PDA

View Full Version : U36 Preview: Next Week

Cocomajobo
06-21-2017, 04:23 PM
Hello, all! We'd like to give you a heads up that we currently plan on previewing U36 on Lammania at some point next week. Likely the 27th-29th but that is subject to change as we nail down a stable build.

This preview should include:

- All 5 new quests (Though one is very likely not be particularly close to being finished and will likely not be in much of a shape for players to actually get a sense for. It it should be able to be completed even if it's just by us adding a lever at the front that completes the quest, though, to continue the arc)
- The new Public Area
- The Battle Engineer changes (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/487116-U36-Artificer-amp-Battle-Engineer-Changes?p=5981182&viewfull=1#post5981182)
- General Balance changes (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/487447-Upcoming-Systems-Changes-for-U36?p=5986004&viewfull=1#post5986004)
- A host of quality of life changes/fixes

We'd love to have you come, experience the preview, and tell us what you think! We almost certainly will be holding a Dev event where some of us from the team will be online to answer questions and run some of the content with you one of the nights it is up from 8-10 Eastern. More exact details on this will follow in the coming days!

Livmo
06-21-2017, 04:32 PM
Hello, all! We'd like to give you a heads up that we currently plan on previewing U36 on Lammania at some point next week. Likely the 27th-29th but that is subject to change as we nail down a stable build.

- All 5 new quests (Though one is very likely not be particularly close to being finished and will likely not be in much of a shape for players to actually get a sense for. It it should be able to be completed even if it's just by us adding a lever at the front that completes the quest, though, to continue the arc)
- The new Public Area
- The Battle Engineer changes (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/487116-U36-Artificer-amp-Battle-Engineer-Changes?p=5981182&viewfull=1#post5981182)
- General Balance changes (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/487447-Upcoming-Systems-Changes-for-U36?p=5986004&viewfull=1#post5986004)

We'd love to have you come, experience the preview, and tell us what you think! We almost certainly will be holding a Dev event where some of us from the team will be online to answer questions and run some of the content with you one of the nights it is up from 8-10 Eastern. More exact details on this will follow in the coming days!

Per chance will the lost ship buffs bug be fixed?

(these are not disappearing buffs, but have to be re-purchased because another guildy and I were making ship buff changes at teh same time in different instances as best I can recall)

I don't want to purchase another XP shrine and Farshifter, just to lose them again. I don't mind replacing the 3 other plat buffs we lost, but am curious about the AS ones.

Ryethiel
06-21-2017, 04:47 PM
5 New quests? wow. I sure hope we're not sacrificing quality for quantity. ;)

Can you, mayhaps, at least tease us with the level range of the quests? :)

Fenix93
06-21-2017, 04:57 PM
A new social area in the forgotten realms ?! how beautiful! With regard to the number of quests ... I guess for the 5th quest you need to do the 4 quests to unlock it ... just like for welhoon, stormhorns, gh, carnival etc ... you classic unlock Knowing that ... being a chane has a quest that unites them all and in the end a named redward ... hopefully ... anyway i'm happy and i do not see the time to test ... i want to see new things = D .

PsychoBlonde
06-21-2017, 05:54 PM
A new social area in the forgotten realms ?! how beautiful!

Why do you assume it's in the forgotten realms?

Livmo
06-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Stuff can change allot between now and go live. When the baby gets here I'm sure there may be a patch or 2 as well.

Seikojin
06-21-2017, 08:42 PM
Awesome! 5 quests! I can hardly wait!

Gargoyle69
06-21-2017, 09:06 PM

- The new Public Area
- A host of quality of life changes/fixes (bolding mine)

Hey Coco, as you say, with such a large number of QoL changes / fixes in there that Lynnabel, Steel and maybe others too have been working on, that are coming in U36, what are the chances of getting a compiled list of them ?

If the answer is "none" then ok that's the answer, but it might be really great if it could be done for a number of reasons, not the least of which are:
* The wonderful DDO Wiki Editors may wish to incorporate many of them into updates to the wiki,
* You might want to copy-n-paste some or all of them into the release notes,
* Build additional goodwill b/w the community and the devs when they see just how much has been done in this area, and
* Posterity may smile upon the additional clarity & time it may save in future player posts in the forum asking about such and such a feature/bug/issue and whether it was / when it was resolved etc etc :cool:

Thoughts ?

Seikojin
06-21-2017, 11:11 PM
(bolding mine)

Hey Coco, as you say, with such a large number of QoL changes / fixes in there that Lynnabel, Steel and maybe others too have been working on, that are coming in U36, what are the chances of getting a compiled list of them ?

If the answer is "none" then ok that's the answer, but it might be really great if it could be done for a number of reasons, not the least of which are:
* The wonderful DDO Wiki Editors may wish to incorporate many of them into updates to the wiki,
* You might want to copy-n-paste some or all of them into the release notes,
* Build additional goodwill b/w the community and the devs when they see just how much has been done in this area, and
* Posterity may smile upon the additional clarity & time it may save in future player posts in the forum asking about such and such a feature/bug/issue and whether it was / when it was resolved etc etc :cool:

Thoughts ?

Not trying to be cold, however they are most likely testing and vetting the changelist/release notes from now (or earlier), until the day before lamannia gets the update.

Gargoyle69
06-21-2017, 11:55 PM
Not trying to be cold, however they are most likely testing and vetting the changelist/release notes from now (or earlier), until the day before lamannia gets the update.

That's normal, and I wasn't requesting a complete set of release notes prematurely.

I just meant that there a large set of small changes / fixes / QoL improvements scattered around a number of threads over many pages, it'd be great to have a list of them all in one place.

Heck, I guess if the playerbase as a whole were keen on it, we could do it /shrug. I just thought if they were doing one anyway it'd save doubling up.

Seikojin
06-22-2017, 12:04 AM
That's normal, and I wasn't requesting a complete set of release notes prematurely.

I just meant that there a large set of small changes / fixes / QoL improvements scattered around a number of threads over many pages, it'd be great to have a list of them all in one place.

Heck, I guess if the playerbase as a whole were keen on it, we could do it /shrug. I just thought if they were doing one anyway it'd save doubling up.

