PDA

View Full Version : Downtime Notice: 8:00 - 11:00 AM Eastern (-4 GMT) Tuesday, May 10th

Cordovan
05-09-2016, 01:20 PM
UPDATE: The game worlds remain unavailable. We will keep you updated.

The DDO game worlds will be brought down on Tuesday, May 10th from 8:00 - 11:00 AM Eastern (-4 GMT) to release Update 31: Gnomework. Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!

Arkai
05-09-2016, 01:31 PM
The DDO game worlds will be brought down on Tuesday, May 10th from 8:00 - 11:00 AM Eastern (-4 GMT) to release Update 31: Gnomework. Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!

Cool!

Quick question, are kensei changes included o just those brand new quests?

Thx :)

Dandonk
05-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Interesting.

Bolo_Grubb
05-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Will this include any improvements to lag?

xaul17
05-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Wait, what?

We only had 1 build on Lamma, and not all the kensei features were implemented yet. Also, there still remains a full quest which has not been tested by the community yet.

Cordovan
05-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Cool!

Quick question, are kensei changes included o just those brand new quests?

Thx :)

Yes, Fighter Kensei is in Update 31, although two enhancements will be added later (most likely in the next patch): The former Drunken Master (being renamed to something else) and Opportunity Attack.

HuneyMunster
05-09-2016, 02:19 PM
Yes, Fighter Kensei is in Update 31, although two enhancements will be added later (most likely in the next patch): The former Drunken Master (being renamed to something else) and Opportunity Attack.

Does Strike With No Thought +1 crit multiplier work with wraps? Unless changed Keen Edge does not so I gonna assume it also does not.

alancarp
05-09-2016, 02:24 PM

Inebriated Instigator?
Soused Sensei?

AnEvenNewerNoob
05-09-2016, 02:29 PM
Whoa. Ok then.

Duana
05-09-2016, 02:29 PM
Inebriated Instigator?
Soused Sensei?

****ed Pugilist?

Slanesh21
05-09-2016, 02:39 PM
The DDO game worlds will be brought down on Tuesday, May 10th from 8:00 - 11:00 AM Eastern (-4 GMT) to release Update 31: Gnomework. Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!Will the gnomes work on the persistent lag issues?

vyvy3369
05-09-2016, 02:55 PM
I will probably be doing some sort of LR or ER after Kensei hits live. Do you have any information that you are able to share about requirements for those two enhancements?

...Separately, we did want to let folks know that we are aware that the DPS boost in Kensei isn't where we want it yet, and it's something we're working on.
Was Kensei as seen on Lamannia boosted to address the DPS concern, and/or are the new enhancements supposed to address the DPS concerns?

Saekee
05-09-2016, 03:44 PM
Inebriated Instigator?
Soused Sensei?

****ed Pugilist?

Soused Sensei gets my vote lol--fits kensei tree theme

Epicstorms
05-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Just wanted to throw in here how I feel about the announcement of another update to the game.

I'm a veteran player, I used to play this game a lot and enjoyed it. In the past I played a lot of endgame and considered myself a hardcore player.
Lately this is reduced to extremely casual, only logging in to play with friends and to talk to guildies.
This is mostly due to endgame being dead, lag, lack of players and several other issues.

I really hope you guys will revive this game by whatever is necessary, server merge, lag fixes, things like that.
Updates like this that add more content to the game really doesn't interest me as the game right now is pretty broken for me.

Thanks.

Atremus
05-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Did you fix Gnomes so they are actually small people and not using Human shape?

goldengibblet
05-09-2016, 04:50 PM

How can you possibly be going live now? the build on lamma has been incomplete, even your own dev posts make that clear.

So how in the world can you go live with something when the majority of it hasn't been tested Cordovan? I mean have you guys already forgotten about the travesty that was U29? and all the shut downs, and roll back that untested monstrosity caused?

Why the darn rush when you haven't tested at all and the lag is still not fixed?

Seriously Cordovan, Severlin, Why!

Steve_Howe
05-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Just wanted to throw in here how I feel about the announcement of another update to the game.

I'm a veteran player, I used to play this game a lot and enjoyed it. In the past I played a lot of endgame and considered myself a hardcore player.
Lately this is reduced to extremely casual, only logging in to play with friends and to talk to guildies.
This is mostly due to endgame being dead, lag, lack of players and several other issues.

I really hope you guys will revive this game by whatever is necessary, server merge, lag fixes, things like that.
Updates like this that add more content to the game really doesn't interest me as the game right now is pretty broken for me.

Thanks.

Ditto.

I'd prefer solutions to lag and other fixes vs. newer content as well. If lag is fixed (or mostly fixed), I bet more people would come back to the game which means more people to actually try and enjoy new content.

Right now, it seems like the cart is being put before the horse.

Steve_Howe
05-09-2016, 04:55 PM
How can you possibly be going live now? the build on lamma has been incomplete, even your own dev posts make that clear.

So how in the world can you go live with something when the majority of it hasn't been tested Cordovan? I mean have you guys already forgotten about the travesty that was U29? and all the shut downs, and roll back that untested monstrosity caused?

Why the darn rush when you haven't tested at all and the lag is still not fixed?

Don't know why you think we were "testing" the new content. Lamannia is a "preview" server so we were just "previewing" it. :p

Seikojin
05-09-2016, 04:56 PM

You know the answer to all of this. Deadlines talk, features walk.

Mind you, daily builds internally tested could resolve every concern brought up by Lam. So you won't know in full until tomorrow.

Elsbet
05-09-2016, 08:17 PM
So tomorrow night, the game will be unplayable and we'll have untested content. Must be Tuesday at Turbine.

I so hope I'm wrong.

Treok
05-09-2016, 09:11 PM
-I really hope you guys will revive this game by whatever is necessary, server merge, lag fixes, things like that.

