PDA

View Full Version : DDOCast Needs Ideas!

pjstechie
09-02-2016, 08:24 PM
As part of regular DDOCast shows I have regular bits that are greatly enhanced by help from our listeners or really anyone who plays DDO! I am looking for more input from players with these segments to help keep them going! Here's what I'm looking for:

Tips: Short pieces of advice for new and old players alike. These can be broad or very specific (ex: "Have Fun" "Collectibles can be turned in for [insert reward]"

Questions: These are questions our guests answer on the show. Sometimes they are silly, sometimes they are people looking for help with their builds or questing. NOTE: these are not questions for Devs as they are not typically on the show outside of Ask the Devs shows.

Debate Topics: These can be framed as questions but really the idea is to promote interesting discussions around current topics in DDO. These work better if they are multiple choice and highly subjective or have multiple good answers. Its not about getting the question right, but about the discussion. Some past debate topics have been: "Rework a feat" "Pitch Enhancement Trees/Destinies/Races" "What adventure pack is a must buy?"

Round Table Topics: These are lengthier (about half the show) topics that we go in depth with and really look to dive into. These have been everything from gear to build to update reviews to pugging to making plat.

If you have any ideas you would like to put forth please either PM me or leave it here in this thread. I'm always looking for more ideas for the show!

Thanks for listening and thanks for being part of DDOCast!

Edit: please leave a name (any name referring to you) and server for quoting purposes (if you want)

karatemack
09-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Here's a few ideas off the top of my head:

Debate Topics

Does DDO embrace equality of the genders, or does it reinforce the misogyny typically found in the gaming industry?
Caster, Ranged or Melee? Which is truly king of DPS? (DC casting included)
Which is better; quests with immersive story lines, or quests which provide the most challenge to complete?
Premium or VIP... which is the best deal for the consumer?
Ottos Boxes... P2W or valid exchange of $ for time in a game which is PvE?
Champions... or not to Champion?

Round Table Discussions

Best raid in the game? And why?
Looking ahead... which class/race would have the biggest impact on DDO gameplay?
How to build/run a successful guild.
Pugs vs Static Groups/ Benefits and Detriments of Each
Top 5 best and worst changes ever implemented in DDO.
Are raid nights more fun sober... or drunk???
Should expansion of DDO be outward (quests/raids/races/classes) or upwards (new levels/feats/abilities) or both? Why?
Should there be server merges?
Impact cheating has had on DDO and ways the DEV team can prevent it/deal with it in the future.
What are the current top performing builds?

UurlockYgmeov
09-02-2016, 09:59 PM
hold on air treasure hunt....

go catch the top 10 most wanted updates on the wiki. :P

Qhualor
09-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Question: how do you figure out how many points to invest in for your MDB? How do you know you spent too many points or not enough?

Debate: thoughts on adding collectible dispensers in quests. how will these dispensers affect your usual game play experience?

Round Table: the pitfall of grind. how it can overtake the fun aspect of playing a game.

Steve_Howe
09-02-2016, 11:13 PM
Does DDO embrace equality of the genders, or does it reinforce the misogyny typically found in the gaming industry?

Trying to get back into someone's good Graces, huh?

karatemack
09-02-2016, 11:32 PM
Trying to get back into someone's good Graces, huh?

LOL. I see what you did there. No, just trying to think of things which could be debated and which might be entertaining to listen to.

That said... once Grace and Gawna forced me to sit through a panel on "White Knights and Allies of the Female Gamer" at PAX. Fun times were had by all (not really).

Jetrule
09-03-2016, 03:41 AM
Building a Shiradi dps caster. Good options for gear, spells, twists and classes.

Strong solo builds

Gear to keep gear to sell gear to crunch.

Melee tips and tricks. Maxing dps and surviving heavy hitters and hordes.

Best top end raid groups for small parties. Party composition and play styles.

Flavor builds that can hang and contribute.