Trust me, I hear ya. I know they could say, Subject to Change: Tentative Release notes for Lamannia U36...

However we all have seen the pitchfork bonanza when Words do not match the experience. :D

Sqrlmonger
06-22-2017, 01:27 AM

Can we get that list? Even if you have to caveat it with "we want to do all of these but not all are a certainty" we will understand. Just use big bright bold letters for the slower among us.

Seriously, though....we want a list. QoL fixes have been in high demand and short supply!

edit: And can we get a dev to comment on this very serious issue?

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/487450-Optional-XP-Ransack-is-Busted

PS - I already bug reported it, but it would be nice to see a public acknowledgement of the issue, and a comment on a time frame for fixing it. Lets be honest, it would be a priority #1 Hotfix issue if it was not applying the penalty at all =P

Nachomammashouse
06-22-2017, 04:33 AM

- The new Public Area

5 new quests is exciting. The last time we had 5 new quests aside from an expansion was High Road, which was November 2012. Although u29 had 2 new quests and 3 epified raids.

Wizza
06-22-2017, 06:04 AM
I have to agree. 5 quests and not the usual 1-3 is refreshing.

But if the bosses have 600k hp again, I wont even bother buying the pack.

irnimnode
06-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Will we get more than one shot at u36 or will will it be just 27th thru 29th and then it will go live?

Cocomajobo
06-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Will we get more than one shot at u36 or will will it be just 27th thru 29th and then it will go live?

Our current schedule only has one lammania preview for U36 slotted. That could change, depending on how next weeks preview goes, but I would suggest making your plans around the assumption that this will be the only Lammania preview for U36.

Can you, mayhaps, at least tease us with the level range of the quests? :)

I believe that the Heroic versions are level 15 and the Legendary versions are level 31 currently.

The adventure pack in U36 takes place in the Forgotten Realms, yes.

If such a comprehensive list were to be compiled it would be in release notes (either for Lamma or when U36 goes live) and not before.

masterofthewand
06-22-2017, 09:36 AM
This update cant happen fast enough.

Sam-u-r-eye
06-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Am super excited.
I look forward to giving feedback!

sirgog
06-22-2017, 10:44 AM

If it's much less than that, they won't live long enough for us to see what they are capable of.

Ryethiel
06-22-2017, 11:21 AM

While definitely a concern, I'm more worried about the quests as a whole. If u35 is anything to go by, we're gonna get more endless, unadorned hallways filled with monsters, and levers that are magically locked, until all enemies are defeated.

I guess we'll see.

Loromir
06-22-2017, 11:37 AM

Because they have said before hand it will take place in the Underdark.

Gratch
06-22-2017, 12:18 PM

Dwarfs vs. Drow war in the Stonelands? I thought Stonelands were more about goblins, giants, orcs, hydras, wemics and such. Maybe Underdark below the Stonelands? Maybe Stonelands is a different Update.

More quests but shorter quests (I'd guess previous Underdark quests are short to med in length). Wonder if by "SHORT" Sev meant like previous Underdark quests or more like the really short Sharn Syndicate quest series.

Though having one of them be walk in and pull a lever to complete sounds too short :) . I'm sure they'll fix it in post (it will be a really giant lever that fights back and splits out hydra lever heads).

Are there goblins?

Steve_Howe
06-22-2017, 12:21 PM

Pretty sure they said "Stonelands."

That's in the Forgotten Realms, btw.

Cocomajobo
06-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Dwarfs vs. Drow war in the Stonelands. More quests but shorter quests (I'd guess previous Underdark quests are short to med in length). Wonder if by "SHORT" Sev meant like previous Underdark quests or more like the really short Sharn Syndicate quest series.

None of the U36 quests are as (likely) short as something like Dirty Laundry or Stand your Ground but none of them are as long as any of the Slavers dungeons for instance. Having played most of them a fair bit at this point I would classify them all as relatively standard DDO dungeon length (they range from roughly 20-40 minutes average completion time for a moderate flower sniffer like me).

Though having one of them be walk in and pull a lever to complete sounds too short :) . I'm sure they'll fix it in post (it will be a really giant lever that fights back and splits out hydra lever heads).

To be clear, that would just be a temporary thing specifically for the preview and would be changed by the time the quest went live. The only reason I bring it up/we may do it is because the dungeon in question is actually the first one in the chain and is required flagging for the capstone. All the flagging quest stuff is already in and functioning and we'd like people to be able to preview the capstone even if the first quest isn't ready to be previewed (because the capstone, in my opinion, is quite fun). =]

Cocomajobo
06-22-2017, 12:33 PM

The plan at the start of the year was for U36 content to take place in the Stonelands (as mentioned in the producers letter). That had to change in the past few months and the adventure pack primarily now takes place in the Underdark focusing on REDACTED and REDACTED with an emphasis on REDACTED. ;)

Ryethiel
06-22-2017, 12:47 PM
None of the U36 quests are as (likely) short as something like Dirty Laundry or Stand your Ground but none of them are as long as any of the Slavers dungeons for instance. Having played most of them a fair bit at this point I would classify them all as relatively standard DDO dungeon length (they range from roughly 20-40 minutes average completion time for a moderate flower sniffer like me).

To be clear, that would just be a temporary thing specifically for the preview and would be changed by the time the quest went live. The only reason I bring it up/we may do it is because the dungeon in question is actually the first one in the chain and is required flagging for the capstone. All the flagging quest stuff is already in and functioning and we'd like people to be able to preview the capstone even if the first quest isn't ready to be previewed (because the capstone, in my opinion, is quite fun). =]

Thanks for the info, Coco. Sounds cool. I really hope to be surprised with a complete shift in quest design, as opposed to most of what we've been seeing recently. I really look forward to testing everything out. :)

Loromir
06-22-2017, 01:07 PM

That's in the Forgotten Realms, btw.

They changed gears on us. Stonelands is on the back burner for now....from what I understand.

