PDA

View Full Version : Downtime Notice: Thursday, December 17th

Pages : [1] 2

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 03:57 PM
UPDATE: The game worlds have reopened! Additionally, we have re-enabled the Astral Shard Auction House and Cannith Crafting Halls. There was a character data rollback to the point we brought down the game worlds on Thursday morning, Eastern time. We apologize for today's downtime.

The game worlds are currently unavailable while we investigate and resolve an issue with randomly-generated items. We will keep you updated, but be aware that it is likely the game worlds will remain unavailable until late tonight, Eastern time. We will have more information on our resolution following an investigation and the work being done and checked.

FifthTime
12-17-2015, 03:59 PM
*facepalm*

Oh well. At least I downloaded Fallen Earth this afternoon.

Steve_Howe
12-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Oh well. Was going to see Star Wars tonight anyway.

No big loss.

Cleanincubus
12-17-2015, 04:05 PM
An Update that was shoved out so quickly, that players were asking for it to be delayed, before we were even giving a release date. Massive bugs that cause systems to be closed. Random loot being all wonky, because a full version was never shown to players. Absolutely shocking. /sarcasm

Lerl
12-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Do what you need to do. We will be here.

/popcorn

Zirun
12-17-2015, 04:08 PM
"An" issue?

I spent maybe an hour online, and I could tell you at least a half-dozen "issues" with the new random loot... Affixes not appearing in loot names (and I don't mean extra 3rd effects, I mean one of the two primary effects), not all items using the updated scheme (I found a ML13 item with Deception I on it), no special border on items with 3 effects, bonuses of +0 on items, Doublestrike on Handwraps being listed as "Doubleshot" in the name, I found a Mighty Ring of Swim that gave Swim and... Diplomacy... Because Mighty = Diplomacy? And there's no way to tell the ML of an item without hovering over it... add it to the name or the icon, please.

I really hope you can roll back the loot entirely and release it after Christmas (or later... however long it takes) so it all actually works properly... And maybe tone down the power a bit while you're at it. The idea's good, but the execution is just...

Souless
12-17-2015, 04:10 PM
The game worlds are currently unavailable while we investigate and resolve an issue with randomly-generated items. We will keep you updated, but be aware that it is likely the game worlds will remain unavailable until late tonight, Eastern time. We will have more information on our resolution following an investigation and the work being done and checked.

I think here is the appropriate place to say "we told you so". The way the release was rushed out. Do you guys need overtime that bad there? I thought Turbine was trying to make money. EVERYONE that I speak to and play in game with, were fine with you guys waiting until the new year to launch CORRECTLY. And by correctly, I mean error free.

*FACEPALM*

The Bytcher~

slarden
12-17-2015, 04:10 PM
Thank you for responding so quickly to the issue.

Will there be a rollback?

xberto
12-17-2015, 04:12 PM
I saw real cool piece of armor with Keen I....equip on halfling, throw halfling with expanded crit damage

paramedicduck
12-17-2015, 04:15 PM
I was in the middle of a korthos quest as I had recently htred and pulled a level 4 int +4 and umd 5 bonus....seems useless too me at low levels

Mithis
12-17-2015, 04:19 PM
I sure hope this does not result in a rollback...

I have been farming Grimm and Barrett since it came out and I FINALLY pulled an Epic Docent of Insight on my first run after the 'update'...

Flavilandile
12-17-2015, 04:20 PM
I thought Turbine was trying to make money. EVERYONE that I speak to and play in game with, were fine with you guys waiting until the new year to launch CORRECTLY. And by correctly, I mean error free.

Sadly the people we have in front of us are not the one making the call... the guys making the calls are the marketdroids from Warner Bros, and they have a Quarter to fill with revenue... and an update 2/3 weeks before the end of the quarter will do a lot towards filling the revenues for said quarter. They say : release or get fired. So the worker bees just release, even if it's unfinished, mess, and bug riddled.
Then they can turn back towards the WB Marketdroids/financial PHBs and say : We told you so... now we need to close the worlds indefinitely to fix all the broken things. That's an indefinite number of hours during which you will not get any revenue.

The main issue is that the WB Marketdroids/financial PHBs are unable to learn from mistakes. And every quater they try to pull off the same idiocy. Some quarters it somewhat works, others it fail...

catouse9
12-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Do what you need to do. We will be here.

/popcorn

I wanna see what my junk items changed into-I don't really have anything good...more less great.

Laoshifeng
12-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Just once it would be nice if an update could go live without this kind of thing happening. Devs, in the future please listen to your customers who were clamouring for this not to go up so soon.

redoubt
I think here is the appropriate place to say "we told you so". The way the release was rushed out. Do you guys need overtime that bad there? I thought Turbine was trying to make money. EVERYONE that I speak to and play in game with, were fine with you guys waiting until the new year to launch CORRECTLY. And by correctly, I mean error free.

*FACEPALM*

The Bytcher~

Yep... I would have been fine if you delayed the launch, but what happened today ****es me off.

Djnnmajic
This is funny to me because since last night Ive been saying its too soon there will be one issue or another because this is being pushed out too soon. I love when people prove me right. Not only is legendary green steel a gigantic disappointment but the just the lack of attention to your player base just astounds me. I just want to congratulate you on not taking the time to make sure the job was done right the first time and destroying the launch of the content people have been waiting years on.

catouse9
12-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Thank you for responding so quickly to the issue.

Will there be a rollback?
proper way to act

+one:cool:

LordIntrigue
12-17-2015, 04:24 PM
CORRECTLY. And by correctly, I mean error free.

*FACEPALM*

The Bytcher~

when has that ever happened

keefer1
12-17-2015, 04:25 PM
Rolled 07/04/07 same with every update....cyas next Tuesday or so...we will be back online then

blerkington
12-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Yep... I would have been fine if you delayed the launch, but what happened today ****es me off.

Hi,

The truly sad thing about this is nothing will be learnt from it. We get a bunch of downtime, an all too brief respite of the nonsense from 'all is fine' crowd on the forums, and then it will be back to business as usual.

Maybe instead of heading off to the movies once the servers are back online, you guys should conduct an in-depth review how these problems occurred and change your practices so that they can't happen again. Like a team of conscientious professionals would.

Thanks.

BigErkyKid
12-17-2015, 04:30 PM
What is there to say?

Lence
12-17-2015, 04:32 PM
but be aware that it is likely the game worlds will remain unavailable until late tonight, Eastern time.

Don't hate, these guys need to get their Star Wars on too.

patang01
12-17-2015, 04:38 PM

Not to get smacked by the wrath of the fanbois telling us all that it's all good and we should be royally happy - but you know that we could have avoided most of this by at least allowing another update on Lam over the weekend.

Eryhn
12-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Don't hate, these guys need to get their Star Wars on too.

one should only fight one war at a time ...

Powerhungry
12-17-2015, 04:48 PM
This is not a doom thread- this is--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NteAPGprDJk&feature=youtu.be

patang01
12-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Oh well Sword Coast Legends is 50% off right now with free play over the weekend on steam.

Eryhn
12-17-2015, 04:57 PM
maybe this is a calculated catastrophe with the intent to make a point to WB suits that their demands transcend reality ...

ZzpxpzZ
12-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Boohoo we lose an afternoon.

I for one am definitely happy they launched the update today. I will happily lose a day in exchange for getting this update earlier. I've been waiting.

KoobTheProud
12-17-2015, 05:06 PM
I saw real cool piece of armor with Keen I....equip on halfling, throw halfling with expanded crit damage

Now if that had been "Toss Dwarf" instead of "Throw Halfling" it would have been golden.

Bill_Jones
12-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Hi,

The truly sad thing about this is nothing will be learnt from it. We get a bunch of downtime, an all too brief respite of the nonsense from 'all is fine' crowd on the forums, and then it will be back to business as usual.

Maybe instead of heading off to the movies once the servers are back online, you guys should conduct an in-depth review how these problems occurred and change your practices so that they can't happen again. Like a team of conscientious professionals would.

Thanks.

In their defense, it's a business and they need to make "things" (content and micro-transaction baubles) to make a profit so I can keep playing the game, so the onus of "pushing content out the door" is heavy.
However, I agree they need to do more testing before releasing a product. This has happened too frequently to be a casual "oops", but more of a problem with the coding in general. Understandable since the content is hand-crafted and every line of code could adversely affect the game. I applaud their efforts to make positive changes (increasing difficulty via Monster Champions, revamping the enhancement trees, adding gnomes later!), but pinning down the problem, as Blerk mentioned, would help a lot.

Thanks and see you in-game SOON.

zorander6
maybe this is a calculated catastrophe with the intent to make a point to WB suits that their demands transcend reality ...

Sadly it's not that simple most likely.
Excuse caps in the following for emphasis:
Big MGR: "WE NEED MAOR MONEY NAOW!!!!!!!!"
Middle MGR: "Well we are working on an update for next month..."
Big MGR: "RELEASE IT NAOW!!!!! I NEED MY BONUS!!!!!"

Middle MGR: "Release the code!"
Developer: "Are you sure? It's completely broken!"
Middle Mgr: "Do it or lose your job!"

Developer: "Ok, here you go."

Several hours later:
Big MGR: "WHY IS IT BROKEN!!!!???????!!!!"
Middle MGR: "Well the developers didn't tell me it was broken!"
Developer: "***? I told you before we deployed."

Been there, done that, don't miss it.

Blivit

So, if a Halfling player dons this armor, I can pick him up and throw him as a weapon? AWESOME! Can we throw Dwarves, too, like in the Battle of Helm's deep in one of the LOTR movies? I don't think this mechanic would work so well in PvE, but might be a really good time for PvP groups :-)

ccd1977
12-17-2015, 05:08 PM
I think here is the appropriate place to say "we told you so". The way the release was rushed out. Do you guys need overtime that bad there? I thought Turbine was trying to make money. EVERYONE that I speak to and play in game with, were fine with you guys waiting until the new year to launch CORRECTLY. And by correctly, I mean error free.*FACEPALM*The Bytcher~I think you mean Quivering Palm!

KoobTheProud
12-17-2015, 05:10 PM
I think some people forget from time to time that F2P games aren't actually free.

I keep seeing ****ed off comments about selling things to players and I'm wondering what the commenters think actually keeps DDO going in the absence of such?

elvesunited
12-17-2015, 05:11 PM
I wonder if they're going to try to rollback.
From what I read those who logged in for the hour it was up found a lot of their equipment to be badly messed up.

( Many with minimum level increased. Some completely rendered powerless. )

quintarch
12-17-2015, 05:12 PM
a noobish question i know, but i honestly am not sure where on the forum to look.

Cymbelyne
12-17-2015, 05:12 PM
What is there to say?

Nothing TO say. Missed a deadline. That's just messed up. /shrug Don't shoot the messenger! :p

kanordog
12-17-2015, 05:15 PM
a noobish question i know, but i honestly am not sure where on the forum to look.

In the case of emergency shutdowns try this:
http://www.trusted-psychics.co.uk/?gclid=CKi0mdSC5MkCFSfnwgodDQwIsw

Disclaimer:
(Sry, it has nothing to do with being noobish, it was just too tempting as noone ever knows...)

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 05:16 PM
We do get that folks are frustrated, and completely understand. It's an unfortunate situation, and one we are working to resolve as quickly as possible. That said, we will not allow people to sling profanity and insults at us or each other. Tonight's issues don't give people permission to break the rules. Thanks!

quintarch
12-17-2015, 05:18 PM
In the case of emergency shutdowns try this:
http://www.trusted-psychics.co.uk/?gclid=CKi0mdSC5MkCFSfnwgodDQwIsw

Disclaimer:
(Sry, it has nothing to do with being noobish, it was just too tempting as noone ever knows...)

my thanks, i will look there.

Cymbelyne
12-17-2015, 05:18 PM
... the lousy tee shirt. Not worth it at all. Total party foul. :rolleyes:

Sadly it's not that simple most likely.
Excuse caps in the following for emphasis:
Big MGR: "WE NEED MAOR MONEY NAOW!!!!!!!!"
Middle MGR: "Well we are working on an update for next month..."
Big MGR: "RELEASE IT NAOW!!!!! I NEED MY BONUS!!!!!"

