PDA

View Full Version : New to game, familiar with WoW mages - got advice on a pure sorceror build for me?

ChaosWolf1982
08-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Basically just what the title says - I'm new to this game, been playing WoW for years, so I'm more familiar with that game's arcane/elemental spellwork... not interested in multiclassing, not until I get more familiar with how this game works anyway... so, what advice/build tips can you give me?

Also, why Sorceror and not Wizard? Blame Geek And Sundry - I kinda became enamored with their Critical Role series, and the dragonborn sorceror Tiberius Stormwind. I know DDO is 3.5-ish, while their game is 5E, and dragonborn aren't an option here, but hey, I'm still interested.

Missing_Minds
08-06-2015, 09:20 PM
*looks at post date, looks at join date, and just raises an eyebrow*

Take everything you know about WoW, stick it in a corner and forget it exists. That will be your best starting point.

Thalone
08-06-2015, 09:46 PM
You could theoretically build a Sorc if someone gives you advice or links you to a build. However, my advice would be to start with Wizard instead, for a number of reasons.

Wizards get lots of bonus feats, which helps you to explore how to gear and play with arcane magic. Sorcs do get a much larger spell point pool than Wizards though.

Wizards can swap their spells out at taverns and rest shrines, so you can adapt your spell list to the situation, or if you find that you don't end up liking a certain spell, you can just replace it. Sorcs cannot swap spells easily. You can end up having no useful spells against certain opponents if you don't know the content.

Wizards' main stat is INT, which is great, because this has the side effect of giving you more skill points to play with each level.

If Wizard sounds like a good idea to you, here is EllisDee's Pale Trapper build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/422622).

Also, if you can buy Warlock (I have not played it myself yet), it is widely accepted as the current easy-button class to play through heroics. Their main attack is cast at-range and has no spell point cost, so is highly spammable.

Jiirix
08-07-2015, 04:27 AM
Hello Chaoswolf!

Basic Nuker Sorc
Sorcerer 20
True Neutral Warforged

Stats
. . . . . . . .28pt
. . . . . . . .----
Strength. . . . .8 only good for carrying stuff around and jump, but you got a spell for that.
Dexterity . . . .8 only good for your reflex save, you can add points here on later lives
Constitution. . 18 for hitpoints - this build has good hitpoints for a first liver and some (most?) players see hitpoints as a indicator for a good or bad build
Intelligence. . 10 we want at least the concentration skill and spellcraft, next in line would be the repair skill (+2 INT tome or starting INT 12 then)
Wisdom. . . . . .6 only good for your willsave but that is your best save anyway
Charisma. . . . 16 main casting abillty and spellpoints. . .

Skills
. . . . . 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
. . . . .------------------------------------------------------------
Concent . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Spellcr . 2. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 21
Tumble. . 1. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
. . . . . 8. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2. 2

Concentration is for not getting interuped when casting, one point in tumble let you tumble and spellcraft increases spell damage.

Feats

.1. . . . : Maximize Spell - use it for free on all your spell like abilties
.3. . . . : Empower Spell - use it for free on all your spell like abilties
.6. . . . : Spell Focus: Conjuration - for acid spells and web
.9. . . . : Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration - for acid spells and web
12. . . . : Heighten Spell - mainly for web
15. . . . : Mental Toughness - more Spelloints
18. . . . : Improved Mental Toughness - even more spellpoints

No spell penetration feats because most spells you use ignore spell resistance anyway.

Spells

Master's Touch, Repair Light Damage, Hypnotism, Jump (Swap masters and repair for nightshield and detect secret doors when you swap to full time nuking and get better repair spells)
Resist Energy, Knock, Blur, Web
Acid Blast, Displacement, Repair Serious Damage, Rage
Acid Rain, Wall of Fire, Stoneskin, Dimension Door
Teleport, Eladar's Electric Surge, Niac's Biting Cold, Mind Fog
Reconstruct, Greater Heroism, Necrotic Ray
Otto's Sphere of Dancing, Delayed Blast Fireball, Finger of Death
Black Dragon Bolt, Otto's Irresistible Dance, Sunburst
Meteor Swarm, Mass Hold Monster, Power Word: Kill

Enhancements (80 AP)

Warforged (13 AP)
Improved Fortification, Warforged Constitution, Improved Fortification II, Warforged Constitution II If you have the harper tree you can swap some points from warforged to harper. This warforged points make you harder to kill (Hitpoints, better selfhealing and better resistance against critical hits)
Mechanist III, Inscribed Armor I

Earth Savant (41 AP)
Earth Savant, Earth Affinity, Greater Earth Affinity, Crumbling, One With Stone, Elemental Apotheosis
Acid Spray III, Spell Critical, Erosion III (Get Acid spray on a hotkey and spamm it)
Efficient Maximize I, Spell Critical, Devouring Earth III
Spell Critical, Charisma
Acid Arrow III, Spell Critical, Charisma (Get Acid Arrow on a hotkey and spamm it)
Acid Blast III, Awaken Elemental Weakness, Conjuration Focus, Power of Flame (Get Acid Blast on the hotkey you use most and spamm it whenever it is of timer, use the Weakness on bosses)

