PDA

View Full Version : Second Life Sorcerer Journal

AbyssalMage
01-26-2017, 11:27 AM
The Journey Begins!!!

So I asked some questions Here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/481114-Next-life-Sorcerer) and got some wonderful feedback, which also alleviated some of my fears for another caster life (1st life was Wizard, which I didn't exactly enjoy). So not it's on to a Sorcerer life. I am basing my build off of Farwind's Build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/415819-Farwind-An-Air-savant-Endgame-EE-DPS-Build) (So no, it isn't original).

So basically I am going to keep a "Journal" of my experience, so it is easier to reflect on what transpires over the next 20 levels (plus Epic). No videos or screenshots. No flashy storytelling, although I did consider it. Just points of interest, to me. Hopefully others find it useful, or offer suggestions, so the trip is as smooth as possible.

P.S. The other reason for the "journal" is I hope it keeps me focused so that I level from 1 to 20 faster than normal. Usually takes me 3 months or longer because I get distracted with other characters.

P.S.S. Any edit's from here on out will be to clarify, correct grammar, or cosmetic.

Prologue
TR'ing sucks. I spent the better part of 6 hours preparing and finally doing an Epic and Heroic Reincarnate. This doesn't include the time I spent farming some possible gear for this life. Skyvault Shield has a horrendous drop rate, FYI. But it is official, my wizard became a Sorcerer on 1-25-17.

AbyssalMage
01-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Basics
Ok, so I decided on Human :) I debated Drow for the extra DC for Enchanment but this is going to be mainly played in "Hard" content unless I group. The extra DC didn't seem that important with this in mind and I really wanted the Bonus Feat (The two posts linked above can provide any background I may "gloss" over here).

EPL: Energy Critical x 1

Tomes - +3 to each Ability score. +5 to Intelligence.

Starting Stats - 18 Charisma, 13 Intelligence, 17 Constitution

Spells - Expeditious Retreat, Niac's Cold Ray

Level 1
So, I started "naked" and decided to do the "introductory adventure." Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I had no material components so I was unable to cast any spells :( So no Ray! Considering you can't die, I just beat everything on the head with my Q-Staff.

Once I made it to the island I decided that I would stay on Snowy Side (No guild buffs :( ), no healing potions, and no "twink gear" (which doesn't hurt considering I have nothing for level 1). I died, after running out of SP's so I decided to purchase the Healing Mercenary. With the mercenary, had no trouble finishing stuff on Hard difficulty.

Gear of Note:
Nothing

AbyssalMage
01-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Level 2
Finished off Korthos Explorer (i.e. Unlocked the map). I actually ran around as a level 1 completing this stuff on Hard. Once I returned to the village to claim rewards/advance the story arc, I took level 2. Finished Misery's Peak but forgot to check my spell components! Between Sonic Blast and SLA Shocking Grasp (T.1) wasn't horrible, but not very smooth either. With the new Agro fail, Sonic Blast was actually very useful. Had a Green and Orange Dungeon Alert where I just spammed Blast stunning/killing the cultists :)

Spells:
Sonic Blast (new)

Gear of Note:
CSW, Curse Removal, Poison Removal, Disease Removal, Lesser Restoration, Bull's Strength, Eagle's Splendor
Harper Pin, Lesser

Chest: Robe of Invulnerability

Swap: Archivist's Necklace

Level 3
After finishing Baudry's Interest story arc, I had enough XP for level 3. Decided I would, so I could equip more gear. That and I am not penalized for taking level 3, so no harm, no foul :) Baudry's bugged out on me (protect the crate one) and had to shrine, exit, reset, and do again :( Otherwise, time to do Harbor so I can move into the Market and C. Hills.

Ended up finding a group half way through Harbor so repeated a few adventures on both Korthos Island and Harbor. Long story short, Elite wasn't too difficult but Niac's really is annoying when NPC's save. Finished all the level 2 adventures and Sonic Blast really is powerful vs. living :)

Spells: Jump (new)
Gear of Note:
Wrists: Bracers of Wind
Back: Phiarlan Mirror Cloak
Ring: Ring of Elemental Essence

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling
Other: Harper Pin, Lesser

AbyssalMage
01-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Level 4

This was a fast level.

