PDA

View Full Version : DDO.com Data Center Migration - Tuesday, March 15th

Cordovan
03-11-2016, 05:29 PM
UPDATE: We ran into an issue on Tuesday that prevented us from completing this work. We will need to put the forums offline again for a few hours on Thursday, starting at 9:00 AM Eastern. Thanks!

We are in the process of preparing to move DDO.com to our new data center. What this means for you is that sometime around 9:00 AM Eastern (-5 GMT) on Tuesday, March 15th we will temporarily close the forums to posting, so that we can copy the data over to the new data center, do some checks on it, and then reopen the forums to posting. It's possible the web site may be unavailable for a while as this work is being done.

When the web site is reopened, you should simply see the ability to post in the forums, and that's that. However, some Internet Service Providers may take some time for the new DNS information to propagate, so if you run into an issue, you can clear your browser cache, or, if you are technically savvy enough to want to do it, open up a command prompt on your computer and type ipconfig /dnsflush. This would be something you could choose to do after we reopen the web site on Tuesday. Eventually, all ISPs will have updated their DNS information, so regardless of whether you take these steps, things should "just work".

We'll keep you updated.

Frogger1234
03-11-2016, 05:44 PM
... after we reopen the web site on Monday ...

I hope you really meant Tuesday.

Eternal_Newbie
03-11-2016, 05:46 PM
.../.. things should "just work".

We'll keep you updated.

As good as Thelanis works since datacenter move...

Be Prepared to handle huge forum lags and ask us to change our browsers that will be the obvious cause...

I troll rarely but really bored by all these lags that go worst and worst....

Cordovan
03-11-2016, 05:47 PM
I hope you really meant Tuesday.

Yes, copy/paste fail.

UurlockYgmeov
03-11-2016, 06:12 PM
Beware the Ides of March! :P

Phoenix-daBard
03-11-2016, 06:36 PM
ipconfig /dnsflush

You got that backwards. It should be ipconfig /flushdns

Basura_Grande
03-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Will we get lag on the forums now to?

mna
03-12-2016, 08:01 AM
When the web site is reopened, you should simply see the ability to post in the forums, and that's that. However, some Internet Service Providers may take some time for the new DNS information to propagate, so if you run into an issue, you can clear your browser cache, or, if you are technically savvy enough to want to do it, open up a command prompt on your computer and type ipconfig /dnsflush. This would be something you could choose to do after we reopen the web site on Tuesday. Eventually, all ISPs will have updated their DNS information, so regardless of whether you take these steps, things should "just work".

...or if you have a caching DNS locally, such as on your router, you may need to manually flush that using some other method.

BTW, do remind your backend folks that some of the caches and "unofficial slaves" (that ISPs occasionally may have, despite that not being exactly nice or appropriate... but it makes things work better for them, so...) only automatically flush themselves on expiry and not refresh. (Yes, another problem once encountered at work. Then again, it was years ago and I hope those servers would've been fixed or replaced since, but...)

And since you currently seem to have a short refresh & retry but a 4-week expiry, well, I hope I'm somehow getting a cached version that'll hit expiry by Tuesday.

$ host -t soa ddo.com
ddo.com has SOA record ns01.ddo.com. root.ddo.com. 2102003108 300 900 2419200 10800

(These days, end-users being affected by this should be quite unlikely but not impossible.)

boogeiyman
03-13-2016, 06:00 AM
Maybe yall wanna smooth out the game's migration before starting off on the next project, I have just had like 10 failed login attempts to the game...and my experience in game the last 24 hours has been horrible with what has for me been the worst lagging experience in DDO.

Nigel137
03-13-2016, 03:44 PM
Will we get lag on the forums now to?
Yeah the new data center was a REALLY bad move for in game performance. I really didn't have unusual lag until this past week. Now I have had to learn to live with random lag deaths and hope they don't fail the quest for my group too often. It is near unplayable.

TonkaBabe
03-13-2016, 05:24 PM
I don't post here ever, nor have I complained much about the poor play issues and down time in all the years I have played this game (here since beta so don't let the join date fool you, I left for a bit and came back) and I cannot help but to say this is DUMB. Can't even play anymore because of the ridiculous lag issues. Just for your info it is not "our" computers or providers, It's yours. PLEASE FIX IT ASAP. Do you even know what the problem is??? My days of paying for this are going to end real soon if this keeps up to much longer.

Thank you for letting me rant once :)
Tonya (*****y Mad!)

Nonesuch2008
03-13-2016, 06:28 PM
I don't post here ever, nor have I complained much about the poor play issues and down time in all the years I have played this game (here since beta so don't let the join date fool you, I left for a bit and came back) and I cannot help but to say this is DUMB. Can't even play anymore because of the ridiculous lag issues. Just for your info it is not "our" computers or providers, It's yours. PLEASE FIX IT ASAP. Do you even know what the problem is??? My days of paying for this are going to end real soon if this keeps up to much longer.

