PDA

View Full Version : Night Revels Challenge Closure: Hayweird Foundry

Cordovan
11-04-2016, 02:18 PM
We have closed The Night Revels challenge Hayweird Foundry due to an issue that was providing far more ingredients than intended. We apologize for the inconvenience. The Night Revels event itself will continue through Sunday, November 6th.

Casareena
11-05-2016, 06:58 AM
I love this challenge and is it right in the rumours that some players exploited something they found to gain more end rewards that is causing this to be shut down? If some players have exploited the challenge can't they be tracked and them be barred from the challenge instead of the rest of us having to miss out on a very enjoyable part of Revels?

Enderoc
11-05-2016, 08:13 AM
I love this challenge and is it right in the rumours that some players exploited something they found to gain more end rewards that is causing this to be shut down? If some players have exploited the challenge can't they be tracked and them be barred from the challenge instead of the rest of us having to miss out on a very enjoyable part of Revels?

You are going to bar people for hitting one of the runes at the same time? Why not bar the nerd who leaked the information?

Potty pants tattle tales...

We are running these quests so many times, and you have to go sticking your nose up the devs rears.

And seriously for the devs to do anything about the little extra given by this... I'd say is pretty petty. Should've shrugged your shoulders and fixed it next year.

I don't see some build bug exploits being shut down for maintanence. Should just turn off wolf form...

Eryhn
11-05-2016, 08:58 AM
You are going to bar people for hitting one of the runes at the same time? Why not bar the nerd who leaked the information?

We are running these quests so many times, and you have to go sticking your nose up the devs rears.

And seriously for the devs to do anything about the little extra given by this... I'd say is pretty petty. Should've shrugged your shoulders and fixed it next year.

I don't see some build bug exploits being shut down for maintanence. Should just turn off wolf form...

the "little extra" amounted to something like 40 mats per run in full group i think? so i dont mind them fixing it. if you couldnt get a group together that could handle the spawns at +5 lvls in group of 6 was faster to invis run solo or duo anyways.

what IS annoying about this is that we had a patch that was supposed to fix the urns in lordsmarch and the runes in hayweird almost a week ago, and those heroic fellas obviously once again DIDNT EVEN BOTHER TO CHECK IF THE FIX WORKED - the result being people exploited the **** outa this for almost a week and got their stuff done while people who didnt know about it or didnt bother with it rather doing their fast solo runs got shafted on finishing their stuff efficiently during last weekend. (cause idiotic lordsmarch takes like thrice as long for same mats and same xp)

once again, ty turbine for the REMINDER TO EXPLOIT EARLY AND WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE as if you dont you get screwed.

edit: well stupid hypocrisy, im rather angry with myself of not doing it before the fix, and more angry yet with myself for not testing it again after the fix, cause i bloody should have known ... so yeah, next time, as once again the honest man gets the short stick, guess ill do differently. this great fatalist "oh well **** it ill join the darkside" attitude being fostered by great QA, tyvm.

moomooprincess
11-05-2016, 09:47 AM
I didn't know there was a feature. Here I was getting 7 of each ingredients or whatever it was, per run. At least I ran the challenge nine times. Which I guess was 63 of each since it (7 * 9).

I just ran Lordsmarch Palace on Friday for the first time, and was not impressed with the 6 of each ingredients I was getting for the length of time it took me to run it. Which I guess was 24 since it was six of each.

Are you saying I could have somehow earned 40 of each per run? So, instead of me earning 63 * 4 = 252 total ingredients, I could have earned 360 * 4 which would have been 1,440 total.

I expect to see a lot of augments on the market then.

Tzorak
11-05-2016, 11:47 AM
We have closed The Night Revels challenge Hayweird Foundry due to an issue that was providing far more ingredients than intended. We apologize for the inconvenience. The Night Revels event itself will continue through Sunday, November 6th.

