PDA

View Full Version : Option for no 1-20 respec when ETR'ing

Drekisen
06-15-2017, 09:17 AM
While I can see how this is great for someone who wants to respec certain aspects of their build before going through 20-30 again, for those of us who don't, this is a huge waste of time.

I am currently just trying to rack up epic lives and there is absolutely nothing I want or need to change from level 1-20.

Seems kind of pointless.

Arctigis
06-15-2017, 10:09 AM
While I can see how this is great for someone who wants respec certain aspects of their build before going through 20-30 again, for those of us who don't, this is a huge waste of time.

I am currently just trying to rack up epic lives and there is absolutely nothing I want or need to change from level 1-20.

Seems kind of pointless.

Yeah, it's klunky. Really klunky. I suspect, like a lot of stuff in this Frankenstein's monster of a game,
it was just bolted on top of the existing reincarnation code rather than being implemented as an
entirely separate procedure.

ssgcmwatson
06-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Agreed - it is extremely tedious to re-select all your feats, skill points, spells, etc.

cpw_acc
06-19-2017, 07:22 AM
Also agreed, but I'm sure this has come up before - probably multiple times - and that the devs said that the system simply doesn't record your choices as you level up and so has no way of re-creating those choices during a reincarnation. Providing the ability to do this would require - apparently - a massive overhaul to the entire system.

So while I totally agree, unfortunately I don't see this happening any time soon.

Cordovan
06-19-2017, 10:49 AM
Yeah, it can be quite annoying. It's an unfortunate byproduct of the way the system works, and my understanding is there are technical issues in creating the option you'd like.

Drekisen
06-19-2017, 04:36 PM
Yeah, it can be quite annoying. It's an unfortunately byproduct of the way the system works, and my understanding is there are technical issues in creating the option you'd like.

Thanks for the reply.

I jotted down all the important parts of my build and took screenshots of my hotbars and enhancement trees so it is not so bad.

Hopefully it will go a bit smoother next time :)

Enoach
06-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Yeah, it can be quite annoying. It's an unfortunately byproduct of the way the system works, and my understanding is there are technical issues in creating the option you'd like.

I could see issues with aspects such as a change in the Intelligence Tome as being one initial issue. I could also see that there could be other technical issues.

For me anyway, I've often found that the current system does allow me to make small tweaks not just complete overhauls. Such as adjusting how many skill points I spent in a skill or even adjust an experiment that just didn't work.

I myself maintain a spreadsheet of starting attributes, skill distribution by level as well as feats. Doing this has help me get through the ER process faster.

That being said, it would still be nice to do an ER with TR in one go instead of having to do a complete rebuild just to turn around and TR. That as an option as there are reasons to not TR right away would be nice too.

EllisDee37
06-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Yeah, it can be quite annoying. It's an unfortunately byproduct of the way the system works, and my understanding is there are technical issues in creating the option you'd like.Glin said that it was possible but a bit of a pain. If the playerbase really wanted it they'd implement it.

I can't find the original post, but I did find this exchange:

Retaking the 20 levels just to immediately TR seems like it's going to be a waste of time. You had mentioned that if there's a demand for "Retrain this current life" you guys will code it. I'm voicing my vote to code it, please. :)
I have been asking to keep this on the task list, so much so they are calling it "Erik's Total Reincarnation"...I think that's a joke. But yes, we will be watching the trends in the beginning to see how many Epic characters jump on the ER heart and quickly turn around to HTR. (Voting is also ok. ;) )

The user experience in this case could be simular to ITR -- lv cap [at 28] as a non-iconic character, True reincarnate as an epic character (probably a new Heart of Wood), start at level one with an Epic and Class PL. (Same as quite above w/a couple steps skipped) --
Again, this will not be in U20; I left it out of the OP to keep focus on U20.

There has never been a large outcry from the playerbase to implement "auto-retrain on ETR" so it's never been seriously considered for development.

As for issues with retraining skill points when, say, you applied a +4 int tome at level 18 (so an auto-retrain would have extra unaccounted for skill points from levels 7-17), the current default paths don't always spend all your available skill points so an auto-retrain could do the same thing: Just don't spend them.

The actual in-game experience could be the same as when you start a new iconic life and choose the "accept training" option that blasts you straight up to 15.

For me personally, I'm not sure that I'd vote for auto-retrain. If it were the only option then I'd for sure vote no, as being able to tweak stats/skills/feats on epic reincarnation is something I see as a feature, not a bug.

EllisDee37
06-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Aha, found it. (In the OP of the thread I already quoted, of course.)

For sake of development time, we do not level you back to 20 on the path of your previous [custom] build, that said, if you find re-leveling 20 levels with each ER a deterrent, a "train me on the path of my previous build" option could be added - as an opt-in step in the new reincarnation zone - but is not currently planned for development.

But as mentioned, the playerbase as a whole isn't overly concerned about this. Around six months after epic reincarnation went live, someone posted a thread asking for the feature: Can we speed up the reincarnation process please? (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/447053-Can-we-speed-up-the-reincarnation-process-please)

Only 22 posts in the entire thread, it died on the vine.

sirgog
06-20-2017, 03:17 AM
Count me in as someone else that would appreciate this if it is implemented in future.

INT tome points are indeed the likely sticking point. If someone levels 1 to 30 with an even Int score and no tomes then eats a +4 or better, there's 20 additional skillpoints to allocate.

If they started with an odd Int and ate a +3, or better it's 28, +5 or better it's 30.

If they put level up points into Int, it will be something else again.

It might be possible to distribute these points to skills in a random manner but this could be really ugly on multiclass builds.

mrtreats
06-20-2017, 03:23 AM
I wish they just had an export option that we could use to load our builds for future use like with they /ui load then every level it could ask if i wanna follow my old plan and i just say yes

EllisDee37
06-20-2017, 04:34 AM
I wish they just had an export option that we could use to load our builds for future use like with they /ui load then every level it could ask if i wanna follow my old plan and i just say yesThat would be so good, especially if it were a text file (like the layouts, which are xml files) that I could create with my character builder.

Drekisen
06-20-2017, 03:38 PM
I wish they just had an export option that we could use to load our builds for future use like with they /ui load then every level it could ask if i wanna follow my old plan and i just say yes

Has my vote!

EllisDee37
06-20-2017, 07:15 PM
I had two more thoughts:

1) Regarding int tomes, what happens right now on live if you roll up a brand new character, choose a default path, immediately eat a +6 supreme tome, then level up to 20? Do you get to stay on the path? (I think you do.) Does the default path spend the extra skill points you get from the +6 int tome? (I think it does not.) We can test when lama comes up.

2) If the game were to add "saved builds" like they have saved layouts, the idea would be you could choose a build file at creation and then a snapshot of that build file is saved into your character data (a memo field?) at that point. Further changes to your build file wouldn't have any effect on characters already created with it. I could envision two ways to create a build file:

Simply save a build file of the current character's build with something like "bld layout save xxx". Boom, your build file is created.
Enter a dojo-style area, level from creation to 30, then save that build to a file using "bld layout save xxx". Characters in the live version of this dojo wouldn't be allowed to leave the dojo, as they wouldn't be real characters.

I would dearly love that second option, as it would mean I could officially retire my character builder.

Actual use of the build file in-game would work just like a default path: Choose build path at levelup, or leave the path.

Fedora1
06-20-2017, 07:35 PM
I would love to see this. I usually ETR then (heroic) TR. I waste all that time just clicking things that don't matter to get back to L20, so I can turn around and do a TR.