PDA

View Full Version : Downtime Notice: 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM Eastern (-4 GMT) Thursday, September 24th

Cordovan
09-23-2015, 04:17 PM
The DDO Game Servers will be brought down on Thursday, September 24th from 8:00 - 11:00 AM Eastern (-4 GMT) to launch Update 28: Devil's Gambit. Thanks for your patience, and we'll see you back in the game soon!

Ykt
09-23-2015, 04:41 PM
For other timezones

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=update+28&iso=20150924T08&p1=43&ah=3

moomooprincess
09-23-2015, 07:52 PM
I admit, this caught me unawares.

Confidence level is not high on a smooth install in time for the weekend.

Enoach
09-23-2015, 08:12 PM
I am also surprised as I did not think that they were ready with U28.

Here is to hope that it is a pleasant surprise.

Qhualor
09-23-2015, 09:18 PM
we just got the update today that new ranger changes were put in and U28 is tomorrow? window is awfully small to test those changes. i predict 2 patches for this update.

Lemdog
09-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Wow.. going live with update already? Please, wait until at least beginning of October.. it's barely been 2 weeks..

phyrephoenix
09-23-2015, 10:39 PM
Really don't get the logic of going live with an update right after substantial changes without any chance to test...

Braegan
09-23-2015, 10:42 PM
Really don't get the logic of going live with an update right after substantial changes without any chance to test...

Logic is probably Deadlines.

Pure and simple, it's a sad fact of business. And it is dictated mostly by those that have no concept of what it takes to put the actual work in.

OrodelaSol
09-23-2015, 10:51 PM
update goes as planned...games back up by 11...then massive bugs, further downtime while issues r resolved and all back and running by friday night...oh then they will do xp weekend and everyone will forget how upset they were and life will return to normal...

Seikojin
09-24-2015, 12:39 AM
I hope tomorrows deployment goes smooth.

Eth
09-24-2015, 01:35 AM
update goes as planned...games back up by 11...then massive bugs, further downtime while issues r resolved and all back and running by friday night...oh then they will do xp weekend and everyone will forget how upset they were and life will return to normal...

So, the usual stuff.

Calinthus
09-24-2015, 02:12 AM
we just got the update today that new ranger changes were put in and U28 is tomorrow? window is awfully small to test those changes. i predict 2 patches for this update.

A lot of the data for U28 has likely been programmed into their test servers for a while, possibly around the time they stated that the level cap will be raised to 30 (I'm hoping, anyway). And, how long have folk been wanting a ranger pass? If not, well, then, we will all have DDO withdrawals, while they put in the appropriate patches. It happens. Suck it up, buddy. ;p

UurlockYgmeov
09-24-2015, 03:04 AM
seems to me that there is enough content yet to publish this year for at least two more updates beyond U28...

level cap
epic Vale
epic Shroud
epic HoX
epic Tempest Spine
fvs and art pass
AA
monk pass
handwraps
Cannith Crafting pass
Mabar reincarnated

In fact it seems to me that Turbine is accelerating the amount of content updated/added this year. I'd bet (if I were a betting warforged) that the schedule shows 6 updates (4 with quests) in 16.

drathdragon
09-24-2015, 04:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a00_tPLcE_g

inspiredunease
09-24-2015, 04:39 AM
Logic is probably Deadlines.

Pure and simple, it's a sad fact of business. And it is dictated mostly by those that have no concept of what it takes to put the actual work in.

Yep, it's the end of the financial quarter, and they have a weekend between now and when the numbers need to go in the spreadsheet, that's a whole weekend to get people to buy the pack and bump up the revenue column a little. Can't blame them, but I do think this move is detrimental to the players.

Ykt
09-24-2015, 05:37 AM

Lamannia is a preview server, not a test server.

