PDA

View Full Version : Newbie FS dual shortsword help

temp42
08-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Ok, so I am returning to the game from being gone a fair while. I've popped in for a little bit here and there, but not really played this character a lot.

But she is reasonably fun to play and seems to solo well, and I would like to get someone into higher levels. I only have one epic character, and only just barely epic at that. And this seems like a good solo friendly option to try that so I dont inflict myself on group while I relearn the game.

This character is likely woefully gimpy by most standards, and I mostly dont care, since I'm not planning to try any Epic Elite quests any time soon. I would mostly love some suggestions on where to direct my energies in general.

So, without further explanations, she is a Drow, level 17 favored soul with no splashes or past lives. Pretty much focused on the Warpriest tree, with some drow enhancements tossed in. Starting to look into AoV options now as well.

Statwise I have decent Strength, Wis, and Cha, and I don't know what I had been focusing on before, but it probably wasn't wisdom, since I am not expecting to do a lot of DC spells. I do toss around cometfalls and such when its useful though. Most of my spell points are used for buffing and healing/curing.

I have some metamagic, but I think extend and possibly empower healing is all, maybe quicken, I'd have to double check. I have feats in dual wielding and using shortswords to work with the diety bonus. I am currently using 2 envenomed blades mainly, but I have a wide variety of optional weapons, like a pair of metallines for DR or fire/ice weapon sets. I have 2 raider reward boxes from back in the day, and can get 2 celestia's that way I believe, once I get to 23.

Most of my gear is not named, or overly special, though I have a fair bit of the level 16 wheyloon quest reward items now, and I just got some decent ghostly boots from high road of shadows.
I have a variety of stats items for wis, cha, and str, deadly, speed, and other pretty common stats in general.

First, a question, as near as I can tell, I should be able to summon a scarrow, and I remember doing it back in the day before enhancements were trees and the like, but I cant figure out how to do it anymore, what am I missing?

Second, where should I go from here? Is it so terrible that there is no saving the build, or is it worth pushing to higher level so I have a character that can at least farm named items on epic normal for other characters I have or make? Should I be ok in a group or hide from them lest they have to deal with my terribleness?

Jiirix
08-13-2015, 02:30 AM
Ok, so I am returning to the game from being gone a fair while. I've popped in for a little bit here and there, but not really played this character a lot.

But she is reasonably fun to play and seems to solo well, and I would like to get someone into higher levels. I only have one epic character, and only just barely epic at that. And this seems like a good solo friendly option to try that so I dont inflict myself on group while I relearn the game.

This character is likely woefully gimpy by most standards, and I mostly dont care, since I'm not planning to try any Epic Elite quests any time soon. I would mostly love some suggestions on where to direct my energies in general.

So, without further explanations, she is a Drow, level 17 favored soul with no splashes or past lives. Pretty much focused on the Warpriest tree, with some drow enhancements tossed in. Starting to look into AoV options now as well.

Statwise I have decent Strength, Wis, and Cha, and I don't know what I had been focusing on before, but it probably wasn't wisdom, since I am not expecting to do a lot of DC spells. I do toss around cometfalls and such when its useful though. Most of my spell points are used for buffing and healing/curing.

I have some metamagic, but I think extend and possibly empower healing is all, maybe quicken, I'd have to double check. I have feats in dual wielding and using shortswords to work with the diety bonus. I am currently using 2 envenomed blades mainly, but I have a wide variety of optional weapons, like a pair of metallines for DR or fire/ice weapon sets. I have 2 raider reward boxes from back in the day, and can get 2 celestia's that way I believe, once I get to 23.

Most of my gear is not named, or overly special, though I have a fair bit of the level 16 wheyloon quest reward items now, and I just got some decent ghostly boots from high road of shadows.
I have a variety of stats items for wis, cha, and str, deadly, speed, and other pretty common stats in general.

First, a question, as near as I can tell, I should be able to summon a scarrow, and I remember doing it back in the day before enhancements were trees and the like, but I cant figure out how to do it anymore, what am I missing?

