PDA

View Full Version : Help fitting a class?

Buddhaz
04-14-2017, 10:15 AM
Hi guys, I'm looking for a little guidance. For all intensive purposes I am new to DDO. I played a wiz and a fight to cap over 8 years ago and haven't played since.

A few friends and I are looking to come back for the new content. We have a static group of 6 but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out a build that fits in well, so am hoping for some help.

Current group is: Druid(unsure on build but he wants to be a bear),Bard(warcaster),Arti(Trapper focus),Monk(fist wrap style),Cleric (unsure on build)

The character I'm building will be 32 point first life (I dont have FvS or Arti but could unlock if needed). I'd prefer to avoid arcane spell classes as I have a lvl 11 wizard pale master type.

I'm really open to ideas that would fit the above group, I'm kind of leaning toward some kind of TWF or maybe an elf rogue AA? I'd like a character that can contribute in reaper (is this feasible?) as this is the difficulty we ideally we be playing at. We dont mind failing a missions and prefer the difficulty as long as its attainable for first lifers

Another side question... is it feasible for first life to play on reaper difficulty or should first life stick to elite? I have been trying a bit and really struggling with it on my wizard. My goal is to play in reaper difficulty and reach some end game content

Thanks in advance for any info

zehnvhex
04-14-2017, 10:47 AM
Spellsword might work for you.

12 fighter/8 sorcerer. 2 handed fighting style. Any race is fine. Max strength and con.

The 12 fighter makes you a significantly powerful front line fighter. Go primarily kensai build with just enough in defender to get the +20% hp bonus.

8 levels of sorc gives you some good utility to back it up. With the sorc levels you can grab things like invis, haste, dimension door, displacement, blur, shield and jump. All nice spells to have. Displacement you can even cast in combat with armor on as it has no spell failure component. You can even pick up a handful of nice abilities in the eldritch knight sorc tree such as arcane barrier.

Go 5 fighter, then 8 sorcerer, then remainder of levels in fighter.

For feats you'll want anything that makes your melee better, plus quicken and extend for caster feats.

In epic content (provided you get that far/stick with it) you'll want to try to get the divine crusader epic destiny. Divine Crusader is perfect for this build as the sorcerer levels give you the spell points to cast consecrate which is typically enough healing for most groups in reaper1. There's a ton of really good damage augmenting abilities and some staying power.

I consider this one of the most powerful first life melee builds in the game currently. It's really tanky, has good self healing post 20, does good/great damage, holds it own in reaper content and is a welcome addition to any group.

unbongwah
04-14-2017, 10:54 AM
Druid(unsure on build but he wants to be a bear)
Not that you asked for help with your friend's build, but bear form is...not great (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/484359-Bear-form-druid-build?p=5945291#post5945291). :( You might want to suggest politely he consider wolf or caster druid instead.

I'm really open to ideas that would fit the above group, I'm kind of leaning toward some kind of TWF or maybe an elf rogue AA?
It sounds like your group will have two healers and one trapper, leaving you free to play whatever you want. An AA with a good Paralyzing DC would certainly help; have a look at White Feather Sniper (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/469680-White-Feather-Sniper-A-DPS-and-CC-focused-full-time-ranged-pure-ranger).

I've also done a couple of rogue AA builds: this one is pure rogue (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/464612-Elven-Pure-Rogue-Mechanic-Dreadnaught-Eviscerator?p=5750078&viewfull=1#post5750078), this one is rog 13 / rgr 6 / barb 1 (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/479238-The-Prowler-Covert-Assassin-of-House-Thuranni?p=5879475&viewfull=1#post5879475). I think the latter build is easier to level, but you pigeon-hole yourself into racial AA tree in epics; while the pure rogue can choose Mechanic as primary PrE instead.

Another side question... is it feasible for first life to play on reaper difficulty or should first life stick to elite?
Let's just say I admire your ambition to do Reapers with a team of first-lifers, but will politely suggest you start with lower difficulties until you can ramp up to Reaper. If you're still set on Reaper, then I'm pretty sure a good ranged toon is a lot easier than melee.

unbongwah
04-14-2017, 11:04 AM
With the sorc levels you can grab things like invis, haste, dimension door, displacement, blur, shield and jump.
OP's going to be running in a static group with a bard, druid, and cleric, so all of these spells (and more) are already covered. Which means the only thing worth acquiring separately is Displacement (since that's self-only), which can be done with elf Dragonmark. At which point you might as well stick with pure fighter for better melee DPS.

