PDA

View Full Version : Update 31 on Lamannia!

Cordovan
04-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Lamannia is now open with a preview of Update 31: Gnomework! Click here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/438926-Lamannia-Release-Notes-(Last-Updated-4-28-16)) for the Lamannia Release Notes, which will change over time.

Couple of notes:

Unfortunately, the Lamannia Character Copy tool is not functioning, and we continue to work to get it back into operation. So, no character copy, but also no character wipe this time around.
Ignore the text in the Lamannia launcher claiming to be from Middle Earth. Wat?
Two of the three quests are currently available, Good Intentions and Search and Rescue.
The Fighter Kensei has several text bugs, and may see further work on mechanics.
I will be on Lamannia from 3:00 - 5:00 PM Eastern today to help folks out in the Test Dojo.

vyvy3369
04-28-2016, 12:23 PM
The Fighter Kensei has several text bugs, and may see further work on mechanics.
I noticed in the release notes that the new Opportunity Attack wasn't listed in Tier 4. Kensei was already on the low end of Tier 4 abilities at only having 3 (most trees appear to have all 5). Critical Damage was removed from Tier 4 and merged into Critical Mastery at Tier 3. So that leaves Weapon Group Specialization and one Stat enhancement at Tier 4. There was also a secret enhancement for Tier 4 in the works, but that's not in the notes either. You mention that there may be further work on mechanics, does that mean that there may be more abilities coming, or do you mean that the abilities listed are what we're getting but those may be modified further?

Cordovan
04-28-2016, 12:29 PM
I noticed in the release notes that the new Opportunity Attack wasn't listed in Tier 4. Kensei was already on the low end of Tier 4 abilities at only having 3 (most trees appear to have all 5). Critical Damage was removed from Tier 4 and merged into Critical Mastery at Tier 3. So that leaves Weapon Group Specialization and one Stat enhancement at Tier 4. There was also a secret enhancement for Tier 4 in the works, but that's not in the notes either. You mention that there may be further work on mechanics, does that mean that there may be more abilities coming, or do you mean that the abilities listed are what we're getting but those may be modified further?

Yes, Opportunity Attack isn't in the build yet. Further work means additions and refinement.

elsmoor
04-28-2016, 12:32 PM
I have been waiting for this update with baited breath and am disappointed that Cannith is still not receiving the pass suggested before Update 30

Andu_Indorin
04-28-2016, 12:39 PM
I see no big correction to the new Random Loot System. That is to say, instead of good old English, the new loot system will continue to be in Thesaurus-ese.

Can we expect any changes of the atrocious language use in the new Random Loot System? I would volunteer my services as a copy editor!

And ditto the Cannith crafting. Any hopes in the future?

Still, I am very much looking forward to the Kensei

Enoach
04-28-2016, 12:45 PM
I particularly liked seeing

The DDO Store Crashing Game
- Hope to hear if this does fix the issue for those that have been experiencing this problem

The Default setting for Volume added to the Settings
- I'm ok with setting the default to 75% but for me just having the ability to set its default is the big winner in my book

Of course yesterday I just did a reincarnation of my Deep Gnome - now I'll have to ER with Update 31 just to see the new beard options :)

I'm not sure what is meant by the projectile offset... I do know that my Gnome seems to be able to grab on lower then the top edge of stuff when I climb, is this what is meant? or is using a bow/throwing weapon have the starting point higher like its starting point is above a Gnomes head - Sorry I have only played a wizard as a Gnome and obviously was not paying attention when I needed to pull out something to throw at a lever/switch.

DagazUlf
04-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Only had a couple minutes to log on and check things out, but there are a few things that stood out right away:

- Kensei, Tier 2 Enhancement titled "Conditioning". The Fortification bonus does not seem to apply at all
- loads of string table errors in the description text for a lot of the new items
- Every existing thing in my inventory and most everything on my hotbars has a numeral 1 superimposed in the middle of it

http://i.imgur.com/7svIxlZ.jpg

DagazUlf
04-28-2016, 01:04 PM
- Everything existing thing in my inventory and most everything on my hotbars has a numeral 1 superimposed in the middle of it

This must be some kind of timer-related thing. If you activate an ability with a cool-down, the 1 is removed from that ability. However, everything else on your hotbars regains the 1 if it had been removed.

The_Human_Cypher
04-28-2016, 01:17 PM
Lamannia is now open with a preview of Update 31: Gnomework! Click here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/438926-Lamannia-Release-Notes-(Last-Updated-4-28-16)) for the Lamannia Release Notes, which will change over time.

Couple of notes:

Unfortunately, the Lamannia Character Copy tool is not functioning, and we continue to work to get it back into operation. So, no character copy, but also no character wipe this time around.
Ignore the text in the Lamannia launcher claiming to be from Middle Earth. Wat?
Two of the three quests are currently available, Good Intentions and Search and Rescue.
I will be on Lamannia from 3:00 - 5:00 PM Eastern today to help folks out in the Test Dojo.

So Umber Hulks have been added to the existing quest, Temple of Elemental Evil, but do not appear in any of the three new quests? Does that mean we might get Myconids in the TOEE end fight some day? ;)

Graskitch
04-28-2016, 01:26 PM
omg. how exciting - new beards are available!!!! yay.

