PDA

View Full Version : Downtime Notice: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) Thursday, January 28th



Cordovan
01-27-2016, 01:25 PM
UPDATE: The worlds have reopened!

The DDO Game Servers will be brought down on Thursday, January 28th from 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) for an update to the game. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

eris2323
01-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Any hints?

Starla70
01-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the update.

rfachini
01-27-2016, 01:47 PM
Update as in Update 30 with gnomes? Probably too soon for that.
Something else or just a patch or hotfix?

Cordovan
01-27-2016, 02:00 PM
This is for Update 29 Patch 2. Just bug fixes, including some polish for random loot. One of the more annoying bugs we're squashing is an issue where ingredient stacks sometimes won't go into bags.

eris2323
01-27-2016, 02:02 PM
This is for Update 29 Patch 2. Just bug fixes, including some polish for random loot. One of the more annoying bugs we're squashing is an issue where ingredient stacks sometimes won't go into bags.
Awesome, a bit more polish for the random loot will go a long way, and bug fixes always welcome!

Steve_Howe
01-27-2016, 02:07 PM
nm

der_kluge
01-27-2016, 02:10 PM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/12/128686/2790539-i_approve_this_message__be80a0c4e678f4290d2177c5a3 a41c02.jpg

der_kluge
01-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Update as in Update 30 with gnomes? Probably too soon for that.
Something else or just a patch or hotfix?

I suspect gnomes will come with the birthday celebration. That just makes sense. They'll probably also tie it into the new crafting system, which will also make a lot of sense.

Spekdah_NZ
01-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Bet we won't get a reply on this one.

Many of the fixes are mentioned on this stream: http://www.twitch.tv/ddostream/v/37985108

I cannot recall them all, but a fixo Master of Knowledge and negatives effects removed from other players on LGS weapons was mentioned.

Spekdah_NZ
01-27-2016, 02:13 PM
Also mentioned that Lam would be up no later than late mid Feb, and there were of course two gnomes, one for Eberron and the Deep Gnome for Eveningstar. No leak on the trees through :-(

SableShadow
01-27-2016, 02:26 PM
They'll probably also tie it into the new crafting system, which will also make a lot of sense.

The later remains to be seen. ^_^


including some polish for random loot.

But but but ... I'm already Polish, and have random l00tz.

Have I been a patch ... the whole time?!!?!? :O

http://i.imgur.com/UmpOi.gif

lifestaker
01-27-2016, 02:27 PM
This is for Update 29 Patch 2. Just bug fixes, including some polish for random loot. One of the more annoying bugs we're squashing is an issue where ingredient stacks sometimes won't go into bags.

So fixing the issue when putting things into bags via over-sized stacks... Is this potentially going to address the more annoying issue of ingredients from end rewards not going into bags or stacks? That is more annoying, at least to me.

Now, just to be that guy, is anything getting taken off the list (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/150534) when this update comes. It has proven each update has added something new to it, and some of the things on there have been there for a while (and are more annoying then ingredient stacks).

UurlockYgmeov
01-27-2016, 02:43 PM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/12/128686/2790539-i_approve_this_message__be80a0c4e678f4290d2177c5a3 a41c02.jpg

got my vote!

Livmo
01-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Can stack sizes be increased for the Red Bags?

http://ddowiki.com/page/Bags

Check out the difference in progression between red and green bags. I would be in favor of more collectables if the Red Bags got a pass ;)


>>>--->

I love the Seal of Approval!

/hug

digital_terror1
01-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Here's hoping the random loot polish will include fixing all the +0 insightful bonuses, and making all the quest end rewards that still cough up OLD loot start giving new loot rewards.

Also, here's hoping that completely useless effects like Assassinate bonuses on gear under ML 12 get removed. Seriously, why put a bonus to a skill you cannot get prior to level 12 on gear below that level?

Zebedar
01-27-2016, 03:28 PM
This is for Update 29 Patch 2. Just bug fixes, including some polish for random loot. One of the more annoying bugs we're squashing is an issue where ingredient stacks sometimes won't go into bags.

Will this 'polish' mean that you will be making more changes to the +15 stat drop rate? It would be appreciated if you could cover that in the release notes if you do.

The changes made during the last patch were rather drastic and probably should have been mentioned. We have gone from a average of 16 of them out of 4984 pulls, to a average of 1 out of 6467 pulls, that kind of drop rate change should have been told to the player base.

Thanks.

axamana
01-27-2016, 05:12 PM
This is for Update 29 Patch 2. Just bug fixes, including some polish for random loot. One of the more annoying bugs we're squashing is an issue where ingredient stacks sometimes won't go into bags.

Great to hear.....will it also fix the non-auto populate from your shared bank/crafting storage that frequently happens? Kind of annoying running to a crafting interface to find out it won't auto populate from my bank. Had to go back to using bags on my crafter because of this

Spekdah_NZ
01-27-2016, 05:16 PM
Here's hoping the random loot polish will include fixing all the +0 insightful bonuses, and making all the quest end rewards that still cough up OLD loot start giving new loot rewards.

Also, here's hoping that completely useless effects like Assassinate bonuses on gear under ML 12 get removed. Seriously, why put a bonus to a skill you cannot get prior to level 12 on gear below that level?