Second, where should I go from here? Is it so terrible that there is no saving the build, or is it worth pushing to higher level so I have a character that can at least farm named items on epic normal for other characters I have or make? Should I be ok in a group or hide from them lest they have to deal with my terribleness?

I have a level 17 soul / level 3 fighter dragon knight dual wielding two "star of day" shortswords. If you are lawful good 3 levels of paladin may be a good option too. It's not a bad toon at all, with heavy armor, the defender stance and good selfhealing it is very hard to kill. The damage output is lacking a bit (compared to my paladin anyway) but to be able to heal a raid or group makes up for this. I would only take one celestia from the box and and save the other box for later. The favorite weapon enhancement breaks the light damage part of celestia, and because of that celestia does more damage without any weapon buff. (The AOV aura increases light damage, but that only works when celestia stays "vanilla". Very anoying and won't be fixed afaik.)

If you feel that your healing abiltiy isn't needed much because you run with selfhealing groups most of the time you can use your gear and TR into a twf drow paladin 14/ ranger 6 and do AWSOME damage with holy sword + zeal + dance of death. Get manyshot and keep your blitz up all the time. Defence is also excellent thanks to sacred defender. Have fun.

unbongwah
08-13-2015, 09:14 AM
The deity abilities switched from Enhancements to feats a long time ago. So Vulkoor's Avatar would be listed under your feats; map it to your toolbar.

Do you want to stick with pure FvS or do you want to MC like Jiirix?

temp42
08-13-2015, 09:52 AM
I couldnt find the skill under feats or enhancements tabs, the other skills, like follower of vulkoor, child of vulkoor etc are there, but not the one to summon a scorpion. I mean, at this point at level 17, a level 10 scorpion isnt that big of a deal, just an annoyance because I remember liking having the guy around in the past.

As for multiclassing, I am not married to 20 favored soul levels, but DR 10/good and Implacable foe are pretty good abilities to lose without a really good return. That said, if I multiclass, I would rather look at 2 level dips over 3 level ones, since losing level 9 spells would suck too. Losing mass heal would make higher level healing harder, I would suspect, but its probably managable if needed.

Its a pity about the favored enhancements breaking the light properties :/
thats a fair bit to lose in return, 5 to hit and damage, and the light damage on vorpal.
does Xen'drik Weapon Training also break it, since thats just a bonus, not an enhancement bonus?
On the other hand, pulling those points out of the tree lets me spend in the AoV tree easier, and as much as 50% vulnerability is a big deal if I am taking hits.

I know what 2 pally levels can give, and its very strong, with good saves and some added damage/ light damage on melee attacks, and smites to use my high cha bonus. The third pally level gives me sacrifice and more default light damage on attacks, which also sounds pretty spiffy. What would fighter give thats anywhere near that good? I clearly dont know the class very well.

A 3 level pally dip really is sounding appealing as I look at it, though I should probably point out the enhancements and see if I can afford the things I want at this point. Is mass heal a real need for higher level healing in groups/raids? I dont want to get invited to heal and suck at it :)

unbongwah
08-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Do you have a Feat Respec Token under your Feat tab? If so, you might need to use that to claim Vulkoor's Avatar feat from Fred. Otherwise, you probably won't get it without LRing. :(

WARNING: theory-crafting for my own amusement ahead. Proceed with caution. :cool:

Here's an idea I've been toying with for my pure FvS: CHA-based Warpriest using Exalted Angel. Endless Ardor and AoV bonuses should proc off light spells (inc. EA spells) and Divine Conduit; Fire Energy Burst will also proc AoV. Melee DPS is mediocre at best; it's as much about charging Divine Conduit as actually hurting things by poking them as well as free AoE heals from Ameliorating Strike. The goal is lower-lvl light spells "charge up" the stacking temp bonuses to boost your big AoEs (Conduit, EB, Div Wrath).