I might need to reincarnate some of my characters, finally using my lesser reincarnation hearts. I am tempted to go onto lammania to see these new beards.

I do not have gnome yet, but wow - that is awesome that 6 new beards have been made available.

DagazUlf
04-28-2016, 01:31 PM
This must be some kind of timer-related thing. If you activate an ability with a cool-down, the 1 is removed from that ability. However, everything else on your hotbars regains the 1 if it had been removed.

Actually, to go along with this, swapping clothing items on the hotbars is not working correctly. If you slightly jiggle your hot bar around, then you can switch items, but then to switch back you have to jiggle your whole hotbar around again. Something is, what's the technical word... wonky?

Cordovan
04-28-2016, 01:41 PM
So Umber Hulks have been added to the existing quest, Temple of Elemental Evil, but do not appear in any of the three new quests? Does that mean we might get Myconids in the TOEE end fight some day? ;)

They're also in at least some of the new content.

Graskitch
04-28-2016, 01:50 PM
It is cool that umber hulks were added to an existing quest.

but yes, it would be very cool to see myconids added to TOEE in the future. I would like to see Zuggtmoy's army of fungi debut.

with gnomes, it is even more compelling that mushrooms should be featured in future updates.

Cordovan
04-28-2016, 02:15 PM
So, the new hide armor has an...interesting...look that takes minimalism to a new level. The correct art asset is incoming.

Steve_Howe
04-28-2016, 02:59 PM
so, the new hide armor has an...interesting...look that takes minimalism to a new level. The correct art asset is incoming.

ssoidh

Gratch
04-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Any chance of new illusion DC spells [check any of the 30 threads for suggestions] with the next iteration or in a patch? The pack is called GnomeWork! and the lack of iillusion spells (only 2 DC ones in game) is why [illusionist] gnomes don't work.

Character Bios can now be up to 1200 characters.

Any chance of adding a player-only viewable "Account Bio Tab" of 1200 characters that is the same across all characters per server account? For those who play from different computers or don't want to pull up notepad but want to keep tabs on who has what item or shadowcrypt directions or builds or reminders ...?

rsking
04-28-2016, 03:27 PM
when will character copy be up?

Franghasea
04-28-2016, 04:16 PM
Greetings!
Spoiler Alert:

Search and Rescue
* I enjoyed this new quest overall. It had a new feeling to it.
* I think I may have fought every monster in the DDO Forgotten Realms except Giants and Shadovar in this quest, and that is ok by me.
* The music and ambiance was enjoyable.
* There was no map in the Drow Underground optional.
* The surprise floor was a good laugh.
* For the one and done first time bonus crowd the xp was ok, but for the xp/min group this quest will likely not be run if the xp remains the same, and that would be unfortunate as it is a really nice quest.
* Can the landing spot in ES when you recall from the quest be A LOT closer to the quest giver, please?
* The loading screen for the quest is currently "The House of Death Undone". Given the Drow optional I guess it's ok, but without doing the optional, it not really intuitive.
* That dead thing, kind of hidden in that corner. Is that the next monster that we will be fighting?

Good Intentions
* I really wanted to like this quest, but I just could not change my mindset from, here we are, reusing yet another quest. I vote for NOT doing this anymore.
* Summoning the Mabar creature was humorous, but someone REALLY does seem to have an obsession. Less is more with her.
* The loading screen for the quest is currently "The House of Death Undone" also.
* The various *new* inanimate objects were humorous.

Kensai Changes
* I am not normally a melee player, so I do not have a lot of insight on this topic.
* I have a cleric/fighter/rogue hybrid I would have ported over to try some of the changes and provide insights, but I am not comfortable enough with the tree to create and comment on this topic with a new alt.

In Closing
Perhaps I need to change my mentality about a pack usually being a close knit group of quests exploring a particular region or topic. There is a scope of *THIS is an update* that comes with that. Perhaps this is the *resources were busy with the data center move issues, so please take that into consideration Update*.

I eagerly look forward to Cannith Crafting, whenever it comes. For the record, I'd gladly pay for another CITW-like expansion if it would provide a coherent set of quests and a raid that are all new, made with the same care and quality, exploring a continent on Eberron, elsewhere in the Forgotten Realms, or where ever the amazing development team at DDO takes us.

Franghasea

Nachomammashouse
04-28-2016, 06:33 PM
can you give us an update on the status of the cannith crafting pass?

The_Human_Cypher
04-28-2016, 06:42 PM
can you give us an update on the status of the cannith crafting pass?

"The Cannith crafting revision will be ready when it's ready."

PsychoBlonde
04-28-2016, 08:47 PM
I did a quick run through both quests, and they were enjoyable, although I wish it'd given me some sort of clue as to where Nibbles the Squirrel was in Good Intentions. Does he spawn randomly or is he always in the same spot?

I wouldn't complain of reusing quest areas:

1. It's a cheaper way to get new quests
2. The re-used area is a p2p quest, this new one is f2p. I think adding more f2p content by reusing p2p is a great idea. There are already a number of quests in the game (Invaders, HIPS, Chronoscope) where this was done. No big deal.
3. The choice isn't between an all-new quest and a reused one. It's between having a reused one, and having NO QUEST.