Ran around Cerulean Hills grabbing the Explorer Points and finishing the two adventures located out here. I was a little upset that I didn't find more Rare encounters, but hey, they are Rare. I then ran the Catacombs adventure pack where I picked up the Silver Flame Bracers. Now I actually have a Protection from Evil Clicky in my TR cache but I was being lazy. Now my clicky can stay in my cache :) I ran Redfang and then Swiped Signet, where a WF FvS joined up with me. This was a good thing because I was 50% through my SP bar and still had a ways to the Shrine. So we hit up WW (where we did Elite) and knocked out the first two parts of the story arc before he logged. I ended up starting Tangleroot because, well, I need more clickies. I didn't have DW clickies on my Wizard Life (and I have a ton of alts) so running this chain as much as possible is a necessity. Grabbed all of the explorers on my way up to Splinterskull. Unfortunately that left me with very little SP's for Fist Strike which necessitated me waiting around for Echoes of Power to replenish my SP's so I could spam Sonic Blast thee times before standing around again.

So some observations I made while playing. I noticed my spell cycle has become Electric Loop + Sonic Blast with Shocking Grasp SLA (when things get too close). Niac's SLA is being resisted way too much, even for 4 sp, I rather just cast Sonic instead for less damage. This has led me to make some changes at level 5.

Spells:
Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Niac's, Sonic Blast
Electric Loop

Gear of Note:
Ring: Ring of Elemental Essence

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers

Level 5
So the first major change I made was I dropped my Ice Savant PrE. It was probably a level premature because I still do not have the AP's to get Electric Loop SLA (which is a huge bummer :( ) I really was detesting the number of saves Niac's was getting, even in hard content. I will be swapping out Niac's (the spell too) but I am not sure what level one spell I will be replacing it with so my spell list doesn't reflect this change yet (it will at a later time). Also, level 5 is where I begin "twinking" my characters so I have expanded my "Gear of Note" to what I have currently equipped from here on out.

Well, I died a few more times. Think my total is up to 4 now. The fact that I continuously die in the same trap in the same quest regardless of toon would teach me something. Nope. I'll just walk right into it face first and go *Ding*

My spell rotation has become the same three spells: Sonic Blast, Electric Loop, and SLA Shocking Grasp (vs. anything left standing). The Vibrant Purple Ioun Stone is paying off huge too. Which brings me to my next observation.

Champions suck! There just huge bags of HP's who become very dangerous during instant Red Alert. Hopefully they fix the stupid "Agro the whole dungeon" fiasco in the next patch. I'm fine until the stupid crowns start surrounding me and the Dungeon Alert keeps climbing. Maybe this is why I am using my two best AoE spells? Regardless, it is nice to be collecting Remnants again.

Spells:
Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Shield, Sonic Blast *Removed Niac's Cold Ray*
Electric Loop, Scorching Ray

Gear of Note:
Head: Helm of Frost*
Goggles: Blasting +2 (Random Loot)
Trinket: Vibrant Purple Ioun Stone
Necklace: Health +4 (Legacy CC)
Chest: Robe of Invulnerability (Legacy CC)
Waist: Rugged Belt
Hands: Charged Guantlets*
Feet: Boots of Corrosion*
Ring: Charismatic +4 (Legacy CC)
Ring(swap): Dire Magnetic 8 Ring of Magnetism 54 (Random)

Primary: Magnetic 59 of Sonic Lore 7 (Random)
Secondary: Resonating 55 (Random)

* - Lesser Might of the Abashai, +1 Profane CL to Evocation Spells

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1)

Level 6

This was a weird level for me. NPC's seemed to be split between dying in one shot or taking three or more. Not sure if this is where one of the level increases was from "Classic DDO" or not. The difference wasn't terrible noticeable thanks to a large SP pool though. I am still getting used to seeing Champions on a regular basis. I wish their drop chance was the same as Elite, SSG already penalizes you with lower drop amounts. Combined, it is really annoying and feels vindictive.

Thanks to having low strength, I claimed a Wand of Fireballs in a End Reward List :p Unfortunately, I already finished the adventure where it would have been useful. Well, I'll have it for next time :) Sonic Blast may soon drop out of my spell rotation because of the amount of HP's NPC's now have. But the AoE stun is still fairly reliable which makes it hard to drop out of the rotation yet. No deaths at this level :)

Update U34 is here. Doesn't look like it will negatively effect "casual" Sorcerers at all so that should be good.

