PDA

View Full Version : The quest for green steel

Xathris
08-10-2015, 11:25 AM
As a new player, my highest lvl toon is 23rd lvl. Just found out about green steel. He is a dual wielding chops fighter/ranger. At 23rd lvl, I won't find anyone to help me with the Veil quests, and I can't figure out Let Sleeping Dust Lie, other than don't kill spiders. Here's what i know:

1. Skip first tome until end so that I can kill spiders as much as I want.
2. Can't find how to get in mausoleum, used DDO store items to unlock all the doors I could.

Should I just give up on getting green steel from this toon, and wait until I can join a party with a lower level toon?

Is doing the Vault 20 times even fun?

Will watching one of those 40 minute walkthrough videos even help (though I dread watching a 40 minute walkthrough vid).

Thanks

Grailhawk
08-10-2015, 11:31 AM

That's your issue, by not taking the first tome in order you aren't getting the key that will let you open doors to find the second tome. Just try playing the quest strait until you figure it out.

EllisDee37
08-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Skip the first book only until you clear all six halls up to the locked doors. Then go back and pick up the book, continuing the quest normally.

Greensteel weapons are really only useful as TR twink items. There are (much) better epic weapons to get.

Maelphistez
08-10-2015, 11:36 AM
There should be plenty of guildies willing to help you with ingredients / quests to help you make your first GS item. Are you not in a guild with people willing to help? What server are you on?

Dust is harder on a melee than ranged or caster. You say you are a ranger, just switch to a bow and turn on Precise Shot. Hard target the ogre bosses with each group of spiders; kill the ogres and the spiders will go passive. Move to the next group. Repeat as necessary until you complete the quest. There is no door that you need to open in the quest that requires Open Locks or store items to progress.

Kompera_Oberon
08-10-2015, 12:54 PM
As a new player, my highest lvl toon is 23rd lvl. Just found out about green steel. He is a dual wielding chops fighter/ranger. At 23rd lvl, I won't find anyone to help me with the Veil quests,
The good news is that at 23rd level you don't need any help to run the Vale quests. :)

The bad news is that crafting greensteel is a very "farmy" activity. There are required materials which only drop in the flagging quests, and you'll have to run all five of them each ~5 times to collect the mats for a single GS item. Plus you'll need a few Shround runs (and don't forget to use the NPC vendor to purchase a goodly supply of Shavarath Energy Cells! If you're serious about crafting GS and the Shroud runs are rare you'll want to grab ~100 of each) and/or Devil Assault runs and/or Amrath quest runs or all three to collect the other mats and the Shards of Power/Great Power/Supreme Power you have to have.

Farming Epic DA is a ~30 minute run which will occasionally yield Shards and always/almost always drops a few small/medium/large GS mats, and you won't have to roll off against other players for the Shards if you solo it.

[...] I can't figure out Let Sleeping Dust Lie, other than don't kill spiders. Here's what i know:

2. Can't find how to get in mausoleum, used DDO store items to unlock all the doors I could.

Ok, you want to kill all the Ogres on the first level before you pick up the first tome. Use this killing spree to practice killing the Ogres without killing the spiders, as 5 spider kills will fail the quest once you pick up that tome. Killing via a ranged weapon is a good strategy, and as a TWF at least you don't have to worry about glancing blows. Be sure to take off any damaging guard items so the spiders don't suicide as they attack you.

Once all the Ogres on the first level are dead, pick up the book. This will spawn an orange named Ogre in one of the passages. Find him and kill him, he drops the key to get to the upper level.

Before you enter one of the previously locked doors to the upper level, use TAB to locate the second tome. Go through one of the doors which leads to the second tome. There's no need to clear any further on the upper floor. Once you pick it up an orange named Ogre will spawn in the main room on the first level. Jump down and kill him, he drops the key to the spider queen room.

Enter the spider queen room, kill all the Ogres and the orange named Rakshasa who spawns near the end of that fight. Once he is dead the weak ground in the main room collapses and you can jump down into the mausoleum. The mausoleum door cannot be opened. As you jump down push east and you'll miss the spikes.

Make your way down the hall, killing everything. In one of the side halls you'll encounter an orange named Rakshasa who drops the key to the boss room.