Also, did you guys SERIOUSLY make us fight a GAZEBO?

Draculetta
04-28-2016, 09:25 PM
Enjoyed both quests... (I'll keep it spoiler free)

Search and Rescue
This was my favorite of the 2 I think.. It "Seemed" like a good ol fashioned Dungeon crawl.. Which is a good thing. I enjoyed the boss at end.. We need more of that...
Music was great as well!
First look at the Umber Hulk... I liked the model for them.. and they seemed to fight in the way I would think they would...

Good Intentions
Cute story.. Was laughing a few times with the The various *new* inanimate objects
I'm hoping the squirrel was a slight nod to Boo
Enjoyed seeing an old friend again...
And the object in the end was great.. Another nod I hope.. as It was too funny.. Someone plays munchkin on the dev team I think :)

The_Human_Cypher
04-28-2016, 10:12 PM
I did a quick run through both quests, and they were enjoyable, although I wish it'd given me some sort of clue as to where Nibbles the Squirrel was in Good Intentions. Does he spawn randomly or is he always in the same spot?

I hope Nibbles spawns randomly. The Iron Key in the Search and Rescue optional does spawn randomly as I did that quest twice (I have only done Good Intentions once so far). We need more random elements in quests as dev time allows; this prevents the quests from becoming walk throughs.

The choice isn't between an all-new quest and a reused one. It's between having a reused one, and having NO QUEST.

It shouldn't have to be a choice but these quests are still somewhat original. Update 32 and the next classic dungeon around that time (Halloween) should not be a re-hash, or at least they better not be.

Yes.

CaptainPurge
04-29-2016, 12:33 AM
Thought it was funny they filled a quest with constructs immediately after the rise of PK gnome builds.
Also, Epic Riftmaker still not applying "an extra 2 to 12 force damage each hit".

xaul17
04-29-2016, 02:20 AM
So, in Sane Asylum, Durk says Sonething along the lines of "worse than a gazebo, that is." I don't think it's by mere coincidence that Durk shows up in the quest where you actually fight a gazebo...

I have a funny feeling yall have been planning this for a long time...

the_one_dwarfforged
04-29-2016, 02:36 AM
not sure if this is a bug or if im doing something wrong, but my pure fighter on lamma has less mp than my pure paladin on live.

discounting mp buffs they both have...

fighter: 20 kensei + 10 feats + 2 ring of prowess = 32

paladin: 15 kotc + 3 harper = 18

outside of those 5 things they are exactly the same, meaning my fighter build should have 14 more mp than my paladin build at this point in time, but it in fact has 4 less...so...whats up with that?

kensei t4 needs to be fleshed out. hopefully opportunity (for improvement) attack and the secret defensive (hjeal) enhancement are out for inspection soon.

one cut needs to be given reconstructive surgery or removed. reed in the wind is still garbage.

buffing deadly strike to either no require vorpal for the 500 scaling damage or having a lower cooldown would be nice. if you leave it as is im thinking 6 second cd is appropriate. sure its an auto crit, but honestly even on a thf build you can get way more than 1 crit in 20 seconds without any alacrity effects or even cleaving, and yes fighter now has a +1 multiplier...but it just means fighters will be using falchions and will only have average crit multi, so auto crit isnt a big deal. the good part of this ability is the scaling dmg, it just needs to not be on vorpal or on a 20 second cd because those two SERIOUSLY dilute its power to almost not even worth the ap status. actually. maybe 6 second cd and no vorpal bs. then id definitely want it.

the multi selector for prr wasnt showing up in this round. iirc that was on the dodge enhancement right? that is still requiring the dodge feat. why are you going to tax a feat, which is going to be 100% wasted since fighter is going to be wearing a 17% dodge item and not even come close to raising mdb that high, which is for an unrelated stat for 6 whole prr? that doesnt seem incredibly steep to you?

extra action boosts and tactics are still 2 ap per tier. these really need to be reduced to 1 ap per tier, or their bonuses need to be doubled.

what is the deal with the weapon spec enhancements? the tier one didnt get buffed like the others. the tier 2 used to be +4 dmg for thf, and now its only +3, while 1h remained +2 dmg. ***? can you at least give me a good reason for this?

you really should put some restrictions on the t5s in kensei...right now any class can get +1/1 crit and +20 mp with 6 fighter levels. paladin takes 20 levels to get +1/1 crit and +15 mp. barb takes 20 levels to get +2/0/1 crit and +25 mp. ranger takes 12 levels to get +1/1 crit and is restricted to one combat style, requires full 20 levels to get +10 mp. either put restrictions, or you will need to be very very very careful going forward. i think 15/5 pal/ftr is already going to be a potential build that will abuse the lack of restrictions on both holy sword and one with the blade. that build should be clearly superior dps to pure paladin (except against undead perhaps?) and a lot better at self healing than a pure fighter, though perhaps not as much dps (if so and then by how much remains to be seen).

other than that, im kinda happy with the kensei buffs so far. to hit with some gear slots missing (but the +28 attack ring) is much higher than my barb or pally builds, so thats a dps advantage for fighter in the highest level content, which i like.

the multiplier is very nice to have, been a long time coming.

the amount of boosts that fighters get is awesome, love it. another dps advantage for fighters, they have so many boosts over paladin and ranger its not even funny, and still got plenty over barb, they should be able to boost through whole dungeons with minimal shrining.

strike at the heart and shattering strike are very nice. id raise the +[w] on shattering strike to +3/4/5 or +1/3/5 to actually incentivize more than 1 rank in it.

power surge (and alacrity too, i guess) is awesome. at first i was thinking that id rather just be getting bigger bonuses directly to strength, but its ok as is. nice bonus right to str, bonus to kta that always grants an integer bonus, and a decent buff to hp. that hp really makes a difference.

thf pure fighter is almost at 200 prr before blitz. i like it. a lot.

