PDA

View Full Version : SWF style - what does it work with?

HungarianRhapsody
08-11-2015, 10:26 PM
I am trying to figure out what I should do with my Paladin (will be Paladin 20 - no Fighter splash). I don't want to do TWF this life, so that seems to leave either Sword and Shield or THF. Single Weapon Fighting doesn't seem like it would make sense because not having anything in my off hand is a colossal waste of a hand.

Is there a way to get SWF to work together with a shield as a Paladin? I can't buckle my swash because Bard requires non-Lawful.

As far as I can tell, my best bang for the buck with fighting seems to be:

1 THF
3 Improved THF
6 Greater THF
9 Shield Mastery
12 Improved Shield Mastery
15 Improved Crit
18 Exotic Weapon Proficiency Bastard Sword or Dwarven Axe

...which leaves just one feat for something else and still seems like it is leaving a lot of fun stuff on the table. Like Improved Shield Bash and Quick Draw and Power Attack or Precision and Stunning Blow and Cleave and Great Cleave. Yes, I know I'm not a Fighter, but I've been spoiled by splashes in previous lives. Thankfully, Tower Shield proficiency isn't needed because I can Master's Touch.

Any thoughts on what direction I should choose for feats as a Human Paladin 20? Is there any crazy stuff you can do with an Orb that are worth pursuing instead of Shields? Does Single Weapon Fighting actually work with anything worth holding in your off-hand as a Paladin? Is it worth throwing 4 feats at THF + EWP for the glancing blows? Will Tony and Angela ever get together? Find out in the next thrilling episode of "I'm confused by all the new options and need help figuring out what works with what."

unbongwah
08-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Is there a way to get SWF to work together with a shield as a Paladin?
No. If you took an arty 2 splash, you could use a Runearm (but ofc that gives up capstone). Otherwise, your only options are an orb or nothing.

Like Improved Shield Bash and Quick Draw and Power Attack or Precision and Stunning Blow and Cleave and Great Cleave.
You will definitely want either Power Atk or Precision. You don't need Cleave feats (use KotC abilities instead), unless you need to unlock Momentum Swing from LD. See my Sacred Vanguard thread for other options.

Does Single Weapon Fighting actually work with anything worth holding in your off-hand as a Paladin?
Most of the named orbs (http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Orbs) are geared towards casters; so apart from augment slots, they don't offer much to SWF melee. TF orbs open some possibilities, though, like Spellpower+Lore (usually Devotion) and Draconic Reinvigoration.

HungarianRhapsody
08-11-2015, 11:24 PM
Thank you!

Kompera_Oberon
08-12-2015, 03:43 AM
18 Exotic Weapon Proficiency Bastard Sword or Dwarven Axe
[...]
Thankfully, Tower Shield proficiency isn't needed because I can Master's Touch.
Then why spend a Feat on a one handed exotic weapon proficiency?

Rogoth
08-12-2015, 04:29 AM
Then why spend a Feat on a one handed exotic weapon proficiency?

Masters touch does not work for exotic weapons. Simple, martial and all shields only. Only the feat works for exotics; dwarfs, of course, get the d-axe feat for free, some items like the madstone shield, grant proficiency when they are equipped.