PDA

View Full Version : Downtime Notice: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) Thursday, December 17th

Cordovan
12-16-2015, 08:10 PM
UPDATE: The game worlds have opened! Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!

The DDO Game Servers will be brought down on Thursday, December 17th from 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) to launch Update 29: The Codex War. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

eris2323
12-16-2015, 08:18 PM
The DDO Game Servers will be brought down on Thursday, December 17th from 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM Eastern (-5 GMT) to launch Update 29: The Codex War. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!
Damn. So much for even 24 hours notice.

slarden
12-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Awesome!

May the force be with you.

Melli
12-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Seriously? This is terrible planning. There are going to be hordes of people who have already logged off for the night who will wake up to find that they hadn't been given notice to TR characters. This is too late at night to make an announcement like this.

Robai
12-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Why so short time? Give us several days please to ETR toons. I have several lvl 27 toons, 1 day won't be enough to ETR them.

DemonMage
12-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Short notice is very likely because launching on a Friday is a terrible idea. And next week is the holiday week, with likely a number of people being off most if not all of the week at Turbine. And elsewhere, which makes it easier for people to maybe get some runs in. Launching now means they also have a short window to create, verify, and deploy fixes before the actual holiday itself hits in the event of something big happening. If they don't do it tomorrow, they can't(/shouldn't) really do it until after the new year really.

And as they stated prior, they had to verify some things (they didn't specify what) yesterday/today before determining whether they could do pre or post holiday.

hp1055cm
12-16-2015, 08:29 PM
I realize this update has been in the works for awhile but there is no excuse for not providing a longer notice about this. :(
Amazing that you guys can't plan this better and give at least a 3-5 day notice.

Hope everything with the update goes well - with a BIG emphasis on hope.

JosieLisbeth
12-16-2015, 08:33 PM
Doooommm!!!

[More seriously, I'm mostly concerned about the new random generated loot system being totally whack, so I'm hoping they've delayed that part...]

LongshotBro
12-16-2015, 08:35 PM
I'm not so much concerned about the advance notice as I am that 24 hours ago it was like, maybe in a week. Now BAM it's out tomorrow. (I was one of those who voted in the impromptu poll that I would prefer a delay to wait for more polished content).

Holymunchkin
12-16-2015, 08:35 PM
some surprises are nice =)

We'll see if Renowned bangs that world 1st out immediately or if the lag monster conumes us all for the weekend.....

Silverleafeon
12-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Working on a few sagas tonight.

On second thought, I'll do them tomorrow and earn the quest xp at the same time.

FranOhmsford
12-16-2015, 09:10 PM
Aaaaargh - Still 800k away from 28!

Kwyjibo
12-16-2015, 09:13 PM
sigh...fingers crossed everything goes well and my vacation isn't DDO-less

Faltout
12-16-2015, 09:25 PM
Doooommm!!!

[More seriously, I'm mostly concerned about the new random generated loot system being totally whack, so I'm hoping they've delayed that part...]
Except the part where new random loot is unneeded power creep, you can fully expect it to not work with existing mechanics.
Another ghostbane update that further ruins game loot.

dontmater
12-16-2015, 09:37 PM
on the bright side...at least they are finaly restarting the servers after the events...... it should help.

dunklezhan
NO NO NO!

Bah. I will be sleeping most of tomorrow having just got back from Star Wars (it is 330am here) and being a little too hyped to sleep right now (spoiler free review: go see it)... I have booked tomorrow off and you're telling me I won't be able to play DDO when I wake up?

Why is it that you hate me Turbine? JJ Abrams clearly loves me, so why do you hate me?

eris2323
All right, I'm ready... BRING IT ON! (actually looking forward to new loots for my new tr levelling up)

Although I did have to log in and tell my guildies that it was happening tomorrow, so, technically, you guys owe me an ottos box for spreading the news.

(worth a shot)

Thrudh
12-16-2015, 09:43 PM

Aren't the Turbine devs going to Star Wars tomorrow night?

Banshee_Kate
12-16-2015, 09:43 PM
I wasn't quite ready!!!!!!!!!!! Back to running!!!!!!! I was tired for the night..........ARG

Jasparion
12-16-2015, 09:58 PM

Easy with a pot. We are 1.6m away. Not so easy...

HAL
12-16-2015, 10:13 PM
Come on people, once its on Lamannia you know its coming soon. Don't blame Turbine because you didn't get your Reincarnations done.

Jasparion
12-16-2015, 10:19 PM
Come on people, once its on Lamannia you know its coming soon. Don't blame Turbine because you didn't get your Reincarnations done.

If we had more than 12 hours notice we would have played a little later last night, and maybe even the night before.

Nhennan
12-16-2015, 10:20 PM
Hahahaha. I'm sitting at cap with sagas prepped for this. However, the downtime is from 3am to 7am my time, and then I have to go to work..... <sigh>

amylee4000
12-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Nice... finishing already my work shift... I can play all this morning until 14.00 before go to bed...

TrinityTurtle
12-16-2015, 10:47 PM
11 -2 will be at work...that leaves an hour I can't keep procrastinating on the holiday shopping and wrapping using ddo as an excuse. I guess it's time to get it done with.

Bolo_Grubb
12-16-2015, 11:02 PM
11 -2 will be at work...that leaves an hour I can't keep procrastinating on the holiday shopping and wrapping using ddo as an excuse. I guess it's time to get it done with.

LOL right in the middle of my work day, dang what am I going to do to avoid work????

Vorthian
12-16-2015, 11:06 PM
Though not an official post stating the U29 update would be on X date, that it may occur this week was posted on the forums.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468795-When-is-the-official-release-date-of-u29#post5740327

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468795-When-is-the-official-release-date-of-u29#post5740411

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468795-When-is-the-official-release-date-of-u29/page2#post5741801

Given the nature of DDO development I've come to accept this type of short notice. That may be a different tune if nothing had been posted and U29 came completely out of the blue for those of us paying attention to Dev Tracker.

Basura_Grande
12-16-2015, 11:28 PM
LOLz . . . 12 hours notice. Real classy move Turbine.

Lagin
12-16-2015, 11:31 PM

they deserve it, after the update launches properly. :cool:

redoubt
12-17-2015, 12:26 AM
Easy with a pot. We are 1.6m away. Not so easy...

D**n.... I'm 5mil away. Could have done it in a week, but not in 12 hours with no sleep...

At least I have tix to go see SW. Give me something to do Friday when the game goes back down.

HurtyouBad
12-17-2015, 12:30 AM
yep its true , in the distance I hear faint violins because it definitly isn't q-sirens....Update comments are same everytime , I didn't have enough time , why didn't they give us 12-24 hr notice or x-days notice....do not worry I got your back , here are some Holiday kleenexs for those of you whining.......MERRY CHRISTMAS D.D.O. team and ty for another great year and enjoy the holiday break :)

Ankiil
12-17-2015, 02:03 AM
Arg noooo. Too short notice.
I have half the day off today, just to make ER, and cash in sagas. Now its time to watch downtime.:eek:
I am looking forward to the update but had hoped for a few days notice.

pjstechie
12-17-2015, 02:18 AM

Here's a newly released interview of the devs about update 29 for those looking for something during the downtime: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468922-DDOCast-410-Ask-the-Devs-Update-29

Jiirix
12-17-2015, 02:45 AM
The short notice may have the positive effect that not ALL epic heroes are level 20 when the legendary content goes to live. Honi soit qui mal y pense / Ein Schelm der böses dabei denkt. (I don't know if there is a English version of this "May he be shamed who thinks badly of it" comes close.)

AlcoArgo
12-17-2015, 02:47 AM
Well done. Now I have no time to prepare any of my characters.

Who plans these things? Stoned monkeys?

Seikojin
12-17-2015, 03:02 AM
Yay! Finally something that may peel me away from the wasteland!

ned_ellis
12-17-2015, 03:02 AM

I was going to write a sarcastic comment but I'm just too disheartened to bother; I will simply remind you that you have clients in various time zones who actually try and cram in gametime within rl commitments that need, what's that magic word, planning?!? Huh, would you look at that, my original plan brought sarcasm to the table anyway...
Please try and keep same day announcements for extraordinary / unavoidable circumstances in the future?!

DefecTalisman
12-17-2015, 03:18 AM

Well that’s it then for me. Not even 24 hours notice. What a joke this game has become. I wanted to ETR my wife and myselfs main toons this evening as there was no notice for downtime yesterday. So that’s 2 subscriptions that we will cancel because you can't even be arsed to give proper notice to people to get ready for something that greatly affects us.

The fact that you can't even be bothered to send out a newsletter giving players fair warning is just sad.

Feralthyrtiaq
12-17-2015, 03:31 AM
Alright maybe not sneaky because we knew it was coming but...

FFS really?

No word from the dev team for a couple days and then just BAM!!!

Not even 24 hours notice?

The old Turbine stick in the eye strikes again.

VERY POOR FORM

dontmater
12-17-2015, 03:36 AM
maybe they can learn from it.. 14 hours seems to be too short of notice for something that changes the TR landscape so much.. hope they do better next time

Mojo_d
12-17-2015, 03:50 AM
On one hand, not cool guys,not cool at all...
On the other hand, woot woot,u29!! XD

rygard
12-17-2015, 04:38 AM
your lack of quality in every possible desicion and plan still amuse me every time.

kned225
12-17-2015, 04:46 AM
So much crying in one thread. Its not less than 12hrs notice, people.....they told you in EARLY NOVEMBER. They told you very clearly that u29 is coming in December so get your characters ready

It's not their fault if you procrastinated and/or can't take direction

Wanesa
12-17-2015, 05:05 AM
Ouch. Azaxe has level 27 and 1 mil XP to level. I suppose she will unable to make it (the ER), because I am at work now. OK, It is good opportunity to explore new feat options.

ned_ellis
12-17-2015, 05:12 AM
[/QUOTE=kned225;5742183]So much crying in one thread. Its not less than 12hrs notice, people.....they told you in EARLY NOVEMBER. They told you very clearly that u29 is coming in December so get your characters ready

It's not their fault if you procrastinated and/or can't take direction[/QUOTE]

It's not about that, it's about managing static grps a guild runs, it's about telling ur wife to go to that dinner on Thursday instead of friday, it's getting that doctors appointment on Wed and not today, it's not throwing away hours off work you've allready booked, it's about realising all this before your mid-morning coffee break on the same day of the downtime because you are not in a us timezone...

DefecTalisman
12-17-2015, 05:15 AM
So much crying in one thread. Its not less than 12hrs notice, people.....they told you in EARLY NOVEMBER. They told you very clearly that u29 is coming in December so get your characters ready

They did not tell us in November what day the update will fall on. Every post relating to the due date of the update is misleading and ambiguous. At this time of year there are more important things than logging into DDO to spend hours having to ER & TR. The last thing I have time for is to sit around checking the forums every couple of hours for a post from a staff member saying that the update that will affect all your capped characters is happening in less than 24 hours. Hey but what does it matter, it’s only the last 4 years of my gamming that they are messing with and 4 years of paying for VIP on 2 accounts that are just going to grow dust now.

Also I am sure they are more than capable of defending their rash decisions themselves and don't need you to try come to their rescue.

cdbd3rd
12-17-2015, 05:17 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-w1GWxnHj9s4/UGta4DPo_yI/AAAAAAAATBM/g4EP-venXcc/s640/Violet+Crawley,+Dowager+Countess+of+Grantham+gif,+ Downton+Abbey+.gif

TRing gonna be too hard? No pain, no gain...

https://secure.static.tumblr.com/2a1f0595aceab90b374b08f9f878754a/ytcnyug/b0en57ezd/tumblr_static_tumblr_static_cz00jz4pmg8oc4484osc4w k4k_640.gif

Dhalgren
12-17-2015, 05:25 AM
[/QUOTE=kned225;5742183]So much crying in one thread. Its not less than 12hrs notice, people.....they told you in EARLY NOVEMBER. They told you very clearly that u29 is coming in December so get your characters ready

It's not about that, it's about managing static grps a guild runs, it's about telling ur wife to go to that dinner on Thursday instead of friday, it's getting that doctors appointment on Wed and not today, it's not throwing away hours off work you've allready booked, it's about realising all this before your mid-morning coffee break on the same day of the downtime because you are not in a us timezone...[/QUOTE]

If you are organizing your life around a video game, and getting that bent out of shape over it, the problem is not on Turbine's end.