U28 was previewed, now it's going live.

cdbd3rd
09-24-2015, 05:41 AM
I would make the usual joke about having taken vacation time - but I really did burn off a couple days of 'use-or-lose' time Thursday & Friday. :p :rolleyes:

May the Fates smile on tomorro... erm, *today's* update. :)

morkahn82
09-24-2015, 06:49 AM
For other timezones

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=update+28&iso=20150924T08&p1=43&ah=3

what a nice tool. +1

Nestroy
09-24-2015, 07:05 AM
Ok, worlds are down now. How about the old but gold game of betting how long it will take this time until we can play again? My safe guess: estimated time +1 hour, game worlds will go down again two hours after reopening for the first hotfix.

morkahn82
09-24-2015, 07:11 AM
May I politely ask for release notes? Can not await them.

Loromir
09-24-2015, 07:11 AM
Wow.. going live with update already? Please, wait until at least beginning of October.. it's barely been 2 weeks..

I'm betting this is a pretty "vanilla" update as far as new systems go. It doesn't seem they are introducing any new questing feature/mechanisms. Even the Ranger pass does not seem to be offering anything new, just applying existing abilities to the ranger enhancement tables and re-naming them.

Even for the new quests...they have re-used some of the art-work and areas.

I'm encouraged that this will be a mainly bug free update. The only hiccups I see could be they might need to tweak ranger enhancements to add or reduce power.

WarhammerQuest
09-24-2015, 07:15 AM
May I politely ask for release notes? Can not await them.

Shouldn't the release notes have gone up before the release is applied!?

Nyata
09-24-2015, 07:17 AM
awwww.... just got home from work, started client, and was like 'what do you mean, failed to connect to patch server...' - I got home 2 minutes after the downtime started. ah well.

always happy about new content and fixes of old content, so I think I'll survive :) Just hoping it really only takes 3 hours :)

Kwyjibo
09-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Expediently pushing out content, what could possibly go wrong?

morkahn82
09-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Shouldn't the release notes have gone up before the release is applied!?

As they are release notes and not pre-release notes it is sufficient to bring them at the time of release i.e. 11:00 AM. But you can ask politely if they can post them during downtime so we have something to read in the time where we can not play.

Nyata
09-24-2015, 08:04 AM
and here I thought the drama that inevitaly always happens on the forum somewhere during downtime was our reading for entertainment... my bad :)

Shindurza
09-24-2015, 08:04 AM
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/438926-Lamannia-Release-Notes-%28Last-Updated-9-21-15%29

That link has the most recent updated release notes from the Lamannia test server, and those are usually pretty close to what goes live.

-Shin

silinteresting
09-24-2015, 08:28 AM
hey cordo

any chance of the release notes please mate.

thankyou.

your friend sil :)

Cleanincubus
09-24-2015, 08:34 AM
seems to me that there is enough content yet to publish this year for at least two more updates beyond U28...

level cap
epic Vale
epic Shroud
epic HoX
epic Tempest Spine
fvs and art pass
AA
monk pass
handwraps
Cannith Crafting pass
Mabar reincarnated

In fact it seems to me that Turbine is accelerating the amount of content updated/added this year. I'd bet (if I were a betting warforged) that the schedule shows 6 updates (4 with quests) in 16.
A little hint in the Dev Preview stream would seem to suggest that we'll more than likely see another update beyond 29. Also the fact that it's only September, and there's more than enough time (especially how quickly they are shoving these updates out) to fit at least 2 more updates in.

Galad1
09-24-2015, 08:42 AM
With this update speed, we'll have update 43 somewhere between 12-24-2015 and 12-31-2015........ :-p Sorry couldn't help my self....

Trillea
09-24-2015, 09:03 AM
Considering that this is the last day of my vacation and that they decided to release the new update today, I give 3:2 odds that the servers will be down all day so i can't get my main to 28 before my wife gets home tonight.

