PDA

View Full Version : i'm confused

Klairety
03-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Been playing for a few weeks on different servers (as either a rogue or fighter) and keep getting into groups with classes that can heal but don't and I end up dead (and not just from taking a lot of damage in a short time , i've set at below 50% health for most of an instance without a heal , besides a shrine). I know the easy answer to this problem is to make a healer (or buy healing pots , but as a new player i don't have much plat to constantly keep supply) also i prefer to be in the frontline (either as a tank or melee dps) Is there a reason for a healing class to not throw out heals? (this includes Pallies , clerics , favored soul)

changelingamuck
03-16-2017, 08:51 PM
(1) They might be lazy/tired.

(2) They might be self-centered/jerks.

(3) You might not have been in line-of-sight of them.

(4) You might have made them not happy to heal you by carelessly zerging recklessly into fight-after-fight.

(5) Their spell points might've been low.

One thing to note is that you can purchase cure wands/heal scrolls and hand them to other party members to use on you, if spell point shortages are an issue in the group.

Klairety
03-16-2017, 09:10 PM
(1) They might be lazy/tired.

(2) They might be self-centered/jerks.

(3) You might not have been in line-of-sight of them.

(4) You might have made them not happy to heal you by carelessly zerging recklessly into fight-after-fight.

(5) Their spell points might've been low.

One thing to note is that you can purchase cure wands/heal scrolls and hand them to other party members to use on you, if spell point shortages are an issue in the group.

last 3 points deff were not the case , especially in reaper mode where i make sure to stay with group , check sp....and even after a fight , ive stood there and no heals tossed....just moved to next fight with more damage taken until eventual death

Vasduten
03-16-2017, 09:24 PM
If at all possible, bring a cleric hireling along and they'll heal you and some of the party.

Qhualor
03-16-2017, 09:49 PM
its hit or miss in this game if you have team players. until you get plat to heal with I would suggest lower difficulties and in a group hang back a bit letting others engage fights first and hit on mobs backs. I know its fun being on the frontline fighting, but if you cant reliably self heal than you will be dead a lot. also can explain to the group you are new with not much plat and don't have much self healing. might be surprised and find a few helpful players.

Annex
03-16-2017, 09:49 PM
DDO evolved in a rather different direction than most MMOs. Over the course of time, players pushed for greater and greater damage output and self sufficiency for all classes. What started out as a game with very distinct class roles changed into one almost completely dominated by self healing super damage dealers. That paradigm dominated for many years. Only recently, with the introduction of Reaper difficulty, did the game pendulum start to swing back towards distinct class roles.

The people you grouped with very simply expected you to heal yourself. Others may try to blame it on something else, but that was the real reason. In the former paradigm, it was not the job of any other player to babysit you. I intentionally use pejorative language in my previous sentence because that was the outspoken norm.

It will take time for previously self sufficient players to learn class roles in Reaper Difficulty pick up groups. At easier Reaper settings, many will never learn. You have some choices. First, as you mention, you can invest in self healing from potions and such. If you cannot afford such things, tell other players you are new and cannot afford healing potions. Someone like me will offer a bunch of Platinum or Potions. Second, you can search for a "static group"--a bunch of players who group regularly. Some Guilds essentially function as extended static groups and a good Guild will help immensely. Players in static groups tend to follow more traditional class roles and some play dedicated healers. As a third option, when you enter a group, ask if someone will heal. If not, you can leave. Finally, you could build a character with self healing from the start, usually by taking a few levels in a healing class.

Good luck!

Edit: If you find the right group of people to run with, you will find DDO an _excellent_ role based grouping game. I suggest seeking a friendly veteran or two to help you get established, finding a good Guild dedicated to helping new players, looking for one or two static groups to work with your desired class role, and perhaps researching ways to self heal while playing the class(es) you really want to play. DDO offers fantastic character development progression if you put in a bit of effort. :) You may also want to seek the server most active during your play time(s). If I recall correctly, Sarlona has an excellent reputation for helping new players and grouping.

SirValentine
03-17-2017, 09:08 AM
...classes that can heal...
...a healing class...(this includes Pallies , clerics , favored soul)

Yes, those 3 "can" heal, but there's far more than just those 3 that can. And there is no such thing as "a healing class" in DDO.

Some people build and play healers. Some people don't, including people playing the classes you mentioned.

Why aren't you complaining about the Rogues, Artificers, Rangers, Warlocks, Druids, or Bards, too?

It would be nice if people help out their teammates, but trying to order people around by unilaterally declaring them to belong to "a healing class" is more likely to tick them off than make them willing to help you.

Armatone
03-17-2017, 09:47 AM
Even with a healing cleric along it is good to carry your own healing just in case.

After character creation if you run the Grotto just after you enter you can turn around and exit, go back to Jeets' camp and smash crates all the way back to the Grotto. You can do this 4-5 times and get about 20-30 Starter Pots AND about 3 Plat.

Starter Pots cost the same as Lesser Heals AND give you better healing and are available in Korthos Village and in the Harbor.

Running the Korthos Village & Island will get you about 20-30 additional Starter Pots and some regular Lesser Heals. You will also earn about 20-30 Plat before you even cash in on the items you don't need.

Play how you want. DDO gives you that flexibility. But in general "Quest smarter, not harder."

Lonnbeimnech
03-17-2017, 09:53 AM
Been playing for a few weeks on different servers (as either a rogue or fighter) and keep getting into groups with classes that can heal but don't and I end up dead (and not just from taking a lot of damage in a short time , i've set at below 50% health for most of an instance without a heal , besides a shrine). I know the easy answer to this problem is to make a healer (or buy healing pots , but as a new player i don't have much plat to constantly keep supply) also i prefer to be in the frontline (either as a tank or melee dps) Is there a reason for a healing class to not throw out heals? (this includes Pallies , clerics , favored soul)

Ya see how you just said, essentially, I could heal but, meh, I'll let someone else do it.

Well, they probably thought the same thing.

Besides that, your excuse doesn't make too much sense. Build a paladin and play as a front line melee and heal yourself. You can do the same thing with cleric of fvs too.

Armatone
03-17-2017, 09:57 AM
Even with a healing cleric along it is good to carry your own healing just in case.

After character creation if you run the Grotto just after you enter you can turn around and exit, go back to Jeets' camp and smash crates all the way back to the Grotto. You can do this 4-5 times and get about 20-30 Starter Pots AND about 3 Plat.

Starter Pots cost the same as Lesser Heals AND give you better healing and are available in Korthos Village and in the Harbor.

Running the Korthos Village & Island will get you about 20-30 additional Starter Pots and some regular Lesser Heals. You will also earn about 20-30 Plat before you even cash in on the items you don't need.

Play how you want. DDO gives you that flexibility. But in general "Quest smarter, not harder."

Readcom
03-17-2017, 10:18 AM
So borrow some money. the bank of stomreach is open 10 to 10 business hour and buy stuff for go venturing.