PDA

View Full Version : Mounts in DDO

Godfrei
09-24-2015, 09:44 PM
I am not sure if this was already discussed in here before, probably yes, anyway, I would like to suggest to have mounts in DDO, as we have in other online games. It would be interesting. Are there any plans for this kind of thing?

The_Human_Cypher
09-25-2015, 12:38 AM
No. Mounts would only make sense in an open instanced game, which DDO is not.

FranOhmsford
09-25-2015, 12:50 AM
My Paladins still want their Warhorses!

If the Devs can give Druids and Artis Dogs then they can give Paladins Horses!

Heck they can even allow us to ride them in Wildernesses {Think of Riding through an Empty Vale of Twilight or Storm Horns!}.

Memnir
09-25-2015, 01:31 AM
Mounts would be an utter and complete waste of time in DDO.

Uska
09-25-2015, 05:23 AM
Not appropriate for ddo

Dandonk
09-25-2015, 06:12 AM
I'm not sure I see the point. I wow or clones, sure - you run around for ages to do quests and stuff. But in DDO? Takes something like two minutes to get to the furthest quest entrance.

Now... mounts for use in battle... well, would be cool, I guess, but I'm pretty sure the amount of work required to make this work would plunge the game into another V&M hole.

cdbd3rd
09-25-2015, 06:34 AM
My Paladins still want their Warhorses!

If the Devs can give Druids and Artis Dogs then they can give Paladins Horses!...

Fair enough.

I hereby support companion Shetland Ponies for the paladins. :cool:

Warhorse Companions, in cosmetic barding:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/27ac32e817a030578a252852310fc44a/tumblr_mh6s1mtzLE1qd3bpyo1_540.jpg

edit - additional cosmetics, availability TBA:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/kickapoo/Button/ButtonHalloweenAngel20001small.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/kickapoo/Apache/ApacheXmas1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/kickapoo/Button/ButtonHalloweenWitch10001small.jpg

Gljosh
09-25-2015, 08:44 AM
Well seeing as how hirelings work...it would be hard to tell if you are lag stuck or if the mount is glitched.

BUT instead of a single mount...lets use Companion Cosmetic Pets as "sled dogs".

Just imagine your character behind a sled (ddo store only) being pulled by a rust monster, beholder, scorpion, and little bear (ability to use multiple cosmetic pets is available in ddo store only).

kned225
09-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Well seeing as how hirelings work...it would be hard to tell if you are lag stuck or if the mount is glitched.

BUT instead of a single mount...lets use Companion Cosmetic Pets as "sled dogs".

Just imagine your character behind a sled (ddo store only) being pulled by a rust monster, beholder, scorpion, and little bear (ability to use multiple cosmetic pets is available in ddo store only).

How can something be so much yes and so much no at the same time?

FranOhmsford
09-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Fair enough.

I hereby support companion Shetland Ponies for the paladins. :cool:

OK so Halfling Paladin for the win then!

Warhorse Companions, in cosmetic barding:
[CENTER]
http://41.media.tumblr.com/27ac32e817a030578a252852310fc44a/tumblr_mh6s1mtzLE1qd3bpyo1_540.jpg

Nice

edit - additional cosmetics, availability TBA:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/kickapoo/Button/ButtonHalloweenAngel20001small.jpg

Ahhhhhh!

Annex
09-25-2015, 03:06 PM
DDO's sister game, Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO), added war steeds and mounted combat back in 2012. Each class can select from three types of war steed--Light, Medium, and Heavy. Each class also gained three trait trees specifically for mounted combat. The system very much divided the community.

War steeds travel very quickly in a straight line but turn poorly, even with enhancements. Though somewhat realistic, lack of maneuverability caused many to complain. The very high speed of the mounts pushed the game engine beyond its previous limits resulting in omnipresent complaints about lag when using war steeds. Classes gain new trait trees and skills when mounted, and thus play very differently than on foot, also generating many complaints. Finally, the high speed of war steeds, their lack of maneuverability, and the density of mounted enemies results in many players activating too many opponents at once, usually resulting in a quick defeat. (LOTRO characters retreat when defeated, rather than suffering death.)

As with any new system, some people loved it, some hated it, and the majority dealt with it. Due to the nature of questing in LOTRO, it is difficult to completely avoid mounted combat and this aspect chased off some players.

I happen to enjoy mounted combat but it means creating and supporting an entirely new system, including mounted combat 'dungeons', that only a portion of players will embrace. It also means sucking up a huge amount of developer time, both in implementation and maintenance, in a game that already includes many languishing systems in need of attention. It sounds great in theory, but in my opinion, I seriously doubt a major system like mounted combat would ultimately help DDO's longevity*. Again in my opinion, DDO developers should play to the game's strengths--tremendous variation in character design, interesting and intricate dungeons, and expansive, often quirky treasure tables.

* I could see less resource intensive systems like cosmetics and housing helping the game without dividing the player base, but that is another discussion.

Ralmeth
09-25-2015, 06:52 PM
In an ideal world, mounts in DDO would be awesome! All of the explorer zones could be redesigned for mounts, and we could use explorer zones to travel from one town to the next, if multiple towns and new adventure areas were to be added. It would be awesome, however I question there would be good return on investment, so I don't think it would make sense. It probably makes more sense for the developers to continue making quests and revamping classes that need an update.

