PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul: Angel of Vengeance

HastyPudding
08-04-2016, 11:41 AM
Soooo, with favored soul revamps on the horizon, I thought I'd give a crack at the angel tree.

1. There was a severe lack of spell-like abilities. All other caster trees had some, but FVS was completely lacking.

2. There was a slight lack in power, so I added more spell critical damage to the cores, a spellpower multi-selector in tier 1, and some spell critical chance here and there.

3. FVS capstone has always been a nice little SLA, but the rest of it was very lackluster. I changed them up, keeping mostly the same SLA's, but making others more relevant and useful, boosted the skill bonuses, and gave an additional passive effect.

*New stuff or changes in red.

CORE 1 : Font of Power
For each action point spent in this tree, you gain +1 Universal Spellpower and +2 spell points.
*NEW* For each Angel of Vengeance core you possess, you gain a +5% bonus to spell critical damage.

CORE 2 : Shield of Condemnation
Toggle: Enemies that strike you have a chance of suffering divine condemnation for 20 seconds, increasing their vulnerability to light and alignment-based damage by 10%, and decreasing their fortification by 10%. This debuff stacks up to 5 times, and is dispelled by Bless effects. Cooldown: 1 second.
Passive: Your deity's favored weapon is considered a spellcasting implement in your hands.
*Switched 'Articles of Faith' from tier 2 to core 2*

CORE 3 : Aura of Menace
Toggle: You project a 15 meter Aura of Menace, decreasing the saving throws, attack, and armor class of nearby enemies by 1 for every Angel of Vengeance core you possess. Cooldown: 1 second
*Increased the penalty based on the amount of cores you have.*

CORE 4 : Summon Archon
Toggle: Spell like ability: A small lantern archon hovers over your shoulder and attacks nearby enemies. This archon is indestructible, deals 1 to 3 + caster level light damage every 2 seconds, and uses half of your Light Spell Power and Spell Critical effects for its light beam attacks. The archon will only attack enemies that have already been damaged, and will not attack fascinated or mesmerized foes, and always attacks the enemy with the fewest hit points in range. All threat generated by the archon is applied to you. Cost: 20 spell points. Cooldown: 6 second.
*NO CHANGES*

CORE 5 : Fire Storm
Spell-like Ability: Deals 1d3+3 fire damage per caster level for targets in the storm area. (cost: 25 spell points, cooldown: 12 seconds)
*moved 'vengeful magic' to tier 5*

CAPSTONE : Ascendancy
You gain +2 charisma and one of the following (SLA's cost no spell points):
Bolt of the Sun : +5 diplomacy and spellcraft, +2 wisdom, +15 light spellpower, and a 'sun bolt' spell-like-ability (requires Favored of Amaunator)
Healing Word : +5 diplomacy and heal, +2 additional charisma, +100 spell points, and a 'cure moderate wounds' spell-like ability (requires Favored of the Sovereign Host)
Light of the Flame : +5 balance and spellcraft, +2 wisdom, +3% spell critical chance, and a 'searing light' spell-like ability (requires Favored of the Silver Flame)
Protection of the Lord of Blades : +5 intimidate and repair, +2 constitution, +15 repair spellpower, and a 'divine favor' spell-like ability (requires Favored of the Lord of Blades)
Stealth of the Hunter : +5 hide and move silently, +2 dexterity, +3% dodge and maximum dodge, and an 'invisibility' spell-like ability (requires Favored of Vulkoor)
Voice of the Deathless : +5 spot and heal, +2 wisdom, +2 necromancy spell DC's, and a 'halt undead' spell-like ability (requires Favored of the Undying Court)
*SLA's have been changed to more useful/appropriate spells and skill bonuses have been increased and made more relevant*

TIER 1
Spellpower (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 1)
Multiselector, pick one:
Brimstone: +4/+7/+10 force and fire spellpower
Purity: +4/+7/+10 light and positive energy spellpower
*NEW*

