PDA

View Full Version : The Four Elemental Sorcerers

Wonedream
12-30-2016, 08:28 AM
I have been collecting prestige toons and have all of them at lvl 20 or higher. My 4 sorcerers are all warforged at the moment. My EK is a wiz, so that prestige is still covered (he uses arch cap with EK lvl 20 cap... works well... he is and is not an EK :P). Each is slightly different then the other, but I found it frustrating to be in elemental form and no heals. And since my collectables are all theme bases on lvl 20 capstones, somehow... these sorcerers gotta make elemental form the norm.

When you make elemental form the norm.... warforged and bladeforged don't help as much. It is challenging... obviously they will all need Cacoon and anything else they can get to keep em healed. Each element form is aiming to blend for best performance based on its strengths and constraints. Here is what I am considering:

Air Savant 20
Half-Elf
Shiradi

This build does not use the dragonmark, waste of time. It does take warlock dellientte for decent fire proc to all spells. And adds this to shiradi procs.
It takes EK as secondary because it spams chain missles which go great with shiradi. This also gives for better armor, can fit in medium armor without spending feats...maybe a shield. I know this build will finish well, getting there will be almost as much fun as abusing it once it is there :P

Enhancements
Air Savant 41 (for capstone)
Eldritch Knight 23 (for medium armor)
Half Elf (14 points, spell penetration, heal amps)

Water Savant 20
Drow
Draconic Incarnation

This build takes Drow for best Charisma possible, and seeks to get DCs that allow its rays of cold to damage things. Air is secondary for an extra SLA and immunity to Knockdown. From my understanding this build can work, it has worked before.

Enhancements
Water Savant 41 (for capstone)
Air Savant 31 (for immunity to knock downs, plus extra element (gives electric and sonic both... not bad)
EK 8 (pick up light armor)

Fire Savant 20
PDK
Divine Crusader

This build focuses on casting, but picks up a little melee along the way with PDK and BAB of divine crusader tree. Not sure if it is better to dip into EK and lose the immunity to knockdowns and extra SLAs for increase in PRR. Divine Crusade for better fire crits and decent amps. The build doesnt really aim for melee, this build might actually work far better as a Morning Lord (my warforged has a +20 heart from way back) for fey tap (dropping Air and adding EK for armor). I could also drop Air and put enough into EK to give PDK medium armor, and shield proficiency. Not fully decided on race yet, but Fire Savant Divine Crusader sounds interesting to try.

last and most challenged

Earth Savant 20 (what do I do with this one... ... nothing seems to really fly... )
BladeForged
Unyielding Sentinel

This build would beef up PRR and MRR as much as possible (blade forged +12, heavy docent +20 (+40 with Tenser's up BAB doubles), +15/35 unyielding sentinel, EK +10, +25 elemental form... +83 without gear or +123 with tensers and stance and no gear. 2 feats of Shield Master could up that by 15, but I dont think its worth it. This build will still use as many spell caster feats as it can get... -1 heavy docent feat. It won't hit things for best Earth Savant dps possible. Since Acid is DoT, this toon aims to survive long enough for its acid to kill things. Being Blade Forge also gives it the option to turn back into a robot for repairing, or not. Twists: Cacoon, Dragon's Heritage, Energy Burst, Stay Frosty). This would also benefit from extra HPS, and add many nice abilities for surviving. It would alter from using metamagic with SLAs to casting lots of Acid Rain, Acid Fog, and Black Dragon Bolts coupled with defensive fighting while mobs are devoured. Not sure yet...

Of these 4 builds, the Air and Water are solid, the Fire should be alright, but I am not sure with race to choose. The Earth Savant used to be top notch, now it is top challenge... any thoughts or suggestions are always appreciated. In particular, any thoughts on making an Unyielding Sentinel Earth Savant (Acid Turtle)?

JOTMON
12-30-2016, 09:34 AM
Earth is a fail .. the worst choice of all the elements in my experience.
Forged get screwed by elemental stances, its a poor synergy no repair capabilities while in elemental stances.. you would think Earth stance would benefit the forges or allow fleshies to be repaired.. but it doesn't.