Open the boss room door and kill all the mobs outside the forcefield. Solve the puzzles, leaving one of the ones by the door for last. Once you solve the last one the forcefield will drop. Kill the boss and his friends and you've completed the run. The boss comes with 4 spiders, so if you haven't killed any up to this point you can safely kill them all without failing the quest. If you have killed a few spiders and there is the danger of failing the quest during this fight, you probably have a +30% move speed item and can can kite the spiders down the hall and then get back to the boss fight with enough time to kill him before they return.

Should I just give up on getting green steel from this toon, and wait until I can join a party with a lower level toon?

Will watching one of those 40 minute walkthrough videos even help (though I dread watching a 40 minute walkthrough vid).

Whether or not to give up is up to you, but having a lower level toon shouldn't be a part of that decision. Shround runs are typically for the GS mats, not the EXP, so being higher level shouldn't preclude you from participating. And you can more easily and quickly farm the Vale quests at higher level, also.

Again, whether something is fun is all up to you, but you don't need 20 Shround runs to make a few GS items. The only thing 20 Shroud runs gives you is the ability to wear more than a single GS non-weapon item at a time.

You don't need to watch a video, but familiarizing yourself with the Vale quests and the Shroud raid via the wiki (http://ddowiki.com/page/Vale) is a good idea.

Greensteel weapons are really only useful as TR twink items. There are (much) better epic weapons to get.

This is only partially true, because GS items other than weapons can be made, and some of those are useful well beyond their minimum level to equip. I've seen many epic level gear lists which include a +45 HP GS item (with other effects on it such as perma-Blur as well), and I've seen people recommend that you carry 3-4 GS items for the Displacement clicky alone, even at level cap.

But yes, the weapons are mostly good for a TR. But you can make Trap the Soul weapons and guard items if you need to collect soul stones for Cannith crafting, and I've seen a fun build for boosting summons/hires which uses GS ooze spawning weapons to create a small army of oozes to do your fighting for you.

Lonnbeimnech
08-10-2015, 01:40 PM
As a new player, my highest lvl toon is 23rd lvl. Just found out about green steel. He is a dual wielding chops fighter/ranger. At 23rd lvl, I won't find anyone to help me with the Veil quests, and I can't figure out Let Sleeping Dust Lie, other than don't kill spiders. Here's what i know:

Thanks
You are looking at an old guide.

There was a long standing bug in that quest that allowed you to climb the walls in the main room and get to the second book, this is no longer possible.

You have to pick up the first book to get the key to go up to the second level to get the second book, and that means getting past several spiders on the way.

Take off any guard items (things that cause damage to mobs that attack you) and don't use a two handed weapon since you can easilly kill the spiders by accident.

But honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Greensteel items are great to have at level 12, but by 23, not really. The displacement clickies and haste clickies are nice to have but not the weapons.

PentegarnDarras
08-10-2015, 02:50 PM
At 23rd lvl, I won't find anyone to help me with the Veil quests...

Ditto

The good news is that at 23rd level you don't need any help to run the Vale quests...

The quests aren't too bad to solo at that level, but running the shroud solo on a ranged character is difficult.
I've never got my arti past the first area because he doesn't have the DPS to take down the portals in time.

JOTMON
08-10-2015, 03:13 PM

Thanks

What server are you on...
I can help if on Argo..
could also try putting up a LFM for help..

EllisDee37
08-10-2015, 03:23 PM
What server are you on...
I can help if on Argo..
could also try putting up a LFM for help..Yeah, if looking for help running Shroud on Argo count me in too.

PentegarnDarras
08-10-2015, 03:36 PM
I'll help if you're on G-Land.

Enoach
08-10-2015, 03:39 PM
As others have pointed out, you need to pick up the first book to get the Ogre Mage with the Key needed to get the second book. Once you have the second book you will get another Ogre Mage that drops the key to the Spider Queen. Once you save the queen you will be able to continue.

Now, I think a lot of people tend to make this quest harder on themselves then it needs to be.

First, Avoid AoE effects, this does not just mean spells, but includes what happens when you wield a Two Handed Weapon or Two Weapon Fighting. Using a single weapon can help to remove hitting what you don't want. Additionally as a Ranger with Precise Shot you can use a Bow in a similar manner and avoid hitting spiders.

Also, guards; Don't wear guards that cause damage, guards that give boosts like haste are good. The only guard effects that are not going to work against you is that which causes acid damage since the Spiders are immune to acid.

