PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Healing

Maxxcore
01-13-2017, 05:26 PM
What is the most ideal form of healing for a barbarian in the epic levels? I have particular trouble in big boss fights, when there arent many trash mobs to hit for blood strength to proc. Currently running with cacoon + topaz for sp, but not sure if there is a better way.

Qhualor
01-13-2017, 05:56 PM
some people will say BS is the best, but I disagree. I know it can have good healing the better your heal amp, but mobs tend to die too fast to get good self healing especially if in a group with players that like to insta kill a lot and players with fast dps. its more beneficial solo.

I use Accelerated Metabolism on my barb and drink SF pots. the big downside to that is it slows you down for 30 seconds falling behind and you lose some dps and lowers saves.

you can also do 3x Primal past lives and take Fast Healing as a past life. equipping a Golem's Heart for a 2% chance to heal and do electric damage. there is Fast Healing you can twist from FOTW if that isn't your main destiny. Consecrated Ground, which can be good healing if you can manage to keep mobs you are fighting in that small circle, but looks to me hard to do with other players in the group.

the main thing is to boost heal amp as high as possible. if you are using Cocoon than you are either not raging losing out on defense and dps or dismissing rage a lot for heals. I don't like dismissing rages unless I have to.

Maxxcore
01-13-2017, 06:02 PM
I have 12 rages, and as I typically play EN/EH, I find that 12 is more than enough for most quests. I am not sure how to max heal amp beyond enhancements + an item, which I have. My current barbarian is currently on his first life, and is playing primarily out of FoTW, though, I actually havent thought to invest in fast healing.

Qhualor
01-13-2017, 06:35 PM
I have 12 rages, and as I typically play EN/EH, I find that 12 is more than enough for most quests. I am not sure how to max heal amp beyond enhancements + an item, which I have. My current barbarian is currently on his first life, and is playing primarily out of FoTW, though, I actually havent thought to invest in fast healing.

in that case 12 rages should be plenty if I understand the only real issue with healing is during boss fights. there is an ED that could be twisted for more heal amp, but I would rather take something else for more dps or survivability. I like to take Ephemeral Evolution from Primal Avatar as a T1 twist instead. 3x Paladin past lives gives 30% heal amp. I don't know if you plan on staying as a barbarian or do any past lives, but the more you have that is beneficial to the build the more dps and survivability you have. don't know your investment into the enhancements, but I focus on the good enhancements and try to spend points in as many of the 3 tree cores to increase heal amp which means spreading the points out to unlock those cores.

unbongwah
01-14-2017, 12:06 AM
In the long run, Consecration+Sacred Ground will be your best option for in-combat heals because (unlike SLAs such as Cocoon) you can use it mid-Rage. But if you're on a first-life barb, it's gonna be a long while before that's possible.

Apart from pumping up your heal amp and developing a Silver Flame potion dependency, other options to consider:

Consider respeccing into T5 Occult Slayer for One Spirit; the advantage being it's a big heal you can control the timing on rather than the little passive heals of Blood Strength. The downside is you can use it twice within 15 seconds and then you have to recharge your Weapon Bond again. :( Plus OS DPS is just a lot weaker than Ravager or FB; so you might gain on self-healing but take longer to finish fights, meaning you take more damage, which puts you right back where you were.
If you can, invest in gear with Vampirism and/or temp HP effects like Bodyfeeder; Vampiric Bond and I Like Pain may also be handy. Golem's Heart is a good suggestion, but you can't use it until lvl 28. I really wish Healers Bounty (http://ddowiki.com/page/Healers_Bounty) was more common...

the_one_dwarfforged
01-17-2017, 01:11 AM
i recommend sticking with blood strength, it is overwhelmingly better than the other options. its effectiveness scales off of 1) your dps 2) the frequency with which you can proc damage on enemies 3) your hamp and mp 4) your prr/dodge/concealment/ac 5) cc.