The player community would like a whole release targeting bug fixes, lag issues, etc. New features aren't doing it if the game is unplayable. Fix your lag. Fix the bugs. The game has a ton of content. At the moment, most raids have horrible lag issues making the content unplayable. I would get fired for posting that I am going to post a pretty much untested release missing features. Why not put the release off a week? No one is begging for the new release of half baked code. You've given us enough of that since Christmas.

yk5
05-09-2016, 09:21 PM
Do this patch include lag-related fix? Thats all I wanna know.

PNellesen
05-09-2016, 09:35 PM
Don't know why you think we were "testing" the new content. Lamannia is a "preview" server so we were just "previewing" it. :p

QFT. [Insert sarcastic comment about their opinion of player feedback here]

kathy1234
05-10-2016, 02:25 AM
the last thing I want to see is another update. As there is not enough bugs/lags around.

Turbine never fails to introduce more bugs with new update, NEVER.

Robbenklopper
05-10-2016, 06:23 AM

Seriously? You wanna push out an incomplete update like that? Why on earth has it absolutely to be rushed out callow, is the devil after you or what? Think again guys and release stuff that´s really done and not raw, do yourself a favor. It doesn´t matter if it takes a week or two more, but please ...
Would you guys drive a fresh new ferrari but the technicans tell you they´ll gonna do brakes and lights next Service stop in a few weeks?

Widmore
05-10-2016, 07:33 AM
**Insert comment about how the Iron Defender ate my Gnomework**

No?
OK, I'll be over in that corner....

stinkyfish
05-10-2016, 08:00 AM
hmmm, I'm shocked no one has asked for the release notes yet..... I'll just give it more time someone will come through !

:D

donblas
05-10-2016, 08:04 AM
hmmm, I'm shocked no one has asked for the release notes yet..... I'll just give it more time someone will come through !

Not me, no siree!

Jordi108
05-10-2016, 08:08 AM
I would say 8:00 - 11:00 AM Eastern is (-5 GMT), not (-4 GMT)

Ulfo
05-10-2016, 08:44 AM

You right, but who cares? 8)

Gremmlynn
05-10-2016, 08:52 AM

:DWould be nice to have something more productive to read than this thread.

RTFM
05-10-2016, 08:54 AM

Don't be shocked, the reason there is no request for release notes is:

1. Everyone is too busy posting asking WHY in the world do we have a release with more content nobody cares about, yet no fixes to the raid crushing (and game crushing) lag and buggy boo code?

2. Everyone is too busy posting asking WHY the big push to release an update that is not fully tested and again incomplete. Really, a new enhancement tree with missing enhancements......and "drunken" enhancements are missing? I swear I could not make this stuff up its so silly.

3. Most players who cared about the game really don't care anymore and/or have left the game, or maybe they drop in just for the social aspect. Seriously, the lag just running up in heroics is so damn annoying makes me want to log out every time I'm on....yes EVERY time because the lag always hits a session. The game did not used to be like this, its not like we grew "selective" memory and have all turned into "crazy uncle Bill" complaining about raids. Seriously we had a Von 5 wipe due to lag the other day. How old is that raid again?

4. Returning players are still trying to figure out if they want to stay returned or not, and have not bothered looking at forums.

5. Active logins (at least on Khyber) have been declining, less people looking at forums and posting probably.

6. A lot of people predict maintenance mode on the horizon anyway so why bother asking now when there is plenty of time to read those release notes in the future.

7. Anyone who is paying attention puts odds that the release notes will be updated when the release is rolled back because its broken and untested.

Garix
05-10-2016, 09:08 AM

You right, but who cares? 8)

Technically everyone is right.

EST (Eastern Standard Time) is -5 GMT (or UTC if you prefer).

I believe most are currently running on EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) which is -4 GMT.

Cordo only said "Eastern" he didn't specify which one.

Still a 5 hour difference for us in the UK, it only gets a little odd as we change clocks at slightly different times :)

Quintain-Valewalker
05-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Good Morning All,

I tried to log in this AM forgetting there was an update scheduled. However, the game started to download what I presumed was the update content. After the download and installation, I was unable to log in. Has anyone else had this issue. The download and log in attempt was around 10AM today.

Shoyang
05-10-2016, 09:13 AM
"...to release Update 31: Gnomework."

So basically, you are hammering away at it.

Garix
05-10-2016, 09:18 AM
Good Morning All,

I tried to log in this AM forgetting there was an update scheduled. However, the game started to download what I presumed was the update content. After the download and installation, I was unable to log in. Has anyone else had this issue. The download and log in attempt was around 10AM today.

Patch and game servers are differing things.

Game servers not due up for another hour. Maybe earlier, may not :)

Micki
05-10-2016, 09:30 AM
Waiting for release notes

memloch
05-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Ding, there it is

silinteresting
05-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Waiting for release notes

agreed, comon cordo release the notes pls.

your friend sil :)

ps. thx in advance.

Quintain-Valewalker
05-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Patch and game servers are differing things.

Game servers not due up for another hour. Maybe earlier, may not :)

Ok. Thanks. That is probably the reason I couldn't log in. The window below the login area, which displays news events, is blank. So maybe that is why I received and error when logging in. Thanks again.

moomooprincess
05-10-2016, 09:40 AM
Good Morning All,

If you very carefully read the FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD, Cordovan usually lets you know when the WORLDS have reopened.

If it ain't there, they ain't open.

Right now, Turbine is going through a possible checklist to make sure the game is ready for the login server to be armed.

Cordovan
05-10-2016, 09:42 AM
We're continuing to work to reopen the worlds. In the meantime, here's the Release Notes: https://www.ddo.com/en/update-31-release-notes

Lerincho
05-10-2016, 09:46 AM
We're continuing to work to reopen the worlds. In the meantime, here's the Release Notes: https://www.ddo.com/en/update-31-release-notes

Serious, still no fix to doppelganger in Haunted Halls?

Grynberg
05-10-2016, 09:55 AM
6 minutes to go, I take it the downtime will be extended? Usually the login servers would be up by now.

