PDA

View Full Version : Thunder-forged

Xathris
10-27-2015, 10:17 AM
I now have 2 Tier 1 thunder-forged kopeshs, thanks to a lot of helpful players! One has 1st degree burns, and one has Touch of Shadows.

Which augments should they have (I'm a Sword and Board Pally lvl25 in US right now)?

How should I upgrade them further, and why, when I hit lvl26?

Thanks!

phalaeo
10-29-2015, 07:17 AM
I now have 2 Tier 1 thunder-forged kopeshs, thanks to a lot of helpful players! One has 1st degree burns, and one has Touch of Shadows.

Which augments should they have (I'm a Sword and Board Pally lvl25 in US right now)?

How should I upgrade them further, and why, when I hit lvl26?

Thanks!

I've read a lot of advice on what properties are "the best" for your first TF. Most people seem to agree that (at least for the first, generalized weapon) First Degree Burns, Dragon's Edge, and Mortal Fear are the way to go. This is what I did for my first, and it's a solid option. Mortal Fear does not work on red names, but it's very useful on Elite trash mobs.

EDIT: I missed the "and why?" part of your question.

Dragon's Edge because it's the highest value of Armor Piercing in the game. You don't need the caster spell school foci. Which leaves middling AOE damage- I'm not a fan of random AOE damage on a main weapon. These are particularly lousy options because it's a *chance* to proc, and then the mob gets to make a saving throw for half damage. Not worth it.

Mortal Fear because it gives a (fairly decent) chance of cutting the mob's current health in half. So, running Elite with a 50K HP orange named and it procs in the first few hits, you've just done 25K HP worth of damage. Plus, there's a force damage component. So, it really takes a chunk out of those high HP trash mobs.

Paralyzing is a good option- I don't have one, but a few guildies do and it seems effective. I've also heard a few folks say they like the Draconic Reinvigoration for longer quests/raids.

Augments....

Utility options:
It really depends on your gear setup and what you're looking for. Some folks who run in Divine Crusader will slot Combustion for Consecration, Devotion is a good option for self-healing types.... and if you can get a Heal +15 colourless augment....

DPS/other options:
I really like the Ruby of Endless Night, other people in guild prefer the Meteoric Star Ruby or one of the "Ruby Eye of the (Element)".

What content do you run, and on what difficulty? If you TR right at 28, you may want to keep the Level 26 version. Are you running raids, Elites, just more casual groups? That can help narrow down an answer.

FuzzyDuck81
10-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Augment-wise, i'd suggest having a spellpower augment slotted (though as a sword & board guy, put it there instead) - probably devotion, or maybe combustion for use in divine crusader - not only will you get the spellpower bonus from that but it'll make it a spellcasting implement too, which will give 21+ extra universal spellpower, never a bad thing.

For straight-up damage-dealing augments, meteoric star is the current top of the pack IMO since it does good damage (dependent on the ML of the weapon) & has the knockdown chance, but it does have the AoE issue where you might not want to get multiple things at once - as a melee this will be less of a problem though it can be nasty for ranged characters. For single-target, maybe look into going for the crushing wave augment.

Marshal_Lannes
10-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Hey Xathris, just be aware that mortal fear is under consideration for being nerfed, so I would hold off on making that your T3 ability until you see what it looks like post nerf.

For tier 2 Dragon's Blessing is a nice addition for a S&B Paladin giving a healing proc around you. Excellent for tank style characters it seems. Paralyzing Fear is a good effect for a lower DPS character. Wrath of Shadows is good dps vs lots of things because few things can resist negative damage (not good against undead of course).

phalaeo
10-30-2015, 05:26 AM
Hey Xathris, just be aware that mortal fear is under consideration for being nerfed, so I would hold off on making that your T3 ability until you see what it looks like post nerf.

For tier 2 Dragon's Blessing is a nice addition for a S&B Paladin giving a healing proc around you. Excellent for tank style characters it seems. Paralyzing Fear is a good effect for a lower DPS character. Wrath of Shadows is good dps vs lots of things because few things can resist negative damage (not good against undead of course).

As I understand, it's not a nerf of the enchantment, just that it won't work in the new Level 31+ quests.

RobbinB
10-30-2015, 12:46 PM
As I understand, it's not a nerf of the enchantment, just that it won't work in the new Level 31+ quests.

Is there a bigger nerf than "doesn't do anything"?

Tahkhesis
10-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Nerfing Mortal fear is hands down the most idiotic thing I have ever heard in my DDO life. Let it be. Don't listen to idiots who don't want to put in time, energy, or stamina because they have 50000 toons. It's finally a thing that has been around that i8s worth working for, and to make it less than what it is hurts my face. Nah. That's a bad idea, and I am typically the devs biggest cheerleaders. The forum voices are getting too much though where the vocal minority is speaking for people playing since beta, and that sucks. I should be more vocal myself, so I'm at fault, but this is a legit nerf and it is friggin' nonsense.