Spells:
Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Shield, Sonic Blast
Electric Loop, Scorching Ray
Lightning Bolt

Gear of Note:
Waist: Deathblock of False Life 8 (Random)

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1)

AbyssalMage
01-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Level 7
U34 Officially Here!
I've officially have 1 Fire/Ice Spell in my spell book. Let's see how long that lasts. Still on the fence on what I am trying to do at this point in Heroics. Now off to go play some before sleeping.

I like that the new Champions provide better immersion than the previous system. Too bad it's nearly impossible to see them so when getting swarmed by 2 or 3, it's easy to miss one which means (near) death. Haven't done any Reaper which is fine.

I've noticed their have been little things I forgot to get before TR'ing making some things I normally take for granted, quite annoying because I can't do them anymore (i.e. No TS at level 5 thanks to DM Vision :( ). The other thing I notice is all the "little" XP I lose thanks to not having VoM on full time. I must make a point to make 2 (or 3) 5% Augments for next life.

As far as leveling goes, the only excitement was not seeing Champions because their crowns are nearly invisible now. I really do not enjoy Heroic Adventures in this level range. Unfortunately I have to slog through some pretty terrible content in this level range (imo) before I get to Sands and VoN. But I will get there :)

Spells:
Electric Loop, Scorching Ray, Web
Lightning Bolt, Frost Lance

Gear of Note:
Wrists: Bracers of Wind (lvl 7)
Waist: Greater False Life (Legacy CC)

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1), Twisted Talisman

Level 8
Ok, so I made a couple major decision before I started level 8. One was I would go Air/Fire Sorcerer until level 16'ish (at least this is the plan). I really do like FW a lot so I want it to "crit" more often and only way I can do that is with investing in the Fire Savant Tree. This means I removed Frost Lance from my spell book until later date. The second decision was to replace my Invulnerability Robe "early." I probably could get another one for two levels out of it (which I have done in the past) but I really want Heavy Fortification (against Champions and Rogues) and I am trying to wait 'till level 10 (or 11/12 when GS becomes available) before I begin crafting for this character.

Well, I finally ran into multiple Over Performing Champions at this level, all within the Sentinels Chain. In one instance, I blame a "bug" (Bargain Bazaar) because it was just ruthless to my Sorcerer. 4 deaths (3 + 1 where I couldn't reach the shrine requiring me to recall), 50+ CSW potions, and I was unable to complete (i.e. I couldn't make it back to a rez shrine). Reset the instance, used 20 CSW potions, no deaths, and I finished in 2/3 time it took me to die/wipe on fist run. It was just that stark of a difference between the two.

I really feel like I just slogged through this level. Not sure if it is/was because I am not feeling well in RL (Dang Flu) or that the adventures just don't hold my interest. Tears of Dhraken (sp?) was really the only one I looked forward to. Sentinels I have a love/hate relationship with thanks to the Water that grinds you to a halt in Black Loch, the long run to Bargain Bazaar, and all the traps/Mario jumping in the Tide Turns. The one funny note is make sure to run Taming the Flames before you decide to spec Lit/Fire :p It was really annoying to enter that adventure knowing just minutes before I removed my only Ice spell, and spec'd for Fire. All I had to do was wait 10 minutes and that adventure would have been a lot easier.

Spells:
Electric Loop, Scorching Ray, Web
Lightning Bolt, Fireball *Removed: Frost Lance*
Firewall

Gear of Note:
Chest: Quicksilver Cassok (w/Heavy Fortification)

Primary: Combustive 59 (Random)
Secondary: Resonating 55 of Sonic Lore 8(Random)

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1), Twisted Talisman

Level 9
So I did my first Reaper runs! Let's just say I died A LOT! I also learned that I have a lot to learn about being a sorcerer. Their was another sorcerer in the party who basically was a "one man show" in r1. Surprisingly, we had similar HP's and SP's so my guess is that the PL's, play experience, and gear made a huge difference. I had to do an "emergency log off" so I wasn't able to ask him what he was using :(

As far as play, I finally got to do VoN 3/4 and Necro II so not only did the level seem faster, but I gained some more bank space for my hoarding habit. Overall, I really dislike Reaper as it feels like elements of Reaper are "spilling" into non-reaper play (i.e. similar to how Epic Explorers occasionally "spill" over into their Heroic counterpart). Then again, the level went fast, I actually enjoyed playing again, I completed some reaper, so I have that experience.

