PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer diary - definitive guide how not beeing total gimp in reaper mode

Tebaco
03-25-2017, 09:05 AM
Because this class if my favourite one. I decided write up some tips how face reaper mode on todays underpowered class such as sorcerrer.

At start of this thread I would like introduce some rules of thumb:

1.) Maximize spell penetration
2.) Maximize charisma
3.) Maximize constitution
4.) Dont gimp inteligence
5.) Dont focus only on one school or element. As great caster you should have at least 2 schools, but it doesnt mean that you take all thouse feats. You need good spells. School feat is only +1 dc, but in epic it further profits with option twisting another +3 dc (and +2 on some schools). Usualy is being twisted enchatment and evocation or conjuration. So you should have thouse feat schools if you plan being in epic and twist it.
Enchantment should be most important school. Than evocation/conjuration. But here depends on each playstyle.
With spell focus mastery item and toggling some insighfull spell school item, you can use spells from various schools without lot of failing dc checks.

Tebaco
03-25-2017, 09:05 AM
1.) Past lifes
If you want be sucessfull in reaper mode in higher skulls than past lifes helps.
Priority past lifes order: wizard, fvs, sorcerer. Optionaly cleric and deep gnome, completionist.
Non caster past lifes help a lot too: specialy paladin than maybe rogue for help with traplagwipe.

2.) Epic past lifes:
With priority get energy critical than as squishy sorcerer you probably would like focus on getting more prr.
Energy critical note: This epic past life feat is bugged, after each relog you need reclick it so than it work properly.

3.) Resources:
You will need lot of platinium for being able do reset in enhancements and buying potions.
Also you will benefit from getting many colectables for later crafting or for barter for augments or potions.
Some cakes help too.

4.) Gear
You will need all good named gear. For fit all gaps you should canith craft missing pieces.
Level 1 gear:
Harper Pin, Greater : free you when hold, helpless
Cursed Blade of Jack Jibbers : give you other chaince when u done (just watch if raise timer expired - that bummer may make this item wortless)
Almond-Coated Shadow Apple : +10 spellpower potion
Sweet Cinnamon Cloud : dodge same as your listen skill
Eternal Flask of Free Movement : potion for fom
Eternal Flask of Death Ward : potions for dw (silly that thouse flash have same timer so use it wisely, there are also other dw potions )
Essences of Desire : + extra hp
Essences of Seduction : + 1dc
Corrosion Eternal Wand of Acid Splash : + acid spellpower on lvl1
Hat of the Night Hag : spell point save (5%)
Furor's Hide : Axeblock
Quiver of Alacrity : help you run fast

Level 10/11 sorcerer set:
Trinket:
Invasive 3 Trinket of Spell Focus 2:
- Insightful fortification +38
- Spell Penetration +3
- Spell focus mastery +2
Pale Lavender Ioun Stone:
- spell absorbtion

Necklace:
Hardy 6 Necklace of Charisma 6:
- yellow slot - Topaz of fear immunity
- constitution +6
- charisma +6
- insightfull charisma +2

Goggles:
Focused 12 Goggles of Enchantment 2:
- yellow Slot - topaz of feather falling
- insightfull Spell penetration +2
- Insighful Enchantment focus +2
- Concentration +12

Armor: I didnt find much usefull wearing armor(light/medium) since they changed something (must be proficient for get prr, it cost ehancements or another utility for arcane casting dexterity) So for this level stick with robe.
+4 Deathblock Robe:
- blue slot - sapphire of heavy fortification
- spell resistance +19
- deathblock
Reveler's Regalia - crit multiply clickie

Helm:
Supreme Tyrant Green Steel Helm of Positive Energy:
- raise dead clickie
- greater elemental spell power: +100sp
- charisma skills: +6 exceptional bonus
- greater disruption guard
- improved elemental energy: +15hp
- constitution skills: +4 exceptional bonus
- wizadry VI: +150 enhancement bonus to sp