AbyssalMage
10-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Nerfing Mortal fear is hands down the most idiotic thing I have ever heard in my DDO life.
Ranks up there with Vorpal/Terror and a few others IMHO. Considering they all got nerfed though, it was only a matter of time for MF.

Grailhawk
10-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Ranks up there with Vorpal/Terror and a few others IMHO. Considering they all got nerfed though, it was only a matter of time for MF.

QTF.

I'm pretty sure some one asked the devs how long it would be before MF got the vorpal nerf with in days of the release if not the day. Actually think the compared it to Nightmare.

Turtlsdown
11-02-2015, 03:17 AM
Nerfing Mortal fear is hands down the most idiotic thing I have ever heard in my DDO life. Let it be. Don't listen to idiots who don't want to put in time, energy, or stamina because they have 50000 toons. It's finally a thing that has been around that i8s worth working for, and to make it less than what it is hurts my face. Nah. That's a bad idea, and I am typically the devs biggest cheerleaders. The forum voices are getting too much though where the vocal minority is speaking for people playing since beta, and that sucks. I should be more vocal myself, so I'm at fault, but this is a legit nerf and it is friggin' nonsense.

Completely agreed. There isn't a single good positive reason to do this. It literally doesn't help anyone or the game itself in any way, other than to **** people off that have expended a lot of effort into getting legit T3 upgrade. Certainly won't help retain or encourage new players. If this game was a PvP game, it would be important to change (or more likely the effect would never have been added) but we are, all of us, PvE here. Nerfing this effect is a step in the wrong direction, and this applies to any similar decision, not necessarily just for Mortal Fear. Balance the things that are breaking boss fights, dungeons/instances/quests, etc. Don't future proof the game by arbitrarily negating effort players put into it. We are not talking about the RNG gods smiling on you and you get a lucky WoP drop, we are talking about farming a rare crafting material until your eyes bleed (yeah, those raids can be like that for many players, especially the shadow one).

If you do this, at least give us a Obsidian Dopant to break down the weapons like heroic greensteel, or drastically increase the droprate for T3 phlogs. Although, I gotta tell ya, even this will still be a kick in the jimmies for people that already earned their T3's or are just on the cusp of FINALLY getting one crafted.

Xathris
11-02-2015, 07:07 AM
Should I not even bother with Tier 3? I have three phlogions (sp?) at this moment.

Miow
11-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Should I not even bother with Tier 3? I have three phlogions (sp?) at this moment.

I wouldn't it's so much work to build one item.

RobbinB
11-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Completely agreed. There isn't a single good positive reason to do this. It literally doesn't help anyone or the game itself in any way, other than to **** people off that have expended a lot of effort into getting legit T3 upgrade. Certainly won't help retain or encourage new players. If this game was a PvP game, it would be important to change (or more likely the effect would never have been added) but we are, all of us, PvE here. Nerfing this effect is a step in the wrong direction, and this applies to any similar decision, not necessarily just for Mortal Fear. Balance the things that are breaking boss fights, dungeons/instances/quests, etc. Don't future proof the game by arbitrarily negating effort players put into it. We are not talking about the RNG gods smiling on you and you get a lucky WoP drop, we are talking about farming a rare crafting material until your eyes bleed (yeah, those raids can be like that for many players, especially the shadow one).

If you do this, at least give us a Obsidian Dopant to break down the weapons like heroic greensteel, or drastically increase the droprate for T3 phlogs. Although, I gotta tell ya, even this will still be a kick in the jimmies for people that already earned their T3's or are just on the cusp of FINALLY getting one crafted.

There are good reasons to nerf mortal fear. But nerf as in adjust or balance it, not make it useless. So either fix the (I'm assuming unintended) effect of sense weakness and similar abilities or slightly adjust the proc rate and % hp amounts, ie tweak those amounts. Making MF simply "not work" in content above a certain level isn't an appropriate adjustment to make. And yes, some sort of deconstruction scheme would be appreciated for those who believe a slight tweak is "doom". That way, once the dust settles it will be quickly apparent whether mortal fear has been balanced or "made useless" and no one can play the "all my work was wasted" card.

This is similar to the great stat-damage over-nerf several years ago. Many agreed that some sort of nerf was appropriate, but the huge double nerf that hit essentially made those weapons useless. And it was very frustrating since it was immediately apparent that the nerf was overdone and could easily have been tweaked sooner rather than later (or really really later as it turned out).