Scourge (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 1)
Whenever you cast a Fire, Force, Light, or Physical damage spell, you gain +3 to your Fire, Force, Light, or Physical Spellpower for 6 seconds. On being damaged, you have a 25%/50%/75% chance to gain one stack. Scourge can stack up to 3/6/10 times.
*Combined with Animus to make one enhancement*

Smiting (Ranks: 1, AP cost: 2)
Your Fire, Force, Light, and Physical damage spells have an additional 2% chance to critically hit.
*NO CHANGES*

Angelic Resistance (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 1)
You gain +1/+2/+3 to all saving throws against magic.
*NO CHANGES*

Inquisition (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 1)
+1/+2/+3 Concentration, Intimidate, and Will Saves vs Fear.
*NO CHANGES*

TIER 2
Spell-like Ability: Deific Vengeance (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 1)
The divine power of an angry deity imposes a punishment in the form of a sharp, spiritual blow to the target, dealing 1d3+3 points of good damage per 2 caster levels (Maximum damage 5d3+15.), or 1d3+3 points of good damage per caster level (Maximum damage 10d3+30.) if the target is Undead. A successful Will save reduces this damage by half. (cost: 6/5/4 spell points, cooldown: 8/6/4 seconds)
*NEW*

Just Reward (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 1)
When you critically hit with a Fire, Force, Light, or Physical damage spell, you gain a 5/10/15 sacred bonus temporary spell points.
*Changed to 5/10/15 from 3/6/10.*

Efficient Metamagic (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 2)
Choose one Metamagic feat to improve. Reduce the spell point cost of using that Metamagic.
*NO CHANGES*

Smiting (Ranks: 1, AP cost: 2)(requires Smiting, tier 1)
Your Fire, Force, Light, and Physical damage spells have an additional 2% chance to critically hit.
*NO CHANGES*

Articles of Faith (Ranks: 1, AP cost: 2)
*REMOVED, given to core 2*

Spell Power Boost (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 1)
Activate to gain a +10/+20/+30 Action Boost bonus to Spellpower for 20/20/30 seconds. Cooldown: 30 seconds. (Action boost, 5 uses per rest)
*NO CHANGES*

TIER 3
Wand and Scroll Mastery (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 1)
+[25/50/75]% effectiveness of your wands, scrolls and other items that cast spells
*NO CHANGES*

Efficient Metamagic (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 2)(requires Efficient Metamagic, tier 2)
Choose another Metamagic feats. Reduce the spell point cost of using that Metamagic.
*NO CHANGES*

Smiting (Ranks: 1, AP cost: 2)(requires Smiting, tier 2)
*NO CHANGES*

Spell Penetration (Ranks: 1, AP cost: 2)
You add +1 to you Caster Level check to overcome an enemy's Spell Resistance.
*NO CHANGES*

Charisma or Wisdom (Ranks: 1, AP cost: 2)
Choose one:
+1 Wisdom
+1 Charisma
*NO CHANGES*

TIER 4
Crown of Retribution (Ranks: 1, AP cost: 2)
Toggle: You remove your Shield of Condemnation from yourself and transfer it to an ally. The Shield of Condemnation manifests itself on them while they remain within the area of your Aura of Menace. Enemies that strike your ally while this is active take 2d10 points of light damage from your divine wrath and their attacks inflict an additional 1d12 light damage. This ability can only target another player or a hireling, or a monster which you have personally summoned. Cooldown: 15 seconds.
*Added light damage to the target's attacks and changed the guard from 1d8+1 to 2d10*

Efficient Heighten (Ranks: 2, AP cost: 2)(requires Efficient Metamagic, tier 3)
Using the Heighten Spell Metamagic costs you 1/2 less Spell Points per heightened level.
*NO CHANGES*