Fire Savant (26 AP)
Fire Savant, Fire Affinity, Greater Fire Affinity, Immolation (Immoation is more free fire damage that works passive on the spells you cast anyway)
Burning Hands III, Spell Critical, Conflagration III (Get Burning hands on a hotkey and spamm it)
Spell Critical, Fanning the Flames III (Enhancemants like Fanning get you free Spellpoints, great for spamming even more cheap SLAs)
Spell Critical, Charisma
Scorch III, Charisma (Get Scortch on a hotkey and spamm it)

Playing a Sorc from level 1 to 20 is easy and fun and it gets you a passive bonus called "pastlife" that is great for any further caster life of your choice. (+30 Spellpoints and +1 to Evocation/Damage spells) After reaching level 20 you can go back to level 1 and select a new race/class combination, you get more abiltiy points for your second and third life and every pastlife gets such a passive bonus on top. (Up to 3 times per class). Warforged sorceress get supreme selfhealing and can be played the classic nuker style in heroic levels. Therefore it isn't a bad thing to start as a nuking Sorc as a first live. If you like it you can reincarnate into a even more powerful sorc, if not you can swap to an other caster class. (I wouldn’t recommend a non warforged/bladeforged sorc as a first hero, because it is a pain to keep “fleshy” sorcs alive without decent gear.)

That some players advice against sorcs is because of their performance after reaching level 20 in epic levels 21-28/30. But as a new player I wouldn't mind too much about epic level on a first life hero (yet). In the contrary: Most builds here on the forums are designed for best performance in endgame and are awful to level up. Sorcs are blast from the beginning. The build I posted is what I used for 3 quick sorcerer pastlives. It uses a synergy between the earth enhancement tree and the spells web, acid-blast, acid-rain and fire-wall:

The earth tree gives you bonuses to the conjuration spell school and damage spells, that can be spamm-cast without needing much spellpoints (spell-like ability/ SLA “Acidblast). It plays like this: Use the spell web with the feat “heighten” active to trap a bunch of mobs. Web is from the conjuration school and does not allow a save and ignores spell-resistance, the mobs only get a STR check to break free and the STR of most mobs is far lower than their saves against spells. That’s why web is a good spell to use with fresh made heroes and it works on most mobs in the game. Mobs trapped in a web then get nuked with spells that won’t burn the web away (like fireball does). Acidblast, Scorch, Firewall and acid rain are great for this and can be used on the same spot. (There is no persisted area of effect lighting spell, firewall and icestorm can’t be used at the same spot and that’s why I don’t use the Ice and Air trees.) When playing in groups and zerging through quests you won’t need webs most of the time (let the meatshields take agro), just nuke away with your SLAs and use firewall/acid rain on big groups and bosses. While you will have good Hitpoints for a fresh caster and warforged are immune to a lot of harming effect your reflex save will be your weakest spot that’s why you should always look for enemy casters and web/kill them first (Most other casting builds don't get great reflex saves either and getting the casters out first is what is exspected from caster heroes anyway)

At the very first levels it is easier to grab a weapon and hit on mobs with it, using your magic just for buffs and selfheals. Masters-Touch let you use any non-exotic weapon you get, swap it for nightshield when you go full time nuking. Some words on the other spells I selected: Reconstruct, stoneskin, blur, rage, resist energy, jump, nightshield and greater heroism are what keeps you alive in most situations. Cast a displacement when there in situations with lots of enemy archers or when you are in melee range of mobs (what you should avoid). Eldars Electric Surge and Nicacs biting cold are DOTs for bosses and mobs that are immune to acid and fire. Black dragon bold, delayed fireball and meteor swarm are pure damage spells for the higer levels. Knock opens locked doors, Sunburst blinds enemies without save, Dimension door make a lot of quests easier to run, not having teleport is a pain. Otto’s irresistible dance and powerword kill are to take out single powerfull foes (they get no save) Finger of death can be used on enemy casters (low fortitude save) to get them out first. Use a necrotic ray on them first to weaken their saves further. (Damaged mobs loose saves and negative levels make them lose saves too.) Otto’s Sphere of Dancing is a longtime persistent crowd control (when other party members keep burning away your webs.) It works better when you use Hypnotism and mind fog along with the Sphere of Dancing. (Hypno for a instant -3 to will saves and mind fog for a further -10 to will saves, but the mobs have to fail the first one for the fog to work. ) Same thing with hold monster (you get a 150% damage bonus when damageing held mobs). First a hypno and then a hold.

unbongwah
08-07-2015, 09:35 AM
.1. . . . : Maximize Spell - use it for free on all your spell like abilties
.3. . . . : Empower Spell - use it for free on all your spell like abilties
.6. . . . : Spell Focus: Conjuration - for acid spells and web
.9. . . . : Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration - for acid spells and web
12. . . . : Heighten Spell - mainly for web
15. . . . : Mental Toughness - more Spelloints
18. . . . : Improved Mental Toughness - even more spellpoints

I'll just say that (A) I rarely if ever feel like I need extra SPs on a sorc (and when I do, I usually want a lot more than what the MT feats provide) and (B) given the PRR/MRR system, I would definitely take at least Mithral Body on a WF/BF sorc. So I'd prefer to take Mithral Body + an extra metamagic (Quicken, Extend, or maybe Enlarge).