Saekee
09-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Class choices from the perspective of the racial trees--e.g. suppose you are an elf--what is your best class synergy? Some players actually start with race not class from a pnp/flavor perspective.

silinteresting
09-03-2016, 09:30 AM
hi ddocast,

after watching dozens and dozens and dozens of your shows id like to make a suggestion that will
probably differ from the norm here and that's id like to see you open up your guest list from the usual
suspects. as said before from watching so many of your shows i can now from your content list virtually
guess or no what your guests are going to say before they even say a word. occasionally they will offer
a nugget that makes me sit up and take note but im afraid its getting rare. by adding more guests your
opening show up to more diverse idea's (hopefully) and perspectives. i also no this is harder to do than
get a topic list but im sure im not the only one who thinks the above will add to your show.

your friend sil :)

Cordovan
09-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Having contributing input makes everything run so much easier. :) Best of luck in your endeavor.

Aelonwy
09-03-2016, 03:22 PM
If you have any ideas you would like to put forth please either PM me or leave it here in this thread. I'm always looking for more ideas for the show!

Questions/Topics:
How could the racial trees be improved without vastly adding to powercreep?
Do people still want racial prestige trees? If so what should they be?
What do people want to see in an Artificier Epic Destiny? Warlock Epic Destiny?
3 classes remain without 3 trees, how would the players like to see these classes finished?
What would people like for the next newest cosmetic pet? (Hint my answer would be Faery Dragon)
How would you like to see the Droaam Story Arch finished? (Assuming both Heroic and Epic level quests)
Do you have a favorite heroic quest that you would like to see revisited? Either made epic, with a new story, continued story or all of the above?
If you could add one quest to Korthos, what would it be like? (Personally, I would add a quest similar (but smaller in scope) to Into the Deep where we get to battle the Sauhaugin in their underwater stronghold because I feel that would be the most impressive and intriguing to new players.)

Yep. That's all I've got off the top of my head.

Nachomammashouse
09-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Here's a few ideas off the top of my head:

Debate Topics

Wow that is an awesome out of the box suggestion, very nice! Gender topics and multiculturalism were a focus in my philosophy program, so this one is right up my alley.

I love your whole list, I hope Patrick will have me on as a guest for some of then :D

Tlorrd
09-03-2016, 10:44 PM
I also agree with the above ... have a few new guests other than the standard ones you have to keep perspectives fresh.

Debate Topic:

How to update Turn Undead? Wis based vs Cha based vs high CRs in epics.

Should all tier 5 AOE caster SLAs have have same/similar spell point cost, cool down, and damage?
- Fireball/Acid Blast 6sp, 6sec cooldown, 1d3+3 damage vs Flame Strike 20sp, 12sec cooldown, 1d3+1d3 damage vs Spirit Blast 0sp, 5sec cooldown, 10d6+EB damage

Question:
How to effectively use Energy Drain/Enervate to get maximum dps and/or DC benefit before it stops doing damage (which happens)?

How to effectively use Castigation (again if it works) to get most out of 25% health reduction before it hits too much of the diminishing returns.

Ghwyn
09-04-2016, 07:40 AM
Read the forums. There are many ideas already being discussed. Expand on those.

Jeoffree
09-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Your show is perfect to help advocate for one of DDOs trending topics #bearstyle. Haredye for Druid animal form! While every class can glamor and customize their look, druids in animal form can not change their appearance in the slightest. We druid players need haredye for our animals, we need Thundering Seafoam Green Bears and Mabaar Black Wolves. Actually, I don't care about wolves but seems fair. If your show could help advocate Haredye I know the druid community would listen intently as a thankyou. Please advocate Haredye for druids, pretty please. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

#bearstyle

pjstechie
09-04-2016, 10:09 AM

this was something I had explored in the past but those involved came to a consensus that there would be little benefit compared to the risks involved with such a topic

if there was enough interest i would consider pursuing it again

IntrepidBear
09-04-2016, 10:21 AM
I'd like to toss on the table a topic;

" Giving Warforged Race some Love "