I finally turned on Maximize for FW so now that is "ticking" for 100's which is nice. Otherwise, metamagics remain for my SLA's only. My spell rotation is now becoming more diverse too. Lightning Bolt and FW are becoming more frequent, as is SLA Shacking Grasp (to finish off stragglers). I'm using Sonic Blast less, but I am not sure if that is because of all the undead content I have been running the last few levels. It's still very reliable for the stun component so not easy to demote to "Barrel Breaker" duty just yet.

Spells:
Electric Loop, Scorching Ray, Web, Knock
Lightning Bolt, Fireball, Rage
Firewall, Dimension Door

Gear of Note:
Necklace: Health +6 (Legacy CC)
Ring: Charismatic +6 (Legacy CC)

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1), Twisted Talisman, Visor of the Flesh Render Guards x 1

AbyssalMage
01-26-2017, 11:31 AM
Level 10
Quick few thoughts. Not sure if I am going to begin crafting gear. Level 10 is the first level you can craft Insightful onto gear so I need to look at Wiki and figure out were the points are that provide the most benefit for the amount of resources expended. I know I will craft 15 and 20, just not sure if it is worth crafting at 10, 11, or 12. Oh, the decisions :p As always, I will update the Gear of Note "as needed."

An update on crafting gear. Well I guess I forgot I needed to break down items I found while adventuring again because I logged onto my main/crafter and discovered I had a shortage of essences. Had the collectables (mostly) but virtually no essences. Well, that places a "no go" on crafting for the time being :p I guess it was possible to go through 40k essences (or so).

Well, as far as adventuring goes, VoN 3 kicked my Sorc's rear end more than normal. I died 14 times and my mercenary I think would have kicked my rear end as many times as I sacrificed him to the beholder :) So the short version is I somehow got disoriented near the end, with the 3 champions and ended up agro'ing all 3 of them because I walked into their area like I was "King" or something. After realizing where I was, I hightailed it out, leaving my Merc as a decoy. Summoned the Merc to me, and began spamming spells hoping to kill them off. Needless to say, I wounded all three but didn't actually finish any of them off. So I sent my merc on suicide missions, slowly whittling away at the "Eye Tyrant's" HP's. Many deaths later, I finally came away victorious, and a lot of damaged gear. The final boss wasn't nearly as difficult.

Finished Red Fens, where defending the Drow Village wasn't nearly as difficult as normal. I did lose more Drow than normal, but that I think was because of Over Performing Champions. A few got 1 shotted, on hard, which was alarming. Spec'ing in Air was nice for the final adventure because many NPC's take double damage. I also got a lot of chests/remnants in this instance even though I saw more champions in the Fire Giant Caves.

One final thought. Coyle. I kept him alive. Not sure how. Honestly I planned on letting him become incapacitated but it never happened. That was a pleasant surprise.

Spells:
Lightning Bolt, Fireball, Rage
Firewall, Dimension Door
Eldar's Eletric Surge

Gear of Note:
Goggles: Blasting +3 of Evocation +2 (w/Open)(Crafted lvl 10)
Necklace: Health +6 (Legacy CC)

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1), Twisted Talisman, Visor of the Flesh Render Guards x 1

Level 11
Ok, so I need to collect essences (and some ingredients). I will probably be doing that over the next few days so I will be shelving the TR project for 2 to 4 days. Can't believe I had no essences. I was/am so upset about such a small oversight.

Haha, so 2 to 4 days became weeks. I started collecting essences and ended up eTR'ing my Barbarian Alt (WooHoo) because I started playing that way more often. Anyways, got some more essences but in the process depleted my collectables. Grrr.... I really dislike the new CC (for various reasons). I also became VIP, so that I could get the Lion (Thanks SSG) so I decided to run a few adventures on Elite that I had skipped because I out leveled them (on a hard BB streak). I do have to say that relearning Sorcerer is painful after playing Ranger (main) and Barbarian (spamming AoE cleaves).