Xathris
08-11-2015, 10:14 AM
As others have pointed out, you need to pick up the first book to get the Ogre Mage with the Key needed to get the second book. Once you have the second book you will get another Ogre Mage that drops the key to the Spider Queen. Once you save the queen you will be able to continue.

Now, I think a lot of people tend to make this quest harder on themselves then it needs to be.

First, Avoid AoE effects, this does not just mean spells, but includes what happens when you wield a Two Handed Weapon or Two Weapon Fighting. Using a single weapon can help to remove hitting what you don't want. Additionally as a Ranger with Precise Shot you can use a Bow in a similar manner and avoid hitting spiders.

Also, guards; Don't wear guards that cause damage, guards that give boosts like haste are good. The only guard effects that are not going to work against you is that which causes acid damage since the Spiders are immune to acid.

I did all of this, it took at least two hours to get to this point. I went down into the mausoleum, killed some stuff, and next I know, I was back out of the quest, and I had to start over FROM THE BEGINNING!!!! What is up with that? Some kind of secret back entrance. Now I need to do the whole thing again.

Hafeal
08-11-2015, 10:39 AM
I did all of this, it took at least two hours to get to this point. I went down into the mausoleum, killed some stuff, and next I know, I was back out of the quest, and I had to start over FROM THE BEGINNING!!!! What is up with that? Some kind of secret back entrance. Now I need to do the whole thing again.

I would hazard a guess you failed the quest because you killed too many spiders. You cannot kill more than 5.

There are 4 in the end fight. If you can do the quest up to the end fight (in the Mausoleum) without killing a spider, you can go to town. Otherwise, you have to be very careful. In the quest dialogue box is a counter telling you how many you have killed.

Coyopa
08-11-2015, 11:53 AM
If you're on Sarlona, I'll be happy to help you. Just hit me up on whichever character (from my sig) I am on. I am mostly on Acaat, Atlacoya, Temporarily, or Coyopa right now.

Xathris
08-11-2015, 08:45 PM
If you're on Sarlona, I'll be happy to help you. Just hit me up on whichever character (from my sig) I am on. I am mostly on Acaat, Atlacoya, Temporarily, or Coyopa right now.

I will! I'll see if you are on when I'm on.

I would hazard a guess you failed the quest because you killed too many spiders. You cannot kill more than 5.

There are 4 in the end fight. If you can do the quest up to the end fight (in the Mausoleum) without killing a spider, you can go to town. Otherwise, you have to be very careful. In the quest dialogue box is a counter telling you how many you have killed.

There were no spiders where I was. At that point there were three spiders left. I killed one or to rakshahsa and a couple of ogres. Who knows, maybe I killed some I didn't see. I did run out of arrows by then...

ThePrincipal
08-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Greensteel is not worth it. The Heroic levels zoom so fast that once you gear up around level 8-10 you can use that gear level 16-18 gear is available and then either TR or get epic gear.

Coyopa
08-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Greensteel is not worth it. The Heroic levels zoom so fast that once you gear up around level 8-10 you can use that gear level 16-18 gear is available and then either TR or get epic gear.

Really? It's not worth it? Hmmm. I would disagree there. In fact, I've got epic characters still wearing their green steel items. I have a 17 bard/3 fighter with Ash2 bracers on (30 Fire Resist, 10 Inherent Fire Resist, Fear Immunity, Negative Level Guard) - and this gives him a standing 65 Fire Resistance - and Smoke2 helm (permanent Blur, 45 hitpoints, 2/day Displacement clicky). Granted, weapons are less useful at higher levels, but they're still useful until at least 20. In fact, that same character has an Ash2 greataxe which bypasses Good DR (useful in Running With The Devils), inflicts negative levels, has unholy damage and flaming burst. His Min2 greataxe is still useful for the vast array of DR types it bypasses, plus the fact that he get 2/day Stoneskin clicky, and it has acid and acid burst which makes it useful for Fiend-Blood Trolls (which are either immune to fire or have a very high resistance to it). I still use his Pos3 greataxe for taking down undead (Greater Disruption ftw until I can get him closer to cap and he can get a different weapon with Greater Disruption on it). Some of my characters have Min2 bracers or other worn gear (100% fortification, 45 hitpoints, Stoneskin clicky).

The sheer flexibility and customizability makes green steel useful for a very long time. Plus, if you TR, they're incomparable at the levels you get them.