PDA

View Full Version : Weave in the Fade: Limited-use Assassin Technique

Saekee
11-22-2015, 12:56 PM
The basics: Stay permanently invisible and in Shadow Walk

Scrolls are good (SD's shadow walk only lasts one minute whereas scrolled shadowwalk lasts 11 minutes; scrolled invis is good for 3min; thanks to SamelBael's insights, the massinvisi scroll lasts 13min, UMD 44)
elven dragonmarks last forever but then you must be elven...

Benefits: 40% movement speed, perma Displacement

Anything that does not break invisibility does not break Shadow walk

assassinate!!!
assassin's trick
Dire Charge (http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Destiny_Feats), even when damaging enemies (tested by SamaelBael (https://www.ddo.com/forums/member.php/339287-SamaelBael))
tier 5 Flyby Attack of Draconic (http://ddowiki.com/page/Draconic_Incarnation) Incarnation, even when damaging enemies (tested by SamaelBael)
Shadar-Kai chain attacks do not break invisibility or stealth; they also do not break Shadow walk (tested by Livmo here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/433902-why-are-Shadar-kai-so-gimped?p=5829159&viewfull=1#post5829159))
Lay traps--use web traps to help party, even elemental traps (damage is not great). Be like a Phase Spider in which you lay traps when assassinate is on timer
Spam skill uses,including bluff, diplo, unlock chests & doors, disable traps
scroll heal & raise dead--they break stealth, but do not break invisi and Shadow Walk
grab collectables
sweeping strikes--this is a tier 4 acrobat staff move
Some cleave attacks, such as TA's sweeping strikes (equip a staff) & Eldritch Strike (for Prowler (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/479238-The-Prowler-Covert-Assassin-of-House-Thuranni)builds)

In short: assassinate, trick, lay traps, Dire Charge/Flyby, rinse & repeat

Things you can't do:

rejuvenation cocoon
summon monsters
flaming spheres :(
open chests. You can unlock them, and loot them once opened by party members
levers, doors etc. Locked doors in some quests open to OL without the need to bash down
Via SamaelBael in this post (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/467979-Weave-in-the-Fade-Limited-use-Assassin-Technique?p=5806899&viewfull=1#post5806899): Tenser's Transformation breaks both invisibility & shadow walk
Sap feat use

The why and the How:

You can keep up with a party with ease and create less risks for yourself by moving way ahead to assassinate the big nasties (it is easier & safer to move into the midst of enemy mobs when you are invisible, moving fast and displaced)
Let the party pull levers, open doors, open chests etc. You can loot an open chest without breaking invisi and shadow walk; unlock it for them, though,if needed.
Even when your stealth is broken from getting hit, you are invisible, displaced and fast. Very easy to jump back into stealth mode and get safe.
You can create a special gear swap that avoids redundancies--no need for Improved Deception, deadly, blur, speed/movement items, etc. Hence you can focus on less-than-optimal combos under normal conditions, such as the Devil's Handiwork set, that can then boost rogue trap effectiveness and assassinate DC
Feeling squishy in EE & Legendary quests? This is a fun way to keep up and contribute

Very useful in certain quests in which a) there are few levers b) in which PUGS often run in large groups and c) that you know well. You will adapt quickly to the purple haze vision.

Von 4--works really well there!
Almost all Gianthold and Sands quests save for Wiz King
All Red Fens
Spies in the House,save for first skelly optional
Druid's Curse (you can assassinate the Woades--use trick, bluff then assassinate)
various EStar, Wheloon and Storm Horns quests
etc.

Not useful in quests where assassinate does not work, such as:
Wizard King undead

Useless against:

red names
champs and mobs with true sight/true seeing--hit them first, or use web traps to immobilize
champs sometimes have assassinate-resist, but not always

Ran with a PUG today, EE Madstone. Shot of us heading to Seer 2 Crystal:

http://i.imgur.com/EiZdmND.jpg

In EE Grey Garl, final fight (took my time here...was only level 22)
http://i.imgur.com/Sa0xqqs.jpg

Feel free to post your insights and I will update this OP.

SamaelBael
11-22-2015, 05:26 PM
*) Mass Invis, scrolled, lasts longer than the scrolled Invis

*) Tried to implement Shadow Walk into my playstyle. Abandoned the idea because the sound of it made me want to punch something...

Without the sound and a bit less zerg - nah, i like to be 1st or 2nd on the kill list with my 1st lifer. That cant be done with Assassinate only.

