PDA

View Full Version : Warchanter Bard

Teph
04-08-2017, 02:00 AM
If a create a warchanter bard and build up his Charisma and Strength equally will this make a character that can melee decently or just create a weak bard?

unbongwah
04-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Need more context: what exactly are you trying to accomplish with your build?

For an example of a STR-based WC, see my Axesinger; for CHA-based, see the Icebreaker (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/446859-The-Icebreaker-A-Freezing-Warchanter-Bard).

Teph
04-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Would like a pure bard build with melee capabilities and with a little icebreaker type attacks.
If I build up Str and Cha at the same level will the melee be too weak and the icebreaker/warchanter also be too weak?

Is there a way to prevent arcane spell failure while wearing a large shield in a bard build?
Thanks

katz
04-09-2017, 12:15 AM
it would be better to pick one or the other to focus on... altho with good gear your "secondary" stat can still be quite strong.

before we answer about the shield.. why, pray tell, would you want a large shield, if i may ask?

doubledge
04-09-2017, 12:32 AM
The way you're talking about it, you'd probably be best served by maximizing strength, and then splashing two levels of favoured soul or Cleric for warpriest divine might (+ half of your charisma to strength)

However, this isn't optimal: Because of how gear works now, at endgame alone, charisma below 24 isn't enough to outstrip a +7 insightful item.

As they said, the optimal options are picking on or the other. I recommend charisma.

unbongwah
04-09-2017, 01:37 PM
Would like a pure bard build with melee capabilities and with a little icebreaker type attacks.
If I build up Str and Cha at the same level will the melee be too weak and the icebreaker/warchanter also be too weak?
It's never a good idea to half-@$$ DC-based abilities like Spinning Ice, IMO; either you're all-in or you're just wasting your time. This is why most freeze-specced WCs go PDK, for the DC bonus from Cormyrian Knight Training.

Is there a way to prevent arcane spell failure while wearing a large shield in a bard build?
You can equip a -15% ASF Sapphire of Spell Agility which negates ASF from most large shields. There's also some named shields with 0% or 5% ASF, which reduces how much ASF reduction you need, naturally.

But remember that large shields don't work with Swashbuckling; and a pure bard who uses SB is gonna have significantly better DPS than one w/out SB, even if you decide to make WC your primary PrE.

katz
04-09-2017, 02:59 PM
personally... if you're planning on going warchanter... i would recommend going max charisma, and splash into swashbuckler at least far enough to get smooth flourishes. spinning ice is awesome...srsly