Nachomammashouse
06-22-2017, 02:16 PM
The plan at the start of the year was for U36 content to take place in the Stonelands (as mentioned in the producers letter). That had to change in the past few months and the adventure pack primarily now takes place in the Underdark focusing on REDACTED and REDACTED with an emphasis on REDACTED. ;)

I'm kinda bummed that it's not Stonelands, but after seeing a very cool revisit of the Underdark in Search and Rescue, I'm looking forward to more. And a new public area... a town in the Underdark maybe?

Selvera
06-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Wonder if by "SHORT" Sev meant like previous Underdark quests or more like the really short Sharn Syndicate quest series.

How many underdark quests have you played? I only found one in that slayer zone no matter how hard I try.

Or are you including the Sschindylryn quests which -technically- happen in the underdark, very specifically one city found therein, and are not in the under-dark slayer zone?

I certainly hope these show up in the underdark slayer zone; such a big beautiful slayer zone that is so underutilized. A teleportation NPC at the riz-malog portal or the king's forest portal (in the underdark) should do the trick to remove the run for those who want to repeat them each life.

Cocomajobo
06-22-2017, 02:26 PM
I certainly hope these show up in the underdark slayer zone;

The U36 quests are not attached to the Underdark wilderness area. Instead they can all be accessed from the new public area.

Ryethiel
06-22-2017, 02:35 PM
I think It's rather obvious why they couldn't be in the wilderness area, although I agree, that would have been very cool.

The reason is because there's no Heroic version of the Underdark wilderness zone, let alone the King's Forest. I'm willing to bet they considered it, but probably just didn't feel it would have been worth the time to convert it over.

PuppiesAndRainbows
06-22-2017, 03:37 PM
The U36 quests are not attached to the Underdark wilderness area. Instead they can all be accessed from the new public area.

Will the new public area be a new way to get to the Forgotten Realms?

Currently to get to the Forgotten Realms/Eveningstar the Web of Chaos chain needs to be completed.
Those are 3 level 16 quests.

There are already 4 level 15 quests on the Forgotten Realms side.
Disciples of Shar
Escape Plan
Search and Rescue
Shadow of a Doubt

The new pack will add another 5 quests at level 15 to Forgotten Realms.

The reason I ask is that I was grouping with someone who was in their first life.
We were going through the quests from low to high.
So some of the group could get to Eveningstar with the Key to the City, but others could not.

Gratch
06-22-2017, 04:58 PM
How many underdark quests have you played? I only found one in that slayer zone no matter how hard I try.

Or are you including the Sschindylryn quests which -technically- happen in the underdark, very specifically one city found therein, and are not in the under-dark slayer zone?

I certainly hope these show up in the underdark slayer zone; such a big beautiful slayer zone that is so underutilized. A teleportation NPC at the riz-malog portal or the king's forest portal (in the underdark) should do the trick to remove the run for those who want to repeat them each life.

As per the lore of FR, I consider most everything underground FR to be Underdark (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Underdark) so encompassing the Sschind area as well (and the four Sschind quests being short to med length). While we do have an "underdark" quest area that was probably named just to keep things simple for players, I think they should have had a little more specific naming and lore rather than just generic "underdark" as its name.

Steve_Howe
06-22-2017, 05:24 PM

That's very disappointing. :(

Gargoyle69
06-22-2017, 05:50 PM
If such a comprehensive list were to be compiled it would be in release notes (either for Lamma or when U36 goes live) and not before.

Fair enough. Thanks for the response Coco.

Fenix93
06-23-2017, 01:51 AM

For a long time they say that the new area and in the forgotten Realm's and is set in the Stonelands.

Arch-Necromancer
06-23-2017, 08:28 AM

Currently to get to the Forgotten Realms/Eveningstar the Web of Chaos chain needs to be completed.

Disciples of Shar
Escape Plan
Search and Rescue
Shadow of a Doubt

The reason I ask is that I was grouping with someone who was in their first life.
So some of the group could get to Eveningstar with the Key to the City, but others could not.

I pointed out the same problem in this thread:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/487221-Heroic-MotU

If new quests are going to be level 15 then there are even more reasons to consider making the Web of Chaos quest chain and Beyond the Rift quest level 14 (or at least 15) to remove the need to play level 16 quests to be able to play level 15 quests in Eveningstar.

Loromir
06-23-2017, 08:28 AM

Opportunity missed. This is so disappointing. Underdark is such an underutilized space, it would be great to see come quest entrances added there.

Loromir
06-23-2017, 08:30 AM

Disciples of Shar
Escape Plan
Search and Rescue
Shadow of a Doubt

There is the cheese way of logging out and relogging in the Eveningstar Hall of Heroes.

psykopeta
06-23-2017, 08:31 AM
Opportunity missed. This is so disappointing. Underdark is such an underutilized space, it would be great to see come quest entrances added there.

yay and ppl getting lost in there trying to find the entrance would be awesome lol (now at least the door is shown in the map xD)

sudzz
06-23-2017, 10:10 AM

Disciples of Shar
Escape Plan
Search and Rescue
Shadow of a Doubt

Many of the Iconic Heroes start at lvl 15 in Estar, plus if you have access you can log to Estar or Eberron at start screen time so really there is no need to run lvl 16 quests on you lvl 14/15 or lower, and if you have a key to city from a tr then you can also use that at any lvl.

Jappy
06-23-2017, 10:15 AM
I think Lamannia should be open longer than 3 days or atleast through the weekend when people have time to play, most people have to work through the week and doesn't give them as much time to get their char from main server max him out and roll up to the new quests. Or have it open a 2nd time both of these would be very helpful.

Loromir
06-23-2017, 10:16 AM
yay and ppl getting lost in there trying to find the entrance would be awesome lol (now at least the door is shown in the map xD)

People would learn their way around if they had a reason to go in there.

Just like they have Wheloon, Storm Horns, Vale, Orchard...etc.

Cocomajobo
06-23-2017, 10:37 AM
I think Lamannia should be open longer than 3 days or atleast through the weekend when people have time to play

Our current typical Lammania scheduling scheme is to aim for Tuesday through Thursday previews. We specifically no longer do weekend previews (including, if we can help it, Fridays). In addition, Mondays are typically reserved for being able to verify the preview build before releasing (this allows devs to crunch and get last minute changes in over the weekend if need be which is not possible if we set the codelock deadline for the Friday before a Monday preview).

