PDA

View Full Version : Casually playing DDO - unsure which class to choose from

Wolfmind
10-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Hi players of DDO!

Over the years I've played DDO off and on but never got into the game that much as I was playing another MMO. I've since left the other game and would like to focus and hopefully enjoy a character and the whole game experience that DDO offers. I'm a big HeroQuest fan. I really enjoy the whole running dungeons finding traps, gold and monsters thing!

I've been looking through the wiki and a couple of guides but still am unsure as to which class to play. I'm looking for something that won't require a lot of rotations and a class that hopefully is easy to understand. The last one I tried was a Paladin.

When it comes to servers? Which might best suit my time zone? I'm from the UK. Is there one that will be better for me? I have an active character on LOTRO, which is based on the Evernight server. I love the style of LOTRO and would like to have an active character on DDO too.

Class wise, I like both ranged and caster types and would be more than happy to try out a melee class too.

I have no other higher level classes so everything will be done from level 1. I don't mind this as I would like to start learning the game and how everything works. It will also allow me to play at my own pace and enjoy the sights!

Thank you

Sunnie
10-01-2016, 09:14 AM
My suggestion is a rogue mechanic then, either repeating crossbows or great crossbows will do. You get repeater proficiency from the Mechanic enhancement tree and don't need to spend feats on it, you can focus on intelligence so finding and disabling traps won't be an issue, damage is pretty good.

Wolfmind
10-01-2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks,

How is the Paladin? That's the last one I played. My knowledge of the classes in DDO is almost zero. I guess something with a healing ability might be a good idea.

Mr_Helmet
10-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Thanks,

How is the Paladin? That's the last one I played. My knowledge of the classes in DDO is almost zero. I guess something with a healing ability might be a good idea.

Very good, not OP but still very good.

Wolfmind
10-01-2016, 09:38 AM
I'm looking through http://ddowiki.com/page/Newbie_guide/Classes_and_races at the moment and still can't decide! Think I'll give the Paladin another go and see how I get on. :)

Oh and which server should I go with please?

Ballyspringer
10-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Pally isn't a bad way to go, honestly personally to get into DDO more and enjoy it I'd go for barbarian due to it's ease of use, survivability, and it needs almost no gear to do well so it's very getting into the game friendly - although you said you really enjoy traps and whatnot, which a barbarian absolutely does not do.

You could do something like a 2 rogue 18 fvs (if you have access to favored soul, you're not a new player so might but not sure) is a great starting toon especially if you go melee with it instead of trying to be a full time caster - they can do traps (be sure to take a level of rogue as your first one for more skill points) and you can do a lot of self healing and will have evasion with 2 rogue (so if you do stumble upon a hidden trap you don't die). It's not an "uber OP" toon or build, but I think it's a great set-up to learn and enjoy the game while being useful for any group you join and able to solo a lot of stuff.

two weapon fighting is good but takes more feats to do well in, using a greatsword instead free's up a lot of space

As for server i'm not sure what would be best for UK - I know on my server of Orion we have a number of UK players but I have no clue how that stacks up with others sorry.

Wolfmind
10-01-2016, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the reply/help,

I've just been reading up on the Barbarian and think I'll give one of those a try. :)

Stoner81
10-01-2016, 10:34 AM
UK players are spread all over the servers, there is myself and Fran on Cannith and a few others (maybe) but beyond that I have no idea to be honest.

Stoner81.

old-school
10-01-2016, 10:41 AM
I'm looking through http://ddowiki.com/page/Newbie_guide/Classes_and_races at the moment and still can't decide! Think I'll give the Paladin another go and see how I get on. :)

Oh and which server should I go with please?

The Silver Legion on the Cannith Server has quite a few UK members, including our Leader. We are recruiting so please give us a look. Check out www.guildmedieval.com for more info or you can just PM me.

Also, if you are looking for a class to play Warlock for the win all day long.