Middle MGR: "Release the code!"
Developer: "Are you sure? It's completely broken!"
Middle Mgr: "Do it or lose your job!"

Developer: "Ok, here you go."

Several hours later:
Big MGR: "WHY IS IT BROKEN!!!!???????!!!!"
Middle MGR: "Well the developers didn't tell me it was broken!"
Developer: "***? I told you before we deployed."

Been there, done that, don't miss it.

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 05:19 PM
I wonder if they're going to try to rollback.
From what I read those who logged in for the hour it was up found a lot of their equipment to be badly messed up.

( Many with minimum level increased. Some completely rendered powerless. )

We are currently investigating the issues seen with randomly-generated loot both new and old, and will decide whether to work toward a fix or revert back to the pre-U29 random-gen loot system. Both involve some work and time, and both will require us to do a new game build. Since compiling a new build tends to take some time, it is likely we will not have the game worlds open until late tonight or perhaps early morning Eastern. We will keep people updated.

quintarch

checked it, turns out that i prefer miss cleo.

wiliamsane
Bravo , another update which upholds to recent DDO standarts ..
I wonder how did your yesterday discusion looked like ? Lets publish it tomorow and everything that we missed might disapear ? Or just lets fix it at last time ? We will surely work much better with few hours deadline during emergency shutdown..

Cordovan - 12-16-2015 : Yup! Then the power went out this morning. (Seriously, there was a building-wide outage this morning, then some additional work needed to restore Internet service.) We will be discussing our plans tonight and decide whether/when we are ready to release.

I don´t mind downtime at all , but thing that makes me sad is this behaviour .. it is no small update where you add some quests and maybe some class enhancment pass .. you have raised level cap , with little to no notice to let people get to cap and tr (i know few people missed it) you have messed up with random loot etc

I know you have deadlines or need to acomplish some numbers , also i know the rule that faeces flow from top to bottom... but this result can´t look good either

At least in one thing you did not disapointed .. and that is : i would be disapointed .. so cheers i guess

kanordog
12-17-2015, 05:20 PM

Yeah, depends on what't the issue.
they will update the forum post about the downtime as well as the launcher.

zorander6
12-17-2015, 05:21 PM
... the lousy tee shirt. Not worth it at all. Total party foul. :rolleyes:

At least you got a t-shirt.

Waylayer
12-17-2015, 05:23 PM
We are currently investigating the issues seen with randomly-generated loot both new and old, and will decide whether to work toward a fix or revert back to the pre-U29 random-gen loot system. Both involve some work and time, and both will require us to do a new game build. Since compiling a new build tends to take some time, it is likely we will not have the game worlds open until late tonight or perhaps early morning Eastern. We will keep people updated.

While I miss playing; the XP I earned thanks you for not rolling back :)

ifumoveudie
12-17-2015, 05:24 PM
It has been over 4 years since I last logged onto the game, and now it has been delayed another day. Oh the horrors!!! But seriously, why roll out bug-infested updates during the day, why not just make the magical underpants gnomes do the work while we all sleep? Just saying.....

dignyfigns
12-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Hoping we all will be playing soon. :)

LostinAstralPlane
12-17-2015, 05:35 PM
May I ask, why so hush hush on the release of this Update? Most of us KNEW it was coming near the end of the month IF the update was successful (well at least successful to the point where the game wasn't broken). Any other update in the past there was weeks and weeks of hype (if not months), now the only info we had was on the Lamannia server. What is the point of the Lamannia Test server if you don't take into account all the tickets?

Second, most updates are done on Tuesday, why did you do this update just before the weekend on Thursday? (something to think about in the future, maybe)?

Third, when making major changes that DIRECTLY affect our characters SUCH AS XP CHANGES then you should at least give us some warning BEFORE the update.:mad:
It would have been nice to have time for everyone for at least one weekend to get to the same playing field. e.g. not having your character "Stuck" at a level for over 1.3 million XP+ at the lower epic levels.

This post is not directed to the people/coders/designers etc., it is directed to the corporate greed monsters trying to make a quick buck pushing a new release. Watch out, next step is WB getting all the unskilled Indians from Infosys. Then they will sit around trying to understand why a character with a STR of 40 can carry a semi-truck and then close the game down and patch it to make adjustments.....

madmaxhunter
12-17-2015, 05:36 PM
Probably been said already, but I'll say it again.

Is it worth it to drop broken/half-finished/words not allowed on this forum Updates like you continuously do? Doesn't the loss of players who quit because we ALL warned that this was inevitably going to happen when you don't even put the final build out on Lamania matter? This is ridiculous.

Also, while I'm still on the soapbox, why the nerf to an EPIC spell? It was fun running HoX, Short manned. Ruin is a level 27 feat spell. It should crush heroic content. The only reason to run HoX at level 27 is for favor clean up. The items that drop in that raid are, for the most part, vendor trash.

die
12-17-2015, 05:38 PM
While your down, re create the quests I ran.. with lv appropriate monsters, not freaking Kobolds with sticks running 8k hp, its just stupid.

ifumoveudie
12-17-2015, 05:39 PM
At least I still have PWI to beat on while we all wait for the servers to come back online. I"ll miss my freshly TR'd toons, but them's the breaks.

JP457
12-17-2015, 05:45 PM
the game worlds are currently unavailable while we investigate and resolve an issue with randomly-generated items. We will keep you updated, but be aware that it is likely the game worlds will remain unavailable until late tonight, eastern time. We will have more information on our resolution following an investigation and the work being done and checked.

ppppppp

Anthraxis
12-17-2015, 05:45 PM

Seems odd that any company today would not take a backup of a revenue generating system before major changes. It should be fairly simple to restore the systems back to just prior to the induced outage instead of having to perform a new build. Yes, I logged into the system after the patch was released - after looking over my equipment, I logged back out (some items lost ALL attributes??). I am fairly certain that the majority of the community would prefer to lose that hour than be faced with many hours/days of attempted fixes.

Tolsimar
12-17-2015, 05:46 PM
Sadly the people we have in front of us are not the one making the call... the guys making the calls are the marketdroids from Warner Bros, and they have a Quarter to fill with revenue... and an update 2/3 weeks before the end of the quarter will do a lot towards filling the revenues for said quarter. They say : release or get fired. So the worker bees just release, even if it's unfinished, mess, and bug riddled.
Then they can turn back towards the WB Marketdroids/financial PHBs and say : We told you so... now we need to close the worlds indefinitely to fix all the broken things. That's an indefinite number of hours during which you will not get any revenue.

The main issue is that the WB Marketdroids/financial PHBs are unable to learn from mistakes. And every quater they try to pull off the same idiocy. Some quarters it somewhat works, others it fail...

Obviously when a new update comes out and breaks everything the customers are going to be upset. Since turbine makes the game and is our communication with anything related to the game, it would only be logical to give you our feedback. If WB is responsible and they WILL NOT LISTEN to you then give us, the customers, a link (to a forum or comments area) or an email address to who is responsible or in charge of things so we can let WB know what we think of this. We have a lot more voices and are a lot louder than you. There will be a whole lot of people who will voice their opinions. It is your choice as to who is going to hear it.

dontmater
12-17-2015, 05:47 PM
hmmm almost like it was rushed or something... . . . ... . . . ....

JP457
12-17-2015, 05:47 PM
Just once it would be nice if an update could go live without this kind of thing happening. Devs, in the future please listen to your customers who were clamouring for this not to go up so soon.

Its a sad state of affairs when the player base knows more about the game than the devs.

SirValentine
12-17-2015, 05:53 PM
We are currently investigating the issues seen with randomly-generated loot both new and old, and will decide whether to work toward a fix or revert back to the pre-U29 random-gen loot system.

I support reverting to old system for now, and push any random loot changes to later, after you've have plenty of time to both debug and balance such changes.

JP457
12-17-2015, 05:54 PM
We do get that folks are frustrated, and completely understand. It's an unfortunate situation, and one we are working to resolve as quickly as possible. That said, we will not allow people to sling profanity and insults at us or each other. Tonight's issues don't give people permission to break the rules. Thanks!

You understand we're upset, yet every update you do the same thiings. What does that say?

elg582
12-17-2015, 05:58 PM
Like a team of conscientious professionals

HAHAHAHA!

Oh, you were serious?

Augon
12-17-2015, 06:01 PM

Right now, there is no answer to that question.

The best way to get the answer, once it exists is to click the Dev tracker link at the top of the page and read the latest posts from the Devs.

Habreno
12-17-2015, 06:04 PM
I just have one question:

The changes made to Intimidate: Do they also apply to Ki Shout?

acdccod
12-17-2015, 06:09 PM

Last chance I had to play till after Christmas. We had a scheduled run at 4 pm told my buddies last night when I saw update coming we wont be playing tomorrow. Its sad.

Aishana
12-17-2015, 06:09 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath. Monks always get slighted.

Habreno
12-17-2015, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath. Monks always get slighted.

Trust me, I'm not holding my breath. I'm just asking if they actually decided to give Monks a minor bone after screwing them out of eGS HW.

Augon

Well said.

I do not understand why people take cheap shots at folks who are working hard to get the game back up.

Yes, I get that perhaps this update wasn't ready and shouldn't have gone out. But I also get that the issues that came up may have never been found in the sanitary testing environment of the their inhouse testing servers or even Lam. Keep in mind they did a character wipe on lam so the new stuff didn't interact with existing old stuff. In complex software, unexpected is expected and sometimes, the best test is to throw it out on live and be ready to pull it back if something goes haywire.

But regardless of the circumstances that lead to this issue, please folks try to be nice. It isn't gonna hurt that much to be kind to these folks who are NOT going home tonight. I am sure none of them woke up this morning and thought, "Well today is gonna be a good day. We are gonna make the entire DDO community SOOOOOO mad! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

.... At least I don't think they did . . .

and while you're at it, throw a few pieces of lettuce to the hamsters. They need all the energy they can get to get these wheels turning again.

Isolde1
"Then they can turn back towards the WB Marketdroids/financial PHBs and say : We told you so... now we need to close the worlds indefinitely to fix all the broken things. That's an indefinite number of hours during which you will not get any revenue. "

And then they can scare away the potential new clientele that would watch their friend or cousin play DDO and want to start and account. I mean since their friend/cousin/uncle/aunt aren't playing because there is down time there is nothing to entice the new player to play and then the Markerdroids loose more money for pushing for something when they don't know how it works.

quintarch
12-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Right now, there is no answer to that question.

The best way to get the answer, once it exists is to click the Dev tracker link at the top of the page and read the latest posts from the Devs.

this will likely work better than divination spells or psychic hotlines which was the 1st advice i got.

Augon
12-17-2015, 06:15 PM
this will likely work better than divination spells or psychic hotlines which was the 1st advice i got.

Yeah, well ya know . . . some folks on this forum are less than helpful . . . less than usefull . . . and, well, just kinda less.

We try to ignore them with varying degrees of success

quintarch
12-17-2015, 06:22 PM
Yeah, well ya know . . . some folks on this forum are less than helpful . . . less than usefull . . . and, well, just kinda less.

i have been playing since '10 and lurking on the forum since '12 so i am sort of familliar
i just never felt like interacting before late bloomer i'd suppose. but i appreciate a joke wherever i
find it so no biggie :)

maddong
12-17-2015, 06:31 PM
Put random loot into update 29.1 as was suggested multiple times to let the players give more feedback on the "test" server.

RoberttheBard
12-17-2015, 06:33 PM

Then someone quotes 'em, and we're reminded all over again...

Augon
12-17-2015, 06:36 PM
May I ask, why so hush hush on the release of this Update? Most of us KNEW it was coming near the end of the month IF the update was successful (well at least successful to the point where the game wasn't broken). Any other update in the past there was weeks and weeks of hype (if not months), now the only info we had was on the Lamannia server.