Tonya (*****y Mad!)

*Nods head in honor of first post

I just wish it could have been under better circumstances. Nonetheless, welcome to you.

Powerhungry
03-13-2016, 09:07 PM

Tonya (*****y Mad!)

Been playing for several years as vip. Occasionally a raid would fail due to lag.
Since the data center move, every raid I have run (DoJ, MoD, FotP and Deathwyrm) has lag failed - every one, every time.
You have made your game all but unplayable.
The issue is not on our end. We could play it before. You changed something and now the lag is horrendous.
I've been trying since then move to get my 40th FotP completion so I can TR and have been unable to do so (still at 39).

Saekee
03-13-2016, 09:19 PM
Is this a second migration of the game servers? Seems like the new ones flunked

blerkington
03-13-2016, 09:40 PM
Is this a second migration of the game servers? Seems like the new ones flunked

Hi,

I think this is the forums being moved rather than the game servers.

With so many angry complaints here about lag, the temptation to mess it up must be pretty strong by now.

Thanks.

Saekee
03-13-2016, 11:07 PM
Hi,

I think this is the forums being moved rather than the game servers.

With so many angry complaints here about lag, the temptation to mess it up must be pretty strong by now.

Thanks.

thx blerk

sudzz
03-14-2016, 04:10 AM
Unless what you are saying is that DDO.com is on the same server as the game servers then perhaps time could be better spent optimising the connection to the game worlds rather than a web site move that actually seems to be working just fine for the time being. Since Tuesday of last week when the game server got moved lag in game has been horrific with raids being almost unplayable in certain circumstances (mobs spawning, chest opening etc) ping response times are typically over 100ms and packet loss ranges from 0.7-8%, being on a 150 mbit down 10 mbit up connection with FTC this game should fly, the rest of my system as a professional IT engineer likely comes close to the spec of the server being very high end workstation class and a high end current generation graphics card. It is more than capable of playing COD on the internet with much better graphics and where mouse aim makes the difference between hit and near miss, DDO only needs to be facing the correct direction and takes a dice roll for hit or miss afterall.

firstprotector
03-14-2016, 08:46 AM
I use too have some lag now and then, now it is worse than ever. even when doing solo stuff it lags. i thought the new data center was going to make things run smoother, boy was i wrong! i thought the new data center was some cool building with all these giant computers, seems like the new data center is someones mom's basement with a AT or XT class pc. i am disapointed that now i have serious lag.

Nyata
03-14-2016, 09:08 AM
I'm not seeing this in the Launcher, might be a good idea to put it there for people to get the info before they are suddenly unable to connect to the forums... And good luck with the move, hope it goes smoothly and you guys get your hands free to work on.. ya know... the pressing issues the other move created.

JOTMON
03-14-2016, 09:21 AM
We are in the process of preparing to move DDO.com to our new data center. What this means for you is that sometime around 9:00 AM Eastern (-5 GMT) on Tuesday, March 15th we will temporarily close the forums to posting, so that we can copy the data over to the new data center, do some checks on it, and then reopen the forums to posting. It's possible the web site may be unavailable for a while as this work is being done.

We'll keep you updated.

soo....
any follow up update on work to resolve the current lag on the new data servers that is currently worse than the lag on the old data servers....
This move was supposed to make things better for players .. wasn't it?....
..Currently we have suspended all raid night activity due to unplayable lag at all difficulties....
...Waiting to hear from Devs about tweaks and adjustments to improve quality of play..

Dimwhit1
03-14-2016, 09:55 AM
I've gotta jump in here, too. Since the move, Thelanis has definitely been lagging a lot more than before. I'd rather see that fixed than further migrations.

KingKoz
03-14-2016, 10:49 AM
I use too have some lag now and then, now it is worse than ever. even when doing solo stuff it lags. i thought the new data center was going to make things run smoother, boy was i wrong! i thought the new data center was some cool building with all these giant computers, seems like the new data center is someones mom's basement with a AT or XT class pc. i am disapointed that now i have serious lag.

There you go thinking again! :-)

Sylvado
03-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Not likely that the move of the forums can be stopped and I doubt it would impact game performance either way when the forums do move. However, as someone who rarely experienced lag issues at all I had to quit playing last night due to lag deaths and that was just with a solo run of Hold for Reinforcements.

Nyata
03-14-2016, 03:22 PM
I've gotta jump in here, too. Since the move, Thelanis has definitely been lagging a lot more than before. I'd rather see that fixed than further migrations.

pretty much imagine they don't have a choice there. Because I would not kee two contracts up and running just to keep the forums on a seperate server. probably don't even have the option to chose to do it, because the old contract likely already expires / was cancelled for a certain date.

Slanesh22
03-14-2016, 03:26 PM

Tonya (*****y Mad!)

Same for me. If you want to shut down DDO then do so and don't scare people away by running the game servers on a raspberry pi cluster while still charging the same subscription price. I'm out until this gets fixed.