They said earlier this week that the update would be this week. They don't do updates like this on Fridays. So as of yesterday morning, when it hadn't happened, your window was pretty much Thursday morning.

If you couldn't figure that out and compensate, and if you have chosen to try to schedule your personal world around that but not paid attention to where things were likely to fall, that's pretty much on you.

kned225
12-17-2015, 05:27 AM
At this time of year there are more important things than logging into DDO to spend hours having to ER & TR.

Uh yeah....they did tell you in November. And you're right....this IS a busy time of year. Thats why you should have done all your prep in November...when they warned you

Like me. I've been ready for weeks

Avenir
12-17-2015, 05:30 AM

"You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later" +1

Dhalgren
12-17-2015, 05:32 AM
Uh yeah....they did tell you in November. And you're right....this IS a busy time of year. Thats why you should have done all your prep in November...when they warned you

So much this. My TR group knew this was coming but also knew we wouldn't necessarily know the exact day. So we're all happily level 11.

Really, wasn't THAT hard to plan for.

TitusOvid
12-17-2015, 05:35 AM
Gz on update. Fingers crossed it is not premature.
Bad form on goving notice.

DefecTalisman
12-17-2015, 05:50 AM

So I was supposed to take all our capped toons to level 1 or 20 at the drop of a hat because there was a sign of an update that will affect them a month prior to the actual update? This would then leave me no toons to play because they are all at gimp levels.

If you are organizing your life around a video game, and getting that bent out of shape over it, the problem is not on Turbine's end.

They said earlier this week that the update would be this week. They don't do updates like this on Fridays. So as of yesterday morning, when it hadn't happened, your window was pretty much Thursday morning.

If you couldn't figure that out and compensate, and if you have chosen to try to schedule your personal world around that but not paid attention to where things were likely to fall, that's pretty much on you.

DDO is part of my life (well was now) and I am not organising my life around it, but rather organising it into my life. Unlike some my life doesn't revolve around a game. But we did prep in foresight for this update by getting our main toons to cap and leaving them playable whilst we awaited an ETA on when the update will go live. The fact that they posted the ETA for it after midnight for European players is just totally thoughtless to those players.

No they said earlier this week that the update could be this week but it could also be next month. Since that post there was no mention of anything. So at the last minute they drop in and say hey the update is in less than 24 hours (so we can all get our xmas bonuses at the cost of professionalism).

Taking what you said in your first statement, I shouldn't be organising my life around a game, so thus I shouldn't have to be working out Turbine logic as to when they decide to go live with an update. Instead like any normal person I expected a company that takes money off people for a service to give fair and decent warning to the customer base that they are making a major change to the service on a specific day. Not less than 24 hours. So we must compensate for their total lack of professionalism and thought to their customer base?

ned_ellis
12-17-2015, 05:53 AM

If you couldn't figure that out and compensate, and if you have chosen to try to schedule your personal world around that but not paid attention to where things were likely to fall, that's pretty much on you.[/QUOTE]

I'm not Bent out of shape, im Calmly pointing out some practical issues that may be of use considering in the future (rl commitments and time zones).
Also, if I'm supposed to be forum checking 24/7 then I would have noticed this last quote from cordovan last night at almost 2300hrs : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468795-When-is-the-official-release-date-of-u29/page2
And STILL not known!
If you look a few posts before there is a veteran forumite (10k+ posts) that hypothesises a friday release...I've bee playing 4yrs but hadn't aggregated average weekday of release info,no-sry.
Hey, ill do something else, of course, but I was unaware that turbine's aim was to hinder logging on to their game...regardless, happy questing all, let's hope it's a good update!

kned225
12-17-2015, 06:10 AM
So I was supposed to take all our capped toons to level 1 or 20 at the drop of a hat because there was a sign of an update that will affect them a month prior to the actual update? This would then leave me no toons to play because they are all at gimp levels.

Sigh....

No, you could've flagged your 28s for reincarnation and continued to play them at 28. I mean really, that was the only prep that needed doing. You've had since Oct 27th to do it

Its not a difficult concept. Flag the guys you wanna flag, then continue playing normally understanding that anything you do in December is subject to u29 interruption

You're welcome

Qhualor
12-17-2015, 06:11 AM
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh2/LostKyd/Homealone_scream.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/LostKyd/media/Homealone_scream.gif.html)

kned225
12-17-2015, 06:18 AM
It's not about that, it's about managing static grps a guild runs, it's about telling ur wife to go to that dinner on Thursday instead of friday, it's getting that doctors appointment on Wed and not today, it's not throwing away hours off work you've allready booked, it's about realising all this before your mid-morning coffee break on the same day of the downtime because you are not in a us timezone...

This is kinda scary

DefecTalisman
12-17-2015, 06:20 AM
Sigh....

No, you could've flagged your 28s for reincarnation and continued to play them at 28. I mean really, that was the only prep that needed doing. You've had since Oct 27th to do it

Its not a difficult concept. Flag the guys you wanna flag, then continue playing normally understanding that anything you do in December is subject to u29 interruption

You're welcome

I thought to do this. But thanks to the lack of information on the subject of the cap increase and already flagged for reincarnation toons, I decided this was not the best thing to do in case the flagged toons could get all screwed up as they would no longer be at cap.

ned_ellis
12-17-2015, 06:25 AM
This is kinda scary

May I ask why?
As someone said well above, it's about managing ddo into our rl, not the other way around...

Coyopa
12-17-2015, 06:27 AM
Lack of planning and consideration for players is par for the course with Turbine. Thanks for the early notice!

DefecTalisman
12-17-2015, 06:28 AM
No matter what I did or didn't do. The one fact still stands, Turbine gave us paying customers less than 24 hours notice for a major change to my paid for (in time and money) characters. This is not how a service level company should operate and shows total disregard for the customer base.

Oh and how dare anyone say anything bad about this lack of professionalism, or you will have a hound of angry butt hurt fanboys all up in arms and running to the rescue.

krzyysiek098
12-17-2015, 06:34 AM
So short notice is a spit in the face of community and showing no respect to your players.

After finishing my work I have like 40 minutes before downtime to make 4 TRs. Thank you very much. I'm really *****.

Micki
12-17-2015, 06:35 AM
I'm not the least surprised by this, we were guessing they were gonna push it out at the end of the week. But.. I was hoping they wouldn't as I haven't had time to TR my toon, as I had planned.

Mojo_d
12-17-2015, 06:40 AM
I have a toon almost capped and another 3 that are capped already.I might need some more xp now to cap,but its not like there aren't enough quests for 2 more mil xp :P
Also if you have toons capped,you get to enjoy the new content right away with all your power :)
And you play with lots of toons,that will make it easier to farm new items and stuff.
The only thing I am worried about is whether the update was ready for release,or it was rushed to go live.I really hope it is not the latter,as this would mean buggy content for next week..

kned225
12-17-2015, 06:41 AM
The one fact still stands, Turbine gave us paying customers less than 24 hours notice for a major change

October 27th is longer than "less than 24hrs"

kned225
12-17-2015, 06:42 AM
So short notice is a spit in the face of community and showing no respect to your players.

After finishing my work I have like 40 minutes before downtime to make 4 TRs. Thank you very much. I'm really *****.

After work, 40mins

Before work, since October 27th

Ganak
12-17-2015, 06:46 AM

7 p.m. EST tickets tonight myself:)

DefecTalisman
12-17-2015, 06:56 AM

Please provide reference to when this updates downtime was scheduled or better yet, provide reference to when Turbine asked players to answer for their actions.

vaniir1976
12-17-2015, 06:58 AM
No matter what I did or didn't do. The one fact still stands, Turbine gave us paying customers less than 24 hours notice for a major change to my paid for (in time and money) characters. This is not how a service level company should operate and shows total disregard for the customer base.

Oh and how dare anyone say anything bad about this lack of professionalism, or you will have a hound of angry butt hurt fanboys all up in arms and running to the rescue.

This.

The fanboys that excuse this poor behavior by the DDO team make me laugh.

I don't care that they said "some time in December" two months ago. That's not the same as saying "it'll be Dec. 17th" in October. They should have given us, the PAYING CUSTOMERS, at least a few days notice.

And for the record, I'm not losing anything by this. I have one guy at cap (that I could easily TR or ETR right now if I wanted), one guy at 18, and one guy at 4. This late notice doesn't affect me in the way it is affecting others. I just find the lack of customer service appalling.

Hephaistor
12-17-2015, 07:08 AM

There is a Dev quote somewehere that you don't have to do the TR, you just havt to go to the fate spinner and turn in the heart and karma to get flagged for reincarnation. The "reincarnate" button should still be in the character selection screen after the update.

kwbonin
12-17-2015, 07:10 AM

There is way too much negative chatter about the short notice. It is just a game, let's keep things in perspective and remove the anger. Life is way too short to get angry about a game. Play the game and have fun with it. It's not worth the stress.

Darkmits
12-17-2015, 07:12 AM
18:00-22:00 EET... I return home from work at 17:30. This can't be random.

/tinfoilhat

brzytki
12-17-2015, 07:19 AM

After work, 40mins

Before work, since October 27th

Please just stop. By the same logic, you could say that the playerbase had 1+ year to prepare because somewhere around that time it was mentioned that the lvl cap would be increased near the end of 2016.

A company that provides a paid service globally should take into consideration other time zones apart from US ones, thus half a day of notice is a very poor move. For me personally, I woke up and by chance checked the forums just to see that the servers would be brought down in 7h. I'm fine with hotfixes having a short notice, but a major update should be officially announced at the very least one day before.

DefecTalisman
12-17-2015, 07:20 AM
There is way too much negative chatter about the short notice. It is just a game, let's keep things in perspective and remove the anger. Life is way too short to get angry about a game. Play the game and have fun with it. It's not worth the stress.

LOL, maybe there’s negative comments about the lack of notice (short would assume there was some notice) because it is a real issue for real people.

It's just a game that people spend real money on and real time on. I wonder if any other services you pay for decided to make major changes and give little to no notice you would be chirping the same tune.

kned225
12-17-2015, 07:21 AM
This.

The fanboys that excuse this poor behavior by the DDO team make me laugh.

I don't care that they said "some time in December" two months ago. That's not the same as saying "it'll be Dec. 17th" in October. They should have given us, the PAYING CUSTOMERS, at least a few days notice.

And for the record, I'm not losing anything by this. I have one guy at cap (that I could easily TR or ETR right now if I wanted), one guy at 18, and one guy at 4. This late notice doesn't affect me in the way it is affecting others. I just find the lack of customer service appalling.

Im sure what you meant to say was Thank You!..to a dev team that was obviously working very hard and very late last night to get this update out in time for our holidays, with limited manpower and budget

Im sure they probably didn't know until about 10mins before the post was made whether this was gonna be a go-ahead for today, or they may have given more notice. But this close to Christmas there just isn't time to wait.

Im just happy they got it done, unlike some people. With them its all me me me me me

Sad

kned225
12-17-2015, 07:28 AM
it is a real issue for real people.

really?

kned225
12-17-2015, 07:33 AM
Please just stop. By the same logic, you could say that the playerbase had 1+ year to prepare because somewhere around that time it was mentioned that the lvl cap would be increased near the end of 2016.

A company that provides a paid service globally should take into consideration other time zones apart from US ones, thus half a day of notice is a very poor move. For me personally, I woke up and by chance checked the forums just to see that the servers would be brought down in 7h. I'm fine with hotfixes having a short notice, but a major update should be officially announced at the very least one day before.

October 27th is longer than "at the very least one day before"

DefecTalisman
12-17-2015, 07:35 AM
Im sure what you meant to say was Thank You!..to a dev team that was obviously working very hard and very late last night to get this update out in time for our holidays, with limited manpower and budget

Im sure they probably didn't know until about 10mins before the post was made whether this was gonna be a go-ahead for today, or they may have given more notice. But this close to Christmas there just isn't time to wait.

