PDA

View Full Version : Melee Favored Soul suggestions

HastyPudding
12-16-2015, 11:02 AM
So, I'm thinking about TRing my 6th life druid into a FVS and doing 3 FVS lives (for the past lives, of course). His ultimate goal is a spellcaster, but I was thinking of doing something different from a typical 18/2 spellcaster bladeforged FVS (which still isn't off the table, just as a last resort option).

Specifics:
- Must be PDK or Bladeforged, leaning towards PDK due to bladeforged being easily done with sorcerer past lives, of which he already has 2.
- Must be primary FVS (it's a FVS life, after all).
- Heavily mutli-classed builds aren't really my strong suit, I tend to go pure or 18/2 when necessary, so I sort of suck at planning multi-classed builds.
- I have no experience whatsoever with melee FVS, or even the warpriest tree.
- Weapons could be anything, I'm open to all suggestions (except khopeshes, I abhor khopeshes). The character has no store of BtC melee stuff built up, as he's completely caster-based.

UurlockYgmeov
12-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Base it upon Numot's Soul Survivor... killer build - only gotten better with time.

werenor
12-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Base it upon Numot's Soul Survivor... killer build - only gotten better with time.

Looking at that build it seems to be a bit outdated (posted 2010? last post 2012? no enhancements trees, current gear....or I didnĀ“t see the update).

This is the one I found: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/449794-Melee-FvS-Build-with-New-Update

unbongwah
12-16-2015, 02:17 PM
The character has no store of BtC melee stuff built up, as he's completely caster-based.
Is there any particular reason for going melee-specced, then, rather than sticking with caster FvS?

HastyPudding
12-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Is there any particular reason for going melee-specced, then, rather than sticking with caster FvS?

Boredom, I suppose. I never made a melee cleric or FVS before, figured I'd give it a shot. If I don't like it, I am going to TR once I hit cap, anyway.

Dragnipurake
12-16-2015, 05:08 PM
Well, there is nothing wrong with going pure FVS or splashing 3-4 levels of fighter/paladin.

In your case that might be taking PDK and do a fighter4/fvs16 split.

Enhancements:

Stalwart Defender: Stalwart Defense, Durable and Resilient Defense, Tenacious and Strong/Hardy Defense

Warpriest: avoid Righteous Weapon, the rest is fairly useful, Magic Backlash can be fun, Ameliorating Strike might be the most useful

Caprice
12-16-2015, 05:37 PM
I'd suggest a 17/3 split in either case so you can get the Defensive stance out of Stalwart/Sacred Defender that requires the level 3 core. The stance is a small AP investment for a nice PRR/MRR jump (6 AP for +25/25). Favored Soul 17 gets you the fun Leap of Faith so consider that before splashing any more levels. You don't get level 9 spells (http://ddowiki.com/page/Favored_Soul_spells#Level_9) (e.g. Mass Heal, True Ressurection, Implosion) until FvS 18, and FvS18 is required to get the Haste spell from Warpriest. Consider how much those matter to you while deciding.

I tend to think BF is a much better fit for FvS. Paladin 2+ gives you extra saves from Charisma, and BF gets to choose the Lord of Blades as its favored diety so you get FvS and Warpriest bonuses with Greatswords, which is a decent melee weapon and has some strong named options. PDK FvS is restricted to worshipping Amaunator, which locks your FvS and Warpriest bonuses onto the absolutely terrible Heavy Mace. You don't have to stick to your favored weapon but you give some nice bonuses if you do (+7 attack & damage & a potential additional +15 Spellpower implement bonus). I often see people suggesting that non-BF/WF battle clerics should use a Greatsword or Falchion no matter what faith they follow as the better damage and critical profiles exceed the FvS/WP bonuses. I suppose that at least frees you AP to use elsewhere.

Going with Greatsword could be interesting on PDK since you can take advantage of PDK's Cormyrian Knight Training enhancement to get CHA to damage with Greatswords and go with a CHA build. Note that WIS applies to FvS spell DCs, not CHA, but CHA is required to meet spell level requirements and is your SP pool stat. So a CHA build doesn't really help your FvS spells much but helps with ED abilities like Soundburst and Energy Burst. Another thought is going TWF monk with shortswords (e.g. a Shoikan (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/440115-Shoikan-A-Divine-Crusader-Warpriest) variant with Ftr, or 12/6/1, again also possibly using CKT + CHA), although that starts diluting the FvS aspect even more.

HastyPudding
12-16-2015, 07:25 PM
Hmmmm, I never thought of a cha-based pdk fvs, that actually sounds fun. Sub-par dps doesn't bother me, so long as I get the life done with and I have fun, although the lack of divine might seems rather odd. There would be plenty of SP for healing and buffs with the high cha, and it's not like I'm going to be spamming blade barriers and cometfalls on a non-caster FVS so wisdom can be a veritable dump stat.

I think I'm stuck on PDK, though. I'd like to have the 3 PDK lives for the PRR passives (and PDK doesn't seem that great compared to doing my last bladeforged life as an 18/2 sorcerer). I might as well get the PDK lives while I'm at it.

My only concern is the 18/2 or 17/3 split, both of which have good points and both have their cons. Missing haste isn't that big of a deal, since haste pots are readily available and speed items are very common; the same goes for the level 9 spells, none of which are essential to a melee. I think I would prefer the survivability of the PRR/MRR to the semi-useful-with-low-wisdom level 9 spells.

tsteigner
12-17-2015, 04:21 AM
Hmmmm, I never thought of a cha-based pdk fvs, that actually sounds fun. Sub-par dps doesn't bother me, so long as I get the life done with and I have fun, although the lack of divine might seems rather odd. There would be plenty of SP for healing and buffs with the high cha, and it's not like I'm going to be spamming blade barriers and cometfalls on a non-caster FVS so wisdom can be a veritable dump stat.

I think I'm stuck on PDK, though. I'd like to have the 3 PDK lives for the PRR passives (and PDK doesn't seem that great compared to doing my last bladeforged life as an 18/2 sorcerer). I might as well get the PDK lives while I'm at it.

My only concern is the 18/2 or 17/3 split, both of which have good points and both have their cons. Missing haste isn't that big of a deal, since haste pots are readily available and speed items are very common; the same goes for the level 9 spells, none of which are essential to a melee. I think I would prefer the survivability of the PRR/MRR to the semi-useful-with-low-wisdom level 9 spells.

don't make the mistake of going chr to hit/dmg on a fvs/clr/paladin build your loosing a awful lot of dps since you don't have divine might available then (sure you could use kta instead but thats a lot of more AP you need to spent then the 3 in Warpriest .....).

As for 17/3 or 18/2 split thats pretty easy to decide, in the heroic game you don't need mass heal nowadays and implosion is only good with decent DC's, if you go warpriest route, you'll have dumped wis so no real difference if you have lvl 9 spells or not

Atremus
12-17-2015, 06:54 AM
Theorycrafting a "bad idea build":

15FvS / 5 Pally - TWF

You'll still have access to Heal, FoM and DW

Enough DEX to qualify for GTWF, STR and CON.

No Wings though but if you are melee, no real need to run for your life.

Put most points into Defender and KoTC. Run in Sentinel

sirgog
12-17-2015, 06:55 AM

That was my build and I do not recommend it any more.

The game has changed and that build's strengths no longer suit the present game.

Sunnie
12-17-2015, 09:41 AM
If you want to go with 2WFing, a 6/6/8 split with ranger and either fighter or pally is also quite decent. Dance of Death is a great thing to have.