Orchater
03-14-2016, 06:35 PM
I guess I am one of the lucky ones, lagwise. I hardly ever have any lag and when I do it's very minor rubberbanding. I play mostly on Cannith, but have toons on all the servers. Now I have only been in 2 raids since U30, LH Tempest and HE Shroud. Had very little lag in Tempest, and as always some in Shroud run. Don't remember ever having a no-lag shroud run. I play on a Dell laptop that's maybe a year and a half old, WIN 7, always have my music playiing and usually have wiki up. I also am on Verzion Fios and while I know that is not offered everywhere, I rarely hve connection issues. Having that said, I'm going to go look for my four-leaf clover. :)

Kompera_Oberon
03-14-2016, 09:19 PM
...or if you have a caching DNS locally, such as on your router, you may need to manually flush that using some other method.
There will no doubt be a lot of manual flushing occurring, using one of several methods. Urinal, bowl, commode, W.C., lavatory, potty, latrine, head, etc.

Nonesuch2008
03-15-2016, 11:31 AM
Slightly weird behavior so far, I had to re-authenticate credentials four times just now. Otherwise, looks OK.

DDOstream_Shoemaker
03-15-2016, 11:49 AM

We'll keep you updated.

I see that the move is complete! YAY!!!

Sarzor
03-15-2016, 11:55 AM
soo....
any follow up update on work to resolve the current lag on the new data servers that is currently worse than the lag on the old data servers....
This move was supposed to make things better for players .. wasn't it?....
..Currently we have suspended all raid night activity due to unplayable lag at all difficulties....
...Waiting to hear from Devs about tweaks and adjustments to improve quality of play..

You misunderstand. It's supposed to be a less expensive option, not a better option.

The game is nearly unplayable since the move. Sure, it costs less, but maybe the hope is for some player loss to drive down the lag?

Frelorn
03-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Just head up folks. I know I am not your normal announce type person, but I have been helping out all of our franchises with website and other migrations. We ran into an issue today with the migration and rather than keep the site down longer we decided to bring it back up in the old datacenter until we worked through the issue. This means that on Thursday we will need to bring the site down again to complete the work that we started today. We know this is a bit of a pain, but rather than keep things down for extended period of time we decided to spread it out to make sure this was done right.

Nonesuch2008
03-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Just head up folks. I know I am not your normal announce type person, but I have been helping out all of our franchises with website and other migrations. We ran into an issue today with the migration and rather than keep the site down longer we decided to bring it back up in the old datacenter until we worked through the issue. This means that on Thursday we will need to bring the site down again to complete the work that we started today. We know this is a bit of a pain, but rather than keep things down for extended period of time we decided to spread it out to make sure this was done right.

Thank you Frelorn, we appreciate the info.

Myranna
03-15-2016, 09:19 PM
We planned on doing the Thunderholme raids on Sunday like we always do. However, it was impossible due to the lag. It wasn't just a few people, it was the entire raid. In Auglarasa's Lair, as soon as the beam opened the portal, everything came to a halt. (though some were lagging before then). In the Summit as soon as the adds came out, instant lock of EVERYONE. Our guild is diversified enough that we have several ISPs involved, the problem was entirely on the server side. (Cannith) This never happened prior to the move.

Really hoping something is being done about that, IMO, that's far more important than worrying about the forums.

bracelet
03-15-2016, 11:42 PM

I thought for a minute there you meant the game. You mean just the ddo.com website don't you? Ah well. I thought for a minute there someone cared about the game.

Cordovan
03-16-2016, 09:21 AM
We ran into an issue on Tuesday that prevented us from completing this work. We will need to put the forums offline again for a few hours on Thursday, starting at 9:00 AM Eastern. Thanks!

Nyata
03-16-2016, 09:21 AM
We ran into an issue on Tuesday that prevented us from completing this work. We will need to put the forums offline again for a few hours on Thursday, starting at 9:00 AM Eastern. Thanks!

I thought "Kobold is not even supposed to be here today" ?

LrdSlvrhnd
03-16-2016, 10:58 PM
I thought "Kobold is not even supposed to be here today" ?

That was the issue!

Iwant_DiabloThree
03-18-2016, 05:36 AM
I cant help but wonder why the devs are not communicating about the issues we are all having since the data center move. Is it lack of concern?? Does it have anything to do with them telling the higher ups that if the money is spent the problems go away...and then having to tell them that after spending the resources... it only became worse.

Maybe the issues could be resolved by cleaning up the code, Maybe the more more bugs you clean out..... the better the game runs.... who knows but its worth a shot

Elsbet
03-18-2016, 09:32 AM

BTW, ever since the migration, your security certificate is jacked up and I can't access the site from any mobile device. I use Android tablets and cell phones and use the Google Chrome browser (whatever the latest version is - I stay up-to-date). I could try from my work iPhone, but work phone so...