Im just happy they got it done, unlike some people. With them its all me me me me me

Sad

I highly doubt the motivation for rushing the release of this update was for the players and their wellbeing. I don't see anyone saying "hurry up with the update already, release it as is, we don't care its not finished." or "just release the update, we don't need to know when".

Also I doubt he meant give thanks for something that he hasn't received yet.

Limited man power and budget is 100% the norm for businesses. Do you send thank yous to all your service providers?

Stoner81
12-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Can we get some release notes please or am I blind?

Stoner81.

brzytki
12-17-2015, 07:39 AM

1+ year is longer than "at the very least one day before". Your point being?

I'm not talking about the fact that some people won't be able to log in and talk to the reincarnation guy before the downtime. I'm talking about the fact that some people already planned their days and got screwed by Turbine because of the short notice before the downtime.

Now, please Mr. Fanboi, defend Turbine away.

Caprice
12-17-2015, 07:43 AM
I'm just chiming in to say that I think the decision to release this update with so little notice was terrible. Thankfully Cordovan gave us a warning, albeit on a server forum, so that the word that this might happen got out at least a little. But really I think that should have been broadcast as an official announcement with a statement that it might be delayed.

This is not a doom and gloom/"I'm quitting" post, but I am disappointed.

Dhalgren
12-17-2015, 07:44 AM

DDO is part of my life (well was now) and I am not organising my life around it, but rather organising it into my life. Unlike some my life doesn't revolve around a game. But we did prep in foresight for this update by getting our main toons to cap and leaving them playable whilst we awaited an ETA on when the update will go live. The fact that they posted the ETA for it after midnight for European players is just totally thoughtless to those players.

No they said earlier this week that the update could be this week but it could also be next month. Since that post there was no mention of anything. So at the last minute they drop in and say hey the update is in less than 24 hours (so we can all get our xmas bonuses at the cost of professionalism).

Taking what you said in your first statement, I shouldn't be organising my life around a game, so thus I shouldn't have to be working out Turbine logic as to when they decide to go live with an update. Instead like any normal person I expected a company that takes money off people for a service to give fair and decent warning to the customer base that they are making a major change to the service on a specific day. Not less than 24 hours. So we must compensate for their total lack of professionalism and thought to their customer base?

They said it was planned for this week, but that it could possibly be pushed to after the holidays. You choosing to make your plans based on what what was clearly a contingency caveat is not their fault.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Good advice in game, and out. You had your warning.

Thoden
12-17-2015, 07:45 AM
I'm ok with it. I just finished a barbarian life that kicked butt. While I wish I could have finished my heroic Completionist run, I'm really glad that I didn't ETR last night, because I would have also TRed into a sorc life : (

As it stands, today I have new content, right away, and I am capped in a class that was fun to play. No problems here : )

Dhalgren
12-17-2015, 07:47 AM

I don't think that the people who read the posts and planned accordingly are exactly the ones to be described as angry butt-hurt hounds just now. Just sayin'.

DefecTalisman
12-17-2015, 07:53 AM
They said it was planned for this week, but that it could possibly be pushed to after the holidays. You choosing to make your plans based on what what was clearly a contingency caveat is not their fault.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Good advice in game, and out. You had your warning.

The statements you are referring to cannot be referred to as a warning for the pending update. They just say "*shrug shoulders* we don't know when, it could be this year, it could be next year." in a very professional way. I get more notice from the people that clean my windows outside for my flat than we got for this update and that doesn't even affect me in the slightest.

Caprice
12-17-2015, 07:56 AM
FWIW Varg posted that you don't need to reincarnate your characters before U29, you just need to apply the Heart so that the character selection screen shows the option to reincarnate. That should make it much faster to prep those 28s awaiting ER/IRs for the people who can just barely get on before the downtime.

Reincarnation Flagging: According to our tests, if you flag for Reincarnation before Update 29 (make it so Character Select shows the big REINCARNATE button), you will be able to reincarnate after Update 29 without any further changes. You won't have to gain additional XP or levels, etc.(source (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/467833-Update-29-Level-30-Overview?p=5724801&viewfull=1#post5724801)).

Feralthyrtiaq
12-17-2015, 08:01 AM
but my main gripe was the lack of a definitive dev response about the date and the lack of any real communication regarding U29 on these forums over the past 48+ hours.

Even if I don't agree with other player's concerns about balance and feats and DCs and w/e else I still feel like lack of Dev response to most of it unprofessional.

Yeah, we've known for a while. So flipping what! That goes without saying and I find these comments to be nothing but snarky "We told you so! /snicker snicker" tripe.

I shows a lack of respect for the player base. Both paying and f2p customers.

krzyysiek098
12-17-2015, 08:10 AM
FWIW Varg posted that you don't need to reincarnate your characters before U29, you just need to apply the Heart so that the character selection screen shows the option to reincarnate. That should make it much faster to prep those 28s awaiting ER/IRs for the people who can just barely get on before the downtime.
(source (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/467833-Update-29-Level-30-Overview?p=5724801&viewfull=1#post5724801)).

Cool, but a traffic jam happens and I won't have a chance even for that.
Just like many other people who work in different time zones.

When I went to bed yesterday there was no downtime notice. Cordovan's post popped up at 3 am CET. Just bear in mind that not everyone lives in the US.

Very poor move Turbine, I'm disappointed.

Jango-EX
12-17-2015, 08:11 AM
I don't think that the people who read the posts and planned accordingly are exactly the ones to be described as angry butt-hurt hounds just now. Just sayin'.

This. A thousand times this.

Pnumbra
12-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Why are people so upset? Everyone knew this highly expected update was coming for months. There were podcast and threads winding up this event. Last minute prep never works. Don't blame the Devs. I can't wait to see the new loot and other changes.

kned225
12-17-2015, 08:15 AM
I'm not talking about the fact that some people won't be able to log in and talk to the reincarnation guy before the downtime. I'm talking about the fact that some people already planned their days and got screwed by Turbine because of the short notice before the downtime.

I don't book days off work to play ddo, but if YOU did, i think you had pretty good warning that losing some of it to downtime was even more likely than usual

Happens sometimes, right. You'll be ok

Tom.JonesJr
12-17-2015, 08:18 AM
Ok, so everyone is complaining that Turbine should have give advance notice (ie more then 14 hr) for the server update. Let look at things from their side for a change and not from our own personal view (I have been hurt give me reward).

Reasons for
1. Goal was to release in Dec (game is ready Turbine opinion)
2. Jester can not make it to Stormreach without update.
3. If we do not patch Thursday, no time if something goes wrong during process before weekend.
4. If we wait till Monday, game could be down over the Holiday do to low staff.

I am sure there are more, but these are the big ones that I see.

Reasons against
1. Short advance warning for players. ( But wait I think Cord said that U29 would be soonish(TM) )

I myself have been telling everyone that would listen in my normal groups for the past 2 weeks that the target date for this release would be Thursday the 17 and Monday the 21 at the latest. And I am not on any player consul. That is just based on past behaviors. When have we ever seen an update on Lam more then 4 times. The time constraints with the Holidays and the target deadline of "This Year". No one should be surprised this release.

Get your heads out of the sand. If you planned your life around playing this game during the 4 hour down time window, I am sorry that you did not get told like a school child that the test was today. Go out and enjoy some Holiday Spirits while wait ( sorry that should be Spirit right).

DefecTalisman
12-17-2015, 08:20 AM

Funny that, because they are replying and quoting my posts like they are. They are acting like I was saying something negative to them.

(source (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/467833-Update-29-Level-30-Overview?p=5724801&viewfull=1#post5724801)).

Ah see now I didn't read that post because I didn't want to spoil what the new update was going to bring to the table. I would have done this last night if the notice for the update was posted even 2 hours earlier, but hey I get to work this morning, check my email and a few forums to see that Turbine has decided to give us 14 hours notice for the update...............

CaptainPurge
12-17-2015, 08:22 AM
So much crying in one thread. Its not less than 12hrs notice, people.....they told you in EARLY NOVEMBER MOVEMBER. They told you very clearly that u29 is coming in December so get your characters ready

Made a slight correction.

brzytki
12-17-2015, 08:30 AM
I don't book days off work to play ddo, but if YOU did, i think you had pretty good warning that losing some of it to downtime was even more likely than usual

Happens sometimes, right. You'll be ok

I don't either. Besides sleeping, working and playing there are other activities in RL though. Yes, we had a warning. That warning said that the update might go live in range from "later this week" to "after the holidays", so it didn't really reveal much.

I know i'll be ok, but saying "you'll be ok" is a really low excuse for the lack of consideration for the player base, be it US or European.

Jango-EX
12-17-2015, 08:33 AM
Funny that, because they are replying and quoting my posts like they are. They are acting like I was saying something negative to them.

No they're not. :)

At most, they were amused by your... overreaction? Hmmm... oh, your "butthurt". That's right.

Fluffib
12-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Ok, so everyone is complaining that Turbine should have give advance notice (ie more then 14 hr) for the server update. Let look at things from their side for a change and not from our own personal view (I have been hurt give me reward).

Reasons for
3. If we do not patch Thursday, no time if something goes wrong during process before weekend.
4. If we wait till Monday, game could be down over the Holiday do to low staff.

Reasons against
1. Short advance warning for players. ( But wait I think Cord said that U29 would be soonish(TM) )

I myself have been telling everyone that would listen in my normal groups for the past 2 weeks that the target date for this release would be Thursday the 17 and Monday the 21 at the latest. And I am not on any player consul. That is just based on past behaviors. When have we ever seen an update on Lam more then 4 times. The time constraints with the Holidays and the target deadline of "This Year". No one should be surprised this release.

Get your heads out of the sand. If you planned your life around playing this game during the 4 hour down time window, I am sorry that you did not get told like a school child that the test was today. Go out and enjoy some Holiday Spirits while wait ( sorry that should be Spirit right).

I agree with others that the short notice is unprofessional. Not appalling, not disrespectful.. just unprofessional. The right thing to do would have been would have been simply, on December 14th, to say the update was coming on out December 17. And then your work towards your deadline, like a professional. Not "we'll release as soon as it's ready", which is unprofessional.

DefecTalisman
12-17-2015, 08:41 AM

24 hours is not advanced notice, a few days can't even be considered advanced notice. 24 hours (if we even got that) would be considered short notice.

Reasons for

They have never stuck to any proper goals before, why start now?

This is a real problem? If the update had been delayed till next month how would they have worked this one out?

Looking at it from their side, knowing that the ship will be run on skeleton crew from a certain date, they should have moved the deadline forward to last week in case there is any major problems that require real dev time to fix.

4. If we wait till Monday, game could be down over the Holiday due to low staff.

No, they could just roll back like they have done before.

Reasons against

Soonish is really professional and puts out a great public image as an official statement.

Not surprised of the release of unfinished content in the slightest, it’s what I have come to expect. I just expected at least one day/nights worth of notice to prepare.

It’s really just a joke to mock people about, till it happens to you.
"Oh shame the bank decided to close early and now you can’t deposit your pay cheque."
There is so many examples where what you are saying is invalid. If you plan for something, its a disappointment for those plans to be thwarted, no matter what the something was. Even more so if it’s something that you should have been informed appropriately about.

Nyata
12-17-2015, 08:41 AM

all I want to say to this is... if a boyfriend told me 'hun, I cannot have dinner with you because i have to play ddo' I would be single that instance.

raeslys
12-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Is this a joke? This package was not well finished, and every1 complaiing about the 1-shoot kill. This is clear case of botch planning, the poeple want more challeger, which it is the more easy but worst way to solve it? A lot of mob, mob everywhere...this is no sorry, which is other easy way and amost worst way like one? That the mobs will make an absurdly high damage. Conclusion, nobody like it (except for four jer.. without no social life to be like cool to a group of strangers) what do it turbine, ¿Delay the update until you are more mature?, NOOO They release the update OMG.

I like DDO, and I would like it to last another 10 years, but ye are not getting any easier.

Paladin20
12-17-2015, 08:42 AM
I was fortunate enough that I had some sagas farmed out and with a potion was able to cover the 1M XP I had left, but I am with the majority of the folks here...