How well does it work? Good question! If you give it a go, be sure to let me know... ;)

Exalted Warpriest
Favored Soul 20
True Neutral Drow

Stats
28pt 30pt Tome Level Up
---- ---- ---- --------
Strength 12 14 +2 4: CHA
Dexterity 15 15 +2 8: CHA
Constitution 12 12 +2 12: CHA
Intelligence 10 10 +2 16: CHA
Wisdom 8 8 +2 20: CHA
Charisma 19 19 +2 24: CHA
28: CHA

Skills
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
------------------------------------------------------------
Spellcr 4 1 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 23
Heal 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 15
UMD 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 11
------------------------------------------------------------
8 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

Feats

1 : Two Weapon Fighting
1 Deity : Follower of: Vulkoor
3 : Precision
3 Deity : Child of: Vulkoor
5 FavSoul: Energy Resistance: Electricity
6 : Quicken Spell
9 : Improved Two Weapon Fighting
10 FavSoul: Energy Resistance: Fire
12 : Improved Critical: Piercing
12 Deity : Beloved of: Vulkoor
15 : Greater Two Weapon Fighting
15 FavSoul: Energy Resistance: Cold
18 : Empower Healing Spell
20 Deity : Damage Reduction: Good
21 Epic : Overwhelming Critical
24 Epic : Maximize Spell
26 Destiny: Perfect Two Weapon Fighting
27 Epic : Ruin
28 Destiny: Hellball

Enhancements (80 AP)

Drow (7 AP)

Spell Resistance, Charisma

Xen'drik Weapon Training
Xen'drik Weapon Training

Warpriest (41 AP)

Smite Foe, Resilience of Battle, Sanctuary, Blur, Haste, Implacable Foe

Divine Might III, Righteous Weapons
Smite Weakness, Wall of Steel III, Righteous Weapons, Inflame III, Inflame: Saving Throws I
Righteous Weapons, Inflame: Energy Absorption III, Charisma
Ameliorating Strike, Righteous Weapons
Divine Vessel III, Wrathful Weapons, Magic Backlash III

Angel of Vengeance (32 AP)

Font of Power, Shield of Condemnation, Aura of Menace, Summon Archon, Vengeful Magic

Scourge III, Smiting
Just Reward III, Smiting, Articles of Faith, Spell Power Boost III
Smiting
Crown of Retribution, Smiting, Intense Faith III

Destiny (24 AP)

Exalted Angel

Avenging Light, Radiant Power II, Endless Faith II, Healing Power II
Soundburst III
Purity of Essence II
Rebuke Foe, Blood and Radiance III, Excoriate
<none>
Sun Bolt, Divine Wrath

Twists of Fate (31 fate points)

Energy Burst: Fire (Tier 4 Draconic)
Balanced Attacks (Tier 3 Primal)
Grim Precision (Tier 3 Shadowdancer)

Some weapon options apart from Thunder-forged or ToEE: Cutthroat's Smallblade, Envenomed Blade, Elemental Fury, Star of Day, drow shortsword, Celestia, Balizarde. With two raider's boxes, I would consider Balizarde + Celestia: Bali doesn't benefit from WP, but 15-20/x3 crits & static bonuses are good; and some of Celestia's bonuses carry over to mainhand, IIRC. ETA: and actually you might want to drop Righteous + Wrathful weapons line while using Celestia, since that's what breaks Celestia DR, IIRC; not sure if Xendrik bonuses do, too.

For a FvS 17 / pal 3 variant, I would probably go more melee-focused, possibly switching to Div Crusader instead of EA. Have to think about that...

temp42
08-13-2015, 01:31 PM
So I started playing with enhancement trees some, here are the trees I am looking at:
Drow racial, Warpriest, Angel of Vengence, and Knight of the Chalice. This is working with a 17/3 split btw, because some of those level 3 pally things looked very pretty.

Drow: venomed blades for d8 free damage on each weapon, 2 cha, and as much xendrik training as I can fit. Cost 18.
Angel of vengence: core up to summon archon, 2 stat boosts, and as much light damage as I can. Cost 23.
Knight of the chalice: second core for d8 free damage, cleave attack and sacrifice, got 1 stat boost too. Cost 15
Warpriest: as much as I can, esp smite related items, get to divine vessel, 2 stat boosts. Cost 23

I took out the enhancement line, to both save points and work with celestia. I'm not sure if the poison stance or pally light damage bits will still break it though.
I took out the divine Power, but I will probably keep that in until I get into Divine crusader, but it becomes pretty redundant then.

it took some pulling things out, but this looks ok to me, but I'd love someone who knows these enhancements better to let me know if some are terrible or I am missing important ones I dont know about.