Quintain-Valewalker
05-10-2016, 09:56 AM
If you very carefully read the FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD, Cordovan usually lets you know when the WORLDS have reopened.

If it ain't there, they ain't open.

Right now, Turbine is going through a possible checklist to make sure the game is ready for the login server to be armed.

If you READ MY POST correctly, you would have noticed that I mentioned I forgot about the update and opened the game. It automatically started to download data. It was not until this point that I remembered the update. I thought maybe they had finished earlier then expected and when the download and installation was completed I tried to log in. Don't be so quick to criticize everyone else because you are bored and can't get your game fix for the day.

Nyata
05-10-2016, 09:56 AM
and since no one has said it yet, let me say:

and please remember that airship amenities may take up to an hour to repopulate. there is no need to repurchase them. they show up on their own.

:)

Nyata
05-10-2016, 09:58 AM
If you READ MY POST correctly, you would have noticed that I mentioned I forgot about the update and opened the game. It automatically started to download data. It was not until this point that I remembered the update. I thought maybe they had finished earlier then expected and when the download and installation was completed I tried to log in. Don't be so quick to criticize everyone else because you are bored and can't get your game fix for the day.

actually most of us do it that way on purpose, the patch server usually comes up first, so we download the files and then just sit there refreshing either the launcher once in a while or the forum, so we can log on as soon as it's up.... yeh... we do need other hobbies :)

Gremlin1forged
05-10-2016, 09:59 AM
I'm glad the new update is coming, not for the new content, the enhancement fixes, or the other stuff being added, but for the fact it will allow 2 of my guildies to finally get access to the their main toons which have been in TR limbo for a couple of weeks. They both TR'd and got stuck/frozen, til as Tech support put it a server restart was done to free their toons.

Grynberg
05-10-2016, 10:01 AM
yeh... we do need other hobbies :)

What kind of heresy is this. Burn the witch!

Six_Gun
05-10-2016, 10:01 AM
Servers up?

Cordovan
05-10-2016, 10:02 AM
We are not quite ready to open the worlds yet, but are getting close. We'll keep you updated.

Grynberg
05-10-2016, 10:03 AM
We are not quite ready to open the worlds yet, but are getting close. We'll keep you updated.

Game will be up in 1 CTU (Cordovan Time Unit). CTU-s are measured in whatever you have at hand. I'm using bananas :)

Bargol
05-10-2016, 10:04 AM

- Read by a player

memloch
05-10-2016, 10:06 AM
- Read by a player

Priceless

moomooprincess
05-10-2016, 10:15 AM

Read me wrong also, where am I stating I need a game fix?

You came to this thread and posted a complaint. I am not the one that was complaining about the game not being up.

I told you how Cordovan lets you know when the worlds are opened. I taught you how to fish. Teach a man to fish you feed him for life. I could have just said the worlds are not open. But that would not have given you the ability to know when the game is up, now you know.

You also mentioned it was 10 AM. I don't know where 10 AM is in your area, but the thread clearly states 11 AM EASTERN and -4 GMT.

Have a great day!

RicksterLionheart
05-10-2016, 10:22 AM

Any estimated time they will be brought up? Getting "Failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line:1][col:1]" when I try to login. Its already 21 minutes after the expected "Up" time.

D-molisher
05-10-2016, 10:25 AM
-4 GMT.

Have a great day!

The problem might be like here in europe, where we are on summertime, therefor the gmt from kordovan isnt totally correct.
Because we moved time 1 h ahead.
But yep if i count right, it will be down for another 36 mins or so...
Tapping under table, dont wanna jinx the almighty server hamsters.

Cordovan
05-10-2016, 10:28 AM
For some reason loading screens are sometimes taking longer than usual, and we are investigating. There was some work done at the data center today, so we're checking into that prior to reopening.

Graedyn_Jaxx
05-10-2016, 10:29 AM
The problem might be like here in europe, where we are on summertime, therefor the gmt from kordovan isnt totally correct.

Im in Toronto and its 11:30 AM, i'm getting that error too. Failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line: 1][col: 1]

OrodelaSol
05-10-2016, 10:30 AM

who needs to play when we got notes!

Bolo_Grubb
Im in Toronto and its 11:30 AM, i'm getting that error too. Failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line: 1][col: 1]

Getting same error in Arizona

HastyPudding
For some reason loading screens are sometimes taking longer than usual, and we are investigating. There was some work done at the data center today, so we're checking into that prior to reopening.

Good idea. I literally sat through a 2 minute loading screen entering the Vale, yesterday.

Duana
05-10-2016, 10:35 AM
What do you mean the command to update the servers is not format C: /U??

Gremlin1forged
05-10-2016, 10:36 AM

You came to this thread and posted a complaint. I am not the one that was complaining about the game not being up.

I told you how Cordovan lets you know when the worlds are opened. I taught you how to fish. Teach a man to fish you feed him for life. I could have just said the worlds are not open. But that would not have given you the ability to know when the game is up, now you know.

You also mentioned it was 10 AM. I don't know where 10 AM is in your area, but the thread clearly states 11 AM EASTERN and -4 GMT.

Have a great day!

Lmao, too trade your proverb for proverb, you can lead a camel to water, but you can't make it drink, or as my grandpa put it "A jackass is one of the smartest animals god ever made, but sometimes you still have to hit it between the ears with a chunk of firewood to make it stop acting stupid, so son keep a chunk handy" >;^D.

P.S. No I'm not calling the other guy a jackass, i'm quoting my granddad's use of a country proverb.

Lat
05-10-2016, 10:43 AM
...that is all...

Oranor
05-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Any estimated time they will be brought up? Getting "Failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line:1][col:1]" when I try to login. Its already 21 minutes after the expected "Up" time.

I am getting this error as well:
"Failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line:1][col:1]"
Hope it helps. Thanks!

Quintain-Valewalker
05-10-2016, 10:45 AM

Have a great day!