1) you heal more often the better you are at killing things
2) you heal more often the more often you deal damage. think haste boost, cleaves; barbs have quite a few cleaves they can rotate through. im pretty that every enemy hit by a cleave has a separate chance to proc blood strength, not sure about glancing blows but i think they can proc it.
3) the more you have the bigger the heals, not to mention more mp makes you better at #1
4/5) the less you get hit, the more time to heal before being killed, though % based defenses arent particularly reliable. the less damage you take when you get hit, the more time between needing to heal, and you gain more value out of every point of hp you have and heal.

not to mention you are dps and healing simultaneously, thats a pretty serious positive for blood strength which almost cant be overstated really.

the frenzy t5 by comparison only heals you for so much with a fixed rate of healing. cant knock the reliability, but its sorta just not enough and is worse against hordes of enemies than blood strength, but isnt better in other situations.

other than that, id suggest less silver flame pots. they are better than regulars because they dont hit you with the 50% slow which is a potentially life ending debuff. lessers will definitely heal you for an acceptable amount given barbs have large innate hp regardless of pastlives and gear. the stat penalty is really such a minor debuff thats its barely worth mentioning. id say it affects your umd the most, but presumably you are drinking sf pots because you are raged and cant umd anyway. as for str, the penalty to to hit isnt pretty but is an acceptable trade off, the penalty to dmg is pretty trivial and an acceptable tradeoff, and the penalty to tactics is irrelevant because a barb properly geared for max dps isnt going to win a contest of highest str or have a very high tactics mod anyway, so the hard to stun/trip stuff you werent going to anyway, and the easy stuff you are going to hit just fine regardless of the -5 penalty.

i dont really like consecrate as a twist personally, nor do i find it a compelling reason to run in dc on a melee character that is filling the primary dps or offtank role. first off, as a barbarian you dont need to slot any spp items or augments, but if you wanted to use consecration you would; thats not a wholly bad thing but its an opportunity cost. twisting consecration requires a lot of fate point and iirc 2 twist slots, which is a massive opportunity cost. being in dc is a massive and unenjoyable opportunity cost. the mana cost for consecration is pretty expensive, you cant sustain it for a significant amount of time making you dependent on shrines; lesser sf pots you can stack tons of, you can buy enough to last you through an le shroud that last a year. it doesnt have 100% uptime, and its a heal over time; since its a hot it doesnt really solve the issue of lacking a burst heal, and since presumably you are taking damage while being healed by it you arent topping off and may only be kept just barely alive leaving you vulnerable when it ends, and its cd isnt up for quite some time (generally i find that if you need consecration, consecration is not going to be enough).

adrian69
01-18-2017, 05:32 PM
What is the most ideal form of healing for a barbarian in the epic levels? I have particular trouble in big boss fights, when there arent many trash mobs to hit for blood strength to proc. Currently running with cacoon + topaz for sp, but not sure if there is a better way.

You'll get a lot of different answers. I run DC soloing and swap to LD in groups. I think of DC as sustained damage, self-suffiency, and debuffs vs. LDs Burst Damage and Tactics. It's what works for me.

Even if you have to run in US for the defense and saves, there is only what works best for you. No right, nor wrong while you are learning. Sure there are better ways of doing things when you start getting to were you solo-zerg EEs.

Barbarians are limited and heal better soloing. For big solo boss fights, like Demon Queen, I twist sacred ground+concencration, I used to buy the 130 store pots as I dislike silver flame, nor go after that 400 favor anymore with so many quests in game. However, I am fortunate enough to be able to do this. You can also trade collectables in Lord's March Plaza for the +50 pots. They should heal a barbarian with around 200 Hamp for about 450.

Another thing is check your defenses. Make sure dodge is maxed. Try to find ways to increase cap. I think when I reran barbarian a few months back I had over 20% at cap, and keep you uncanny dodge clicky up. Try getting PRR to a 100-125 and MRR as high as possible. Also, a tactic I use is to move around in circles and try flanking attacking from the rear. Melee Mob Boss hit boxes are worse than U33 Monks. You can avoid damage that way. All this can help you from having to heal yourself as much.