PDA

View Full Version : New Shapes for Druids

Godfrei
09-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Can we get different animal shapes for druids, like panthers, lions or even minotaurs and other creatues? A druid that can transforms into a Griffon, that is nice!

PsychoBlonde
09-25-2015, 12:17 AM
Can we get different animal shapes for druids, like panthers, lions or even minotaurs and other creatues? A druid that can transforms into a Griffon, that is nice!

Druids are only supposed to be able to transform into "normal" animals. So monstrous humanoids like Minotaurs would be out, and Griffons (magical beast) would be out. (Although there are sourcebooks out that allow you to take feats to stretch what you can transform into.)

Grimm from Grimm and Barrett makes me want a rat form, though. (especially since the form size scales with your racial size--tiny halfling rat druid ftw!) At least the common animals that are present in the game--lion, rat, wolf, bear.

Enderoc
09-25-2015, 12:20 AM
Druids are only supposed to be able to transform into "normal" animals. So monstrous humanoids like Minotaurs would be out, and Griffons (magical beast) would be out. (Although there are sourcebooks out that allow you to take feats to stretch what you can transform into.)

Grimm from Grimm and Barrett makes me want a rat form, though. (especially since the form size scales with your racial size--tiny halfling rat druid ftw!) At least the common animals that are present in the game--lion, rat, wolf, bear.
Bat would be better than a rat as far as utility goes...with severe penalties in combat. Of course that would be a zergers wet dream and would feel kind of similar to the scene where Luke is flying through all sorts of Hazards just to take the final shot to destroy the death star. So if they allow bat, they should make it so you become extra squishy.

FranOhmsford
09-25-2015, 12:31 AM

How are Fire and Water Elementals Normal Animals?

Dire Bears and Winter Wolves don't count as Normal Animals either? {Winter Wolves especially are Intelligent and Evil creatures!}.

The issue with the OP's suggestion though is that Druids in DDO don't transform into an animal for a single fight where that form is needed {or for any other specific reason based on circumstances}.
They choose a form at creation and basically spend their lives in that form {Dire Bear and Winter Wolf are simply stronger forms of the standard Bear and Wolf}.
Caster Druids have to wait longer to get their form but once they've got it they're never going to be in Bear or Wolf form again!

So what's the point in adding new forms when that would mean having to add new Enhancement Trees for those forms?

Better to ask that the Devs:
1) Fix Wolf Form!
2) Make Bear Form worth using!
3) Give Druid Casters some Love too!

Alisonique
09-25-2015, 05:58 AM

Amen to that brother

PsychoBlonde
09-25-2015, 01:39 PM
So what's the point in adding new forms when that would mean having to add new Enhancement Trees for those forms?

They don't have separate enhancement trees for the forms now. And they've already stated that they intend to add a 3rd druid tree and fix how the forms work, so that'd be the perfect time to add a new form. And, yes, high level druids can transform into elementals. I'd like to see air and earth elemental forms, myself.

I think the flying animation on a bat form would be problematic (it's already hard enough to do jumps etc. in wolf and bear form because you can't see where the game actually thinks your feet are). Rat would make a nice high-speed, super-stealthy form. It should do low damage but attack very quickly. Not sure what the "upgrade" of rat ought to be. Maybe some kind of poisonous rat thing? That'd be neat.

Actually, one thing they could do to fix the forms would be to have a weapon style dedicated to each animal form. So Rat form would work with Single Weapon fighting, Wolf form would work with Two Weapon Fighting, and Bear form would get AoE glancing blows and work with Two Handed Fighting. Since the weapon style would be bound to the form, they wouldn't have to worry about trying to restrict you from taking the feats or having weird overlaps with what type of weapons you were actually "wielding". From there, they really just need to have more +[w] bonuses available at higher levels.

I agree that people don't generally switch forms on a Druid very much--they pick one and go with it. So what they should do is to let you take more improved versions of the forms as you level instead of making you choose forms that you're not going to use. So, it'd look something like this:

2nd level: Wild Shape Bear, Wolf, or Rat
5th level: Wild Shape Dire Bear (if you already have bear), Winter Wolf (if you already have wolf), Carrion Eater (if you already have rat), Bear, Wolf, or Rat
8th level: Greater Dire Bear (+W for bear form), Greater Winter Wolf (+W for wolf form), Greater Carrion Eater (+w for rat form) or any of the others you qualify for.
13th level: Fire Elemental, Water Elemental, more +W options for the animal forms, or you can take anything you don't have access to already.
17th level: Greater Fire Elemental, Greater Water Elemental, more +w options for the animal forms, or you can take anything you don't have access to already.

Basically you have an option to upgrade one of your existing forms rather than take a new one if you so choose.

