PDA

View Full Version : Grease affects you more than enemies

pec
05-09-2017, 01:57 AM
Anyone else noticed that grease spell affects you (your party) more than enemies? By that I mean that enemies seem to effortlessly run quickly through Greases area of effect when they did their save but when I enter my own Grease area and make a save I still cant move through it. I'm stuck "gliding" around the area and cant move in any direction I actually want to move. This is very annoying as I expect enemies to do the same but clearly they are not. When enemies fail their saves its a nobrainer - they are flat on the ground. And mostly they are flat on the ground as my conjuration DC is enough for my current level. I just dont understand how enemies who make their saving throws can effortlessly move through grease while I cant.

Also I noticed that enemies in general run around much faster than players. Just weird but ok.

Saekee
05-09-2017, 06:57 AM
try casting it on ramps just ahead of you and watch how those spiders & wolves can't catch up

Kylstrem
05-09-2017, 08:56 AM
Grease has always been a spell for griefing your guildies. :)

Not much real use in game for it vs mobs.

But they did make it catch on fire if you throw a fireball into it. But again, not enough damage to ever use effectively.

Just pretend it doesn't exist.

YUTANG75
05-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Grease is a buff right?

phillymiket
05-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Grease affects you more than enemies

Hopefully!
Or more to the point, hopefully Grease affects you more than me. :D

Arianrhod
05-09-2017, 11:25 AM
As others have said, not many people seriously try to use Grease. However, if you do want to use it, it's recommended to have Freedom Of Movement. Makes it a lot less annoying. Same goes for Sleet Storm.

pec
05-10-2017, 01:48 AM
Hot damn, I totally forgot about Freedom of Movement. I kinda like Grease thematically and it has had its uses. It is funny to watch enemies drop flat on the floor WHEN it works.

I play as artificer and I'm using Grease mainly because there is no other CC spell currently available to me. I have had some success with Grease + Flame turret combo though. But nothing spectacular. Any suggestions to swap Grease out for another spell?

Arianrhod
05-10-2017, 06:35 AM
Static Shock has a daze component, but it's single target. Lightning sphere is AoE with a daze, but higher level than Grease. If you're getting good results from Grease and can get Freedom of Movement, no reason not to keep using it. Unfortunately using wands or scrolls of better CC spells from other class spell lists isn't really much of an option, due to abysmally low DCs from wands & scrolls. I suppose you could give the mechanical dog the Trip ability and train that up ;)

sirgog
05-10-2017, 08:13 AM
As others have said, not many people seriously try to use Grease. However, if you do want to use it, it's recommended to have Freedom Of Movement. Makes it a lot less annoying. Same goes for Sleet Storm.

Sleet Storm is a legitimately awesome spell when your party has FOM.

Used it to great effect in an underlevel Legendary Reaper Tempest Spine. My Wlk24 is not at all caster specced.

AbyssalMage
05-12-2017, 03:57 PM
If you can cast FoM,
Sleet Storm (+Greese, if needed) is a nice combo to keep hoards of "bad guys" from hitting you. They are both AoE and last a considerable amount of time. And you can use in group as long as you remember to keep party members buffed with FoM.

Without the ability to cast FoM, it becomes mostly a "solo" spell (at least for me) because I can't guarantee anyone else will have FoM available.

And this is thanks to Druid casters showing me how fun it it to AoE spell things to death :)