Generally, the only information about an upcoming Update is on Lamannia. After all it is the Preview Server. And the Lam forums have been exploding for a month about it. Nothing hush hush at all.

What is the point of the Lamannia Test server if you don't take into account all the tickets?

Lam is not a test server, it is a preview server. Just because they don't do what someone says they should do, does not mean they don't take it into account.

Second, most updates are done on Tuesday, why did you do this update just before the weekend on Thursday? (something to think about in the future, maybe)?

I kinda liked it coming out on Thursday. Others probable didn't. My guess is if they did a poll as to what day and time folks wanted the updates to be released, everyone would vote for different days and different times.

Third, when making major changes that DIRECTLY affect our characters SUCH AS XP CHANGES then you should at least give us some warning BEFORE the update.:mad:
It would have been nice to have time for everyone for at least one weekend to get to the same playing field. e.g. not having your character "Stuck" at a level for over 1.3 million XP+ at the lower epic levels.

I finished preparing for this update a week ago. I feel as if I had a month to prepare. I really do not get why folks say they didn't have any warning. True, we didn't know the Exact moment it would happen - but that should put fire under your feet to get ready.

This post is not directed to the people/coders/designers etc., it is directed to the corporate greed monsters trying to make a quick buck pushing a new release. Watch out, next step is WB getting all the unskilled Indians from Infosys. Then they will sit around trying to understand why a character with a STR of 40 can carry a semi-truck and then close the game down and patch it to make adjustments.....

I also don't understand why folks are so against companies making a profit. The game exists because it is making a profit. Now granted, I feel that if the admin folks would leave creative decisions to creative folks for the most part, things would be more profitable. But sometimes, without a little nudging, creative folks drag their feet.

as an aside: there are some brilliant Indian Coders and many unskilled Americans. Place of birth does not necessarily dictate skill level. (No I'm not an Indian, I am an American - I'm just realistic)

Augon
12-17-2015, 06:39 PM

or worse, quotes them in their signature :)

JP457
12-17-2015, 06:42 PM
Well said.

I do not understand why people take cheap shots at folks who are working hard to get the game back up.

Not that hard to understand. They are the people who are directly responsible for the fiasco.

Nonesuch2008
12-17-2015, 06:48 PM

How about a genuine quick-glance place to see if DDO is up? Look no further than right here:

http://ddocrafting.info/serverStatus/

Unfortunately, it is filled with a lot of ugly red dots at the moment...

Brandwynn
12-17-2015, 06:49 PM
~Shocked~.. ~I am shocked..~ I tell ya Simply ~Shocked~

That an update was released before it was all fixed and ready to go live.

I was on for an entire hour. (Full disclosure. That was 59 minutes longer than I expected.) To know that the

gabbatastic
12-17-2015, 06:51 PM

I could have been farming more epic reincarnations if you had simply waited until it was ready. Bulls%it.

quintarch
12-17-2015, 06:52 PM
How about a genuine quick-glance place to see if DDO is up? Look no further than right here:

http://ddocrafting.info/serverStatus/

Unfortunately, it is filled with a lot of ugly red dots at the moment...

bookmarked now, my thanks

Nonesuch2008
12-17-2015, 06:57 PM
bookmarked now, my thanks

No problem, glad to help out.

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Last chance I had to play till after Christmas. We had a scheduled run at 4 pm told my buddies last night when I saw update coming we wont be playing tomorrow. Its sad.

Sorry.

We believe this will apply to at least the cooldown and benefit.

xaul17
12-17-2015, 07:05 PM
~Shocked~.. ~I am shocked..~ I tell ya Simply ~Shocked~

That an update was released before it was all fixed and ready to go live.

I was on for an entire hour. (Full disclosure. That was 59 minutes longer than I expected.) To know that the

Cool story. Hope you didn't pass out in the middle of typing that :)

In all seriousness, I too really which the developers would have taken time to make sure the update was ready before it got pushed out. When I saw the update was being launched today, I let out a groan and simply expected that something would go wrong. My Lamma impression of the lootgen was far from fantastic, and the last build we saw still consisted of several bugs.

Devs, if you get one thing from this at all, please try to make an effort to ensure the update is ready before you send it out!

arkonas
12-17-2015, 07:06 PM
May I ask, why so hush hush on the release of this Update? Most of us KNEW it was coming near the end of the month IF the update was successful (well at least successful to the point where the game wasn't broken). Any other update in the past there was weeks and weeks of hype (if not months), now the only info we had was on the Lamannia server. What is the point of the Lamannia Test server if you don't take into account all the tickets?

they did warn you on both accounts. if you read dev tracker they talked about the xp changes before today. just saying. as for the update happening today. yet again dev tracker gave you clues that it could be possible of today and it happened. yes then some issues happened and a lot of you are going freaking nuts. calm down. yes its annoying you guys can't play. it sucks some of your items got messed up. yes we all get it. its frustrating but no need to go balistic. is this what you do when things don't go planned? i can tell you devilian was having the same issues with one of their european servers. it was down most of the day for europe. that game just came off beta as well. so tell me do you think its right to blast them as well?

i'm not defending turbine about the issues that happened. i got to play a little before the downtime. do you want to know what i did. i just went to play dynasty warriors. heck its on pause right now so i could check on the status of the game. maybe you guys might get compensation who knows. i do know some were looking forward to playing and it might calm the angry mob. but really i think some of you need to just calm down if you're going to get this frustrated with a game. oh well back to dynasty warriors for me.

Habreno
12-17-2015, 07:07 PM

Thank-you. Will throw a bug report if it isn't.

patang01
12-17-2015, 07:12 PM
I also don't understand why folks are so against companies making a profit. The game exists because it is making a profit.

Why do you assume that disagreeing with rushed content means they're against WB making a profit? You think they scored big with this release? I doubt it. Personally I think 1 more week would've done it good. And be more profitable in the long run.

Sydril
12-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Well I have to say, I've been here since the beginning and I don't post about this sort of thing often but I have say this one looks a little rushed and a little botched fellas.

For perspective, here are some llamas getting sacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZJC5ORod7I

Jasparion
12-17-2015, 07:17 PM
Why do you assume that disagreeing with rushed content means they're against WB making a profit? You think they scored big with this release? I doubt it. Personally I think 1 more week would've done it good. And be more profitable in the long run.

I wont be spending any money until everything is working properly. Amazing, huh? People only buying things which work.

snook59
12-17-2015, 07:17 PM
Should I go ahead and download the game again? I logged on for about 5 minutes before the world went down so I did download the new client.

It sounds like no matter what the fix is those of us who downloaded the update are fubar?

Jasparion
12-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Should I go ahead and download the game again? I logged on for about 5 minutes before the world went down so I did download the new client.

It sounds like no matter what the fix is those of us who downloaded the update are fubar?

If you had the latest build before the game was brought down, assume that when you log in again there will be another download waiting for you. Whether or not you assume that this new download will fix all the problems depends solely on how you rate Turbine as a company.

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 07:30 PM

That is not necessary. When the worlds reopen you'll patch up to the latest build and be able to log in.

Aishana
12-17-2015, 07:34 PM
That is not necessary. When the worlds reopen you'll patch up to the latest build and be able to log in.

Any update on that yet, by the way?

TheWalruss
12-17-2015, 07:34 PM
While we wait...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUDv3h09VBc

Kraak
12-17-2015, 07:35 PM
Thanks to Cordovan and the Team for providing some expectations and engaging the community. This used to be horrible. When things like this would happen (and they do, it is a game ffs) there was a big silence which translated into an invisible middle finger for all the players. Thanks again for the updates and keeping the game alive. Much appreciated.

Kraak

moomooprincess
12-17-2015, 07:41 PM

This release is a major fubar. Cordovan has stated December 18, but I would not be surprised for it to be a lot longer.

I could see Monday, December 21, 2015, as the worst case scenario.

spatio
12-17-2015, 07:45 PM
Trouble with any fix to the update is that if they don't quite exactly get new random loot correct and generate items better than named loot then they could still decide they have to do a roll back to remove the uber alles random loot. Or change items already owned and used.

Things like loot are important game balance and game interest issues. Problems with that isn't so much a bug but ending player goals. No need to seek an item when soon enough randomly you'll get better item.

If a new adventure has a bug then so be it. But loot and items are the enduring part of the game which should never be rolled out without absolute confidence as being correct and as intended.

Dj_Fisty
12-17-2015, 07:50 PM
when I saw update coming we wont be playing tomorrow. Its sad.

Know how ya feel bud,

It is sad that we all know when a big update like this comes out almost a 70%+ game will be taken down same day for fixes. Is there anything that "Normal" people can help out with to get this kinda stuff from happening over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

TheTrader
12-17-2015, 07:54 PM
I was able to play the two flagging quests with a group on ee have to say enjoyed them and even got named items in both but have to wonder why the loot update went live based on https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468666-Randomized-Loot-Look-Two and all the problems that were still being reported that were ignored and still rushed out I could see some things were fixed like i got a bow that said doubleshot but in description said doublestrike but when put on was really doubleshot just a bad description but it wasn't the high level loot that was the problem in most cases it was lower level! It even seem to be suggested in live stream that it was more likely to be patch to update for new loot system to go live and cannith crafting to follow! It would have still be a lot of content with level cap increase and three legendary raid plus new raid system and greensteel systems! Just something to think about i am sure it was a decision made to include it based on a guess but please use Lamania more as a tool then just a first look at new content to keep interest!

EazyWeazy
12-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Thanks to Cordovan and the Team for providing some expectations and engaging the community. This used to be horrible. When things like this would happen (and they do, it is a game ffs) there was a big silence which translated into an invisible middle finger for all the players. Thanks again for the updates and keeping the game alive. Much appreciated.

Kraak

It is a game people pay for. That makes it a business. Turbine should be embarrassed at how poorly this update has gone. This isn't some kickstarter company. And while I agree its a nice change from the past to be kept abreast of these FUBAR happenings, its sad that we celebrate it. That is basic customer service.

elvesunited
12-17-2015, 07:59 PM
I can't say about the new loot. And I didn't load the broken client. ( Wasn't Home ) But for my 2 cents the number one priority has to be the preservation of pre-update 29 gear at their current minimum levels. Nothing would suck more then to find DDO characters suddenly having holes in their gear set ups.

( That's the primary purpose of crafted gear. To plug holes. )

Lanhelin
12-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Trouble with any fix to the update is that if they don't quite exactly get new random loot correct and generate items better than named loot then they could still decide they have to do a roll back to remove the uber alles random loot. Or change items already owned and used.

I guess all of them will be removed with the next patch, assuming it won't affect newly crafted items only but all the new items serving as craftable ones too:

Cannith Crafting does not work correctly with new randomly-generated items. Please do not craft onto new randomly-generated items as these particular Cannith Crafted items will be destroyed in an upcoming patch.

knightgf
12-17-2015, 08:04 PM
I just have one important question to ask the developers:

"What made you decide to roll out this update at the time you did!?"

I will apologize to the developers on behalf of the players who wanted the update out so soon, they knew not what they asked for. They now see the downside of their request. If player pressure influenced you in part or whole to release this premature update, I will set aside some of my anger about this update.

FifthTime
12-17-2015, 08:04 PM
So will my older items that were negatively effected be returned to their original state or not?

I regret patching the game today.

Xahtep
12-17-2015, 08:07 PM
the Lamannia Test server...

Little to no previous notice and half done update, as usual. Without offense intended (only a mild critic) Dev team is lowering the bar.

Just wanted to point a thing, lama is NOT a test server, many people get that wrong.It has been proved over the time that they dont want/wont listen to all the extra info people may gather from there. Lama is a PREVIEW Server.

IconicHero
12-17-2015, 08:07 PM
I was able to play the two flagging quests with a group on ee have to say enjoyed them and even got named items in both but have to wonder why the loot update went live based on https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468666-Randomized-Loot-Look-Two and all the problems that were still being reported that were ignored and still rushed out I could see some things were fixed like i got a bow that said doubleshot but in description said doublestrike but when put on was really doubleshot just a bad description but it wasn't the high level loot that was the problem in most cases it was lower level! It even seem to be suggested in live stream that it was more likely to be patch to update for new loot system to go live and cannith crafting to follow! It would have still be a lot of content with level cap increase and three legendary raid plus new raid system and greensteel systems! Just something to think about i am sure it was a decision made to include it based on a guess but please use Lamania more as a tool then just a first look at new content to keep interest!

found similar errors on lamania and live server! The new system seems kewl but will miss all the named items that used to be good! especially raid loot!