DDO should have fixed Hayweird Foundry or ended Night Revels early. There's no point in Night Revels without the quest.

C-Dog
11-05-2016, 11:59 AM
I'm mainly disappointed because I knew this one, and don't have Lordsmarch nearly as memorized. And 2 all-ingredients reward quests were not as grindy as just one.

Plus Hayweird had 2 collectables along the way, which was a nice bonus, something one of the others have.

Ver' sad.

Nonesuch2008
11-05-2016, 12:22 PM

Pretty clear that she meant those who were implicitly & intentionally exploiting the functionality of the quest mechanic. Just over two days left out of the entire run of the event before closing this one challenge down, however? I'd say the horse has already left the barn by that point. Let it ride for the remainder of the event & just have it re-tooled for next year.

Vish
11-05-2016, 12:26 PM

Too many treats and you get sick...

On another note,
Did QA Finnaly run the content?

Cleanincubus
11-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Why close it now? The exploit was shown, and explained in detail, on the Wednesday live stream over a week ago. The Lordsmarch exploit was also discussed that day, and was fixed the next week in a patch, but the Hayweird one was left unfixed and up for another week. This quest was the best one to farm for all ingredients, even without the exploit (I've solo'd it the entire event, with no hirelings or pets/no exploits.) Seems incredibly silly to close it down with just 3 days left.

Annex
11-05-2016, 01:06 PM
Wow. It took me about 20 hours of played time to make a Cloak of Night 20 for each of my ladies and I could have made them in a quarter that time if I had known about this. That is a very bitter pill to swallow, especially since I do not even enjoy the event.

Edit: My brother called and we ended up having a very interesting conversation on this topic (an event resulting in great advantage for a small group versus the entire group) as applies to games and politics. It touches upon many questions of ethics, morality, and good game design, not necessarily in immediately obvious ways.

kanordog
11-05-2016, 01:26 PM
You should find out who exploited the quest for the first time and invite them to be part of the QA team for dunno free subs.
This way these sort of things could be avoided in the future.
I also think this wasn't a good idea to take away an easy quest from those who did not exploit but spent hours and hours with these terrible key droprates just to get a few things out of the festival.

Ulfo
11-05-2016, 01:52 PM
the "little extra" amounted to something like 40 mats per run in full group i think?

18 instead 9 for full group if all have pets I'm think. 5 extra stars.

Enderoc
11-05-2016, 01:52 PM
Heck I got a few weapons with light damage, both festive augs, couple of the red augs, cloak of night to level 16 (anything higher than that was pointless) , the regalia and a mask to glamor,and still have more candy which most will be spent on consumables.

What kind of upsets me is this... The "exploit" was done with a full party who had to ring the rune doorbell all together in trick or treat fashion, it gave 4 more of each treat. Where this gets upsetting is that little bit extra was enough for them to pull the plug on it. Why?

4 more of each treat is still another 20 runs for most things. 20 runs man. TWENTY....

"Oh heck we have to do something about this, close hay weird."

Petty. Especially now everyone knows, and those that didn't before want that same opportunity.

PS- it was 11 each normal 15 for a full party at max level. Whoop de doo.

Eryhn
11-05-2016, 02:02 PM
18 instead 9 for full group if all have pets I'm think. 5 extra stars.

ok my bad i misread that then elsewhere. still ...

anyhow, i just wanna keep doing my 4.30-5.30 solo or duo runs for 9 each that was acceptably efficient XD

Syonique
11-05-2016, 07:48 PM
Oh, is THAT why Hayweird closed down? Disappointing. This is supposed to be the Monk Update, and they shut down the dungeon with a bunch of skeletons (weak to handwraps and quarterstaves) rather than the one with a bunch of zombies... :/

I was digging the 9 (11 with 30% Challenge boost) ingredients when soloing :(

A far better solution would be to find and fix the bug allowing for extra ingredients, and then re-open Hayweird and extend the event (eg. by however long it takes to implement the fix). Those cheaters who exploited probably already have more than enough candy and won't deign to repeat the event at 'normal' loot levels, while those of us who have just been doing the event normally can at least enjoy it for the originally intended period. It's not like it costs Turbine any more to extend the event a few days as a courtesy, right?