Here is the full list:

Warpriest
Core: (4)
1 1 Smite foe - extra 2W attack. 2ac, 5fire/light spellpower
1 3 Resiliance of battle - DR 5/-, 2ac, 5fire/light spellpower
1 6 Sanctuary - +20 prr activatable 20s/min, 2ac, 5fire/light spellpower
1 12 War domain Blur: blur in spellbook, and always on, 2ac, 5fire/light spellpower

Tier 1: (6)
1x3 Divine might - Cha bonus to str as insight for 30/60/120 seconds, costs 21/18/15 sp
1x3 Toughness - 5/10/15 hps

Tier 2: (Progression 5) (8)
2 * Smite weakness - gives 4-7% vulnerable on hit with smite
1x3 Wall of steel - +3/6/10 PRR
1x3 Inflame - action boost, you and nearby gain +2/3/4 ac, attack, and damage for 30s

Tier Three: (Progression 10) (5)
1x3 Protector - on hit, 15/30/45% chance of enemys getting -1 str/dex, stacks 10 times.
2 Stat boost - Str/Wis/Cha

Tier Four: (Progression 20) (7)
2 Ameliorating strike - heals allies for 1d2/level when you smite, also lesser resto (boosted by pos spellpower)
1x3 * Light guard - enemys take 1/2/3 d4 light damage when hitting you
2 * Stat boost - str/wis/cha

Tier Five (Progression 30) (3)
1x3 Divine Vessel - toggle - stacks to 25 1 per 3/2/1 second, 2d4 aoe hit when stacked.

Totals: 33

----------------------------

Knight of the Chalace
Core abilities
1 1 Slayer of evil: +1 hit vs evil/undead. +1d4 light damage, +2 saves vs evil, light damage scales with melee power
1 1 Courage of heaven: aura of courage gives +2 vs fear and enchantment, +1 hit, light damage on attacks ups to 1d8
Tier One: (4)
1x2 Extra smite - gain 2/4 smite evils per rest
2 Attack boost - +4 action boost to hit for 20s
Tier Two: (level 2, progression 5) (4)
1x3 * 1/2/3W cleave attack, req level 3 pally
1x1 Damage boost - +10
Tier Three: (level 3, progression 10) (5)
1x3 Divine Sacrifice - +5/7/9d6 light on next attack, ups crit mult +1, scales with melee power, costs 5hp/1sp
2 Stat boost - Cha/str

Total: 15

---------------------------

Angel of Vengeance:

Core:
1 1 Font of Power - +1 universal spell power and +2 spell points per point in tree
1 3 Shield of Condemnation: Toggle - enemys that strike you can gain 10% light vulnerability and fort reduction, stacks 5
1 6 Aura of Menace: Toggle - 15 meter aura reduces saves/attacks/ac of enemys by 2
1 12 Summon Archon: Toggle - lantern archon hovers and shoots enemys for 1-3+cl light damage every 2s

Tier One: (Progression 1) (5)
1x3 Scourge - +3 to spellpower when you cast a spell, stacks 3/6/10 times, lasts 6s
2 Smiting - 2% to crit with most spells

Tier Two: (Progression 5) (7)
1x3 * Just Reward - crits with most spells gain 3/6/10 temp sp
2 * Smiting - 2% to crit with most spells
2 Articles of Faith - favored weapons are considered spellcasting implements

Tier Three: (Progression 10) (4)
2 Stat boost - Cha/wis

Tier Four: (Progression 20) (2)
2 * Stat boost - Cha/wis

Total: 23

---------------------

Drow
Core abilities (6)
1 1 Spell Resistance - +2 spell resistance
2 4 Stat boost: Dex/int/cha
1 7 Spell Resistance - +2 spell resistance
2 11 Stat boost: Dex/int/cha