So we got a new update which has broken multiple small things (pretty par for the course regardless who is running the "show" I guess). So Elite hasn't been all that much different than Hard with my gear. I am dying more frequently but not sure if it is because of all the new (minor) bugs or the actual challenge of Elite. I do have to say that Champions (when they do show up, thanks to one of the bugs) don't one round (or one shot) me anymore. So that was a QoL improvement I do appreciate. Necro II Cursed Crypt was probably the easiest run I have ever had. When my sorcerer was a PM Wizard, I remember dying quite a bit on that final fight with FW. I had no problems this time :) Sonic Blast has basically become a "Barrel Breaker" spell mostly because of the amount of Undead in this level range. Not sure if it will return to the normal spell rotation because the DC is going to continue to get worse (and I am not going to Heighten it, currently). I was supposed to update Expedition Retreat but never did. Oh, the lack of power of level 1 spells. Will change that for level 12 :) I also did get a few minor gear improvements while farming ingredients/essences and updated gear, accordingly.

Spells:
Lightning Bolt, Fireball, Rage, Displacement
Firewall, Dimension Door, Fire Shield
Eldar's Eletric Surge, Teleport

Gear of Note:
Head: Minos Legens
Goggles: Blasting +3 of Evocation +2 (w/Open) (Crafted lvl 10)
Necklace: Torc of Prince Raiyum-de II
Wrists: GS Smoke (Cleansed)
Back: GS Con-Op w/Blindness Immunity
Waist: Hardy 6 of False Life 21 (w/Open) (Crafted lvl 10)
Hands: Ogre Power +4 (Legacy CC)
Feet: Speed VI of Lightning Guard (Random)

Primary: Magnetism 72 of Lightning Lore 10
Secondary: Combustion 60 of Fire Lore 13 (legacy)

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1), Twisted Talisman, Visor of the Flesh Render Guards x 2

Level 12
Ok, so I updated my spells. I chose Master's Touch because I will be using a shield "soon" and I didn't feel like carrying 100 scrolls around. It will eventually get swapped out for Feather Falling, Grease, Magic Missile, or something :p But not for awhile. My play time is going to be coming to an abrupt slow down (again :( ) so I may get another level in before that happens but nothing is guaranteed. So although there may be a long pause between updates, I haven't forgotten about this journal, it is because I won't have access to a computer with internet to play DDO as often.

Well, 2/1/2018 and I finally decided to work my Sorcerer again. I guess keeping a journal wasn't a strong enough incentive. So the new incentive is to make level 20 in 14 days. 1 level every 2 days, sounds reasonable. So I became VIP again mostly because I really do like opening up Elite on first/second life characters. We are now at U37 so there have been quite of few game updates since the last patch. I actually ran Black and Blue and Newcomers on HE and died more than I would like. SP's weren't too much of an issue. Of course, I died every time seconds (literally) before the Boss would have died. So lost some nice chunks of XP on each for reentry penalties. Did Bring me the head of Ghola-Fan! which went well until the end fight. At first I thought I died to a disintegrate but after purchasing a Cake from the DDO store, and finishing Ghola-Fan, I soon discovered multiple Orange named Champions had spawned and that is what killed me. So although frustrating I am no finished with the level. [May add a Orb I got out of Black and Blue (or was it Newcomers?) but wanted to finally update journal).

P.S. Oops, I originally put this under the level 13 and not level 12.

Spells:
Master's Touch, Jump, Shield, Sonic Blast * Expeditious Retreat (removed) *
Firewall, Dimension Door, Fire Shield
Eldar's Eletric Surge, Teleport
Chain Lighting

Gear of Note:
Head: Minos Legens
Hands: Ogre Power +4 (Legacy CC)

Secondary: Combustion 60 of Fire Lore 13 (legacy)

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1), Twisted Talisman, Visor of the Flesh Render Guards x 2

AbyssalMage
01-26-2017, 11:31 AM
Level 13
Ok, so I died A LOT! I really don't like this level range for a variety of reasons but generally speaking I don't find it fun. I did Necro III chain where I was again tormented in Tomb of the Tormented (I just had finished this a few days earlier on my main with horror stories). I figured this would be a "cake walk" because I was a caster...WRONG! Puzzle 1 and 2 went by fast (Puzzle 2 was my bane just a week earlier). No, I get the rat through the third maze and he decides to pause, not once, not twice, not even thrice, but 4 times in the last trap to "smell" for food. Needless to say my blood was pumping because of that stupid rat (did I mention I spent hours, no hyperbole, on the second puzzle a few days earlier?). So 90 minutes later, the rat finally decided to go through the trap without "smelling" for food. Caravan was a disaster (I died immediately after finishing so I got full XP, that is positive I guess). I did most of the Mechturanean Desert (sp?) level 11 adventures. So I was done and ready to move on.