For a race that is built 'for battle', they have been nerfed bigtime,
lets get some ideas on how to rebuild them to fight again. ;)

pjstechie
09-04-2016, 04:34 PM
hi ddocast,

after watching dozens and dozens and dozens of your shows id like to make a suggestion that will
probably differ from the norm here and that's id like to see you open up your guest list from the usual
suspects. as said before from watching so many of your shows i can now from your content list virtually
guess or no what your guests are going to say before they even say a word. occasionally they will offer
a nugget that makes me sit up and take note but im afraid its getting rare. by adding more guests your
opening show up to more diverse idea's (hopefully) and perspectives. i also no this is harder to do than
get a topic list but im sure im not the only one who thinks the above will add to your show.

your friend sil :)

Here's the thing with guests

I dont make it a big point to go searching for guests, I don't want people to do it unless they are excited to do it. Occasionally I've asked folks and its worked out, but the guests you hear consistently are the ones that came to me and have an interest in being a part of the show, for which I am grateful. Also, I frankly lack the time to do extensive guest searching.

so in all seriousness, and only half intending to be snarky: Know anyone who wants to be on the show?

pjstechie
09-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Read the forums. There are many ideas already being discussed. Expand on those.

I dont have time to read all of the forums, I try to glance through them as I am able, but time is not an infinite resource, hence the crowd sourcing.

also, I want to be talking about what the listeners want to hear about, which is not always the same

LordDunmore
09-04-2016, 05:45 PM
What would it take to get Turbine to make the decision to put the effort into a major update of ONLY bug fixes. NO new content. Nothing but fixing bugs?

Wh070aa
09-05-2016, 12:38 AM
I would like to have topic about kiting for different attack shape s, and play styles. Melee cleaves, IPS, Cones, fireballs, traps, blade barrier Different jump amounts, wings, movement speeds, invisibility kiting, exc. Preferably advice how to do it in a party with different playstyles, without annoying pother people.

A lot of people could use advice on how to kite mobs in single line, or gather them up for trap/fireball, or effectively use glancing blows without taking too much damage.

Maybe A topic on tumble tricks (like tumble ranged reloda animations), and other animation breakers, like walking over certain spots on maps for extra attack speed with high tumble and no featherfall item (hope you don't take insane fall damage(tumble kinda fixes that) of fall out of the map tho lol).

Sam-u-r-eye
09-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Discuss and review in a non-partisan way the "viral" threads on the mobos. Topic could be called, "What's trending?" No need to get into some of the more rude posts.

---
E.x.,

"Elite is not Elite. Legendary is not Legendary. Hard is not Hard."
"Make Champions Optional"
"Devs: Ranged Combat and Fury Eternal. What's the final word on it"
"I have played many games ..."

Enderoc
09-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Whenever someone mentions misogyny in video games the first thought that comes to mind... Poor creature ashamed of its own flesh which taking neither pride or expressing any desire in its sexuality given to it as a gift but instead, given to the fear of indoctrinations made to curb population growth.

Of course imposing your will on another in disregard to their person is the classification of evil, but merely celebrating ones own sexuality is certainly no crime

Innocence in this regard is actually an instillment of both ignorance and fear.

Grandern_Marn
09-05-2016, 11:36 AM
For Round Table Topics: How about looking at different packs/quest chains on a whole?

Some could be looked at in one show such as Gianthold or Sands of Menechtarun and others could be looked at in groups like The Path of Inspiration and The Dreaming Dark.

You could look at:
- Storylines in lore
- Favorite/least favorite quests
- How the chain has stood the test of time
- Essential, still useful, used to be useful or useless loot
- Neglected or rarely run quests in the pack
- Easter eggs
- Further discussions on thoughts on the pack, do people do the pack in 2 attacks or all in one go etc etc

dunklezhan
09-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Name: Tsorte (pronounce it how you like), Thieves' Guild on Argonnesen.

Tips:

1. If you don't want to subscribe, save your free TP that you get from favour and make sure you spend it only on things that do not automatically get given to you the instant you spend any real money to buy TP. Your first TP purchase is to a certain extent the best value one you're ever going to make unless you get lucky and your first weekend is a triple points bonus or something (or some very specific sales).