Smiting (Ranks: 1, AP cost: 2)(requires Smiting, tier 3)
*NO CHANGES*

Intense Faith (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 1)
Your Fire, Force, Light, and Physical damage spells are cast at +1/+2/+3 caster level.
*reduced AP cost to 1*

Charisma or Wisdom (Ranks: 1, AP cost: 2)
Choose one:
+1 Wisdom
+1 Charisma
*NO CHANGES*

TIER 5
Spell-like Ability: Cometfall (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 1)
You conjure a bright, glowing comet, which appears in midair above your target, then strikes the ground with tremendous force. This area of effect spell does 2d3+6 points of bludgeon damage for every 2 caster levels. A successful Reflex save reduces the damage by half. The force of this comet can knock some creatures prone. Another successful Reflex save negates the knockdown portion. (cost: 45/40/35 spell points, cooldown: 15/13/11 seconds)
*NEW*

Vengeful Magic (Ranks: 1, AP cost: 2)
You gain a +1% Sacred bonus to Spell Critical chance when below 75% health, a +1 Sacred bonus to your spell DC's when below 50% health, and a +50% Sacred bonus Spell Critical Damage Multiplier with Fire, Force, Light, and Physical damage spells when below 25% health.
Rework:
Below 100% health : +3% spell critical chance for light, fire, force, and physical spells
Below 75% health : +2 spell DC's
Below 50% health : +3 spell penetration
Below 25% health : +50% spell critical damage with light, fire, force, and physical spells
*Reworked and moved from core 5*

Unstoppable Magic (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 1)
Enemies within your Aura of Menace suffer a -1/-2/-3 penalty to Spell Resistance and a -4/-7/-10 penalty to magic resistance rating.
*added magic resistance rating penalty*

Piercing Magic (Ranks: 1, AP cost: 3)
You have trained extensively in conjuration and evocation magic, granting a +2 bonus to your spell DCs of those schools.
*Boosted the DC bonus to +2, added conjuration, and changed AP cost from 2 to 3*

Zealous Faith (Ranks: 3, AP cost: 1)(requires Intense Faith, tier 4)
The maximum caster level of your Fire, Force, Light, and Physical damage spells are increased by 1/2/3.
*NO CHANGES*

Vish
08-05-2016, 04:35 AM
Looks like a good pass.

I like core6 multi. Favoring the gods diversity.
I would like see same for warpriest pass.

Like brimstone. Goes with henshin.

slarden
08-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Nice ideas.

I don't think just reward itself should be increased. Perhaps the capstone can improve just reward instead.

SealedInSong
08-09-2016, 07:20 PM
Vengeful magic should be scrapped and retooled completely. Offensive bonuses that work with low/lowered HP basically do nothing in DDO. When they do anything, it's for a few seconds before the foolish character thinking they can run a glass cannon gets casually killed by a 2k swipe on legendary normal.

Soooo, with favored soul revamps on the horizon, I thought I'd give a crack at the angel tree.

SNIP

Vengeful Magic (Ranks: 1, AP cost: 2)
You gain a +1% Sacred bonus to Spell Critical chance when below 75% health, a +1 Sacred bonus to your spell DC's when below 50% health, and a +50% Sacred bonus Spell Critical Damage Multiplier with Fire, Force, Light, and Physical damage spells when below 25% health.
Rework:
Below 100% health : +3% spell critical chance for light, fire, force, and physical spells
Below 75% health : +2 spell DC's
Below 50% health : +3 spell penetration
Below 25% health : +50% spell critical damage with light, fire, force, and physical spells
*Reworked and moved from core 5*

FranOhmsford
08-09-2016, 08:27 PM
*New stuff or changes in red.

CORE 1 : Font of Power
For each action point spent in this tree, you gain +1 Universal Spellpower and +2 spell points.
*NEW* For each Angel of Vengeance core you possess, you gain a +5% bonus to spell critical damage.

For each action point spent in this tree, you gain +3 Universal Spellpower and +15 spell points.