Jasparion
12-17-2015, 08:13 PM
I just have one important question to ask the developers:

"What made you decide to roll out this update at the time you did!?"

I will apologize to the developers on behalf of the players who wanted the update out so soon, they knew not what they asked for. They now see the downside of their request. If player pressure influenced you in part or whole to release this premature update, I will set aside some of my anger about this update.

First answer - money.

Second part, who was pushing for it to be released? I dont remember a single post which didnt have people saying they would rather it drop after Christmas/New Year if it meant the bugs would be fixed.

amylee4000
12-17-2015, 08:19 PM
I was wondering about the time of the AH during the Downtime... still running in real life or it paused???..

Thud
12-17-2015, 08:21 PM

^this^ :rolleyes:

Thud
12-17-2015, 08:23 PM
or worse, quotes them in their signature :)

^and this^

ZandisHere
12-17-2015, 08:31 PM
When the patch rolled through and I got on I jumped into the Vale for slayer to pop chests --one of my favorite ways to fish for new loot. Right off found a robe with +7 Con that was in lvl 15. Got a ring which added 16% radiance crits . Other stuff dropped with new names and odd combos (a hat with +15 Haggle and +13 Search?). And then the server dropped out from under me as I was gushing about it in guild chat. Meh. Four hours later meh+meh. Hearing that people are finding their items are too high for their level because of a restructuring of items? OMFG-MEH. Have any of you had toons on alternate servers that you go back to and find yourself moving at a super crawl? I did and fond several items equipped that the character could not normally equip. All what was normal gear a few months (years?) before.

Yes, change things once in a while. New is good. Breaking old is bad. When the new gear comes out and obsoletes Raid gear, it would be nice to do something that allows the Raid gear to be better without being overpowering. Simple trick, make them have slots where they did not before. Old green steel should add MRR or PRR (not a huge increment but something) and if it happened to increase 1 per 3 lvls beyond the point you can equip it so it scales into EE? Well that's okay.

Xoil
12-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Any news on when the servers will be up?

ZandisHere
12-17-2015, 08:44 PM
When the patch rolled through and I got on I jumped into the Vale for slayer to pop chests --one of my favorite ways to fish for new loot. Right off found a robe with +7 Con that was in lvl 15. Got a ring which added 16% radiance crits . Other stuff dropped with new names and odd combos (a hat with +15 Haggle and +13 Search?). And then the server dropped out from under me as I was gushing about it in guild chat. Meh. Four hours later meh+meh. Hearing that people are finding their items are too high for their level because of a restructuring of items? OMFG-MEH. Have any of you had toons on alternate servers that you go back to and find yourself moving at a super crawl? I did and found several items equipped that the character could not normally equip. All what was normal gear a few months (years?) before.

Yes, change things once in a while. New is good. Breaking old is bad. When the new gear comes out and obsoletes Raid gear, it would be nice to do something that allows the Raid gear to be better without being overpowering. Simple trick, make them have slots where they did not before. Old green steel should add MRR or PRR (not a huge increment but something) and if it happened to increase 1 per 3 lvls beyond the point you can equip it so it scales into EE? Well that's okay.

Hair trigger on the submit-- I meant to close with the idea that if items are downsized by an update there should be some recompense --like the option to trade it in at an altar for random loot from the current tables. Not a full fix but it would help hurt feelings. And get the servers up please.

JP457
12-17-2015, 08:45 PM

Kraak

Yes, we've made progress. The middle finger is now visible.

zep909j
12-17-2015, 08:51 PM
ShaderKai "Please unlock my hairstyle,give me freedom"

sjbb87
12-17-2015, 09:00 PM
I predict a Free Epic Stone of Experience for all, to compensate this update, with only 12 hours notice and that the launch full of problems.

Malusny
12-17-2015, 09:07 PM

You guys should offer something good to compensate for the lost time for those who have subscriptions. This is very serious flaw that you are responsible for and we (players) would appreciate if you took us as serious customers. We are paying for a product that is not working. We are patient but we paid for that time so please be reasonable and come up with some solutions.
This is not the first time...

mudfud
12-17-2015, 09:12 PM

That does not instill a lot of confidence when I read that "we believe". It either will or won't you are making it seem like nobody knows what they intended to do and "we" all you people included will just find out like a hidden surprise.

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 09:13 PM
So will my older items that were negatively effected be returned to their original state or not?

I regret patching the game today.

Yes, the effort underway will restore items that lost properties (like Masterful Craftsmanship.)

Deaeth
12-17-2015, 09:13 PM
You guys should offer something good to compensate for the lost time for those who have subscriptions. This is very serious flaw that you are responsible for and we (players) would appreciate if you took us as serious customers. We are paying for a product that is not working. We are patient but we paid for that time so please be reasonable and come up with some solutions.

This would be nice if for once this actually happened. We are basically paying for a defective product with no care by the company for our lost time. I don't know too many people who are willing to pay for broken things and not care at all about the wasted money. And I'm wiling to bet a lot of us VIP players also spend extra in the ddo store from time to time.

Maybe it's time to get a ddo store boycott going until they care more about their customers.

apacheizm23
12-17-2015, 09:15 PM
This would be nice if for once this actually happened. We are basically paying for a defective product with no care by the company for our lost time. I don't know too many people who are willing to pay for broken things and not care at all about the wasted money. And I'm wiling to bet a lot of us VIP players also spend extra in the ddo store from time to time.

Maybe it's time to get a ddo store boycott going until they care more about their customers.

Maybe...

Aishana
12-17-2015, 09:19 PM

I'm willing to bet that 90% of the people who play this game have used their hard-earned money to buy TP in order to purchase adventure packs and the like. But by your logic, they don't qualify as paying customers just because they don't give Turbine money every month? How is it any different? They also paid for a product that isn't working. Just a thought. :cool:

Thar
12-17-2015, 09:22 PM

Maybe it's time to give them a break. I'm sure they don't like working through the night just like any other normal human. Especially on the opening night of Star Wars! To do so that we can kill imaginary monsters a few hours earlier tomorrow should mean something.

Thanks Devs.

mudfud
12-17-2015, 09:24 PM
I'm willing to bet that 90% of the people who play this game have used their hard-earned money to buy TP in order to purchase adventure packs and the like. But by your logic, they don't qualify as paying customers just because they don't give Turbine money every month? How is it any different? They also paid for a product that isn't working. Just a thought. :cool:

Pretty sure that little thing we all chose to agree to in order to the play game states, downtime is just that, and no compensation should be expected. I'm almost positive that little line doesn't care how much TP a person has spent or if they are VIP.

Burradin
12-17-2015, 09:24 PM

I am not happy with how they handle the release communications, but don't bring in the pay thing. Rough calc for a VIP paying for a year sub means a little than a penny and a half per hour for the year. Assuming you are on the $10 per month plan which a lot of VIPs are on the less than $100 per year plan. I am not ready to cry foul over maybe .50 by time they are done. I will gladly blame them for not communicating the release date properly to allow people to plan appropriate to complete ETRs or whatever. Was no excuse for the lack of communication there. Bugs happen, but the poor communication could have easily been prevented.

Thar
12-17-2015, 09:26 PM

reimbursement for vip for a day (or more if it drags on) should be a no brainer. we paid for x amount of days of game. game is unavailable. time should be extended.

anything more is good will and should again be a no braining from a customer service standpoint.

issalar
12-17-2015, 09:27 PM

Please everyone stop blaming the devs. There is a good chance that many/most of them did not want to push the update out as broken as it is but may have had no choice. Higher ups want money or the team to work on something they feel will bring in more revenue so they say "push it out now" and the rest is history. They can argue but in the end would have to push it out anyways. Corporate wants money so we feel the sting and everyone blames the deveopers instead of the corporate.

If anyone thinks the devs actually wanted to sift through all the code for hours trying to fix everything? they dont so give them a break.

mudfud
12-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Please everyone stop blaming the devs. There is a good chance that many/most of them did not want to push the update out as broken as it is but may have had no choice. Higher ups want money or the team to work on something they feel will bring in more revenue so they say "push it out now" and the rest is history. They can argue but in the end would have to push it out anyways. Corporate wants money so we feel the sting and everyone blames the deveopers instead of the corporate.

If anyone thinks the devs actually wanted to sift through all the code for hours trying to fix everything? they dont so give them a break.

I've always been a firm believer in "No means No!..." Even if a higher up says something and you choose to do it for whatever reason, you can no longer blame the higher up, because YOU made the choice. Me personally, I have pride in my work, if it's not going to be done, No means No, there is no compromising. If me losing my job for sticking to my principles is the price, well then I can always find another.

changelingamuck
12-17-2015, 09:35 PM

Why do people always say this? The developers already know that when something like this happens, people want something to compensate for the lost time. Seriously, they don't need to check the forums thinking to themselves, "I wonder if the players want something to compensate for this update's problems? Probably not, but I should check the forums just in case they do want something to compensate... Woah! They actually do want stuff! Who could've guessed!" Every developer of every MMO ever already knows when you're raging about something and already knows that you want stuff...

And, if you're VIP, then the time you've missed playing so far because of this update is worth less than a bus ride...

Deaeth
12-17-2015, 09:35 PM
@ Cordovan, any progress update at least?

Aishana
12-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Pretty sure that little thing we all chose to agree to in order to the play game states, downtime is just that, and no compensation should be expected. I'm almost positive that little line doesn't care how much TP a person has spent or if they are VIP.

Oh, I wasn't agreeing with him about the compensation. I was simply pointing out the flaw in his logic.

ZandisHere
12-17-2015, 09:37 PM
...anything more is good will and should again be a no braining from a customer service standpoint.

Good Will is what I was suggesting earlier, but not for time lost --only for items broken in the new framework. The expectation that they will fix the thing they broke seems more likely to happen. Drop some bonus, make it rain pork (LONG TIME NO SEE on the tasty Hams).

MysticRhythms
12-17-2015, 09:38 PM
If me losing my job for sticking to my principles is the price, well then I can always find another.

While it's admirable to stick to your principles to that extent, you cannot expect every human being to adhere to your standards. Not everyone can afford to lose their job and especially not over the holidays. Software engineers do what they are told and often by the marketing/sales team.

I certainly wouldn't feel great about having to work overtime hours on an evening where I was hoping to catch the Star Wars premiere simply because my marketing team wants to affect the bottom line before the holiday season.

"Software developer" is not synonymous with "Business decision maker"

sjbb87
12-17-2015, 09:38 PM

That's true...
let's hope they solve.
This implying that they are still working on updating and is already late.
If I am not mistaken it is 22:30 in the place where they are working,
soon complete 12 hours of work ... and that's pretty exhausting for programming.

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 09:44 PM
@ Cordovan, any progress update at least?

At this particular moment we are waiting for the build to finish compiling. So...progress?

kerupted
12-17-2015, 09:45 PM
u know ppl are really bored when they just conplain on the forums about something getting fixed that they would have gotten on the forums to complain about that. let them do their job, im sure they stopped bringing in cheese just so they dont have to think about ur whine.

Its a game, it needs time, go spend some time with friends or play with ur kids during this time. if u dont have either, then well go take a walk around the block or do some jumping jacks. hell i was watching a movie with my kids because that is more fun then complaining on here about stuff being fixed.

Brutuscass
12-17-2015, 09:46 PM
I'm not going to complain here, just point out what should have been clear by now, the way the last few updates have been sprang on people is plain silly, it's asking for negative feed back and feeling from the player base. I get that the roll out was getting behind the promised time table, with the holidays coming up there may have been a desire to get it out ASAP, but from the youtube video, which many hadn't even seen by the time the down time was announced, it is clear that when the twitch went live on Friday 11th Dec. that there where still issues to be sorted, the video showed a version that hadn't even been placed on the Lam Test server and therefore was not ready to roll out at that point!