Shiradi.. meh.. wasn't of muchinterest to me..
that's more of a button mashing missle spammers..
best suited to bastardized multi-class builds that focus on spamming low cost sla's and high quantity hit spells to maximize random proc' chances..

I tend to prefer more controlled DPS.

My preference is a Drow Air focus with secondary focus fire. (tailor the secondary focus to the content you are facing)

Farwil's build is a great go to template ( he posted a Human air/cold version. that hasn't been updated for a few months, but still relevant)
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/415819-Farwind-An-Air-savant-Endgame-EE-DPS-Build

dunklezhan
12-30-2016, 10:02 AM
You're a cha-based character - its not a class skill but just in case you've overlooked it (I doubt it) or for the benefit of other readers who don't know (it happens!), do not skimp on the UMD for self heals, and use healing amp. It all helps, especially since most savants have some kind of persistent AOE you can throw up for a while.

Love the idea though. Sounds like a storming idea for a static group, maybe with a bard for backup and heals.

Wonedream
12-31-2016, 02:08 AM
Earth is a fail .. the worst choice of all the elements in my experience.
Forged get screwed by elemental stances, its a poor synergy no repair capabilities while in elemental stances.. you would think Earth stance would benefit the forges or allow fleshies to be repaired.. but it doesn't.

... ...

I agree. From what I see the best Spell Casting Options in Epic Destinies for Sorcerers are: Sharidi, Draconic, Divine Crusader, or Angel of Fury. However none of them work well with Earth Savant. ...

Since I am already mixing the first 3, Angel remains unexplored. An Angel Earth Savant... Acid Blast, Sun Bolt, Melf Arrow, Acid Touch, Avenging Light... maybe twist in better SLAs or Amps like Empyrean Magic and Energy Burst. Throw in Stormrage Stay Frosty for slowing em down a bit so the DoT can kick in more and for some Proc damage, and Main hitting power in Sun Bolt, Acid Blast, Energy Burst combo, add wings. Gotta add Cacoon, 5 Twists. Since Earth can't take Air it wont get Immunity to knock downs. Can dip into EK and Racial Trees for added sustainability and possibly bonuses.

The Idea behind the Acid Turtle is all about DoT though, which, like a Turtle... is slower but usually does more overall damage. Hit em... go into Turtle Shell, come out for a cheap attack (Special Attacks can be launched while blocking), blast em again... this one could stand in the biggest mobs and still live compared to the others. That isnt normal with Sorcerers who usually spend their time Kiting and Jumping and Zipping through the Air. It also fits into the Rocks don't move as much idea... if built right he wouldn't need to as much. Also gives immunity to knock downs on Earth Savant, in right stance. This one is about fighting them while they die on acid. A rock that is finally like a rock... with displacement and jump spells and all those other goodies!

I am thinking it comes down to one of these two for Earth Savant... the Rock gives less options for spell attacks and DPS, but with all the healing and armoring beefs... it fits into the theme and might actually work. Aiming to merge Heroic Gains into Epic Destinies isn't something to casually do unless you just wanna TR... Can the Rock withstand the test of time... or will it be eroded by hideous mobs of EE monsters no matter what it tries to do?

Wonedream
12-31-2016, 02:11 AM
You're a cha-based character - its not a class skill but just in case you've overlooked it (I doubt it) or for the benefit of other readers who don't know (it happens!), do not skimp on the UMD for self heals, and use healing amp. It all helps, especially since most savants have some kind of persistent AOE you can throw up for a while.

Love the idea though. Sounds like a storming idea for a static group, maybe with a bard for backup and heals.

Yeah, if hot keyed well, a wand can become an "endless" (never been able to burn through more then 2 in a single quest, even soloing.) source of Cure Serious Wounds with amps... they are much more $ efficient then potions, and easy to use with Sorcerer UMD :D

HastyPudding
01-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Water savant still good? I haven't played a sorc in at least a year, now, but there haven't been any major skeleton quests in a while. I loved to love water and earth savants (too bad they removed the satisfying ice crashing animation when you killed mobs with cold spells). Seems all anyone does anymore is air, which for anyone who knows me, knows I hate following the clone crowd.