24 Hour notice AT LEAST!

Yes, there were plenty of vague "sometime in December" clues and references in dev posts and player news resources all over, and it shouldn't come as a surprise that the release would happen just in time for the holidays, but this is just an awful way to handle things for such a major update. I feel really bad and sorry for the folks who weren't as fortunate as I was.

kned225
12-17-2015, 08:45 AM
"later this week" to "after the holidays", so it didn't really reveal much..

I dunno, this woulda been enough for me to make sure all my ducks were in a row before yesterday

Or, in your case, made me reconsider booking a day off

raeslys
12-17-2015, 08:46 AM
And I forget, what happened with all player in lv 28 that want do it a TR before new Update with the LV 30 cap. Is anyone in Turbine has thought of that? I can not believe. Is it so hard to tell it with enough time?

kned225
12-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Yes, there were plenty of vague "sometime in December" clues and references in dev posts and player news resources all over, and it shouldn't come as a surprise that the release would happen just in time for the holidays,

Exactly +1

DefecTalisman
12-17-2015, 08:50 AM
No they're not. :)

At most, they were amused by your... overreaction? Hmmm... oh, your "butthurt". That's right.

Because my reaction is not positive doesn't deem it an overreaction. This would be the straw that broke the camel’s back for me, so many things over the last four years. This just points it out plain and clear that us, the customers, do not feature in their planes.
It’s sad that Turbine needs its players to answer disgruntled customers for them.

Lithalan
12-17-2015, 09:08 AM
And I forget, what happened with all player in lv 28 that want do it a TR before new Update with the LV 30 cap. Is anyone in Turbine has thought of that? I can not believe. Is it so hard to tell it with enough time?

Wow. You know, they addressed this back on Nov. 17. Varg said "Reincarnation Flagging: According to our tests, if you flag for Reincarnation before Update 29 (make it so Character Select shows the big REINCARNATE button), you will be able to reincarnate after Update 29 without any further changes. You won't have to gain additional XP or levels, etc." https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/467833-Update-29-Level-30-Overview#post5724801

If you didn't flag your level 28s for TR in the month that you had, that's your own fault, not Turbine's.

As for overall notice, on Nov. 5 they stated U29 would be at the end of the year. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/467475-Can-we-get-an-(earlier)-heads-up-on-when-U29-is-going-to-hit#post5719205

The update goes on Lamannia on Nov. 19. That should have been everyone's first clue to start preparing seriously if they hadn't started already. On Dec. 1, they say again that the update should be out by the end of the year. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468255-When-is-the-Roll-out-Date-for-Update-29#post5732293

Lamannia goes through 4(!) updates. You know, by the fourth, maybe people would be thinking "Wow! This is happening soon!!" Then on Dec. 14, they say it is possible the update will occur later this week, and that a week's notice will not be possible. If that didn't light a fire under everyone who had not yet got off their butts and finished their prep for U29, nothing would. How much clearer a signal do you need? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468795-When-is-the-official-release-date-of-u29#post5740327

But that's not all! Yesterday, Dec. 16, they note the power went out (which presumably caused a bit of a mess on their daily schedule) and they are meeting that evening to decide when the update will go live. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468795-When-is-the-official-release-date-of-u29/page2#post5741801

That night, they post that the update will happen tomorrow. You all had plenty of notice. If you weren't ready after all the posts, hints, discussions, and statements, you have no one to blame but the person in the mirror. Just because you chose to ignore what Turbine said to you because they didn't post the update in the exact words and manner that you think it should be posted does not mean they failed to give us all very fair advance warning. Good customer service is impossible if the customers completely ignore what the company is saying.

Enjoy the update. I know I will. :)

Sunnie
12-17-2015, 09:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMSHvgaUWc8

ssternlight
12-17-2015, 09:28 AM
Wow. You know, they addressed this back on Nov. 17. Varg said "Reincarnation Flagging: According to our tests, if you flag for Reincarnation before Update 29 (make it so Character Select shows the big REINCARNATE button), you will be able to reincarnate after Update 29 without any further changes. You won't have to gain additional XP or levels, etc." https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/467833-Update-29-Level-30-Overview#post5724801

If you didn't flag your level 28s for TR in the month that you had, that's your own fault, not Turbine's.

As for overall notice, on Nov. 5 they stated U29 would be at the end of the year. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/467475-Can-we-get-an-(earlier)-heads-up-on-when-U29-is-going-to-hit#post5719205

The update goes on Lamannia on Nov. 19. That should have been everyone's first clue to start preparing seriously if they hadn't started already. On Dec. 1, they say again that the update should be out by the end of the year. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468255-When-is-the-Roll-out-Date-for-Update-29#post5732293

Lamannia goes through 4(!) updates. You know, by the fourth, maybe people would be thinking "Wow! This is happening soon!!" Then on Dec. 14, they say it is possible the update will occur later this week, and that a week's notice will not be possible. If that didn't light a fire under everyone who had not yet got off their butts and finished their prep for U29, nothing would. How much clearer a signal do you need? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468795-When-is-the-official-release-date-of-u29#post5740327

But that's not all! Yesterday, Dec. 16, they note the power went out (which presumably caused a bit of a mess on their daily schedule) and they are meeting that evening to decide when the update will go live. https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468795-When-is-the-official-release-date-of-u29/page2#post5741801

That night, they post that the update will happen tomorrow. You all had plenty of notice. If you weren't ready after all the posts, hints, discussions, and statements, you have no one to blame but the person in the mirror. Just because you chose to ignore what Turbine said to you because they didn't post the update in the exact words and manner that you think it should be posted does not mean they failed to give us all very fair advance warning. Good customer service is impossible if the customers completely ignore what the company is saying.

Quite looking forward to it as well. :)

ned_ellis
12-17-2015, 09:31 AM
all I want to say to this is... if a boyfriend told me 'hun, I cannot have dinner with you because i have to play ddo' I would be single that instance.

Lol-youre right that reads badly! I meant : wife says I'm going out with the gals, do u prefer thursday o friday night?

Talon_Dragonsbane
12-17-2015, 09:32 AM
I hope they fixed that TR bug that was in Lammania. I would be greatly annoyed if I ETR today and find that I'm stuck in on the TR bridge.

FifthTime
12-17-2015, 09:39 AM
The Ghostbane of Christmas past is about to visit DDO this year.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing all of the broken things that result from this update.

Tahkhesis
12-17-2015, 09:40 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I think this whole thread is a Christmas miracle. It perfectly encapsulates all my favorite butthurt sentiments: "the devs are inept", "I'm canceling my subscription because of blank", "here's this forum link...oh yeah well here's THIS forum link", "I didn't even know this was happening! Now my OP toons are useless--until I use 20 raid timers".

I'm super stoked I read this.

As for update 29...meh. I never play the beta so I have no valid opinion, but it does sound equal parts interesting, kinda awesome, and bats**t crazy (+7 stat and +14 insight? Guys. Guys. How does this fix the power creep? What in the actual f**k?)

But who knows? I don't. But thanks regardless for the great read. When in doubt, read the forums about an update if you need to make the yule time bright.

Ghlitch
12-17-2015, 10:00 AM
they deserve it, after the update launches properly. :cool:

Ah, so then they won't be seeing it until next week after all the hotfixes have been applied. ;)

Saekee
12-17-2015, 10:06 AM
well, the devs could have said a few days ago that they were aiming for today AND/OR that the update would come with little advanced warning. That would have covered them. Not hard to do for customer service.

We should note in their defense that the buddy bonus followed by the epic xp boost weekends were an invitation and aid for folks to grind out ER(s).

I did one epic reincarnation grind in that period on my main and felt vaguely sick afterward. I don't get how people do it multiple times.

Astarii
12-17-2015, 10:07 AM
So the next question will be when the notes are up. :P

CaptainPurge
12-17-2015, 10:23 AM

That isn't enough apparently. It is truly remarkable.

Treok
12-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Damn. So much for even 24 hours notice..

So much for a TR before the patch. The best way to lose players is to do a **** job of communicating PLANNED downtime. I guess the planning happened last night. Now that you have upset players for the lack of communication of the patch, you will really make them happy trying to stabilize it with unplanned outages over the next few days because of poor testing and deployment procedures. I can't remember the last time a patch went in successfully inside the window. At Turbine we don't always test, but when we do, we do it in production. Next time, communicate. People have a choice in the games they play. Upsetting players only gets them to play something else.

Treok
12-17-2015, 10:35 AM
That isn't enough apparently. It is truly remarkable.

Good response, but we shouldn't have to guess when a patch is coming. Other vendors do a much better job of communicating this. Its just a case of professionalism. Sure, I could have set my reincarnate flag before yesterday. Terms like the patch will be out before end of year are pretty vague. I'll enjoy the patch, but Turbine should do a better job communicating. That's what has people upset.

Lithalan
12-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Good response, but we shouldn't have to guess when a patch is coming. Other vendors do a much better job of communicating this. Its just a case of professionalism. Sure, I could have set my reincarnate flag before yesterday. Terms like the patch will be out before end of year are pretty vague. I'll enjoy the patch, but Turbine should do a better job communicating. That's what has people upset.

Read my whole post above. Honestly, it wasn't just terms like "the patch will be out by the end of the year." You were warned Monday it could be by the end of this week. Turbine communicated repeatedly, and they had to deal with a power outage yesterday too. Once they made the decision, they posted it. If you didn't set your reincarnation flag, that is definitely not Turbine's fault.

ccd1977
12-17-2015, 10:43 AM
Is this a joke? This package was not well finished, and every1 complaiing about the 1-shoot kill. This is clear case of botch planning, the poeple want more challeger, which it is the more easy but worst way to solve it? A lot of mob, mob everywhere...this is no sorry, which is other easy way and amost worst way like one? That the mobs will make an absurdly high damage. Conclusion, nobody like it (except for four jer.. without no social life to be like cool to a group of strangers) what do it turbine, ¿Delay the update until you are more mature?, NOOO They release the update OMG.

I like DDO, and I would like it to last another 10 years, but ye are not getting any easier.

????

Astarii
12-17-2015, 10:46 AM

Well, think positive, your not in my situation that I did out of haste. One toon a lvl 28, I set the Heroic TR flag (non-iconic). Yea... I'm feeling sheepish on that one. Another was 200k short. and one that was sitting on 28 was short on the karma.

but, yes these where all last minute. In trueth, if I would have thought better about it, and got flags set during the weekend (knowing that they where testing) on alts I don't play much, I would have saved myself a little trouble.

I can just sit back, and laugh at my mistakes and shake my head like a noob & just enjoy a little extra now. (wich I really don't mind);

-Now, what i'm really wanting is overpowered LGS, so that when the "Torment" difficulty comes out, I can be set. but, from the sounds of it, i'll be a little disappointed in the legendary Greensteel.

In the end, we will just have to wait and see.

JP457
12-17-2015, 10:48 AM
1 day notice on a major update? Uncool.

Would it really have been so hard to plan ahead more than 24 hours? No wonder people are so down on Turbine's lack of professionalism.

Nuclear_Elvis
12-17-2015, 10:51 AM
This thread was posted to determine who is overly addicted to DDO (yawns and finds something else to do for the day...).

Mercantile_Joe
12-17-2015, 10:55 AM
All I have to say is that I hope that after every code change over the past two weeks the QA team did nothing but test all of the "old" exploits to make sure they haven't inadvertently released the Kraken. After all the things done to "fix duping" in this update, a last minute code change that enables one of the old bugs is unfortunately just about par for the course.

I anticipate seeing multiple examples of T3 LGS on live servers posted sometime in the very near future. I hope I'm wrong.

Lagin
wow, much love we have. Road rage on the internet.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm299/chefricochet/DDO/cw_globe1b2.jpg

Lence
Meh, not DOOOOOM, but now I am stuck locked in going to 30 before I can escape, kinda sucks. MOAR orphaned xp, lol.

Although, I do feel bad for any future/new players. New xp tax on new players/new characters kinda sucks for them, its what now...just from this 1 patch, 54 million xp tax just on epic past lives, tack in another 24 million exp for Iconics if they wanted to do everything. 78 million xp is kind of an atrocious penalty for being new.

lothlorien74
12-17-2015, 11:00 AM
Why so short time? Give us several days please to ETR toons. I have several lvl 27 toons, 1 day won't be enough to ETR them.
Cause if it was longer notice it would spoil the surprise!!