Seriously, did you not read the part about I forgot about the update. Clearly this means I did not look at the forum or read any posts. Also, I was not posting a complaint, but merely asking if anyone else had this problem. And you didn't teach me anything, another person explained it nicely.

You were right about two things though. I did not mention where in the world I was when I posted a time of 10AM. I should have been more specific. My apologies. The other thing you were right about was you could have just said the worlds are not open yet. You also could have left out the sarcasm and berating. Or better yet, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything.

I know you did not mention anything about a game fix. Clearly you are bored and have nothing to do but insult others.

Duana
05-10-2016, 10:45 AM

Good Intentions - Find out why good intentions can lead to bad results! A mysterious enchanter's greatest invention creates an instant workforce to repair damaged sections of Stormreach, and you are there to see its debut. What could possibly go wrong?

Words never to be typed/uttered on update day!

RicksterLionheart
05-10-2016, 10:46 AM

I appreciate the info, thanks Cordovan. :)

Garix

The GMT from Cordo is exactly correct.

Turbine are currently at EDT (Eastern Daylight Time). which is GMT -4. Once Daylight savings ends for them it reverts back to EST, GMT -5.

In the UK we're currently in BST (British Summer Time - Although the summer bit is debatable at the moment!) GMT + 1

Denmark is currently in CEST (Central European Summer Time) or GMT +2.

Aside from a couple of weeks a year, as Daylight Savings occures at differing time dependant on location, Turbine is always 5 hours behind me (UK time)

Bolo_Grubb
Build a man a fire and he stays warm all night.

Set a man on fire and he stays warm the rest of his life. ;)

FranOhmsford
05-10-2016, 10:50 AM

Turbine are currently at EDT (Eastern Daylight Time). which is GMT -4. Once Daylight savings ends for them it reverts back to EST, GMT -5.

In the UK we're currently in BST (British Summer Time - Although the summer bit is debatable at the moment!) GMT + 1

Aside from a couple of weeks a year, as Daylight Savings occures at differing time dependant on location, Turbine is always 5 hours behind me (UK time)

BST = GMT+1
EDT = GMT -4
So Turbine are still 5 hrs behind the UK - And it may technically be BST right now but we still say GMT anyway because the meaning is known by all while BST is not.

Nuclear_Elvis
05-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Good Intentions - Find out why good intentions can lead to bad results! A mysterious enchanter's greatest invention creates an instant workforce to repair damaged sections of Stormreach, and you are there to see its debut. What could possibly go wrong?

Words never to be typed/uttered on update day!

Yeah this has me thinking of a mini-movie idea, something on the theme of Tron except the opposite -- Users (Devs) at Turbine have their programs jump out of the computer and into the real world. Maybe Lolth is inside Turbine HQ wreaking havoc right now...

Does the eastern wall of Turbine HQ have signs of disrepair/cracks in it? :)

stinkyfish
05-10-2016, 10:54 AM
Yeah this has me thinking of a mini-movie idea, something on the theme of Tron except the opposite -- Users (Devs) at Turbine have their programs jump out of the computer and into the real world. Maybe Lolth is inside Turbine HQ wreaking havoc right now...

Sounds like a winner !!

Eryhn
05-10-2016, 10:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/wAGm7VH.gif

lyrecono
05-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Serious, still no fix to doppelganger in Haunted Halls?

Still no help for that poor ice render who is stuck in the door way of "Ghost of perdition"?

stuck since 27th Sep, 2007

Eight and a half years.....
Talk about track record, i guess your doppelganger has to wait just a little bit longer XD
Cholthulzz must be the Josef Fritzl of DDO

Garix
BST = GMT+1
EDT = GMT -4
So Turbine are still 5 hrs behind the UK - And it may technically be BST right now but we still say GMT anyway because the meaning is known by all while BST is not.

What do you mean technically?!

It is BST.

Calling it GMT is simply wrong.

Grynberg
Failed to read auth response etc.
http://s32.postimg.org/x6s2bpuol/ddonotworking.png

RicksterLionheart
05-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Game will be up in 1 CTU (Cordovan Time Unit). CTU-s are measured in whatever you have at hand. I'm using bananas :)

I don't think Cordovan is using bananas today, I just ate "1" banana, it did not help :P :)

Nyata
05-10-2016, 10:59 AM
I don't think Cordovan is using bananas today, I just ate "1" banana, it did not help :P :)

I've had dinner and two drinks and it didn't help...

wonder if Turbine is trying to make me do the dishes too...

Cordovan
05-10-2016, 10:59 AM

This. Folks are right that I should probably say Eastern Daylight/Saving Time rather than "Eastern", but I generally see it as yet another opportunity to get it wrong. By "Eastern" I mean "whatever the current Eastern is". Especially since the U.S. and Europe haven't been changing at the same time.

FranOhmsford
05-10-2016, 11:03 AM
What do you mean technically?!

It is BST.

Calling it GMT is simply wrong.

Greenwich is in England {London to be exact} and therefore goes forward just the same as the rest of the country - BST is just the technical name and is only used twice a year when the clocks go forward and when they go back!

Say GMT and everyone knows you mean the current time in England! {no matter what time of year it is!}.
Say BST and most of the World goes "You what?"

RicksterLionheart
05-10-2016, 11:04 AM
I've had dinner and two drinks and it didn't help...

wonder if Turbine is trying to make me do the dishes too...

Hmmm, drinks? I am going to try that.. It may not help the game servers but I am sure it will help me, lol :)

Brother_Glacius
05-10-2016, 11:06 AM
Any update to the failed to launch client error that everyone is getting?

sudzz

In Scptland we are having our summer already this year, the fact that there is still snow on the mountains aint stopping the temps hittin 25+ but yeah it's now an hour past scheduled up time and plenty of bug passes ahead due to shortage of testing/preview on this one.

Garix
Greenwich is in England {London to be exact} and therefore goes forward just the same as the rest of the country - BST is just the technical name and is only used twice a year when the clocks go forward and when they go back!

Say GMT and everyone knows you mean the current time in England! {no matter what time of year it is!}.
Say BST and most of the World goes "You what?"