CaptainPurge
04-29-2016, 06:41 AM
Only had a couple minutes to log on and check things out, but there are a few things that stood out right away:

- Kensei, Tier 2 Enhancement titled "Conditioning". The Fortification bonus does not seem to apply at all
- loads of string table errors in the description text for a lot of the new items
- Every existing thing in my inventory and most everything on my hotbars has a numeral 1 superimposed in the middle of it

http://i.imgur.com/7svIxlZ.jpg

This happened to me right after using the new loot cabinet "chest" in the dojo but I wasn't able to reproduce it on a different character.

Maquist
04-29-2016, 07:15 AM
My wife wanted me to report that she approves of adding more beards for the humans. She updated Lamannia last night specifically to check out the new beard options.

cdbd3rd
04-29-2016, 08:21 AM
They're also in at least some of the new content.

And more options for future MM volumes. :o

...?

LightBear
04-29-2016, 09:20 AM
My wife wanted me to report that she approves of adding more beards for the humans. She updated Lamannia last night specifically to check out the new beard options.

I can only imagine her disappointment when she finds out these beards only go on the chin. ;)

Seikojin
04-29-2016, 10:13 AM
My initial thoughts: Kensai changes are good, but not really a big game changer. I think if the capstone included an additional +1 crit multiplier, that activating boosts didn't interrupt combat, and the vorpal strike granted a passive damage boost to the weapon die (in addition to vorpal when active), it may be properly fitted for those enhancements.

As it stands, taking kensai and vanguard as far as you can, you can do great, but it doesn't really increase test dps times in kensais favor much. I don't best of the best my gear loadouts for my responses because it goes against the common loadout. I have a couple of t2 thunderforged (didn't make any lgs yet) and my drop times before and after were around 150-155 seconds on the non-boss kobolds without making them helpess and 145 - 150 making them helpless. Blitz on 10 all the time, sense weakness, spamming attacks intelligently to min max animation speeds.

I think I could drop it a bit more if I were to either be in fury or crusader due to how they hit soo hard in bursts.

Will do the quests this weekend.

Frogger1234
04-29-2016, 10:33 AM

I hope there is an NPC named Eric (http://www.dndadventure.com/html/articles/gaming_stories.html) in that quest as well.

Also, is the Gazebo in the Monster Manual?

Cordovan
04-29-2016, 10:45 AM
This happened to me right after using the new loot cabinet "chest" in the dojo but I wasn't able to reproduce it on a different character.

I too have been unable to reproduce this. How many folks are running into an issue where all of their inventory items are displaying a 1?

--//--

Separately, we did want to let folks know that we are aware that the DPS boost in Kensei isn't where we want it yet, and it's something we're working on.

DagazUlf
04-29-2016, 12:10 PM
Spent a little more time checking things out and have some additional comments on Kensei.

Firstly, I was about to post that my DPS seems very, very marginally increased over what I currently have on Live with the same character, but I see that Cordovan has just commented on that. Thanks. :)

Next, I can't wait to see the Opportunity Attack and whatever the other enhancement will be. Right now, it's a weak tree with those elements missing.

The AP costs for the Tactics bonus seems a bit over-priced. I'm not seeing a good value-to-cost ratio there.

One Cut really needs a good evaluation. It's predominately useless and seems like a great candidate to be re-worked into something interesting.

Deadly Strike having that vorpal requirement makes it very unlikely to be selected. That's just too many requirements for something that will be unlikely to even equal your normal damage output in the same amount of time. There's really no gain to ever using that ability.

Thanks.

PsychoBlonde
04-29-2016, 12:14 PM

I was having that identical issue (stuff getting stuck on 1 for a long time). It was happening whenever anything went on a timer (like when I used a clickie or similar). They'd count down to 1 and just sit there. It was only a display issue, but it was weird.

CaptainPurge
04-29-2016, 09:10 PM
Greetings!
Spoiler Alert:

Search and Rescue
* Can the landing spot in ES when you recall from the quest be A LOT closer to the quest giver, please?

If you finish out it lands you at the cart/quest giver.
If you recall out it lands you at the cart/quest giver.
Likely you finished the quest, DDoor'd and took the entrance to exit, which lands you near the well.