We recognize that this scheduling does not work for everyone but it is not likely to change.

Or have it open a 2nd time both of these would be very helpful.

I'd love to get a second preview push in, however, our current timeline has constraints which make that difficult for U36. If things go poorly next week it is a possibility that we could see another preview shortly after but that is not something we are in any way committing to at this time.

Thar
06-23-2017, 11:10 AM

Disciples of Shar
Escape Plan
Search and Rescue
Shadow of a Doubt

hall of heros allows transport although you have to log out to do so.

Jappy
06-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Our current typical Lammania scheduling scheme is to aim for Tuesday through Thursday previews. We specifically no longer do weekend previews (including, if we can help it, Fridays). In addition, Mondays are typically reserved for being able to verify the preview build before releasing (this allows devs to crunch and get last minute changes in over the weekend if need be which is not possible if we set the codelock deadline for the Friday before a Monday preview).

We recognize that this scheduling does not work for everyone but it is not likely to change.

I'd love to get a second preview push in, however, our current timeline has constraints which make that difficult for U36. If things go poorly next week it is a possibility that we could see another preview shortly after but that is not something we are in any way committing to at this time.

Well thank you for the response. Dangit, I miss the days of weekend testing those gave me time to enjoy the new features implemented. anyhow thank you again for the response.

Noir
06-24-2017, 06:47 AM

I think the main reason for not having it in the Underdark Slayer area is that it would be a lvl 20+ and would also require the purchase of the MOTU Expansion in order to access the U36 content.

Arch-Necromancer
06-24-2017, 08:34 AM
hall of heros allows transport although you have to log out to do so.

Only VIPs have Hall of Heroes passport for log off travel. You can buy the passport in DDO store even if you are not VIP, but I don't see this as an argument for making quests to get to Eveningstar higher level then quests in Eveningstar. No one is going to buy the passport or become VIP just because of that. They are just going to play these quests under or overleveled.

Many of the Iconic Heroes start at lvl 15 in Estar, plus if you have access you can log to Estar or Eberron at start screen time so really there is no need to run lvl 16 quests on you lvl 14/15 or lower, and if you have a key to city from a tr then you can also use that at any lvl.

Iconics have even bigger problem! If you travel to Eberron through Eveningstar Cavern (maybe to go to guild airship for buffs), you can't return to Eveningstar without finishing those level 16 quests!

So you have to play level 16 quests with level 15 iconic so that you can play level 15 quests in Eveninstar that are designed (primarily) for Iconics (???)

This makes even less sense!

You also can't get Key to Eveningstar without farming 125 purple dragon knights favor, and for that you need expansions which you can't play even if you are VIP because they are not included in VIP status. And you can't buy them in DDO store with DDO points either.

sirgog
06-24-2017, 09:17 AM

Disciples of Shar
Escape Plan
Search and Rescue
Shadow of a Doubt

IMO that chain should be dropped to level 14.

It was made 16 to fill an urgent need at the time - more high level heroic quests.

There is now no shortage of such quests, and with the revised XP curve, first time Reaper bonus and other changes there's really no reason to keep them at 14.

While some of the loot from the chain is solid at level, none of it would be problematic if dropped to ML 14 either.

Rog
06-24-2017, 10:47 AM
I believe U36 should be the Stonelands update they talked about at the beginning of the year.

Arch-Necromancer
06-24-2017, 02:53 PM
IMO that chain should be dropped to level 14.

It was made 16 to fill an urgent need at the time - more high level heroic quests.

There is now no shortage of such quests, and with the revised XP curve, first time Reaper bonus and other changes there's really no reason to keep them at 14.

While some of the loot from the chain is solid at level, none of it would be problematic if dropped to ML 14 either.

14 would be the best choice IMO too (but even 15 would fix the issue if 14 is too much difference).

The lack of quests on upper heroic could then be filled by making heroic versions of other MoTU quests.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/487221-Heroic-MotU

Satyriasys
06-25-2017, 06:05 PM

Another colossal missed opportunity by this dev team. Why even have explorer areas anymore? Why even call yourself a D&D game when you can get to the Underdark without going into the Underdark. What a gigantic pointless waste of space that zone ended up being. This was a perfect opportunity to update and enhance that beautiful area but I guess it's purpose is just to remain a chore for people to rush through once per life to unlock portals.

Xahtep
06-25-2017, 06:52 PM
Coco, do you know what will be the price range of the new pack? just an aproximate would be great to plan accordingly.

PermaBanned
06-25-2017, 09:36 PM
Only VIPs have Hall of Heroes passport for log off travel. ... Iconics have even bigger problem! If you travel to Eberron through Eveningstar Cavern (maybe to go to guild airship for buffs), you can't return to Eveningstar without finishing those level 16 quests!

So you have to play level 16 quests with level 15 iconic so that you can play level 15 quests in Eveninstar that are designed (primarily) for Iconics (???)

This makes even less sense!Maybe that's why Iconic Heros have built-in access to the Hall of Heros via the Character Select screen aka Passport?

PermaBanned
06-25-2017, 10:05 PM
The plan at the start of the year was for U36 content to take place in the Stonelands (as mentioned in the producers letter). That had to change in the past few months...
I do hope someone there is keeping a list of "Here's some stuff we planned to do but WotC got in the way..."

Idk whether this is another one of those, but that wording reminds me of why "It {never} Came from the Dessert" ;)

raclaw
06-26-2017, 02:51 AM

No Stonelands... No Anauroch.... :( well, although it will be Ravenloft

Fenix93
06-26-2017, 03:16 AM
No Stonelands... No Anauroch.... :( well, although it will be Ravenloft

Could it be ... that this chane will then take us to Ravenloft? ... or is it a separate story that does not center anything? ... because I'm a little bit wondering how we'll get to Ravenloft ... the ' The only way and the DemonWebs ... but ... with what reason and for what mission should we go to this universe? This I want to understand ... I hope the update 36 will light up this mystery.