I get a security cert not valid error and have to bypass the security protocols

Wizza
03-18-2016, 10:11 AM
BTW, ever since the migration, your security certificate is jacked up and I can't access the site from any mobile device. I use Android tablets and cell phones and use the Google Chrome browser (whatever the latest version is - I stay up-to-date). I could try from my work iPhone, but work phone so...

I get a security cert not valid error and have to bypass the security protocols

Same. And I have to do it everytime I want to read a thread, make a reply, go back, etc etc

Qhualor
03-18-2016, 12:38 PM
After the forum migration my security certificate on my Samsung phone wouldn't allow me to access the forums. I clicked on a lot of stuff allowing permissions all over my phone and eventually after clearing my browser history I finally was able to log on. Right now, even though I can get on the forums, my phone is showing me that this site is not safe and secured.

Bluenoser
03-18-2016, 01:01 PM
Since I'm not an expert on this stuff by any stretch of the imagination, I'll ask what is probably a stupid question: would the security certificate for a mobile device be different from the one I would get on a desktop using a browser? Because I see a valid certificate on my desktop, using Firefox.

Elsbet
03-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Since I'm not an expert on this stuff by any stretch of the imagination, I'll ask what is probably a stupid question: would the security certificate for a mobile device be different from the one I would get on a desktop using a browser? Because I see a valid certificate on my desktop, using Firefox.

It could be an issue with Samsung because I also have Samsung products (a galaxy tablet and an S6 phone) like a previous poster. I can't to any page on DDO.com without going through the warning screens for the certificate error on my mobile devices.

MichaelakaEcho
03-18-2016, 11:27 PM
UPDATE: We ran into an issue on Tuesday that prevented us from completing this work. We will need to put the forums offline again for a few hours on Thursday, starting at 9:00 AM Eastern. Thanks!

We'll keep you updated.

OK, check this out, I am sick and tired of begging and groveling for you people to do your jobs properly. You, "the developers" are killing this game. The lag issues are so bad that 1/3rd of our raid group players have already left the game. The long term players will stick around for a while longer, but they already have one foot out the door also. Are you trying to put yourselves out of a job? Do you guys intentionally give no **** as to what happens to your player base? Have you asked the owners for help in fixing this issue? I know that if I have an issue at work that I can't resolve, we call in a contractor to remedy it. ****ing call someone... Do something productive... Make forward progress... I am aware that this posting will not be regarded in high esteem, I am also willing to bet that it will be deleted by some job scared intern who doesn't want their boss to see just how unhappy the player base is at the current situation before they have a chance to read it. FIX THE GAME!!! FIX THE GAME!!! That is all we are asking. THE GAME WAS FINE BEFORE THE MOVE TO THE NEW DATA CENTERS! QUIT BLAMING THE PLAYERS ISPs, AND ROUTERS, AND OTHER SUCH ********!! Admit the move was a mistake and move the game to a server that has the capacity to run it PROPERLY. I just hope that someone of some importance reads this before it is deleted. I am sick and tired of the "Please Sir fix this" posts, and your disregard of them. FIX THE ****ING GAME! I have been playing this game off and on since 2006, and would like to offer a sincere "thank you' for any actual resolution that is made toward this issue.

Steen
03-18-2016, 11:43 PM
This game is a product plan and simple. I really want to keep playing this game but my closest of friends have all been playing since near beta and we raid. Currently your product is completely unable to allow us to do this. Raiding is at least a big part of your end game so everyone playing that plans on getting to end game is wasting their time as no matter your build DDO lag will kill it. If nothing changes this game will die and some will lose their jobs maybe that's the plan anyway. I won't spend anymore of my money on this product til its properly taken care of. I don't want to leave but you've killed my game already. Guess its lowbies for a couple weeks then I bet most of my guild will leave and they are at least half of why I'm still here.

Hellyzabeth
03-19-2016, 10:15 AM
This is not lag, this is a feature implemented to challenge experienced players who said the game was too easy.

@ Turbine:
Any plans about reimbursing irritated players?
If you reimburse (money, not turbine points) only my 49 otto boxes and 50% xp pots lefts, I swear I'll quit and stop harrassing you with lag.
In the end, you will still make a great deal, since you will keep everything else I purchased.
I will not be asking reimbursement on those xp pots that timer goes thru lag, nor countless of cakes/shard revives used due to lag caused by Data Center Migration, even if this could be suable for fraud where I live.
You can even keep that 5 months left to my VIP subscription.

Deal?

Halifex
03-19-2016, 07:56 PM
It seems to me the new data servers are the root cause for a huge increase in server lag, which is at its worst during raids. It is not missing during questing or even in public instances such as the marketplace. There is no rhyme or reason to it, just all of a sudden, everyone in the group and often elsewhere on the server (I am on Thelanis) all type LAG on our channels.