Eryhn
04-29-2016, 09:11 PM
buffing deadly strike to either no require vorpal for the 500 scaling damage or having a lower cooldown would be nice. if you leave it as is im thinking 6 second cd is appropriate. sure its an auto crit, but honestly even on a thf build you can get way more than 1 crit in 20 seconds without any alacrity effects or even cleaving, and yes fighter now has a +1 multiplier...but it just means fighters will be using falchions and will only have average crit multi, so auto crit isnt a big deal. the good part of this ability is the scaling dmg, it just needs to not be on vorpal or on a 20 second cd because those two SERIOUSLY dilute its power to almost not even worth the ap status. actually. maybe 6 second cd and no vorpal bs. then id definitely want it.

you really should put some restrictions on the t5s in kensei...right now any class can get +1/1 crit and +20 mp with 6 fighter levels. paladin takes 20 levels to get +1/1 crit and +15 mp. barb takes 20 levels to get +2/0/1 crit and +25 mp. ranger takes 12 levels to get +1/1 crit and is restricted to one combat style, requires full 20 levels to get +10 mp. either put restrictions, or you will need to be very very very careful going forward. i think 15/5 pal/ftr is already going to be a potential build that will abuse the lack of restrictions on both holy sword and one with the blade. that build should be clearly superior dps to pure paladin (except against undead perhaps?) and a lot better at self healing than a pure fighter, though perhaps not as much dps (if so and then by how much remains to be seen).

so you want a tier5 buffed some more and at same time want it higher restricted on all tier5s? can you maybe look a bit further than your pure or 18/ or 17/ fighter?
the +1 competence to both crit range and multi merely makes some MC flavor builds that otherwise get no enhancement based crit bonuses AT ALL draw even. and in that regard it is very nice to have it accessible at lv6. the cirt bonuses dont stack with other trees bonuses, its all competence, so i dont see the issue with that at all. I dont see the 15/5 pally fighter to be so gamebreaking either. yeah sure, you can synergize some MP and have a higher net gain total compared to pure pally but you also lock yourself out of kotc tier5 cleaves and stuff. sure, it will boost that specific pally build some more too, but tempests and barbs are still ahead by some probably.

the only issue that i see is that the tree gets very strong in the lvl 7-12 heroic range compared to other melee classes as those usually get their crit bonuses at lvl 12ish. but rly, heroics has been trivialized either way, and if its an issue regardless id prefer the restriction be totall level based rather than fighter level. (i.e) tier5s 5 lvl fighter, can only take at character lvl 10/12+) but thats really minor point.

what i do agree with is that if the overall dmg output for fighter is intended to be increased YET further (as indicated), i would THEN like to see that ADDED dps rather in the high cores for lvl18/20 than in the tier5s.
it would be nice if there could be a balance between using the pass to give some MC fighter splashes that so far, by and large just benefit of number of feats, haste boost, extra action boost & tactics some help to draw even via crit enhance they otherwise cannot attain, while at the same time, yes, giving purer builds the dps it deserves.

6 lvls gets u tier5s and crit range/multi
8 gets you marginally bettter feat options
12 gets you the surge and with that placement locks out some other classes higher lvl requirement things

that seems pretty solid distribution actually. so if the dps is supposed to go yet higher put it in cores 18,20, not buff the tier5 to crazy levels, we had that with tempest already and its win but not in a good way balance wise...

if there is the wish for a better clicky attack than deadly strike, why not actually add to lvl18 core some active clicky attack of decent power?

edit: or maybe make some of the tier5 active clickies somehow scale with 6/9/12/15/18 fighter level so that those things get stronger automatically the more you invest into the class ...for instance the *scales with X melee power could be tiered by actual fighter levels ...

or put a cooldown decrease in that scales on fighter level, that would be very powerful boon to highly invested builds ...

the_one_dwarfforged
04-29-2016, 11:13 PM
so you want a tier5 buffed some more and at same time want it higher restricted on all tier5s? can you maybe look a bit further than your pure or 18/ or 17/ fighter?
the +1 competence to both crit range and multi merely makes some MC flavor builds that otherwise get no enhancement based crit bonuses AT ALL draw even. and in that regard it is very nice to have it accessible at lv6. the cirt bonuses dont stack with other trees bonuses, its all competence, so i dont see the issue with that at all. I dont see the 15/5 pally fighter to be so gamebreaking either. yeah sure, you can synergize some MP and have a higher net gain total compared to pure pally but you also lock yourself out of kotc tier5 cleaves and stuff. sure, it will boost that specific pally build some more too, but tempests and barbs are still ahead by some probably.

you yourself directly address evidence that i am looking past my own playstyle and builds.

i do want a t5 (deadly strike) buffed. i do want more restrictions than what we are going to have on some of the t5s (one with the blade and keen edge). im not using any potential or actual buff to deadly strike as justification for such restrictions. i think +20 mp and +1 crit range is a lot for only 30 ap and 5 class levels. im not saying they should be restricted so you have to have 17 or 18 fighter levels, that would be a ridiculous extreme, but having no restrictions other than being t5s is also a ridiculous extreme.

yes, most crit bonuses are typed as competence to prevent stacking too many of them together. potentially though, turbine could add enough power to another class not in the form of crit mods that said class with a 6 fighter splash to round it out becomes op. i think its better to shut the door on that now by making owtb and ke less free, thats all.

kensei t5 >>>>>>>>>>> pally t5. seriously? avenging cleave? +3[w] is not that much only once every 6 seconds. +5 (at least) mp all the time is a lot.