Cordovan
09-24-2015, 09:04 AM
Release Notes (https://www.ddo.com/en/update-28-release-notes) are up.

cru121
09-24-2015, 09:15 AM

release notes link to a new-in-store article which contains u27 content. fixy fixy?

gabbatastic
09-24-2015, 09:20 AM

You REALLY think we'll be back up by ELEVEN. Maybe on the west coast if we're lucky. I haven't seen an update finish in the time window they provide in over a year. It's pretty pathetic, but I give 0% credibility when it comes to uptime predictions.

Requiro
09-24-2015, 09:23 AM

Thank you! :)

ps. Typo: Archer's Focus now adds 3 Ranged Power per stack instead of 2% damage to missile damage. ;)

drathdragon
09-24-2015, 09:34 AM
so,

if i read well these release notes.... it mean that there will be a Mabar of some kind this year...

is it confirmed ?

morkahn82
09-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Monster Manual
A new Monster Manual (Monster Manual 6) is now available! Includes a top-tier reward of an exclusive Hellhound Creature Companion!

Just a note, this is missing.

Cordovan
09-24-2015, 09:36 AM
The game worlds are now open. We'll see you in the game!

HuneyMunster
09-24-2015, 09:36 AM

"Deflect Arrows: +1 Competence Bonus to Critical Damage Multiplier while dual wielding weapons."

Did this replace?

"Deflect Arrows: You also gain an additional 10% chance to make off-hand attacks when dual wielding."

gabbatastic
09-24-2015, 09:38 AM
you really think we'll be back up by eleven. Maybe on the west coast if we're lucky. I haven't seen an update finish in the time window they provide in over a year. It's pretty pathetic, but i give 0% credibility when it comes to uptime predictions.

wow! I stand corrected... Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nyata
09-24-2015, 09:39 AM

pffft! I am still patching my dats! thanks though for being fast and the information!

-fingerbang
09-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Khyber and Cannith still down

Requiro
09-24-2015, 09:42 AM
"Deflect Arrows: +1 Competence Bonus to Critical Damage Multiplier while dual wielding weapons."

Did this replace?

"Deflect Arrows: You also gain an additional 10% chance to make off-hand attacks when dual wielding."

Yes - moved to Core 18.

Surprise! Update on time – Good Job :)

Cordovan
09-24-2015, 09:43 AM
There is a Known Issue we want to make sure folks are aware of:

Devil's Gambit

Tavern Brawl

NEW: Divine Crusader's Consecration can cause the the quest to become incompletable. Players should not use this ability in the quest for now.

Kaliya
09-24-2015, 09:43 AM

Score one for the home team!

Underpromise and overdeliver. Love it!

Augon
09-24-2015, 09:44 AM
so,

if i read well these release notes.... it mean that there will be a Mabar of some kind this year...

is it confirmed ?

It said the Mabar ingredients were labeled as deprecated. I read that to mean that they are no longer ever going to be used in the game, thus no Mabar event.

LXP
09-24-2015, 09:46 AM
You REALLY think we'll be back up by ELEVEN. Maybe on the west coast if we're lucky. I haven't seen an update finish in the time window they provide in over a year. It's pretty pathetic, but I give 0% credibility when it comes to uptime predictions.

First, there has been at least one update during the last couple of weeks that got finished early. Probably you haven't been there.

Second, U28 seems to be done, at least about a quarter hour early. I just logged on.

LXP
09-24-2015, 09:52 AM
Just a note, this is missing.

Seems ok (as in accessible) to me.

zorander6
09-24-2015, 09:58 AM
*sigh* How much does this pack cost? I still haven't bought the last one and am losing interest in buying turbine points to get packs. It's gotten so bad I've been playing star trek online and that's pretty mediocre.

Edit: 450 tp......meh maybe in a couple years.

bracelet
09-24-2015, 10:02 AM
From the release notes:

"Monster autoscaling for level 30 quests has been removed, and monster stats for level 30 quests have been manually adjusted. This applies to any CR 30 quest (Level 28 quests on Elite, for example.)"