Cloack:
Mysterious Cloak:
- colorless slot: +3 str
- green slot: sapphire of heavy fortification
- positive healing amplification: +15 exceptional
- magical resistance: +11 insight
Mantle of the Worldshaper
- spell absorbtion

Belt:
Chains:
- spellsight: +10
- impulse: +70
- sheltering: +12

Bracers:
Bracers of Dodge Bonus 6:
- green slot - sapphre of false life +15
- dodge bonus +6
- parrying: +2
(should add later Insighfull spell resistance)

Ring1:
Spinneret:
- green slot: master gift
- spell lore +4
- quality potency +9
- quality spell focus mastery +1
- spell penetration +2

Ring2:
Ring of Fire Lore
+14% equipment bonus to fire spell crit
Ring of Acid Lore
+14% equipment bonus to acid spell crit

Boots:
Kundarak Delving Boots
- permanent fom

Gloves: sacrifice another heal amp over will saves and sp and hp
Supreme Tyrant Green Steel Weave Gloves of Existential Stalemate

Quiver:
Quiver of Alacrity
- striding +30%

Shield:
Wooden Buckler of Superior Stability
- +6ac
- +6 resistance

Weapon:
+4 Combustive 77 Scepter of Combustion 38
- insightfull combustion: +38
- Combustion: +77
- red augm slot:
(should make better stick for acid)

Level 10 differs from level 11 just with replacing green steel items:
Hat of the Night Hag
Invigorating 96 Gloves of Healing Amplification 19
- +19 heal amp
- +96 wizadry
- blindness imunity augment (if i manage upgrade chain that is grind i dont like, i could slot this into chains)

to be continued..

Tebaco
03-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Feats are for sorcerrer no brainer. Probably everyone knows that this class benefit mainly from spell like abilities. So for amplify thouse on spell points cheap abilities (imho great update would be it they are for free not for sp compared to todays standarts..) you should get all thouse amplifiing feat as soon as posible.

Feat order:
Maximize spell : +150 spell power
Empower spell : + 75 spell power
Heighten Spell : heightening weaker spells
Completionist : +1dc , + other benefits
Wizard pastlife : +1dc, magic missile attack
Bard pastlife: +1 enchantment dc
Spell penetration: +1 sp
Spell focus enchatment : +1 dc
Spell focus evocation: +1 dc
Quicken: no fail concentration
Mental toughness : +1 crit, + some sp

If you have racial feat than pick Warlock Dilettante.

Skills:
Max Concentration, Spellcraft, UMD. Than spent some points in ballance, bluff, jump, diplomacy, heal.

Tebaco
03-25-2017, 09:07 AM
This part is tricky. Because this is very oldfashioned you need sometimes from quest to quest or chain to chain do some resets. It cost lot of plat but if you want do challanging quest on r5+, you cant go in with your main element threted in that quest as weak or worse with element that mobs resist completely.

Level 1 - 5:
Start harbor as acid sevant. Its good to face oizoos. And you may benefit +15 acid spellpower from deep gnome past lifes.
Acid is good on oizoos and plenty other mobs. As lowbie I dont think you can do well on r4+. Maybe with some boosted race (human - extra feat, drow, lizardman).

Level 6:
Here it becoming more tricky. On higher skull content you generate tiny dmg and suffering max dmg.
So I try determine right strategy for this. Nuking with fireball as firesevant dont work. (on r5 you do about 20-30 dmg and mob have hundrets hit points.)
Probably wise should be trigger to acid&watter sevant and start webbing and niacing toe to toe.

to be continued

Tebaco
03-25-2017, 09:11 AM
1.) Wands and scrolls
If there is wand that can fully or just enough supply some spell, than grab that indstead of picking spell.
This is mandatory for many buffs. When you have bigger level than you can think about replacing some of thouse wands.

