PDA

View Full Version : Best Tower Shield as of current meta?

Gideon999
06-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Hey everyone,

I have asked about this in the past, but it has been 6 months or so and I have come back from a bit of a break. I am looking at my gear (now that the cap is 30, and I just hit it) and wondering if I should be upgrading my shield.

At the moment I play a vanguard fighter, so my shield is an important part of my build. I am currently using the Purple Dragon Shield (upgraded version).

I know there is one from the high level devil quests (demonic slab or something) that might be better, but are there any others? Is there something out there that really blows my PDS out of the water?

Thanks for your help!

Discpsycho
06-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Welcome back, Gideon!

I personally used the Purple Dragon Shield on my Vanguard life, but I also wasn't looking for endgame dps. I remember reading a post by unbongwah in which he cited a calculation that Epic Demonic Slab (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Demonic_Slab) was the best choice, but unfortunately I don't know where exactly that page was. The other two Contenders would be the PDK shield and Ultimatum (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Ultimatum), but my guess is that the latter's 7-28 Holy damage (an average of 18 or so) is going to be substantially less helpful than Impact and Armor Piercing.

It's also worth pointing out that the new Kensei T5 gives better dps than Vanguard, and possibly the cores as well, though Vanguard Core 5 is pretty worthwhile.

unbongwah
06-07-2016, 10:48 AM
The other two Contenders would be the PDK shield and Ultimatum (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Ultimatum), but my guess is that the latter's 7-28 Holy damage (an average of 18 or so) is going to be substantially less helpful than Impact and Armor Piercing.
Armor Piercing effects don't stack, so "best shield" will partially depend on what weapon you're using. If you're using T3 TF weapon w/Dragon's Edge or Fellblade, then I think Imp Bashing (along w/other effects) from PD Shield or Ultimatum will be more useful; OTOH, if you don't have another source of Armor-Piercing, then eDemonic Slab is probably better.

It's also worth pointing out that the new Kensei T5 gives better dps than Vanguard, and possibly the cores as well, though Vanguard Core 5 is pretty worthwhile.
I posted a "S&B Kensei" in my Iconic Builds thread; essentially you're trading the extra atk speed & shield dmg from Vanguard for a lot more Melee Power, higher doublestrike (which improves your chances of double-proccing special atks like Opportunity Atk or A Good Death), +1 crit range, and (if you take Weapon Master) higher dmg bonus.

Gideon999
06-07-2016, 11:32 AM
I did notice some of the Kensei stuff was pretty good now, and actually did put enough points in there to get the extra +1 to critical threat range for extra DPS. I am using T2 TF for my main weapon and have it with 1st degree burns and the AOE fireball proc (can't recall the exact name).

At least it looks like I am not so far out of whack that I need to completely respec myself. I do have Shadow Dragonplate with the guardian upgrade as my armour now so with that and a few other bits and pieces I seem to be doing ok.

Thanks for all the help!

Steve_Howe
06-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Terminus is, currently, the favored shield of my Fighter 20 Stalwart Defender.

unbongwah
06-07-2016, 11:58 AM
I did notice some of the Kensei stuff was pretty good now, and actually did put enough points in there to get the extra +1 to critical threat range for extra DPS.
One cool thing I noticed: SwNT appears to apply to shields and stacks with Fatal Bulwark. Or at least, the display tells me it applies; obviously, this is DDO, so always test to verify what's working. ;)

BigErkyKid
06-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Demonic slab for DPS, last I checked that was the obvious choice.

Qhualor
06-07-2016, 12:32 PM
I haven't tried every single tower shield in the game, and I do want them all, but the ones I do have the Demonic Slab is hands down the best.