Why is Turbine killing this game? I love this game. I have been a VIP for about 10 years. At times I have had more than one account. I tried Premium and bought a bunch of packs. I buy Turbine Points regularly. I am a well-paying customer. To say I have spent $4000 on this game in the last 10 years is not an exaggeration. I have friends in this game and they just mentioned in a raid that they had spent similar amounts.

Why is Turbine killing this game?

Please fix the lag.

Sho-sa
03-20-2016, 09:02 AM
VIP, here.

Since Saturday morning, 19MAR16, can't even begin to log in to G-land.

Launcher server connection times out after abut three seconds.

archest
03-20-2016, 10:21 PM
are all the servers performing the same way?

Kerria
03-20-2016, 10:39 PM
Ok just spent 3 hours trying to play and got one raid actually done. Should not have to give up game content and repeat the same few quests that don't lag kill you over and over. Some communication as to where you are on a fix would be nice, and not just "we are looking into it". Hire some one to come in, raise hell with the new server providers to get it fixed. Are they running a virus scan every 15 min? Call Microsoft and ask for a consultation,. As Vip I am paying for this and that will not keep up for much longer...not to mention the extra tps I buy every month....come on....you can only short change me for so long. We should get a rebate for the past 2 weeks of headaches and lag-caused lack of play options. I consider my VIP a contract and if work needs to be done I have the right to be kept in the loop at least some what. I don't need the tech details but tell us something.

GlassCannon
03-21-2016, 08:17 AM

Wait, what?

Mechanical or bureaucratic?

We have reason to suspect that WB Games has deliberately sabotaged the quality of DDO

Cordovan
03-21-2016, 10:48 AM
We appreciate the feedback on your in-game experience, and are working on improvements. More information will be made as it becomes available.

Now, onto the point of this thread. Related only to the DDO.com migration to our new data center, outside of the realm of in-game experience, anything to report? It seems that, other than some issues caused by a DNS change that should largely be a nonissue at this point, anyone having web site problems? I would prefer if we could use this thread to focus on that section of the migration.

GlassCannon
03-21-2016, 10:49 AM

But that's the forums, not the game, right?

If we're running DDO server-side on the backup let's-hope-we-never-have-to-use-this hardware purchased in 2005 there's the answer to all our problems. DDO now is a lot more complex and data-intensive than it was back at Launch.

I know all about the "backup hardware" situation as I've been working with computers since early childhood. Lack of parents, whatever, point is I understand.

What is WB Games doing to help Turbine through this dilemma? Are they strictly investors taking money out of your company for profit's sake or are they actually being a benevolent part of Turbine?

Why all the silence on the part of the Dev Team? Are they working on some huge project we aren't supposed to know about like 6 new classes, 400 new enhancements via an overhaul and rebalance, a complete Epic gear rework, the new Cannith Crafting and 4 new raids and 20 new quests all at once? Or are they (like some of us fear) being poached by a larger corporation, resulting in Turbine losing its seasoned staff?

Hobgoblin
03-21-2016, 10:53 AM
We appreciate the feedback on your in-game experience, and are working on improvements. More information will be made as it becomes available.

Now, onto the point of this thread. Related only to the DDO.com migration to our new data center, outside of the realm of in-game experience, anything to report? It seems that, other than some issues caused by a DNS change that should largely be a nonissue at this point, anyone having web site problems? I would prefer if we could use this thread to focus on that section of the migration.

my issue is that i cant get onto the forums on a mobile device anymore. says its unsafe

GlassCannon
03-21-2016, 10:53 AM

/agreed

There are already quite a number of threads and a massive outcry by the DDO playerbase regarding in-game experiences.

So far I haven't had any support site related problems. Tickets, database queries and other non-game support functions appear to be working fine from a PC running Google Chrome with 7 Ad-Block Extensions, 1 HTTPS and 1 User-Agent Switcher active (and inactive, because I tested stuff with it all disabled).

So far the main complaint I've seen is an invalid security certificate for the Forums. Is anyone looking into that?

GlassCannon
03-21-2016, 10:55 AM
my issue is that i cant get onto the forums on a mobile device anymore. says its unsafe

Just tried it with my Nexus 5. www.ddo.com (http://www.ddo.com) has an invalid security certificate. This is a Google device and likely reflects the same experience of many other Google/ARM based devices including Samsung phones.

Https:// can be established with Google Chrome on a PC but a cellphone on the cell data network cannot establish an Https:// connection on cell networks or wifi.

Cordovan
03-21-2016, 11:00 AM
There are probably some configurations that have a bad certificate; you can generally safely "proceed anyway" and it'll resolve your issue. That said, I would also be interested in a PM with further information if you want to give it. Clearing the browser cache might well resolve it as well.

Propane
03-21-2016, 11:33 AM

The forums seem find to me, I wouldn't have noticed the change if I didn't see the post.

The in game issues are where 99.99% of the pain is coming from for me.

