PDA

View Full Version : Tower Shield Wielding Pure Fighter

zuhyr17
06-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Wanted input on a build for a good melee damage and tanky output that would wield a tower shield race options would be half orc or Warforged

AbyssalMage
06-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Wanted input on a build for a good melee damage and tanky output that would wield a tower shield race options would be half orc or Warforged
I would stay away from WF purely because of the healing penalty. Unless of course, it is for flavor.

Dwarf gives you proficiency in Dwarven Axes and allows you to go Constitution Based, if you so choose. Human gives you Healing Amp and Damage Boost (the extra feat is used on BS proficiency).

PA
SM
ISM
Improved Shield Bash
IC: Slash
Exotic BS
Tower Shield
Toughness
Epic Toughness
THF x 3

Fighter Armor Feats

Steve_Howe
06-15-2016, 12:17 PM
If you have access to the Iconics, go for Bladeforged. They can heal themselves really well.

zuhyr17
06-15-2016, 12:23 PM
how would you initially spec this and is half orc not a good option?

Qhualor
06-15-2016, 12:31 PM

Any race is a good option, but it also depends on if you will take advantage of the racials or not. If you go BF than you have access to Communion of Scribing. If you go horc there are enhancements that would boost dps even with a shield, but favors 2 handed fighting more. WF is basically the same thing as BF, but without CoS. If you don't invest in racials, than race really doesn't matter even more.

zuhyr17
06-15-2016, 12:57 PM
would you mainly spec into vanguard or stalwart defender

Jetrule
06-15-2016, 02:54 PM
I would mainly spec into kensai for tier 5 enhancements and all the way to the level 20 core enhancement, with a secondary in defender and enough vanguard for stunning shield. With vangurd for me the stunning shield and the lvl 20 capstone are the really good things in the tree. In fighter right now kensai is more fun and stronger than vanguard for a main tree. Pali vanguard is a different story they still have a great main hand weapon buff. The problem with vanguard is shield bashes max out at once per second and all the crit enhancers in vanguard are for your shield.

On your race choices for pure fighter I would definitely go warforged if I were in a static group with some one who could repair me. Other wise it is a long way to level 30 and scion of mechanus when you can get a nice self heal. If you dont mind using DDO store potions warforged is still a good way to go with kensai liquid courage and rotating with in game potions. There are some good repair amp items available too.

Main stat strength, secondary constitution, 14 dexterity or intelligence. Look for gear to keep these stats as high as you can. If you have harperscout you can swap dex for int and take insightful reflex feat and expertise and later improved expertise in dreadnought. This version always uses a tower shield and ignores dexterity. If you have harper scout then it can get a damage and tacticts boost at the cost of completely abandoning vanguard. With out harper I prefer the dex option for precision mostly and getting some dodge through enhancements and gear this version uses a large shield at later levels and can have static mid teens dodge chance.

The best option for sword and board kensai is usually slashing and heavy blade focus. Pick up exotic weapons through enhancements rather than feats and you can swap in the best khopeshes or bastard swords you have.

unbongwah
06-15-2016, 03:01 PM
If you're looking to invest heavily into your racial tree, HOs' forte is 2H weapons, so a S&B build is not optimal. And if you're looking for the race with the most front-loaded bonuses so you can save your APs for your class PrEs, human is usually preferred: extra feat, skill pts, racial Dmg Boost (which stacks w/class action boosts for extra burst DPS), and a rank of heal amp for only 3 APs is a lot of bang for minimal investment.

That said, you can make any build work with any race. Heck, I could make a DEX-based half-orc Mechanic just to make some people's heads explode... :p