PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Third Favored soul Tree. Blackguard!

Jetrule
10-07-2015, 09:35 AM
I have Lately been reading The Prince of Thorns trilogy by Mark Lawrence. I was struck by the protagonist anti hero who I believe to have been inspired by D&D's Black guard class. I wondered why no Blackguard class was available In DDO. with Assassins and Pale masters, Ninja spies and warlocks running amok why not a Blackguard to add to the cast of anti heroes?

I think the best place to put the tree in the current state of DDo is in the gaping hole in Favored soul. I Came up with a outline for the tree based on 3.5 D&D but souped up to hang with recent class revamps and Warlocks. What do the forumites think? Any dev feedback would also be appreciated.

When I designed the tree my most glaring omission was leaving out a fiendish summon. This is because I felt doing it right would be a lot of work for something most players wouldn't want. However I did put in a Undead summon, quick and easy sla style, and think it would be useful and fun in heroics.

The biggest change was to the main class ability of smite good. I felt there aren't enough good enemies to warrant this in DDO. So I Stuck it in tier 5 as a activated attack and kept some of the flavor by making it more effective against non evil but still pretty good against evil opponents.

The Tree going in The Favored soul class rather than Fighter where it might more naturally belong left me wanting to make it a good class for warrior types or caster types. I think it could be a solid main tree and repopularize favorite Soul if implemented.

I also considered doing a stand alone tree like harper scout. However I went with making it a prestige of Favored soul because there is a real need for a third tree in the class that compliments the other classes or works as a main tree.

Blackguard Favored soul tree proposal

Cores

Core 1: Requires 1 level Of favored soul. Dark blessing. For each core in Blackguard The character may add 3 points of her Charisma bonus to her saves. The black guard gains +1 to hit and damage and all spell dc’s when targeting non evil opponents.

Core 2: Requires 3 levels of blackguard. Command Undead. The black guard gains the turn undead feat as a paladin. The Turning results in a charmed undead for 1 minute rather than a turned undead. The black guard gains +2 total to hit/damage and spell dc’s versus non evil opponents.

Core 3: Requires 6 levels of favored soul. Shroud of the Vampire. As the 6th level pale master core.

Core 4: Requires 12 levels of favored soul: Lay on hands. Gain the feat Lay On Hands, as paladin lay on hands but channels Negative energy. +10 negative spell power, light/alignment spell power and +5 melee/ranged power passive.

Core 5: Requires 18 levels of favored soul. -Dark Might- +1 competence bonus to weapon critical multiplier and +20% critical damage to spells. Passive +3 total hit and damage versus non evil opponents and +3 total spell dc’s versus non evil opponents.

Core 6: Requires 20 levels Favored soul 40 points spent in tree. -Hells Angel - A action boost That provides Fire shield (flames), dodge +10 and dodge cap+10, and +20 profane bonus to Prr and Mrr Lasts 1 minute 90 second cool down. Passive +10 stacking negative and alignment/light spell power. +5 ranged/melee power and +4 Charisma.

Enhancements

Tier 1:

Dark blade- Ap cost 2 Gain the spell Enchant weapon.

Charismatic soul- Ap cost 1, ranks 3. +1 diplomacy bluff and intimidate for ranks 1 and 2. Rank 3 provides +1 bonus to all Charisma skills.

Cold Blooded- Ap cost 1, ranks 3. +5 fire resistance per rank.

Flame forged- Ap cost 1, ranks 3. +2 ac and prr mrr per rank.

Touch of pain - Ap cost 1, ranks 3 Cast Inflict moderate wounds as a SLA Activation cost 4/3/2 Cooldown 6/5/4

Tier 2:

Dark Arts- Ap cost 1, ranks 3. +5 negative and alignment/light spell power per rank

Dark Blade 2- Ap cost 2 ranks 1. Requires dark blade +1 enhancement bonus to main hand weapon.

Improved Turning- Ap cost 1, ranks 3. You count as 1-2-3 levels higher when turning. Add. 2-4-6 to hd of undead turned.

Sneak attack training 1- Ap cost 2, ranks 1. Gain the sneak attack feat 1d6 damage. (Scales with melee power per usual.)

Tier 3.

Dark Arts 2- Ap cost 1, ranks 3. + 5-10-15 bonus to negative and alignment/light spell power.

Call the undead- Ap cost 1, ranks 3. SLA create undead spell. Cool down 2minute-1 minute-30 seconds cost 35-25-15 sp. Will function as a minimum level 10 even when under level 10 caster lvl. Caster level beyond 10 functions normally.