Saekee
09-25-2015, 09:06 PM
We can put in a 'stables' room on the guildships. That is only where the mounts exist. You can ride them
in there for a nice screenie.

The ONLY way I would support mounts is if players could get knocked off them when going through doorways. I would love to see a pally decked out in plate on a warhorse and BANG is on his/her back because of the door height. Which would be all dungeons, heh.
Horse runs off, too...

UurlockYgmeov
09-25-2015, 09:10 PM
https://38.media.tumblr.com/ee1bc44624178bc23f2c9c08529d9ad5/tumblr_ntt3d3IyeU1qz5q5lo1_500.gif:cool:

Saekee
09-25-2015, 09:17 PM
https://38.media.tumblr.com/ee1bc44624178bc23f2c9c08529d9ad5/tumblr_ntt3d3IyeU1qz5q5lo1_500.gif:cool:
Excellent solution! A hireling with coconuts!

UurlockYgmeov
09-25-2015, 10:59 PM
Excellent solution! A hireling with coconuts!

better yet - a pet that clopps coconuts when you move! :P

Memnir
09-25-2015, 11:43 PM
New idea:

Create a new Iconic Class: Celestial Mount.

http://i.imgur.com/R7Wpbmy.jpg

Don't just have a mount. Be the mount.

UurlockYgmeov
09-25-2015, 11:49 PM
New idea:

+1 just do be ONE with the mount! ;):eek::rolleyes::p:cool:;p

Flavilandile
09-26-2015, 06:58 AM
While mounts have a sensein a high fantasy setting like DDO, like others I don't think them of any use in DDO.
Even going from Reaver's Refuge to Wheloon ( probably one of the longest run in game ) without using any teleport rod/spell or a key takes less than 5 minutes.

In an open world where it can take hours to go from one point to the other running it would have made sense... but that's not the case of DDO.

Also in most of the quests they would be useless as said quests are set up in dungeons...

Gljosh
09-29-2015, 01:31 PM
New idea:

So add Unicorn to the cosmetic hat list?

Keeping with the theme of being the mount... Halfling rider cosmetic hat? Kinda like the Quori spider one from old Mabar...but a Halfing with a little chair.

Missing_Minds
09-29-2015, 01:37 PM
DDO's sister game, Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO), added war steeds and mounted combat back in 2012. Each class can select from three types of war steed--Light, Medium, and Heavy. Each class also gained three trait trees specifically for mounted combat. The system very much divided the community.
They did... and if I recall correctly, didn't they give up on that in later updates such that there wasn't any new mounted combat at all or some such?

salmag
09-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Our enemies have mounted combat in the final Droaam Quest.

Vellrad
09-29-2015, 02:30 PM

War steeds travel very quickly in a straight line but turn poorly, even with enhancements. Though somewhat realistic, lack of maneuverability caused many to complain. The very high speed of the mounts pushed the game engine beyond its previous limits resulting in omnipresent complaints about lag when using war steeds. Classes gain new trait trees and skills when mounted, and thus play very differently than on foot, also generating many complaints. Finally, the high speed of war steeds, their lack of maneuverability, and the density of mounted enemies results in many players activating too many opponents at once, usually resulting in a quick defeat. (LOTRO characters retreat when defeated, rather than suffering death.)

As with any new system, some people loved it, some hated it, and the majority dealt with it. Due to the nature of questing in LOTRO, it is difficult to completely avoid mounted combat and this aspect chased off some players.

I happen to enjoy mounted combat but it means creating and supporting an entirely new system, including mounted combat 'dungeons', that only a portion of players will embrace. It also means sucking up a huge amount of developer time, both in implementation and maintenance, in a game that already includes many languishing systems in need of attention. It sounds great in theory, but in my opinion, I seriously doubt a major system like mounted combat would ultimately help DDO's longevity*. Again in my opinion, DDO developers should play to the game's strengths--tremendous variation in character design, interesting and intricate dungeons, and expansive, often quirky treasure tables.

* I could see less resource intensive systems like cosmetics and housing helping the game without dividing the player base, but that is another discussion.

Well, first thing:
hasted character in DDO is as fast as someone on basic mount in lotro.
Barbs with haste and sprint boosts are as fast as heavy warsteeds.

2nd, mounted combat is heavily class dependant- some classes deal triple DPS on horse than on foot, while others deal 10% of their on foot DPS while mounted.

Discpsycho
09-30-2015, 02:00 AM
Just what we need, ways to further increase lag and promote zerging...

phillymiket
09-30-2015, 02:11 AM
Mounts would be a terrible idea.
This game is already dealing with old and new features and content in conflict with each other.
Having content from 2006 mesh with a sweeping game-changing feature like mounts would cause 1000 problems that needed to be fix. That = tons of dev time.
And for what gain?
No gain.
It would be only window dressing. The quests are close together and we already travel at a fast enough rate.
Whoever said it would be a waste of time hit the nail on the head.

Antheia
09-30-2015, 04:51 AM
At least give us invisible mounts, shouldnt be too hard to implement ;P