Oh dear.

GMT does not move. Ever.

Eryhn
05-10-2016, 11:09 AM
https://45.media.tumblr.com/c72519a651dd9430b09ea7c1e54428c6/tumblr_mmk05xJ2bk1rcaxrjo1_500.gif

D-molisher
05-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Pass the popcorn ...
I am bored and wanna game .

Gurei23
05-10-2016, 11:16 AM
>Six new beards are now available for gnomes.
>>>new beards are now available for gnomes.
>>>>>available for gnomes.

*bubump* *bubump* *bubump* *bubumpbubumpbubumpbubump*

DWARVES ARE THE BEARDY ONES. Introducing more beard options is awesome, I can get behind that... But gnome-only? What sort of lunacy is this!? I wouldn't even mind if the dwarf ones were like 50 tp each since it's a f2p class and you want some monetary gain, but now I want to just go on a gnome beard-scalping quest and hide in the depths of Undermountain!

/rant

AnEvenNewerNoob
05-10-2016, 11:18 AM
- Read by a player

lmfao!!!
:)

cpw_acc
05-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Oh dear.

GMT does not move. Ever.

^^ This.

People may not know what BST (British Summer Time) means, but at least everyone reading this thread knows now that it is NOT the same thing as GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).

GMT is similar - but not _exactly_ the same as UTC (Coordinated Universal Time - and before anyone complains I have the initials the wrong way around - it comes from the French or something). It never changes.

BST varies according to daylight savings. In the winter it matches GMT, but in summer it moves forward one hour.

Time is complicated!

FranOhmsford
05-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Oh dear.

GMT does not move. Ever.

Please stop being pedantic!

You know exactly what I'm getting at and that right now according to your own Calculations Boston and Turbine are 5 hrs behind the UK NOT 4!

It doesn't matter that Cordovan's saying Eastern or EST rather than Eastern Daylight/Savings Time!
What does matter is that he's still saying -4 GMT and confusing people when it's actually -5 right now!

And no I'm not confused by it - After 6 years of Turbine Updates I've got used to it!

But there are plenty of people who see that -4 GMT and think that means 3pm here when really it means 4!

And you can guarantee multiple posts about it in every one of these update threads!

GMT has two meanings yes - One of those meanings is UK Time! The other is the Base by which time zones are calculated!
For the purposes of these threads Cordovan should be using the first meaning NOT the second! Because the second is technical while the first is REAL!

Eryhn
05-10-2016, 11:24 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/11KzOet1ElBDz2/giphy.gif

Beelzebjorn
05-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Beards broke the client.

Eryhn
05-10-2016, 11:30 AM
http://i.imgur.com/b82eW.gif

Nyata
05-10-2016, 11:30 AM

You know exactly what I'm getting at and that right now according to your own Calculations Boston and Turbine are 5 hrs behind the UK NOT 4!

It doesn't matter that Cordovan's saying Eastern or EST rather than Eastern Daylight/Savings Time!
What does matter is that he's still saying -4 GMT and confusing people when it's actually -5 right now!

And no I'm not confused by it - After 6 years of Turbine Updates I've got used to it!

But there are plenty of people who see that -4 GMT and think that means 3pm here when really it means 4!

And you can guarantee multiple posts about it in every one of these update threads!

GMT has two meanings yes - One of those meanings is UK Time! The other is the Base by which time zones are calculated!
For the purposes of these threads Cordovan should be using the first meaning NOT the second! Because the second is technical while the first is REAL!

I hate to get into this as I find the whole time zone discussion tedious and.. I get the same feeling I get when watching a movie about time paradoxa... my head starts swimming and I want to go into a 'Are we there yet?' loop.

anyhow, GMT is way more real than the time we actually use, because it's fixed and given by the universe. the other one we just got because some one thought at some point it would be smart to get up earlier in summer than in winter to save energy. so just because it's used casually, it makes it no more real or adequate.

And btw... I hate the person who decided getting up earlier is a good idea. whoever it was. don't wanna know. hate him.

sudzz
05-10-2016, 11:31 AM

GMT does not mean time in the UK, the UK is currently in BST 1 hour ahead of GMT we will return to GMT n the Autumn until then we are GMT +1 or BST

Cordovan
05-10-2016, 11:32 AM
We're making progress, and are doing another round of QA checking. Soon?

DanXV7
05-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Hey Turbine,
Would you be looking for a DevOps/SDLC process and tools manager?

HuneyMunster
05-10-2016, 11:34 AM

In the meantime we can continue the debate about time zones

^^ This.

People may not know what BST (British Summer Time) means, but at least everyone reading this thread knows now that it is NOT the same thing as GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).

GMT is similar - but not _exactly_ the same as UTC (Coordinated Universal Time - and before anyone complains I have the initials the wrong way around - it comes from the French or something). It never changes.

BST varies according to daylight savings. In the winter it matches GMT, but in summer it moves forward one hour.

Time is complicated!

BST never matches GMT. It is always GMT+1.

Pank
05-10-2016, 11:34 AM

SOON (tm)?

uknowddo
05-10-2016, 11:37 AM

Yes, please.

Eryhn
05-10-2016, 11:37 AM
I hate to get into this as [...]

https://66.media.tumblr.com/e9327447a553bb81c940072de5e17c3f/tumblr_inline_o6iwd2332M1row6m8_500.gif

Eryhn
05-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Soon?

https://media.giphy.com/media/jMX7UL8OKU2aI/giphy.gif

Natashaelle
05-10-2016, 11:43 AM
This. Folks are right that I should probably say Eastern Daylight/Saving Time rather than "Eastern", but I generally see it as yet another opportunity to get it wrong. By "Eastern" I mean "whatever the current Eastern is". Especially since the U.S. and Europe haven't been changing at the same time.

... which is exactly why your references to GMT are almost systematically wrong.

You keep on failing to understand the difference between GMT and BST.

