PDA

View Full Version : Hireling AI Customizations Don't Seem to Take Effect

DownClan
01-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Summon hireling, right-click hireling in party list, customize AI actions, dialog box pops up. Uncheck all of the attack options in both offensive and defensive lists, close the dialog with the 'x'.

In combat, observe that the hireling is still doing all of the actions that I told him not to do. Bring the AI customization dialog back up, observe that the actions have become checked.

It acts as if when I close the AI customizations dialog, that I am canceling my changes instead of accepting them.

(The particular hireling I observed this with was the 11th level Favored Soul Roshan.)

changelingamuck
01-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Last I heard, customizing the hireling AI resulted in a lot of braindead, stare into space behavior for hirelings. So, I stopped trying to use those settings.

But I do remember trying them a while back and noticing the same issue that you're noticing.

Cocomajobo
01-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Summon hireling, right-click hireling in party list, customize AI actions, dialog box pops up. Uncheck all of the attack options in both offensive and defensive lists, close the dialog with the 'x'.

In combat, observe that the hireling is still doing all of the actions that I told him not to do. Bring the AI customization dialog back up, observe that the actions have become checked.

It acts as if when I close the AI customizations dialog, that I am canceling my changes instead of accepting them.

(The particular hireling I observed this with was the 11th level Favored Soul Roshan.)

Read by QA!

LrdSlvrhnd
01-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Last I heard, customizing the hireling AI resulted in a lot of braindead, stare into space behavior for hirelings. So, I stopped trying to use those settings.

But I do remember trying them a while back and noticing the same issue that you're noticing.

Yeah, that's why I stopped bothering with that feature. That, and even when it *did* work, having to redo it *every time* I summoned the same hireling. Even if they ever get it working without lobotomizing the hireling, that's a deal-breaker for me.

Miow
01-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Hirelings don't work properly a lot of the time, not just when you play around with the settings. They will randomly stop healing and you have to click defensive/offensive/defensive to get them going again...etc.

Tarlanon
01-09-2017, 01:51 PM
Read by QA!

While you are in there Coco, can you please fix the Bard hireling AIs (all of them)? They all seem to be coded like this :

// Make sure bard stops attacking or healing during a critical part of a battle
if (partyIsSurrounded) {

play.InspireCourage();

if (bardLevel >= 15) {

// If the bard has inspire Heroics, play this too in order to further delay the response
// and really screw the player or party over

play.InspireHeroics();

}}

Please and thank you. ;)

P.S. the Bard hires with Ironskin Chant as a clicky plays a song, but it has no effect.

Wh070aa
01-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Don't touch those customization buttons. Usually Ai just breaks.

LrdSlvrhnd
01-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Hirelings don't work properly a lot of the time, not just when you play around with the settings. They will randomly stop healing and you have to click defensive/offensive/defensive to get them going again...etc.

What really gets me is when the rez button just stops working. And it's always the rez button, I've never had another ability just go non-responsive. Even cycling them through the attack modes doesn't help, just means that sometimes they'll toss the rez on their own as you go through.

cpw_acc
01-10-2017, 02:12 AM

As far as I'm aware, this has never worked. At least not for me.

I get the same effect with every hireling I've tried it on and eventually just gave up trying to use this feature (should have posted a comment on the forums, but never got around to it!).

Pyed-Pyper
01-10-2017, 03:09 AM
Read by QA!

Is this the first time QA has heard about this? The hireling customization menu is a great idea. I don't know that it has ever worked. Any change in settings does not persist. I have not seen an example of any change in settings have an effect on the hireling. I have not tested every hire, but it is certainly true for many. Additionally, often the hire will just go stupid and not move or act. Cycling through the attack/defend/stop buttons will sometimes get the hire to act.

Gratch
01-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Can they add a button for cleric/fvs hirelings?

[X] Don't move or the traps will kill you, don't melee, don't spell attack. Just sit your bum right there and heal or rez me and do nothing else. I will move you. Ye shall never move yourself. Don't MOVE.

I may have been fighting in a trap filled room recently running back and forth to the supposedly stationary hireling... He kept moving into traps. He did not stay at his flag. And he kept throwing a searing light to get his face insta-destroyed. Not sure how "defense" and "stationary" buttons confer "move around a little" and throw your terrible attacks randomly... but they do.

Cocomajobo
01-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Is this the first time QA has heard about this? The hireling customization menu is a great idea. I don't know that it has ever worked. Any change in settings does not persist. I have not seen an example of any change in settings have an effect on the hireling. I have not tested every hire, but it is certainly true for many. Additionally, often the hire will just go stupid and not move or act. Cycling through the attack/defend/stop buttons will sometimes get the hire to act.

This is not the first time hearing of it, no. We've received and investigated bug reports about this in the past. This is often the case with issues being reported on the forums, I just like to let people know they aren't simply shouting into the ether.

Pyed-Pyper
01-10-2017, 01:56 PM
This is not the first time hearing of it, no. We've received and investigated bug reports about this in the past. This is often the case with issues being reported on the forums, I just like to let people know they aren't simply shouting into the ether.