TheWalruss
12-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Thank you dev team for doing this now.

This is perfect timing with an amazing update just before the Christmas holidays!

I'm so looking forward to this.

Has anyone seen release notes?

Astarii
12-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Meh, not DOOOOOM, but now I am stuck locked in going to 30 before I can escape, kinda sucks. MOAR orphaned xp, lol.

Although, I do feel bad for any future/new players. New xp tax on new players/new characters kinda sucks for them, its what now...just from this 1 patch, 54 million xp tax just on epic past lives, tack in another 24 million exp for Iconics if they wanted to do everything. 78 million xp is kind of an atrocious penalty for being new.

I totally agree with you. I wish they would look at alternative ways of doing Iconic/Epic TRs with prior XP amounts kept in mind. (perhaps Karam based ect)

I would love to TR some Intelligent weapon as well... But, I guess both of these topics should be in a different thread.

Lithalan
12-17-2015, 11:05 AM
1 day notice on a major update? Uncool.

You're absolutely right. If Turbine had actually given you 1 day notice on a major update, that would have been horribly uncool. Fortunately, they gave plenty of notice! https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468916-Downtime-Notice-11-00-AM-3-00-PM-Eastern-(-5-GMT)-Thursday-December-17th?p=5742357#post5742357

Whew. Bullet dodged.

Astarii
12-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Thank you dev team for doing this now.

This is perfect timing with an amazing update just before the Christmas holidays!

I'm so looking forward to this.

Has anyone seen release notes?

I'm waiting for that, would love to see / read up on it. (surely its done, right?)

RydeaNikkna
12-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Yesterday I saw the downtime notice I was level 26. Some saga turn-ins, many high xp quests later I hit 28. Great I can TR before the patch, off to sleep. I get up early to do the iTR process... selling junk to make room to empty my TR cache... go to the reincarnation grove, start the iTR... then I realized I had 2 heart seeds. Ohnoes! Where am I going to get 40 seeds?

The "the server will go down in 1 hour" announcement hits. Mad Scramble for heart seeds begins!

Turned in 2600 commendations of Valor, and I'm off to the fastest quests I can do, overgrowth, outbreak, impossible demands, rusted blades, 6 seeds short...

Half hour until down time...

I recruit family members, aka get them out of bed tell them to run quests and wait for me at the end. I send them to LoD, and Bargain of Blood, I hit Broken Chains not really fast but really close! and I'm 4 seeds short of my heart. Off to Lords of Dust...

15 minutes until down time...

Its all working to plan, Finish LoD then get to BoB Finish it! on casual! no seeds for me... quick find 1 more quest... Storm the beaches, seems apropos.

10 minutes until downtime.

Send a front runner to the quest while I am gathering Heart Seeds; I get there and I randomly port in and I'm in the sky... The ballista kills my front runner. Splash I'm by the door... Kill Mr. Grim and I'm after the last ballistas... Bam! dead to a ballista... <grumble>

5 minutes to downtime...

AH I have a Cursed Blade of Jack Jibbers... I'm only mostly dead now... Find my front runner, what's so important you gotta live for... to Bliiiiithe... close enough, raise dead, find the last 4 ballistas. Finish the quest. Ole' JJ kills me but good this time. Release, Why am I not on the ship, where am I? oh I'm in the Hall of Heroes, interesting, Scroll Teleport, Turn in for my last two seeds, Yay! /death back to the Reincarnation grove! iTR! Logout, Reincarnate, Class - check (at least for 1st level), Race - Check,

3 minutes to downtime...

Stats - uh oh, um didn't really get that far last night, but sure we'll go with those... <crosses fingers> Akk! appearance... Takes too long... must randomize... no no that hairstyle just won't do... What color is that hair?

2 minutes to down time...

Fine short black hair... click crea... wait check that alignment... there! good to go... click create... watch Korthos load....

1 minute to down time...

Korthos loaded, I have all my ED, fate points, tomes, all is good...

Logout with a big smile! Whew! I made it!

Lithalan
12-17-2015, 11:08 AM
I would love to TR some Intelligent weapon as well... But, I guess both of these topics should be in a different thread.

Different thread, maybe, but I'd love to TR my weapon along with my character.

Grandern_Marn
12-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Holy! People so bent out of shape, haven't you figured out the update procedure yet? They never announce the update time in advance! We have had 4 (four) iterations of Lamannia, most of the time the update is released after 3. After 4 iterations we are well overdue. Patrick on DDOCast pretty much called it with the update timing, he discussed it from 44:30 in DDOCast 409. He even said "chop chop" at 45:20!!

Anyone who is surprised by the timing of update 29 is not listening to enough DDOCast and have unfortunately not been chopping enough chop!

skorpeon
12-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Yesterday I saw the downtime notice I was level 26. Some saga turn-ins, many high xp quests later I hit 28. Great I can TR before the patch, off to sleep. I get up early to do the iTR process... selling junk to make room to empty my TR cache... go to the reincarnation grove, start the iTR... then I realized I had 2 heart seeds. Ohnoes! Where am I going to get 40 seeds?

The "the server will go down in 1 hour" announcement hits. Mad Scramble for heart seeds begins!

Turned in 2600 commendations of Valor, and I'm off to the fastest quests I can do, overgrowth, outbreak, impossible demands, rusted blades, 6 seeds short...

I recruit family members, aka get them out of bed tell them to run quests and wait for me at the end. I send them to LoD, and Bargain of Blood, I hit Broken Chains not really fast but really close! and I'm 4 seeds short of my heart. Off to Lords of Dust...

Its all working to plan, Finish LoD then get to BoB Finish it! on casual! no seeds for me... quick find 1 more quest... Storm the beaches, seems apropos.

Send a front runner to the quest while I am gathering Heart Seeds; I get there and I randomly port in and I'm in the sky... The ballista kills my front runner. Splash I'm by the door... Kill Mr. Grim and I'm after the last ballistas... Bam! dead to a ballista... <grumble>

5 minutes to downtime...

AH I have a Cursed Blade of Jack Jibbers... I'm only mostly dead now... Find my front runner, what's so important you gotta live for... to Bliiiiithe... close enough, raise dead, find the last 4 ballistas. Finish the quest. Ole' JJ kills me but good this time. Release, Why am I not on the ship, where am I? oh I'm in the Hall of Heroes, interesting, Scroll Teleport, Turn in for my last two seeds, Yay! /death back to the Reincarnation grove! iTR! Logout, Reincarnate, Class - check (at least for 1st level), Race - Check,

3 minutes to downtime...

Stats - uh oh, um didn't really get that far last night, but sure we'll go with those... <crosses fingers> Akk! appearance... Takes too long... must randomize... no no that hairstyle just won't do... What color is that hair?

Fine short black hair... click crea... wait check that alignment... there! good to go... click create... watch Korthos load....

1 minute to down time...

nice read, I am impressed.

Now I will just wait with my character primed for reincarnate. lets hope that works as I don't want to rush my new character. Creating the new look and character has always been the best thing about DDO and D&D.

Fingers crossed that it will be ok, I am sure it will, hmm reassurance... exciting. Well I am excited about seeing something amazing in random loot also, life is like a box of chocolates!

Skeptisaurus
12-17-2015, 11:16 AM
Meh - we all knew it was coming any day, so I got all my ETR-ing done except for my main, which I did this AM once I saw the notice.

Looking forward to the new content and levels!

Nyata
12-17-2015, 11:21 AM

soooo awesome. love that marathon tale :D

though... ya know... you could have done the appearance and stats after the update... at least probably. as long as the reincarnate symbol hit the character select screen... feel a bit like a spoil sport for saying that now...

I so had to laugh reading your post :D just great - would have loved to have been there ;D

minorpenthes
12-17-2015, 11:23 AM
This thread was posted to determine who is overly addicted to DDO (yawns and finds something else to do for the day...).

Who, me!?! No way, man!!! I can quit anytime I want!!!

*twitches nervously and repeatedly*

bracelet
12-17-2015, 11:28 AM

5 minutes to downtime...

3 minutes to downtime...

1 minute to down time...

Just to take a small step back here... had you done those exact same runs *after* the update, you would have made it to 30 anyway, or very near. I suppose the one minor difference is that you would not have collected the seeds. All in all, it was a fairly small win :-)

I found out last night, after I had logged off, that the server was going down this morning. I gave it some thought and decided I actually didn't care to log in and ER the one toon I had been considering. Seriously 1.8 million XP is just not that big a deal.

Not to belittle your effort however. That was a great story.

Emers-Lochingvyrr
12-17-2015, 11:29 AM

5 minutes to downtime...

3 minutes to downtime...

1 minute to down time...

So I can go back to sleep now right? I just finished my finals yesterday.... zzzzzzz

bls904c2
12-17-2015, 11:29 AM
wow forums are funny. there really is no satisfying the general public.

Sad thing is I read these posts and it reminds me of my kids whining about how their bike is blue, and that they really wanted a red one. or they got a kindle fire and they really wanted the one with the apple on it. (yet he does not know the name of the apple tablet or what the differences are between the tablets, he is 6 and advertising has told him the apple is better) i went cheaper because i know it will be broken long before 6 months.

I am glad that this game is still getting updates. i'm glad that the servers are still on. i'm glad that we have special events that we can do. im glad i can still log on and still see noobs being killed by kolbolds. (kolbold still hate you, kolbold remember water works)

I had a great run on Saturday, 2.5 hours to run all 4 parts of Waterworks with with 2 noobs. ran behind them with my completionist watching them search everything and read all the dialog in the quests. picking up their soul stones and taking them to the shrine. they were experiencing it for the first time with awe.

by contrast I believe by this Friday night we will be having people complete the 3rd teir legendary Green Steel item because they will be running their toons on timers and on other alts just to get all required material as quickly as possible. some will zerg it because they played it on lama and the raid and quests are not new to them. they are just chasing the new shinny.

that is 2 types of play styles right there that can be found DDO. there are also stealth players, xp min farmers, reward farmers, storyline players, perma death players.

The devs are just trying to place new updates to please the average player.

with the community giving all kinds negative comments and feedback of what they feel is needed to change the game to their style of game play. It is no wonder why so little is announced and really talked about.

I for one is pleased and welcome the new update before Christmas.

Atryagain, atrytryagain, atrynormal and 10 other alts on Cannith

HurtyouBad
12-17-2015, 11:30 AM

their is NO one fact still stands here , period....a paying Customer or not isn't even the issue at all and your greatest {most hilarious statement} "This is not how a Service level Company should operate and shows total disregard for the Customer base" really?? um , I'm not sure where on the this Planet you reside at but please pay-attention to this....name 1 of your Service providers you have that : 1. asks for feedback about upcoming change 2. will respond to Customers statements in said Providers forums 3. ANY of your Providers even have a Forum 4. have a TEST site where you can dabble around with said upcoming Changes/Additions

p.s. and the butt-hurt fan-boy quote was so obviously said in front of your mirror that at least you don't have far to reach into medicine cabinet for some cream

Steve_Howe
12-17-2015, 11:37 AM
STILL no Release Notes, huh?

How typical.

Lence
12-17-2015, 11:38 AM
I totally agree with you. I wish they would look at alternative ways of doing Iconic/Epic TRs with prior XP amounts kept in mind. (perhaps Karam based ect)

Good point, guess I should drop that in the suggestions. Thanks.

Krelar
12-17-2015, 11:44 AM
STILL no Release Notes, huh?

How typical.

It is pretty normal, the release notes usually seem to show up somewhere in the last half of the downtime and this downtime started later than usual.

warryofjerry
12-17-2015, 11:47 AM
It is pretty normal, the release notes usually seem to show up somewhere in the last half of the downtime and this downtime started later than usual.

That is because Turbine has no clue what is being released. After Patch goes lives, it is up to us the community to post all the errors and have Turbine update their notes......sad.

minorpenthes
12-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Any information on how the update is coming along? Maybe an ETA, be it ever so roughly approximate...

CaptainPurge
12-17-2015, 11:50 AM
150 replies and no speculation as to how long the downtime will be extended? Feeling let down.