Ebondevil
05-10-2016, 11:43 AM

Just because people get confused by Cordovan using the correct terminology, does not mean he should start using the wrong Terminology, as that would only confuse the people who actually understand the definitions...

GMT (http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/) has 1 meaning, it never changes.

GMT (http://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/gmt) Does not equal BST, it never does, it never will. UK is currently at GMT +1 (BST), Not GMT!

If people use GMT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time) wrong that's their fault, not Cordovan's.

Edit: I get my times messed up enough with Summertime Timezone changes, without people asking for incorrect terminology to be used to compound the issues.

Edit 2: Also Consider that it's not Just the UK that this information is important for, GMT is a Timezone used as a point of reference for the whole world, so posting the wrong information will not just confuse the people in the UK who understand the timezones correctly, but everyone in every other timezone outside of Turbines

dratsabylgu
05-10-2016, 11:45 AM
You keep on failing to understand the difference between GMT and BST.[/QUOTE]

I don't care about the time in London. I don't care about the time in Greenwich. It will be the same time when the servers come back up, game time. I only care about the time in Xendrick.

RoberttheBard
05-10-2016, 11:46 AM
So what I'm taking away from this discussion is that people in the UK never get to work on time, because they never really know what time it is???

/runandhide

TallMikeM
05-10-2016, 11:48 AM
You keep on failing to understand the difference between GMT and BST.

I don't care about the time in London. I don't care about the time in Greenwich. It will be the same time when the servers come back up, game time. I only care about the time in Xendrick.[/QUOTE]

there's only one time in Xendrick, hammer time.

Bechtinger
05-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Come on guys, almost two hours. Well, im my time zone :P

Eryhn
05-10-2016, 11:49 AM
i never care about some gmt addendum in the posts and just convert EST here:

http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/est-to-cet-converter

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqg8nao90m1r0nu3uo1_400.gif

uknowddo
05-10-2016, 11:52 AM
Just because people get confused by Cordovan using the correct terminology, does not mean he should start using the wrong Terminology, as that would only confuse the people who actually understand the definitions...

GMT (http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/) has 1 meaning, it never changes.

GMT (http://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/gmt) Does not equal BST, it never does, it never will. UK is currently at GMT +1 (BST), Not GMT!

If people use GMT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time) wrong that's their fault, not Cordovan's.

Kinda hate to get into this... but ... oh well...
Agree
Abraham Lincoln was once asked:
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg?"
Mr. Lincoln answered: "Four. Saying that a tail is a leg does not make it a leg."
[Source: Lincoln, by David Herbert Donald, pub. Nov 5, 1996]

Similarly... Calling "BST" "GMT" does not make it GMT.

lyrecono
05-10-2016, 11:52 AM
yawn.....

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/02/34/9a/02349a60db26fa6d040cf6c3f5d984d4.jpg
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/55/5560c5519a1c06a83ba78b4755ac05d57f4ffb9342fdcf5fe8 d459970c52df76.jpg

Eryhn
05-10-2016, 11:53 AM
https://38.media.tumblr.com/9c36f4d2910427f1a0fd72a5935c3c6e/tumblr_mxahexMx5a1spk98uo1_500.gif

GlassCannon
05-10-2016, 11:57 AM

My fellow DDOers, the man is trying to say "The current step is not explicitly my job so I don't know. I'm doing what I can to speed it up and keep you informed but I cannot directly control the process so please wait. I'm right there with you, waiting to log in."

Please, be patient. The game will be up again... Soon™

enkka1
05-10-2016, 11:58 AM
And tech guys at DDo. If you think its broken, can you break it even more? YES YOU CAN!

[In this game we dont wait for the actual updates, we wait with anticipation what they managed to destroy this time]

GlassCannon
05-10-2016, 12:00 PM
Apparently Soon™ means right freakin' now!

Get in there!

GlassCannon
05-10-2016, 12:01 PM
And tech guys at DDo. If you think its broken, can you break it even more? YES YOU CAN!

[In this game we dont wait for the actual updates, we wait with anticipation what they managed to destroy this time]

Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

In this case, why not just throw the entire rack of them in all at once? :)

wnxlilith
05-10-2016, 12:13 PM
its up yay!!!!

Eryhn
05-10-2016, 12:13 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/iI6eeGjwScTCM/giphy.gif

Silverleafeon
05-10-2016, 12:21 PM
UPDATE: The game worlds have reopened. Thank you!

Galidur
05-10-2016, 12:22 PM
So what I'm taking away from this discussion is that people in the UK never get to work on time, because they never really know what time it is???

/runandhide

In fairness... I'm inclined to blame it on the lack of timely public transport.

Cordovan
05-10-2016, 12:23 PM
I appreciate that I historically have not been great at recognizing when Europe begins and ends its time zone shift relative to the U.S., but I do actually know my way around time zones. Here's a writeup I put together in 2013 for community employee use at Turbine, based in part on a great post SirValentine made back in the day during a similar discussion:

GMT never moves. It is not the same as English time or British Time.
Eastern Standard Time NEVER moves, and is always GMT -5.
Eastern Daylight Time NEVER moves, and is always GMT -4.

EASTERN TIME, which Turbine's headquarters actually operates in, moves, corresponding with EST in the winter, and EDT in the summer.

GMT is generally the most useful offset to use for the global audience.

Don't cause confusion! Whenever we "fall back", we are now on Eastern Standard Time, which means that downtime messaging should be GMT-5. After we "spring forward", we are now on GMT-4.

LOTRO has opted to localize downtime messaging to include the downtime time in whatever the actual time would be for France and Germany, which adds some additional layers of error possibility. Some things to note:

Typically, both France and Germany are six hours ahead of us. Except for when they are not.