It's meant to be fixed in next patch, in the stream he mentioned that ML 10 or lower items should not have insightful stats; it would get one my mistake, look up the table for the ML which had nothing in it, hence the +0.

ComicRelief
01-27-2016, 06:12 PM
This is for Update 29 Patch 2. Just bug fixes, including some polish for random loot. One of the more annoying bugs we're squashing is an issue where ingredient stacks sometimes won't go into bags.

Sweet! Of course, I've only ever noticed this is you are 'maxing' an existing stack inside of one bag, and then go and try to deposit the remaining inventory stack into another. Gums the whole thing up, 'til you re-log.

But, uh...how about the quiver bug? The one where you select a stack of ammo in the quiver and then either move it up or down, and it gets automatically de-selected, so if you want to move it up/down more than once you have to re-select it - every - single - time - you - move - it? Is that in there, too?

{Hoping, hoping, hoping...}
;)

Hobgoblin
01-27-2016, 06:20 PM
This is for Update 29 Patch 2. Just bug fixes, including some polish for random loot. One of the more annoying bugs we're squashing is an issue where ingredient stacks sometimes won't go into bags.

just out of curiousity, has it been discussed about having an update with no new features, but simply fixing things?

I know we need content, but this would go a long way towards retaining peeps.

maybe say every update, the 2nd patch will be nothing but fixes?

just a random though from a brain on exhaustion.

Grosbeak07
01-27-2016, 06:48 PM
just out of curiousity, has it been discussed about having an update with no new features, but simply fixing things?

I know we need content, but this would go a long way towards retaining peeps.

maybe say every update, the 2nd patch will be nothing but fixes?

just a random though from a brain on exhaustion.


Many players are so tired of the same old quests. The game is dying for more content.

Isn't that watch patches are for? Bug fixes and not new content? Isn't that what we are getting tomorrow?

Skipping an update to do this would mean no new content for likely 8 months. This game is fun, but it can't go 8 months again without content. The last time nearly killed the game.

Puddletoes
01-27-2016, 07:01 PM
and making all the quest end rewards that still cough up OLD loot start giving new loot rewards.

This is a very bad idea until they fix Cannith Crafting on new lootgen, as currently these quests are the only way to get pieces of gear that won't be destroyed when they DO fix Cannith Crafting on new lootgen.

If they remove Old Loot from those quests, we will have to either:
Craft on Old Loot that we have stored up,
Craft on New Loot that will be destroyed when they fix crafting,
Not craft at all.

None of these are really good outcomes for most players. Especially new players who may not have Old Loot to craft on.

Hobgoblin
01-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Many players are so tired of the same old quests. The game is dying for more content.

Isn't that watch patches are for? Bug fixes and not new content? Isn't that what we are getting tomorrow?

Skipping an update to do this would mean no new content for likely 8 months. This game is fun, but it can't go 8 months again without content. The last time nearly killed the game.

i worded it poorly sorry.


what i meant was making this a regular thing.

so update 91 comes out - then 2 weeks after we get a patch that does nothing but work on bugs.

i read what i typed before and it was not clear.

Merlocke
01-27-2016, 07:16 PM
Will this 'polish' mean that you will be making more changes to the +15 stat drop rate? It would be appreciated if you could cover that in the release notes if you do.


fixing the LFM panel would be nice

Captain_Pengie
01-27-2016, 07:17 PM
"including some polish for random loot"

Hope this 'polish' includes some more sensible allocation of enhancements by item type - I'm really sick of getting a chest/reward list full of weapons/armour which have nothing but caster buffs instead of combat enhancements. There needs to be a far more sensible approach to this than pure random allocation, though from my experience it seems to be not so random. Caster enhancements are fine on items casters would actually use (staves, robes etc) but when you are a fighter that keeps getting stuff like Great Axes and Plate Armour with nothing but spell power buffs it is really annoying.

icekinslayer
01-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Hope this 'polish' includes some more sensible allocation of enhancements by item type - I'm really sick of getting a chest/reward list full of weapons/armour which have nothing but caster buffs instead of combat enhancements. There needs to be a far more sensible approach to this than pure random allocation, though from my experience it seems to be not so random. Caster enhancements are fine on items casters would actually use (staves, robes etc) but when you are a fighter that keeps getting stuff like Great Axes and Plate Armour with nothing but spell power buffs it is really annoying.



there are many 'melee' types that use spell powers, spell points, and etc in the epic levels...

Captain_Pengie
01-27-2016, 08:44 PM
there are many 'melee' types that use spell powers, spell points, and etc in the epic levels...

I know, when I play my paladin I am one of them. I'm just asking that not every single weapon and set of armour in the game is loaded with spell stuff as seems to happen now. Instead it could be reduced to a percentage chance (say 25% chance for med/heavy armour and martial/exotic weapons to have spell enhancements, 75% combat) instead of the current 100% spell stuff all the damn time that I am seeing. The reverse rule could be used for cloth armour/simple weapons (25% chance of melee enhancement 75% spell) and a 50/50 on light armour to balance it out. Right now I don't even know what the new combat enhancements are called because I never see any of them, but I can tell you what all of the spell enhancements are because that is all that ever comes up in every single chest and end reward list I see. Even when I turn off the 'end rewards by class' it makes no difference - my fighter still only ever gets offered stupid rubbish like the the chance to boost his acid spell power with a honking great +10 Maul of TrashLoot.