Good option for solo/static groups/flowersniffers though. It has been a while since i last saw a flowersniffer PUG in the LFM. Do they still exist?

Saekee
11-23-2015, 08:22 AM
*) Mass Invis, scrolled, lasts longer than the scrolled Invis

*) Tried to implement Shadow Walk into my playstyle. Abandoned the idea because the sound of it made me want to punch something...

Without the sound and a bit less zerg - nah, i like to be 1st or 2nd on the kill list with my 1st lifer. That cant be done with Assassinate only.

Good option for solo/static groups/flowersniffers though. It has been a while since i last saw a flowersniffer PUG in the LFM. Do they still exist?
hi SamaelBael, thanks for responding. I am glad for the tip about massinvisi; I had no idea it lasted much longer. That makes sense since the caster level is higher on that scroll. Great to know; will add it to the OP.

The sound and visuals are annoying at first (I did not punch anything though). Then, I did not really notice them after a little while. It really only makes sense to use in quests that one knows well, though, and by then I am not really looking around much.

This is for BOTH flowersniffers AND zergers. It is actually a better technique for the latter. I was with an EE group in Madstone Crater yesterday, level 22 with mid-epic players and I did fine (I led the kill count too, but that is easy for an assassin in that particular quest due to the distances, spawns at the crystal dances, etc which make the assassinate cooldown a non-issue). An assassin only using assassinate is very effective, if not more effective, in EE, than one that mixes melee too often. Once you are meleeing, it is tricky to assassinate and you then fail to use your best ability. Your MTF also expires. Note, too, that you can get whacked while meleeing which means using resources to heal. In that time, you could be assassinating, laying web traps, etc.

I am not interested in kill counts but doing what is necessary to aid the party in a painless completion. I found this to be the way in some quests and for some players, so it is not for everyone/everywhere.

SamaelBael
11-23-2015, 02:25 PM
I am not interested in kill counts but doing what is necessary to aid the party in a painless completion.

Yes, it is a great option for painless completions.

From my perspective, tough, it shifts the assassin from the backstabbing SOBraveheart towards CCer/backup-healer.

With a decent amount of points in TA and some partymember throwing the occasional consecrated ground I hardly ever have to heal myself, even in EE.

Maybe I would feel too limited in my attacks with just Assassinate. Killing 1-2 mobs with Assassinate and then repositioning/ deploying mines/ healing partymembers/ lfb for 15 sec is a good option for a laidback playstyle. Compared to that my regular playstyle consists of a lot more buttonsmashing.

Great option for the undergeared assassin too.
-No need for concealment items
-To-Hit can be lower, most assassinates are made from behind the mob
-speed/haste less interesting. movement speed from Shadow Walk, attack speed from Assassinate
-doublestrike doesn't apply to Assassinate (does it?)

It might be interesting to try some Assassinate/ranged Hybrid. Only the first 2wf feat offers to-hit malus reduction. The others offer dps, which does not apply to Assassinate.
Assassin/AA elf? Assassinations for fleshies, AA bow for undead/constructs/bosses.

SamaelBael
11-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Hey, folks.

Just wanted to let you know that we're planning on adjusting Astral to be:

Scion of the Astral Plane

+4 to Tactical Feat and Assassinate DCs
+4% Doublestrike & Doubleshot. An additional +4 if you are centered.
+4% Dodge, +4 to Dodge Cap.
+4 to Reflex Saves.

Scion of the Ethereal Plane just went the way of the Dodo with this change, your option stays interesting for lvl 30 Assassins^^

Saekee
11-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Yes, it is a great option for painless completions.

From my perspective, tough, it shifts the assassin from the backstabbing SOBraveheart towards CCer/backup-healer.

With a decent amount of points in TA and some partymember throwing the occasional consecrated ground I hardly ever have to heal myself, even in EE.

Maybe I would feel too limited in my attacks with just Assassinate. Killing 1-2 mobs with Assassinate and then repositioning/ deploying mines/ healing partymembers/ lfb for 15 sec is a good option for a laidback playstyle. Compared to that my regular playstyle consists of a lot more buttonsmashing.