Krelar
12-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Any information on how the update is coming along? Maybe an ETA, be it ever so roughly approximate...

The ETA is in the first post. ;)

We're not likely to get an update until either Corodvan posts that the worlds or up, or somewhere between 2:30 and 3:30, he posts that the downtime has been extended.

Cams
12-17-2015, 11:54 AM
I guess all you ppl griping to the notice just started playing ddo.... its been this way since beta...

RydeaNikkna
12-17-2015, 11:58 AM
soooo awesome. love that marathon tale :D

though... ya know... you could have done the appearance and stats after the update... at least probably. as long as the reincarnate symbol hit the character select screen... feel a bit like a spoil sport for saying that now...

I so had to laugh reading your post :D just great - would have loved to have been there ;D

... If you had been there I woulda had you running more quests for me :p And yes I saw the reassurance that the Big Red Button meant I would be able to after the update... and I'm SURE it would work... :o but I have seen many people have lots of issues with the current re-incarnation system... so better level 1 and safe than sorry somewhere in limbo.

Just to take a small step back here... had you done those exact same runs *after* the update, you would have made it to 30 anyway, or very near. I suppose the one minor difference is that you would not have collected the seeds. All in all, it was a fairly small win :-)

I found out last night, after I had logged off, that the server was going down this morning. I gave it some thought and decided I actually didn't care to log in and ER the one toon I had been considering. Seriously 1.8 million XP is just not that big a deal.

Not to belittle your effort however. That was a great story.

It was a fairly small win, but I'll take it! Still tastes sweet! This life I did realize how quickly you can get 1.8m XP. But dagnabbit if I just didn't want to start my quest to 30 from 1 this time. I have this life and 1 more for completionist, I want to enjoy all the content from the beginning.

So I can go back to sleep now right? I just finished my finals yesterday.... zzzzzzz

Yes you may, Thank you for your help! <cough>ballista-fodder</cough>

Thrudh
12-17-2015, 12:05 PM

I had one guy sitting at 28, and was thinking about ERing him before the update...

Then I thought about it, and decided it really doesn't matter... I'd have a lot more fun running the new content with him, and filling up some other karma bubbles on my way to 30.

I'd rather spend the next week going from 28-30 than 20-26.

Besides, I might need another body to run Legendary Shroud a few times... :)

Thrudh
12-17-2015, 12:08 PM
3 minutes to downtime...

1 minute to down time...

You're insane. I never would have risked TRing like that. Who knows what would happen if the servers came down right while you are in the middle of the TR process?

knobaroo
12-17-2015, 12:10 PM
I was going to write a sarcastic comment but I'm just too disheartened to bother; I will simply remind you that you have clients in various time zones who actually try and cram in gametime within rl commitments that need, what's that magic word, planning?!? Huh, would you look at that, my original plan brought sarcasm to the table anyway...
Please try and keep same day announcements for extraordinary / unavoidable circumstances in the future?!

I was going to write a sarcastic comment as a reply..... but Santa is watching.
Yes planning is an excellent plan.
Happy gaming .

Loromir
12-17-2015, 12:12 PM
SO where are the release notes?

Hawkwier
12-17-2015, 12:19 PM

To be clear, the first "notice" I had of this was when I tried to log into the game about 30 minutes ago.

I'm not bleating about what it means for any given toon, and I'll just get on with it anyway, whatever, but I do want to register that, in principle, I find this unacceptable.

What is the difficulty in letting us know on Monday about this update, or why not delay it until after Christmas, if notice was an issue?

As I say, this has resulted in my not knowing until I tried to log in - I'm sure i am not alone in that, and it is a poor way to treat your cusotmers.

It's a real pity too, as the levels of interaction with the devs has been improving, IMO.

i think Turbine have let themselves down on this. And it was so avoidable.

So, anyway, we move on - Release notes, please?

Gleep_Wurp
12-17-2015, 12:21 PM
and let us all pray to juiblex the faceless lord.

may our hopes not all be tossed into the pit.
may the update be on time and whole.
may the online store work and have another point sale.
hallowed are the 50% xp pots and epic otto boxes.

Raiyum-de, Raiyum-de, Raiyum-de.

may we all cap quickly and have fun along the way.
may the rumurs be false.
may Hox be doable in a pug.

Raiyum-de, Raiyum-de, Raiyum-de.

if this post offends you, cool, Merry Christmas.

cdbd3rd
12-17-2015, 12:23 PM
You're insane. ...

http://www.justshortofcrazy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/396639_2820300419871_1029727765_32908529_123860519 6_n.jpg

TrinityTurtle
12-17-2015, 12:27 PM

We may not have known the exact date, but let's be real, we all knew it was coming. It's been on lammania. There have been threads all over the forums about the raids, the loot, the feats, the loot table changes. The devs have repeatedly said it would be sometime this month. Players have been talking about it all over the live games. We had warning the changes were coming, and what they were going to be. Players all over have been making the choice to tr and not be top level ready to raid the minute it comes out or holding to be ready for weeks now.

And I'd like to see you get any other service-based industry to ask your opinion in advance and change their plans based on your feedback before they change the terms of service/pricing, such as your phone, cable, internet, hair dressers, doctors, etc. etc. There is no disregard for the customer base here, only a company trying to give us more content and value for the game some of us pay as they are able to do it.

arkonas
12-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Meh - we all knew it was coming any day, so I got all my ETR-ing done except for my main, which I did this AM once I saw the notice.

Looking forward to the new content and levels!

this. people have been told over and over and over. they keep asking. when is it coming. soon. soon. near end of the year. why do they act like this is a shock. i don't get people sometimes. its not our fault some just took their sweet time. there was plenty of notice of when it could appear. someone even asked the question and cordovan said depending on what happened within 48 hrs it could happen this week or next. see if i saw something like that would tell me to prepare.

this

Quote Originally Posted by Vorthian View Post
Is it possible the update will occur this week? If not, I and others may may better plan our time.
Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by btolson View Post
Can you try to give us at least one full week's advance notice?
This is not possible given the above comment.

Yes.

This is not possible given the above comment. :)

The exact date depends on various factors over the next 48 hours that haven't happened yet, but we do plan to officially announce it as soon as we are able. The general time frame is as early as later this week to (perhaps, if necessary) after the holidays.

this answer right here and i showed the questions he answered is enough to tell you that when those were posted it told you either hurry up and that the update could be later in the week to after the holidays. that is plenty of time imo.

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Release Notes should be up shortly. We do apologize for the late announcement on the Release Date; the things necessary to release before the end of the year came together more last-minute than we would have preferred, necessitating us to make the announcement when we did.

The downtime remains on schedule. We'll keep you updated.

Livmo
12-17-2015, 12:48 PM
DDO Forums style : ) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r22fKojGtpM

ned_ellis
12-17-2015, 12:52 PM
I was going to write a sarcastic comment as a reply..... but Santa is watching.
Yes planning is an excellent plan.
Happy gaming .

Lol-your restraint will earn you plentiful gifts then! ;)
Happy gaming to you and all...

Epicstorms
12-17-2015, 12:53 PM
this. people have been told over and over and over. they keep asking. when is it coming. soon. soon. near end of the year. why do they act like this is a shock. i don't get people sometimes. its not our fault some just took their sweet time. there was plenty of notice of when it could appear. someone even asked the question and cordovan said depending on what happened within 48 hrs it could happen this week or next. see if i saw something like that would tell me to prepare.

Yes we all knew it was in december. Yes we knew it was coming soon. Yes we knew ...
Doesn't mean that an announcement 12 hours in advance is nice though.
Some people might have taken a day off to finish something in-game or just ... play?

Release Notes should be up shortly. We do apologize for the late announcement on the Release Date; the things necessary to release before the end of the year came together more last-minute than we would have preferred, necessitating us to make the announcement when we did.

Thanks for the update. :)

Eryhn
12-17-2015, 12:56 PM

http://45.media.tumblr.com/b28e6232c55a28e4e84921932684b717/tumblr_ms71emkOcp1qduh7lo1_500.gif

woot, patient still alive ?!?!?!

Thrudh
12-17-2015, 12:57 PM
And I'd like to see you get any other service-based industry to ask your opinion in advance and change their plans based on your feedback before they change the terms of service/pricing, such as your phone, cable, internet, hair dressers, doctors, etc. etc. There is no disregard for the customer base here, only a company trying to give us more content and value for the game some of us pay as they are able to do it.

Xbox and my cable company push out updates all the time without telling me in advance.

Sat down to play xbox the other day, and I had to update it first.

At no time did it cross my mind to rant and rave and cancel my subscription to xbox live. But that's just me.

die
yea.. I get to run 13 toons through the Shroud again... LAME.. LAZY.. CHEAP .. WEAK .. DOOOOM

Stonemerge
I TR'd my main a few days ago into Life 24. So this unprofessional short downtime announcement does not strike me.

But i'm not going to play DDO this weekend - never play on patch day - do not even log in - better do not play on patch week
I can live with that.

I dont care for the new stuff - i dont want to get oneshot-killed from mobs.

I don't care for Epic GS - that items will be obsolete in 2 months as always.

But i care for the grind extension. Life 24 will be my last life. triple heroic/epic/iconic was my goal. not anymore. 2 mio xp more for one life might be okay - thats the work of one week, but doing this for all the lifes that would come - no thx.
This is the first time in all those years i am seriously considering to quit. I see no reason to TR anymore - there is no way i would ever reach that triple-all-title.
Good luck new players, casuals, returners, working people and family men - I doubt you will be able to play legendary difficulty with your 2nd or 3rd life toons - so better count your money and pay for the xp pots and epic stones.

caleneth
12-17-2015, 12:58 PM

txs for the update.

Eryhn
12-17-2015, 01:00 PM
Xbox and my cable company push out updates all the time without telling me in advance.

At no time did it cross my mind to rant and rave and cancel my subscription to xbox live. But that's just me.

thats cause your x-box update dont break your save games on 2 out of 3 updates https://theunleashedreviewboard.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/homer-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Sunnie
12-17-2015, 01:01 PM

Looking forward to seeing the contents of Turbine's newest baby.

http://i.imgur.com/WebKaQL.jpg

TrinityTurtle
12-17-2015, 01:01 PM

You and me both Thrudh. :)

I'm also using the downtime to catch up on the forums and finish Christmas shopping. Omg I love online shopping, and being wrapped in my warm blanket with a hot chocolate instead of being shoved around by really angry people. LOL I had originally planned to play after work today, but I'm flexible and have other options for my time. :)

Livmo
12-17-2015, 01:04 PM
You and me both Thrudh. :)

I'm also using the downtime to catch up on the forums and finish Christmas shopping. Omg I love online shopping, and being wrapped in my warm blanket with a hot chocolate instead of being shoved around by really angry people. LOL I had originally planned to play after work today, but I'm flexible and have other options for my time. :)

I would buy one if they had them for sale. At least a t-shirt would be nice. Minitures would be even better!

Any DDO merchandise? A coffee mug for work?

Sadly I would probably be the only one buying. Seems to be more doombois and grrls than fanbois and grrls right now.

I bet folks would spend the $ on trophy cases/stamps books for raid loot storage :D

Eryhn
12-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Looking forward to seeing the contents of Turbine's newest baby.

http://i.imgur.com/WebKaQL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZMtzX69.jpg

Sadly I would probably be the only one buying. Seems to be more doombois and grrls than fanbois and grrls right now.

I could in theory warm up to a Bugfix.SoonTM mug http://i.imgur.com/9G253We.gif

Brandall
12-17-2015, 01:13 PM

I hit 28 Tuesday night at 8pm, cleared my TR cache to ETR then TR only to find out I was on ETR timer and could not ETR for 1 day 17 hours(had lined up sagas and slayers on previous EPL)....which brings ETR time to 1 pm EST. Now my toon is way away from ETRing and my inventory is full from clearing out my cache. Awesome. Thanks.

minorpenthes
12-17-2015, 01:14 PM

Sweet, thank you.