FLYTRIPPER
11-06-2016, 12:35 AM
How can you call It an Exploit when even tho it might not have been working as intended; No one told us how it was intended! First off, we were give a small window of time for night revels, and the most important thing was bugged for about a week (DRAUGHT OF MIDNIGHT) . And the actual action that got HAYWEIRD closed was exactly what we WANT and EXSPECT from our DDO players ( CURIOSITY , TESTING THE BOUNDS, EXPERIMENTING and EXC.....)

So you have all the right to close the quest, but have NO right to call anyone CHEATERS/EXPLOITERS ; When there working there butt's off to do it anyway way they find most proficient since were not given any guidelines on how to exactly run it!.

The problem is, some people are to busy complaining about other players advancing farther then themselves and Instead of trading game tips, they accuse ppl of cheating; When they should be asking for tips, and trading techniques , NOT complaining/reporting about accused cheats!..

~ DUNGEONS & DRAGONS~ is about IMAGONATION ; so don't prosecute us for our rewards!!
THE FLY

Thrudh
11-06-2016, 08:41 AM
DDO should have fixed Hayweird Foundry or ended Night Revels early. There's no point in Night Revels without the quest.

I wasn't even running it Hayweird... I ran it and Lordsmarch once each, then decided it was more efficient to just run the 4 other quests instead.

But I saw plenty of LFMs to run Hayweird multiple times in a row, which I always thought was strange... But I guess I should have known that was a sign that people could exploit it.

I wish people would stop cheating in a video game.

Thrudh
11-06-2016, 08:52 AM
It would be like the cable company charging everyone after making the mistake of releasing a pay per view fight for free.

No, it's not like that at all..

If you ran the quest normally, and it gave you extra ingredients, then it's on the devs. Just like if all you did was turn to a channel, and there was the pay-per-view fight for free. If you have to take special steps to get the extra ingredients or the fight, then you are exploiting.

It's like someone discovering that there's a bug in the pay per view software, that lets someone start to pay, but then if you reload the page using a different http query string, suddenly you get it free.

And then saying "Oh, it's the cable companies fault... I didn't actually steal anything..."

It's obvious to reasonable people when you are taking advantage of a unintended bug.

Chi_Ryu
11-06-2016, 09:08 AM
I wasn't even running it Hayweird... I ran it and Lordsmarch once each, then decided it was more efficient to just run the 4 other quests instead.

But I saw plenty of LFMs to run Hayweird multiple times in a row, which I always thought was strange... But I guess I should have known that was a sign that people could exploit it.

Even without the extra ingredients, Hayweird Foundry was the best choice for ingredients per run, and ingredients per time as it a) can be mostly ran invisible and b) gives 9 of each ingredients when run at +5 level, for a total for 36 ingredients. Lordsmarch gives 32, and the other 4 quests give only 23 (but to be fair are extremely quick to complete).

I ran the whole series 2x each at +5 level (for a total of 80 of each ingredient), but that's just because I like the first time XP from challenges, and get terribly bored of running the same quest over and over again.

As an aside, it would be silly to ban people just because their players were "counting coup" on a rune (it didn't have to be at the same time) and worked out that this was the reason why some groups were seeing 14 ingredients, and others the base 9... if I were to pass by a rune and see it was not clicked, I'd typically do the same thing and hit it anyway (unless I knew it would toggle or break the quest).

Eryhn
11-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Even without the extra ingredients, Hayweird Foundry was the best choice for ingredients per run, and ingredients per time as it a) can be mostly ran invisible and b) gives 9 of each ingredients when run at +5 level, for a total for 36 ingredients. Lordsmarch gives 32, and the other 4 quests give only 23 (but to be fair are extremely quick to complete).

this. ran my main toons through each once for xp, then farmed only hayweird without the exploit for 9 mats each per run, solo run in 4.30-5.30mins.