Great option for the undergeared assassin too.
-No need for concealment items
-To-Hit can be lower, most assassinates are made from behind the mob
-speed/haste less interesting. movement speed from Shadow Walk, attack speed from Assassinate

It might be interesting to try some Assassinate/ranged Hybrid. Only the first 2wf feat offers to-hit malus reduction. The others offer dps, which does not apply to Assassinate.
Assassin/AA elf? Assassinations for fleshies, AA bow for undead/constructs/bosses.
I totally agree--if you have someone spamming Consecrated ground and drawing aggro, that's melee time.

Also, this is the whole bonus--for an undergeared assassin, you can really focus on just a few attributes to boost assassinate, HS/MS, etc. Makes gearing easier. I have a swap item I use when in this mode.

Scion of the Ethereal Plane just went the way of the Dodo with this change, your option stays interesting for lvl 30 Assassins^^

Oh wow! So astral gets the assassinate boost, ethereal still gets the sneak attack damage? But then Arborea gives MP which would affect overall sneak damage. Nuts. Well, I think you are right--this tactic might be appealing for legendary content especially since it makes the ethereal less compelling via its imitation. My idea in this thread is that you can choose to either melee or phase spider per quest/situation, but Astral vs Arborea forces the choice somewhat in the feat selection.

Scion of the Astral Plane

+4 to Tactical Feat and Assassinate DCs
+4% Doublestrike & Doubleshot. An additional +4 if you are centered.
+4% Dodge, +4 to Dodge Cap.
+4 to Reflex Saves.

Scion of Arborea

+20 Melee and Ranged Power
+20 Force Spell Power and +20 Universal Spell Power
+2 to the Enhancement Bonus of your weapon
+4 to Fortitude Saves

Scion of the Ethereal Plane

Permanent Blur, and while sneaking, permanent Displacement.
+1 point of Sneak Attack damage for every 2 points of Hide you have
+2 to all Skills
Permanent Invisibility Guard, as per the item effect

SamaelBael
11-24-2015, 02:38 PM
My Assassinate is not good enough to pass up a buff.
+4 to Assassinate, Reflex, Double-attack and Dodge looks well balanced.

Thanks for the feedback so far, folks. We'll be making some adjustments to Scion of the Ethereal Plane, likely reducing the Sneak Attack damage somewhat and replacing the Displacement.

Can't wait to see what we'll get when U29 goes live.

nokowi
11-26-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks Saekee.

I can't tolerate the shadow walk vision, but this sounds interesting to play around with.

If you would be willing to make a video, I would be happy to post it on my assassin site. I'm too busy trying to get DoJ gear I missed while away to do much else these days.

-Noko

Saekee
11-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Thanks Saekee.

I can't tolerate the shadow walk vision, but this sounds interesting to play around with.

If you would be willing to make a video, I would be happy to post it on my assassin site. I'm too busy trying to get DoJ gear I missed while away to do much else these days.

-Noko

Thx and glad you are back.

I am not able to take vids but will look into it--my slideshow guides are not as...compelling.

CThruTheEgo
11-27-2015, 08:57 AM
I like the concept, but I have to agree with others, I can't stand the sight or sound of shadow walk. It's a shame, really. I like the "unseen" nature of this build though.

Saekee
11-27-2015, 09:08 AM
I like the concept, but I have to agree with others, I can't stand the sight or sound of shadow walk. It's a shame, really. I like the "unseen" nature of this build though.
Thx for responding.

It's actually not so bad--you get used to it. I felt the same way until I tried it. In some quests it really is a problem but in ones in which there are tons of mobs, they light stuff up and reduce the purple haze.

Well, keep this in mind for legendary stuff--since it mimics the Scion of ethereal, it might be a great option for assassinating rogues in the toughest future quests. SD has a one-minute clicky that works in short bursts for experimentation.

peng
11-27-2015, 09:31 AM
I used to use shadow walk quite a bit back in the day.

Be careful, as shadow walk doesn't actually invis you on its own. You need to be in sneak mode or have another source of invisibility.
My healer (when those were still a thing) would scroll shadow walk for a super-long displacement while party healing.
Shadow walk allows you to see (in purple) in rainbow in the dark.
19 monk gets a ki-based shadow walk clicky. I know it's not much use on an assassin, but monks can be sneaky too.
When you break shadow walk fairly often (combat, doors, levers, etc) the extra runspeed might not make much of a difference, but in long runs (say, to adq) the extra speed can save you some precious seconds :).

Saekee
11-27-2015, 10:47 AM
I used to use shadow walk quite a bit back in the day.