Buddhaz
04-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Quick replies, very much appreciated -- I wasn't expecting to get done with my meeting to all this great info already :)

I consider this one of the most powerful first life melee builds in the game currently. It's really tanky, has good self healing post 20, does good/great damage, holds it own in reaper content and is a welcome addition to any group.

Thanks this sounds like a really fun build, I may give it a on a new character outside of the static group. With this group I think most of the buffs will be covered so I can lean on my team a little bit as we will only be playing with these characters when we are all together.

Not that you asked for help with your friend's build, but bear form is...not great (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/484359-Bear-form-druid-build?p=5945291#post5945291). :( You might want to suggest politely he consider wolf or caster druid instead.

Oh thats too bad, I passed this info on to him, he probably would consider wolf

It sounds like your group will have two healers and one trapper, leaving you free to play whatever you want. An AA with a good Paralyzing DC would certainly help; have a look at White Feather Sniper (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/469680-White-Feather-Sniper-A-DPS-and-CC-focused-full-time-ranged-pure-ranger).

I've also done a couple of rogue AA builds: this one is pure rogue (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/464612-Elven-Pure-Rogue-Mechanic-Dreadnaught-Eviscerator?p=5750078&viewfull=1#post5750078), this one is rog 13 / rgr 6 / barb 1 (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/479238-The-Prowler-Covert-Assassin-of-House-Thuranni?p=5879475&viewfull=1#post5879475). I think the latter build is easier to level, but you pigeon-hole yourself into racial AA tree in epics; while the pure rogue can choose Mechanic as primary PrE instead.

Let's just say I admire your ambition to do Reapers with a team of first-lifers, but will politely suggest you start with lower difficulties until you can ramp up to Reaper. If you're still set on Reaper, then I'm pretty sure a good ranged toon is a lot easier than melee.

Lots of good information, thank you. I've actually taken a look over a few of your builds (axesinger and elf ranger) after doing a few searches yesterday. Lots of really neat stuff. Trying to process all the various information in regards to what still applies at the current patch level is a bit difficult so I definately appreciate your response.

So assuming we will be playing elite or reapers on our first run through (I dont see us going below elite ) would there really be any reason for the rogue elf aa? I guess my idea behind that was I could help with traps but maybe the arti will have this covered by himself without issue. Which would perhaps push me toward more of a pure dps / control build? The monk I assume will have a fair amount of control but it may be better to supplement with more control than more trapping? In which case the white feather build you linked might be a good option.

Stoner81
04-14-2017, 01:40 PM
A pure Pally, Fighter or Barbarian would also fit in quite well and help boost the overall DPS of the group so they might be worth a look at perhaps depending on what sort of play style you like (tanky with DPS, better DPS or moar DPS respectively). I also agree with Unbongwah with regards to Reaper, since you have not played in 8 years this will be a completely different game to what you even vaguely remember it being like, the suggestions I made take that in to consideration since they are not that difficult to build or gear up which is a bonus for a first life character.

Stoner81.

Lonnbeimnech
04-14-2017, 02:21 PM
Arti(Trapper focus)

If it was me, knowing what I know about new players that play ranged toons, I wouldn't want to be a melee in that group. So I would make some sort of ranged toon as well.

Either that or try to convince him to make a melee arti.

zehnvhex
04-14-2017, 02:30 PM
OP's going to be running in a static group with a bard, druid, and cleric, so all of these spells (and more) are already covered. Which means the only thing worth acquiring separately is Displacement (since that's self-only), which can be done with elf Dragonmark. At which point you might as well stick with pure fighter for better melee DPS.

I suppose. I tend to build for self sufficiency even with my static group characters. Playing a cleric in EQ and a paladin in WoW for 18 years made me leery of trusting others.

Buddhaz
04-14-2017, 03:39 PM
Well, on the above advice the druid has changed from bear focus to caster. So I think we will need more melee. Though still weighing my options.

With the build you recommend Zehnvhex, how much cha starting is recommended? I think dragonborn would be a good fit but then I'd be dropping dex completely

Livmo
04-14-2017, 05:26 PM
I vote for PDK Bard.