List of usefull wands:
Shield - avoid magic missile demage (reaper very offen cast it)
Expeditious Retreat - if miss abott quiver, you should need it
Resist Energy
Invisibility - yep it is still usefull, but more or less random oriented
Blur
Fireball - great door opener when weak sorcerer attempt to bash door
Remove Curse
Stoneskin
Ice Storm - use as utility spell if havnt sleet storm for slow enemies

List of usefull scrolls:
Teleport - you want moving fast through areas
Dispel Magic - healping unexperiented trappers with spellwards
True Seeing
Globe of Invulnerability
Greater Dispel Magic - healping unexperiented trappers with spellwards quicker
Greater Heroism
Summon Monster
Invisibility, Mass
Greater Teleport - healping with speeding runs porting all party members to some areas, for rebuffs etc.

2.) Other classes wands and scrolls:
Cure Critical Wounds wand
Raise Dead scroll
Heal scrolls
Resurrection scroll
Greater Restoration scroll
Spell Resistance scroll

Vendors:
- house k guild vendors
- portable hole
- 12/house j
- auction house

myliftkk_v2
03-26-2017, 11:07 PM
Some thoughts, because I've played all casters multiple times.

Traps - almost every trap is bypassable to 20, and the few that aren't you can buy rogue gold seal (use your free points) to get past.

Hire - Park a cleric. Soloing reapers on quests I'd never done before, if you park a cleric, it's more effective than buying cakes. Just keep them out of harms way.

Cleric Past Life feat - Will save your bacon in a pinch. Faster and better than pots or scrolls for emergency heals and uses metas + crits. You can swap it out later.

Level 1 gear - Largely unnecessary. Korthos doesn't allow Reaper and if you collect Daily Dice you can probably get to level 3 (XP tokens + Korthos) without setting foot in a single Reaper (unless you're leveling to 20 in a week). If you only cycle through to 20 every 1.5-3 months, you might be able to get to lvl 3 on DD alone (I do).

Death Ward at lvl 1 - Completely unnecessary, and waste of time to farm. You won't face a mob that can cast a death spell until VoN chain (and beholder will dispel it). By that point you can get Silver Flame Amulet (or deathblock on AH, DB augment) and that will cover you. Amulet (at +5 and +10 versions) is best because it protects against level drain.

FoM at lvl 1 - Completely unnecessary, and waste of time to farm. There's about 1 mob in early quests that casts Ice Storm where this is useful until you get to lvl 4 quests and the rare caster. No sorc should be toe-toeing iron defenders in the first place.

Electric Damage Reduction - Your biggest risk as a sorc is taking a lighting bolt from some Kobold Shaman to the head.

Upgraded Ioun Stones - Absolutely critical. Pale Lavender and Vibrant Purple versions.

Non-Upgraded Ioun Stones - Vibrant Purple gets you +60 SP @ lvl 2 (very few worthwhile trinkets at 2 unless you've got Guild Augment gear).

Master's Gift Augments - Slot these in gear you never take off while you level, like your robe (Duality is a good choice from 1-5), +5% XP no matter what happens.

SP Regen - Archivist Necklace & Twisted Talisman, self-explanatory

Crits - Whatever you carry in your hands or wear on your fingers needs to up your crit profile.

Expeditious Retreat - This gets you 25% run speed and no quiver farming necessary. That will be enough to avoid most mobs.

Quest Knowledge - Playing a sorc at low levels on 1-4 reaper isn't any different than playing it on elite. Know the quest, mobs, and what's around the corner and you can usually win. Especially know the mechanics of what moves the quest forward.

Travel in Groups - Low level reapers are still the easiest to find parties for, especially on levels 3-6. Do you really want to chew through Kobold Assault by yourself? For what reason, you're going to have to do at least 30 more times for Racial Enhancement points even if you're a triple completionist.

+1 Spell Pen - Unnecessary. If you've already got the 3 PLs in Wiz/FVS/Src/Clr adding 1 more is a waste of a feat slot. Grab Greater Enchantment or Greater Evo. Mass Charm or your damage spells will thank you.

Quicken - Take this much earlier. You want to cast web/ice storm/solid fog quickly at doors/fights, and no party wants to wait on you.