AnubisPrime
01-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the update

Elsbet
01-27-2016, 09:36 PM
I know, when I play my paladin I am one of them. I'm just asking that not every single weapon and set of armour in the game is loaded with spell stuff as seems to happen now. Instead it could be reduced to a percentage chance (say 25% chance for med/heavy armour and martial/exotic weapons to have spell enhancements, 75% combat) instead of the current 100% spell stuff all the damn time that I am seeing. The reverse rule could be used for cloth armour/simple weapons (25% chance of melee enhancement 75% spell) and a 50/50 on light armour to balance it out. Right now I don't even know what the new combat enhancements are called because I never see any of them, but I can tell you what all of the spell enhancements are because that is all that ever comes up in every single chest and end reward list I see. Even when I turn off the 'end rewards by class' it makes no difference - my fighter still only ever gets offered stupid rubbish like the the chance to boost his acid spell power with a honking great +10 Maul of TrashLoot.

QFT.

A guildie pulled a set of chainmail tonight. With a +10% incoming repair amplification. Because WF so can wear chainmail. And fleshies so need to be repaired.

Some of the new random loot combinations are just stupid. Is it really that hard to add to the rules engine "Repair amp can only be added to armor type = Docent." or "Healing amp can only be added to armor type != Docent."

I've yet to loot a bow on my ranger that isn't completely borked with spell enhancements to spell schools she doesn't have. Some DPS-type enhancements on weapons once in a while would be really cool. I'm so glad she's a TR and I have a loot hoarding problem. This new loot system might cure me of that though.

Livmo
01-27-2016, 09:53 PM
QFT.

A guildie pulled a set of chainmail tonight. With a +10% incoming repair amplification. Because WF so can wear chainmail. And fleshies so need to be repaired.

Some of the new random loot combinations are just stupid. Is it really that hard to add to the rules engine "Repair amp can only be added to armor type = Docent." or "Healing amp can only be added to armor type != Docent."

I've yet to loot a bow on my ranger that isn't completely borked with spell enhancements to spell schools she doesn't have. Some DPS-type enhancements on weapons once in a while would be really cool. I'm so glad she's a TR and I have a loot hoarding problem. This new loot system might cure me of that though.

I just want to point out that if you play a human arty, can only wear medium armor, and take the Construct Essence (http://ddowiki.com/page/Construct_Essence) feat, etc., that is a very nice item to have. We cast Repair on ourselves. It's a level 6 spell that I take when I do this type of build. There are lesser repair spells/lower level versions as well. They also work on arty dog.

Please don't ask to nerf that. Anyone into Construct Essence (http://ddowiki.com/page/Construct_Essence), Improved Construct Essence (http://ddowiki.com/page/Improved_Construct_Essence) and/or Construct Exemplar (http://ddowiki.com/page/Construct_Exemplar) might really dig having that item.

BTW any non-WF race can take Construct Essence.

elvesunited
01-27-2016, 11:34 PM
Looks like master of knowledge is now broken except for warlock splashes who have the ability to turn their aura off.
Running with my archmage ( 18 wiz, 2 fvs, 7 epic ) and it's not processing at all.

Captain_Pengie
01-28-2016, 12:54 AM
I've yet to loot a bow on my ranger that isn't completely borked with spell enhancements..I'm so glad she's a TR and I have a loot hoarding problem.

With you completely on both of these, my Ranger is still using a bow from his first life and he was created the first day the game went live so its been a very long time since there has been any decent love given to bows. However I also agree with Livmo that no set of rules can cover every situation - my Artificer loves his repair item which helps keep my metal woofer going (even if his AI is still horribly broken). The power and beauty of DDO is the variety of character builds, its what keeps a lot of us playing as even after 10 years we have still to exhaust all of the possible varieties and with Gnomes finally coming (woot!) there is more yet to be explored (though as I have hit the cap on character slots at 44 toons I may be forced into recycling some old ones in order to do that - Turbine, please allow more slots!).

Any changes to the loot system needs to include possibilities for any enhancement on any item to satisfy the potential variety of character builds, but they should be weighted possibilities rather than the 'every single time' which I have seen happening. I just ran Spies in the House with my Ranger and every item from all 6 chests plus all of the end rewards contained 2 spell enhancements while only 1 item (and its about the first I've seen) had a single combat enhancement. A Ranger has bugger all use for most spell enhancements but would love to see some doubleshot/accuracy/deadly/damage etc type effects slip into the list once in a while - particularly on a bow or set of light armour neither of which were on offer in the end rewards.

So what really annoys me about all this is that a great deal of work likely went into the new system and while I applaud many of the new effects and combinations on items, I can't help but be frustrated that a little more effort was not put into increasing the chance that effects would be more applicable to both the item type and, in the case of end rewards, the class. We know that every item is classified by type codes, it has to be or the AH categories would not work, and applicable classes though this one has to be assumed from the "Quest end rewards based on class" option which many, myself included, would argue is completely broken. While re-vamping the loot system it would not have been that much more effort to add in a couple of percentage based rolls to check these attributes against a list of effects which would be applicable and bias loot appropriately. Chest items would have to be biased based on effect and item type only while end rewards would also include a character class bias. In this manner we may actually get something of worth occasionally instead of the vast majority of loot immediately ending up as vendor trash while we old timers jealously hoard our shield clickies and Icy Burst/Pure Good weapons from the golden days of yore.