Sneak attack training 2- Ap cost 2 ranks 1. Additional d6 damage (Scales with melee power per usual.)

Dark Blade 3- Ap cost 1, ranks 3. Requires Dark blade 2. Toggle, Main hand weapon now does poison damage d4 d6 d8 scales with 100% negative energy power.

Strength/Charisma Training- Ap cost 2, ranks 1.+2 Strength or Charisma.

Tier 4
Dark arts 3- Ap cost 2 Ranks 3. Requires Dark arts 2. + 2/4/7% spell critical chance for alignment/light and negative energy spells.

Sneak attack training 3- Ap cost 2 Rank 1. Requires Sneak attack training 2.Provides a additional 2d6 sneak attack damage for a total of 4d6.(Scales with melee power per usual.)

Dark Blade 4- Ap cost 2 Ranks 3. Main hand weapon does D6/2D6/3D6 Evil damage Scales with 100% Alignment spell power.

Strength/Charisma Training 2- Ap cost 2, ranks,1. +1 to Str or Cha.

Tier 5
Hateful Touch- Ap 2, ranks3. Extra lay on hands use. 1-2-3 per rest. Lay on hand does a additional 100/150/200 negative energy.

Master of The Dark Arts- Requires Dark arts 3. Ap cost 1, ranks 3. Harmful spell cast on damage does a additional 2D6-4D6-6D6 evil damage. Scales with +50% +100% +150%alignment spell Power.

Hell Smite- Ap 1, ranks 3. Multi selector ranged or Melee. Requires dark blade 4. Attack +1w-+3w+5w +2+4+6 critical range bonus. Adds Charisma to hit and Favored soul level to damage. Dose a additional 2D10- 4D10- 6D10 Evil damage That Scales with 100%-150%-200% alignment spell power. This alignment damage is doubled against non evil opponents. 12-10-8 second cool down.

Aura of Despair- Ap cost 2, ranks 1 . Toggle. Radiate a aura or despair at 10 feet around yourself. Enemies who come within the Aura suffer -2 to saves which persists for 6 seconds after leaving the aura. In adition enemies with in the Aura suffer -10 to melee power and prr/mrr.

Gljosh
10-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Very interesting, I don't know if it would work out well with a FvS. Thematically it is AWESOME! Lots of great pieces, has a nice undead/necromancer vibe to it. Also, FvS don't have a real use for the Turn Undead ability, normally it is used to fuel other abilities.

Now if you used the older "evil" cleric using Turn Undead to control Undead that would be VERY INTERESTING!

I love the Blackguard (somewhat evil Paladin) prestige class and concept...this could be an amazing bonus tree (like Harper).

Jetrule
10-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Very interesting, I don't know if it would work out well with a FvS. Thematically it is AWESOME! Lots of great pieces, has a nice undead/necromancer vibe to it. Also, FvS don't have a real use for the Turn Undead ability, normally it is used to fuel other abilities.

Now if you used the older "evil" cleric using Turn Undead to control Undead that would be VERY INTERESTING!

I love the Blackguard (somewhat evil Paladin) prestige class and concept...this could be an amazing bonus tree (like Harper).

I thought about it as a stand alone bonus tree If it were to go that route it would have to be toned down in the power level. It would crush with bard or pali. It would be ok with fighter or wizard, Favored soul works even if it is fitting a round peg in a oval hole. I think it fits well with a Favored Soul thematically. The Blackguard is just favored by team evil.

I also had the turn undead feat worked in to charm undead rather than turn them. I will re edit for that.

lifestaker
10-07-2015, 06:11 PM
looks fine, but as said, not sure if best fit for fvs. Would make for a fun mutt builds. Favored warlock, monkguards, and blackwolfs are just the ones that jumped first to mind that would get a good jump, not to mention just fvs themselves. would not be surprised to see the pally/blackguard builds either.

Uska
10-08-2015, 12:53 AM
Shouldnt be done period but if black guard were to be done it should be paladin

eachna_gislin
11-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Shouldnt be done period but if black guard were to be done it should be paladin

I understand why the OP put it here, but I agree it shouldn't be a Favored Soul tree. favored souls should not get Turn Undead. It is the only thing clerics have that fvs don't have.

For that matter, Turn Undead should not become part of a pay prestige anyone can use. Healing has been handed out to every class in the game, giving away Turn Undead leaves clerics with nothing "special" they can do in game. I realize paladins have it, but there's a huge difference between one other class and every class that buys a prestige tree.

If someone could build the tree without Turn Undead it would be cool either for FvS or as a pay prestige. Or it could be rebuilt for a unique tree for paladins (who are stuck sharing two with fighters).