PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Overpowered Ranged Morninglord, Shadar-Kai, or (Ha!) Deep Gnome Build

DownClan
05-27-2017, 09:50 PM
It's time for me to rack up another 3x Iconic past lives, and I want to try something ranged (i.e. thrown, bow, or xbow). Here're the rules...
- I don't need Bard or Pally as the main class, I have 3x of those already.
- I don't need PDK or Bladeforged, I have 3x of those already.
- I can Cannith Craft pretty much any equipment, and this is my preferred way to gear.
- I am VIP.
- I will spend TP to buy a race or class if necessary.
- 36-point build.
- +6 Supreme Tome.
- Generally I am a newb and need game mechanics spelled out to me. Doesn't matter how long I play, I am still always a newb.

TIA.

Gargoyle69
05-28-2017, 02:53 AM
Shadar-kai pure rogue mechanic great x-bow is very strong, (or 18 rogue / 2 arti for rune arm) gives you top tier ranged damage, traps, good UMD and is dead easy to build & play.

Morning lord has same access to racial arcane archer tree as any elf, and the fact that the first level is cleric won't stop you taking the capstone because it's char level based, not class level based. So you can choose any class for the remaining 19 levels as suits you. Druid is a good choice, since they're Wis based, and so are arrow DC's: Earthquake + Terror / Paralyzing Arrows is called a "Shake n Quake" and has top tier CC and healing, and good DPS.

Deep Gnome can make a good Zen Archer monk or monk / ranger hybrid using either shurikens, bows or a mixture of both. Great DPS and CC, high run speed for kiting and doing speed runs, easy and fun to play.

How do they sound?

Tricosene
05-28-2017, 08:01 AM
Shadar-kai pure rogue mechanic great x-bow is very strong, (or 18 rogue / 2 arti for rune arm) gives you top tier ranged damage, traps, good UMD and is dead easy to build & play.

The 18 rogue / 2 arti has been one of my two most favorite builds so far. I ran it with a deep gnome, using light repeating crossbows and investing in the racial tree to get the bonuses to attack and critical. I can't wait to use that build again.

DownClan
05-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Thank you for the greatresponse. (The other build suggestions sound very interesting, but for now...) Let's focus on Shadar-Kai, and explore 20/2 Rogue/Arti.

During Heroic levels, how does this build self-heal? Only after combat using scrolls, or during combat using scrolls while running around screaming in panic? ;-)

What stats and skills should I ensure I have max buffs for from crafted items?

What cc strategy does this build use?

What run arms (which I have never used) should I have?

Tricosene
05-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Thank you for the greatresponse. (The other build suggestions sound very interesting, but for now...) Let's focus on Shadar-Kai, and explore 20/2 Rogue/Arti.

During Heroic levels, how does this build self-heal? Only after combat using scrolls, or during combat using scrolls while running around screaming in panic? ;-)

I used a variant on this:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/458908-Mech-Repeater-Builds

Favorite rune arms: Lucid Dreams, Archaic Device, Corruption of Nature (esp for intelligence bonus). Animus for banishing and for blasting down root walls. Hand of the Tombs for undead.

CC is improved precise shot. You fire at the furthest enemy and move to hit the ones in between you and him.

PsychoBlonde
05-28-2017, 02:45 PM

Uh, you are aware that Artis get the lowest-level mass healing spells in the game?

Curative Admixtures, levels 1/2/3. Carry pots, slap on a devotion item, boom. You're a party healer.

Heal scrolls are nice for later.

TDarkchylde
05-28-2017, 03:02 PM

Wand-whip until you can use Heal scrolls. Make sure to max out Wand and Scroll.

Other than swap gear for trap skills, I don't really bother with +skill items in Heroic on mine. A swap for Hide + Move Silently is something I'd recommend for quests meant to be stealthed.

Kill it before it gets to you tends to be the repeater version's M.O., perhaps with a Paralyzing repeater. Another option is to use great crossbows instead - the knockdown on 20 is surprisingly good, if inconsistent CC. The Sniper enhancement makes it more reliable, especially with IPS. I'm reliably knocking things down even on EE - the GXB knockdown has no save.

I start with the runearm from Tangleroot at 5 for the fortification. At 9, I start swapping in a Hand of the Tombs for undead, and use a Recoyle the rest of the time, as I've already gotten Heavy Fort from an augment. At 13, grab an Arm of the Archons. At 15 and up, swap to a Tira's Splendor between fights for the heal amp, or for the Deathblock as needed. Once I go into Epics, I use a Lucid Dreams that's been disjuncted and recrafted with Impulse, Force Lore, and Insightful Impulse for massive damage.

Whatever Runearm you end up with, don't use the ones that have spells with Reflex to save. Since the DC is based off your Arti level, mobs with Evasion will be taking no damage left and right. Go for ones with Will or Fort saves instead.

Stoner81
05-29-2017, 06:39 AM
I'm currently running a Deep Gnome build which is 1 Wizard, 6 Rogue, 13 Arti which is pretty fun :)

Stoner81.

Dielzen
06-15-2017, 12:28 PM
I'm currently running a Morninglord 13rog/5clr/2art life, using the racial AA tree and having a good time.

You could drop the cleric levels down if you want, but I wanted some healing in heroics.

i have Know the Angles, Int to attack and damage with Mechanic T5s using a great crossbow

DownClan
07-19-2017, 02:34 PM
Thanks to suggestions from here, I selected SDK Mech Light Repeater build (18/2 Rogue/Arti). So far, I am quite happy. Overall, leveling to 20 was pretty smooth.

I did have minor issues around level 17, due to lack of CC and lack of IPS. Once I started trying any MOTU quests, that have swarms of high-HP mobs in tight spaces, it was just messy. For my next life, I will consider if there were any trap options I have for CC that I ignored, and I will also consider delaying my Arti lives until 16/17 so I can get IPS sooner.

And my previous build was Pally, so now I really miss having Deathward. Level drains are the most dangerous thing now, and my Ioun Stone gets tapped fast. I guess I need to get back in the habit of busting out a Hire to park at the start of each quest.

dummeskind
08-14-2017, 05:08 AM
10Rog/4Arti/6Ranger or 6 Fighter Divine Artilery as Main Wep - Lvl 14 version with a lvl drain Ruby till lvl 28 and then the 28 Version with a Lvl drain Ruby.

Mairsil
08-26-2017, 04:57 AM
I'm currently running a Deep Gnome build which is 1 Wizard, 6 Rogue, 13 Arti which is pretty fun :)

Stoner81.

Are the details of that build listed anywhere?

skorpeon
08-30-2017, 01:51 PM

yeah I would be interested also? still maybe just go pure gnome Wiz, or splash 2 levels of rogue for evasion and traps?

DaggomaticDwarf
09-01-2017, 11:50 AM

Either tier 5 BE or Tier 5 Mech with fusilage.

I went the tier 5 mech route, but I lessered the 1 wiz out.

With the 1 wiz you could maybe put 4 ap into EK for the +10 to ac but as a ranged CCer you rarely get hit much.

I did enjoy tier 5 BE in heroic then respec'd when I hit epics.

Dagg.

Whitering
09-26-2017, 03:15 PM
I am doing a 6 Rogue/14 Paly build to get a paly SDK life trying out a holy sword repeater, great xbow build, it's probably horribly outdated, but I will see if it can reaper when I finish farming collectibles for crafting my items (again, I ask, who though farming collectibles was fun?)

DownClan
09-30-2017, 07:37 PM

I find your ideas interesting, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Slightly more seriously, if there is at least a sketch of this available as character builder output, that would help me a lot.