UurlockYgmeov
01-28-2016, 01:32 AM
I keep reading what amounts to being a constant high pitched sound from the boards concerning the quality of Randomly Generated Loot.

LootGen is RANDOM. period.

If we had a full listing of effects we could work out the exact probably of effect A and effect B being in synchronicity; let alone compute the odds of a third effect and its chances of being exactly perfect to the first two effects, and then add in the probability of a harmonizing augment slot.... (and this doesn't even factor in the unquantifiable - the subjective nature of what is a good effect, and what is desirable on a piece of equipment together.) (let's not even get started on masterful/wonderous and material....)

I can tell you that is slim - as in you have better chances of being struck by lightning on a clear day than winning that loot lottery.

AND IMHO it is as it should be.

Tell you what - lets remove the random part and say that greatswords only come in three flavors now:

vorpal keen of massive slicing damage
vorpal keen of massive acid damage
vorpal keen of massive evil damage
vorpal keep of massive good damage

--- would that make you happy? never, because now everything is the same and boring.

RANDOM means, well, random.


ran┬Ědom
?rand?m/Submit
adjective

made, done, happening, or chosen without method or conscious decision.
odd, unusual, or unexpected.


So RANDOM loot means loot chosen without conscious decision. The loot is only limited by well, limits - as in from a set of properties and those properties auto scale to the minimum level of the item.

So if you don't want RANDOM in your loot, then get to grinding out cannith crafting levels! :)

So instead of complaining about the quality of the random loot, why not actually complain about the real issue: your luck.

:cool:

Captain_Pengie
01-28-2016, 02:35 AM
...RANDOM loot means loot chosen without conscious decision.

You are working from a very false premise - there are clearly defined rules and decisions involved in the generation of loot. Yes there is randomness built within the selection process to decide which effect goes into what slot, but the set of effects applicable to each item and slot type is very much controlled by a conscious decision.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468541-Random-Loot-Effects-Per-Slot

Yes its been refined since that list, but that was the start and the final one is not that different and it is this set of rules and the chance of an effect type appearing in a slot by item type which needs to be tweaked.

When weapons have (in theory) a 1 in 8 chance of a spell prefix, 2 in 17 of spell suffix and a 1 in 10 chance of a spell related extra you would expect some of the other effects to appear with just as much regularity. But guess what - it DOES NOT HAPPEN. When you play the game on a daily basis and have yet to see an Armour Piercing X of Doublestrike Y with Insightful Vertigo Z (or any of the other melee related combinations which should be equally possible) but have seen many many many many +Spell Power of Spell Critical with Spell Penetration then something is very very wrong.

This isn't a matter of luck on a purely random roll - it is a set of defined rules which needs to be refined so that 99.9999% if all armour/weapon/shield loot generated isn't a waste of space to non-casters.

EllisDee37
01-28-2016, 02:56 AM
This is for Update 29 Patch 2. Just bug fixes, including some polish for random loot. One of the more annoying bugs we're squashing is an issue where ingredient stacks sometimes won't go into bags.Omg, if this is the fix I'm thinking of, yay!

Many times I end up with a "bad" item in a stack. No idea what causes it; I certainly don't dup. The fix is to drag either 1 or all but 1 of the stack to a new stack, then autocollect. Eventually you're left with the 1 bad one that doesn't go in bags, which I then destroy. Happens most often with comms of valor, but also dragonshards and probably anything stackable. I always dread the day when it happens to a small stack of valuable items, like LDS.

This bug has annoying the bejesus outta me for months.

amylee4000
01-28-2016, 03:28 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/y647a.gif

Kompera_Oberon
01-28-2016, 08:39 AM
This is for Update 29 Patch 2. Just bug fixes, including some polish for random loot. One of the more annoying bugs we're squashing is an issue where ingredient stacks sometimes won't go into bags.Yay! Any time I surpass the stack limit (typically with dragonshard fragments) I've been forced to crunch the full stack down a bit at the Stone of Change, then bank the excess, then pull them back into my inv, and only then will they go into a bag. I hope that is a part of this fix, because I've not encountered any other case where things don't go into bags when they should.

But then I have no idea what a "ladder bug" is, either. I have maybe twice in a little over a year of play had a bit of a stutter while climbing a ladder, and I thought was just a bit of lag, not a bug associated with climbing a ladder.

Kompera_Oberon
01-28-2016, 08:49 AM
Can stack sizes be increased for the Red Bags?

http://ddowiki.com/page/Bags

Check out the difference in progression between red and green bags. I would be in favor of more collectables if the Red Bags got a pass ;)

Prolly not, because you can buy the Huge Colectibles bag which holds 200 different things, and right now that seems to be more than is needed for the collectibles currently in the game.

Kompera_Oberon
01-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Sweet! Of course, I've only ever noticed this is you are 'maxing' an existing stack inside of one bag, and then go and try to deposit the remaining inventory stack into another. Gums the whole thing up, 'til you re-log.