Eryhn
04-29-2016, 11:46 PM
no, true indeed kotc5 is weaker. the 5MP increase isnt as much as you make it though either considering what numbers of MP are reachable either way.

yeah one day, in autumn or winter or next year we might get a warpriest pass and then potentially 14/6 cleric fighters wipe the floor with barbs due to some weird synergy, maybe. right now though 6 fighter open OPTIONS for melee clerics. same with elf AAs whose crit core is STILL broken. maybe with kensei core lvl6 you could tinker around that on some non min maxed flavor builds and actually come up with something decent. for reasons like that ( and im sure other examples could be found) i think right NOW, its practical for various non super op builds to be able to pick up their crit enhance and multi with 6 fighter - its a reasonable investment towards some dps equality and splicing 6 fighter on some stuff DOES cost u something else.

On the other hand, there's always gonna be some op min max builds that are taylored towards maximum gains from splits and find some sweetspot that makes them too strong balance wise. yeah, those might happen with this. but I dont see them happening and creating more balance issues than other stuff we have had, rather less. at the same time this potentially SOLVES a lot of balance problems for weaker split builds and thats what i like about the current version...

maybe, if there is an issue, it lies more with the 20 MP/RP than with the crit enhance. that could be scaled to class levels, just like the attack clickies, or it could be split into 10/10 and half go into a core, or w/e

well, my biased 5cents, i wanna save my non optimal but fun 12/6/2 or 13/5/2 cleric/fighter/pally options from too many restrictions when it just looked like it could get to marginally acceptable dps w/o being forced to take 8 fighter XD

edit: now, you might argue its not smart in an overall balance design sense to do the kensei now with stuff like I mentioned in mind, as it should be a more comprehensive pass that like you said invests in the future balance by precluding this or that from happening that later breaks balance and that is generally speaking quit true. However I dont remember such an approach having been taken with tempest tier5s. They are out there now, as are various other things that allow huge increase in power at comperatively low investments, if you build around them smartly. at this point in time I dont see a more overarching balance pass to all trees happening anytime soon that closes all these loopholes for OP builds, it was in fact stated that we gonna have to make do with more small step tidbit tree cleanups for now. keeping that in mind, yeah, I'd rather have some more diversity options for more average builds, of a similar style than tempest offers, than deny kensei such in the name of some overall balance of super strong builds that long went out the window anyways. all the more so since as it looks now its not like a pally/kensei split is gonna out dps anything that currently is srsly op ...

Andu_Indorin
04-30-2016, 04:43 AM
Am I the only whose Kensei enhancement board does not sync with the reported changes?

On Tier 2/3, both Improved Dodge and Athletic Mastery are still requiring 2 ap per increase.
On Tier 2, two of three of the ascetic training still require 2 ap per increase.
On Tier 2, I see no Improved Defense Option. (Though I'm too bothered by that. Kensei should be focused on nimble attacks, not stalwart defense.)
On Tier 4, I do see Strike at the Heart, which is not mentioned in the release notes. A formidable enhancement!

I hope I have been tactful in point out these issues. ;)

the_one_dwarfforged
04-30-2016, 03:47 PM
according to release notes and the official thread, weapon focus group tier 3 is supposed to give +4 dmg to two handers. on lamma its only saying its giving +2.

according to the official thread weapon focus group tier 4 had its feat requirement lowered to weapon focus while all others tiers had feat requirements removed. this isnt the case on lamma. its funny how whether this is wai or not, +3 hit/dmg requires multiple feats and 8 fighter, while +1 crit range and +20 mp only require 5 fighter.

Grailhawk
04-30-2016, 06:12 PM
kensei t5 >>>>>>>>>>> pally t5. seriously? avenging cleave? +3[w] is not that much only once every 6 seconds. +5 (at least) mp all the time is a lot.

Holy Retribution (the aoe insta kill) is the real selling point of Paladin tier 5.

That said I would say that's true about every class that has had a pass. Paladin has the worst class trees of the all the class that have had there pass, but that's by design they put most of the power that Paladin's get in to the class itself.

I don't think 15/5 Paladin/Kensei is any better then 15/5 Paladin/Tempest actually pretty sure the tempest paladin is better then the Kensei. If anything it gives THF Paladin's a 15/5 option that is closer in DPS to the 15/5 Tempest then pure.

+1 Crit Multiplier and Threat +20 Melee power about equal to Exploit Weakness and Swashbuckling (+2-3 Crit Threat on average and +1 Crit Multiplier) It might actually be weaker more often then its better. Personally I like that 6 Fighter makes any other class a good melee, you are right though that that much power for so few class levels could become very problematic in the future, only reason I think we are ok is because we are done with all the melee class passes other then Monk and I'm pretty sure what ever they do to Monk will not effect weapons out side of Handwraps, Staffs, and Shortswords and I expect all of them to perfer tier 5's from there tress then from Kensei.

Qhualor
04-30-2016, 06:37 PM

Couple of notes:

[ The Fighter Kensei has several text bugs, and may see further work on mechanics.

according to release notes and the official thread, weapon focus group tier 3 is supposed to give +4 dmg to two handers. on lamma its only saying its giving +2.

according to the official thread weapon focus group tier 4 had its feat requirement lowered to weapon focus while all others tiers had feat requirements removed. this isnt the case on lamma. its funny how whether this is wai or not, +3 hit/dmg requires multiple feats and 8 fighter, while +1 crit range and +20 mp only require 5 fighter.

but is it really giving +2?