FranOhmsford
09-25-2015, 01:46 PM
They don't have separate enhancement trees for the forms now. And they've already stated that they intend to add a 3rd druid tree and fix how the forms work, so that'd be the perfect time to add a new form. And, yes, high level druids can transform into elementals. I'd like to see air and earth elemental forms, myself.

I think the flying animation on a bat form would be problematic (it's already hard enough to do jumps etc. in wolf and bear form because you can't see where the game actually thinks your feet are). Rat would make a nice high-speed, super-stealthy form. It should do low damage but attack very quickly. Not sure what the "upgrade" of rat ought to be. Maybe some kind of poisonous rat thing? That'd be neat.

Actually, one thing they could do to fix the forms would be to have a weapon style dedicated to each animal form. So Rat form would work with Single Weapon fighting, Wolf form would work with Two Weapon Fighting, and Bear form would get AoE glancing blows and work with Two Handed Fighting. Since the weapon style would be bound to the form, they wouldn't have to worry about trying to restrict you from taking the feats or having weird overlaps with what type of weapons you were actually "wielding". From there, they really just need to have more +[w] bonuses available at higher levels.

I agree that people don't generally switch forms on a Druid very much--they pick one and go with it. So what they should do is to let you take more improved versions of the forms as you level instead of making you choose forms that you're not going to use. So, it'd look something like this:

2nd level: Wild Shape Bear, Wolf, or Rat
5th level: Wild Shape Dire Bear (if you already have bear), Winter Wolf (if you already have wolf), Carrion Eater (if you already have rat), Bear, Wolf, or Rat
8th level: Greater Dire Bear (+W for bear form), Greater Winter Wolf (+W for wolf form), Greater Carrion Eater (+w for rat form) or any of the others you qualify for.
13th level: Fire Elemental, Water Elemental, more +W options for the animal forms, or you can take anything you don't have access to already.
17th level: Greater Fire Elemental, Greater Water Elemental, more +w options for the animal forms, or you can take anything you don't have access to already.

Basically you have an option to upgrade one of your existing forms rather than take a new one if you so choose.

How about maybe letting the casters have a form they can use BEFORE Lvl 13?

How about Mephit form?

2nd Level: Ice, Fire, Air, Sand
5th Level: Greater Versions.
8th Level: Pure Versions.

And for Earth Druids you could allow Earth based Spells to work properly with no penalties even in Animal Forms.

PsychoBlonde
09-25-2015, 05:41 PM
How about maybe letting the casters have a form they can use BEFORE Lvl 13?

Why, it takes them almost that long to get any worthwhile spells anyway.

How about Mephit form?

2nd Level: Ice, Fire, Air, Sand
5th Level: Greater Versions.
8th Level: Pure Versions.

Not bad. Mephit then elemental. Could be cool.

My housemate said that the upgrade for Rat form should be Porcupine. (Or possibly Hedgehog.) And it should get a ranged attack. Shooting quills out of its butt. Like a repeating crossbow. Only quills.

The_Human_Cypher
09-25-2015, 07:33 PM

I had suggested the panther earlier, along with a lion or tiger. Maybe for some jungle themed adventure pack in the future. ;)

Uska
09-25-2015, 10:54 PM
How are Fire and Water Elementals Normal Animals?

Dire Bears and Winter Wolves don't count as Normal Animals either? {Winter Wolves especially are Intelligent and Evil creatures!}.

The issue with the OP's suggestion though is that Druids in DDO don't transform into an animal for a single fight where that form is needed {or for any other specific reason based on circumstances}.
They choose a form at creation and basically spend their lives in that form {Dire Bear and Winter Wolf are simply stronger forms of the standard Bear and Wolf}.
Caster Druids have to wait longer to get their form but once they've got it they're never going to be in Bear or Wolf form again!

Better to ask that the Devs:
1) Fix Wolf Form!
2) Make Bear Form worth using!

Druids get normal animals plus Elementals as shapes

Deviston
09-27-2015, 10:15 AM
+1 more shapes. If devs need ideas I have this ancient tome right here they can borrow. It's called Duhnjins ant Jragohns Three Poynt Fife. Has a tale in it about a mystical person who has a deep connection with nature and can change shapes into a bunch of different animals. They even list the animals to start with. Just a thought.

Lonnbeimnech
09-27-2015, 11:04 AM
+1 more shapes. If devs need ideas I have this ancient tome right here they can borrow. It's called Duhnjins ant Jragohns Three Poynt Fife. Has a tale in it about a mystical person who has a deep connection with nature and can change shapes into a bunch of different animals. They even list the animals to start with. Just a thought.

Other than the abuse like turning into dinosaurs that your druid would have no knowledge of, or making a bear that can turn into a bear that can turn into a bear to get the stacking strength bonuses. You are left with things like turning into a sparrow to scout a battle field, or turning into a fish to scout an underwater passage or turning into a monkey for climb bonus. It's mostly for versatility rather than combat.