PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Morninglord past lives

snook59
03-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Without getting into all the reasons not to play a Morninglord I am going to for the past life feats. I repeat I am going to for the past life feats...I do not want to play a cleric and I don't have hearts of wood available to get rid of the cleric level so it's going to be there no matter what I do. This is going to be painful for me lol...anyway, is there a build that would help me get this over with as quickly as possible. I would rather not go warlock but will if it is going to be the best way to go.

Tricosene
03-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Without getting into all the reasons not to play a Morninglord I am going to for the past life feats. I repeat I am going to for the past life feats...I do not want to play a cleric and I don't have hearts of wood available to get rid of the cleric level so it's going to be there no matter what I do. This is going to be painful for me lol...anyway, is there a build that would help me get this over with as quickly as possible. I would rather not go warlock but will if it is going to be the best way to go.

Since you don't want to play a cleric, you could do a Paladin 18 / Cleric 1 / Fighter 1. I just finished a sun elf using that build and it worked well for me. Probably warlock would be quicker, isn't everything easier when you make a pact?

snook59
03-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Since you don't want to play a cleric, you could do a Paladin 18 / Cleric 1 / Fighter 1. I just finished a sun elf using that build and it worked well for me. Probably warlock would be quicker, isn't everything easier when you make a pact?

So the splash's didn't bother you to much? I was concerned about the cleric not having synergy with much but it looks like you kind of ignored it?

Lonnbeimnech
03-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Got any mauls?

6 cleric levels and you can get
Blessing of Silvanus

Cooldown: 6 seconds
Usage: , Toggled Stance
Prerequisite: Level 6: Cleric, Favored Soul, Paladin; Favored by Silvanus

Description

You are a devoted follower of Silvanus, and your faith has been rewarded. Toggling this on gives you Blessing of Silvanus: You permanently gain a +4 natural armor bonus to AC, and Mauls you wield gain +2 to their Critical Threat Range.

Then the rest fighter or barb or whatever. Pick up divine might too.

Erik.the.Read
03-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Cant do Silvanus on a morninglord.

Tricosene
03-11-2017, 03:46 PM
So the splash's didn't bother you to much? I was concerned about the cleric not having synergy with much but it looks like you kind of ignored it?

Right. It did give me the nightshield spell, however, which I continued using even at level 30. Also, it increased my spell point pool more than one additional paladin level would have, which was nice.

Of course, you miss out on the paladin capstone, but like you, I just wanted a sun elf life, without a +1 heart.

It also gave me an excuse to pick up a fighter level (and an additional feat) since I was already missing out on the capstone.

Now I'm on my second sun elf life as a 1 cleric / 19 FVS (light / DC caster build).

Tricosene
03-11-2017, 03:53 PM

Also, if you don't mind pale master, Andoris recommended the sun elf as a 1 cleric / 19 wizard build for getting wizard past lives (and of course, you would get your sun elf life in the process). Of course it's not ideal, but losing the one level didn't break his build. And you get the benefit of grabbing arcanum in the sun elf tree, which is nice for a pale master.

Here's his post. (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/405017-Pale-Master-Guide)

snook59
03-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Right. It did give me the nightshield spell, however, which I continued using even at level 30. Also, it increased my spell point pool more than one additional paladin level would have, which was nice.

Of course, you miss out on the paladin capstone, but like you, I just wanted a sun elf life, without a +1 heart.

It also gave me an excuse to pick up a fighter level (and an additional feat) since I was already missing out on the capstone.

Now I'm on my second sun elf life as a 1 cleric / 19 FVS (light / DC caster build).

hmmm, this one looks more interesting to me....I can use the FVS heroic if I ever want to do completionist..thanks for your time and help. This will assist me a lot with getting those pesky I don't want to play lives out of the way.

Atremus
03-12-2017, 07:48 PM
hmmm, this one looks more interesting to me....I can use the FVS heroic if I ever want to do completionist..thanks for your time and help. This will assist me a lot with getting those pesky I don't want to play lives out of the way.

Here's my Sunelf/Morning Lord FvS: The Angel of Amaunator (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/469479-The-Angel-of-Amaunator)

This is a light based nuking build with functional DC's.

The Wizard Level gives you a feat and sonic blast to speed up obtaining Ransack. I still play this build today even though I posted it 2 years ago.

jeremyt
03-13-2017, 04:53 AM
if your more into a scrappy melee could do a strength and cha based 13 bard 6 fighter 1 cleric. Get 3rd kensei core. probably do 5th tier warchanter. focus on tactical DCs. Get AOE freeze/freeze/imp trip/stunning blow.

1 lev of cleric gives access to divine might. so its actually solid and carries its weight.

buckler and handaxe morninglord :) good dps and tactics

personally i did a morninglord as a melee bard but didnt work the handaxe/kensei angle. so I went 18 bard 1 cleric/1 rogue. so was able to trap. mainly used brush hook, solid dps as well. I think the handaxe build would pull ahead pretty soidly lev 26 + though, specially with expanded crit range haxe coming next update

Whitering
06-16-2017, 01:59 PM
For future people looking for a Morninglord build, if you like melee, just do Axel's battlecleric. To date, it's my favourite character, yes, more than Warlock. I haven't used my Pinion yet though which may pull ahead I suppose.

What's the most exciting thing about Battlecleric? Lots of classes have self healing. What you get with cleric is AoE, no SP, HoTs and bursts that are incredible. You can have both of your cats out and never worry about them! Want to run Devil Assault on Epic with cats and bears you don't have to think about? Ya, they are fun!

SocratesBastardSon
08-17-2017, 04:05 PM
I'm assuming more people do warlock for non-cleric Morninglord builds than anything else, so most people are probably familiar with what I'm going to say. But I thought I'd report my thoughts without getting too detailed on the build. I did Warlock 18/Cl 1/Pal or Fighter 1. This toon did not have more than 1 past life in any class, as I was working towards Completionist.

Overall, I loved it. It was a dominating build all the way up to 30, and did well in Reaper. There is a great deal of synergy between doing a melee Warlock-ES, burst/aura modified with Utterdark Blast, and going up to t4 in Morninglord racial enhancements. I even liked having the 1 cleric level: I did a descent amount of healing with Cure Light, and combining Turn Undead, Bane of of the Restless, and Divine Light meant my turns did a lot of light damage to undead. However, I did this build again and substituted Fighter for Paladin so I could get the Kensai Haste Boost, which was much more useful for a melee build.

On Epic I went with Divine Crusader. It was a tough call giving up the big health boost from Unyielding Sentinel, and the combat boosts from Dreadnought (I needed to finish a Divine destiny), but Consecration...Crusade more than made up for it. The AoE debuffs from the Aura of Purification line work well with the Aura/Burst style of the build as well.

The end result was probably the easiest EE build I've ever done. Like I said, on Reaper it was good too, but I was near the end of running the build when Reaper came out so I didn't get to test it out extensively. I'll be doing the same build again at some point, and then I'll get a better sense on Reaper performance. To return to your main question about ML past lives, I would highly recommend doing a Warlock and keeping the one Cleric level. Two levels in Cleric are less useful than a Paladin or Fighter level, at least in the post-U36 version of DDO.