PDA

View Full Version : Handwrap Ki Attacks

Xathris
04-06-2017, 02:49 PM
There are a lot of ki monk attacks, I am 9th lvl, and find I only use Light, Iron Fist, and Stunning Fist. Sure, I can use water agains't fire creatures and vice versa, but what about the other attacks, are they worth using?

Also, what about this group?:

Smite Tainted Creature: Ki Melee Attack: You have the ability to expend Ki to deal devastating blows in melee. You gain twice your Wisdom modifier to your attack roll and a damage bonus based on your monk level. Targets will be locked in a tomb of jade on vorpal attacks (attack roll of 20 followed by critical confirmation) on a failed Will save (DC = 10 + Wisdom modifier + your monk level + stunning DC boosts). Extraplanar creatures, Aberrations, and Undead must succeed at two consecutive Will saves to avoid their fate. (Activation Cost: 15 Ki. Cooldown: 15 seconds)

Jade Strike: Ki Melee Attack: You perform a melee attack that is especially powerful against tainted creatures. On hitting a target, this attack increases their physical damage vulnerability by 10% and reduces their fortification by 25%. A successful Will save negates this effect (DC = 10 + Wisdom modifier + your monk level + stunning DC boosts). Aberrations, extraplanar creatures that are not classified as 'Lawful Outsiders', and undead receive double this effect. On critical hits, a target will be locked in a tomb of jade on a failed Will save (DC = 10 + Wisdom modifier + your monk level). Extraplanar creatures, Aberrations, and Undead must succeed at two consecutive Will saves to avoid their fate. (Activation Cost: 10 Ki. Cooldown: 15 seconds)

Tomb of Jade: Ki Melee Attack: You perform an attack that encases a tainted target in a tomb of jade on a failed Will save (DC = 10 + Wisdom modifier + your monk level + stunning DC boosts). Extraplanar creatures, Aberrations, and Undead must succeed at two consecutive Will saves to avoid this fate. (Activation Cost: 25 Ki. Cooldown: 1 minute)

I can see using the Tomb on tainted creatures, so why would I use Jade Strike at all? What about Smite Tainted against "non-tainted" creatures? Wouldn't Iron Fist be better?

Thanks!

Saekee
04-06-2017, 05:36 PM
the reason you use the other attacks is because the first one is on cooldown. Jade strike has become very potent; in the past (I do not recall otherwise) it only affected tainted creatures.
Monk combinations are an art in themselves--monk splashes with lots of sneak can do unbalancing strike, for example, and the dark finishers can curse hard. In heroics, especially at your level, stuff will drop pretty fast but you will probably start paying more attention to combinations & effects later (unless you are in reaper difficulties).

FuzzyDuck81
04-07-2017, 02:39 AM
The jade line is great, and the names might need to be updated since they'll work now on virtually everything, though the tainted creatures have to save twice to resist the effects - smite is a nice high-damage one with an occasional immobilisation & helpless debuff, jade strike i use all the time for the damage boost & slightly better chance of the immobilisation, and tomb of jade is phenomenal - as a will save, it works great against things that stunning fist (fortitude save) won't be as effective against.

I usually play light monks & of the other attacks I tend to use fists of light, fists of iron, earth attack (boosts base damage, so on a crit it'll get multiplied up), stunning fist and unbalancing strike, though will use the others for buffs most of the time.

If you're staying pure, I also highly recommend earth-wind-fire combo for shining star - up to 60-sec, high will DC, no-spell-resistance dance effect, prep that before heading into a fight & then kukan-do one, leap in and dance another, tomb on a third, and stunning fist on a 4th & go to town :)

unbongwah
04-07-2017, 10:22 AM
I run down what I think are the most useful monk strikes here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/117232-Request-a-Build-Get-a-Build?p=5962687&viewfull=1#post5962687). Broadly speaking, there are three types: the self-healing/-buffing ones (i.e., Shadow Veil, Fists of Light and various finishers); the CC ones (Stunning Fist et al); and the DPS boosters (Fists of Iron, Jade Strike, etc.).

Xathris
04-11-2017, 11:35 AM
So the whole disruptive/jade line works on everything now?

FuzzyDuck81
04-11-2017, 11:52 AM
So the whole disruptive/jade line works on everything now?

Pretty much, barring specific immunities (can't tomb rednamed etc), but the enemeis that count as tainted or extraplanar now have to make 2 saves, so they're particularly vulnerable to the attacks that used to only effect them.