PDA

View Full Version : Finally at level 20... Now what

AMADHA
04-22-2017, 11:40 PM
So after many years of part time play I have finally hit level 20. So now what?

Totally unsure of what to do now since no Heart of Wood has shown up in my inventory. Advice?

Steve_Howe
04-23-2017, 12:08 AM
Do Epics and get to 30. That should take a few more years. Come back to us then and ask us what to do.

PsychoBlonde
04-23-2017, 12:11 AM

Totally unsure of what to do now since no Heart of Wood has shown up in my inventory. Advice?

If you don't want to buy one, you can get a Heart by getting Tokens of the Twelve from select Eberron epic quests. You don't get one automatically. :)

Saekee
04-23-2017, 06:41 AM
what access do you have to epic quests? (packs etc)

AMADHA
04-23-2017, 04:12 PM
what access do you have to epic quests? (packs etc)
I'm a VIP and from the quest list I have the following listed up to level 23.
- Lvl 21 list: Battle for Eveningstar, Impossible Demands, The Lost Thread, and Unquiet Graves.
- lvl 22 list: Don't Drink the Water, House of Broken Chains, House of Death Undone, House of Rusted Plates, The belly of the Beast, and the Portal Opens, and
- lvl 23 list: The Deal and the Demon, Reclaiming the Rift, and Trial by Fury

Plus I have noticed, going through my inventories, that I actually do have a True Heart of Wood. <grin> (No idea of where, how, or when I got it.)

If it helps, the character is an elf tempest ranger with rogue splash and I solo a lot, playing him has been... let's say, interesting. Been reading about destinies (which confuse me), TRing,
and just plodding along collecting experience and the risks associated with that... seems there are some. I find the whole mess confusing and I'm not sure what is the best path to take at first life and
which would be the most fun.

Ergo the question. Thanks for your reply.

KoobTheProud
04-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Play Epic levels to 30. Reasoning: if you TR it is likely to just put you back to day 1 plus 2 build points and leave you wondering what it was all about.

If you play Epic levels you will see some new stuff and get some new loot and probably be happier in the long run.

TRing is for people who have a plan to get lives done in a matter of months at the outside. If you are not planning to do that you're better off just seeing the high level game. Play an alt if you want to see Korthos and low level stuff again.

SuperNiCd
04-23-2017, 06:28 PM
I agree with the others. Check out epics and see the 'other half' (1/3?) of the game. If you haven't already bought the Menace of the Underdark expansion, get it ASAP. It gives you access to the epic destinies - no sense in buying them standalone since you get a lot of epic content with MotU. None of that is included with VIP. And if you're running quests without the EDs available, you're kinda wasting XP you could be putting toward where most of the epic power comes from.

And yep, the whole epic levels, epic XP, destinies, karma, twists of fate thing is pretty confusing at first. Read the wiki on them a few hundred times and it will finally start to make sense. Or at least that's what it took for me. For now just pick the destiny that looks best and start working up the tree.

Saekee
04-23-2017, 07:49 PM
Start in Primal Avatar until you get enough for Rejuvenation Cocoon (the most used 'twist' when in other destinies; use it as your twist when you unlock the first fate point in next destiny); when you unlock tier 3 there, you can the shift to Shiradi. Do that until tier 4 (it will not be great for your build but endure!); then a bridge is formed to Legendary Dreadnought. Max that one out until level 30. It is the generic zerg ED.

When farming heart seeds at level 30, if LD is maxed out, switch temporarily to an off-destiny to build xp in it.

Once you get your heart seeds, Epic reincarnate with EPL: doublestrike. You can then decide at level 20 if you want to stay in epics or heroic/racial reincarnate.

For epics, just do EH since you lack gear/destinies. Aim to do the Sagas for the +3 skill tomes offered.

Saekee
04-23-2017, 07:52 PM
just to add--a lot of nice people will post 'EN dailies' which are fast xp. Feel free to join those and focus on trapping well, in particular in Spies & Jungle. Let the leader zerg--it is easy on EN--everyone loves the 30% xp boost from trapping far more than you adding a few kills.

Powerhungry
04-23-2017, 11:05 PM
I'm a VIP and from the quest list I have the following listed up to level 23.
- Lvl 21 list: Battle for Eveningstar, Impossible Demands, The Lost Thread, and Unquiet Graves.
- lvl 22 list: Don't Drink the Water, House of Broken Chains, House of Death Undone, House of Rusted Plates, The belly of the Beast, and the Portal Opens, and
- lvl 23 list: The Deal and the Demon, Reclaiming the Rift, and Trial by Fury

Plus I have noticed, going through my inventories, that I actually do have a True Heart of Wood. <grin> (No idea of where, how, or when I got it.)

If it helps, the character is an elf tempest ranger with rogue splash and I solo a lot, playing him has been... let's say, interesting. Been reading about destinies (which confuse me), TRing,
and just plodding along collecting experience and the risks associated with that... seems there are some. I find the whole mess confusing and I'm not sure what is the best path to take at first life and

also note that many quests have an epic version that you will have access to as a VIP. The quests will be listed at their heroic level in the quest compendium, so you have far more quests available to you than you may realize.

Stoner81
04-24-2017, 04:27 AM
What server do you play on?

Stoner81.

KoobTheProud
04-24-2017, 07:30 AM
Do what Saekee suggested. That was great advice and specific enough to be a roadmap.

You'll like Epics, just be prepared to play them on Normal as you get used to the differences. Epic is much faster than Heroic, even with the huge XP difference, however it is also much tougher until you get your proper ED's fleshed out.

Enoach
04-24-2017, 08:20 AM
... Been reading about destinies (which confuse me), TRing,

The way I think about Epic Destinies is that they are a separate Enhancement System that requires unlocking.

During the Epic Levels from 20 on any xp you earn will apply in 3 places

1. Your Own Epic Levels
2. The Currently Active Epic Destiny Up to 1,980,000 XP (once earned it never goes away)
3. The Currently Active Epic Sphere Up to 6mil (when you do an Epic Reincarnation you spend that 6mil xp for an Epic Past Life)

As you level up Epic Destinies you will earn Fate Points which you can use to allow you to use abilities from Epic Destinies that you have unlocked but are not currently active.

I do agree with others that you want to give the Epic Levels a try. While it may seem like a lot of work at first, even one Epic Past Life can help you when you finally do decide to start over at Level 1 (or 15 if you decide to go Iconic)

AMADHA
04-24-2017, 09:30 PM
What server do you play on?

Stoner81.

Orien

AMADHA
04-24-2017, 09:43 PM

Thank-you one and all for your advice, thoughtful insight, and guidance. Thank-you Saekee for the road map I will take the comment to follow your advice and actually do it. I will also follow the advice to read the threads on destinies, et al, a few dozen times until I see "the golden shaft of light when all around is dark". (Monty Python) <grin>

Now back to the grind! Er, Grindstone, TR can wait.