Steve_Howe
04-30-2016, 06:51 PM
The AP costs for the Tactics bonus seems a bit over-priced. I'm not seeing a good value-to-cost ratio there.

Agreed. There's absolutely NO WAY that Tactics enhancements (from ANY source) should cost 2 APs each...no friggin' way!

Steve_Howe
04-30-2016, 06:54 PM
Am I the only whose Kensei enhancement board does not sync with the reported changes?

On Tier 2/3, both Improved Dodge and Athletic Mastery are still requiring 2 ap per increase.
On Tier 2, two of three of the ascetic training still require 2 ap per increase.

Wow. Really? :rolleyes:

the_one_dwarfforged
04-30-2016, 10:30 PM
Holy Retribution (the aoe insta kill) is the real selling point of Paladin tier 5.

That said I would say that's true about every class that has had a pass. Paladin has the worst class trees of the all the class that have had there pass, but that's by design they put most of the power that Paladin's get in to the class itself.

I don't think 15/5 Paladin/Kensei is any better then 15/5 Paladin/Tempest actually pretty sure the tempest paladin is better then the Kensei. If anything it gives THF Paladin's a 15/5 option that is closer in DPS to the 15/5 Tempest then pure.

+1 Crit Multiplier and Threat +20 Melee power about equal to Exploit Weakness and Swashbuckling (+2-3 Crit Threat on average and +1 Crit Multiplier) It might actually be weaker more often then its better. Personally I like that 6 Fighter makes any other class a good melee, you are right though that that much power for so few class levels could become very problematic in the future, only reason I think we are ok is because we are done with all the melee class passes other then Monk and I'm pretty sure what ever they do to Monk will not effect weapons out side of Handwraps, Staffs, and Shortswords and I expect all of them to perfer tier 5's from there tress then from Kensei.

personally i dont like holy ret as it uses charges of dm and ive never really used it in epics (or heroics honestly, think i tried it out for about 5 minutes one life...) but i doubt the dc is high enough to instakill anything really and i dont find it to be worth the ap as just a dps clicky, especially considering its the kind that interrupts the basic attack animation.

i definitely dont think 15/5 pal/ftr is better for twf than 15/5 pal/rgr. i definitely think the ftr version is for thf/swf only. i think kensei and swash are about even for mcs. kensei doesnt restrict you to niche weapons or only one fighting style and gives you a lot of mp, while swash costs less levels and ap.

but is it really giving +2?

didnt have time to test when i noticed it and posted. that is why i phrased it the way i did.

at 96 mp it was making a 6 point difference in max damage on glancing blows. honestly i dont know how to do math, so idk if that means its applying +2 or +4 or something else.

Grailhawk
05-01-2016, 12:52 AM
personally i dont like holy ret as it uses charges of dm and ive never really used it in epics (or heroics honestly, think i tried it out for about 5 minutes one life...) but i doubt the dc is high enough to instakill anything really and i dont find it to be worth the ap as just a dps clicky, especially considering its the kind that interrupts the basic attack animation.

Would have agreed with that until about 6-7 months ago when I did a 12/6/2 cleric life never went into epic with it no clue if the DC can hold up in there but it's a lot better then a lot of people think.

BigErkyKid
05-01-2016, 03:14 AM
Would have agreed with that until about 6-7 months ago when I did a 12/6/2 cleric life never went into epic with it no clue if the DC can hold up in there but it's a lot better then a lot of people think.

I can answer to this. It is completely OP in heroics (one shots big groups of mobs, perhaps not in IQ but everywhere else all the way to 18-cap), it is very much useless in epics (damage is capped, it doesn't one shot an epic rat...). It is one of those poorly balanced abilities.

As for the changes, I am not sure that 15 paladin / 5 fighter isn't just superior to 20 fighter. It is the mistake of making HS a spell and not an exclusive enhancement that keeps coming back time and again.

As for swash splashes being comparable to 6 fighter, I frankly disagree. Swash splashes are incredibly limiting to the point that I have yet to see very successful /3 bard builds. The limitations are too great for what it gives. Now for a straight out DPS build, perhaps the 12 bard / 8 fighter will be a beast now (or more balanced 12/6/2 with rogue). Saves not so great but they will have the best critical profile in the game (arguably not by much) and some nice buffs and heals.

It will also boost very nicely war priests, war mages and all those arcane warriors that were simply abandoned because they sucked. Aside from some heals and displacement sadly enough the magic warriors will be probably still much behind since the value of spells and buffs has diminished tremendously over the years with power creep and stat inflation.

So to sum it up, it opens some possibilities (which is good) and it makes fighter more viable, but I am not sure it is truly worth playing a fighter from a min max perspective even after this buff.

BigErkyKid
05-01-2016, 05:52 AM
Some boss kobold beat down times here:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/475003-U31-Boss-kobold-beatdowns?p=5820818#post5820818

I tried to build something reasonable, with OK gear but played mostly with auto attack and no optimal boost management.

