PDA

View Full Version : How good would a S&B( tower shield) Bladeforged Pally be?

Truthkills
07-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Hey guys, Just curious how good would a S&B ( Tower Shield) bladeforged pally be? Would doing this just deny the toon of the +1 to hit with Greatswords? Looking to Iconic TR soon so I was just curious?

unbongwah
07-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Compared to what: human Vanguard? THF BF KotC? Pure fighter? I've no idea what your frame of reference is nor what your plan is for this toon.

RD2play
07-19-2016, 04:05 PM
Think the question should be is it worth it to waste a feat on Tower Shields on a pure pally vanguard? I would like to know that also. Or is a 1ftr splash the better way to go? giving up the capstone?

unbongwah
07-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Think the question should be is it worth it to waste a feat on Tower Shields on a pure pally vanguard? I would like to know that also. Or is a 1ftr splash the better way to go? giving up the capstone?
Neither: just invest in UMD to use Master's Touch scrolls which grant tower shield prof; stay pure for the capstone of your choice (IMO).

RD2play
07-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Neither: just invest in UMD to use Master's Touch scrolls which grant tower shield prof; stay pure for the capstone of your choice (IMO).

Cool Cool, hadn't considered MT, thanks for the quick heads up :) Pure it is then!

Enoach
07-19-2016, 04:30 PM

I would go the UMD route as unbongwah suggests. to have a 50% chance you need the total score to be 10, it also does not suffer ASF and its lasts until death or rest.

Now as for the build, I think it can lay out pretty nice on a Pure or with Fighter Splash (for feats if you feel you need them).

I tried Pure prior to Vanguard. So it was a KoTC/Defender mix (Heavy defender). If I did it now I would go with Vanguard focus, unless you are thinking tank, then 41 Defender, enough in vanguard to get stun with shield and then KotC to get the first Cleave.

Truthkills
07-19-2016, 08:09 PM

This is really my question. is it really worth it or not? I will be TR ing from a barb so I am use to high damage output, I really enjoy THF but I am considering S&B for the higher AC and other effects from shields.

unbongwah
07-19-2016, 09:19 PM
When Vanguard first came out (Update 23, IIRC), VG combined with paladin buffs made S&B DPS the strongest it's ever been in DDO. That said, it was still behind the other combat styles (THF/TWF/SWF) and the U28 crit nerfs pushed it further behind. So going S&B is still mostly about being a tank (or flavor, ofc); and tanking is still mostly about boss fights; and the only boss fights anyone mostly cares about / wants a tank for are the "serious" raids.

So if you're just looking for a high-DPS high-survivability BF build for a pally past life or whatever, I would stick with pure THF pally. There's one in my Iconics thread.

Truthkills
07-20-2016, 12:20 AM
Thank you very much, I will make sure to look at that and I appreciate all your help