During the gap between when the U.S. "springs forward" to observe Daylight Saving Time and the time that Germany and France move their clocks forward, these countries will be five hours ahead of us. During the gap between when Europe falls back (typically before the U.S. does) and the time the U.S. "falls back" to no longer observer Daylight Saving Time (and switch to Daylight Standard Time) they will again be five hours ahead of us. This gap may change every year, for 2013 for example:

U.S. - Daylight Saving runs from Sunday, March 10 Sunday, November 3
France/Germany - Sunday, March 31 to Sunday, October 27

SO: For 2013, between March 10 and March 31st, France and Germany would be five hours ahead of us, but still on MEZ (Germany) or MET (Middle European Time)/CET (Central European Time). Once France and Germany begin observing "summer time", they will once again be six hours ahead of us and the abbreviation becomes MESZ (summer added) and CEST (Central European Summer Time.)
Between October 27th and November 3rd, France and Germany will once again be five hours ahead of us, and on MEZ/CET while we remain on DST (Eastern Daylight Time, EDT.)

Here (http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/2016.html) is the link to the Daylight Saving calendar for 2016.

I would also say that I should be more consistent in linking to a "what time is it where I live" web site with the announcement. If I am posting from my phone, though, it's kind of a pain.

Garix
05-10-2016, 12:28 PM
I appreciate that I historically have not been great at recognizing when Europe begins and ends its time zone shift relative to the U.S., but I do actually know my way around time zones. Here's a writeup I put together in 2013 for community employee use at Turbine, based in part on a great post SirValentine made back in the day during a similar discussion:

GMT never moves. It is not the same as English time or British Time.
Eastern Standard Time NEVER moves, and is always GMT -5.
Eastern Daylight Time NEVER moves, and is always GMT -4.

EASTERN TIME, which Turbine's headquarters actually operates in, moves, corresponding with EST in the winter, and EDT in the summer.

GMT is generally the most useful offset to use for the global audience.

Don't cause confusion! Whenever we "fall back", we are now on Eastern Standard Time, which means that downtime messaging should be GMT-5. After we "spring forward", we are now on GMT-4.

LOTRO has opted to localize downtime messaging to include the downtime time in whatever the actual time would be for France and Germany, which adds some additional layers of error possibility. Some things to note:

Typically, both France and Germany are six hours ahead of us. Except for when they are not.

During the gap between when the U.S. "springs forward" to observe Daylight Saving Time and the time that Germany and France move their clocks forward, these countries will be five hours ahead of us. During the gap between when Europe falls back (typically before the U.S. does) and the time the U.S. "falls back" to no longer observer Daylight Saving Time (and switch to Daylight Standard Time) they will again be five hours ahead of us. This gap may change every year, for 2013 for example:

U.S. - Daylight Saving runs from Sunday, March 10 Sunday, November 3
France/Germany - Sunday, March 31 to Sunday, October 27

SO: For 2013, between March 10 and March 31st, France and Germany would be five hours ahead of us, but still on MEZ (Germany) or MET (Middle European Time)/CET (Central European Time). Once France and Germany begin observing "summer time", they will once again be six hours ahead of us and the abbreviation becomes MESZ (summer added) and CEST (Central European Summer Time.)
Between October 27th and November 3rd, France and Germany will once again be five hours ahead of us, and on MEZ/CET while we remain on DST (Eastern Daylight Time, EDT.)

Here (http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/2016.html) is the link to the Daylight Saving calendar for 2016.

I would also say that I should be more consistent in linking to a "what time is it where I live" web site with the announcement. If I am posting from my phone, though, it's kind of a pain.

Just use UTC instead :)

oldkraft2
05-10-2016, 12:30 PM
silly earthling fleshies ...
the time is now !
you can name all plants and animals and things why for the sake of the redshift cant you name 'NOW' ????
Have brain ! will use ?

Seikojin
05-10-2016, 12:31 PM
They could just post a UTC timestamp and let people math it up :)

Grinn
05-10-2016, 12:42 PM
How about a new announcement?

The Servers will be brought down <Day-Month-Year> at a time that will inconvenience some or many people.
The Servers will be brought back up when they're ready and not before.
Watch for the announcement.

<end-of-line>

That doesn't mess with any Chrono-impaired confusion and states it as it is.
You have been warned.:p

Duana
05-10-2016, 12:42 PM

You forgot Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)!

Might I suggest the system for ETA's I used in the military when I was working on something, for your consideration.

Job start - expediter asks about ETA, I say 6 hours.

Job start +1 hours - expediter asks about ETA, I say 6 hours.

Job start +2 hours - expediter asks about ETA, I say 6 hours.

Job start +2.5 hours - expediter asks about ETA, I say 6 hours. Expediter says that's what you said 30 minutes ago. I reply, yep and that is what it will be every time you drag my ass out here to answer your damn fool questions.

Job start +3 hours - Job is done.

Eventually expediter learned to stop asking me questions.

Natashaelle
05-10-2016, 12:45 PM
The UK has GMT, BST, UTC, or WET, depending on your attitude -- and Turbine's references seem typically try to be relative to UTC rather than to either of the other standards, which is extremely confusing.

Nobody in Europe however sets their clock to follow UTC, and there's a basic +1 versus GMT as well as a seasonally variable difference between WET and BST.

The typical legal time differential between Greenwich and Boston is 5 hours, not 4, because the legal time in Greenwich is WET not GMT.

That the legal time in the standard meridian should differ from the reference time is of course completely absurd, and it is a direct source of confusion to Europeans whenever any Americans insist on referring to GMT rather than to their own native time zones.