Cocomajobo
06-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Another colossal missed opportunity by this dev team. Why even have explorer areas anymore? Why even call yourself a D&D game when you can get to the Underdark without going into the Underdark. What a gigantic pointless waste of space that zone ended up being. This was a perfect opportunity to update and enhance that beautiful area but I guess it's purpose is just to remain a chore for people to rush through once per life to unlock portals.

There are multiple problems with adding new quests into the Underdark wilderness area not the least of which is that in order to access that wilderness area requires the purchase of the Menace of the Underdark expansion. We don't want to lock a normal adventure packs content in a place that VIP's can not access it without the purchase of an expansion.

Coco, do you know what will be the price range of the new pack? just an aproximate would be great to plan accordingly.

Pricing and sales are not something that I have any knowledge of. In addition, I'm pretty sure we simply don't announce those sorts of things beforehand, generally the prices seen on Lammania are always entirely placeholders.

Could it be ... that this chane will then take us to Ravenloft? ... or is it a separate story that does not center anything? ... because I'm a little bit wondering how we'll get to Ravenloft ... the ' The only way and the DemonWebs ... but ... with what reason and for what mission should we go to this universe? This I want to understand ... I hope the update 36 will light up this mystery.

The Adventure Pack in U36 does not relate to Ravenloft in any way that I am aware of.

dunklezhan
06-26-2017, 11:03 AM

There are multiple problems with adding new quests into the Underdark wilderness area not the least of which is that in order to access that wilderness area requires the purchase of the Menace of the Underdark expansion. We don't want to lock a normal adventure packs content in a place that VIP's can not access it without the purchase of an expansion.

Understood - but that's still a real shame. We need more reasons to go in the Underdark explorer area - it's fantastic and massive. I don't know what the solution really is, because you're right about not expansion-gating non-expansion content... but I want more quests in the underdark.

Could they not maybe have 2 entrances? Or the new public area have 2 ways in, both of which are in explorer areas but one is not expansion gated?

A dirty great new rift between worlds in, for example, Ataraxia (the dwarves did what dwarves do... and delved too deep lol). Allow fast teleport there once you've been, like the Vale, and you've got a heroic and an epic entrance, both of which require an initial jaunt through the wilderness, and an excuse for a new quest in ataraxia to make that first journey through the void.

UurlockYgmeov
06-26-2017, 01:05 PM
The Adventure Pack in U36 does not relate to Ravenloft in any way that I am aware of.

except for the mere coincidence that they are coming out prior to Ravenloft, are in the same game world, and have many of the same people working on them? :P

Rykka
06-26-2017, 04:54 PM

Lorewise, Ravenloft exists in it's own pocket dimension and can extend it's "mists" that ensnare and trap adventurers, to any other setting. You don't don't need a reason to wind up there, AFAIK.

thomascoolone64
06-26-2017, 05:39 PM

- The new Public Area

So old Characters that were there from before will be wipped yes?

Cocomajobo
06-26-2017, 07:35 PM
So old Characters that were there from before will be wipped yes?

Yes. That should always be assumed to be the case unless we note otherwise.

Jappy
06-27-2017, 12:50 AM
Yes. That should always be assumed to be the case unless we note otherwise.

Dang, I wish I could get on Lamannia tomorrow but I'm on vacation and whenever I try to download Lamannia on my laptop it crashes in the launcher when it says trying to find akami list or something like that so I'll just wait till Wednesday night to get on.

badboy486
06-27-2017, 08:58 AM
Now we wait. :D maybe 3-5pm, Hopefully sooner.

MistaMagic
06-27-2017, 10:08 AM
is it on schedule for today?

Sam-u-r-eye
06-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Now we wait.
bumpbump

what's our eta?

~cheers~

Cocomajobo
06-27-2017, 10:33 AM
is it on schedule for today?

I will not be able to answer that question until 1:30-2:00ish PM Eastern. From that point, in the best case scenario we will be open around 3:30ish Eastern. In the second best scenario we'd be open either very late tonight or sometime tomorrow. In the worst case scenario I wouldn't be able to tell you when we'd be open.

Regardless, I'll let you know! =]

rmstevens
06-27-2017, 01:02 PM
I will not be able to answer that question until 1:30-2:00ish PM Eastern. From that point, in the best case scenario we will be open around 3:30ish Eastern. In the second best scenario we'd be open either very late tonight or sometime tomorrow. In the worst case scenario I wouldn't be able to tell you when we'd be open.

Regardless, I'll let you know! =]

Any news ?

irnimnode
06-27-2017, 01:16 PM
Yeah it ain't open yet.

Cocomajobo
06-27-2017, 01:29 PM
We should be opening today! Will likely give an ETA within an hour.

badboy486
06-27-2017, 01:32 PM
We should be opening today! Will likely give an ETA within an hour.
Awesome! Thanks !

rmstevens
06-27-2017, 02:02 PM
Thanks

Cocomajobo
06-27-2017, 02:15 PM
Current ETA: I expect the Preview to be up and available for players by 5:30-6:00 PM EST

SerPounce
06-27-2017, 02:17 PM
Current ETA: I expect the Preview to be up and available for players by 5:30-6:00 PM EST

Sweet! Any chance of notes before then?

Steve_Howe
06-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Lamannia client updating now...

PsychoBlonde
06-27-2017, 03:29 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-k0tC5kGz9Hg/T3IEfmSu16I/AAAAAAAAFAI/7qV-_rEWwv4/s640/funny-meme-animals-soon-005.jpg

Greeka
06-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Most times with new content there tends to be new named loot. Any chance of seeing a thread come up with a preview of said items if any exist?

Gremmlynn
06-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Only VIPs have Hall of Heroes passport for log off travel. You can buy the passport in DDO store even if you are not VIP, but I don't see this as an argument for making quests to get to Eveningstar higher level then quests in Eveningstar. No one is going to buy the passport or become VIP just because of that. They are just going to play these quests under or overleveled.

Iconics have even bigger problem! If you travel to Eberron through Eveningstar Cavern (maybe to go to guild airship for buffs), you can't return to Eveningstar without finishing those level 16 quests!

