PDA

View Full Version : Heroes



Muktor
05-20-2016, 12:11 PM
I propose implementing the ability to use characters from your account (i.e., alts) as followers. These followers would be known as Heroes. Here are my thoughts on this concept:

> Implementing this feature could be a substantial source of additional income for Turbine which would help ensure the longevity of DDO.
> This type of feature has been popular and successful in other games (e.g., GW) and it didn’t “kill grouping” as I’m sure many extroverts would be worried about. (i.e., Players who prefer to solo will play solo with or without this feature. Players who like to group will continue to group because they enjoy human interaction.)
> DDO is designed perfectly for this type of feature.
> It would provide a meaningful reason to level up alts which would provide much more incentive for players to purchase cash shop items related to leveling (for even more income for Turbine). It would also provide a great alternative to repeatedly reincarnating the same character.

Here’s how it could work:

> Players would purchase Hero slots from the cash shop. Your account would need one Hero slot for each active Hero follower. The price of subsequent Hero slots should decrease since the first Hero slot(s) would provide more benefit than subsequent Hero slot(s). This pricing structure would also provide an incentive for players to purchase all Hero slots rather than just one or two (which would be a financial benefit for Turbine). e.g., The first hero slot might cost $25 - $30, then $15 - $20 for the second, and then $5 - $10 for subsequent Hero slots.
> Players would have to purchase and use a Hero token on their characters in order for that character to be available as a Hero. Hero tokens could be available in game or in the cash shop (similar to Heroic True Heart of Wood). Using a Hero token on your character resets that character to Level 1 and gives that character the Hero feat.
> If a player is currently playing a character that has the Hero feat then the game takes a “snapshot” of that character immediately before the character levels up. The user would be prompted before the snapshot was taken and the snapshot would store a record of all the Hero’s gear and abilities at that level.
> Active Hero followers would not gain any experience and they would always be the same level as the character that is being played by the player, up to the Hero’s current maximum level. The snapshot of the Hero would be used whenever the Hero was leveled down to the level of the character that is being played by the player.
> The AI for followers could be handled by user-defined scripts that are run on the client (similar to AI scripts in Dragon Age II).

Uska
05-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Sorry I am against this as it's another format of hirelings see sign for my thoughts on those

Muktor
05-20-2016, 03:23 PM
Sorry I am against this as it's another format of hirelings see sign for my thoughts on those
Just keep in mind that this would help Turbine pay for supporting the game that you love to play with your friends.

Uska
05-20-2016, 03:27 PM
Just keep in mind that this would help Turbine pay for supporting the game that you love to play with your friends.

Don't care if think hirelings have hurt the game at least the one I liked and reduced my play time by 75% and I doubt it would add enought money to the game to pay for itself much less extend the life of the game your idea of cost is to low to help costs and people wouldn't pay more if they would even pay that much the ROI doesn't work

LuKaSu
05-21-2016, 06:52 AM
I propose implementing the ability to use characters from your account (i.e., alts) as followers. These followers would be known as Heroes.

Mechanically, it would be a great deal easier (it seems to me) to just have hirelings work like Artificer or Druid pets, where they can level up based on your level, and you could equip or train them how you see fit. Of course, it would only work if they implemented more perma-hirelings. That way, they would save all of the time an energy used in the converting a character into this new follower.

Muktor
05-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Don't care if think hirelings have hurt the game at least the one I liked and reduced my play time by 75% and I doubt it would add enought money to the game to pay for itself much less extend the life of the game your idea of cost is to low to help costs and people wouldn't pay more if they would even pay that much the ROI doesn't work
I'm sure you're an awesome person and we probably share a lot of the same interests, but if you think I'd suddenly start to group with you if they eliminated hirelings then you're wrong.

In fact, if the Hero system was implemented then I would be playing DDO much, much more which would actually increase the chances for us to group (because even introverts like me get the urge to group on occasion). I have two other friends who feel the same.

It's important that you don't oversimplify your logic while attempting to achieve your goals. Appealing to players who prefer to solo (or play with a small number of friends) would increase DDO's player base which would ultimately increase the number of players who group. On the other hand, making those players feel like they are being penalized for not grouping will simply make then go find a solo-friendly game at which point they have a 0% chance to group with you.

Enerdhil
05-21-2016, 11:31 AM
Before i will share my opinion i'd like to know: whats the difference between your heroes concept and ability to customize hirelings by players?