Tier One: (2)
2 Xen'drik weapon training - +1 hit/dam with rapiers, shortswords, shuriken

Tier Two: (progression 5) (5)
1x3 Venom Lore - +1/2/3 heal/saves vs poison, +2/4/6 poison resist vs hp damage poisons
2 * Xen'drik weapon training - +1 hit/dam with rapiers, shortswords, shuriken

Tier Three: (progression 10)(2)

Tier Four: (progression 15) (5)
1x3 * Venomed blades - Stance, weapons deal +1d4/6/8 poison damage

Total: 18

Jiirix
08-14-2015, 05:44 AM
So I started playing with enhancement trees some, here are the trees I am looking at:
Drow racial, Warpriest, Angel of Vengence, and Knight of the Chalice. This is working with a 17/3 split btw, because some of those level 3 pally things looked very pretty.

Drow: venomed blades for d8 free damage on each weapon, 2 cha, and as much xendrik training as I can fit. Cost 18.
Angel of vengence: core up to summon archon, 2 stat boosts, and as much light damage as I can. Cost 23.
Knight of the chalice: second core for d8 free damage, cleave attack and sacrifice, got 1 stat boost too. Cost 15
Warpriest: as much as I can, esp smite related items, get to divine vessel, 2 stat boosts. Cost 23

I took out the enhancement line, to both save points and work with celestia. I'm not sure if the poison stance or pally light damage bits will still break it though.
I took out the divine Power, but I will probably keep that in until I get into Divine crusader, but it becomes pretty redundant then.

it took some pulling things out, but this looks ok to me, but I'd love someone who knows these enhancements better to let me know if some are terrible or I am missing important ones I dont know about.

Here is the full list:

Warpriest
Core: (4)
1 1 Smite foe - extra 2W attack. 2ac, 5fire/light spellpower
1 3 Resiliance of battle - DR 5/-, 2ac, 5fire/light spellpower
1 6 Sanctuary - +20 prr activatable 20s/min, 2ac, 5fire/light spellpower
1 12 War domain Blur: blur in spellbook, and always on, 2ac, 5fire/light spellpower

Tier 1: (6)
1x3 Divine might - Cha bonus to str as insight for 30/60/120 seconds, costs 21/18/15 sp
1x3 Toughness - 5/10/15 hps

Tier 2: (Progression 5) (8)
2 * Smite weakness - gives 4-7% vulnerable on hit with smite
1x3 Wall of steel - +3/6/10 PRR
1x3 Inflame - action boost, you and nearby gain +2/3/4 ac, attack, and damage for 30s

Tier Three: (Progression 10) (5)
1x3 Protector - on hit, 15/30/45% chance of enemys getting -1 str/dex, stacks 10 times.
2 Stat boost - Str/Wis/Cha

Tier Four: (Progression 20) (7)
2 Ameliorating strike - heals allies for 1d2/level when you smite, also lesser resto (boosted by pos spellpower)
1x3 * Light guard - enemys take 1/2/3 d4 light damage when hitting you
2 * Stat boost - str/wis/cha

Tier Five (Progression 30) (3)
1x3 Divine Vessel - toggle - stacks to 25 1 per 3/2/1 second, 2d4 aoe hit when stacked.

Totals: 33

----------------------------

Knight of the Chalace
Core abilities
1 1 Slayer of evil: +1 hit vs evil/undead. +1d4 light damage, +2 saves vs evil, light damage scales with melee power
1 1 Courage of heaven: aura of courage gives +2 vs fear and enchantment, +1 hit, light damage on attacks ups to 1d8
Tier One: (4)
1x2 Extra smite - gain 2/4 smite evils per rest
2 Attack boost - +4 action boost to hit for 20s
Tier Two: (level 2, progression 5) (4)
1x3 * 1/2/3W cleave attack, req level 3 pally
1x1 Damage boost - +10
Tier Three: (level 3, progression 10) (5)
1x3 Divine Sacrifice - +5/7/9d6 light on next attack, ups crit mult +1, scales with melee power, costs 5hp/1sp
2 Stat boost - Cha/str

Total: 15

---------------------------

Angel of Vengeance:

Core:
1 1 Font of Power - +1 universal spell power and +2 spell points per point in tree
1 3 Shield of Condemnation: Toggle - enemys that strike you can gain 10% light vulnerability and fort reduction, stacks 5
1 6 Aura of Menace: Toggle - 15 meter aura reduces saves/attacks/ac of enemys by 2
1 12 Summon Archon: Toggle - lantern archon hovers and shoots enemys for 1-3+cl light damage every 2s

Tier One: (Progression 1) (5)
1x3 Scourge - +3 to spellpower when you cast a spell, stacks 3/6/10 times, lasts 6s
2 Smiting - 2% to crit with most spells

Tier Two: (Progression 5) (7)
1x3 * Just Reward - crits with most spells gain 3/6/10 temp sp
2 Articles of Faith - favored weapons are considered spellcasting implements

Tier Three: (Progression 10) (4)
2 Stat boost - Cha/wis

Tier Four: (Progression 20) (2)
2 * Stat boost - Cha/wis

Total: 23

---------------------

Drow
Core abilities (6)
1 1 Spell Resistance - +2 spell resistance
2 4 Stat boost: Dex/int/cha
1 7 Spell Resistance - +2 spell resistance
2 11 Stat boost: Dex/int/cha

Tier One: (2)
2 Xen'drik weapon training - +1 hit/dam with rapiers, shortswords, shuriken

Tier Two: (progression 5) (5)
1x3 Venom Lore - +1/2/3 heal/saves vs poison, +2/4/6 poison resist vs hp damage poisons

Tier Three: (progression 10)(2)

Tier Four: (progression 15) (5)
1x3 * Venomed blades - Stance, weapons deal +1d4/6/8 poison damage

Total: 18

See if you can free at least 9 AP for Sacred Defender (no schield needed): Holy Bastion 1AP, Sacred Defence 1AP, Resisliant Defence III 3AP, Sacred Armor MasteryI 1AP, Durable Defence III 3AP. Best bang for the bug you can get from any enhancement tree imho: +3 to all saves and +25 to MRR and PRR. Spend 4 more AP and you get +20% HP (Or STR/CON +6).

Raid healing is Ameliorating strike + Sacred ground and/or the mass cure moderate SLA from the Angel ED + Divine Wrath. Mass heals are to slow (even with quicken) and waste spellpoints by overhealing most of the time anyway. Divine Wrath can be very powerful https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/435732-Ghostriker-s-build

temp42
08-14-2015, 07:57 AM
My initial cut had 6 points in sacred defender for the prr/mrr I will admit, but I needed to cut somewhere, since I can only have so many trees. I didn't worry as much about the saves since FS base saves with a cha focus and divine grace means my saves would be quite good already. I feel like I lose too much damage dropping knight of the chalice, and probably the same with AoV. We wont talk about Warpriest, and I cant drop drow.

that said, I found a character creator and plugged it all in and found out my math was wrong, and I need to trim points as it is.

What is the best thing to lose here..
Lose venomed blades and 1-2 weapon trainings from drow
Lose summon archon and a stat boost from AoV
Lose Cleave, divine sacrifice and a stat boost from KoTC
Lose divine Vessel, Light guard, and a stat boost from WP

Sadly, the least painful loss sounds like the archon, even though its probably the most flavorful and fun.
Part of me wants to drop the drow bits, but d8 to every attack seems great, and I dont actually have any other stances.

temp42
08-15-2015, 09:53 AM
And apparently it doesn't matter because looking at the character, I am chaotic good not lawful good. Which makes sense if I was building based on idea rather than potential character building options down the line :/

So now I figure out the best pure FS build, ponder a different splash (do any others even make sense?) or spend on an alignment change.

unbongwah
08-15-2015, 11:22 AM
Since both can get defensive stance, pal 3 vs ftr 3 mostly boils down to Div Grace vs 2 extra feats; or possibly KotC vs Kensei. Pure FvS vs FvS 17 / ftr 3, then, boils down to: lvl 18 cores, capstone, and lvl 9 spells; vs 2 extra feats, defensive stance, and Kensei perks.