RapkintheRanger
11-06-2016, 12:33 PM
the "little extra" amounted to something like 40 mats per run in full group i think? so i dont mind them fixing it. if you couldnt get a group together that could handle the spawns at +5 lvls in group of 6 was faster to invis run solo or duo anyways.

what IS annoying about this is that we had a patch that was supposed to fix the urns in lordsmarch and the runes in hayweird almost a week ago, and those heroic fellas obviously once again DIDNT EVEN BOTHER TO CHECK IF THE FIX WORKED - the result being people exploited the **** outa this for almost a week and got their stuff done while people who didnt know about it or didnt bother with it rather doing their fast solo runs got shafted on finishing their stuff efficiently during last weekend. (cause idiotic lordsmarch takes like thrice as long for same mats and same xp)

once again, ty turbine for the REMINDER TO EXPLOIT EARLY AND WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE as if you dont you get screwed.

edit: well stupid hypocrisy, im rather angry with myself of not doing it before the fix, and more angry yet with myself for not testing it again after the fix, cause i bloody should have known ... so yeah, next time, as once again the honest man gets the short stick, guess ill do differently. this great fatalist "oh well **** it ill join the darkside" attitude being fostered by great QA, tyvm.

I ran it solo after farming keys... like a chump

Thrudh
11-06-2016, 04:42 PM
this. ran my main toons through each once for xp, then farmed only hayweird without the exploit for 9 mats each per run, solo run in 4.30-5.30mins.

I ran other 4 getting 20 mats each at 2-3 minutes a run, so about the same time for the same number of ingredients, and I got to run four different quests instead of the same one, over and over and over.

Eryhn
11-06-2016, 05:38 PM
I ran other 4 getting 20 mats each at 2-3 minutes a run, so about the same time for the same number of ingredients, and I got to run four different quests instead of the same one, over and over and over.

yes, but key farming is what i dislike more. guess its subjective XD

Uthar
11-06-2016, 06:04 PM

Thanks for nothing. I have lost 5 keys to lag kill as well as a Siberys cake. you shut down Mabar because because of all the lag. you have solved nothing

Thrudh
11-06-2016, 07:50 PM
yes, but key farming is what i dislike more. guess its subjective XD

Oh yeah key farming isn't much fun after the first hour or two, so I just bought most of my keys off the Shard Exchange... Only spent 40 AS or so for 30 keys... Got my last 10 tonight for 5 AS. :)

zehnvhex
11-07-2016, 02:03 AM
So the moral of the story kids is exploit early and exploit often.

Sylvado
11-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Typical entitlement generation replies. You found an exploit and are upset that you could no longer abuse it. Why be concerned about the shutdown other than the exploit? The single candy runs provide a better return over time anyway. Also, why be concerned about the draught, the ratio of chocolate to candy was too high as it was, I ended up with 75 deathward pots because of the ratio.

Annex
11-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Typical entitlement generation replies. You found an exploit and are upset that you could no longer abuse it.

A great deal of research demonstrates the existence of an inherent doctrine of 'fairness' in primates. For example, in a very simple experiment with bonobo chimpanzees, arbitrarily giving a 'treat' to one monkey in a group will create 'displeasure' in the other monkeys--they find arbitrary preferential treatment unfair and will complain about it! Without some inherent system to judge 'fairness', gregariousness does not work as an evolutionary strategy.