But, uh...how about the quiver bug? The one where you select a stack of ammo in the quiver and then either move it up or down, and it gets automatically de-selected, so if you want to move it up/down more than once you have to re-select it - every - single - time - you - move - it? Is that in there, too?

{Hoping, hoping, hoping...}
;)

In case this helps with the eventual (hopefully) debugging, the stack of arrows/bolts is not actually de-selected. But to get it to show that it is still selected so it can be moved you need to scroll up or down using the scroll bar. Only then will it show as still being selected and can be moved again using the up/down arrows.

Kompera_Oberon
01-28-2016, 08:58 AM
just out of curiousity, has it been discussed about having an update with no new features, but simply fixing things?

I know we need content, but this would go a long way towards retaining peeps.

maybe say every update, the 2nd patch will be nothing but fixes?

just a random though from a brain on exhaustion.

I have advocated for this many times in the past, and so naturally I think it is an excellent idea!

We don't need an update like U29, with buggy legendary green steel, buggy lootgen changes, buggy Cannith Crafting, buggy raids, and buggy bug bugs. We need a game with a whole lot fewer bugs.

Sunnie
01-28-2016, 09:02 AM
Yay! Any time I surpass the stack limit (typically with dragonshard fragments) I've been forced to crunh the full stack down a bit at the Stone of Change, then bank the excess, then pull them back into my inv, and only then will they go into a bag. I hope that is a part of this fix, because I've not encountered any other case where things don't go into bags when they should.

But then I have no idea what a "ladder bug" is, either. I have maybe twice in a little over a year of play had a bit of a stutter while climbing a ladder, and I thought was just a bit of lag, not a bug associated with climbing a ladder.
Splitting and manually recombining the fragments that didn't go in into a full stack works, too.

Kompera_Oberon
01-28-2016, 09:07 AM
A guildie pulled a set of chainmail tonight. With a +10% incoming repair amplification. Because WF so can wear chainmail. And fleshies so need to be repaired.
How dare you exclude the legion of Artificers with Construct Essence from the possibility of pulling that choice piece of loot!?! :p

I kid, but only a little, because except for armor with Keen and ranged weapons with "on melee critical" effects (and I've pulled both) there are probably always going to be some players who can use an item of loot others consider to be junk. And tailoring the loot tables to only pander to the more mainstream builds is not a good idea.

Elsbet
01-28-2016, 09:20 AM
An update with no new content and only bug fixes isn't an update, it's a patch - just a really big one. While the idea is nice on the surface, it would do a lot of harm to the game and player base if we went too long without new content. I would be happier if hey put out high quality new content and focused their efforts on say, just a new player race or just a new story arc with a dedicated percentage of bug fixes rather than attempting new content, new crafting, new loot system, and new whosywhatsits and it is all mediocre or worse like this last update - completely busted and "uninspired".

All releases tend to have emergency updates because of unintended consequences. In 20 years in IT, I've never not seen a major release go out without a corresponding emergency patch to fix something. That is reality. Turbine could mitigate this though. Consistent, scheduled patches to start systematically working away at the bug list would be nice in addition to the updates. Monthly is a place to start and even if they just ticked off two-five little things a month, that would to a long way. Minus the months with an update release (say four), that's eight patches for a total of 16-40 fixed bugs and exponentially happier players.

Happy players get their friends to play. More players = more money.

Elsbet
01-28-2016, 09:26 AM
How dare you exclude the legion of Artificers with Construct Essence from the possibility of pulling that choice piece of loot!?! :p

I kid, but only a little, because except for armor with Keen and ranged weapons with "on melee critical" effects (and I've pulled both) there are probably always going to be some players who can use an item of loot others consider to be junk. And tailoring the loot tables to only pander to the more mainstream builds is not a good idea.

Perhaps not, but some things just make no sense on any plane of reality. SableShadow is right (shhh. don't tell him I said so), not all the loot that drops is ****. I've accidentally pulled a couple of decent things, including one I passed to him, but it is overwhelmingly useless in more than half the cases. Bows with melee effects are ridiculous. Morningstars with ranged effects make my brain bleed.

And I really, really want my wisdom item off my damned goggles. :( Guess I'm gonna have to craft something. Blech.

Kompera_Oberon
01-28-2016, 09:30 AM
When weapons have (in theory) a 1 in 8 chance of a spell prefix, 2 in 17 of spell suffix and a 1 in 10 chance of a spell related extra you would expect some of the other effects to appear with just as much regularity. But guess what - it DOES NOT HAPPEN.

The problem, or at least a part of the problem, might be that all effects are given an equal weight. If instead they grouped effects into logical sets such as melee, ranged, spell power, etc. and then gave equal weights to those sets you might see more items for the characters who can use effects from the sets with a lower set membership.

In case that is as clear as mud, here is an example. It's not intended to reflect the game state but is only for purposes of making an example:

Set 1: Melee effects (7 members)
Parrying, Seeker, Armor Piercing, Alacrity, Elemental Damages, Vorpal, Paralyzing

Set 2: Spell effects (10 members)
Combustion, Corrosion, Devotion, Glaciation, Impulse, Magnetism, Nullification, Potency, Resonance, Reconstruction

If all these effects are given an equal weight then there is an ~59% chance to get a spell effect, and an ~41% chance to get a melee effect, and all players will see more "caster items" drop than "melee items."