Spells:
Master's Touch, Jump, Shield, Sonic Blast
Firewall, Dimension Door, Fire Shield, Crushing Despair (New)
Eldar's Eletric Surge, Teleport, Protection from Elements (New)
Chain Lighting, Heroism

Gear of Note:
Head: Pansophic Circlet (w/Heavy Fortification)
Hands: Mighty 5 of Spell Lore 5 (Random)
Ring(swap): Dire Combustive 13 of Combustion 87 (w/Open (Crafted lvl 13) (new)

Secondary: Glacial Sphere Orb (w/Open) (+2 Mythic)

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1), Twisted Talisman, Visor of the Flesh Render Guards x 3 (added a 3rd one)

Level 14
I started with the House J adventure, the one in Dalera's GY, and made it all the way to the top of the tower before thinking, "Hmmm...I think the Lich is immune to everything I got." Sure enough, he was. Well, that was a quick death and release :( Did a few other things and then...So off to Mechturanean Desert (SP?) to hopefully cap out 14. Oath of Blood actually went decently smooth. The "gnoll fortress one to get the Djinn Orb" was fine until I died to each and every trap in it (in case you don't know, there are 4 so I guess I only died 3 times, I lived through the ones you walk down the "middle" to avoid). It was the first time I have ever saved the Dwarf, so 8 years later, the guy finally lived. I decided to give Wiz-King a go because I was in the area. Yeah, there is a Lich so wasn't expecting the best. Surprisingly, I only died once (the trap in the Hallway) but otherwise had no trouble navigating the three towers. My Cleric finished off the Lich as I stood there useless (but ready to scroll Heal, if needed). Surprisingly the Cleric killed the Lich on Elite all by himself. So with a little under 1k to cap, some quick slayers (undead) got me that last bit of XP and I was done.

Spells:
Firewall, Dimension Door, Fire Shield, Crushing Despair (New)
Eldar's Eletric Surge, Teleport, Protection from Elements (New)
Chain Lighting, Greater Heroism

Gear of Note:
Ring(swap): Dire Combustive 13 of Combustion 87 (w/Open (Crafted lvl 13)
Quiver: Quiver of Poison (level 12) (new)

Secondary: Skyvault Shield (level 14) (Open)(Open) (new)

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1), Twisted Talisman, Visor of the Flesh Render Guards x 3

Level 15
Ok, I didn't update at 14 like I should have so my spell selection is messed up for the previous level. Grr...Writing down what I have before I start level 15.

Wow, level 15 went fast (after some minor difficulties). Finished Assault on Stormreach story arc and headed on over to Giant Hold (think I did some other minor things :p ) May I just say that the classic stuff is still more enjoyable than some of the new stuff, even if it doesn't have better "shinies." Anyways, capped out long before I finished all of the level 13 GH so I will be finishing that off as a level 16.

The only other thing to note was I need to look up CC recipes before I craft them from now on. Case in point: I crafted some level 16 goggles to replace my level 10 goggles because it's been 6 levels! I take level 16, rush to the bank to put on my new goggles only to realize they are the same freaking stats. I wasted some precious collectables for NOTHING!!! I could have waited until level 20 and been just as happy. So, I would actually probably be writing about level 16 now but I needed a break from that "small" oversight. So, "Note to self: Check CC planner before making any more gear for the Sorcerer"

Spells:
Firewall, Dimension Door, Fire Shield, Crushing Despair
Eldar's Eletric Surge, Teleport, Mind Fog (new), Cyclonic Blast (New) Protection from Elements (removed)
Chain Lighting, Greater Heroism, Disintegrate
Otto's Sphere of Dancing (new), Protection of Elements, Mass (new)

Gear of Note:
Waist: Hardy 8 of False Life 29 (w/Open) (Crafted lvl 15) (new)
Ring: Alluring 8 ring w/Insightful Charisma +3 (Crafted lvl 15) (new)
Quiver: Quiver of Poison (Level 12)

Secondary: Skyvault Shield (level 14) (Open)(Diamond of Strength +4) (updated w/aug)

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1), Twisted Talisman, Visor of the Flesh Render Guards x 3

AbyssalMage
01-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Level 16
Ok, for those who have noticed, yeah I need to update my Robe. I just have no clue with what. Originally I was going to go with GH Blue Dragonscale but Power Creep makes it obsolete now. There is a robe from some newer content that looks good but I haven't bothered to farm it (yet). The other thing I discovered is I need to switch out Master's Touch as it's useless. That should be happening soon (I have to wait out the timer) but not sure what i am replacing it with. Oh well, off to GH and who knows where else...