Ok. Thanks for staying engaged with the problem, and thank you for the communication.

kanordog
01-10-2017, 11:53 PM

It's been like this since the AI customization hit live.

Yeah, that's why I stopped bothering with that feature. That, and even when it *did* work, having to redo it *every time* I summoned the same hireling. Even if they ever get it working without lobotomizing the hireling, that's a deal-breaker for me.

same, I remember which one have any use which one is useless.

Aletys
01-11-2017, 04:00 AM
The AI customization has been useless for me & everyone I know since it went live. Worse, whatever was done has borked the healer hirelings. Most of them will fight first, then if they notice, they'll heal you. Usually you're dead before they notice, at which point they will sometimes raise you. That's not what most of us want.

Some hirelings who used to be excellent before customization was added (Andaro comes to mind) are now completely hopeless, and changing the customization has absolutely no effect. I no longer even call him (unless I want cannon fodder & a dungeon alert), as he'll run off and agro mobs halfway across the map, sometimes before I can even see the mob in an explorer area. He's not worth the plat spent to buy him anymore, & that's pretty sad.

And if I try setting him to passive (the only mode where he doesn't do this in), he won't obey any commands at all. Actually, many of the healer hirelings won't obey commands when placed into passive mode. This really needs to be fixed, or, if it can't be fixed, reverted back.

DownClan
01-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Can they add a button for cleric/fvs hirelings?

[X] Don't move or the traps will kill you, don't melee, don't spell attack. Just sit your bum right there and heal or rez me and do nothing else. I will move you. Ye shall never move yourself. Don't MOVE.

+1

Although it is sometimes kind of a fun puzzle just to figure out how you need to manage a hireling for a particular situation. I was doing Prison of the Planes solo and using a hireling for switches, and if you throw a switch you often end up standing in a spot where the now-activated electric field will cause you damage. So I set the hireling to passive and stand-ground in the right spot, step into the room myself, hard-target the switch and tell the hireling to flip it. The switch flips, MOB's spawn, I start fighting (perfectly happy that the hireling is still outside, safe, not healing me but that's ok) and... 5 seconds later the hireling is dead. He flipped the switch and then stood inside the damage zone, doing nothing (aka passive).

Hmmm... So I ended up doing the same thing, but immediately after flipping the switch had the hireling teleport to me, and since there were MOB's spawning I also had to flip him to defensive so he'd at least stand a chance of not getting smoodged.

Waypoints! What we need are hireling waypoints, so I can set a couple of them, and then teleport the hireling to a desired waypoint! Actually, I wouldn't mind waypoints for my own toon...

OzDrew
01-12-2017, 01:14 AM
Hireling AI has been broken so long now it has become a feature. Last time I listed all the things they do wrong since the "improvements" and called for a rollback I was basically told I was imagining it. Despite corroboration from other forumites that was the end of it and I no longer even think about using healer hires in combat, if at all.

What did make me face-palm the other day though was the top ranked hireling rogue, Iessin, Level 24, buffed up with GH, inspire competence and anything else we could throw at him, unable to find traps in EE Lords of Dust (level 23). No higher level rogue available and as far as I can tell none of the epic hires can find traps at, and often even below, level. This also has been posted about on the forums previously. Interestingly the heroic hireling rogues from the shop can find and disarm traps several levels above their own.

Anyway not really caring much about hire-healers anymore, especially in epic, as self-healing has basically reduced all builds to dps focus with very little teamwork required. The epic trappers are ridiculous though and should be an easy fix.

Oh and DownClan I've used hirelings to solo Pop numerous times and never had that problem. Try standing them just a little back from the switch; they can still reach it but will not die. Adding yet another feature to hirelings sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Kragon
01-12-2017, 05:27 AM
Read by QA!

since QA is reading the post, how about the really bad AI for the hirelings since the agro change patch?

the hirelings ignoring players, ignoring heals, ignoring reading someone.

the hirelings action bar becoming nonresposive, requiring a player to cycle active to passive once or twice to be able to actively press one of the buttons for the hirelings that cannot find the Rez button.

Baka_Ni_Naru
01-19-2017, 06:08 PM
I have generally not messed with the customization itself, but I would agree with those about the AI still frequently breaking.

I frequently see them fail when using the rest shrines. They go through the animation and become largely nonresponsive for the time, then afterword I have to command them to actually use the shrine.

The rez command does frequently break. My experience tends to be that they do it sometimes automatically, but when they do not the button is problematic. I normally have to make them passive, then click rez, then when I make them active again they will cast it.

Enemies the hireling cannot get to tend to also break the AI, such as archers on ledges.

Cleric hirelings also tend to ignore damage over time when otherwise out of combat.

Drunkendx
02-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Read by QA!

Also check hireling behavior in "memoirs of an illusory larcener".
I never got my hireling to do anything in that quest, they just stand where they are summoned, and only thing that works is summoning them to me, but they still do nothing even then.