Cordovan
05-10-2016, 12:46 PM
I will be adding the following to the Official Known Issues/Public Notice Board, but figured I could also post it here:

The Iron Defender rare chest in Good Intentions does not unlock. The chest appears to open, but does not actually unlock. This will be corrected in the next patch.
Memoirs of an Illusory Larcener does not have a map by design (due to the illusory nature of the dungeon.)
The Optional Map in Search and Rescue is not currently available. The map will be available in the next patch.
Two enhancements will be added to the Fighter Kensei in the next patch, and one Core Enhancement will be updated:

Opportunity Attack: 2 Charges, Melee Attack: Deals +1/2/3[W] Damage. Your Melee Power is boosted by 10 for 6 seconds. Each time you damage an opponent, but no more than once per second, you have a 10% chance to add a charge up to a maximum of 2.
Liquid Courage: After drinking a potion or drink, increases Positive Healing Amplification 50 for 30 seconds
Core Skills:

Change Core Level 18 "One Cut" skill to the following: On Activate, Crit Multiplier Increase (Unique Bonus for 15 seconds, 60 second cooldown)

A further note on the map in Illusory Larcener: Due to the way the dungeon operates, it is not actually possible to make a map for the quest with our current tech. Technically, you aren't teleporting; the dungeon is. :)

Lerincho
05-10-2016, 01:02 PM
I will be adding the following to the Official Known Issues/Public Notice Board, but figured I could also post it here:

snip

A further note on the map in Illusory Larcener: Due to the way the dungeon operates, it is not actually possible to make a map for the quest with our current tech. Technically, you aren't teleporting; the dungeon is. :)

Still nothing regarding doppelganger in Haunted Halls? Obviously Turbine employees do not run this enough to understand that it is crippling to the quest. When 2 of every 3 runs has the issue, why run it at all?

AnEvenNewerNoob
05-10-2016, 01:05 PM
This is why I always wait until patch 1 to run new content. Since it almost never is correct the first time.
smh

lyrecono
05-10-2016, 01:09 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/iI6eeGjwScTCM/giphy.gif

You were right!

The Iron Defender rare chest in Good Intentions does not unlock. The chest appears to open, but does not actually unlock. This will be corrected in the next patch.
Memoirs of an Illusory Larcener does not have a map by design (due to the illusory nature of the dungeon.)
The Optional Map in Search and Rescue is not currently available. The map will be available in the next patch.
Two enhancements will be added to the Fighter Kensei in the next patch, and one Core Enhancement will be updated:

Opportunity Attack: 2 Charges, Melee Attack: Deals +1/2/3[W] Damage. Your Melee Power is boosted by 10 for 6 seconds. Each time you damage an opponent, but no more than once per second, you have a 10% chance to add a charge up to a maximum of 2.
Liquid Courage: After drinking a potion or drink, increases Positive Healing Amplification 50 for 30 seconds
Core Skills:

Change Core Level 18 "One Cut" skill to the following: On Activate, Crit Multiplier Increase (Unique Bonus for 15 seconds, 60 second cooldown)

another one on the list:
In out attempt to find nibbles the squirrel i fell outside of the map......kinda blue out there

Cordovan
05-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Still nothing regarding doppelganger in Haunted Halls? Obviously Turbine employees do not run this enough to understand that it is crippling to the quest. When 2 of every 3 runs has the issue, why run it at all?

I was talking to someone today about this. No promises, but yes, we are aware of it. It doesn't appear to actually be two out of every three runs, but it is often enough to be annoying.

Cordovan
05-10-2016, 01:15 PM
another one on the list:
In out attempt to find nibbles the squirrel i fell outside of the map......kinda blue out there

Can you provide any further information on this? Where were you when you found yourself outside of the map? Were you jumping on a wall, corner, rock/plant/whatever?

Lerincho
05-10-2016, 01:16 PM
I was talking to someone today about this. No promises, but yes, we are aware of it. It doesn't appear to actually be two out of every three runs, but it is often enough to be annoying.
Maybe not for those "aware" of the issue, but for those of us that run it, that has been the track record. So much so we head immediately there instead of doing anything else. Waited 2 hours once for GM, never doing it again.

lyrecono
05-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Can you provide any further information on this? Where were you when you found yourself outside of the map? Were you jumping on a wall, corner, rock/plant/whatever?

There is a stck of boxes on the open area with the golum, from the boxes you can jump to the roof

UurlockYgmeov
05-10-2016, 01:26 PM
this thread was, very amusing. :)

move along, the game is back up - back to the illusionary world where it can be very blue chasing squirrels into corners with plants.. ;p

Cordovan
05-10-2016, 01:29 PM
We're currently working on a hotfix to correct this issue: The new quest Memoirs of an Illusory Larcener cannot be completed if more than one human person is in the quest (hirelings are fine.)

Cordovan
05-10-2016, 01:30 PM
There is a stck of boxes on the open area with the golum, from the boxes you can jump to the roof

Thank you, much appreciated.

Zebedar
05-10-2016, 02:09 PM
Wake up Turbine, this kind of unprofessional and rushed update is killing the player population.

Eryhn
05-10-2016, 02:29 PM
another one on the list:

wish i could say im suprised.

this feeling of weirdness and embarassment it creates when being forced to be a bystander of self-destruction by sheer stupidity is really something you should in the future try to spare your customers ...

im curious, suppose player base and revenue are roughly cut in half at some point soon, will you then just close shop or belatedly consider changing a misguided operating policy?

count_spicoli
05-10-2016, 03:16 PM
This game is a complete disaster right now. Play at your own risk but i wont spend a dime until this thing gets itself in better shape.

RD2play
05-10-2016, 07:39 PM
snip....

Give it a "portable hole" graphic in the map?

Thrudh
05-10-2016, 10:00 PM
This game is a complete disaster right now. Play at your own risk but i wont spend a dime until this thing gets itself in better shape.

I had fun completing the new quests tonight... It really and truly is not because I'm a "fanboi"... Somehow, my experience is the exact opposite of yours. No disaster. Just fun.

cpw_acc
05-11-2016, 05:21 AM
In the meantime we can continue the debate about time zones

BST never matches GMT. It is always GMT+1.

I fell into my own trap :)

I guess the clue is in the name: BST (British Summer Time) is always GMT + 1 but only applies in summer (with a rather dubious definition of the word "summer")!

The rest of the year we follow GMT.

Obviously.

Who on earth designed this stuff...

twinstronglord
05-11-2016, 07:13 AM
This is why I always wait until patch 1 to run new content. Since it almost never is correct the first time.
smh

On that note, I STILL have not run DoJ.