This seems a bit vague. Does this mean, for example, that a monster that is CR50 in a level 30 quest won't have stats that are just a linear advancement from a CR49 mob in the same quest? Won't that require a monumental amount of hand-tuning for the mobs? It seems like it will result in some odd behavior as well. CR50 mobs in level 29 quests could potentially have better saves than the same CR50 mob in level 30 quests. This seems like things could become confusing for devs and players pretty quickly. It seems somewhat error prone.

axel15810
09-24-2015, 10:54 AM
From the release notes:

"Monster autoscaling for level 30 quests has been removed, and monster stats for level 30 quests have been manually adjusted. This applies to any CR 30 quest (Level 28 quests on Elite, for example.)"

I am also confused by exactly what this release note means. I'd love to get more clarification on this.

Deadlock
09-24-2015, 11:06 AM
Nothing in the release notes about any corrections to the existing Monster Manual volumes.

Nothing fixed or just nothing listed in the notes?

Vargouille
09-24-2015, 11:13 AM
From the release notes:

This seems a bit vague. Does this mean, for example, that a monster that is CR50 in a level 30 quest won't have stats that are just a linear advancement from a CR49 mob in the same quest? Won't that require a monumental amount of hand-tuning for the mobs? It seems like it will result in some odd behavior as well. CR50 mobs in level 29 quests could potentially have better saves than the same CR50 mob in level 30 quests. This seems like things could become confusing for devs and players pretty quickly. It seems somewhat error prone.

Short version: We are very interested in your feedback when playing level 30 quests in Update 28 onwards, in regards to monster balance. In particular, please pay attention to monster saving throws.

To give some clarification:

Any changes are going to be primarily noticeable on Epic Elite, and barely noticeable on Epic Normal.
For years there's been a sort of behind the scenes in-code "autobalancer" that's automatically adjusted many monster statistics "on the fly", based on quest level and difficulty.
We want to get away from using this, as with higher and higher levels the automatic scaling does things we don't really want it to, and it means the literal data files are not representing the actual strength of the monsters. This makes it harder for us to get a good read on exact monster strengths, etc. So in the future, at least, we're not going to use this tool, which will make things simpler and faster for us to create and balance monsters (and not surprise new team members with monsters that are stronger than they actually statted them).
These were all done using very precise math, so we know what the autoscaler was doing. We just want to eliminate that extra step going on. So we've turned off the autoscaler for Level 30 quests (on Normal), and we fixed the non-scaled, static monster values to what we wanted them to be (we basically did the math the autoscaler was doing already).
We did take this opportunity to intentionally lower some numbers. In particular, saving throws for many monsters are going to be quite a bit lower. Some hitpoints have gone down as well.
Yes, there is a chance that the large amount of changes could include errors. Your attention to monsters and feedback is considered very helpful here!

Going forward into the future, this is definitely a clear win for us - we expect to be able to create and balance monsters more quickly and more accurately across the entire team, with less chance for unexpected behavior.

Livmo
09-24-2015, 11:30 AM
Archer's Focus on the Wiki will need an update:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Precise_Shot

From the release notes,

Feats:

Archer's Focus now adds 3 Ranged Power per stack instead of 2% damage to missile damage.

As an arty I hope this does not further decrease my ranged DPS. From the Wiki,

Description

Offensive Ranged Stance: If you are not currently using the Manyshot ability and have been stationary for 3 seconds, while you are wielding ranged or thrown weapons, you gain On Damage: up to once every half second, you gain +2% competence bonus to missile damage. This effect can stack up to 15 times.

On the surface it appears that it will. Did anyone test if 3 ranged power is equal to or out performs the Wiki description above?

raznorw
09-24-2015, 12:17 PM
Archer's Focus on the Wiki will need an update:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Precise_Shot

From the release notes,

Feats:

Archer's Focus now adds 3 Ranged Power per stack instead of 2% damage to missile damage.