Well, Prisoner went decent. Sorcerer vs. Beholder isn't a fair fight :/ That was a DD (while sacrificing my hireling) so I could cast the spell and just moving on to the end fight. Madstone took two runs to complete. Wiped on the 3rd crystal as it was destroyed because my hireling decided she was taking another coffee break. On the second run, almost wiped on the second crystal thanks to Madstone Madness. Thankfully the Seer was invis'd :) Tor was easier than expected although I tried to do the (Black) Dragon optional and quickly abandoned that after failing a disintegrate save. I had barely dealt damage to them for some reason. O'well, wasn't imperative I complete the optionals. Forgot the chain name but ran the one with all of the devils (Grim and Barret, Tavern Brawl, ect..) and glad I picked up Cyclonic Blast from an earlier level. Finished off with Tower of Frost. I just want to say that although I feel Turbine (now SSG) missed it with this one, it's slowly growing on me. I enjoy the two optionals, the end fight made me glad I hadn't switched out of Fire just yet, and the steady climb up the tower feels "right." Too bad that is not enough to overcome it's deficiencies.

Spells:
Scorching Ray, Web, Knock, Resist Energy (New) *Removed* Electric Loop
Eldar's Eletric Surge, Teleport, Mind Fog (new), Cyclonic Blast
Otto's Sphere of Dancing, Protection of Elements, Mass
Otto's Irresistible Dance

Gear of Note:
Goggles: Blasting +3 of Evocation +2 w/insightful +2 Spell Penetration (w/Topaz of Evocation +1) (Crafted lvl 16) (Updated)Grrr.....

Secondary: Skyvault Shield (level 14) (Open)(Diamond of Strength +4)

Level 17
Ok, so I definitely slogged through this level. I repeated some adventures (Delirium x 2, Sinister Storage x 2) and still needed Vale explorers to finish it off. Stupid bugs showed up in spades during the level which made life miserable (but not impossible). Also got hit hard with "lag" probably because of the weekend. In the Flesh caused me to suspend my streak (because Elite is still probably the hardest adventure at level with the exception of HE Chrono) and reset the first instance I made because I think the game forgot I wasn't playing on Elite. Once I reset the instance, not only did I get to the end fight faster using less SP, he didn't give me nearly the challenge he gave me on the prior run. I tried to do Creeping Death but Kobalds having 2500 hp's on Elite (Me + Hireling scaling) was insane. I went through 50% of my SP's and I was only 6 encounters in. Why the developers scale content to the 10% of the gaming population instead of the level range perplexes me. Regardless, I DD'd out, restocked (I was dangerously low on level 6 components) and just meandered through Vale.

Spells:
Scorching Ray, Web, Knock, Resist Energy
Eldar's Eletric Surge, Teleport, Mind Fog (new), Cyclonic Blast
Otto's Sphere of Dancing, Protection of Elements, Mass, Finger of Death (New)
Otto's Irresistible Dance, Polar Ray (New)

Gear of Note:
Goggles: Blasting +3 of Evocation +2 w/insightful +2 Spell Penetration (w/Topaz of Evocation +1) (Crafted lvl 16) Grrr.....
Chest: Robe of Shadow (Level 16) (New)

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1), Twisted Talisman, Visor of the Flesh Render Guards x 3, Shard of Xoriat (new)
Other: Harper Pin, Lesser, Key to the City (new)

Level 18
So I started with Spinner of Shadows (and the one before it) which went terribly. It's why I did a mass spell swap honestly. Finally, I found that Charm kept the Spinner busy enough for me to finish. So my initial plan was to run Vale after flagging for MotU, because that is what I always do. Well, died 20 seconds into Running with the Devils and that plan was immediately scrapped. Looked at the adventure journal and saw Mask of Deception and decided, "Sure, why not." Well, made it 60% through and died. Ship buffed and reset and did much better (my poor mercenary was 2x as dumb though). Decided I would run some of the Whelloon stuff (Because I scratched Vale off my list of doing in Heroics) and began doing these. Did decently, had some hiccups but overall was tearing through the content. Realized I was almost at cap so tried Army of Shadow to finish. Overall, did fine until the final battle. Wiped and had to call it a night. Wednesday server reset day :( Got back on after server resets (or more accurately, after work) and tried again. Did worse than my first try. By this time, explorer's and Monster Manual made it so I only needed 5k to cap so I popped my Lioness and the Purple Worm stood no more. So now I stand cap and have decided to call this journal finished. I'll take my sorcerer through epics but it will probably take me another year (because yes, I level this slow).

