PDA

View Full Version : Develop the gift economy - make it easy to give

TheWalruss
08-28-2015, 03:50 PM
I would spend a lot of money if I could buy, say, an XP Elixir and give to a guildie.

The same goes if I could buy a "VIP pass" just like a Guest pass. 1 month of VIP upon target + hotbared click.

It is so messy if you want to offer someone a serious gift, if you have to do it the way it is now.

DDO team, listen to an anthropologist who knows a lot about gift economy.

You're seriously missing out on a lot of fat bucks right here.

esojiul
08-28-2015, 04:32 PM
I would spend a lot of money if I could buy, say, an XP Elixir and give to a guildie.

The same goes if I could buy a "VIP pass" just like a Guest pass. 1 month of VIP upon target + hotbared click.

It is so messy if you want to offer someone a serious gift, if you have to do it the way it is now.

DDO team, listen to an anthropologist who knows a lot about gift economy.

You're seriously missing out on a lot of fat bucks right here.

That a very good idea, wealth transfer, actually is economist concept also. You are right help alot ddo.

The_Human_Cypher
08-28-2015, 05:29 PM
I suggested this idea on the forums earlier. Gifting cosmetics, pets, boosts, and other items from the DDO Store would be a money maker for DDO.

UurlockYgmeov
08-28-2015, 08:22 PM
one can do it - but usually involves making a phone call and talking to a live CS agent.

Vellrad
08-28-2015, 08:29 PM
XP pots used to be target self/friend, loot pots and guild XP pots still are.
IDK why turbine decided to nerf them.
And you can buy a vip code for ur friends on ddo market.

That said, I think option to purchase item as a gift would be nice, many games with micro transactions do this.

TheWalruss
08-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the tip. Didn't know you could do it if you phoned them.

And giving a TP code just isn't the same.

You don't go to someone's birthday and give them money. It's awkward :-)

And really, you can buy a box of choccolates to give away but they're completely useless compared to giving something really useful away - like a monster manual for example.

UurlockYgmeov
08-29-2015, 04:38 PM
I too support this, but only if they can do it without bumping the cannith crafting pass or something important next year. :cool:

PsychoBlonde
08-29-2015, 05:47 PM
Uh, the reason why they don't do this is because they don't want to create an enormous influx of "givers" who sell XP pots on the auction house or for loot or other in-game considerations. People already spam the trade channels asking for guest passes. This is also why you can't directly trade astral shards to other people.

I wouldn't be opposed to "group XP pots" where you drink the pot and it affects everyone who groups with you for X amount of time, but things like this would also be most useful to multi-boxers unless it was only marginally cheaper than a full group each buying their own pots . . . in which case people won't buy them, because it's rare to have that many friends available for grouping at a time.

The in-game economy is broken enough without bringing in more of this.