2. While you're at it, make sure you check what comes at each level of character total favour before you do things like buy bag or bank space - the favour for those tends to come at a relatively low level anyway. Don't consider buying more bag/bank space until you have unlocked at least the first level of each for free. And that's expensive, so if you're going to do that, the shared bank is a much better first investment. Put up with running back and forth to the trader.

3. If you have to ditch stuff, make sure its things like arrows and gems or ammunition or be sure its really trash loot, and if in doubt just check the plat values first.

4. Don't ditch collectibles - seriously. There's a cannith crafting update coming and a good number of those collectibles are going to keep you in coin if you're starting out. There's a free bag available when you reach stormreach. Get it, and when you have enough plat to visit House P and buy a bigger one, do that.

5. If you genuinely intend to grind out the whole game for free on favour: I recommend researching adventure packs before anything else, and very good luck with it all regardless - fingers crossed! I hope you're being realistic with yourself!

6. Before you get, or if you can't get the UMD for teleport scrolls, take a bit of time to find your way around, and work out the shortest routes between zones. Sometimes is faster to run through the gate to House Deneith, from a guild ship , or through the stormreach teleporter depending on where you are right now, and where in the target district you want to go. The same can be said for many other districts, such as House Jorasco. Some have NPCs who can teleport you too. There's not much need to spend lots of time running in DDO to get started with a quest or explorer area. Dont' be a sucker, be lazy and figure out the shortest distances.

Questions:

What wipe do you regret least? Why?

Debate Topics:

With regard to "Tip" 6 above:

What's your "favorite" speed route between locations, which locations, and why? What are the ones every new player who maybe doesn't have access to a guildship should know (other than find yourself a guild, Thieves Guild on Argo are recruiting shameless plug)?

Round Table Topics:

Pick a class. Pick the class you personally think is the exact opposite of that one. Got them in mind...? Yes...? Good

Now... using that first class, build the most effective version of the second class you can - you can go to L30 and include EDs, and you can have any race you like but your colleagues can dock you points if you go too munchkin. Scoring system is however up to you :p

Grosbeak07
09-05-2016, 04:42 PM
What would it take to get Turbine to make the decision to put the effort into a major update of ONLY bug fixes. NO new content. Nothing but fixing bugs?

Will never, ever happen. I don't know why people keep asking for this. They need to make money and new content = money.

As for suggestions, sometimes less is more. Maybe when things are a bit slow, cut back on a show or two until there is enough information to actually talk about, rather then rehash 10 years of gameplay.

Enoach
09-05-2016, 07:42 PM
How about a discussion on Raids...

1. History of
2. Preparation
3. Tactics (Full and Shortman), includes what to do when the group is optimal and how to overcome a challenge when all you have is a spoon and duck tape.

Maybe a segment on being a Party Leader
1. What is expected/Responsibility of
2. How to attract a group
3. Discussion on In Progress vs Waiting to start

I also think you really need to have another round of discussion about Classes especially all of them that have changed so far.

I know most people don't know me from Adam but I would be up to being a guest for discussion groups.

Edwardt
09-06-2016, 05:18 AM

I like that idea, too.

While talking so much about raids and leading them, maybe the question how to choose and develop new raid leaders might be interesting.
Seems pretty simple at first glance, but it might be more complex when you take a closer look at the task.

Sam-u-r-eye
09-06-2016, 08:49 AM

Let's keep this off our forums for various reasons.

@Edwardt. Lordy man, one of the top 2 guilds is led by a woman. They gravitate to more social settings unlike some of the man-children who solo with overinflated egos.

Zebedar
09-06-2016, 06:03 PM
As part of regular DDOCast shows I have regular bits that are greatly enhanced by help from our listeners or really anyone who plays DDO! I am looking for more input from players with these segments to help keep them going! Here's what I'm looking for:

Tips: Short pieces of advice for new and old players alike. These can be broad or very specific (ex: "Have Fun" "Collectibles can be turned in for [insert reward]"

Questions: These are questions our guests answer on the show. Sometimes they are silly, sometimes they are people looking for help with their builds or questing. NOTE: these are not questions for Devs as they are not typically on the show outside of Ask the Devs shows.