I have to head off and play a gig soon, so I will not get to rush right into it when the update is finished, but by the time I get back, I imagine that it will be up and running, and that I will be "ready" ;)

MysticRhythms
12-17-2015, 01:18 PM
To put this in perspective, even though I signed up in 2006, I still consider myself a "newer" player. I took a long hiatus, leaving sometime shortly after the release of Module 8 (yes, that's Module 8 and not UPDATE 8) and coming back jsut before update ... 24. I'm still learning a lot and am even happy to be considered an average player.

I started playing my latest character (a pure Ranger) on November 19th - right before the Thanksgiving holidays and shortly after the Ranger class pass. I knew that update 29 was coming and that the mechanism for ETRing would be changing. At that point, I had not done an eTR on any of my characters. I had a capped Warforged fighter and I had just TR-ed a heroic bard into a mechanic build who was sitting on level 12 at the time. I also had this wholly undergeared level 19 Human cleric that I LR-ed into my new Ranger.

I started my plan that Thanksgiving weekend. I would decide if I liked the new Ranger mechanics (after spending dseveral hours just reading up on enhancements and other character building tips) I'd keep her and try for maybe one eTR.

I couldn't afford the Otto's boxes which would have been helpful, so I planned carefully. I'd level her up to 28, getting some decent gear along the way and hopefully abuse the two raider boxes that had been sitting in my account on her since forever ago.

By the end of Thanksgiving weekend, I had her up to 28 with enough karma and heart seeds to eTR her . Along the way, I finished all 7 Epic sagas, 5 of them on True Elite (I have an awesome guild). I planned on using all that banked XP and one sovereign XP potion I had managed to roll up during daily rolls many weeks ago to see if I could get her to a respectable level to eTR again.

I planned - getting my slayers up in Gianthold, Orchard and Thunderholme (again, I have an awesome guild). I got my slayers to just 1 kill shy of large XP rewards and I eTR-ed her a second time just last night and had enough XP from the slayers to get her to 24 before today's update.

Would I have liked a third eTR? Sure. But I did my planning well enough in advance and I'm not even a veteran player.

Would I like more time to take advantage of eTRing at 28? Sure. Am I salty? No. I knew back in November what was coming and I played the heck out of my character. I had her in a position to stay at 28 and use those slayers to get me to 30 faster or eTR her the second time. It was nice that I had the option even with the "short notice" from the Devs about the update but I was only in that position because I worked to get myself there.

TL;DR: I prepared for this update back in November and I'm a pretty casual player.

relenttless
12-17-2015, 01:20 PM
I TR'd my main a few days ago into Life 24. So this unprofessional short downtime announcement does not strike me.

But i'm not going to play DDO this weekend - never play on patch day - do not even log in - better do not play on patch week
I can live with that.

I dont care for the new stuff - i dont want to get oneshot-killed from mobs.

I don't care for Epic GS - that items will be obsolete in 2 months as always.

But i care for the grind extension. Life 24 will be my last life. triple heroic/epic/iconic was my goal. not anymore. 2 mio xp more for one life might be okay - thats the work of one week, but doing this for all the lifes that would come - no thx.
This is the first time in all those years i am seriously considering to quit. I see no reason to TR anymore - there is no way i would ever reach that triple-all-title.
Good luck new players, casuals, returners, working people and family men - I doubt you will be able to play legendary difficulty with your 2nd or 3rd life toons - so better count your money and pay for the xp pots and epic stones.

Its not like there is a shortage of jaded vets on these forums, but you really are in the top tier, ... Quite the Ray of sunshine...
Its all down to the release notes.....
The proof will be in the procs.......

Gleep_Wurp
12-17-2015, 01:22 PM
i like to know whats what before login. i read the lama ones already.

Silverleafeon
12-17-2015, 01:30 PM
i like to know whats what before login. i read the lama ones already.

https://www.ddo.com/en/U29

biglou
12-17-2015, 01:33 PM
Every update get three or four or a dozen "paying" people to complain that the thing you are paying for is being upgraded. Why not take the time to call your car dealership and them them you are a paying customer and you want to know when they plan on updating your v6 to a v8 after all you have been paying for it for years it's do an update isn't it.

Timing might have been short but they want to get it live see if it needs a hot fix. And have the hot fix up and running before Christmas so people can play uninterrupted between the two holidays when a large number of people take vacation time.

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 01:34 PM
Release Notes (https://www.ddo.com/en/U29)

TPICKRELL
12-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Haven't seen anything from Cordovan, but the release notes showed up in the normal release notes page a few minutes ago:

(https://www.ddo.com/en/U29)Ninjaed by Silverleafon. Cordovan, if you see this, is there a typo in Master of Light? It says it grants 40 spell points, and everything else seems to grant 140.

Ykt
12-17-2015, 01:36 PM

Your xbox takes 8 hours to update?

I thought no one had beep beep 56.6kbps modems anymore.

LrdSlvrhnd
12-17-2015, 01:37 PM
Haven't seen anything from Cordovan, but the release notes showed up in the normal release notes page a few minutes ago:

Ninja'd by a dev!

Gleep_Wurp
12-17-2015, 01:38 PM

(https://www.ddo.com/en/U29)Ninjaed by Silverleafon. Cordovan, if you see this, is there a typo in Master of Light? It says it grants 40 spell points, and everything else seems to grant 140.

thanks

Sunglaze
12-17-2015, 01:39 PM
There is more to life than DDO. Go read a book, take a walk, hang out with a friend, or my favorite work on Holiday baking. Chocolate Peppermint Truffles is what I'm working on while waiting for the new update to be finished.

InsanityIsYourFriend
12-17-2015, 01:45 PM
There is more to life than DDO. Go read a book, take a walk, hang out with a friend, or my favorite work on Holiday baking. Chocolate Peppermint Truffles is what I'm working on while waiting for the new update to be finished.
or watch your favorite game begin updating in joy!

Nyata
12-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Chocolate Peppermint Truffles is what I'm working on while waiting for the new update to be finished.

Could i get a share, please? :)

Nédime
12-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Every update get three or four or a dozen "paying" people to complain that the thing you are paying for is being upgraded. Why not take the time to call your car dealership and them them you are a paying customer and you want to know when they plan on updating your v6 to a v8 after all you have been paying for it for years it's do an update isn't it.

Timing might have been short but they want to get it live see if it needs a hot fix. And have the hot fix up and running before Christmas so people can play uninterrupted between the two holidays when a large number of people take vacation time.

Bah ... Car metaphors ...

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 01:46 PM
The game worlds have opened! Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!

Grailhawk
12-17-2015, 01:50 PM

I kind of think it would be better to list the changes to Archmage's Arcane Bolt and Arcane Blast under Enhancements not Epic Destinies, no?

Also and correct me if I'm wrong but I though the Master of X feats only granted +10 caster level not removed it entirely now?

knightgf
12-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Oh my god...

I seriously can't believe you chose to release this, and at a very last-minute time as well. There are three reasons why this is such a major issue:

Greensteel items are still majorly bugged. There are still several augments that cannot be fit into greensteel items. In addition, I believe its still possible to add augments to cosmetic items too. How could you go ahead and release this knowing it's still halfway broken, especially when Greensteel items are the main focus of your update?
The random loot changes are a curvestomp to game balance and named items. Seriously? +15 umd items? This makes going for named items like Flameward and The Big Top not worth it at all if you plan on getting named items for UMD. Largely inflated stat items that can combine two types of bonuses for one stat? That pretty much kills a variety of raid loot that's hard to get with smaller but powerful bonuses not seen in random loot. I'll give you credit though, you sure know how to destroy good loot, remember update 17? Remember when Mournlands was around and that they fought tooth over nail trying to limit the damage you did with update 17? Well it seems you've learned plenty from them on how to fight poor loot changes.
The fact that your rushing this update out at the last minute leaves you open to bugs not seen on Lamannia. How would you like it if more NPC's gave you a <Stringtableerror:TableDiD error every time you talked to them? How about if the M/S delay on lag increased from 350 to 700? Do you really think that if you rush this update out, a miracle will happen and some of the bugs in this game you didn't intend to fix will be fixed? It never has happened and never will. Granted, bugs not seen on Lamannia can happen even when you plan carefully, but rushing to put this update out at the last moment makes the likelihood and severity of bugs higher.

It's too late to do anything now, I suppose. The update is already hitting the servers. The best we can hope for is either a rollback or a series of hotfixes. I hope your happy with what you've done, Turbine, because it will inevitably turn around and bite you where you don't want it to.

RobbinB
12-17-2015, 01:53 PM
As for update 29...meh. I never play the beta so I have no valid opinion, but it does sound equal parts interesting, kinda awesome, and bats**t crazy (+7 stat and +14 insight? Guys. Guys. How does this fix the power creep? What in the actual f**k?)

Actually, its +14 stat and +7 insight. But the bats**t crazy part is correct.

Silverleafeon
12-17-2015, 01:58 PM
The game worlds have opened! Thank you for your patience, and we will see you in the game!

Well done Scotty, 1 hour and 14 minutes early.

Silverleafeon
12-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Oh, and guild amenities will probably take XY minutes to repopulate as per usual.

Arkai
12-17-2015, 02:03 PM
Crafting Hall rooms seems ERASED from the game D:

Faltout
12-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Well done Scotty, 1 hour and 14 minutes early.
Only 14 minutes early as far as I know. Right now, it's 3:07 PM EST.

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 02:09 PM
The DDO Store is currently unavailable. We will keep you updated.

HuneyMunster
12-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Intimidate has been improved:
Intimidate's cooldown has been reduced to six seconds.
If the initial Intimidate succeeds, the bonus threat is now Skill x 200. For example, a successful check with a 70 Intimidate would set the character's threat to equal the highest threat plus 14,000 damage worth of threat.
The threat boost provided by Intimidate now lasts for 12 seconds.
The threat boost provided by Intimidate for melee attacks was increased from 50% to 200%.
Intimidate now uses a shorter animation.
Intimidate's threat multiplier is 400% for melee, 100% for ranged and magic attacks.
Diplomacy now uses a shorter animation.

Does this also apply to Ki Shout?

Diplomacy now uses a shorter animation.

What about Bluff?

EllisDee37
12-17-2015, 02:14 PM
So let's see:

The store doesn't work
The astral shard exchange doesn't work
The crafting halls are gone

Maybe this update was rushed out a touch early?

Sunnie
12-17-2015, 02:15 PM

The DDO Store is currently unavailable. We will keep you updated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLH8F2xDU90

Arkai
12-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Got a DDOOR and entire client crashed as never seen b4. Gonna check it again.

Edit: Was a isolated bug.

Fedora1
12-17-2015, 02:25 PM
All masterful craftmanship loot is gone - converted to normal. I had a banker full of these items. I also now need new gear for my toons that were wearing masterful items because they move at 10% speed until the unequip.

EllisDee37
12-17-2015, 02:26 PM
All masterful craftmanship loot is gone - converted to normal. I had a banker full of these items. I also now need new gear for my toons that were wearing masterful items because they move at 10% speed until the unequip.Even crafted?

Cleanincubus
12-17-2015, 02:27 PM
So let's see:

The store doesn't work
The astral shard exchange doesn't work
The crafting halls are gone

Maybe this update was rushed out a touch early?

And that's all they've found in the first 10-15 minutes of the Live servers being open.

Also saw someone on an LFG ad on Ghallanda that their Cleric's spell book was wiped, including all Cure spells.

Fedora1
12-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Even crafted?

That I do not know, sorry.

LXP
12-17-2015, 02:28 PM

Thanks to the whole team for the good job. Any chance to get a free lesser heart for everyone, to be able to respec feats, swapping out some of the old ones for new ones?

Cordovan
12-17-2015, 02:37 PM
The DDO Store has reopened.

Eryhn
12-17-2015, 02:37 PM
just roll it back now and come back in january. how much **** has popped up in what, 30mins after live? theres no way you'll get a working game over 2 hotfixes. rollback & repent.

janave
12-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Launcher stuck on "Downloading EN DDO Splash Screen"

This happens every 2nd update by the way, any chance we get a manual method to get these images into the game folders?

Faltout
12-17-2015, 02:48 PM
Doooommm!!!