Be careful, as shadow walk doesn't actually invis you on its own. You need to be in sneak mode or have another source of invisibility.
My healer (when those were still a thing) would scroll shadow walk for a super-long displacement while party healing.
Shadow walk allows you to see (in purple) in rainbow in the dark.
19 monk gets a ki-based shadow walk clicky. I know it's not much use on an assassin, but monks can be sneaky too.
When you break shadow walk fairly often (combat, doors, levers, etc) the extra runspeed might not make much of a difference, but in long runs (say, to adq) the extra speed can save you some precious seconds :).

Hi Peng! Thx for your insights. Yes, this should be combined with invisibility--thx to SamaelBael above, mass invisi via the UMDing the scroll lasts for a decent time (need to document the exact amount to update the OP). You can scroll heal as a rogue also and it does not break invisi or shadow walk. You CANNOT spam cocoon though.

On an even funner note:
The ultimate run speed is combining 1) a class buff, like acrobat's fast movment; 2) rogue faster sneaking from assassin 3) shadow walk and 4) go into stealth and use SD's full-run-speed-in stealth (core Shadow Training II). It is bugged or something (probably programmed based on the old sneak speed of assassins at 50%) but you really fly! It is a very fun way to shoot in and out of combat; too bad it only lasts for 30 seconds. (I have used it to zoom up from the estar cavern to questgivers in no time)

SamaelBael
11-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Mass Invisibility
UMD: 44
Min Lvl: 11
Duration: 13min
Base Value: 227.5pp

Shadow Walk
UMD: 40
Min Lvl: 9
Duration: 11min
Base Value: 165pp

Duration= CL

@ Nokowi:
Welcome back! Your remnant farming video was a huge help during the Mimic festival, too bad the devs didn't like it. Was a lot of fun, running EE HH with undergeared PUGs^^

Saekee
11-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Mass Invisibility
UMD: 44
Min Lvl: 11
Duration: 13min
Base Value: 227.5pp

Shadow Walk
UMD: 40
Min Lvl: 9
Duration: 11min
Base Value: 165pp

Duration= CL

@ Nokowi:
Welcome back! Your remnant farming video was a huge help during the Mimic festival, too bad the devs didn't like it. Was a lot of fun, running EE HH with undergeared PUGs^^
Thank you! OP updated.

I missed out on the HH remnant farm...

TeacherSyn
12-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Never thought about the non-combat, non-running options you could do with this. Nice!

Saekee
12-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Never thought about the non-combat, non-running options you could do with this. Nice!
Heya, thx for responding. It IS combat, though, if you use assassinate...

I have found this technique super useful in various situations, even for limited durations.

QuantumFX
12-29-2015, 11:25 PM

It does. In fact, if you’re moving while assassinating, you can hit up to 3 targets.

Saekee
12-30-2015, 07:04 AM
It does. In fact, if you’re moving while assassinating, you can hit up to 3 targets.

yes--and technically the offhand can DS too with PTWF.
In tough content I tend to stay on one target so as to give multiple opportunities to take out the target (unless I am in groups).

Also worth considering is a strong debuff weapon in the main hand to essentially boost the DC in the offhand. It looks like the LGS tier 3 Int weapons of neg neg neg then give 1d3 neg levels on hit with a 30 sec cooldown. That would buff the offhand by dropping mob saves via level drain.

Ayseifn
12-30-2015, 07:33 AM
Is Scion of the Ethereal Plane ever worthwhile now that it's 3 hide/1 SA damage? The defence is worse than the other two melee options but I'm mainly curious if the damage part can beat out 20 MP on a rogue. Anyone have a well specced LD Assassin or Acrobat I can run the numbers on?

With Ethereal Plane I can go pretty hard core and use boosts to hit 200+ hide for ~67 SA and without boosts and some but no max investment hit maybe 145 or so hide for 48 SA so really curious how it stacks up.

Saekee
12-30-2015, 07:37 AM
Is Scion of the Ethereal Plane ever worthwhile now that it's 3 hide/1 SA damage? The defence is worse than the other two melee options but I'm mainly curious if the damage part can beat out 20 MP on a rogue. Anyone have a well specced LD Assassin or Acrobat I can run the numbers on?

With Ethereal Plane I can go pretty hard core and use boosts to hit 200+ hide for ~67 SA and without boosts and some but no max investment hit maybe 145 or so hide for 48 SA so really curious how it stacks up.

That is a good question, but unfortunately off-topic.

If you go Ethereal, though, then use the ToEE set and LGS dex skills on a gear slot, maybe the belt.