Debate Topics: These can be framed as questions but really the idea is to promote interesting discussions around current topics in DDO. These work better if they are multiple choice and highly subjective or have multiple good answers. Its not about getting the question right, but about the discussion. Some past debate topics have been: "Rework a feat" "Pitch Enhancement Trees/Destinies/Races" "What adventure pack is a must buy?"

Round Table Topics: These are lengthier (about half the show) topics that we go in depth with and really look to dive into. These have been everything from gear to build to update reviews to pugging to making plat.

Edit: please leave a name (any name referring to you) and server for quoting purposes (if you want)

I think it would be good if the DDOcast did a bit more to keep the developers accountable. I'm not suggesting anything like harsh doombots mind you but use the access you have to highlight the fact that customers both support DDO and expect more from Turbine. Instead of giving visiting devs a carte blanche during segments, it would be nice to see (hear) real interaction where they are questioned about new content plans, as well as asked about long standing issues that impact the game.

Edwardt
09-07-2016, 08:32 AM
Let's keep this off our forums for various reasons.

@Edwardt. Lordy man, one of the top 2 guilds is led by a woman. They gravitate to more social settings unlike some of the man-children who solo with overinflated egos.

Yes, that's why I think it might be an interesting topic.
This thread is not about discussion, it's about gathering topics. Also it doesn't mean the ideas should be taken over to the cast in it's raw form.
Something like this kind of topic is pretty much timeless, because it doesn't change with the next update and if you work out the details of the idea it might get some potential for a nice conversation.

GoldyGopher
09-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Expansions are handled very differently in other games, which style or format of expansion would work best in DDO?
Which Adventure Pack would greatly benefit from a revisit/rework?
What one system do you think needs to be reworked?
Should the Monetary System of DDO get a pass?

The Devs and player base don't always see eye to eye. What is one situation where the Devs are right and players wrong AND one situation where the player base are right and the devs are wrong?

MerryOldSoul
09-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Dragonmarks in general for feats today and to bless a chest or not.
What trees in racial need a rework.
Epic vs heroic vs iconic TR's.
Best twists of fate for new players.
Highlight a guild and bring part of them on to discuss something.
How to bring in new players.
Sever consolidate or not.
What you spend your TP on, what you wished you spent your TP on.
Glammering, something cool you have found, could have submissions for this.
Raid nights and the fun you have had, best raid to PUG, one you enjoy most with group of friends.
Loot you are still after.
Should all loot for epic 20, scroll, seal, shard have a three for one turn in to get the one you really wanted?
Challenges and what you would like to see in future?
Next classic setting or module you would like to see?
Will the Seahawks win the Superbowl?

zehnvhex
09-10-2016, 02:11 AM
Yes, that's why I think it might be an interesting topic.

It isn't. It's been done to death and is utterly boring at this point. If you want to try to cause your brain to hemorrhage then go ahead and spend a day reading SRS and KIA on Reddit. The topic, as posed, is horrifyingly loaded anyways. You might as well say "Cordovan, you don't hate women like the rest of the gaming industry does do you?" It's flame bating at best. DDO is a shining example of how nobody in the gaming industry gives a rats patootie about your gender. Let's try to keep it that way. Thanks.

Will never, ever happen. I don't know why people keep asking for this. They need to make money and new content = money.

The problem with that sentiment is that new content may sell, but polished content retains. You don't think Blizzard has managed to keep their playerbase because of their glacial release cycle do you? They keep them because nearly everything they do is almost meticulously bug light. You load up DDO and are greeted with string table errors and, mismatched item/spell descriptions, +0 bonuses on items, etc...etc...and it just looks sloppy. Which is a shame because DDO's content knocks pretty much everything else out of the water.

My suggestion for topics:

- Does every dungeon need a boss monster?
- What can be done to make VIP worth it again?
-

Vish
09-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Patrick,

I would like to see a session on elite rAiding groups.

On their makeup, and tactics.
And lots of stories.

I mean the best of the best players,
maybe a guild could be invited to talk

Or those who have solo'd shroud and duo DOJ.
Some insights from that crowd.

Thanks,
Vish