Your assertion is partially correct. The problem is not the existence of the exploit or who used it, it is the arbitrary, preferential treatment afforded to a very small number of individuals versus the entire group. One could fix the problem by informing all members of the exploit and letting it run (all members may participate), shutting down the exploit and removing all extra rewards from those who acquired them (no members may participate), 'punishing' players who exploit (exploiting incurs a high opportunity cost making it unattractive to most members), and so forth. In other words, people are not upset specifically because they could not exploit, they are unset because their inherent doctrine of 'fairness' was violated. I hope that makes sense. :)

These incidents of exploits and player reaction would make an excellent research subject in behavioral science!

Why be concerned about the shutdown other than the exploit? The single candy runs provide a better return over time anyway.

I have read claims in both directions but was unable to test the exploit myself. I based my original response on information provided by other players. If testing revealed some other game strategy worked better than the exploit, that better strategy would essentially nullify the exploit and my response would change. I am sure the response of other players would also change. Right now, we are really in a 'he said; she said' discussion because we simply have no solid data.

Also, why be concerned about the draught, the ratio of chocolate to candy was too high as it was, I ended up with 75 deathward pots because of the ratio.

I cannot speak for anyone else but I also found chocolates almost useless. I bought 200 Party ****er potions (because I am too lazy to turn on goggles) and about 100 Sun Flasks (I had to buy something) that will now rot in storage.

Sylvado
11-07-2016, 12:49 PM
I have read claims in both directions but was unable to test the exploit myself. I based my original response on information provided by other players. If testing revealed some other game strategy worked better than the exploit, that better strategy would essentially nullify the exploit and my response would change. I am sure the response of other players would also change. Right now, we are really in a 'he said; she said' discussion because we simply have no solid data.

I didn't mean compared to the exploit. I meant the complaint about shutting it down for all. I do not accept that players believed it was working as intended. So if you felt the long quests were a better time investment then you still had a long quest. To me the single candy quests were a better time investment. Of course that may be biased because I soloed the quests and maybe in a group the long quests were better.

Eryhn
11-07-2016, 12:59 PM
I didn't mean compared to the exploit. I meant the complaint about shutting it down for all. I do not accept that players believed it was working as intended. So if you felt the long quests were a better time investment then you still had a long quest. To me the single candy quests were a better time investment. Of course that may be biased because I soloed the quests and maybe in a group the long quests were better.

did you even read all posts in here? some people prefered to zerg hayweird +5 levels non exploit. if you can do math and can do speedrun it was better mat per min and key then single mat challenges. sry you can do neither.

also sry to hear that next year the drops will have to be adjusted for everybody cause some genius doesn't know what to do with his chocolates. kinda funny you dare speak of entitlement issues, lol. love people with your frame of mind, they are cute.

cute is short for a string of words not covered by forum TOS*

Mglaxix
11-07-2016, 01:06 PM
The single candy runs provide a better return over time anyway.

As I recall single candy runs dropped 23 ingredients multi candy runs dropped 9

So simple math here determines 10 keys on each single run will net you 230 ingredients each those same 40 keys used in mutli candy runs would net you 360 ingredients each. That is nearly 60% increase so how could single candy runs be a better investment of my time, keys, or effort.

Sylvado
11-07-2016, 04:00 PM
did you even read all posts in here? some people prefered to zerg hayweird +5 levels non exploit. if you can do math and can do speedrun it was better mat per min and key then single mat challenges. sry you can do neither.

also sry to hear that next year the drops will have to be adjusted for everybody cause some genius doesn't know what to do with his chocolates. kinda funny you dare speak of entitlement issues, lol. love people with your frame of mind, they are cute.

cute is short for a string of words not covered by forum TOS*

No need to be polite with me son.

I don't zerg anything. I prefer to play the quest, every breakable and so on, btw the breakables payed well in those quests. As for the chocolate, that was a reference to the draught not working, why would anyone pay for it anyway.

Eryhn
11-07-2016, 04:25 PM
No need to be polite with me "son".
oh but there is. one should always try equally return the kindness one is shown by ones elders;)*

* as in, insinuating everybody complaining here must have been exploiting and has entitlement issues, "grandpa" ...