PDA

View Full Version : Do something with the drop rate for solo players

Kalixton
10-16-2016, 02:57 PM
DDO needs to find a better system for determining item drops rates from end chests. I spend most of my time running solo and the drop rate for normal setting is an insult for completing some of these quests without a group. At least put an optional item in the end reward for completing so many runs. It seems to work for Dreaming Dark. It almost seems like a punishment for not being social player. I don't even want to think about how many loot boosts and astral shards i have used up only to be disappointed again.

Enoach
10-16-2016, 03:31 PM
This is an interesting view on the drop rate.

I personally was under the impression that the drop rates were not effected by the number of players but by the difficulty setting.

Now mind you that multiple players all having their own independent drop chance would seem to make it look like the drop rate is higher for groups. The advantage is that people who don't need things that drop are generally up for giving the item away to others in the group.

Of course running a quest solo means giving up that option.
---------------
Now you seem to allude to the completion system that was added to many quests/raids that give you an other opportunity to grab something that didn't yet drop based on your chances. In general I like the system to a point. It needs to be set up well so as to not make the system to easy (few runs) vs not easy (too many runs) to meet the requirement for the additional drop chance.
--------------
I've been playing DDO for a long time and I think the best advice I can give someone is that there is no need to rush to get any particular item in DDO. Be it a rare drop, raid item or crafting item. Either you will eventually get it by simply running the content, something better comes along or you will never see it. I've been lucky to get what I'm after in a single run and have had the luck where even after 120+ raid completions still don't have the item I was hunting. So for me I have found it to be more fun to simply play the game and let the rest fall as it may.

Kalixton
10-17-2016, 09:19 AM
My point was that the drop rate is set by level played on an not number of people. What a single person completes at on a normal setting may be just as difficult if not harder than a group of 6 on elite. This is what needs to be taken into consideration. I have seen some of the percentages for drop rates by level and a 5% drop for normal as opposed to a 25% drop for elite makes things very difficult.

Enoach
10-17-2016, 09:32 AM
My point was that the drop rate is set by level played on an not number of people. What a single person completes at on a normal setting may be just as difficult if not harder than a group of 6 on elite. This is what needs to be taken into consideration. I have seen some of the percentages for drop rates by level and a 5% drop for normal as opposed to a 25% drop for elite makes things very difficult.

If we didn't have scaling I would agree with you. Since scaling is something to factor (even though it is not perfect) I'm going to stick with my initial "everyone has the same drop percent" therefore solo is not less of a chance for an individual person. However, I do agree that in a group the chances of getting an item someone doesn't want is increased. But this is not based on a factor of drop rate as it is still not a guarantee that the item will be available.

I understand that people don't always want to run in a group, some choose never to run in a group. But I don't agree that chances to drop should be adjusted simply because someone wants to run the game a particular way. I don't want any incentive to run quests that caters to a playstyle. This is why I think the drop percent each person has is the fairest method.

Loromir
10-17-2016, 09:38 AM

Just In case you didn't know...dungeons difficulty scales up as more people enter a dungeon (Even Hirelings). To check this for yourself, go into a dungeon solo and spend a little time soloing the trash mobs. Then ask for one player to step in (Not join the fight, just step in the entrance)...see those mobs become more difficult to kill and hit you harder. Then ask more people to step in...eventually you might start dying to those same mobs you were killing easily.

Eryhn
10-17-2016, 09:50 AM
as far as i know there is nothing whatsoever granting more drops to groups in the game.

while it is true that running in group, the chance to get a specific item you want passed from somebody else is higher, at the same time, as a solo player that is capable vs a capable player in a fully scaled group of 4-6 people of differing strength, you already can farm your item faster solo elite at level as the dungeon scaling already favors you.

yes, in a loot pug you may crush the content fast, assign the drops to who wants them, do 3 quick reruns, everybody happy and more efficient than 10 solo runs. but in a loot pug you may also run into that dude that doesnt know where people invis on the lootrun, and then cause you are a nice guy you go back for that soulstone at the start of quest and aggro much more stuff than ideally needed, and then you end up spending thrice as long for one group run then you would have taken solo on the right toon ...

i understand people who sometimes feel like running solitary, i do so myself on occasion depending on my mood.

i do NOT understand, nor care to try understand people who never group expecting an mmo to cater to their specific needs. these should go play single player games. period.

Annex
10-17-2016, 05:34 PM
I play solo 99%+ of the time using two accounts and very much understand your plight.

Without the resources of a powerful Guild for Guild Buffs, friends and Guild members to pass you equipment, and seasoned players to help you over hurdles, this game becomes immensely harder. Yes, you may very well have greater difficulty completing a quest on Normal difficulty than another person with deep resources, a powerful build, and extensive game knowledge running on Elite. Unfortunately, no game, anywhere, contains an algorithm with enough sophistication to reliably establish the true difficulty of a task relative to the player and then hand out appropriate awards. Instead, you get the same solutions again and again that pay the highest rewards to those who best stack the deck in their favor. One could argue that stacking the deck is the real game in the game.

As a solo player it gets better. I promise. :) As you slowly accumulate Past Life Feats you will also accumulate better equipment in a very natural and organic way. Those rare items do, eventually, drop. You will learn tricks that speed up dungeons--the right weapons to use against monsters with damage reduction; when to use invisibility; when to fight and when to run; where all the traps lie; shortcuts; what optional encounters waste time. Those things will come together and tasks now hard will slowly become easier and easier. This game actually includes an excellent system of progression if you have the patience to play through it.

Do not give up. If a given item will not drop find a temporary substitute. Give Cannith Challenges a try. Pay heed to Festivals. Scoop up Anniversary perks. Watch the Auction House like a hawk. Level Cannith Crafting. All will allow you to get over hurdles if you have the patience.

I used to lament that I was the only person in the entire game actually running Hard Mode. Now my lady thief and lady wizard each have 8 Epic Past Life Feats, much better equipment, and run through quests much more quickly. No, they cannot crush everything like first life Warlocks but I no longer struggle. Some of those rare items did, eventually, drop. You will get there, too. :)