CORE 2 : Shield of Condemnation
Toggle: Enemies that strike you have a chance of suffering divine condemnation for 20 seconds, increasing their vulnerability to light and alignment-based damage by 10%, and decreasing their fortification by 10%. This debuff stacks up to 5 times, and is dispelled by Bless effects. Cooldown: 1 second.
Passive: Your deity's favored weapon is considered a spellcasting implement in your hands.
*Switched 'Articles of Faith' from tier 2 to core 2*

Change "have a chance of" to "Will"

CORE 3 : Aura of Menace
Toggle: You project a 15 meter Aura of Menace, decreasing the saving throws, attack, and armor class of nearby enemies by 1 for every Angel of Vengeance core you possess. Cooldown: 1 second
*Increased the penalty based on the amount of cores you have.*

Sounds good

CORE 4 : Summon Archon
Toggle: Spell like ability: A small lantern archon hovers over your shoulder and attacks nearby enemies. This archon is indestructible, deals 1 to 3 + caster level light damage every 2 seconds, and uses half of your Light Spell Power and Spell Critical effects for its light beam attacks. The archon will only attack enemies that have already been damaged, and will not attack fascinated or mesmerized foes, and always attacks the enemy with the fewest hit points in range. All threat generated by the archon is applied to you. Cost: 20 spell points. Cooldown: 6 second.
*NO CHANGES*

Change to uses ALL of your Light Spell Power and Spell Crit.

CORE 5 : Fire Storm
Spell-like Ability: Deals 1d3+3 fire damage per caster level for targets in the storm area. (cost: 25 spell points, cooldown: 12 seconds)
*moved 'vengeful magic' to tier 5*

Change to Cometfall SLA.

CAPSTONE : Ascendancy
You gain +2 charisma and one of the following (SLA's cost no spell points):
Bolt of the Sun : +5 diplomacy and spellcraft, +2 wisdom, +15 light spellpower, and a 'sun bolt' spell-like-ability (requires Favored of Amaunator)
Healing Word : +5 diplomacy and heal, +2 additional charisma, +100 spell points, and a 'cure moderate wounds' spell-like ability (requires Favored of the Sovereign Host)
Light of the Flame : +5 balance and spellcraft, +2 wisdom, +3% spell critical chance, and a 'searing light' spell-like ability (requires Favored of the Silver Flame)
Protection of the Lord of Blades : +5 intimidate and repair, +2 constitution, +15 repair spellpower, and a 'divine favor' spell-like ability (requires Favored of the Lord of Blades)
Stealth of the Hunter : +5 hide and move silently, +2 dexterity, +3% dodge and maximum dodge, and an 'invisibility' spell-like ability (requires Favored of Vulkoor)
Voice of the Deathless : +5 spot and heal, +2 wisdom, +2 necromancy spell DC's, and a 'halt undead' spell-like ability (requires Favored of the Undying Court)
*SLA's have been changed to more useful/appropriate spells and skill bonuses have been increased and made more relevant*

Why Balance for Light of the Flame? How does that make sense? Make it Heal & Spellcraft.
Divine Favour is cheap enough already that it makes no sense as an SLA - Recitation perhaps?
Stealth of the Hunter is utterly useless for a Pure FavSoul!
Halt Undead? You're kidding right? If this is the Necro Tree then make it something useful like say Enervate.

HastyPudding
08-10-2016, 09:16 AM
For each action point spent in this tree, you gain +3 Universal Spellpower and +15 spell points.

Why do you always suggest the most unbalanced things? 3 spellpower and 15 spell points for 1 AP? That's absurd. I'd rather fix the cost/effects of spells than add ridiculous buffs like this. If this change was implemented it would have to be changed for all casters at once.

I try to err on the conservative side when doing these things.

Change "have a chance of" to "Will"

I could see the chance being bumped to something like 30%, but otherwise I think it would be too powerful. If it was 100% then I'd say drop the light damage and fortification debuffs to 5%.