Bolo_Grubb
12-30-2015, 07:52 AM
I will have to play around with this

Saekee
12-30-2015, 11:50 AM
I will have to play around with this
Great! Let me know your insights after trying it.

VinoeWhines
01-10-2016, 06:49 AM
Thx and glad you are back.

I am not able to take vids but will look into it--my slideshow guides are not as...compelling.

Hey there.
I will try to get around to make a video if possible, but during update 27/28, I would use the invis clicky, that I think drops in amrath that I think gives 11/13 mins. (of invis at 3 charges I believe) and SD shadow walk/GS displacement clickies(and sometimes Shadow Phase armour clicky) and set traps and assassinate the Giants at the entrance/start point, when soloing EE TOR, you have to be very much a tactician and it wouldn't be easy with all those giants running around in circles, but was doable.

It's keyboard and clicky intensive but fun to assassinate those bumbling Giants. My backup was my repeater in case I was sighted.
I've also led kill counts in EE DA with the double assassinate going off.
As a concerted first lifer assassin with no pass lives/stances etc. on my main toon, the challenge is always there.
I plan on having my alt TR/ETR to try taking the skills to another level as an assassin.

On a side note: Does the TOEE Assassins Kiss stack with the murderous gloves? [(+6) Assassinate dagger] + [(+6/7)+(+2) gloves]

Also I think for the above technique to flow nicer would be to craft multiple Shadow Phase robes and run around in robes using multiple Shadow Phase clickies without have to wait to equip light armour load time(though I haven't tested Quick Draw feat yet for faster switching). Robes are instant on/off switching, fun times.

Saekee
01-11-2016, 06:35 AM
Hey there.
I will try to get around to make a video if possible, but during update 27/28, I would use the invis clicky, that I think drops in amrath that I think gives 11/13 mins. (of invis at 3 charges I believe) and SD shadow walk/GS displacement clickies(and sometimes Shadow Phase armour clicky) and set traps and assassinate the Giants at the entrance/start point, when soloing EE TOR, you have to be very much a tactician and it wouldn't be easy with all those giants running around in circles, but was doable.

It's keyboard and clicky intensive but fun to assassinate those bumbling Giants. My backup was my repeater in case I was sighted.
I've also led kill counts in EE DA with the double assassinate going off.
As a concerted first lifer assassin with no pass lives/stances etc. on my main toon, the challenge is always there.
I plan on having my alt TR/ETR to try taking the skills to another level as an assassin.

On a side note: Does the TOEE Assassins Kiss stack with the murderous gloves? [(+6) Assassinate dagger] + [(+6/7)+(+2) gloves]

Also I think for the above technique to flow nicer would be to craft multiple Shadow Phase robes and run around in robes using multiple Shadow Phase clickies without have to wait to equip light armour load time(though I haven't tested Quick Draw feat yet for faster switching). Robes are instant on/off switching, fun times.

hi Vinoe, thx for your thoughts! I tried TOR but found it tricky to chase down the giants, but Tor & DA are great places for this. The Amrath clickie seems good but really the mass invisi scrolls last a long time.

The shadow phase robes can be used to act on levers, melee briefly, drop spheresetc. Quezuzu here has really mastered that approach and uses it on a Robed acrobat with monk splash!

You can also use Fade into the Weave for combat invisi (Magister) & SD's improved invisi for anything. Just remember that once stealth is broken, champs can often see through invisi status.

EKiss assassinate bonus should only stack with insightful.

If you have a vid, I'll add it to the OP, thx!

Arkai
01-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Hey, thanks for this and your other awesome forum posts (flaming goodies, yay).

I am running my first assasin these days (was an acrobat before) and I did skip heroic levels since this is an epic TR. I found, as I said, very inspirationals those tactics and I am getting practice at them.

Quick question: you wrote that Wood Guys can be assasinated if you use trick + bluff. Is everything non red named, non robot, non undead assasinable? Tried with a couple of elementals and didn't work, and I wasn't able to recover any information about this from the ddo wiki.

Ty and keep working on those amazing rogue posts :)

Saekee
01-11-2016, 07:07 AM
Hey, thanks for this and your other awesome forum posts (flaming goodies, yay).

I am running my first assasin these days (was an acrobat before) and I did skip heroic levels since this is an epic TR. I found, as I said, very inspirationals those tactics and I am getting practice at them.

