PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic fun

Allorian
06-29-2016, 02:49 PM
I was thinking what if certain quests gave out permanent cosmetics for your character. Picture your at the end fight of "Lipstick on your collar" (fictitious name), and the boss is say a succubus Like Malacia. There is the option of not fighting her but instead one of the party can opt to kiss her to save the life of her prisoner. She would then kiss the adventurer him/her and give him/her a negative level that persists until the end of the quest. After that she would leave this plane and return home satisfied at having fed. The person who kissed her would have a permanent cosmetic kiss on his/her neck to show where the succubus kissed him/her and how they took one for the team. It would show through armor or outfits, mark that adventurer as the hero of lipstick on your collar. It would probably be worn like a badge of honor.

This is just an example of how cosmetics could be integrated into the game, maybe when a rouge blows a trap - he/she gets soot all over the front of him/her and has burned hair. If several traps were blown during a quest, an NPC shows up and puts a dunce hat on that rouge for being a dunce, walks him/her over to a corner and sits him/her down. So in essence the teacher sits that student in the corner and puts a dummy hat on him/her for screwing up repeatedly. If you think about it, the possibilities are endless, things like this could be worked in just for flavor, not really giving any bonuses or negatives but just for fun.

Another thing I thought about was a Tattoo Parlor, probably down in the harbor with a name like "Smileys". It would be kind of a rough neighborhood, where sailors and soldiers like to go and hang out. You could get a temporary tattoo from the parlor that is just cosmetic, but would add flavor. There could be dozens of tattoos, chest, arms, legs, face, you name it. Stripes, dragons, unicorns, whales, all types of animals, names, most tattoos you would expect to find in a tattoo parlor. You could toggle tattoos on or wear armor that shows your tats, since they are temporary they would last for a few hours and would cost plat. If you really like the tattoo you could go to the DDO store and get a permanent one, talk to smiley which opens a barter box and places your permanent tat on. People could even get full body suits, there could even be a quest associated with it. Upon completing this quest you can get a free temporary tattoo from old Smiley himself, thanking you for your help. I can already see a Horc with a tattoo that has mother in a heart with an arrow through it on his/her arm. This could really add a lot of flavor to the game and since it is only cosmetic it would only be for fun and flavor.

I've always wondered about cloaks and capes, every adventurer wears one but the avatars don't show it. would it be possible to add a cosmetic to show cloaks, could even be cosmetic cloaks and capes, put in some animations like when sneaking drawing the cloak tighter around you to make it harder to be seen, that's something that I would like. Anyway just some ideas, figured I'd put them out there to see if anyone else has interest in things like this.

Thx Guys
Glam

Uska
06-29-2016, 02:57 PM
Meh I no longer care for such one way or the other. For me the time for such things was 10 years ago. I won't support them but I won't argue against them either if they are free I might use them but if they cost 1 TP I won't buy.

Saekee
06-29-2016, 04:44 PM
cosmetics are great things to add since they do not cause power creep

Uska
06-29-2016, 06:38 PM
cosmetics are great things to add since they do not cause power creep

As long as they don't take much dev time or aren't silly things like wings.

Turtlsdown
06-29-2016, 09:23 PM

If they generate more income, they can hire more people and get more dev manhours. Problem solves itself :D

Uska
06-29-2016, 09:44 PM
If they generate more income, they can hire more people and get more dev manhours. Problem solves itself :D

Wings and silliness aren't worth any amount of money. Let's keep this game looking like d&d even though it has long ceased to play anything like d&d

Saekee
06-30-2016, 07:25 AM

how about glowing eyes? Or maybe have a little creature follow you around.

Uska
06-30-2016, 08:05 AM
how about glowing eyes? Or maybe have a little creature follow you around.

Pets are common in d&d and yes I have been I several games over the years where people had pets and yes some served no purpose other than a pet. Not a fan of the eyes only set I have is one I won on a dice roll wings would be worse though

RistoffDervish
06-30-2016, 10:18 AM
They should have Segway mounts to ride around on and sell cosmetic flames for them.

lifestaker
06-30-2016, 02:36 PM
I would actually be behind more cosmetic weapons. I run with mirrored broccoli and flowers on my current ranger life, at least until I start using broccoli, then switch to another weapon cosmetic. I could get behind a frying pan (Conker would like to be Conker), a one handed lute (for those that think guitar smash is better done one handed), or really anything else that is outside the norm, or unexpected to bring into combat. Just hopefully it looks better then the broccoli (think it looks a bit low on quality.)

Shields have been looking good as of late, but what about cosmetic orbs?

Headgear (eyes or helms) has been a slot with far to many things to put in it for a while, but still nice to grab more of them.

Armors could do a bit better, but there are many options from the store not counting mirrored ones. But, WF could do for something better for in game docent looks. Still far to much spandex with little add on parts for body type.