PDA

View Full Version : Good Gear for Sorcerer Leveling?

GaxTheImmortal
03-13-2017, 07:33 PM
What is some good heroic leveling equipment? Things to look out for, things to actively search out, etc.

C-Dog
03-13-2017, 10:22 PM
If you're starting at Level 1, you need a decent Great Axe. Yes. Grab a stack of Master's Touch scrolls and rock the Graxe at least until you get your Lvl 2 spells. Even w/ 8 Str, it's pro'ly the best DPS you can achieve.

<Edit - I greyed out the above, b/c it's flawed advice. Late night braincramp, -1 Rep, light a match. Thx to those below who corrected me.> :confused:

Obviously you want both spell power and lore in your chosen Savant(s). It's extremely rare to find both on one item (and then it's usually a #%@$ing 2-handed staff), so you often have to grab the best rings/etc. you can find - a ring of Feather Fall w/ a +8% crit chance, for instance - nice. (You'll outlevel the Power items quickly - gotta live with that. Grab what you can to last until you find better. Haunt the AH.)

Some big Charisma boost, obviously, but pro'ly also some small Strength boost (since you dumped Str - can't get weight down by loot).

If you're going rely at all on Spells (rather than pure SLA's), spell points are an important boost, and something to raise your DC's.

(And, again epending on the build, a good buckler/small shield, if you went that way.)

Gotta fit Fortification in there.

You want to get Jump into the teens/twenties, so at lower levels a bonus there. And something to keep you kiting fast, so a couple Anger's Gift or some other ER/Speed item.

Pro'ly some other stuff.

Hobgoblin
03-13-2017, 10:31 PM
If you're starting at Level 1, you need a decent Great Axe. Yes. Grab a stack of Master's Touch scrolls and rock the Graxe at least until you get your Lvl 2 spells. Even w/ 8 Str, it's pro'ly the best DPS you can achieve.

Just touching on this - this will not work as master touch is cast on the weapon not the person.

So if you have masters touch, you can cast it but not scrolling it

GaxTheImmortal
03-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Thank you.

Are there any named items that are good to watch out for, other than the RoSS?

EllisDee37
03-13-2017, 10:53 PM
Cannith challenge gear is pretty sweet:

Bracers of Wind for electricity spells
Cloak of Flames for fire spells
Rock Boots for acid spells
Frozen Tunic for cold spells (only for fleshies; robots can't wear clothes)

Obviously you won't want all four.

Eth
03-14-2017, 03:14 AM

This is a common misconception that might be true for wizards, but not for sorcs.
Don't use a melee weapon on a sorc.
It's not required at all. Sorcs are one of the most powerful classes in super early levels.

Burning hands + acid spray.
Get the SLAs from both trees first and use them maximised + empowered. You'll oneshot most things with these SLAs early on.
Unmetad spells for anything that survives.

Eth
03-14-2017, 03:19 AM
What is some good heroic leveling equipment? Things to look out for, things to actively search out, etc.

Cannith crafted weapons. Spellpower + crit chance for whatever two savants you go for.
Vibrant Purple Ioun stone (unsuppressed) gives you archmagi and +3 spell pen at level 5, making it the best trinket early on.

Other than that max Con and Charisma on your gear. PRR and healing amp also help. You can get all this with CC gear. Helmets are nice for +DCs to all spells. Gloves are good for insightful spellpower.

GaxTheImmortal
03-14-2017, 01:11 PM
Thanks. Definitely looking for those.

I'm planning on going Dragonborn once it comes out. I have an epic level char who I'm planning to TR to sorc.
Is light armor worth it, and how can I get 0% ASF without Arcane Fluidity? Assume I don't have mithral, twilight, or the blue asf reduction augments (I'm thinking of grabbing Blue Dragonhide).

Gratch
03-14-2017, 01:33 PM
With U35 on its way, just reincarnated to do a wfged 3x of lives. Up to level 5 (1 barb, 4 sorc) running mostly 2 skulls solo. Pair of meta'd SLA's are very nice. Especially for Reapers that are annoying to take down with non-GT melee. Though I've still been exploded when pairs of reapers spawn.