Qhualor
03-21-2016, 12:06 PM
There are probably some configurations that have a bad certificate; you can generally safely "proceed anyway" and it'll resolve your issue. That said, I would also be interested in a PM with further information if you want to give it. Clearing the browser cache might well resolve it as well.

I am able to log in on my phone, but it shows that the forums are unsecure and not safe. I have to re-enter my username and password every time I get logged out instead of my phone always remembering. I had the same issue when the forums changed some years ago.

Silverleafeon
03-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Forums are fine.

Was a day or two that it took an additional second to pop up, hardly noticeable.

Support is back, had a day or two last week were I could not make a ticket.

Ticket time was very fast for me.

BrokenButton
03-21-2016, 12:54 PM
Now, onto the point of this thread. Related only to the DDO.com migration to our new data center, outside of the realm of in-game experience, anything to report?
I was going to provide a screenshot of the Ping Plot I took during a laggy raid for your thread where you requested pings, but I can no longer add attachments since the data center move. Clicked: Manage Attachments > Add Files > Uploader > Choose File > (selected my file) > Upload > then spinny wheel and nothing.

Happens with both IE11 and Chrome, on Windows 7 ultimate 64. Tried a different computer, same issue. Tried again today, same issue.

GlassCannon
03-21-2016, 02:03 PM
I was going to provide a screenshot of the Ping Plot I took during a laggy raid for your thread where you requested pings, but I can no longer add attachments since the data center move. Clicked: Manage Attachments > Add Files > Uploader > Choose File > (selected my file) > Upload > then spinny wheel and nothing.

Happens with both IE11 and Chrome, on Windows 7 ultimate 64. Tried a different computer, same issue. Tried again today, same issue.

Bro!

Post those to Image Shack or some other free image hosting services. Then go into Advanced on your Reply to Thread UI above the text area and click the Insert Image button to the right of the Hyperlink and Break Hyperlink buttons (globe with infinity sign).

Post the images. If you can't get them through the Bug Report then use the Forum workaround.

Do it in another thread though since this one is for non-game related connectivity issues.

EllisDee37
03-21-2016, 03:29 PM
There are probably some configurations that have a bad certificate; you can generally safely "proceed anyway" and it'll resolve your issue. That said, I would also be interested in a PM with further information if you want to give it. Clearing the browser cache might well resolve it as well.To my knowledge, the DDO forums have never had a valid security certificate ever since the forum change a couple years ago. As far as I'm aware, everyone who posts on the forums has had to manually tell their browser to ignore the bad certificate.

Is this not the case?

Cordovan
03-21-2016, 03:33 PM
To my knowledge, the DDO forums have never had a valid security certificate ever since the forum change a couple years ago. As far as I'm aware, everyone who posts on the forums has had to manually tell their browser to ignore the bad certificate.

Is this not the case?

Depends on the time, circumstances, and browser. It seems to most frequently be an issue with mobile/tablet browsers and Chrome/Firefox.

Eryhn
03-21-2016, 03:43 PM
im pretty sure it IS an issue with a lacking or incorrectly set up certificate on your end, it just so happens that firefox is more adamant about issues like that. if it were firefox' fault I would get certificate errors on other web pages too, wouldnt I? or maybe other web presences just make sure that their stuff works with both IE, chrome and fox ... this is exclusive to your place and has been so for years ;)

that being said, who cares (at the moment), minor issue compared to servers XD

slarden
03-21-2016, 03:55 PM
Depends on the time, circumstances, and browser. It seems to most frequently be an issue with mobile/tablet browsers and Chrome/Firefox.

I am thinking mobile/tablet browsers and chrome/firefox impacts over half of your customer base.

Knobull
03-21-2016, 05:02 PM

As I recall, the intermediate certificates in the chain for your wildcard cert are not setup in your nginx config. I had posted the solution previously...

Qualys SSL Labs still shows the same problem:
https://globalsign.ssllabs.com/analyze.html?d=www.ddo.com&hideResults=on

My analysis from last year (stuff may have changed):
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/455535-sec_error_bad_signature?p=5531755&viewfull=1#post5531755

Yup, stuff has changed - it seems you have changed from Network Solutions to Comodo (Good call, Network Solutions has poohed the bed big time.)

Also, it seems you're back on Apache now behind F5 BIG-IP, but still the cert chain is incomplete and weak key exchange cipher suites are enabled. Firefox may complain about both, though I expect the missing intermediate certs are the problem.

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/ssl/ssl_howto.html
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslcertificatechainfile
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslcertificatefile

https://support.comodo.com/index.php?/Default/Knowledgebase/List/Index/71

In particular, I believe this is the one you are missing:
https://support.comodo.com/index.php?/Default/Knowledgebase/Article/View/970/108/intermediate-2-sha-2-comodo-rsa-domain-validation-secure-server-ca

Comodo's certificate and cert bundle installation instructions for Apache:
https://support.comodo.com/index.php?/Default/Knowledgebase/Article/View/637/0/certificate-installation-apache--mod_ssl

Interesting to note the return to the expensive F5 BIG-IP - I'd be looking at its config for possible sources of in-game lag. Check the old notes from when you were using this platform in the past.