This makes even less sense!

You also can't get Key to Eveningstar without farming 125 purple dragon knights favor, and for that you need expansions which you can't play even if you are VIP because they are not included in VIP status. And you can't buy them in DDO store with DDO points either.FR based iconic characters also get the HoH passport as part of owning the iconic race.

Gremmlynn
06-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Another colossal missed opportunity by this dev team. Why even have explorer areas anymore? Why even call yourself a D&D game when you can get to the Underdark without going into the Underdark. What a gigantic pointless waste of space that zone ended up being. This was a perfect opportunity to update and enhance that beautiful area but I guess it's purpose is just to remain a chore for people to rush through once per life to unlock portals.To do so they would need to make a heroic version of the zone as well as break it off the MotU expansion. Makes no sense to put level 15 quests in an explorer zone one must be level 20 to enter or to sell people a quest pack they may not be able to access due to not having an epic expansion.

So, likely not so much a colossal missed opportunity as much as preferring to release a 5 quest pack, rather than fewer along with whatever work would be needed to make a heroic version of the underdark tied to this pack.

Satyriasys
07-02-2017, 10:36 AM

To do so they would need to make a heroic version of the zone as well as break it off the MotU expansion. Makes no sense to put level 15 quests in an explorer zone one must be level 20 to enter or to sell people a quest pack they may not be able to access due to not having an epic expansion.

So, likely not so much a colossal missed opportunity as much as preferring to release a 5 quest pack, rather than fewer along with whatever work would be needed to make a heroic version of the underdark tied to this pack.

This is a problem and where I disagree strongly with your design philosophy. If you are going to spend the time and resources to create a gigantic waste of space it should be made available to everyone to allow for future development or at least for those who buy this new Underdark pack. It's not like it's serving any other purpose. It's not like there is lots to do there right now or contains any named item drops which could hinder your MotU sales. Now we are in this unfortunate situation where we have a beautiful representation of the Underdark in game that is completely unrelated to the quests which supposedly reside there. This is not the spirit of D&D

Lynnabel
07-02-2017, 10:51 AM
This is a problem and where I disagree strongly with your design philosophy. If you are going to spend the time and resources to create a gigantic waste of space it should be made available to everyone to allow for future development or at least for those who buy this new Underdark pack. It's not like it's serving any other purpose. It's not like there is lots to do there right now or contains any named item drops which could hinder your MotU sales. Now we are in this unfortunate situation where we have a beautiful representation of the Underdark in game that is completely unrelated to the quests which supposedly reside there. This is not the spirit of D&D

The time needed to make a heroic underdark and to pry it out of Motu would be about as long as it took to make it in the first place. It isn't a switch we can flip at will, it's a complicated and involved procedure that took a large team a long time to build the first time. If you are okay with delaying U36 for about a year and the only thing that changed was the location of the public area to he inside the underdark, then okay.

Doctorivil
07-03-2017, 03:37 AM
The time needed to make a heroic underdark and to pry it out of Motu would be about as long as it took to make it in the first place.

I understand that remaking the whole wilderness would be a huge amount of work just to set some new heroic packs in there.
But what if:
• The new pack is Epic only, with its events happening after the MotU quest/timeline.
• Both the new pack and the MotU expansion grant acess to the Underdark wilderness (not Sschindylryn nor Demonweb).

Why do i think this may be a good option:
• Some epic only content feels nice now and then, so that when we get to epics it feels "fresh" and not just repeating the same quests we did on heroic. (and yes I know there's plenty of content so that you can minimize this but still, that epic only feel is part of why MotU is cool).
• The Underdark is by lore a dungerous place not suited for the common adventurer, so it "feels right" that it keeps on being an Epic only wilderness (we don't want any unnecessary wannabe heros deaths).
• As devs you can lean on a very nicely done wilderness with plenty of space to grow in content.

I realize it may be to late to do anything about this now, but I feel it's an interesting idea for future packs in the Underdark area.

GeoffWatson
07-03-2017, 03:43 AM
The time needed to make a heroic underdark and to pry it out of Motu would be about as long as it took to make it in the first place. It isn't a switch we can flip at will, it's a complicated and involved procedure that took a large team a long time to build the first time. If you are okay with delaying U36 for about a year and the only thing that changed was the location of the public area to he inside the underdark, then okay.

Why is it so hard to reuse old quests?
There are several quests with partially reused maps or the like.
Do you ritually burn all your design data or something?

Arch-Necromancer
07-03-2017, 08:16 AM

You could have at least changed the heroic level of quests needed to reach Eveningstar to at least 15 to avoid playing those quests over/underlevel to be able to reach and play level 15 quests in Eveningstar.

And those new U36 quests could have been heroic level 16 to make up for the level 16 quest loss.

There are 4 level 16 quests on a trip from Eberron to Eveningstar:
The Lords of Dust
Servants of the Overlord
The Spinner of Shadows
Beyond the Rift

You don't even need to change the creatures in quests because these quests are easier than some new level 15 quests like Search and Rescue. You could also update the loot in these quests in the process (like you did Sharn).

Lynnabel
07-03-2017, 09:26 AM
Why is it so hard to reuse old quests?
There are several quests with partially reused maps or the like.
Do you ritually burn all your design data or something?

Quests are complicated mazes of connected systems. The time it takes to turn an old quest into an epic version is roughly the time it takes to just make an entirely new quest. Going in reverse, from epic to heroic, takes the same amount of time. I wish there were just a way to click a checkbox and scale everything from trap-DCs to monster placement to an appropriate level, but our quests are very involved and have a lot of moving parts. Reusing a map/landblock/space is one thing, reusing everything else is very hard.

Plus, there are always situations where reusing something is impossible. For example, when we were making Mark of Death, we actually had to fully remake the Ascension Chamber interior. It looks just like the heroic Abbot raid room, but it isn't.

Lynnabel
07-03-2017, 09:27 AM
You could have at least changed the heroic level of quests needed to reach Eveningstar to at least 15 to avoid playing those quests over/underlevel to be able to reach and play level 15 quests in Eveningstar.