It would have been and would be better in the future for the announcement of a big update to be made a week in advance, that is to say, when the Devs think it's ready to go then tell the players that it will be coming in 7 days, rather than the less than last minute notice given, at least people could plan a day of RL actives if given a week's notice, then on the day of the update make it a standard statement that the servers will be up for a testing period of 15 hours after the come back online after the update, in which time players may log in to aid with testing, but the servers could be brought done during that time if faults are found. If this became a standard practise I am sure that player would not feel so badly let down. They could either take a 24 hour planned break from the game or play for the fun of seeing what it tastes like, forewarned of what may come :)

On a brighter note I am happy to see that the Epic XP curve flattening was was review to make it a slight curve instead of the originally propose total flat line.

Finally to the players who feel let down, yes there is a test server and yes in a prefect world things would never go wrong, but truly the live servers are a little different from neater test server and well as old Forest pointed out Sheet happens, it'll all sort itself out, and we should all be frankly happy and grateful that we have the good fortune to be able to feel badly done to in a VR game, when it isn't a prefect world and there are people out there who face far worse.

Wishing you all a very Happy Holiday, a festive greeting, nd Gd bless u Mr Scrooge, cor blimmy, mind where u put that humbug.

kerupted
12-17-2015, 09:48 PM
At this particular moment we are waiting for the build to finish compiling. So...progress?

thanks for the update, maybe next time u can give like a 30 minute warning, my pug group finally made it the end boss of Legendary EE tempest spine and u shut us down in a minute notice. LEETS was fun, even tho gear was breaking......XD

Tahkhesis
12-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Why do people always say this? The developers already know that when something like this happens, people want something to compensate for the lost time. Seriously, they don't need to check the forums thinking to themselves, "I wonder if the players want something to compensate for this update's problems? Probably not, but I should check the forums just in case they do want something to compensate... Woah! They actually do want stuff! Who could've guessed!" Every developer of every MMO ever already knows when you're raging about something and already knows that you want stuff...

And, if you're VIP, then the time you've missed playing so far because of this update is worth less than a bus ride...

/signed

I legit could not agree with you more, but apparently I have given out all the rep points I am allotted today, so I can't +1 this or whatever the hell it's called here.

Example: if the whole Sally Struthers (spelling, and too lazy to use the Google) "for 10 cents a day, less than the price of a cup of coffee" thing rings true, we're kind of en par--it's like, 24 hours-ish of no play, so 1 day out of roughly 30 based on 10-20 bucks per month--so literally 33 - 66 cents (depending on subscription) that we lost. I lose that much in the couch, or my car, or my pants with the hole in the pocket. Hell, my cat has 66 cents. Look. Quick. That's 33 cents chillin' on the sidewalk.

I digress...at least Sallys money hypothetically feeds starving kids (I have no idea if it actually does, but I have no proof either way). Our money lets us kill imaginary monsters while we look at the cartoon butts of our female characters for hours on end to get new swords and and cartoon pets that serve no purpose other than to name hilarious things. I mean, if you really think about it. If anything, I'm mad that I spent 20 bucks on beer as opposed to the 66 cents I would have saved by playing DDO instead of drinking and watching wrestling. Check that. By "mad" I mean "festive."

luboolis
12-17-2015, 09:50 PM

I would try this https://twitter.com/DDOUnlimited

apacheizm23
12-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Maybe it's time to give them a break. I'm sure they don't like working through the night just like any other normal human. Especially on the opening night of Star Wars! To do so that we can kill imaginary monsters a few hours earlier tomorrow should mean something.

Thanks Devs.

I understand what your trying to say but thank them for what! What you feel sorry for them lol.. Remember there are many players who pay to play. And give who a break? I am a VIP yearly subscriber since 2006, and aren't they getting payed to do a job! Who gives me a break at my job when **** goes down! Let me shut the .... up. Matter fact If I .... up at my job I'm out of a job.

Thanks Devs, here's another $100.00 on top of the $500.00+ for TP's for the year, for the past 8 years.

Dharken
12-17-2015, 09:53 PM

OH dear god no, its compiling?
Project Manager:"Hamsters to full power!"
Programmer:"But sir we can't push them any harder on their current diet"
Project Manager: "Feed them the flesh and tears of the forum trolls!"
Programmer: "But sir, I can't in good......"
Project Manager:"DO IT!!"
Programmer: "May god have mercy on our souls...."

Deaeth
12-17-2015, 09:55 PM
u know ppl are really bored when they just conplain on the forums about something getting fixed that they would have gotten on the forums to complain about that. let them do their job, im sure they stopped bringing in cheese just so they dont have to think about ur whine.

Its a game, it needs time, go spend some time with friends or play with ur kids during this time. if u dont have either, then well go take a walk around the block or do some jumping jacks. hell i was watching a movie with my kids because that is more fun then complaining on here about stuff being fixed.

says the guy who complained about ppl complaining, lol. I should +1 for irony! lol

On a side note, is it possible to change my Forum name to my actual mains name? been looking around and can't find it anywhere.

apacheizm23
12-17-2015, 09:55 PM
I'm not upset at the least.. I don't sweat a few hundred dollars, matter fact I wipe my azz with that. But too feel sorry for who!!!

apacheizm23
12-17-2015, 09:57 PM

Cool,, I guess I'll play tomorrow night...

Waaye
12-17-2015, 09:59 PM
[...] it is likely we will not have the game worlds open until late tonight or perhaps early morning Eastern. We will keep people updated.
This is a huge minor inconvenience, Cordovan, and I would not mind a couple of hundred epic mushrooms to lessen my sadness. Instead of wasting time on DDO today I decided to do something useful and teach my kitty to pull my finger. It worked great the first time but now she just runs away when I hold out my hand. Does anybody know how to train a cat to do tricks?

Aishana
12-17-2015, 10:02 PM

+1 to you, good sir or ma'am, for making me laugh. I needed it. :)

LostinAstralPlane
12-17-2015, 10:02 PM
Generally, the only information about an upcoming Update is on Lamannia. After all it is the Preview Server. And the Lam forums have been exploding for a month about it. Nothing hush hush at all.

Yes, I was there and read them(forums), I was trying to make the point that other past Updates came with warnings: Update coming soon, servers will be down on "X" next week...etc.

Lam is not a test server, it is a preview server. Just because they don't do what someone says they should do, does not mean they don't take it into account.

They do take tickets and listen to input - you can "call" it whatever you want, it is still a "beta test" ergo a "Test"

I kinda liked it coming out on Thursday. Others probable didn't. My guess is if they did a poll as to what day and time folks wanted the updates to be released, everyone would vote for different days and different times.

Was not trying to say one day vs another, or even for it to be in "our" hands to vote on - just echoing sentiments that the roll-out was "rushed"

I finished preparing for this update a week ago. I feel as if I had a month to prepare. I really do not get why folks say they didn't have any warning. True, we didn't know the Exact moment it would happen - but that should put fire under your feet to get ready.

As I mentioned above, there used to exist a MUCH better warning for EXACT time at LEAST one full week before LIVE roll-out. Unfortunately we (several in our Guild) thought we had THIS weekend to complete our objectives, starting this afternoon because many of us have been TOO busy in our lives the past month

I also don't understand why folks are so against companies making a profit. The game exists because it is making a profit. Now granted, I feel that if the admin folks would leave creative decisions to creative folks for the most part, things would be more profitable. But sometimes, without a little nudging, creative folks drag their feet.

No problem with making a profit, I am all for DDO to make profit so they can continue to provide an exciting, improved product; with that said, there was a poor Production Manager decision made to rush this update through and now they should take these criticisms and learn from them and listen to their customers. WB dropped the ball on this one, not the mic.

as an aside: there are some brilliant Indian Coders and many unskilled Americans. Place of birth does not necessarily dictate skill level. (No I'm not an Indian, I am an American - I'm just realistic)

That wasn't an attack on Indian coders, it was against what Infosys and THEIR unskilled workers are doing to IT and coders in America, look up Disney and Toys R US & HB1-visas - It will make you sick what Disney did to their entire IT division and skirting the Visa laws! Not going to Star Wars because of it

There was obviously a poorly rushed decision. Now I.T. must work O.T. because of it. Paying customers are frustrated and they have every right to raise a ruckus so the decision makers will need to rethink a decision like this one in the future. Some of us need to plan playing time with a group, and many of us have learned to stay away from planning ANYthing around an Update, and that is an unfortunate characteristic to have about DDO and updates...it should be more like, OH WOW and update, I can't wait to play the new content today. Unfortunately, it's like, oh man an update, Oh Well, maybe we'll play after the hotfix the next Tuesday...

Allnamesaretaken
12-17-2015, 10:06 PM
/signed

Example: if the whole Sally Struthers (spelling, and too lazy to use the Google) "for 10 cents a day, less than the price of a cup of coffee" thing rings true, we're kind of en par--it's like, 24 hours-ish of no play, so 1 day out of roughly 30 based on 10-20 bucks per month--so literally 33 - 66 cents (depending on subscription) that we lost. I lose that much in the couch, or my car, or my pants with the hole in the pocket. Hell, my cat has 66 cents. Look. Quick. That's 33 cents chillin' on the sidewalk.

You don't really care where the money goes if you can't play anyway, right? Why not pay your membership to me. I'll provide you with the same service outage every day!

apacheizm23
12-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Yes, I was there and read them(forums), I was trying to make the point that other past Updates came with warnings: Update coming soon, servers will be down on "X" next week...etc.

They do take tickets and listen to input - you can "call" it whatever you want, it is still a "beta test" ergo a "Test"

Was not trying to say one day vs another, or even for it to be in "our" hands to vote on - just echoing sentiments that the roll-out was "rushed"

As I mentioned above, there used to exist a MUCH better warning for EXACT time at LEAST one full week before LIVE roll-out. Unfortunately we (several in our Guild) thought we had THIS weekend to complete our objectives, starting this afternoon because many of us have been TOO busy in our lives the past month

No problem with making a profit, I am all for DDO to make profit so they can continue to provide an exciting, improved product; with that said, there was a poor Production Manager decision made to rush this update through and now they should take these criticisms and learn from them and listen to their customers. WB dropped the ball on this one, not the mic.

That wasn't an attack on Indian coders, it was against what Infosys and THEIR unskilled workers are doing to IT and coders in America, look up Disney and Toys R US & HB1-visas - It will make you sick what Disney did to their entire IT division and skirting the Visa laws! Not going to Star Wars because of it

There was obviously a poorly rushed decision. Now I.T. must work O.T. because of it. Paying customers are frustrated and they have every right to raise a ruckus so the decision makers will need to rethink a decision like this one in the future. Some of us need to plan playing time with a group, and many of us have learned to stay away from planning ANYthing around an Update, and that is an unfortunate characteristic to have about DDO and updates...it should be more like, OH WOW and update, I can't wait to play the new content today. Unfortunately, it's like, oh man an update, Oh Well, maybe we'll play after the hotfix the next Tuesday...

Right on and well said.. I should of known better to think that I was going to sit and play the new content tonight. I can't believe they make this mistake over and over. Turbine/WB should know better than to make this mistake on launch day. Today would be a day that they could actually gain a few new subscribers to the game and make some extra money, but nope once again they screwed it up. I can imagine how many people were all jacked up ready to play the new game today to only be bummed out with WORLDS ARE DOWN ! Too bad 4 us..

Allnamesaretaken
12-17-2015, 10:16 PM

Normally, people don't bring down a server if the build is not ready. Let alone announce the precise time for the down time...
Anyhows, I guess everyone wants to know when we should reasonably expect it to be up.
Any word on that?

Tahkhesis
12-17-2015, 10:17 PM
You don't really care where the money goes if you can't play anyway, right? Why not pay your membership to me. I'll provide you with the same service outage every day!

Better idea: Let's all start a Kickstarter to get everyone who lost 33 cents their 33 cents.