As an arty I hope this does not further decrease my ranged DPS. From the Wiki,

Description

Offensive Ranged Stance: If you are not currently using the Manyshot ability and have been stationary for 3 seconds, while you are wielding ranged or thrown weapons, you gain On Damage: up to once every half second, you gain +2% competence bonus to missile damage. This effect can stack up to 15 times.

On the surface it appears that it will. Did anyone test if 3 ranged power is equal to or out performs the Wiki description above?

It depends on your current ranged power. Assuming full stacks of archer's focus you gain 45 RP now vs 30% dmg before.

At 0 Ranged power, it's better, being a 45% damage increase
At 100 ranged power, it's worse, being a relative 22% damage increase vice a 30% damage increase
The crossover point is at 50 Ranged power where both schemes give a 1.95 total multiplier.

LrdSlvrhnd
09-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Epic Destinies:

Ability score enhancements now appear separately for all destinies, so a player can use multiple of them as Twists of Fate.

So does this mean that when you take 4 tiers of a stat, you will properly see T1,T2,T3,T4 on your abilities list, rather than sometimes only the T4? 'Cause if so, yay! I've been burned by that in the past lol

UI:

Fixed an issue that caused the mouse wheel to get stuck in First-Person View when interacting with a bag.

...I hope this means that you fixed an issue that caused the mouse wheel to get stuck, full-stop, when interacting with a bag. 'Cause it's not just in first-person view that this happens (being that I'm never in first-person view and it gets stuck so I can no longer zoom at all, specifically when switching characters)

noinfo
09-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Short version: We are very interested in your feedback when playing level 30 quests in Update 28 onwards, in regards to monster balance. In particular, please pay attention to monster saving throws.

Any changes are going to be primarily noticeable on Epic Elite, and barely noticeable on Epic Normal.
For years there's been a sort of behind the scenes in-code "autobalancer" that's automatically adjusted many monster statistics "on the fly", based on quest level and difficulty.
We want to get away from using this, as with higher and higher levels the automatic scaling does things we don't really want it to, and it means the literal data files are not representing the actual strength of the monsters. This makes it harder for us to get a good read on exact monster strengths, etc. So in the future, at least, we're not going to use this tool, which will make things simpler and faster for us to create and balance monsters (and not surprise new team members with monsters that are stronger than they actually statted them).
These were all done using very precise math, so we know what the autoscaler was doing. We just want to eliminate that extra step going on. So we've turned off the autoscaler for Level 30 quests (on Normal), and we fixed the non-scaled, static monster values to what we wanted them to be (we basically did the math the autoscaler was doing already).
We did take this opportunity to intentionally lower some numbers. In particular, saving throws for many monsters are going to be quite a bit lower. Some hitpoints have gone down as well.
Yes, there is a chance that the large amount of changes could include errors. Your attention to monsters and feedback is considered very helpful here!

Going forward into the future, this is definitely a clear win for us - we expect to be able to create and balance monsters more quickly and more accurately across the entire team, with less chance for unexpected behavior.

Did the mobs in U27 get a rebalance for dc casters? After the last update it was that disappointing that my DC wizard is now a Warlock, but would welcome the opportunity to come back as a wizard, I am not going to go in and test it now though (might try vs dc on warlock)

Vargouille
09-24-2015, 02:19 PM
Did the mobs in U27 get a rebalance for dc casters? After the last update it was that disappointing that my DC wizard is now a Warlock, but would welcome the opportunity to come back as a wizard, I am not going to go in and test it now though (might try vs dc on warlock)

All monster saving throws were subject to change for all level 30 quests, amongst other monster statistics (but mostly saving throws).