Spells:
Jump, Shield, Sonic Blast, Magic Missile (new) *Master's Touch* (removed)
Scorching Ray, Web, Knock, Resist Energy
Rage, Displacement, Chain Missile (New), Frost Lance (New) *Lightning Bolt, Fireball* (removed)
Dimension Door, Fire Shield, Crushing Despair, Icestorm *Firewall* (removed)
Eldar's Eletric Surge, Teleport, Mind Fog, Cyclonic Blast
Otto's Sphere of Dancing, Protection of Elements, Mass, Finger of Death
Otto's Irresistible Dance, Mass Charm Monster (New) *Polar Ray* (removed)
Hold Monster, Mass (New)

Gear of Note:
Goggles: Blasting +3 of Evocation +2 w/insightful +2 Spell Penetration (w/Topaz of Evocation +1) (Crafted lvl 16) Grrr.....
Chest: Frozen Tunic (Level 16) (New)

Swap: Archivist's Necklace, Ring of Invisibility (Charges x 3), Ring of Feather Falling, Silver Flame Bracers, Voice of the Master, PLiS, Ring of Water Breathing (Charges x1), Twisted Talisman, Visor of the Flesh Render Guards x 3, Shard of Xoriat
Other: Harper Pin, Lesser, Key to the City, Alabaster Lioness

AbyssalMage
01-26-2017, 11:33 AM
Well, I'm going to use this as a reflection instead of my trials and tribulations in Epic.

Overall, I am glad I did this life now. I didn't care for my Wizard (previous life) and cared for Sorcerer only slightly more. Even with gear, it felt like I was being punished later in the game (around level 14) than as a melee. Some things were considerably easier on a caster. Movement around the game is definitely easier with DD and Teleport at your disposal so early. AoE spells, as long as they are the correct type for the content, makes mass mobbings trivial.

SSG has a lot to improve on their game though.

AI for Hirelings needs to be addressed. Probably like they had to address Handwraps and do a delete and start from scratch or near scratch. In later levels, between trying to get my hireling to Resurrect (or Heal) me was frustratingly nightmarish. If they need funds, I am sure there is a market of players who would purchase permanent hirelings (possible charging a PP/15 min to prevent player abuse) so they can fund a critical area of their game.
One Shot's - In later levels, not playing in Reaper, I was taking 450+ damage in a single hit from champions (and a few Red Named). From my gear, you can tell I didn't have a perfect set of gear, but my sorcerer wasn't slouching either. Thankfully I had an easy way to become immune to MM :) No, if newer Heroic content is going to continue introducing NPC's who can do 400+ damage in Heroics, they need to address HP's for all classes. Or quit designing content with a minority of players in mind.
Combine the 4 elements into one tree. Honestly, I liked the Sorcerer Enhancements prior to the "Tree Layout" because you were really good in one element, decent in two, and didn't bother with your opposing element.
More SLA's - This was something I really enjoyed about the class. Too bad Turbine spent more time using "copy/paste" to make 4 near identical Savant Tree's instead of useful SLA's.
I used Air Savant and realized, "Why would I ever bother with any of the other ones?" Something may change once I am in Epics (I may go water) but until I got into content with heavy "Devil" type NPC's (Who all seemed naturally immune to lightning) there was no thought in ever switching to "experiment." It did take me awhile to become comfortable with Lightning Bolt but once I did, I found it superior to any use of Fire Ball. Air also gave me access to Sonic which isn't really resisted by anything in the game. This needs to be addressed too. Air Savant is just that far ahead of its peers (IMO).
Hopefully, SSG will give casters (Wizard and Sorcerer) the attention that the classes need. So much of the game changed over the year in which I started this. New content, updated champions, and gear, lots and lots of gear. Sorcerer is definitely not an easy class to fix, but is something that needs to be done. Small steps, like fixing Hireling AI (so you can get a reliable rez when you die. Because being "squishy" shouldn't be outright removed), combining the Savant Tree's, fixing the EK Tree, and adding a "true" 3rd Tree, would be a great start.