You're welcome Turbine. That'll be $350, thanks. :)

BrokenButton
03-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Bro!

Post those to Image Shack or some other free image hosting services. Then go into Advanced on your Reply to Thread UI above the text area and click the Insert Image button to the right of the Hyperlink and Break Hyperlink buttons (globe with infinity sign).

Post the images. If you can't get them through the Bug Report then use the Forum workaround.

Do it in another thread though since this one is for non-game related connectivity issues.Thanks, I think you're missing the point. Cord asked if there were any issues with the website after the data move. I detailed one: The Manage Attachment feature is buggy for me, on multiple computers which means it may be buggy for others as well.

bracelet
03-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Related only to the DDO.com migration to our new data center, outside of the realm of in-game experience, anything to report? It seems that, other than some issues caused by a DNS change that should largely be a nonissue at this point, anyone having web site problems?

Forum search seems to be broken. When I type something in and click the little search icon I get this:

connection to 10.65.214.213:9312 failed (errno=110, msg=Connection timed out)

I am behind a VPN right now and we use a 10. something or other subnet, but I assume that the number being shown here is part of Turbine's subnet.

Saekee
03-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Forum search seems to be broken. When I type something in and click the little search icon I get this:

connection to 10.65.214.213:9312 failed (errno=110, msg=Connection timed out)

I am behind a VPN right now and we use a 10. something or other subnet, but I assume that the number being shown here is part of Turbine's subnet.

that hasn't worked for ages now

Qhualor
03-25-2016, 02:45 PM
At lunch time my phone said DDO forums was not safe and not a secure site, but still able to log on and do normal stuff. Now a couple hours later my phone says DDO forums is a secure and safe site. Yeah!

Elsbet
03-25-2016, 03:24 PM

Yeap. Checked on my iPhone (which I LOATHE) and ddo.com works in safari (but safari sucks).

The cert issue seems to be limited on my side to Chrome on my phone/tablet. Chrome on my PC works fine. I've never had a cert issue with Chrome on my desktop or laptop. Don't care for Firefox much and don't use IE for anything but work-related stuff, so I don't have comparison data for those browsers.

Tyrande
03-26-2016, 11:19 AM
/agreed

We were in a full raid party on "Fire on Thunderpeak" on EH, completed that successfully and then at Deathwyrm, fighting the boss was not too bad.... the lag hits bad when we were staring at the chests. I think it was frozen like 15 minutes and then we were finally looting.

Here is a picture of us:

http://s10.postimg.org/xwg7muo11/Screen_Shot00031.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/xwg7muo11/)

Moving to the correct thread. This was during our guild night from 8pm till around 10:30pm ish Friday night on Sarlona with a full raid party.

Fungfu
03-28-2016, 12:16 PM
So, I've been a paying customer of DDO since 2006. I've gotten my dice bag (thank you, by the way) and While I post very seldomly I am absolutely frustrated with DDO / Turbine NOT acknowledging the Lag issues since last week. I don't know what the cause is, nor frankly do I care. I've heard that a server move is to blame. Typically the only reason to move a server is to increase connection capability / bandwidth or to save money.

Clearly there is something wrong. I've gotten the worst lag I've ever experienced in DDO and I used to live in Montana. I now live in Phoenix Arizona, I work for Cox Communications, and have a gigabit connection. My latency through my ISP network is less than 1ms. I am positive he lag is not an ISP issue, and i've heard (though I've not seen anything from the dev's) that the DM's are blaming all the lag on ISP issues (customer side, not DDO side).

Frankly not addressing it is ****ing me off. I don't care (yet) if you don't have a solution, but ignoring the huge clamoring of complaints is NOT the way to address the problem. Transparency is essential to customer satisfaction and trust. admit there is an issue, give us a clue as to root cause and layout the plan you have to address.

I've been a very loyal customer, and will continue to be one, but this is not cool Turbine. Please stop dev work on new materials, and focus on gameplay and speed. If you were promised functionality from the company you now use to host your servers, hold them responsible.

I've ran NOC's for 15 years, and I can tell you if you threaten to not pay them, due to breach of contract, and move back they will (usually) move mountains to fix the problem.

In any case at the very least you need to publically acknowledge the issue asap.