We can probably raise the cash in like an hour with no campaign info, no rewards, no social media, and literally just a video of a cat knocking something off a shelf--with no audio...because audio adds production value/money--because the fact that people couldn't play DDO for a day based on some technical issues, red tape, corporate bs, or whatever the hell, is definitely a cause people would get behind and feel super bad for.

Cleanincubus
12-17-2015, 10:19 PM

^ Project managers have likely been home for hours now. They just make the decisions to shove out Updates that aren't actually done. Maybe Severlin is still there, but I highly doubt anyone above him (the real decision makers of when something is released) are still in the office.

It also wouldn't be the flesh and tears for the trolls, it'd be the flesh and tears of the fanbois.

Wakkander
12-17-2015, 10:24 PM

This sparked my curiosity as an amateur programmer, so if you have a moment at some point, how long does a mmo like DDO take to compile?

Dharken
12-17-2015, 10:33 PM
^ Project managers have likely been home for hours now. They just make the decisions to shove out Updates that aren't actually done. Maybe Severlin is still there, but I highly doubt anyone above him (the real decision makers of when something is released) are still in the office.

It also wouldn't be the flesh and tears for the trolls, it'd be the flesh and tears of the fanbois.

1)PMs may be at home, but they are likely still awake, on the phone, because the programmers are likely calling them and rightfully thinking "We told you its not ready, now you can suffer with us".

2) They tried feeding them the flesh and tears of the fanbois once, the hamsters stopped running on the wheels and instead built lil shrines to the devs in their cages and kept suggesting ways to make their wheels work better. Then they tried the forum trolls and found that the hamsters would stay up day and night for weeks, constantley running on the wheels. Granted the latter caused the hamsters to become very bitey and constantly ask if they were done running yet but they worked better.

:)

Gljosh
12-17-2015, 10:35 PM
Whenever there is an extended downtime some people want restitution.

How about this as a possible solution?
Extended Downtime Exceeds (these stack); 2 hours, +10% XP to VIPs, Exceeds 4 hours, +1 loot, Exceeds 6 hours, +15% to XP (VIP would have a total of 25%), and Exceeds 8 hours, +1 loot (for a total of +2).

KoobTheProud
12-17-2015, 10:36 PM
Anybody who has worked in IT in any kind of infrastructure or application support position understands what the team at Turbine is going through right now. There are a few people who are going to get little sleep tonight and they all have a gnawing fear that the fix might not be perfect in which case they have a major ongoing hassle that will carry over into tomorrow, when those same people will have had very little sleep over the past 24 hours and still will not be off the job.

Those of us who play this game need to understand that we are *playing* a game. If it's really a dire necessity to play tonight and it's causing people undue stress as a result maybe it's time to re-evaluate the place that DDO occupies in your life.

No flames intended but we're not the people who are really suffering at the moment.

Cleanincubus
12-17-2015, 10:40 PM
1)PMs may be at home, but they are likely still awake, on the phone, because the programmers are likely calling them and rightfully thinking "We told you its not ready, now you can suffer with us".

2) They tried feeding them the flesh and tears of the fanbois once, the hamsters stopped running on the wheels and instead built lil shrines to the devs in their cages and kept suggesting ways to make their wheels work better. Then they tried the forum trolls and found that the hamsters would stay up day and night for weeks, constantley running on the wheels. Granted the latter caused the hamsters to become very bitey and constantly ask if they were done running yet but they worked better.

:)
Touché!

Gordo
12-17-2015, 10:43 PM
You want free stuff for a few hours wait? Go grind your gear like we veterans did when this game was actually a challenge and there was no DDO store. Don't be a bunch of babies and ask for some kind of "gift" because a major update went FUBAR for a few hours. Grow up.

LostinAstralPlane
12-17-2015, 10:45 PM
This sparked my curiosity as an amateur programmer, so if you have a moment at some point, how long does a mmo like DDO take to compile?

Well, that depends, are they still using 386's to do the compiling?

Tahkhesis
12-17-2015, 10:52 PM
I think changed my mind after reading people's arguments for getting compensation.

Maybe it's the spirit of the season. Maybe I got a chance to see the world if I was never born, maybe I was visited by 3 ghosts, maybe I was left home alone on a holiday and attacked by 2 robbers--and had to create an elaborate farce to thwart them...or maybe I'm just bored and reading the forums which are incredible today.

Regardless, maybe people are right. Compensation is in order!

So, I propose that the Turbine team gives everyone their choice of the following..due to the atrocity of not being able to play for almost 1 full day:

1. A can of RC cola with a sip taken out.

2. A black and white photo of a rainbow.

3. An 8 x 10 of Philip Michael Thomas from 2003 (not Miami Vice years)

4. An AOL start-up disc

5. A button of winning for when the game goes live again (or 2, whatever)

6. A 1987 Buick Lesabre that is missing 2 tires, a rear view mirror, and has a bumper sticker that supports Ralph Nader.

7. A napkin used by someone who sat next to Kenny Rogers in a Red Lobster.

This would totally make things right, after "U29-gate"...or "upGrave 29"...patent pending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_mrNQBLSMU

Xenaphon
12-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Anybody who has worked in IT in any kind of infrastructure or application support position understands what the team at Turbine is going through right now. There are a few people who are going to get little sleep tonight and they all have a gnawing fear that the fix might not be perfect in which case they have a major ongoing hassle that will carry over into tomorrow, when those same people will have had very little sleep over the past 24 hours and still will not be off the job.

Those of us who play this game need to understand that we are *playing* a game. If it's really a dire necessity to play tonight and it's causing people undue stress as a result maybe it's time to re-evaluate the place that DDO occupies in your life.

No flames intended but we're not the people who are really suffering at the moment.

I work in IT as a network engineer. If we do not deliver .9999 uptime, people get fired. I do understand things going wrong, because nothing people build are perfect, but it is good practice to plan and test whatever you are rolling out. Their record is not good. This happens almost every time Turbine does an update. I love the game but I do not like the quality they are delivering. It should be better.

Habreno
5. A button of winning for when the game goes live again (or 2, whatever)

Should be a button of whining instead.

Tahkhesis
Should be a button of whining instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc

Nailed it. Well played.

elvesunited
12-17-2015, 10:57 PM
I suspect that the problem isn't the recompile. It's the damage done during the one hour it was up.

1) Are the damaged old items recoverable? It sounds like some of them lost properties more significant than just master crafting.
2) If they are backing out the lootgen part of the update. Is any lootgen gained during the hour it was up salvagable? or does it have to be deleted?

As an IT guy, recompiling isn't that hard. But recovery and reconstruction of lost or damaged data? That can cause your hair to go gray.

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 11:00 PM

Generally about 4ish hours.

Calinthus
12-17-2015, 11:01 PM

And, don't forget to show the kobolds who's next on the menu.

Qezuzu
12-17-2015, 11:01 PM
Well I picked a good day to drive 570 miles.

A long while ago I stopped being surprised by this, and at this point I'm no longer even disappointed. See you guys in-game tomorrow :rolleyes:

Hesiodthepoet
12-17-2015, 11:02 PM
Well, it is officially the next day Eastern time. Any update or guesses? Should I go to bed or hope its is fixed soon?

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 11:05 PM
The game worlds remain unavailable. We are making progress, and will keep you updated. The current ETA is at least a few more hours.

Johnstone
12-17-2015, 11:06 PM

So... what you're saying is I should close out the updater and go to bed at this point instead of letting it try to connect every 60 seconds like I have been for the past two hours. It'll definitely be done by tomorrow afternoon, right? I guess there is no such thing as a definite answer when it comes to MMOs though. Anyway, thanks for the updates regarding the update to the newest update. I look forward to experiencing it soon™.

Hesiodthepoet
12-17-2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the update!! at least it makes the decision on whether to wait up easy! Night all.

ZandisHere
12-17-2015, 11:15 PM
I suspect that the problem isn't the recompile. It's the damage done during the one hour it was up.

1) Are the damaged old items recoverable? It sounds like some of them lost properties more significant than just master crafting.
2) If they are backing out the lootgen part of the update. Is any lootgen gained during the hour it was up salvagable? or does it have to be deleted?

As an IT guy, recompiling isn't that hard. But recovery and reconstruction of lost or damaged data? That can cause your hair to go gray.

Yep --Database Admin here. Company size means there is only one, 24 x 7 x 365 on call and DDO is how I relax. That said, your comment on the hair is pure truth if you add "makes it curl, straighten, fly off and do loops around the room." For me the issue has always been of rolling out the change I trust but having something else tag along that could not be "tested" because that's not how it is used on the test server. I am betting no one farms for Raid loot, or Masterfully Crafted items on the test server. So why would it be checked there ? If the loot dropped during the golden hour and a half is lost --oh horror, NOT. If it changes things that have been in use for x years, not so much.

IT folks know you go in with a backout plan. Changes to items that take effect as you login to the toon should be logged in a way you can easily identify them and reverse it. If you are not really compiling but are doing this revert process then it would be nicer to say so, not blow smoke. Grab a few characters who are affected, copy them to L and test the reversion out. Fix or not fix. Apply elsewhere and go with it. So the logging function uses a lot of storage, you turn it back off after 2 hours of the initial patch and you tail the log to see what is being affected and watch for goobers. Nothing flags then turn it off and delete the log files ---or better yet just turn the sensitivity of the log down to very low so you can crank it up when someone complains.

Kicksome
12-17-2015, 11:17 PM
The game worlds remain unavailable. We are making progress, and will keep you updated. The current ETA is at least a few more hours.

Thanks for the update! I'd like to believe most of the players appreciate all the work you guys are doing trying to fix things - and at least trying to push the update before the holidays.

MysticRhythms
12-17-2015, 11:19 PM

Fully appreciate the update. Hope everything works out. look forward to seeing positive news in the forums tomorrow.

IconicHero
12-17-2015, 11:44 PM

What is the news on the state of how the game will return with or without the new loot gen items and whether there will be a roll back?

Wakkander
12-17-2015, 11:51 PM

Curiosity sated, thanks!

Waaye
12-17-2015, 11:56 PM
The game worlds remain unavailable. We are making progress, and will keep you updated. The current ETA is at least a few more hours.Thank you for the updates, Cordovan, but keep in mind that peoples' pets will continue to suffer until the servers are up again. Just sayin.

DANTEIL
12-17-2015, 11:58 PM
Welp. The 18th is my birthday so I guess not only will I be going to see Star Wars, I can come back and see what's happened with my characters after U29 as well. My condolences to the developers for having to work overtime to deal with whatever mess arose after the first release of U29.

sjbb87
12-18-2015, 12:05 AM
I think the developers should have a beer after it's all over xD
To relax a bit

Just_Me1963
12-18-2015, 12:09 AM
Welp. The 18th is my birthday so I guess not only will I be going to see Star Wars, I can come back and see what's happened with my characters after U29 as well. My condolences to the developers for having to work overtime to deal with whatever mess arose after the first release of U29.

Mine is the 18th too...as I'm in Oz, already late afternoon here on the 18th, and while I was looking forward to killing pixels today - I took the day off - I can wait until later tonight or even tomorrow so they can get it right.

Cordovan
12-18-2015, 12:18 AM
Our build appears to have been successful and we are continuing the work necessary to open the game worlds. We expect the worlds to remain unavailable for at least another hour or two. We will keep you updated.

dontmater
12-18-2015, 12:21 AM
Our build appears to have been successful and we are continuing the work necessary to open the game worlds. We expect the worlds to remain unavailable for at least another hour or two. We will keep you updated.

thank you for the update, it helps

InsanityIsYourFriend
12-18-2015, 12:22 AM
(continues waiting patiently) I have nowhere to be....

fgimino
12-18-2015, 12:23 AM

They have a backup of the server/db before the glitch, and if the glitch was fixed then the issue with items should be as well IMO.

Nuclear_Elvis
12-18-2015, 12:26 AM
Sounds like Cordovan is stuck making coffee and ordering the pizza. Better give a slice to the security dude!

fgimino
12-18-2015, 12:30 AM
Sounds like Cordovan is stuck making coffee and ordering the pizza. Better give a slice to the security dude!