EDIT forgot to mention that you have to be wary of the alignment. Default is Lawful Good and you're gonna want to change it to Neutral of soome type, i.e. Neutral Good for Bard.

I like 1st 2 levels of fighter, 1 level of Sorc, and rest Bard.

http://i.imgur.com/oUDCcH3.jpg

I'm swashbuckling with an orb focus. These rapiers are easy to get as new PDK Iconic Bard:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Tyrzza%27s_Bane
http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Turbulent_Epee

The other 2 weapons on the hot bars are Tortured Livewood Bow for ranged and Alliegence for some choppy fun (has prof on weapon).

Instead of hack-n-slash, it's more dance-n-slash : ) ) I love working the Coup de Grace.

C-Dog
04-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Well, on the above advice the druid has changed from bear focus to caster. So I think we will need more melee. Though still weighing my options.
Listen to the advice of those who have gone before...

...If you're still set on Reaper, then I'm pretty sure a good ranged toon is a lot easier than melee.

Here's the crux of the problem...

Reaper difficulty has 4 types of actual "Reaper" monsters that can show up, sometimes alone, sometimes in multiples. One (Fear) has a damaging "pulse" that goes thru the entire dungeon, the ultimate AoE - once anyone aggros one of them, the clock is ticking for everyone to kill it asap. So Ranged helps in certain situations where "getting up close" isn't an (easy/fast) option.

Another type is the Carnage Reaper - HEAVY melee damage. No, REALLY. Pick a number - you're too low, try again. Nope, still too low. if you didn't pick "You were killed by Carnage Reaper", then you need to adjust your expectations accordingly. Just a stupid amount of melee damage. So another reason to go Ranged on 1st life ~if~ you're going Reaper.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Reaper#Reapers

Lastly, if the majority of the party is Ranged/Caster, melees often find targets dead by the time they run up. So, join the "reach out and touch someone" concept, and enjoy.

Or not, and GL with that! ;)

o/

EllisDee37
04-17-2017, 06:05 PM
For all intents and purposes, reaper is a ranged difficulty. Melee need not apply.

Buddhaz
04-18-2017, 03:59 PM
Just stopping by to say I appreciate all of the advice. I ended up making a ranger and am trying to follow the white feather sniper build. We did end up doing exclusively reaper (1) so far so good.

PsychoBlonde
04-18-2017, 04:45 PM
You guys don't really have a tank in there, so a pally or fighter Vanguard would be a good option. Paladin might be the best because you'd be an alternate rezzer if the cleric goes down (druid rez sucks). And you can use wands. One of the main issues on Reaper is that self-healing is generally poor to nonexistent, so you want to be able to assist in backing up party members.

At low levels the arti is actually the best party healer--they get AOE heals before any other class.

PsychoBlonde
04-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Just stopping by to say I appreciate all of the advice. I ended up making a ranger and am trying to follow the white feather sniper build. We did end up doing exclusively reaper (1) so far so good.

Reaper 1 isn't bad at all with a group. Ranger is a good choice too, although I'd recommend that you focus on being able to SWITCH between melee and range, don't go all one or the other. Versatility is your friend in Reaper, particularly as you level.

Requiro
04-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Reaper 1 isn't bad at all with a group. Ranger is a good choice too, although I'd recommend that you focus on being able to SWITCH between melee and range, don't go all one or the other. Versatility is your friend in Reaper, particularly as you level.

Agreed. All you need to do is switch one or (optional) two feats.

First (must have) is Improve Critical: Slashing
Second (optional) is Power Attack

Feats you can easily swamp: Toughness and Weapon Focus Ranged

Then, you are fully prepared to switch combat styles, by reassign AP from AA to Tempest. Of course you must find good pair of Scimitars first :)

Rekia
04-26-2017, 04:55 AM
I just did a second life sword and board paladin using two hand weapon feats and a bastard sword. I highly recommend it for new players looking to do reaper. Paladins can get ghost touch from their enhancements to help with reaper slaying and they have really good survivability due to high saves.

You can heal, use wands, and you can even cast raise dead scrolls.

I'd recommend taking a look at this build, what I did was a little different, but this seems even better:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/451677-Sacred-Vanguards-%28aka-Revisiting-S-amp-B-Paladins-for-New-Players%29

Edit: Oops, I skipped over the post where you said you picked ranger. Well, maybe this post will help other new players decide.