Krelar
03-31-2016, 11:51 PM
I've been having issues with the web site all day today. At first I thought it was just conection issues at my work but I continue to have issues at home as well. Pages will time out and not load or only partially load. It's been very intermittent, nothing would work for awhile then it would work normally for awhile then back to not working. (Using Chrome on both computers one win 7 one win 10)

Tried doing a tracert to www.ddo.com during one of the times it was having issues.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ---
2 6 ms 6 ms 8 ms ---
3 7 ms 7 ms 8 ms xe--0-1-0---0.fdr01.grhm.or.frontiernet.net [50.38.7.109]
4 17 ms 8 ms 18 ms ae10---0.car01.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net [74.40.70.37]
5 12 ms 13 ms 12 ms ae2---0.cor01.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net [74.40.1.217]
6 12 ms 15 ms 13 ms ae4---0.cor01.sttl.wa.frontiernet.net [74.40.1.221]
7 12 ms 12 ms 12 ms ae0---0.cbr01.sttl.wa.frontiernet.net [74.40.5.122]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 143 ms 128 ms 126 ms ae27.cs1.sea1.us.eth.zayo.com [64.125.29.0]
10 79 ms 79 ms 81 ms ae2.cs1.ord2.us.eth.zayo.com [64.125.29.27]
11 84 ms 79 ms 117 ms ae3.cs1.lga5.us.eth.zayo.com [64.125.29.208]
12 78 ms 88 ms 80 ms ae27.cr1.lga5.us.zip.zayo.com [64.125.30.251]
13 82 ms 78 ms 79 ms ae11.mpr3.lga7.us.zip.zayo.com [64.125.20.14]
14 79 ms 80 ms 79 ms 128.177.168.190.IPYX-072053-ZYO.zip.zayo.com [128.177.168.190]
15 86 ms 80 ms 80 ms border1.pc2-bbnet2.nyj001.pnap.net [216.52.95.73]
16 82 ms 81 ms 81 ms turbine-14.border1.nyj001.pnap.net [70.42.39.234]
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Lopnel
04-12-2016, 10:10 PM
On my toons current life I am completely focused on raiding.
I have no big issues with most raids and even during peak times most of them are able to complete even if lag issues prompt a party wipe.
However DEFILER OF THE JUST raid is very unnerving and in turn causing disputes amongst long time players. I have tried /loc to find good instances... have tried avoiding slower load times... have focused on POWERFULL long time players to bring their best builds and still yet there have been so many FAILED NORMAL runs in the past few weeks . in the past 20 attempts I have had 1 completion (4 person attempt on normal) In the past 2 weeks I have 2 completions overall . Yet we run other raids on Elite during peak hours and are able to complete them.

A few ideas to render this raid able to complete on elite for long time players:
1. The spinning blades that travel the arena are not needed on any difficulty
2. More time to kill the executioners and reinforcements due to lag related issues.
3. Time in between the waves are more relaxed due to lag related issues of spawns (at current they are not relaxed at all with a few seconds until a new wave hits)
4. for all raids consider a cumulative "lump sum" of GUILD REKNOWN in either a chest or a total after the completion. increments during the raid/quest are paired with lag spikes.

Besides DOJ being the bane of Raider life toons there are other things of note:
*persistant chat connection: after leaving a party the party chatting can still be heard... even after an hour. seems to stop when you join or make a new party... still weird though.
*party connection issues resulting in broken party chat. A few members are talking amongst each other while the rest are communicating seperately... basically 2 or more party connections within the same party/raid party. Once an applicant joins the party I make sure to try to communicate with them, yet sure enough during the quest the connection becomes divided somehow and people loose communication. Sending /tell as a source of communication is a reliable way to communicate if this should haooen, but does happen quite often.

ALOT of people have been noting that this item : Necklace of Mystic Eidolons is a lag monster by either wearing it or taking the item on/off causes severe lag spikes. Is this true? I for one do not use it and due my friends advice I consistently ask party members not to wear that particular item especially during raids.

As I am exploring the ddo forums I have noticed that there are people willing to go out of their way and free of charge to help with the coding of this game. Would it be too much to ask for the developers to explain in great depth their current issues and proposals to resolve or attempt to resolve in a separate forum so others may try to help in any way they can? Or maybe it would be just be best to have DDO fans donate to said programmers to resolve coding issues?

I wouldn't know im no programmer. But I do know DDO has hundreds if not thousands of devoted life long players hoping and willing to make sure this game survives through the ages.
Maybe its time for more unpopulated areas for players to populate.

Thank you for your time and I hope the devs can be more open with their loyal fans.

Ladywolf
04-12-2016, 11:18 PM
I signed up for this game on day 1 and have played it pretty much continuously but for a 3 week break. Due to the lag, today we have officially cancelled guild raid nights going forward until things improve. Additionally, I am saddened at the number of guildies (many long term players) taking a break or leaving due to the lag on Khyber in raids, in quests and in explorers... It is especially obvious and frustrating in raids, which take time to fill (mainly due to people avoiding them due to lag)...and take longer to complete (because you might have a chance of succeeding if you only bring 9 people compared to the high odds of lag wiping with 12). We love endgame but there isn't much without raids. While the lag is not as wide spread as the lag revolt of xmas 2014, this has gone on for longer and it seems uncertain if you can significantly improve the lag (at least I haven't heard any indication). Hoping you are continuing to make it a priority at this time.