If instead the sets are determined first then there is a 50% chance for either a "caster item" or a "melee item" to drop. However, there is a disadvantage to this system as well, because then casters will need to pick up more drops before they, on average, find an item which is both generating an effect from the Spell effects set and which generates the specific effect they are looking for.

Sunnie
01-28-2016, 10:14 AM
If instead the sets are determined first then there is a 50% chance for either a "caster item" or a "melee item" to drop. However, there is a disadvantage to this system as well, because then casters will need to pick up more drops before they, on average, find an item which is both generating an effect from the Spell effects set and which generates the specific effect they are looking for.
That "base end reward on class" thing should help a bit with that.

96th_Malice
01-28-2016, 10:16 AM
Awesome, a bit more polish for the random loot will go a long way, and bug fixes always welcome!

naw ... I was really liking all the bows that had melee threat reduction on em !!

Deep down I was trying to find a way to use the bow as a melee weapon ... and still do damage

TPICKRELL
01-28-2016, 10:30 AM
Omg, if this is the fix I'm thinking of, yay!

Many times I end up with a "bad" item in a stack. No idea what causes it; ....

I've duplicated this far to frequently by auto collecting part of a stack into a bag. IE my bag can hold 1000 widgets, and currently it has 990 widgets.

I have 100 widgets in my inventory. I hit auto collect to fill the bag up. The partial stack remaining in my inventory (the 90 widgets that didn't fit in the bag) will usually be a bugged stack.

I've always been able to fix a stack by dragging one off to make a new stack then dragging the old stack onto the new stack, thus destroying the bugged stack.

Cordovan
01-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Release Notes (https://www.ddo.com/en/update-29-patch-2-release-notes) are up.

SableShadow
01-28-2016, 10:40 AM
Release Notes (https://www.ddo.com/en/update-29-patch-2-release-notes) are up.

w00t!

ComicRelief
01-28-2016, 10:42 AM
In case this helps with the eventual (hopefully) debugging, the stack of arrows/bolts is not actually de-selected. But to get it to show that it is still selected so it can be moved you need to scroll up or down using the scroll bar. Only then will it show as still being selected and can be moved again using the up/down arrows.

I'll try that. Thanks!
;)

mikarddo
01-28-2016, 10:45 AM
Release Notes (https://www.ddo.com/en/update-29-patch-2-release-notes) are up.



Items
Skills now say they are a Competence bonus instead of an Enhancement bonus.
Concentration will no longer show a value of +0.
Several spell critical effects now have their correct names.
The text for Riposte and Parry effects have been corrected.
Corrected the descriptions for Insightful and Quality Sheltering.
End reward items should no longer sometimes appear "blank".
The text on stat draining effects has been corrected.
Legendary Greensteel negative level effects no longer affect allies.
Legendary Greensteel Tier 1 Enhancement bonuses to ability scores have been increased to +15.
Legendary Greensteel Tier 1 Enhancement bonuses to spell points have been changed to a Profane bonus, and reduced in overall amount.
Legendary Greensteel Tier 1 Enhancement bonuses to hit points have been changed to a Profane bonus, and reduced in overall amount.
Stacks of ingredients will no longer sometimes be unable to go into an ingredients bag.
Insight bonus effects on items will not appear below level 10 loot.
Extra effects on random loot will not appear below level 10 loot.
Spellsight has now returned as a possible benefit on random loot.
Master of Knowledge now works more consistently, and no longer procs if you have Warlock's Eldritch Aura active.
The bonus effect given when all five Abishai Cookies are consumed has returned.


Thanks, however nothing else about the naming of random loot? In particular those with Spell Resistance that dont show the name at all? I.e. "Belt". But also about getting a naming scheme that shows all effects rather than just 2 out of 3 (at best)

arrowstopper
01-28-2016, 10:54 AM
What I like about random loot is PP! lol When I am running a toon thart needs bolts all I get is arrows >> When I run WF I get armor lol Its crazy and I love it ..

mikarddo
01-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Enhancements

The artificer Arcanotechnician's Thaumaturgical Battery base effect no longer stacks large numbers of copies of itself on players, which was causing game performance issues.

Epic Destinies

Fatesinger's Intoxicating Presence no longer stacks large numbers of copies of its effect on players, which was causing game performance issues.


I am happy these are fixed. However, considering that hardly anyone plays artificers these days or in Fatesinger and certainly not in raids I doubt it will have much impact. But, here is to hoping it actually has a positive effect :)

DANTEIL
01-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Thanks, however nothing else about the naming of random loot? In particular those with Spell Resistance that dont show the name at all? I.e. "Belt". But also about getting a naming scheme that shows all effects rather than just 2 out of 3 (at best)

I kind of agree with this. A couple of these fixes are nice (no more +0, no more 'blank' items) but it would be good to know at this point whether the Developers have a plan for doing a more thorough revamp of the random loot names and effects. This just feels like nibbling around the edges. Should we just expect further nibbles over time?