Is Cordovan a Toad or a Turtle?

AngryDude
12-18-2015, 12:34 AM
I blame the letter R. It went rogue long ago in Boston. I'm sure it's like puppy when your not home.

fgimino
12-18-2015, 12:34 AM
What does it mean? Is it a puzzle or a riddle?

Calinthus
12-18-2015, 12:35 AM
Is Cordovan a Toad or a Turtle?

More like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX9Y4jeCbA8

jk Cordo. Much luv, bro.

knightgf
12-18-2015, 12:35 AM
It really is funny to think about what happened shortly before and after the servers were brought online, only the Three Stooges could match the goof-ups Turbine has made in the last 24 hours.

I bet this is what the developers are dealing with as of this post:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m98c6aY3491rctyxno1_500.gif

fgimino
12-18-2015, 12:37 AM
I do not know been playing a year and barely know anything. I managed to Gimp a barbarian build with 8 fighter levels and 2 Rogue levels...Now come to Find out I may have to live with it to level 30...lol

Borkor
12-18-2015, 12:37 AM
I work in IT as a network engineer. If we do not deliver .9999 uptime, people get fired. I do understand things going wrong, because nothing people build are perfect, but it is good practice to plan and test whatever you are rolling out. Their record is not good. This happens almost every time Turbine does an update. I love the game but I do not like the quality they are delivering. It should be better.

You, as a network engineer, should realize that networks and applications are not the same thing. Networks are infrastructure to the applications routines. Keeping a network up is a lot simpler (I have worked with both). I would also point out that metrics for networks still get brownie points when applications are down. More significantly - DDO's uptime may still be better than 99% - all the complainers don't seem to notice that it is usually up 24-7-365. The fact that around updates or maintenance it has these issue occur is actually a small blip on the uptime radar.

Calinthus
12-18-2015, 12:50 AM
I do not know been playing a year and barely know anything. I managed to Gimp a barbarian build with 8 fighter levels and 2 Rogue levels...Now come to Find out I may have to live with it to level 30...lol

Not necessarily. You can get a Lesser Heart of Wood, from the DDO Store, or the Shard Exchange, and, rarely, on the Auction House. Not to mention, if you have "unredeemed" xpac tickets on alts, they have, I remember(been a while since I redeemed all of them), a Lesser Heart, bta, and an Epic Heart, bta. Could be wrong on this. And, there is always the True Druidic Heart of Wood you can get from the Twelve.
Although, if you're in a decent guild, there will most likely be someone that can help you.
Personally, I'd say play it to cap. Playing an underpowered toon can teach you a lot.

Systern
12-18-2015, 12:57 AM
You, as a network engineer, should realize that networks and applications are not the same thing. Networks are infrastructure to the applications routines. Keeping a network up is a lot simpler (I have worked with both). I would also point out that metrics for networks still get brownie points when applications are down. More significantly - DDO's uptime may still be better than 99% - all the complainers don't seem to notice that it is usually up 24-7-365. The fact that around updates or maintenance it has these issue occur is actually a small blip on the uptime radar.

Just commenting on the math here... The 2 hours per week they take it down for maintenance is 1.19% uptime. So it'll never be greater than 98.81%. Outages like this also impact that ratio. You hear the terms "four nines" and "five nines" thrown around the IT industry, but most people haven't done the math to figure out what they actually mean. "Five Nines", 99.999% uptime is no more than 5 minutes, 15.36 seconds of down time per year. "Four Nines" is no more than 52 minutes, again, per year.

99% uptime is no more than 87.6 hours of downtime per year.

Just saying, DDO is nowhere near 99% uptime or 24-7-365. Not that they're trying to be.

Just_Me1963
12-18-2015, 01:07 AM
Just saying, DDO is nowhere near 99% uptime or 24-7-365. Not that they're trying to be.

Just a thought about 24-7-365. I thought 24-7 meant "24 hours a day, 7 days a week". By logical extension, 365 refers to weeks - and there aint 365 weeks in a year. So, maybe should be "24-7-52"?

fgimino
12-18-2015, 01:11 AM
Not necessarily. You can get a Lesser Heart of Wood, from the DDO Store, or the Shard Exchange, and, rarely, on the Auction House. Not to mention, if you have "unredeemed" xpac tickets on alts, they have, I remember(been a while since I redeemed all of them), a Lesser Heart, bta, and an Epic Heart, bta. Could be wrong on this. And, there is always the True Druidic Heart of Wood you can get from the Twelve.
Although, if you're in a decent guild, there will most likely be someone that can help you.
Personally, I'd say play it to cap. Playing an underpowered toon can teach you a lot. Would I need a +20 to get rid of all the multiclass levels?

Borkor
12-18-2015, 01:16 AM
Just commenting on the math here... The 2 hours per week they take it down for maintenance is 1.19% uptime. So it'll never be greater than 98.81%. Outages like this also impact that ratio. You hear the terms "four nines" and "five nines" thrown around the IT industry, but most people haven't done the math to figure out what they actually mean. "Five Nines", 99.999% uptime is no more than 5 minutes, 15.36 seconds of down time per year. "Four Nines" is no more than 52 minutes, again, per year.

99% uptime is no more than 87.6 hours of downtime per year.

What 2 hours maintenance per week are you talking about? Most weeks there is no maintenance - thus the point of my post. If you can point to a two hour maintenance window per week - I would concede the point - but this the first I have ever heard of it (and I hate to admit - but I am addicted to this game - and would have seen such if it actually existed). I would also add that I said 24-7-365 - No one at DDO did - and they never have. However, I do appreciate you corrective response to my reply exemplifying my point. Thanks for playing.

TheCanuck
12-18-2015, 01:18 AM
More significantly - DDO's uptime may still be better than 99% - all the complainers don't seem to notice that it is usually up 24-7-365. The fact that around updates or maintenance it has these issue occur is actually a small blip on the uptime radar.

Availability %

Downtime per year

Downtime per month

90%

36.5 days

72 hours

95%

18.25 days

36 hours

97%

10.96 days

21.6 hours

98%

7.30 days

14.4 hours

99%

3.65 days

7.20 hours

99.50%

1.83 days

3.60 hours

99.80%

17.52 hours

86.23 minutes

99.90%

8.76 hours

43.8 minutes

99.95%

4.38 hours

21.56 minutes

99.99%

52.56 minutes

4.38 minutes

The fact is that even with four borked updates a year at 21hours downtime each, you still hit 99% uptime. That's more reliable than than most people who take at least 4 sick days in a year. So good luck to the DDO servers on their acute, chronic case of the clap, we all wish you a speedy recovery. Take the day off and enjoy, and we'll be back for more as soon as you're back on the job.

EDIT: Excel rounded my 9's to 100%

Deaeth
12-18-2015, 01:20 AM
Would I need a +20 to get rid of all the multiclass levels?

you only the the +# for as many classes as you are going to change, IE: If you are 10 cleric, 5 rog, 5 druid, and you wanted to change the 5 druid, you'd need +5.

Calinthus
12-18-2015, 01:22 AM
Would I need a +20 to get rid of all the multiclass levels?

If you're looking to get rid of the 2 rouge, you'd have to get a +2 Heart. If you want to lose the 8 fighter, then, yep. A +20 Heart.

fgimino
12-18-2015, 01:23 AM
you only the the +# for as many classes as you are going to change, IE: If you are 10 cleric, 5 rog, 5 druid, and you wanted to change the 5 druid, you'd need +5.
Will my Barb 10/Fighter 8/Rog2 still qualify towards completions\ist for the Barbarian class at TR?

Hobgoblin
12-18-2015, 01:27 AM
Will my Barb 10/Fighter 8/Rog2 still qualify towards completions\ist for the Barbarian class at TR?

in that example yes

it mostly goes by alphabetically
but also order that they were released in.
so bard is beaten buy barbarian, but they both beat artifiicer cause they came out first

Deaeth

Whatever you have the most levels in is what you will gain as a past life. So that setting will get you barbarian past life yes!

fgimino
Thanks, I appreciate the advice...

Deaeth
12-18-2015, 01:28 AM
Availability %

Downtime per year

Downtime per month

90%

36.5 days

72 hours

95%

18.25 days

36 hours

97%

10.96 days

21.6 hours

98%

7.30 days

14.4 hours

99%

3.65 days

7.20 hours

99.50%

1.83 days

3.60 hours

99.80%

17.52 hours

86.23 minutes

99.90%

8.76 hours

43.8 minutes

99.95%

4.38 hours

21.56 minutes

99.99%

52.56 minutes

4.38 minutes

The fact is that even with four borked updates a year at 21hours downtime each, you still hit 99% uptime. That's more reliable than than most people who take at least 4 sick days in a year. So good luck to the DDO servers on their acute, chronic case of the clap, we all wish you a speedy recovery. Take the day off and enjoy, and we'll be back for more as soon as you're back on the job.

Don't forget the frequent 4 hour hotfixes that are usually 1 or 2 a month at least :P

Borkor
12-18-2015, 01:29 AM
Just a thought about 24-7-365. I thought 24-7 meant "24 hours a day, 7 days a week". By logical extension, 365 refers to weeks - and there aint 365 weeks in a year. So, maybe should be "24-7-52"?

Gratz. You win the prize. Your logic is unassailable. However it is also often read as (or dictated (emphasis on ****) as 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 DAYS A YEAR.

Sorry for the tone - like many on these boards I am jonesing....

Borkor
12-18-2015, 01:30 AM
Don't forget the frequent 4 hour hotfixes that are usually 1 or 2 a month at least :P

Since when? Hotfixes accompany updates - which are not usually monthly....

Just_Me1963
12-18-2015, 01:33 AM
Gratz. You win the prize. Your logic is unassailable. However it is also often read as (or dictated (emphasis on ****) as 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 DAYS A YEAR.

Sorry for the tone - like many on these boards I am jonesing....

I AM a Jones:) But as it starts as a sequence, it should therefore logically keep the sequence...so, it could go further as 24-7-52-10-10 as we do place an emphasis on decades :) imho only, of course ;)

Deaeth
12-18-2015, 01:34 AM
Since when? Hotfixes accompany updates - which are not usually monthly....

Nope but look at the past few months, after the update there's been a few hotfixes, even over a month after U28. I don't have exact info as I haven't kept that close a tab on them but just saying. I will say I would guess that Turbine is probably pretty close to 99%.

But I work 3 12's on the weekends so they need to hurry up and let me get my last few hours of playing in b4 I can get back in game on Monday!

everymeal
12-18-2015, 01:38 AM
This content may or may not have been rushed out. I have played many mmos, hardcore progression raiding in all of them. Every single mmo has the same people complaining about the same issues when it is released. People are never happy. Thanks for releasing more content since surely every poster in here works for a large gaming company that makes mmos and content for them. The human capacity for understanding is small if it affects them.

JamesNiels
12-18-2015, 01:45 AM
Availability %

Downtime per year

Downtime per month

90%

36.5 days

72 hours

95%

18.25 days

36 hours

97%

10.96 days

21.6 hours

98%

7.30 days

14.4 hours

99%

3.65 days

7.20 hours

99.50%

1.83 days

3.60 hours

99.80%

17.52 hours

86.23 minutes

99.90%

8.76 hours

43.8 minutes

99.95%

4.38 hours

21.56 minutes

99.99%

52.56 minutes

4.38 minutes

Might be true but thats something different than the fact that DDO is sortof half-broken, and they keep breaking it, usually followed by incomplete solutions.

amylee4000
12-18-2015, 01:48 AM

I agree with that, for me, guys take your time, and now Im thinking right now that my subscription end later this month, so better renew for 6 months more while waiting... bye the way, I was asking in other post is the time of the AH still running during the downtime, I have some items waiting for me in about 3 hours, I was waiting for two days and are nearly mine..

Allnamesaretaken
12-18-2015, 01:48 AM
Look! The server is up!!!