Except the part where new random loot is unneeded power creep, you can fully expect it to not work with existing mechanics.
Another ghostbane update that further ruins game loot.
So far auction house and crafting halls have been disabled due to new loot. What's next? How about stone of change? Altar of devastation/subjugation in shroud (when deconstructing random loot to charge cells)? This is amusing and sad at the same time...

Sunnie
12-17-2015, 03:02 PM
I have updated the game, logged in, and am playing. This is unacceptable! DooOOOOoooomm!

JP457
12-17-2015, 03:07 PM
You're absolutely right. If Turbine had actually given you 1 day notice on a major update, that would have been horribly uncool. Fortunately, they gave plenty of notice! https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/468916-Downtime-Notice-11-00-AM-3-00-PM-Eastern-(-5-GMT)-Thursday-December-17th?p=5742357#post5742357

Whew. Bullet dodged.

Some of us don't get to play every day. Ever think of that genius? Or is your nose so far up someone's butt that you can't see anything?

GMTrojan
12-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Thieves can no longer find traps, Cordovan...

maddong
12-17-2015, 03:26 PM

Will sales be extended if we are scared to log in and nerf our old items?

Fedora1
12-17-2015, 03:27 PM
I have updated the game, logged in, and am playing. This is unacceptable! DooOOOOoooomm!

Thieves cant find traps, AH and Crafting disabled, old loot gen items messed up, but hey as long as we can play it aint broke, right? lol

Kaliya
12-17-2015, 03:51 PM
All masterful craftmanship loot is gone - converted to normal. I had a banker full of these items. I also now need new gear for my toons that were wearing masterful items because they move at 10% speed until the unequip.

Yep. Logged in with my L6 Rogue, moving slow as molasses. Wondering ***?

Sure enough, ML5 STR+4 ring I was wearing is now ML7.

WilliamBraveheart
12-17-2015, 03:55 PM
Yep. Logged in with my L6 Rogue, moving slow as molasses. Wondering ***?

Sure enough, ML5 STR+4 ring I was wearing is now ML7.

Masterfully crafted belt imbued with flexible Shard nowis just a belt

Sarzor
12-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Can't even update the game. Getting "Server connection timed out."

FifthTime
12-17-2015, 03:56 PM
My Masterfull Cursed False Life +30 bracers that use to be min level 7 are now min level 11. Yippy!

I have a bunch of other stuff in my bank and inventory that doesn't have any attributes on it...just blank.

Good job Turbine, fine work you did there.

Helium4
12-17-2015, 03:57 PM
We did find the traps the classic way. They still don't seem to hurt. But I found it less amazing to see emergency shutdown popping up with 30secs left to kill the boss with dungeon alert. lol

WilliamBraveheart
12-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Shut down the worlds with no in game warning ***???

RevCo
12-17-2015, 04:00 PM
So the worlds get shut down, after what... 1hour + being live with this update. Sorry but if turbine wants to win/keep players on this game... Someone needs to work on quality assurance. Personally I dont care if the update takes longer then usual to be pushed out, not like were missing anything right? But really now, this was rushed, not tested correctly and bang were all dead in the water. Sad... very sad.

Ok I feel better now lol

Merfyn
12-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Can't even update the game. Getting "Server connection timed out."

I apparently connect and start a download - it reaches < 30% and BORK!

Time to go play XCom: Enemy Within

Lithalan
12-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Some of us don't get to play every day. Ever think of that genius? Or is your nose so far up someone's butt that you can't see anything?

Apparently you haven't played since Oct. 27. My profoundest apologies for assuming you'd know anything discussed since that day. I'm going to assume that's the case as opposed to giving you a link to a remedial reading course. :)

Helium4

There was a message. First without timing, shortly after saying 30secs, then 19secs (!?), then we killed boss and game crashed with chat still working. I guess my main is now broken, lvl1 28pts no past lives, no gear... :)

Tahkhesis
OK...I know the worlds are down. I realize some stuff is getting fixed/adjusted whatever...But quick initial thoughts:

Quests: Best quests in 5 years easy. Actual team work needed. Not just "run in hit stuff get money" but actual quests. Cannot be happier.

Loot: I pulled a loot gen ring that was like ML 25 and better than Sightless...This may be a problem, as it kind of makes raids worthless (except for like nostalgia, quest diversity, making it so we don't farm stuff?). You guys...While the worlds are down, can you maybe rethink the whole "ML 24 loot gen ring is better than the thing you ran 20 raids on ee to get without raid timers." That would be pretty sweet if a second glance happened.

Also...one of my fellblades (out of 2) said I wasn't proficient during the hour of play post update...LOL. I know there were/are issues, but that issue cracked me the hell up. Well played, game bug.

Nédime
12-17-2015, 04:05 PM

On Argo there's been a world broadcast message warning they were going to shut the server down

Karadon_II
12-17-2015, 04:15 PM
You're insane. I never would have risked TRing like that. Who knows what would happen if the servers came down right while you are in the middle of the TR process?

Agreed. You'd be statistically safer if you ran downstairs with scissors! Don't do that again!

EllisDee37
12-17-2015, 04:28 PM
Just to take a small step back here... had you done those exact same runs *after* the update, you would have made it to 30 anyway, or very near.You're saying that running...

overgrowth
outbreak
impossible demands
rusted blades
Lords of Dust
Bargain of Blood
Broken Chains
Storm the beaches

...is worth 2 million epic xp? That's a neat trick getting an average of 250k from each one of those quests. (I think your estimate is off by a factor of 10.)

Saekee
12-17-2015, 04:30 PM
this would be funny if everyone's toon was naked at log in

SableShadow
12-17-2015, 04:35 PM
this would be funny if everyone's toon was naked at log in

Not even then.
I'm reading some of the stuff being pulled, the stuff that isn't obviously broken, and thinking "please, please, let this be the wrong build deployed" ...

RydeaNikkna
12-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Agreed. You'd be statistically safer if you ran downstairs with scissors! Don't do that again!

Never tell me the odds... :p

I did it, got in after the patch did Cannith Crystal, attacked slower then a hibernating frog; failed... Did Heyton's Rest, pulled a +3 Vorpal Something of Something else... ML3.

19 seconds to downtime...

LXP
12-17-2015, 05:05 PM

Odd, I was running through one of the new quests right after the update, and my Arti could handle the traps just fine.

die
12-17-2015, 05:10 PM
OK...I know the worlds are down. I realize some stuff is getting fixed/adjusted whatever...But quick initial thoughts:

Quests: Best quests in 5 years easy. Actual team work needed. Not just "run in hit stuff get money" but actual quests. Cannot be happier.

Loot: I pulled a loot gen ring that was like ML 25 and better than Sightless...This may be a problem, as it kind of makes raids worthless (except for like nostalgia, quest diversity, making it so we don't farm stuff?). You guys...While the worlds are down, can you maybe rethink the whole "ML 24 loot gen ring is better than the thing you ran 20 raids on ee to get without raid timers." That would be pretty sweet if a second glance happened.

Also...one of my fellblades (out of 2) said I wasn't proficient during the hour of play post update...LOL. I know there were/are issues, but that issue cracked me the hell up. Well played, game bug.

I am glad to hear you had fun. Me I think the first Kobold quest is the same quest we have been running since the harbor very lame very boring, very linear. OH look we have to pull a lever .. duh

Tahkhesis
12-17-2015, 05:24 PM
I am glad to hear you had fun. Me I think the first Kobold quest is the same quest we have been running since the harbor very lame very boring, very linear. OH look we have to pull a lever .. duh

I mean...Compared to "run into quest, run straight, hit s**t"? Yeah. Yeah it was really good. Puzzles, one shots from cubes, team work...To each their own though.

kwbonin
12-17-2015, 05:40 PM
LOL, maybe there’s negative comments about the lack of notice (short would assume there was some notice) because it is a real issue for real people.

It's just a game that people spend real money on and real time on. I wonder if any other services you pay for decided to make major changes and give little to no notice you would be chirping the same tune.

True, it is real people and real money, I agree. It is just sad that there is so much anger and frustration over a game.

In reality there was a large window. The exact date was not known but we did know it was coming. It's not Turbine's fault players waited until the last minute to be fully prepared for it.

Yes, I would still be patient and understanding (granted, to a point) if service was bad or inconsistent, I would simply drop the service for another if the situation became extreme.

I happen to be in customer service in IT, not for Turbine. I am always amazed at the impatience and "sense of entitlement" people feel they have. Some people you can't make happy, for any reason.

I am not upset at all, just saying to everyone, relax and have fun. It is a game. :)

Tahkhesis
12-17-2015, 05:49 PM
True, it is real people and real money, I agree. It is just sad that there is so much anger and frustration over a game.

In reality there was a large window. The exact date was not known but we did know it was coming. It's not Turbine's fault players waited until the last minute to be fully prepared for it.

Yes, I would still be patient and understanding (granted, to a point) if service was bad or inconsistent, I would simply drop the service for another if the situation became extreme.

I happen to be in customer service in IT, not for Turbine. I am always amazed at the impatience and "sense of entitlement" people feel they have. Some people you can't make happy, for any reason.

I am not upset at all, just saying to everyone, relax and have fun. It is a game. :)

Nailed it. Well played, sir.

jb111
12-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Two ideas to improve things in the future:
1) Develop or leverage existing technology to text ddo users when their, "World" is down/up. https://ifttt.com is neat but an app and API would still need to be created. Do you remember that cool app where you could view your character (equipment, stats, etc...)? At least have a site where we can check like: http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ddo.com.html

2) Many know test, dev and qa environments often do not mirror production. More importantly, they cannot simulate the number of real users. After testing is done, pick one of the less lowest populated servers and push the changes there. I understand Lam is supposed to be that but for some reason big bugs keep slipping in. Is it possible they've been hacked?

Please let me know what you think of my ideas. I know nothing of the gaming industry or how to code it. Thx

LXP
12-17-2015, 06:08 PM
Two ideas to improve things in the future:
1) Develop or leverage existing technology to text ddo users when their, "World" is down/up. https://ifttt.com is neat but an app and API would still need to be created. Do you remember that cool app where you could view your character (equipment, stats, etc...)? At least have a site where we can check like: http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ddo.com.html

2) Many know test, dev and qa environments often do not mirror production. More importantly, they cannot simulate the number of real users. After testing is done, pick one of the less lowest populated servers and push the changes there. I understand Lam is supposed to be that but for some reason big bugs keep slipping in. Is it possible they've been hacked?

Please let me know what you think of my ideas. I know nothing of the gaming industry or how to code it. Thx

About your idea of server status notifications/display: There is at least one public site available where you can check server status, and you can also use the underlying widget on your own websites, for example a guild site.

About Lamannia: Yes, it is the test server, open to the community at times. And testing - in theory - involves reporting bugs. Problem is, many people just can't be bothered to actually report bugs they find. And quite some people who are active on Lamannia don't report bugs for another reason - they HOPE those bugs make it onto the live servers because they hope for new exploits.

Faltout
12-17-2015, 06:25 PM
About Lamannia: Yes, it is the test server, open to the community at times. And testing - in theory - involves reporting bugs. Problem is, many people just can't be bothered to actually report bugs they find. And quite some people who are active on Lamannia don't report bugs for another reason - they HOPE those bugs make it onto the live servers because they hope for new exploits.
... and there is of course the large amount of bugs AND feedback that get posted repeatedly only to be ignored.
And don't forget: The latest build never makes it to lamannia. The build they released today was never seen before.

jb111
12-17-2015, 06:33 PM
Thanks Both. The only link I saw for DDO status is https://twitter.com/ddounlimited. Gotta help kids with homework. Maybe it will be fixed when I am done :)

royboy
12-17-2015, 06:36 PM
You guys dropped the ball.

I hope Santa plays DDO

Paladin20
12-17-2015, 08:01 PM
And to think all of the people who complained about not finishing their TRs in time could be using this down time to grind some xp ;)

Jasparion
12-17-2015, 08:12 PM
... and there is of course the large amount of bugs AND feedback that get posted repeatedly only to be ignored.
And don't forget: The latest build never makes it to lamannia. The build they released today was never seen before.

And in the past they also had Mournland which in theory was an even earlier view for new ideas to be tested and very broken things recognised. But time and money meant it was no longer needed from a financial sense.