Under those conditions the fighter doesn't seem to perform even better than a swash, but arguably I gave the fighter a harder time (auto attack with THF is worse than with SWF). More timings would be appreciated!

sjbb87
05-01-2016, 06:15 PM
Waiting for motal fear rework....

Seikojin
05-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Thinking about Kensai changes, I think to buff it up, adding an additional +1 multiplier in either the 18 core or 20 core would do the trick. I would venture more to 20 to make it the choice between S&B builds and SWF/TWF/THF builds.

Rhysem
05-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Lamannia went down with an intentional shutdown earlier. Are there new release notes and a new build?

Holleyz
05-03-2016, 03:53 PM
So, the new hide armor has an...interesting...look that takes minimalism to a new level. The correct art asset is incoming.

Where can this armor be found? What is the name of it? I WANT IT!

Augon
05-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Where can this armor be found? What is the name of it? I WANT IT!
The box in the center of the room where you normally get gear.

adrian69
05-03-2016, 08:12 PM

It's DC is cool up to about Epic GH Elite, but tethers off. However, I never tried maxing it back then within that six months after the paladin pass, but the -6 stats is nice--if it still works on bosses and that is WAI.

Holleyz
05-03-2016, 08:18 PM
The box in the center of the room where you normally get gear.

cool thanks, I must have overlooked it as I didn't see anything that looked "minimal look" unless he was talking about there not being anything on the armor as far as enhancements or buffs go?

irnimnode
05-03-2016, 11:37 PM
When did they close Lamannia?

Gratch
05-04-2016, 12:59 PM
When did they close Lamannia?

Hopefully a new build with quest refinement any other quests and the updates to Kensei is coming soon.

Also I heard SteelVarg is going to surprise us with 4 new illusion spells in the new build. I'm starting this rumor and harping on this issue just cuz IconicWizardGnomes.

Elsbet
05-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Any estimate on when character copy will be back up?

Augon
05-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Any estimate on when character copy will be back up?

From another thread...

We are hoping to get Lamannia Character Copy working again in the future, but the data center move seems to have caused some significant issues with it.

Apparently, no ETA. :(

Augon
05-04-2016, 08:56 PM
cool thanks, I must have overlooked it as I didn't see anything that looked "minimal look" unless he was talking about there not being anything on the armor as far as enhancements or buffs go?

I got so much stuff from that box that I had to throw away some things to get it all to fit. The armor in question is called Hide something or other - Dont remember its name exactly, but I know it had hide in the name. You have to equip it to see what he is talking about and its pretty much just shoulder pads. :)

Burdigalos
05-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Hi there,
I would like to know what is the plan for cannith crafting overhaul.
It was mentioned by DDO staffs that it will happen sometime this year.
Are we going to have it in this update?
Is there actually people working on this subject?
Thanks for letting us know the delivery likelihood.

TPICKRELL
05-05-2016, 07:52 AM
Hi there,
I would like to know what is the plan for cannith crafting overhaul.
It was mentioned by DDO staffs that it will happen sometime this year.
Are we going to have it in this update?
Is there actually people working on this subject?
Thanks for letting us know the delivery likelihood.

They announced in the U31 preview stream that Cannith Crafting will be in U32. No details other than it will be positioned to be not as strong as the strongest lootgen items, so that there is still a reason to look at chest loot. Also said that they would be looking for a lot of feedback to set that balance point.

Rhysem
05-05-2016, 09:23 AM
They announced in the U31 preview stream that Cannith Crafting will be in U32. No details other than it will be positioned to be not as strong as the strongest lootgen items, so that there is still a reason to look at chest loot. Also said that they would be looking for a lot of feedback to set that balance point.

Given the intolerable grind it is, to be honest it could be as powerful and I'm not sure it'd matter. The place you'd get it would still be the same -- the auction/shard house -- because actually-good chest loot is so rare if someone gets it, it probably doesn't fit with their gear load out anyway and so may as well stuff it on the AH/ASAH.

JOTMON
05-05-2016, 09:37 AM
I got so much stuff from that box that I had to throw away some things to get it all to fit. The armor in question is called Hide something or other - Dont remember its name exactly, but I know it had hide in the name. You have to equip it to see what he is talking about and its pretty much just shoulder pads. :)

It should look like..

http://global3.memecdn.com/bacon-armor_o_365417.jpg

Holleyz
05-05-2016, 03:09 PM

Oh yes I must have this then, I would even pay turbine points for it and I haven't even seen it yet.

Elsbet
05-05-2016, 06:25 PM
From another thread...

Apparently, no ETA. :(

Thanks!

Hakushi
05-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Are we getting a new Monster Manual with U31? The last one we got was in U28, I hope we get a new one soon.

Cordovan
05-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Are we getting a new Monster Manual with U31? The last one we got was in U28, I hope we get a new one soon.

Not with Update 31, but we're aware of folks' desire for another Monster Manual.

wmdearmond
05-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Are we going to get the next build soon?

thomascoolone64
07-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Are we going to get the next build soon?

I hope so..... Cordovan just stated in one of my discussion threads that its still to early to thinking about it yet

thomascoolone64
08-10-2016, 05:13 PM
YAY! Lamannia tomorrow!!!