I'd recommend holding on to your Key to Eveningstar for situations like that.

You could also update the loot in these quests in the process (like you did Sharn).

Updating the loot of a pack takes as long as making new items entirely.

LeoLionxxx
07-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Updating the loot of a pack takes as long as making new items entirely.[/QUOTE]

But is item creation something that takes a long time? Ignoring the time taken to design and discuss the item, implementing should be pretty simple and straightforward process by now, shouldn't it?

Very rough draft of OOP design:

DDOItem{
var name
var material
var ActiveEffects
var thumbnail
var durability
//etc.
}

equippableItem extends DDOItem{
var itemSlot
var minLV
var ArrayList<PassiveEffects>
//etc.
}

weapon expends equipableItem{
var ArrayList<effect> effectsOnHit //References to effects in DB
var damage[2];
var critProfile
}

BastardSword extends weapon{
damage = {1, 10} //1D10
//etc.
}

AwesomeSword extends BastardSword{
name = "Awesome Sword";
weapon-type = Bastard sword;
material = crystal;
minLV = 5;
effectsOnHit = {vorpal, flaming} //Reference to effects in DB
passiveEffects = {deadly, accuracy, vitality} //Scale according to the ML
//etc.
}

Feel free to tell me how very, hilariously wrong I am.

Orchater
07-03-2017, 11:20 AM
For the past 3 days now I've tried to log onto Lamannia, the world is down.

SerPounce
07-03-2017, 02:03 PM

Interesting. It's good to know these things because it helps us direct feedback. Is that true no matter what the change is, or only for total rewords like the Sharn stuff?

In particular I've wondered how labor intensive it would be to update all old *raid* gear to the current lootgen/Cannith levels? E.g. ToD rings have +6 stat enhancement and +2 stat insightful (with upgrade); ML18 lootgen (non-masterful) is +9 enhancement and +4 insightful. Would it really be as much work as making a new item to update those stats to the modern standards?

I'm not doubting what you're saying at all, I know very little about programming, I'm just curious.

Silverleafeon
07-03-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote of the day:

(Party:): [Party] ______ : ______ I hate the underdark

Many thanks for not dropping these five dungeons in one of the two worst wildernesses in the entire game.

Arch-Necromancer
07-03-2017, 05:56 PM
For the past 3 days now I've tried to log onto Lamannia, the world is down.

Yes, it is down. Lamannia is no longer open for players.

Quests are complicated mazes of connected systems. The time it takes to turn an old quest into an epic version is roughly the time it takes to just make an entirely new quest. Going in reverse, from epic to heroic, takes the same amount of time. I wish there were just a way to click a checkbox and scale everything from trap-DCs to monster placement to an appropriate level, but our quests are very involved and have a lot of moving parts. Reusing a map/landblock/space is one thing, reusing everything else is very hard.

Plus, there are always situations where reusing something is impossible. For example, when we were making Mark of Death, we actually had to fully remake the Ascension Chamber interior. It looks just like the heroic Abbot raid room, but it isn't.

Well, this is a very obvious sign of bad application design.

I don't have any experience in online applications such as MMO game, so I won't judge too much.

But not being able to retrieve data efficiently (crafting recipes), update data (items), reuse data (items, quests). This all sounds like you are using an architecture that was ancient even in 2006. No wonder that every change takes ages to implement with such design.

I shudder at the very thought of how this looks like behind scenes.

It's stupid to ask if you have thought of completely changing it, making it more modular to make the changes easier, making some kind of editor application to help you with updating items, hiring a DBA [trollface].

I will just assume that you did, but made a conclusion that it would be too much work and cause potential unresolvable problems, so you keep torturing yourselves with the design you have.

I can only imagine how it's like, wanting to make the game better, but having to torture yourself for every, even the tiniest change...

Well, all I can do is give you thumbs up for what you have done so far, and what you will do in the future. Don't give up and keep up the good work on making the game better. :)

Seikojin
07-04-2017, 01:06 AM

But is item creation something that takes a long time? Ignoring the time taken to design and discuss the item, implementing should be pretty simple and straightforward process by now, shouldn't it?

Very rough draft of OOP design:

DDOItem{
var name
var material
var ActiveEffects
var thumbnail
var durability
//etc.
}

equippableItem extends DDOItem{
var itemSlot
var minLV
var ArrayList<PassiveEffects>
//etc.
}

weapon expends equipableItem{
var ArrayList<effect> effectsOnHit //References to effects in DB
var damage[2];
var critProfile
}

BastardSword extends weapon{
damage = {1, 10} //1D10
//etc.
}

AwesomeSword extends BastardSword{
name = "Awesome Sword";
weapon-type = Bastard sword;
material = crystal;
minLV = 5;
effectsOnHit = {vorpal, flaming} //Reference to effects in DB
passiveEffects = {deadly, accuracy, vitality} //Scale according to the ML
//etc.
}

Feel free to tell me how very, hilariously wrong I am.

I think it is balancing what the new item is against all the existing items and their nice uses as well as ensuring the newest thing isn't a SoS level of difference.

psykopeta
07-04-2017, 08:06 AM
so it takes so long cause everytime they are starting from scratch... now things like "we fixed these bracers instead of fixing all guard gear" makes sense

omfg starting from scratch, everytime... that's lots of spaghetti code (and i would have changed my mind to something more autoscalable, copiable, and customizable lol)

JOTMON
07-04-2017, 08:55 AM
I'd recommend holding on to your Key to Eveningstar for situations like that.

Can you look into making the key.. better... like 1x/rest instead of the pita cooldown on a clicky that can be interrupted..
or even allowing multiple keys to be used with separate timers.. TR'ing and redoing the entire chain for a second key only to discover that its on the same cooldown...

Hopefully the crew there is working on more high level stuff.. the RTR hamster wheel will only placate players for so long..
I figure you have less than a year before this distraction wears thin..
and all these triple/triple/triple/triple completionists(or as near as they can stomach) will be looking to use these stacked past life buffs for new worthy high level content..

