PDA

View Full Version : Please compare these weapon alternatives.

Dennis
03-31-2017, 09:03 AM
Which of these two weapon alternatives would generate the highest average damage:

TWO WEAPONS: Right Hand DMG 1.8[1d8] + 18; Bonus +16; Left Hand: DMG 1.8[1d8] +13; Bonus + 12 - or - TWO-HANDED weapon with these stats: DMG 1.8[2d6] +24; Bonus +22.

In terms of the most consistent damage, would the two weapons rank higher than the two-hander?

I've never really understood how to make these calculations and would REALLY appreciate both your answer and how you made that decision.

Thanks for all replies.

AbyssalMage
03-31-2017, 10:07 AM
Which of these two weapon alternatives would generate the highest average damage:

TWO WEAPONS: Right Hand DMG 1.8[1d8] + 18; Bonus +16; Left Hand: DMG 1.8[1d8] +13; Bonus + 12 - or - TWO-HANDED weapon with these stats: DMG 1.8[2d6] +24; Bonus +22.

In terms of the most consistent damage, would the two weapons rank higher than the two-hander?

I've never really understood how to make these calculations and would REALLY appreciate both your answer and how you made that decision.

Thanks for all replies.
There are too many variables honestly. Class plays a large part in which would be better. Also, what are the other stat's of the weapon? (i.e. 1d8 20/x4 or 1d8 17-20/3) because most of the damage comes from Criticals (multiples make numbers large quickly). Then you have gear. You basically need a whole spread sheet :)

So:

What is your damage mod (From relevant stat)?
Class Split (we'll just assume level 30)
Relevant Enhancements (Rangers & Monks gain 100% off hand attacks while others only reach 80% off-hand)
Seeker?
Melee Power?
Damage-on-Hit (This is why Barbarian & Paladin do more damage wielding two weapons, which was an unintended consequence)

I know I am missing some things, but it requires more information.

Ultinoob
03-31-2017, 12:59 PM
I made a website for those calculations: http://mmlddo.com/DDODPS.html

Maybe you can use it.