Bracers of Wind - Assuming you jumped to lvl 3 right off the bat, you put on Bracers of Wind and your electric crits are 12% min, perma-blur, and you get Electric Loop SLA at level 4 (maximized, empowered, and heightened).

Displace at lvl 1 - Here's an eternal flask actually worth something. In a tight spot with a nasty big boss (like Shan2Kor) and don't want to ASF scroll displace (even if you can) every 30s, use this and you've got a better chance at getting out alive.

And I can't stress this enough...

Hat 'em Up - Charm and GTFO. Let the mobs fight each other. The best sorc lets others do the fighting and they just keep on going. If your goal is to kill every mob when you don't have to, you're doing it wrong. Let your new friends take the aggro as you walk on by. Save your SP for mobs and bosses that matter.

Tebaco
03-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Death Ward at lvl 1 - Completely unnecessary, and waste of time to farm. You won't face a mob that can cast a death spell until VoN chain (and beholder will dispel it). By that point you can get Silver Flame Amulet (or deathblock on AH, DB augment) and that will cover you. Amulet (at +5 and +10 versions) is best because it protects against level drain.

FoM at lvl 1 - Completely unnecessary, and waste of time to farm. There's about 1 mob in early quests that casts Ice Storm where this is useful until you get to lvl 4 quests and the rare caster. No sorc should be toe-toeing iron defenders in the first place.

I am not talking that you would need it in level1. And oh well yes, you want skip level 1, just with use daily rolled xp from your past life.
I am just telling that there is option to use it from lvl1.
And are you sure that reaper dont casts death spell? Famine reaper?
About fom. I did not experimented yet. But there are some spells like greace, ice storm, sleet storm. You can use thouse spells tacticaly and moving with fully speed in your utilized area and enjoing fight with mobs with advantage. Not sure if fom helps with greace or in ice storm. Didnt used it for years. But I like sleet storm that is higher level spell than 1.

About farming. I dont think its about farming. You just play game and than you find yourself holding thousands of remnants that you can barter for thouse flasks.

Loromir
03-28-2017, 09:54 AM
Hire - Park a cleric. Soloing reapers on quests I'd never done before, if you park a cleric, it's more effective than buying cakes. Just keep them out of harms way.

Cleric Past Life feat - Will save your bacon in a pinch. Faster and better than pots or scrolls for emergency heals and uses metas + crits. You can swap it out later.

Even hires parked at the entrance are not safe when Fear Reapers appear.

Enoach
03-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Just a note on Maximizing Concentration and Having Quicken...

Quicken is a great way to prevent losing a spell from a failed concentration check and speeding up slow cast spells like Cloud types. But it can also be one of the biggest spell point leaks a caster has when used while not needed.

Each player needs to evaluate this on their own because playstyle and difficulty can adjust when it is needed. Example: if constantly being hit and having to make concentration checks then having this on during that time is prudent to minimize lose of spells. However, if you are not taking damage or damage is light enough that a concentration check failure is practically not going to happen, then the additional expenditure of resources will eat into ability to cast.

Basically be aware of how you are spending your spell points it is not a good idea to turn Quicken on and forget it. I actually recommend using the Right Click Meta settings for the few spells where the casting speed needs to be faster, and turn Quicken on when you are in situations where you are making lots of concentration checks and leave it off when you are not. Especially avoid Quicken on buff spells.

Tebaco
03-28-2017, 11:00 AM
Especially avoid Quicken on buff spells.
Huh. You are not a fan of fast buffing? jk..
I think there was a bug years ago. I dont know if its fixed or not. That when you used quicken as toggle feat on it couldnt be turned off. Respectificaly could but only graficaly. So it caused that fast buffing issues.

I personaly arent big fan of quicken if i have to care about spell pool. I rather try to max concentration and kill/pause mobs fast so I dont suffer much hits.
But when have lot of lag issue than this feat is mandatory.

In old days I was fan of quicken because it made others beeing spectators for fast completions. In todays game it is different and warlocks chain making others spectators. You can try mimic warlocks with quicken on but you find yourself with empty spell pool soon.