Lynnabel
07-04-2017, 10:57 AM
so it takes so long cause everytime they are starting from scratch... now things like "we fixed these bracers instead of fixing all guard gear" makes sense

omfg starting from scratch, everytime... that's lots of spaghetti code (and i would have changed my mind to something more autoscalable, copiable, and customizable lol)

Scaling guard effects being unable to properly look at relative power levels is not a task I as an intern can fix. However, having a totally broken item isn't great, so I put in some time to at least patch that before we sit down and fix whatever is wrong with guards.

Lynnabel
07-04-2017, 10:59 AM
Well, this is a very obvious sign of bad application design.

It's actually a sign of incredibly detailed and specific tools and a huge amount of information needed to properly create one item, as well as a testament to the complicated nature of DDO and what that complication means in the level of finely tuned details. I wish I could go into more detail.

Lynnabel
07-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Interesting. It's good to know these things because it helps us direct feedback. Is that true no matter what the change is, or only for total rewords like the Sharn stuff?

In particular I've wondered how labor intensive it would be to update all old *raid* gear to the current lootgen/Cannith levels? E.g. ToD rings have +6 stat enhancement and +2 stat insightful (with upgrade); ML18 lootgen (non-masterful) is +9 enhancement and +4 insightful. Would it really be as much work as making a new item to update those stats to the modern standards?

I'm not doubting what you're saying at all, I know very little about programming, I'm just curious.

When we update old stuff, we are changing it internally to a significant degree in a way that can only partially be automated.

KoobTheProud
07-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Hopefully the crew there is working on more high level stuff.. the RTR hamster wheel will only placate players for so long..
I figure you have less than a year before this distraction wears thin..
and all these triple/triple/triple/triple completionists(or as near as they can stomach) will be looking to use these stacked past life buffs for new worthy high level content..

I highly doubt that high level content can be made challenging for t/t/t/t type characters. How much farther can you go than one-shotting?

How long did it take long-term players to conquer Reaper mode exactly? A month? Less?

At some point SSG is going to have to deal with the reality that there are characters out there that are gods from the standpoint of the content and you can't design challenges for gods.

Sam-u-r-eye
07-04-2017, 01:17 PM
I highly doubt that high level content can be made challenging for t/t/t/t type characters. How much farther can you go than one-shotting?

How long did it take long-term players to conquer Reaper mode exactly? A month? Less?

At some point SSG is going to have to deal with the reality that there are characters out there that are gods from the standpoint of the content and you can't design challenges for gods.

If you think it has been conquered then maybe you shouldn't be advising people on difficulty. =p

Wipey
07-04-2017, 01:34 PM

Heh, often those "t/t/t/t" characters/players are not even interested in anything more challenging.
Ironically tough raiding or high skulls now are/has has been done by people that are NOT interested in such stupid grind.

Carry on.

irnimnode
07-05-2017, 03:59 PM
I know what the answer will most likely be but i can not help myself and ask. Will we get another shot at U36?

Cocomajobo
07-05-2017, 04:10 PM
I know what the answer will most likely be but i can not help myself and ask. Will we get another shot at U36?

The preview, for all intents and purposes, went quite well and we feel like we've gotten the majority of actionable feedback that we'd be able to get so our timeline, at this moment, has not changed. Currently, no we do not plan on a second U36 preview (always subject to change).

Draxis
07-05-2017, 05:13 PM
The preview, for all intents and purposes, went quite well and we feel like we've gotten the majority of actionable feedback that we'd be able to get so our timeline, at this moment, has not changed. Currently, no we do not plan on a second U36 preview (always subject to change).

Nor is there as of yet an ETA on U36?

Sam-u-r-eye
07-05-2017, 08:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Rk2NcyHrs&feature=youtu.be

They did the voice overs today. 2-3days? maybe next monday... ...maybe friday?

Seikojin
07-05-2017, 10:21 PM

Prolly July 20th.

Cocomajobo
07-05-2017, 11:30 PM

If there is it's not my place to make the announcement. =]

Loromir
07-06-2017, 06:47 AM
Quote of the day:

(Party:): [Party] ______ : ______ I hate the underdark

Many thanks for not dropping these five dungeons in one of the two worst wildernesses in the entire game.

Just shows how opinions vary. It's my favorite wilderness...I just wish I had more reasons to go in there.

mpetrarca
07-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Quote of the day:(Party:): [Party] ______ : ______ I hate the underdarkMany thanks for not dropping these five dungeons in one of the two worst wildernesses in the entire game.
Just shows how opinions vary. It's my favorite wilderness...I just wish I had more reasons to go in there.I agree that the Underdark is not too bad, but has always seemed a little empty of things to fight. I do think that this shows how little forethought is put into the game, with the game coming up on 12 years it would have been very nice if plans had been made from the start to easily modify parts of the game, and the sad part is they do not seem to have learned when it comes to the new things brought into the game.

JOTMON
07-07-2017, 08:31 AM
I agree that the Underdark is not too bad, but has always seemed a little empty of things to fight. I do think that this shows how little forethought is put into the game, with the game coming up on 12 years it would have been very nice if plans had been made from the start to easily modify parts of the game, and the sad part is they do not seem to have learned when it comes to the new things brought into the game.

I enjoyed the underdark theme its very D&D nostalgic.
its just lacking content in the underdark.. we have a big empty explorer zone just to get to Sschindylryn

I would have liked to have seen it be more like the Menechtarun/Gianthold zones with half a dozen(or more) or more walk up quests
and after pushing back Lolth, open up an underdark city zone center like the market place for trade/commerce/trainers/ as a stepping off spot for questing into more Underdark content..
We did just liberate Sschindylryn from Lolths minions after all.. wouldn't a Sschindylryn map template look a little like the marketplace if players moved in....
and there is still so much more to do in the underdark...

Arch-Necromancer
07-07-2017, 09:35 AM
They should have put other races that live in the Underdark into the wilderness.

If anyone played Baldur's Gate 2, remember how it was done there. You had a drow city, svirfneblin settlement, illithid zone, kuo-toa zone, dragon lair.

We could have had duergar settlements or camps too. Not even this new pack has any duergar in Underdark.

Just drow everywhere.