Quick question: you wrote that Wood Guys can be assasinated if you use trick + bluff. Is everything non red named, non robot, non undead assasinable? Tried with a couple of elementals and didn't work, and I wasn't able to recover any information about this from the ddo wiki.

Ty and keep working on those amazing rogue posts :)

Hi Arkai, thank you for your kind thoughts! My main is pretty squishy so I am often exploring game mechanics to survive.
For Woades assassinate, I read some time a forum post about someone using Trick to assassinate almost anything. It seems to be some combo of fort bypass and Trick's unusual creation of sneak vulnerability. I have tried it often on elementals but have not had any luck. Definitely not undead. If you have any success with unusual targets, please post. It could be a great unique thread on its own.

I have been farming ToEE and finding EH to be very easy with just invisi scrolled. The gargoyles can be assassinated there sans Trick.

VinoeWhines
02-06-2016, 03:49 PM
yes--and technically the offhand can DS too with PTWF.
In tough content I tend to stay on one target so as to give multiple opportunities to take out the target (unless I am in groups).

Also worth considering is a strong debuff weapon in the main hand to essentially boost the DC in the offhand. It looks like the LGS tier 3 Int weapons of neg neg neg then give 1d3 neg levels on hit with a 30 sec cooldown. That would buff the offhand by dropping mob saves via level drain.

Ya PTWF for the win, I don't even use TWF tiers anymore because of it. If you don't have a crafted dagger, you can use the sacrificial dagger, to (a)chance to level drain and unbuff their stat to assassinate.

For Giants I would also scroll PW Blind(webs don't work/Fascinate/Prismatic traps do), blind them as their running to me, drop into stealth and Assassinate them. That was the most effective technique when spotted to still pull off an assassinate on mobs that spotted you. Bluff works, but a blinded target gets hit with sneak attack longer and you can temporary leave them alone to go towards another mob to gain a chance to double assassinate them. Another trick that seems to work is jump assassinate while in the air as your landing.

These are more advance moves but you can raise your kill count if your interested in pursuing that line.(I'll pull out that playstyle once in a while, so you can be playing aggressively for those that don't like passive sneak and kill) but can get you killed if your not on top of your heals.

Another tip:
when harried and alot of trash is on screen, to get out of that situation, you click your armour/robe shadow phase clicky(you should be already displaced/IUDodged, have already used Jump clicky/scroll on your self earlier), shadow walk, then jump and use your Cannith Boots of Propulsion to push your way out of the death trap. Click on Faster Sneak while in the air or when landing to buy out the time to get out of that deathwalk Flash Mob situation. (of course hitting yourself in the process with at least a RejCoon and trying to bust out a scroll Heal on the way out.

That's the great thing about Rogues is their versatility/utility.
Another thing I rarely do is equip the new Epic Bleeding Edge(Limb Chopper) Kopesh(Mhand) and use Allegiance(0hand for proficiency use/ or just use the Heroic Bloody Hooked Blade (Limb Chopper) Kopesh together and Chop off there limbs so they move at such a slow speed you cause THEM to have Lagggg! and move soo slow and dispatch them at will. That's another melee option you can use(any old STR build with Grazing hits out there?).

What server you guys on? Would be nice for you guys to run together and try out your techniques while the other guy can back you up on an Assassinate Gone Wrong.

I miss the old Assassinate enemy on Vorpal PRe we Rogues use to have on Any weapon, as well as cheat death option, Mechanical Dogs....

Saekee
02-06-2016, 04:01 PM
Ya PTWF for the win, I don't even use TWF tiers anymore because of it. If you don't have a crafted dagger, you can use the sacrificial dagger, to (a)chance to level drain and unbuff their stat to assassinate.

For Giants I would also scroll PW Blind(webs don't work/Fascinate/Prismatic traps do), blind them as their running to me, drop into stealth and Assassinate them. That was the most effective technique when spotted to still pull off an assassinate on mobs that spotted you. Bluff works, but a blinded target gets hit with sneak attack longer and you can temporary leave them alone to go towards another mob to gain a chance to double assassinate them. Another trick that seems to work is jump assassinate while in the air as your landing.

These are more advance moves but you can raise your kill count if your interested in pursuing that line.(I'll pull out that playstyle once in a while, so you can be playing aggressively for those that don't like passive sneak and kill) but can get you killed if your not on top of your heals.