This includes:
Defiler of the Just (http://ddowiki.com/page/Defiler_of_the_Just) • Demon Assault (http://ddowiki.com/page/Demon_Assault) • Fire on Thunder Peak (http://ddowiki.com/page/Fire_on_Thunder_Peak) • Grim and Barett (http://ddowiki.com/page/Grim_and_Barett) • Multitude of Menace (http://ddowiki.com/page/Multitude_of_Menace) • Subversion (http://ddowiki.com/page/Subversion) • Tavern Brawl (quest) (http://ddowiki.com/page/Tavern_Brawl_(quest)) • Temple of Elemental Evil Part One (http://ddowiki.com/page/Temple_of_Elemental_Evil_Part_One) • Temple of Elemental Evil Part Two (http://ddowiki.com/page/Temple_of_Elemental_Evil_Part_Two)• Temple of the Deathwyrm (http://ddowiki.com/page/Temple_of_the_Deathwyrm) • The Archons' Trial (http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Archons%27_Trial) • The Devil's Details (http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Devil%27s_Details) • The Mark of Death (http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Mark_of_Death) • The Mask of Deception (http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Mask_of_Deception)

(of course the newest, U28 quests weren't really "changed" per se)

UurlockYgmeov
09-24-2015, 03:47 PM

level cap
epic Vale
epic Shroud
epic HoX
epic Tempest Spine
fvs and art pass
AA
monk pass
handwraps
Cannith Crafting pass
Mabar reincarnated

OOPS - forgot to include epic greensteel! How dare I!?>>!>>!>?!?!?

Thar
09-24-2015, 04:43 PM

i'm sure that was a ton of work. Thanks!

Livmo
09-24-2015, 05:19 PM
It depends on your current ranged power. Assuming full stacks of archer's focus you gain 45 RP now vs 30% dmg before.

At 0 Ranged power, it's better, being a 45% damage increase
At 100 ranged power, it's worse, being a relative 22% damage increase vice a 30% damage increase
The crossover point is somewhere around 60 Ranged power which would be a total 2.05 multiplier in the new system, and a 2.08 multiplier in the old.

This helps. I can't wait till I get a machine that has DDO on it to look and see where I'm at in terms RP. I'm a pure arty, sadly our 2 enhacement trees do not grant any ranged power. I'm pumping it up with Harper tree.

gostwolf
09-24-2015, 07:41 PM
How long until we stop getting the attempting to find a login server messages?

dontmater
09-24-2015, 08:19 PM
how could NO ONE notice this?

There is a Known Issue we want to make sure folks are aware of:

Devil's Gambit

Tavern Brawl

NEW: Divine Crusader's Consecration can cause the the quest to become incompletable. Players should not use this ability in the quest for now.

PsychoBlonde
09-25-2015, 01:16 PM

Okay, here's some feedback:

In the Devil's Gambit quests, the Cultists are, by FAR, the STRONGEST MOBS IN THERE. The melee ones (as opposed to the archers) have the highest fort saves of any mobs in those quests. They also do the most damage! It's bizarre, because you'd kind of expect the actual DEVILS to be stronger, but the devils are ****ants compared with these friggin cultists! I was easily stunning orthons and abishai and everything else in there, but cultists, HAHA NOPE. I think Arraetrikos would be kind of despondent to hear that the humans are making his hordes of invading devils look like a buncha scrubs.

What did you DO to the humans?!

PsychoBlonde
09-25-2015, 01:17 PM

"can cause" isn't the same as "will cause every single time". It's probably a weird combination of circumstances that isn't likely to happen but that they also can't predict exactly WHEN it will happen.

Kompera_Oberon
09-25-2015, 08:41 PM

It looks to me as though they did notice it, no caps lock required.

Cordovan's "back up!" message was posted 2:04 PM (forum time...), the known issue was posted 2:43 PM. Unless people stormed the new content, reported the bug, and it was identified in record time, this appears to be a bug they decided to just let go to live. After all, it only effects 1 out of 12 Destinies, right?

moomooprincess
09-25-2015, 09:24 PM
I admit, this caught me unawares.

Confidence level is not high on a smooth install in time for the weekend.

I was wrong. No downtime or patch AFAIK. Game on.