Wolfmind
10-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Thank you all for the replies,

I'm trying out a Barbarian on the Sarlona server. I'll post back here later with my progress! :)

Saekee
10-01-2016, 11:22 AM
I suggest you check out builds from this repository:
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/470423-Build-Repository?highlight=repository

moomooprincess
10-01-2016, 11:44 AM
When Codemasters went Kaput, european players had a situation

Some of them agreed to go to the Thelanis Server by their own choice. The rest were all forced to go to Ghallanda by Turbine's choice. Turbine never let it be known that they were going to force the rest of European players to Ghallanda.

Europeans are on all servers though. If you are good with German, Wayfinder. Just about all players are in one guild on Wayfinder.

A paladin is not very good with traps. Read, TERRIBLE. You cannot hire a rogue unless you love spending real money so you can have Turbine Points.

I like the idea of the Rogue Mechanic with repeaters. You can buy clerics with platinum.

I want to recommend a Ranger/Rogue with a dwarf. Dwarves are not good as rogues, but you only need an OK rogue to do 98% of the traps in the game. Dwarves get some nice buffs when you choose Iron Stomach and with Ranger you get Multishot and combined with a vorpal longbow or shortbow, can be fun at low levels. You can buy clerics with platinum.

Enjoy the game. if you do choose Thelanis or Ghallanda I can help you out with some starter loot.

Tscheuss
10-01-2016, 11:55 AM
Whichever class you go with, I suggest not using the predefined paths in creation. You can build better by going custom. Take a moment to plan it out, or use one of the builds on the forum (EllisDee has some fun ones). :)

Wolfmind
10-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Thank you very much.

I've bookmarked the Build Repository page and have joined the /joinchannel help

Everyone has been very helpful so far! The community reminds me of LOTRO - nice people willing to help.

marinerfan
10-01-2016, 11:33 PM
May also want to look into bards. I think they are fairly easy to figure out and are both useful and hard to kill. Could go pure bard, or 18 bard/2 rogue if you want to chase after traps

Wolfmind
10-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Hi again,

I've just got another quick question.

Which would be of the most benefit to me? Going VIP (currently premium) or getting the Shadowfell Conspiracy expansion? I already own the Menace of the Underdark. Is there ever a time when the expansion will go on sale?

I guess the expansions are mostly offering content later?

Thanks.

EllisDee37
10-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Which would be of the most benefit to me? Going VIP (currently premium) or getting the Shadowfell Conspiracy expansion? I already own the Menace of the Underdark. Is there ever a time when the expansion will go on sale?Both VIP and Shadowfell, ideally.

Shadowfell usually goes on sale during Black Friday sales the weekend after (American) Thanksgiving, so figure November 29th-December 1st. In the meantime, Menace of the Underdark + VIP will give you more than enough to do. (You'll have access to 95% of the game.)

EDIT: The Black Friday sales for the expansion packs are usually 75% off, but one year I think it was only 50% off. Still, hard to beat those sales, so I'd wait until Black Friday even if there's a 25% off sale on Shadowfell between now and then.

Wolfmind
10-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Both VIP and Shadowfell, ideally.

Shadowfell usually goes on sale during Black Friday sales the weekend after (American) Thanksgiving, so figure November 29th-December 1st. In the meantime, Menace of the Underdark + VIP will give you more than enough to do. (You'll have access to 95% of the game.)

EDIT: The Black Friday sales for the expansion packs are usually 75% off, but one year I think it was only 50% off. Still, hard to beat those sales, so I'd wait until Black Friday even if there's a 25% off sale on Shadowfell between now and then.

Ah thanks for the info.

Think I'll wait for the sale to start and then pick it up and go with the VIP.

Tscheuss
10-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Ah thanks for the info.

Think I'll wait for the sale to start and then pick it up and go with the VIP.

There is also sometimes a VIP sale that gives 15 months for the price of 12. :)

Wolfmind
10-02-2016, 12:18 PM
I'm having in issue with a quest called 'Have a Meal' from the The Wavecrest Tavern. The quest tells me to browse the wares of the NPC, which I do but nothing happens after that. I've purchased food and drink from her but still nothing. Any ideas?