Another tip:
when harried and alot of trash is on screen, to get out of that situation, you click your armour/robe shadow phase clicky(you should be already displaced/IUDodged, have already used Jump clicky/scroll on your self earlier), shadow walk, then jump and use your Cannith Boots of Propulsion to push your way out of the death trap. Click on Faster Sneak while in the air or when landing to buy out the time to get out of that deathwalk Flash Mob situation. (of course hitting yourself in the process with at least a RejCoon and trying to bust out a scroll Heal on the way out.

That's the great thing about Rogues is their versatility/utility.
Another thing I rarely do is equip the new Lv30 Limb Chopper Kopesh(Mhand) and use Allegiance(0hand for proficiency use/ or just use the Heroic Limb Chopper Kopesh together and Chop off there limbs so they move at such a slow speed you cause THEM to have Lagggg! and move soo slow and dispatch them at will. That's another melee option you can use(any old STR build with Grazing hits out there?).

What server you guys on? Would be nice for you guys to run together and try out your techniques while the other guy can back you up on an Assassinate Gone Wrong.

I miss the old Assassinate enemy on Vorpal PRe we Rogues use to have on Any weapon, as well as cheat death option, Mechanical Dogs....
I had NO IDEA about Power Word: Blind (http://ddowiki.com/page/Power_Word:_Blind) as a scrollable option. <<loud sigh>>. Will need to explore this, but yes--A most excellent way to assassinate a mob aggroed on you. Does it break invisibility though? I imagine that it would be the case. If so, it would break Weaving in the Fade, whereas Bluff then assassinate does not.

The boost to stealth speed in SD is borked right now since it makes you go insanely fast. I hope they do not fix the bug...

My endgame plan is to have the ToEE armor, not the shadowscale; however, Improved invisibility has a similar effect as does Fade into the Weave from Magister. The problem with Fade into the Weave is that it acts like a spellcast, so it can get interrupted by doing other actions. Annoying. I wonder if having robes is better than having leather armor since the robes could at least be used on a future monk/monk splash combo and, given the grind to get ToEE sets, that might be worth it in itself...Then I could use the Shadowscale robe as a hotswap like you suggest (I know Quezuzu does this very well with his acrobat with a monk splash).

I am on Cannith. I TR'd into a mechanic recently but already hate going ranged. My plan was to grind out another PL for fast healing and then do a nude run from 1-20; from there i would probably return to being an assassin. I really miss the playstyle whenever i get away from it. I just got overwhelmed by all the endgame changes and wanted to hide in heroics for a bit. If you are on Cannith, let me know your character name (mine is Saekee) and I will add you. Often I play for just short bursts due to RL but maybe we could time things. I LOVE grouping with other stealthy players.

SamaelBael
03-26-2016, 12:07 PM
I'd like to point out that Tenser's Transformation (scrolls at least) kick you out of Shadow Walk AND Invisibility.

I tried to boost my dex Assassinate DC a bit too close to a crowd of mobs in solo EE Creeping Death...

DC of 81 and most KOBOLDS resist there...

Saekee
03-26-2016, 12:51 PM
I'd like to point out that Tenser's Transformation (scrolls at least) kick you out of Shadow Walk AND Invisibility.

I tried to boost my dex Assassinate DC a bit too close to a crowd of mobs in solo EE Creeping Death...

DC of 81 and most KOBOLDS resist there...
Whoa! I did not realize this. I used it on an INT assassin so I never used Tenser's. Thanks for the update. I will add it to the OP!

Saekee
05-25-2016, 09:05 AM
One of my favorite forumites here, Livmo, has confirmed that the Shadar-Kai chain attack does not break Shadowwalk or invisibility. See post here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/433902-why-are-Shadar-kai-so-gimped?p=5829159&viewfull=1#post5829159).

Thanks Livmo as always!

Saekee
06-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Can anyone confirm if any of the following break invisibility and/or shadowwalk?:
1) Dire Charge
2) flyby attack (tier 5 draconic)
3) scroll: power word: blind

thank you in advance

SamaelBael
10-23-2016, 05:46 AM
Heard that Reaper mode will not increase DCs. This Technique might become very valuable there.

1)no clue, sry
2)not even damaging with it breaks invis/shadow walk
3)breaks both invis and shadow walk

What would you all add to Cannith crafted assassinate/insightful assassinate gloves and why?

Thinking about going insightful accuracy because I'll never care about it on other equipment and will be useful on dex and int assassins.

