PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity Attack

Nandos
05-21-2016, 06:39 PM
Can someone explain how this new Kensei enhancement works? It seems like you can hit something for +3[W] damage and gain melee power for 6 seconds. But it also has charges and I don't get what they do.

Thanks

Thalone
05-21-2016, 07:21 PM
I have not taken the enhancement myself to test, but I believe the general idea is: you have two charges/uses per rest, like action boosts. You use it, you spend a charge. Then you have a chance to regenerate charges when you attack stuff.

the_one_dwarfforged
05-21-2016, 10:09 PM
its an attack that does not interrupt the basic attack sequence and deals +3[w]. on a successful hit you gain +20 mp for 6 seconds, and the ability has a 6 second cool down. it has a maximum of two charges, one is expended each time you use the ability whether you hit something with it or not. if you do not hit, or roll a one, you dont get the buff. every melee (only? i dont remember) attack has a 10% chance to grant another charge, up to the maximum of two.

BigErkyKid
05-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Can someone explain how this new Kensei enhancement works? It seems like you can hit something for +3[W] damage and gain melee power for 6 seconds. But it also has charges and I don't get what they do.

Thanks

Keep an eye on it and put it in your hotbar. Just spam it, it is one of those famous clickies Severlin is giving us. As far as I can tell, it doesn't change the attack animation. You just gain a buff to your damage, which given doublestrike and attack speed is basically permanent (+20 melee power).

From the creators of frenzy and death frenzy, and dance of death, divine might, and know the angles, we recently received liquid courage
(must have on, 30 secs cool down), and because we don't have enough chores, we now get a 6 secs cool down 100% uptime ability.

Active combat doesn't mean boring and mindless clickfest, but somehow that's what ends up happening in DDO.

Eryhn
05-22-2016, 11:48 AM
we now get a 6 secs cool down 100% uptime ability.

yeah, well, having played it on 2 toons for a few days ill admit that this one is excessively stupid and frustrating. with stunning blow, dire charge, lay waste, momentum, cleave, shattering strike, good death there is a number of things which you wanna hit as soon as cooldown allows. this one is stupid on that it is so short ya just keep spamming, and it is frustrating in that if you dont put it on hotbar 1 #1 or give it that special nice keybind spot where u normally put rly important stuff, you never manage to spamm it efficiently in the heat of combat and you end up being frustrated as whenever you notice, ****, its down AGAIN, you doubt it was 2 AP well spent regardless of the 20 melee being good gain.

I will give it that in that sense it is at least apptly named: SHOULD you be lucky enough to find an OPPORTUNITY to use it, you get some nice ATTACKS. SHOULD ...

this would be fun if it were 10 second duration at a cooldown of 7 seconds and can stack on itself once with a duration reset/extend when it does. which would give you a 3 second window to hit a 2nd stack for 40 mp total for the 2nd 10 seconds. managing that would give you a sense of happyness and achievement for your attention span invested on it, whereas currently you always end up with a sense of meh and non-achievement whenever you notice it already timed out again ....

BigErkyKid
05-22-2016, 12:04 PM
yeah, well, having played it on 2 toons for a few days ill admit that this one is excessively stupid and frustrating. with stunning blow, dire charge, lay waste, momentum, cleave, shattering strike, good death there is a number of things which you wanna hit as soon as cooldown allows. this one is stupid on that it is so short ya just keep spamming, and it is frustrating in that if you dont put it on hotbar 1 #1 or give it that special nice keybind spot where u normally put rly important stuff, you never manage to spamm it efficiently in the heat of combat and you end up being frustrated as whenever you notice, ****, its down AGAIN, you doubt it was 2 AP well spent regardless of the 20 melee being good gain.