Tscheuss
10-02-2016, 01:10 PM
I'm having in issue with a quest called 'Have a Meal' from the The Wavecrest Tavern. The quest tells me to browse the wares of the NPC, which I do but nothing happens after that. I've purchased food and drink from her but still nothing. Any ideas?

I am not so sure that is a quest so much as a tip to show you where to get HP and SP replenished fast. Once upon a time, characters left a completed dungeon with all the damage they had at the end. Now it just happens on a fail (usually). I did recently have a poison effect that persisted after finishing out of Feast or Famine and yet again through the use of a rest shrine. XD

However, long gone are the days of XP debt and blind people begging mercy from random clerics.

ETA: Oh, right. Ideas... just go on about your business. There is no XP to be had. :)

Wolfmind
10-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Thanks,

I was wondering because the quest is stuck in my log and I'm unable to remove it as its not repeatable. I've submitted a bug report for it as I wasn't sure if the quest was working correctly.

After doing a search, I found a thread from 2013 related to the same quest https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/407569-Cannot-complete-quot-Have-a-Meal-quot-quest

Tscheuss
10-02-2016, 02:09 PM
Thanks,

I was wondering because the quest is stuck in my log and I'm unable to remove it as its not repeatable. I've submitted a bug report for it as I wasn't sure if the quest was working correctly.

After doing a search, I found a thread from 2013 related to the same quest https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/407569-Cannot-complete-quot-Have-a-Meal-quot-quest

Always good to submit a bug report when something bugs out. :)

The important part succeeded, though. You know about food and drink, now. A little trick that some people use for a fast recovery is to run casual Haverdasher or Bringing the Light. A fast, successful completion of any quest will leave you with max HP and SP, and those are very fast.

Wolfmind
10-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Today I reached level 3 and have been completing the slayer kill quests around the island. :)

Tscheuss
10-02-2016, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Today I reached level 3 and have been completing the slayer kill quests around the island. :)

Congratulations on reaching level 3. Are you having fun? That is the important part. :)

Saekee
10-02-2016, 05:46 PM
Thanks,

you are not supposed to admit to having to do that quest

moomooprincess
10-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Yes, quests and adventure packs go on sale. DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE UNTIL MARCH if you can wait that long. The quest. ad pack just might go on sale. Not to mention, there are 25% and 30% sales quite frequently.

Especially during the Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas times. February is the 11th Birthday Month. Basically, from the end of October through the end of March, you should wait to see what is on sale.

They won't have the extra freebies such as the Onyx Panther Hireling which was offered back when I pre-ordered, but they might go on sale at 75% off.

Last year, Vault of the Artificers, Menace of the Underdark, and Shadowfell all were on sale at 75% off.

Dig through that forum and you can actually find the dates.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/233-DDO-Store-Sales-amp-Promotions

waryJerry
10-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Before you go about designing your ideal build you ought to ask yourself the simple question: are you more likely to group up or are you more likely to solo? If you're mainly going to run with others you can afford to be a delicate flower, say a spellcaster who can kill and kill and kill so long as someone is looking after him. If, on the other hand, you prefer running solo you're going to want something more survivable--though you can go a long way just by knowing how to use your hireling cleric. I'm sure a lot of people solo as pure spellcasters and do it well but if you're new to the game this might be quite difficult. For what it's worth paladins and paladin hybrids strike me as a good choice for survivability.

Wolfmind
10-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Congratulations on reaching level 3. Are you having fun? That is the important part. :)

Yeah its good. The community in the help channel have been good with answering the questions I've had.

I'll hang on until there's a sale/discount going before I get the other expansion.

The barbarian I'm playing seems to be doing okay. Even though its low level content, I've not run into any issues so far.

Thanks again.

C-Dog
10-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Iirc (and it's been a while), that "quest" wants to you buy some cheap food/drink from the barkeep and consume it to heal you up. Since the cost is insignificant, you might want to go back and try one of each of the cheapest - can't hurt?