P.S.: What happened to youtube's DDO Assassin, Nokowi? His channel is gone.

Saekee
10-23-2016, 07:03 AM
Heard that Reaper mode will not increase DCs. This Technique might become very valuable there.

1)no clue, sry
2)not even damaging with it breaks invis/shadow walk
3)breaks both invis and shadow walk

What would you all add to Cannith crafted assassinate/insightful assassinate gloves and why?

Thinking about going insightful accuracy because I'll never care about it on other equipment and will be useful on dex and int assassins.

P.S.: What happened to youtube's DDO Assassin, Nokowi? His channel is gone.
thanks for testing! Will update OP.
I can't craft at a high enough level for endgame. I do prefer to have the assassinate item to be swappable, so when not assassinating--just meleeing, for ex against bosses--no need to waste the gear slot.

Biggest problem with this technique and champs is true sight.

Nokowi mentioned in another post that he had deleted his YouTube videos. I do not understand why, since they were perfectly valid; some older build ones--maybe--but his research on Improved deception, for example, was valuable. Sometimes people delete lots of stuff in a fit of melancholy, idk.

SamaelBael
10-23-2016, 12:11 PM
thanks for testing! Will update OP.

My pleasure. I'm a fan of this thread and the Flaming Sphere one as well.

I can't craft at a high enough level for endgame. I do prefer to have the assassinate item to be swappable, so when not assassinating--just meleeing, for ex against bosses--no need to waste the gear slot.

I can't craft that yet either, just wishful thinking. All the Cannith shards need a huge amount of collectables. I am quite happy with my lvl 23 seeker, insightful seeker and 18 spot goggles though^^

Already switching enough gear around, I keep the gloves on even against bosses.

Biggest problem with this technique and champs is true sight.

The old jump-bluff-stealth-land-assassinate trick should still work though. I would do that more often but would need to switch gear mid-action. Maybe ill find a +15 bluff augment sometime...

Nokowi mentioned in another post that he had deleted his YouTube videos. I do not understand why, since they were perfectly valid; some older build ones--maybe--but his research on Improved deception, for example, was valuable. Sometimes people delete lots of stuff in a fit of melancholy, idk.

Thx for the info.

Saekee
10-23-2016, 12:27 PM
My pleasure. I'm a fan of this thread and the Flaming Sphere one as well.

I can't craft that yet either, just wishful thinking. All the Cannith shards need a huge amount of collectables. I am quite happy with my lvl 23 seeker, insightful seeker and 18 spot goggles though^^

Already switching enough gear around, I keep the gloves on even against bosses.

The old jump-bluff-stealth-land-assassinate trick should still work though. I would do that more often but would need to switch gear mid-action. Maybe ill find a +15 bluff augment sometime...

Thx for the info.
Thank you! If you have any suggested uses for the Flaming Sphere scrolls in any of the newest content of the past 5 months (I have not been able to explore much of the new content due to RL and also my main is currently on a Vow of Poverty--will see about the new quests in a couple of months).

SamaelBael
10-23-2016, 12:55 PM
We didn't mention that bash-able doors can be opened via lock-picking, did we?

Saekee
10-23-2016, 02:37 PM
We didn't mention that bash-able doors can be opened via lock-picking, did we?

yeah, that belongs in the Assassin's Handbook. Someone with lots of time needs to write one.

It is so much smarter to pick those doors so that the mobs inside are not alerted

SamaelBael
10-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Switched some things around, Dire Charge breaks nothing. Stealth, Invisibility and Shadow Walk all persist through a successful attack.
I'd like to mention that Sap (15s CD, 18 {non-SA} to 30s {from Sneak Attack position} duration, no save, daze breaks on damage) kicks you out of all 3 of the above.

Assassinate, insightful assassinate and insightful stunning fit together on CC gloves. ^^

Saekee
10-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Switched some things around, Dire Charge breaks nothing. Stealth, Invisibility and Shadow Walk all persist through a successful attack.
I'd like to mention that Sap (15s CD, 18 {non-SA} to 30s {from Sneak Attack position} duration, no save, daze breaks on damage) kicks you out of all 3 of the above.

Assassinate, insightful assassinate and insightful stunning fit together on CC gloves. ^^
Thanks for improving this thread so much! Will update the OP

Saekee
10-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Typically, assassins do not have access to Eldritch Strike. However, my Prowler build does and Eldritch strike does not break invisibility, nor does it break Shadow Walk. Probably a bug...