I will give it that in that sense it is at least apptly named: SHOULD you be lucky enough to find an OPPORTUNITY to use it, you get some nice ATTACKS. SHOULD ...

this would be fun if it were 10 second duration at a cooldown of 7 seconds and can stack on itself once with a duration reset/extend when it does. which would give you a 3 second window to hit a 2nd stack for 40 mp total for the 2nd 10 seconds. managing that would give you a sense of happyness and achievement for your attention span invested on it, whereas currently you always end up with a sense of meh and non-achievement whenever you notice it already timed out again ....

Yeah right? I have so many attacks that I started putting some in secondary hot bars.

Usually I play with Q/E/R/T being my primary attacks (short cool downs, important) and SHIFT+Q/E/R/T secondary attacks or longer cool downs. Then some (like the fort bypassers, improved sunder) are upper in the bars without hot key binding and I just bring them down against bosses / portals what not.

Right now a fighter is a clicking mess. You know what bothers me? That aside from good death, all the kensei special attacks are freaking passive additions to power. There is little strategic thinking, spam when off cool down for the most part (and deadly strike is rubbish, I don't even pick it).

I absolutely hate the potion one too. As if there weren't enough freaking short term buffs.

I want attacks that do SOMETHING. I want to feel I am using my special attacks smartly to deal with enemies, not just spamming rotations. Seriously! guaaaaaah I got really frustrated today playing.

Eryhn
05-22-2016, 12:26 PM
I want attacks that do SOMETHING. I

opportunities missed: giving fighter arcade style ability to string attacks into combo that on success give special gains for short time

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/16958/images/cass-44a-combo.gif

well, j/k, we not in a time and place for dev ressources spent on stuff like that but would have been cool XD

BigErkyKid
05-22-2016, 01:22 PM
opportunities missed: giving fighter arcade style ability to string attacks into combo that on success give special gains for short time

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/16958/images/cass-44a-combo.gif

well, j/k, we not in a time and place for dev ressources spent on stuff like that but would have been cool XD

:D

There are some games that do that. Call me picky, but I still dislike excessively scripted combos. I think combos should be player made :P

But yeah I like the idea of clicking and seeing something. I don't care if they re use animations, it is all the same to me. But I want to see something happening, not just +XXXXXX passive damage somewhere. This is specially but with "chore" abilities, which have 100% uptime.

Kebtid
05-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Best combo system in any mmo i ever saw so far is in blade and soul.

What i dont like about fighter is that the attack with charges needs to produce a hit, while for example exalted smite needs only to be used to gain the advantage of the melle power buff.

the_one_dwarfforged
05-23-2016, 11:28 PM
i think its good that fighter has a lot of buttons to click. what i dont like are the fact that deadly strike still sucks, opportunity attack is still a pita weaksauce idea, and that there arent more straight unrestricted dps clickies (deadly strike) or at least a single spammable straight dps clicky (fists of iron, divine sacrifice). what i really think they should do is give execute a reset mechanic, that would make me very happy.

that said, you *caaaaan* "combo" fighter skills to some degree very easily.

stunning blow --> opportunity attack --> shattering strike (only +1[w], but doesnt interrupt the basic attack sequence, dont use it if you need the cd for something that actually has fort) --> deadly strike --> execute. in heroics this absolutely annihilates ****.

improved sunder --> shattering strike.

Eryhn
05-25-2016, 04:22 AM
stunning blow --> opportunity attack --> shattering strike (only +1[w], but doesnt interrupt the basic attack sequence, dont use it if you need the cd for something that actually has fort) --> deadly strike --> execute. in heroics this absolutely annihilates ****.

improved sunder --> shattering strike.

yep. dat works :3

and granting you a passive 5% doublestrike and a +5 melee power for 5 seconds after killing a mob with a combo of 3 clicky attacks chained up and making it 10 seconds after 4 clicky attacks chained is what i was going at with arcade combo style giving passive benefits. you got the buttons to press anyways on a fighter, why not make it additionally rewarding if you do so successfully ...

in heroic this would be kinda no brainer almost always buff, but on epics it might make you use your head a bit on how to use your clickies to secure the kill and the temp buff granted on kill ...