And, yeah, you're VIP now, you'll have plenty of Free content to keep you busy for a while, np there. A good rule is don't spend ~any~ TP unless there's a sale! (Esp not on Drow - they're free by the time you hit Lvl 7 or so!)

The barbarian I'm playing seems to be doing okay. Even though its low level content, I've not run into any issues so far.

Well, at lower levels, a 16 Str Wizard w/ a great axe can run most of the content okay. DDO is not D&D - it's usually a mistake for any new player to try to design a character themself, so make sure you're following a good, fully planned and publicly vetted build. The EllisDee's Build Repository (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/470423-Build-Repository?p=5759353&viewfull=1#post5759353) is a solid place to start, but so are these:

o Kent's custom Character Builds (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/453843-Kent-s-custom-Character-Builds?p=5504615&viewfull=1#post5504615)
o Request a Build, Get a Build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/117232-Request-a-Build-Get-a-Build?p=1287726&viewfull=1#post1287726)

You may have to dig a bit, but if you're looking for something less ordinary, it's there.

Also, any (updated!*) post by Ungbongwah (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/479300-Revisiting-the-Classics-the-Axesinger-for-New-Players?p=5879115&viewfull=1#post5879115), another recognized master builder (check his sig for links).

And lots of others, too:
o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/469213-quot-Strimtom-s-Acid-Arrow-quot-Maximum-Bow-DPS-F2P-new-player-Friendly?p=5746404&viewfull=1#post5746404

(* One can find a LOT of old, outdated posts on these boards, by any number of authors. Check the date, make double sure!)

Lastly, before you level up too much, and especially if you're soloing, you might want to take a (validated!) Trapper variation of whatever you're running. Start w/ 1 Level of Rogue (or Artificer?), and build from there. Depending on your playstyle, missing out on those locked doors and chests can be frustrating (and it's as much as +30% more xp by completing those objectives!).

Welcome, and have fun!

Bart_D
10-06-2016, 05:00 AM
[...] it's usually a mistake for any new player to try to design a character themself [...]Well... I think that depends on what the purpose is.
If the purpose is to have fun, learn the game and see what works and what doesn't, I think any character will work, whether self-designed or following a guide. If the purpose for that character is to be strong and reach level 20/30 in a comfortable manner, a new player can certainly get a lot of help from build-threads such as those linked above.

C-Dog
10-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Well... I think that depends on what the purpose is...

So, if the purpose is solely to experiment and not worry if you make mistakes... then, yes, it isn't a mistake, I'll readily agree with that. But that would not be "usual", would it? ;)

I ran a 1st-life, 28 point, 16 Str Wiz w/ a Graxe and Cleave thru Korthos (to see if it was true that would work) - it (mostly) did, and well into The Harbor. But it would have been a mistake to think he could have made it to mid-levels, despite having "fun" before... oh, about Level 5. (Phew, light a match!) :rolleyes:

decease
10-09-2016, 07:30 AM
there are some class to be avoided

1) any and all DC caster- DC caster are really really hard to play unless you have the best of gear, ability tome, past life. because if you don't you will not be able to do anything...

2) tank- do not expect to tank in this game unless you have very good equipment. the requirement to be tanky is insanely hard by my standard. many hour required to put into it before you could successfully intimidate boss and hold agro.

p.s. if you like range/caster you might want to try Arcane Archer, Artificer or Warlock.. imo artificer is the best at soloing, since they can open lock and disable trap. Arcane archer on the other hand can have very good healing ability(you only need to be elf/helf to have access to the tree.. so a pure 20 fvs devote to silverflame can be arcane archer. i have one of these) Beside these, you could also try monk, then thousand star build used to be decent.. (not sure now since i haven't been playing for a while)

Armatone
10-14-2016, 05:56 PM

For some strange reason I have only seen that one become completed if you die and are resurrected. It has no XP or Fav so isn't really that important other than to show you how to replenish XP & SP with Tavern food. Hope that helps.

Another one you will come across that doesn't complete is when you complete Misery's Peak and head to Stormreach.

Oh, and this is off topic and should have been started as a new thread.