Change to uses ALL of your Light Spell Power and Spell Crit.

I think the archon is best where it is. It's basically free damage.

Change to Cometfall SLA.

I put cometfall in the tier 5's, since tier 5's are exclusive, and level 18 cores aren't. Cometfall is much more useful than firestorm.

I think firestorm needs a revamp, anyway. A spell pass should be in order to fix a lot of these mid-high level spells that just don't scale well, if at all. I was thinking with that in mind. Heck, I might take a shot at seeing what I can do with spells, anyway.

Why Balance for Light of the Flame? How does that make sense? Make it Heal & Spellcraft.
Divine Favour is cheap enough already that it makes no sense as an SLA - Recitation perhaps?
Stealth of the Hunter is utterly useless for a Pure FavSoul!
Halt Undead? You're kidding right? If this is the Necro Tree then make it something useful like say Enervate.

- Not sure why it says balance, I thought I had put heal, to begin with...
- I thought of either prayer or recitation, too, but put divine favor just because it fits thematically. I could see the others, though.
- Drow FVS are an odd choice, to begin with. It fits thematically with Vulkoor, though, and I decided to stick to the lore than add some random things in there.
- Enervation wouldn't be a bad choice, I suppose. I was trying to go with a more undead theme.
I made all of these with the thought in mind that they are utterly free to cast, and thus should be slightly weaker than normal SLA's.

Yap.

Hobgoblin
08-10-2016, 09:24 AM
i would also like to see that normal races can take amuantor or what ever it is. it is just a money grab right now for hearts to be a pure fvs amuantor

HastyPudding
08-10-2016, 10:38 AM
i would also like to see that normal races can take amuantor or what ever it is. it is just a money grab right now for hearts to be a pure fvs amuantor

Yeah, but the angel capstone for Amaunator is a bit stronger than the others because it's required to have a +1 heart.

FranOhmsford
08-10-2016, 02:41 PM
Yap.

Well by putting your replies inside my quote you've made it a real pain for me to reply to them but:

1) FavSouls like Clerics have far less DPS Spelluse than Sorcs or Wizards! Far less Options and far more required Generalization!
For this reason FavSouls {And Clerics but that will probably have to come later with a Divine Spell Pass} should do more damage per spell cast than a Wizard or Sorc.
1a) Ditto for CC and Instakills - Far less options.

2) For SPs - I Mixed up your addition in Red with the base and thought you were talking about per Core.

3) I don't like the Devs use of the term "have a chance" because what is that chance? It could already be higher than 30% for all I know!
I'd be more than happy for the bonuses to be reduced if it was guaranteed to go off every time a mob hit you.

4) If a FavSoul Angel of Vengeance is supposed to be a Light Based Spellcaster with the minimal options in Divine Spells for that then I do believe the Archon should gain full benefit from your SPwr/Crit chance rather than only 50%

5) Firestorm is a weak spell - It's also however a Lvl 9 Spell so I'd prefer it be buffed in a Divine Spell Pass and kept as a Pure Spell rather than an SLA.
Cometfall is far too expensive for a Divine Caster what with having to maximise, heighten, Empower, Intensify and possibly even Embolden it - But as an SLA none of those Metas would up the cost and suddenly Divine Casters would be VIABLE!

6) FavSouls are not Clerics - Clerics are the Turn Kings or at least SHOULD BE!
I'd much prefer to have an SLA that's more widely useful and Enervate would be a good choice.

7) Drow should really be the outright #1 Choice for Caster FavSouls what with getting +2 Int and Cha base so less points need to be put into those scores and Wis can more easily be Maxed. {No Wis Based Races still unfortunately}.
BUT
Vulkoor is possibly the single weakest Deity right now and your changes would only make it even more of a Flavour Choice as opposed to SF or SovHost.
This is a Capstone ability so you don't even have the excuse of some sort of Soul/Rogue Multiclass!
In this case going strictly by Lore results in a painfully weak Capstone compared to the others!