Allnamesaretaken
12-18-2015, 01:50 AM
Made you look :-P

fgimino
12-18-2015, 01:52 AM
Look! The server is up!!! That is not nice!

Allnamesaretaken
12-18-2015, 01:54 AM
That is not nice!

I'm bored :-(

fgimino
12-18-2015, 01:56 AM
I'm bored :-(
Yeah me too, calling it...one hour or two is almost up, and servers are still down :(

Cordovan
12-18-2015, 01:57 AM
We are currently doing some necessary checks prior to reopening the worlds, and will keep you updated.

FifthTime
12-18-2015, 02:01 AM
We are currently doing some necessary checks prior to reopening the worlds, and will keep you updated.

Will older gear that was effected be restored?

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

dontmater

thanks for the update again

FullMetalAlchemist
Personally, I'd say play it to cap. Playing an underpowered toon can teach you a lot.

Gimp is only in peoples minds. D&D mainstay characters through out its history are all gimp in way or the other. That is what makes this game one of the best around. I actually build my characters a little underpowered so I can really play as it was meant to be , WITH FLAWED CHARACTERS so go ahead keep it run till cap then as Calinthus pointed out you will learn 100% more than having a perfect godlike character to fly through the game with, and remember it is a game. Enjoy the little things that make this game Unique such as the two Gargoyles in Spies in the House quest or the Dragon Kobold of Ataraxia's Haven rare encounter or even the Crystal Cove Kobolds , they are hilarious. Cheers Have Fun and May all your LOOTZ be Wonderful. <P.S. Not sure if I spelled Ataraxia's correctly.>

UurlockYgmeov
12-18-2015, 02:12 AM

starting ddo-ml... clicking patch - praying to the Gods of both Xen'drik and Faerun!

FullMetalAlchemist
12-18-2015, 02:17 AM
Greetings and Salutations,

I for one am glad the devs are trying so hard to fix the game even if they knew the Update wasn't ready to launch yet.

I think they all decided,
when the CORPRATE MADE THE CALL TO PUSH THE ISSUE AND LAUNCH IT BECAUSE THEY WANTED A FEW MORE DOLLARS BEFORE CHRISTMAS,
to let it happen to prove that a broken product is bad for all of us.

Thank You DDO Devs for staying and fixing the issues and (maybe) teaching greedy people what happens when greed overrides common sense. (If such the case may be IMHO),

Sincerely ,
Full Metal Alchemist

Jasparion
12-18-2015, 02:21 AM
Greetings and Salutations,

I for one am glad the devs are trying so hard to fix the game even if they knew the Update wasn't ready to launch yet.

I think they all decided,
when the CORPRATE MADE THE CALL TO PUSH THE ISSUE AND LAUNCH IT BECAUSE THEY WANTED A FEW MORE DOLLARS BEFORE CHRISTMAS,
to let it happen to prove that a broken product is bad for all of us.

Thank You DDO Devs for staying and fixing the issues and (maybe) teaching greedy people what happens when greed overrides common sense. (If such the case may be IMHO),

Sincerely ,
Full Metal Alchemist

Im sure they knew they would be working late tonight on fixes, but didnt have a clue just how bad a job they had done with the release.

Borkor
12-18-2015, 02:23 AM
I AM a Jones:) But as it starts as a sequence, it should therefore logically keep the sequence...so, it could go further as 24-7-52-10-10 as we do place an emphasis on decades :) imho only, of course ;)

As I mentioned - I get your logic. But logic us not usually the controlling factor in such things. Go google SPOOLing and see what it gets you. Many acronyms are late changed to match what people view as the 'logical' derivation from which they came. Doesn't make them accurate. I have been familiar with the 24-7-365 long before computers were as ubiquitous as they are now (hint - I am really old. And in regards to this terminology - age wins). I am not familiar with 24-7-52 in the same fashion. Not saying it doesn't happen - but I have not seen it being used - largely because 24-7-365 was there first and beat it to the punch. At this point I am not trying to start a debate with you - in fact I am trying to avoid it. To argue that 'logical' has a place in colloquialisms is a non starter for me - and I would think most other folks too.

Once again I apologize for my tone - but I am jonesing - and I would like to jump o n Turbine too - but most of what I see on these boards demonstrates a lack of understanding the position they are in and a gross misrepresentation of how there preview server and code reivews and updates in general work.

Afyndax
12-18-2015, 02:26 AM
This content may or may not have been rushed out. I have played many mmos, hardcore progression raiding in all of them. Every single mmo has the same people complaining about the same issues when it is released. People are never happy. Thanks for releasing more content since surely every poster in here works for a large gaming company that makes mmos and content for them. The human capacity for understanding is small if it affects them.

I was going to say the same thing. Most MMORPGs nowadays have a decent shot of not being playable the day of a major patch or update. Just to show my age, I remember the good old days of UO, where almost every patch had a major roll-back. To the point where if you could play the game the day after a patch, usually you just goofed around and never did anything serious because more than likely your playtime would be getting reverted. In many situations, an entire week was lost to a roll-back.

As someone with some experience in this, when I saw what the devs had planned, I questioned it just from a risk/reward point of view. Changing gear drops is one thing, but changing the stats on people´s gear is a huge risk, and is there that much upside? is the game going to be drastically better moving forward? It is one of the reasons devs usually stick to adding new content rather than drastic overhauls... it is just easier to code your own stuff rather than mess with someone else´s code.

Deaeth
12-18-2015, 02:26 AM
As I mentioned - I get your logic. But logic us not usually the controlling factor in such things. Go google SPOOLing and see what it gets you. Many acronyms are late changed to match what people view as the 'logical' derivation from which they came. Doesn't make them accurate. I have been familiar with the 24-7-365 long before computers were as ubiquitous as they are now (hint - I am really old. And in regards to this terminology - age wins). I am not familiar with 24-7-52 in the same fashion. Not saying it doesn't happen - but I have not seen it being used - largely because 24-7-365 was there first and beat it to the punch. At this point I am not trying to start a debate with you - in fact I am trying to avoid it. To argue that 'logical' has a place in colloquialisms is a non starter for me - and I would think most other folks too.

Once again I apologize for my tone - but I am jonesing - and I would like to jump o n Turbine too - but most of what I see on these boards demonstrates a lack of understanding the position they are in and a gross misrepresentation of how there preview server and code reivews and updates in general work.

Actually I think the full saying goes 24 hours a DAY, 7 DAYs a week, 365 DAYs a year. If that helps simplify it for the one challenging your comment :P

zep909j
12-18-2015, 02:33 AM
Kobold remember Water Works.

Just_Me1963
12-18-2015, 02:34 AM

I, also, an what people would call really old...52 today, and I didn't really come across 274-7-365 until recently. So, if we hold that it is a "nowism", should it not be changed to 24-7-365.25? I mean, there are leap years...and I am jonesing because I AM a Jones :)

Just_Me1963
12-18-2015, 02:35 AM
Actually I think the full saying goes 24 hours a DAY, 7 DAYs a week, 365 DAYs a year. If that helps simplify it for the one challenging your comment :P

My argument is that 24-7 is a series of logical progression...hours to days. Why go to days again? Why not just 24-365?

Deaeth
12-18-2015, 02:38 AM
My argument is that 24-7 is a series of logical progression...hours to days. Why go to days again? Why not just 24-365?

DEVS, please open the worlds so this argument can end and we can all stop nit picking lololol. We are all right and all wrong! There, problem solved :P

Deaeth
12-18-2015, 02:44 AM
My patcher is updating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

UurlockYgmeov
12-18-2015, 02:48 AM
patching! IN!!!

Wakkander
12-18-2015, 02:48 AM

My assumption would be that the likely origin of the phrase was to indicate service availability at a time where it was common enough that a business might be closed on the weekends, or for various holidays, not to mention having only certain office hours. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year addresses all of that.

Are you open after 9? Yes sir, we are available 24 hours.
Are you closed Sunday? No ma'am, were open seven days a week.
Will you be open Thanksgiving? We are available all 365 days, we don't take breaks so you don't have to!

Saying you are open 52 weeks of the year could still lead to people wondering if that included certain days, such as Christmas, or the 4th of July in the states. Whereas stating 365 does not.

Cordovan
12-18-2015, 02:49 AM
The game worlds have reopened! We apologize for today's downtime.

Cannith Crafting has returned, the Astral Shard Auction House has reopened, and item issues have been corrected. Thank you!

Rhotan
starting ddo-ml... clicking patch - praying to the Gods of both Xen'drik and Faerun!

Me too! but no luck just yet, I planned some time for a good run yesterday with a new

skorpeon
DEVS, please open the worlds so this argument can end and we can all stop nit picking lololol. We are all right and all wrong! There, problem solved :P

Yeah please open it so I can see if the loot I got last night was just a dream?

I did not even get a chance to really look at it properly, we were just running Von 1-4 and having a good time I guess.

The good times they can not take away, but the loot worries me lol

I will not log into my other characters in case they lose all their MC items also.

If the loot stays the way it is we might as well wipe the AH clean as most stuff would be worthless now.

Wakkander
12-18-2015, 02:50 AM
The game worlds have reopened! We apologize for today's downtime.

Cannith Crafting has returned, the Astral Shard Auction House has reopened, and item issues have been corrected. Thank you!

Huzzah, thanks for the long hours and work from the dev and community team.

UurlockYgmeov
12-18-2015, 02:51 AM
Huzzah, thanks for the long hours and work from the dev and community team.

^^^ this.

and see we rolled back the hour or so. :)

Borkor

Funny story. In my response I had put that - with 365 DAYS A YEAR full on caps.....but somehow it vanished from my post. Interesting...probably my own fault when I edited for misspellings...

Cordovan
There was a rollback of character data as part of our fix, so your character will be in a state at the point we brought down the game worlds on Thursday morning for the initial downtime. That means that any items you acquired, or quests you completed, will not have happened.

lifestaker
12-18-2015, 02:54 AM
There was a rollback of character data as part of our fix, so your character will be in a state at the point we brought down the game worlds on Thursday morning for the initial downtime. That means that any items you acquired, or quests you completed, will not have happened.

Go to bed. (and thanks for getting the worlds up)

Dreppo
12-18-2015, 02:57 AM

What about store items purchased?

Cocomajobo
Go to bed.

Never.

Silverleafeon

Thank you one and all.
Well Done.

No Problem on the backtrack, nothing of importance lost.

Vargouille
12-18-2015, 02:59 AM
What about store items purchased?
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/469043-Important-Note-About-Store-Transactions

lifestaker
12-18-2015, 03:01 AM
Never.

Your QA, no offence but you are not allowed to go to sleep. Rules of the job.

Borkor
12-18-2015, 03:02 AM
My assumption would be that the likely origin of the phrase was to indicate service availability at a time where it was common enough that a business might be closed on the weekends, or for various holidays, not to mention having only certain office hours. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year addresses all of that.

Are you open after 9? Yes sir, we are available 24 hours.
Are you closed Sunday? No ma'am, were open seven days a week.
Will you be open Thanksgiving? We are available all 365 days, we don't take breaks so you don't have to!

Saying you are open 52 weeks of the year could still lead to people wondering if that included certain days, such as Christmas, or the 4th of July in the states. Whereas stating 365 does not.

Another good response.

Once again (to those who are giving me ****) - I am not arguing the logic of this statement of availability - I am telling you it has been a standard for more than 50 years. Statements by others who want to argue logic are non starters. I have heard these statements of availability my entire life. Now you want to tell me they aren't logical. Sorry - you lose - I will state again - logic has little to do with acronyms or colloquialisms. They are created by the masses - not be the elites. So get used to not being able to derive them from analyzing them...

I would say this is a place that the internet could improve upon - only I have seen what the internet creates - and I am not impressed....

ifumoveudie
12-18-2015, 03:03 AM
My account is loading the new patches now, so I am assuming that they finally got everything back online. See you guys in game soon.

Gleep_Wurp
12-18-2015, 03:03 AM

but i bought points 60 bucks worth. bought the travels box, opened it and now i have nothing from the box, no 100 shards and im out turbine points. im not going to run without the 50 % xp bump