Steelstar
01-28-2016, 11:05 AM
I am happy these are fixed. However, considering that hardly anyone plays artificers these days or in Fatesinger and certainly not in raids I doubt it will have much impact. But, here is to hoping it actually has a positive effect :)

It should have SOME* amount of impact on all the following (in order of most-to-least impact):

People who currently have those abilities (the longer you've had them, the more likely this will help)
People who previously had these abilities in their current life, even if they don't currently
People who examine a character in either of the above two states
Any player in the same zone with someone who examines a character in either of the first two states


*SOME does not necessarily mean "enough to be noticed". Results will vary.

SableShadow
01-28-2016, 11:05 AM
I am happy these are fixed. However, considering that hardly anyone plays artificers these days or in Fatesinger and certainly not in raids I doubt it will have much impact.

I dunno, man ... if a melee is filling in arcane eTRs, I'd wager they're generally doing it in Fatesinger for the melee power if nothing else.
Plus, any character without full destinies is going to do fatesinger at least once.

Ran a tempest spine last night; leader was an arti.

I like that they are finding these; seems like their "find stuff that's applying itself multiple times" logging is doing something.
Encouraging.


It should have SOME* amount of impact on all the following (in order of most-to-least impact):

People who currently have those abilities (the longer you've had them, the more likely this will help)
People who previously had these abilities in their current life, even if they don't currently
People who examine a character in either of the above two states
Any player in the same zone with someone who examines a character in either of the first two states


*SOME does not necessarily mean "enough to be noticed". Results will vary.

So ... this is the source (or at least a major contributor) to the "character is bugged, causes lag" thing that people were having support rebuild their character over.

UurlockYgmeov
01-28-2016, 11:25 AM
It should have SOME* amount of impact on all the following (in order of most-to-least impact):

People who currently have those abilities (the longer you've had them, the more likely this will help)
People who previously had these abilities in their current life, even if they don't currently
People who examine a character in either of the above two states
Any player in the same zone with someone who examines a character in either of the first two states


*SOME does not necessarily mean "enough to be noticed". Results will vary.

Spring MUST be around the corner - the Dev humours have returned! :P

EllisDee37
01-28-2016, 11:56 AM
Can stack sizes be increased for the Red Bags?

http://ddowiki.com/page/Bags

Check out the difference in progression between red and green bags. I would be in favor of more collectables if the Red Bags got a pass ;)
Prolly not, because you can buy the Huge Colectibles bag which holds 200 different things, and right now that seems to be more than is needed for the collectibles currently in the game.Stack size is how many of one thing can go in a bag -- 1000 for all red bags -- not the unique item capacity, which is 200 for the huge.

UurlockYgmeov
01-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Stack size is how many of one thing can go in a bag -- 1000 for all red bags -- not the unique item capacity, which is 200 for the huge.

I distinctively remember Severlin stating that they were investigating bag stack size.... Hopefully I am both correct in my remembrance, and in reminding them of this. :)

IconicHero
01-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Release Notes (https://www.ddo.com/en/update-29-patch-2-release-notes) are up.

I will miss the spellpoints at first tier replacing current sp items but do see why this is being done! However there is a big fix that needs to be done that is the constant disconnects in changing toon and use of the ddo store i hope this can be address soon i know a "fix" has hit the release notes before but this is still not fixed!

Also can you tell us what the new profane bonus for first tier is since it says reduced tier 2 is 151 so would expect it would be higher and quality last tier is 75 but was stated it would be less than current enhancement bonus of 302

Kompera_Oberon
01-28-2016, 12:22 PM
That "base end reward on class" thing should help a bit with that.

I'm not sure that check box does what you think it does. For me it seems that I am given weapons and armor my characters can wear, but the effects on those weapons and armor still seem to be very random. Also, I am a Cleric of the Sovereign Host. With that box checked I see a lot of light and heavy maces and very few longswords, because clerics are not proficient with longswords...

moomooprincess
01-28-2016, 12:23 PM
hmm, I was hoping for a quick turn around. I am losing my confidence.

Come on. I got my haircut and I am now cleaning the bathrooms.

SAVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunnie
01-28-2016, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure that check box does what you think it does. For me it seems that I am given weapons and armor my characters can wear, but the effects on those weapons and armor still seem to be very random. Also, I am a Cleric of the Sovereign Host. With that box checked I see a lot of light and heavy maces and very few longswords, because clerics are not proficient with longswords...
I'm actully not at all sure what the checkbox does exactly, but it does seem like the kind of thing that SHOULD help with that.

SableShadow
01-28-2016, 12:30 PM
I'm actully not at all sure what the checkbox does exactly, but it does seem like the kind of thing that SHOULD help with that.

It's another abandoned system.

When banishing/smiting/puncturing were on crit effects, bet your sweet bippy I had that checked, because I'd see more rapiers (amidst all the leather armor and crossbows).

Dual banishing rapiers, running Coal Chamber, and watching the mobs melt ...

Now I leave it unchecked, so I can see moar daggers and items on other slots.

Livmo
01-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Stack size is how many of one thing can go in a bag -- 1000 for all red bags -- not the unique item capacity, which is 200 for the huge.

Both need a pass. I wish the Red Bag progression was the same as the Greens, both stack sizes and unique items. Red Bags could use some love. It would be sad if new collectables were added to the game without addressing the Red Bags 1st.