HastyPudding
08-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Well by putting your replies inside my quote you've made it a real pain for me to reply to them but:

1) FavSouls like Clerics have far less DPS Spelluse than Sorcs or Wizards! Far less Options and far more required Generalization!
For this reason FavSouls {And Clerics but that will probably have to come later with a Divine Spell Pass} should do more damage per spell cast than a Wizard or Sorc.
1a) Ditto for CC and Instakills - Far less options.

2) For SPs - I Mixed up your addition in Red with the base and thought you were talking about per Core.

3) I don't like the Devs use of the term "have a chance" because what is that chance? It could already be higher than 30% for all I know!
I'd be more than happy for the bonuses to be reduced if it was guaranteed to go off every time a mob hit you.

4) If a FavSoul Angel of Vengeance is supposed to be a Light Based Spellcaster with the minimal options in Divine Spells for that then I do believe the Archon should gain full benefit from your SPwr/Crit chance rather than only 50%

5) Firestorm is a weak spell - It's also however a Lvl 9 Spell so I'd prefer it be buffed in a Divine Spell Pass and kept as a Pure Spell rather than an SLA.
Cometfall is far too expensive for a Divine Caster what with having to maximise, heighten, Empower, Intensify and possibly even Embolden it - But as an SLA none of those Metas would up the cost and suddenly Divine Casters would be VIABLE!

6) FavSouls are not Clerics - Clerics are the Turn Kings or at least SHOULD BE!
I'd much prefer to have an SLA that's more widely useful and Enervate would be a good choice.

7) Drow should really be the outright #1 Choice for Caster FavSouls what with getting +2 Int and Cha base so less points need to be put into those scores and Wis can more easily be Maxed. {No Wis Based Races still unfortunately}.
BUT
Vulkoor is possibly the single weakest Deity right now and your changes would only make it even more of a Flavour Choice as opposed to SF or SovHost.
This is a Capstone ability so you don't even have the excuse of some sort of Soul/Rogue Multiclass!
In this case going strictly by Lore results in a painfully weak Capstone compared to the others!

1. I actually think clerics/fvs (but especially clerics at the moment) are more dps than wizard/sorcerer. Wizards and sorcerers have more damage per hit, but clerics and fvs can spam several spells (light spells mostly) quite rapidly. Like the light cannon builds: it's not high damage, but it's faster and cheaper and rarely resisted. Using light spells makes them not need more generalization and options as there are very, very few mobs in the game that resist it. I think a fvs should be better with physical/fire spells, though.

2. Yeah, there's no way I'd give that much SP per AP spent.

3. I'd be happy with it reduced and always working, too.

4. As I said above, I think fvs should be more focused on fire/physical spells than light. Fire and brimstone, and all that. They need more fire and physical spells, though. I hate having to kite through blade barriers, flamestrike/firestorm are underwhelming, and cometfall is conjuration. I think a spell pass is needed.

5. ....as I said, I put cometfall in the tier 5, not in the cores. They would get both firestorm and cometfall SLA's.

6. What does cleric using turn undead have to do with fvs? And with halt undead I was thinking more about crowd control than outright damage; it instantly stops mindless undead (like zombies and skeletons) can stop other undead like ghouls and wights with a failed will save, and makes them all helpless. The SLA was originally 'control undead' but I am not a fan of charm spells in DDO. Having negative levels on a short cooldown, free SLA just doesn't seem right, to me.

7. A few skill points, +30-60 SP, and -30 HP does not justify taking drow for a favored soul over human, for me. And yes, Vulkoor is a weak deity for clerics/fvs. There's no poison spells that would be interesting for a fvs and the only real SLA that would be even remotely helpful for a drow Vulkoor capstone would be doom, blindness, or maybe bestow curse.