PDA

View Full Version : Random Scaled Effects

Nuclear_Elvis
09-12-2016, 08:41 AM
As some of you have seen, I'm a big critic of the New Loot System we've had for over 9 months now. However, I suggest the loot system be recoded to do the following:

- Scale all processing effects to the wield level of the weapon, with variable Difficulty Checks (DCs) based on that wield level.

What do I mean by this? Take Paralyzing, as just one example. There is not an "Improved" version in the current game, there is only one Paralyzing effect with a single DC check. The game and its players would be better served with a variable Paralyzing effect based on wield level. Whatever the lowest wield level is for Paralyzing to occur, an appropriate DC should be established, with a scaled up DC for increasing the wield level of the item so that the effect is still capable of processing appropriately even as high as level 30 (and it could be debated what that "appropriate" success rate is at Normal/Hard/Elite difficulty). To be clear, I am not suggesting that the effect "grows with the character" - rather, that the effect scales up to the wield level of the looted item and is then "locked in" as an effect and the resultant DC. So, it is randomized up until the point that the loot appears in the chest but is then a permanent effect as read and coded into the item.

But this post is not just about Paralyzing, it's about any effect that is locked in to a single processing DC instead of being randomized and scaled.

"Draining" is another consideration to contrast here, as it is simply pathetic as an effect on weapons, as is "Cursespewing." Draining in particular, only yields a measly 2 x Spell Points even when found in progressively higher wield weapons. Draining should scale upwards based on its wield level, so that it makes a noticeable impact to caster characters using it to spare their SP. Cursespewing should have a greater damage over time effect for higher wields, perhaps in both the damage amount and/or the length of time the damage takes effect.

Simply put, there is a 'project' here that if the Dev's take it on, would greatly enhance the loot system and it could greatly impact and improve crafting those same effects that are in the recipes (I am not pushing for Para to be craftable, only scalable, as that is a separate argument in itself).

RD2play
09-12-2016, 09:50 AM
I agree with you!

Paralyzing, or any DC effect should scale with ML of the item. I have proposed in the past that it should be something like Base+ML+Enchantment the base could be the variable for the scaling aspect. So you would get something like 5-20 (paralyzing, improved, epic) then the ML and the enchantment, tho currently the enchantment is also determined by the ML of the item. (maybe mastercraft could get one higher not sure).

example: ML10 paralyzing -> 5-10 + 4 + 10 = 19-24 DC, for ML30 -> 15-20 + 14 + 30 = 59-64 DC, (this would mean from a level 40 chest you could potentially get 20 + 15 + 40 = 75 DC as the max) which would bring the effect into a useful range for the level you pull the item. Of course the devs are free to tune these numbers, but the general idea is to change the effects from being only useful across a small section of levels, and after that basically being only 1roll fishing, to something you might want to look at even at higher levels.

This also holds for other non-DC effects you mentioned. It would be great if they stayed a viable choice on higher level items. Like vampirism should progressively yield more healing, and draining more SP.

bsquishwizzy
09-12-2016, 11:52 AM
You know, this would be better done with augments. As it stands right now, we already have rubies that scale their damage to the level of the wielder. So to me more consistent in the game, they should probably go this route.

I agree with you in principle. I think the implementation would cause all sorts of havoc because once you start with special effects, you might as well apply the same principle on damage effects as well. I am NOT a fan how they do it now given that Vorpal drops from levels 1 - 20, but there are two stronger Vorpal effects from levels 21 - 30. Seems outta whack to me.

Maybe create tiers I, II, III, IV, and maybe V? I for 8 - 15, II, for 14 - 20, III for 19 - 25, and IV for 18 - 30? Then V as an extremely rare drop (almost no-fail on the effect)?

Nuclear_Elvis
09-13-2016, 01:06 AM
"Feeding" effect is yet another, and could be changed in both of its results. Instead of just one negative level applied to the target, it could scale up to multiple negative levels, and the +5 HP could scale upward to give much more temporary health on a Vorpal hit.

Selvera
09-13-2016, 01:53 AM
While I agree that effects like paralyzing should scale with level, I just wanted to point out that "Improved Paralyzing" Does exist in the current game. Paralyzing has a DC of 17 and is found on items such as the Envenomed Blade (ML 16 to use). Improved Paralyzing on the other hand, has a DC of 25 and is found on certain items like the Epic Envenomed Blade (ML 20 to use). However, this is where it stops, and I haven't seen any weapons with "Greater Paralyzing" with a DC of over 32 or whatever anywhere, and given the saves of creatures in epic elite, you'd pretty much need something with a higher DC to have a chance of the weapon working.

GeoffWatson
09-13-2016, 03:41 AM
"Feeding" effect is yet another, and could be changed in both of its results. Instead of just one negative level applied to the target, it could scale up to multiple negative levels, and the +5 HP could scale upward to give much more temporary health on a Vorpal hit.

Feeding and Draining used to scale, giving more HP or SP, but the loot update stuffed it up. Keen as well.

Nuclear_Elvis
09-14-2016, 09:07 PM
Feeding and Draining used to scale, giving more HP or SP, but the loot update stuffed it up. Keen as well.

Does anyone know what the old scaling was for those? The prior amounts should be tabled for reference.