Leveling order Sorc(Max), Barb, Sorc(Emp), S, S... Have found, auctioned, crafted enough gear that I didn't even steal the L5 Chrono set off a bank mule (though I probably should... I think it's still an okay set). Will craft a few slavers heroic items with some leftover heroic ingredients when I get there and figure out the rest of the slots. Maybe use these lives to get a 5-set heroic caster gearing... given you can get mats so much faster and they require 1/4... though those quests... are so blargh with the brain-squashing number of runs.

ToEE heroic caster items and lore upgrade have not aged well at all versus cannith crafted or random caster gear. Pity.

cru121
03-14-2017, 02:24 PM
lores >> spellpower

spinneret
ML10 CC goggles: +3 evo, +2 ins.evo
pansophic circlet
earthen mantle
brazenband
topaz of evocation
dashing gloves

GaxTheImmortal
03-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Does the Spinneret Crit Chance stack with element-specific crit chance?
Also the Dashing Gloves only have resonance. Are shout and greater shout that good?

Definitely going for the others, thanks.

EllisDee37
03-14-2017, 03:32 PM
lores >> spellpowerI've actually been thinking about that in terms of whether I should upgrade my old cannith challenge caster gear to the new versions, which have much more spellpower but less lore. For heroic leveling, it seems like lore = spellpower so I should definitely work on upgrades next bonus weekend.

Consider a spell that does 100 damage (for easy math):

10 spellpower, 0 lore, does 110 damage every attack
0 spellpower, 10 lore, does 100 damage 90% of the time and 200 damage 10% of the time =
100 * .9 + 200 * .1 = 90 + 20 =
110 average damage

GaxTheImmortal
03-14-2017, 03:38 PM
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/472064-Comprehensive-Spell-Power-Crit-Chance-Crit-Damage-Breakdowns

Crit Chance doesn't tend to be better than a medium amount of spellpower. But if Spinneret stacks with element-specific, it will totally be worth it (100-450 spellpower worth). Otherwise, it won't do much for me and I'll only get it if I have everything else I want.

Enoach
03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
While there are named items out there that can be helpful I think there are some generic items as a leveling sorcerer you want to pay attention to...

While you don't need to re-gear every level you should potentially upgrade at least every 5 levels

Spell Power - Primary and Secondary
Lore - For Elements to match your spell power
Charisma Item -> Boost DCs as well as Spell Point Pool
Evocation/Conjuration focus items -> Boost DCs of your primary spells
Spell Point Item
Constitution Item -> Dead = Zero DPS
False Life Item -> Hit Points
Vitality Item -> Hit Points
Resistance Item -> Saves to reduce save failure incapacitation or damage

One of the advantages of the Cannith Crafting system is that with enough levels you can craft Spell Power + Lore items.
Spell Power is Crafting level 50
Lore is Crafting level 100

It is the Minimum Level that is the variable with Level 10 being Crafting Level 100 and Level 20 being Crafting Level 200. So if you already have 100+ Crafting Level you will be able to craft the spell damage gear as long as you have the ingredients.

Prior to SLAs Arcane's at early levels did better depending on Master's Touch and a Two Handed Weapon. SLAs changed that. While you can still go the early level melee option, you have more available to you.

cru121
03-15-2017, 01:46 AM
spinneret lore does not stack, I am using it for the stacking +1 DC, and some quality potency.

lore > spell power:
we get free 225 spell power from metas, and the 100 base
so I you have to choose between two similar caster sticks, one with slightly better spell power, other with slightly better lore, grab lore

Eth
03-15-2017, 02:19 AM
Is light armor worth it, and how can I get 0% ASF without Arcane Fluidity? Assume I don't have mithral, twilight, or the blue asf reduction augments (I'm thinking of grabbing Blue Dragonhide).

Eldritch Knight gives you light armor proficiency and 5% ASF for 7 points. If you also take the second core you get another 5% ASF.
10% is enough for a lot of good light armor (there's some with 15% and even 20% too?).
Otherwise you could use a blue augment, but you also need the proficiency, which is best done through the EK enhancements. I wouldn't use a feat on it.