PDA

View Full Version : Order of Syncletica: Update 33's Monk Changes

TeacherSyn
10-10-2016, 10:00 AM
The players who know me have peppered me with questions about the planned changes to the Monk items and enhancements announced by Cordovan last week for Update 33. Brave thing to do, Cordovan--but thank you for doing that.

For the TL;DR crowd: Two out of three tree and fundamental changes to unarmed fighting aren't bad. But the bad is really disappointing, and that's in regards to the Henshin Mystic. While the Shintao changes thankfully turn it slightly away from a one-trick tree for Earth Stance users only, some of the changes in terms of theme are weird, although acceptable. And my fears of changing the nearly perfect Ninja Spy tree were unfounded--in fact, the changes make a great thing greater.

>>For more detailed analysis, here's my take. (https://orderofsyncletica.wordpress.com/2016/10/10/update-33-beta-seen-it-still-working-on-believing/)

Cordovan
10-10-2016, 11:30 AM
I'm hoping you get the opportunity to check this out on Lamannia. Thanks for the feedback.

Ziindarax
10-10-2016, 12:27 PM
The players who know me have peppered me with questions about the planned changes to the Monk items and enhancements announced by Cordovan last week for Update 33. Brave thing to do, Cordovan--but thank you for doing that.

For the TL;DR crowd: Two out of three tree and fundamental changes to unarmed fighting aren't bad. But the bad is really disappointing, and that's in regards to the Henshin Mystic. While the Shintao changes thankfully turn it slightly away from a one-trick tree for Earth Stance users only, some of the changes in terms of theme are weird, although acceptable. And my fears of changing the nearly perfect Ninja Spy tree were unfounded--in fact, the changes make a great thing greater.

>>For more detailed analysis, here's my take. (https://orderofsyncletica.wordpress.com/2016/10/10/update-33-beta-seen-it-still-working-on-believing/)

TeacherSyn, having read your article, I have a few things I'd like to point out:

1) Ninja T5 boosts your critical threat range, rather than your critical hit modifier (which would be the amount of damage you deal in a critical). The Level 20 capstone boosts the critical hit modifier (damage). (I say this only because I found the verbiage a little confusing here and there).

2) Quick Draw does benefit weapons, but it's also being buffed so that you can actually attack faster after casting a spell or spell-like ability. Presumably, this would mean (for example) that if you had a warlock that used the Eldritch Burst or Spirit Blast abilities, and then tried to use a regular attack immediately afterwards, you would not suffer that irritating delay between the SLA and your regular melee/ranged attack. Instead, you get to attack instantly. Just to answer the question posed in your article as to how Quick Draw would benefit a Henshin Mystic.

HastyPudding
10-10-2016, 02:30 PM
TeacherSyn, having read your article, I have a few things I'd like to point out:

1) Ninja T5 boosts your critical threat range, rather than your critical hit modifier (which would be the amount of damage you deal in a critical). The Level 20 capstone boosts the critical hit modifier (damage). (I say this only because I found the verbiage a little confusing here and there).

2) Quick Draw does benefit weapons, but it's also being buffed so that you can actually attack faster after casting a spell or spell-like ability. Presumably, this would mean (for example) that if you had a warlock that used the Eldritch Burst or Spirit Blast abilities, and then tried to use a regular attack immediately afterwards, you would not suffer that irritating delay between the SLA and your regular melee/ranged attack. Instead, you get to attack instantly. Just to answer the question posed in your article as to how Quick Draw would benefit a Henshin Mystic.

I suppose the quick draw thing makes sense, then, since henshin will undoubtedly be constantly switching between attacking with a staff and blowing out fire breath, ki bolts, and healing ki rather rapidly. I wonder if it is only in effect if you have a staff equipped. This would be useful to shuriken monks (no longer need to take the feat for attack speed) and unarmed monks that use healing ki a lot (I know mine does).

TeacherSyn
10-10-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm hoping you get the opportunity to check this out on Lamannia. Thanks for the feedback.

You're welcome, and thanks as always to you and the team for keeping things interesting. I guess I should update my Lam client. :)

Thanks for that clarification. Since I was transcribing Cordovan's notes, I was sure I would mess something up. I'll correct that soon.

HuneyMunster
10-11-2016, 07:11 AM

"while the Dodge cap, Concentration boosting Ability requires more commitment in Ninja Spy as it moves up to tier 2."

Did you mean Agility enhancement 3 concentration, 3 reflex, 3 max dodge? If so this is already tier 2.

TeacherSyn
10-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Did you mean Agility enhancement 3 concentration, 3 reflex, 3 max dodge? If so this is already tier 2.

I had looked at that note over and over with tired eyes late at night. You're likely right, thank you.