FranOhmsford
01-28-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm actully not at all sure what the checkbox does exactly, but it does seem like the kind of thing that SHOULD help with that.

It's useless!

It tends to give you the exact opposite of what you want!

And one other thing about End-Rewards that annoys me is you get {no matter what class you're playing or whether you have this turned on or off} 5-6 choices of Armour, one weapon and one other possibility!

Devs: Most RNG Armour is utterly useless!
There's more than enough GOOD to Great named Armours in the game that filling up End-Reward Lists with Armours is irritating!

Hardy btw should go on Belts and Bracers - Get it off RNG Armours!

Cordovan
01-28-2016, 12:42 PM
The worlds have reopened.

UurlockYgmeov
01-28-2016, 12:43 PM
The worlds have reopened.
YEAH!

I was running out of computer maintenance things to do....

:)

and nice! ahead of schedule!

moomooprincess
01-28-2016, 12:47 PM
hmm, I was hoping for a quick turn around. I am losing my confidence.

Come on. I got my haircut and I am now cleaning the bathrooms.

SAVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahead of schedule. You saved me.

SableShadow
01-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Ahead of schedule. You saved me.

Or ... did they?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8of00uEVRRA

Memnir
01-28-2016, 12:56 PM
The worlds have reopened.Maybe they should reclose?
Because (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/471091-Worlds-open-update-looks-buggy) reasons (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/471092-AH-names-broken).

Augon
01-28-2016, 01:01 PM
Lots of items on Auction House have Stringtable Errors

dreamzz08
01-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Cookies are still broken as well. Wtg devs.

Kompera_Oberon
01-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Cookies are still broken as well. Wtg devs.

What's up with cookies? I haven't used one in ages and I've not seen any other reports about them being broken.

dreamzz08
01-28-2016, 01:43 PM
What's up with cookies? I haven't used one in ages and I've not seen any other reports about them being broken.

When your Toon consumed all five of the Abishai cookies you got a special buff, well they decided to change two of the cookies to spells so now the cookies are borked. They were supposed to have been fixed in this update per the release notes but after several attempts at trying to use them they are still broken.

sjbb87
01-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Lots of items on Auction House have Stringtable Errors

We cant see the buff from itens in AH

SableShadow
01-28-2016, 01:48 PM
Well, we were complaining that some effects were harder to find on the AH than others; now all effects are equally difficult to find...

You're a DM, aren't you?

dreamzz08
01-28-2016, 01:49 PM
In order to fix the string table errors put item in inventory and then reexamine

Silverleafeon
01-28-2016, 01:50 PM
LGS

Tier 1 ~ bonus sp shard now is +151 profane
Tier 2 ~ bonus sp shard is +151 insight

Silverleafeon
01-28-2016, 01:52 PM
Maybe the auction house needs blinking, or just plain waiting out till they expire?

New stuff is not string table error?
Or?

GramercyRiff
01-28-2016, 01:55 PM
Biggest problem is stuff in TR cache. Can't put that back into the cache. Can't tell what it is. Somewhat of a Catch-22.

I do like that now numeric values are in the title of an item from a practical standpoint, though aesthetically it looks terrible.

Ovrad
01-28-2016, 02:02 PM
New random gen wraps are still not doing the damage effects, apart from the first die. (5d6 does only 1d6 and such)

But you know, monks, nobody cares right?

Kompera_Oberon
01-28-2016, 03:30 PM
In order to fix the string table errors put item in inventory and then reexamine
Hard to do that when you're looking at the AH, eh?

I haven't seen this for myself, just read it a few posts up. I'll probably wait to play for the emergency hotfix or whatever they do to fix the bugs their bug fix patch caused.

Kompera_Oberon
01-28-2016, 07:31 PM
Hmmm, looking at the Turbine posts in a different light it seems clear, even though they haven't said so directly, that they do not intend to fix the string error issue. They just want to wait for it to expire on its own. Which works fine for items in your bank, is not great but still only has a 72 hour duration for the AH/ASAH, and is completely horrible for anyone with these items in a TR cache.

Kadrios
01-28-2016, 08:11 PM
Not sure if it is just a problem on my machine, but since the update, whenever I'm running the game in fullscreen mode (so basically all the time), the windows icon from my toolbar (but not the rest of my toolbar, appears floating over the ddo menu icon.

has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Silverleafeon
01-28-2016, 08:44 PM
spellsight appears to be a bonus to search and spellcraft?

interesting


or maybe that +12 int boost on the item raised the search?

Kadrios
01-29-2016, 09:00 AM
+0 bonuses are still appearing it seems, pulled an ML10 item with a +0 insightful bonus to necromancy. Can't test if this is just a display error however as I have no necro spells

cdbd3rd
01-29-2016, 09:22 AM
I logged in for a few minutes to do my Golden freebie rolls. Stopped to kill a few scorpions in Haver'.


Had level 4ish item with "Insight" skill in the end reward list. (Notes say level 10+ gear for Insight now.)

Hazelnut
02-01-2016, 08:40 AM
spellsight appears to be a bonus to search and spellcraft?

interesting


or maybe that +12 int boost on the item raised the search?

Seriously? Darn. I dumped one of those thinking it was just spellcraft. Do you think there will be any spothaggle items in the future?