Ofc, since OP didn't mention if they have WF unlocked, this may be a moot discussion...

ChaosWolf1982
08-07-2015, 11:58 AM
*looks at post date, looks at join date, and just raises an eyebrow*

Take everything you know about WoW, stick it in a corner and forget it exists. That will be your best starting point.

The date/posting discrepancy is easy to explain. I got the trial version long ago, but right after I got it had computer problems and then moved, so I never got to use it and forgot about it. Ran across the activation email while digging through my old files, and found the game had gone F2P in the time I was away, so I finally got a chance to try it.

Missing_Minds
08-07-2015, 12:08 PM
The date/posting discrepancy is easy to explain. I got the trial version long ago, but right after I got it had computer problems and then moved, so I never got to use it and forgot about it. Ran across the activation email while digging through my old files, and found the game had gone F2P in the time I was away, so I finally got a chance to try it.

Fair enough. But I was serious about taking what you know of WoW and ignoring it utterly.

Example: DDO being my first MMO, I got used to being able to beat hard to take down creatures that were CRs above our level via teamwork and skill. Then I tried Lotro and had no clue what color labling of mobs means. Rear end royally handed to me, lesson learned.

Also, you'll probably want to tell folks what you do and don't have access to when it comes to builds. If you never really did anything, I doubt you have access to WF, drow, or any of the archtypes. That can change build suggestions for you dramatically.

Lastly, I hope you have fun in game. :)

ChaosWolf1982
08-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Fair enough. But I was serious about taking what you know of WoW and ignoring it utterly.

Example: DDO being my first MMO, I got used to being able to beat hard to take down creatures that were CRs above our level via teamwork and skill. Then I tried Lotro and had no clue what color labling of mobs means. Rear end royally handed to me, lesson learned.

Also, you'll probably want to tell folks what you do and don't have access to when it comes to builds. If you never really did anything, I doubt you have access to WF, drow, or any of the archtypes. That can change build suggestions for you dramatically.

Lastly, I hope you have fun in game. :)

Yeah, I ain't got WF or drow or really anything past the base game - I'm not in a situation where I can buy the points or whatever needed to unlock anything (which is a shame because I really want more character slots, and exotic combinations like a Warforged Artificer sound really neat - robot gunslinger with robot pet, woo!).

So right now my best seeming option is Human Wizard/Sorceror for caster...

Missing_Minds
08-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I ain't got WF or drow or really anything past the base game - I'm not in a situation where I can buy the points or whatever needed to unlock anything (which is a shame because I really want more character slots, and exotic combinations like a Warforged Artificer sound really neat - robot gunslinger with robot pet, woo!).

The artificer dog... I don't think they've ever fixed the bugs with it. :( It really is ignoreable as it tends to become microsofted in about 2-3 minutes of actual use and you have to reboot it. (and that doesn't always fix it.)

Last time I did any number punching, humans could keep up with drow in so far as ablity scores go for spell DCs.

When starting out, my suggestion is try out all the races. (if you are anything like my wife, looks matter) See which one fits your... sensiblities the most. Play for FUN. You *will* have enough power to be effects no matter your race. Maybe not elite ubber top sheet of the paper stack, but quite solid.

And don't buy drow. You'll be able to unlock that one in game easily enough, honestly.

Also with starting out, don't be afraid to re roll rather than spending money to attempt to respec. There are no bonus for specific age of characters.

*looks at the build you were given* My one issue with it is the strength value of 8. Your strength matters on characters. Not in the aspect of how much can you punch someone. (you are a caster afterall) But in how well you can carry your loot. Once you hit a medium load, you become encumbered and that slows you down. Most players end up thinking the game has just glitched them. Nope, just a game mechanic. As a new player without funds or gear, it will take you a while to get items that will augment your strength enough to make this a non issue.

Also, same name bonus do NOT stack. So your generic +1 stat items that you'll find easily... 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 2.
+1 str and +1 wis = to +1 str and +1 wis.
but
+1 str, +2 str, +1 wis, +1 str = +2 str, +1 wis.
Same name bonus, only the highest value applies. Fortunately there are many types of bonus. Enhancement, luck, "unnamed", etc.
So +1 enchancment str and +1 luck str = +2 str bonus over all.

ChaosWolf1982
08-07-2015, 08:34 PM
The artificer dog... I don't think they've ever fixed the bugs with it. :( It really is ignoreable as it tends to become microsofted in about 2-3 minutes of actual use and you have to reboot it. (and that doesn't always fix it.)

Last time I did any number punching, humans could keep up with drow in so far as ablity scores go for spell DCs.

When starting out, my suggestion is try out all the races. (if you are anything like my wife, looks matter) See which one fits your... sensiblities the most. Play for FUN. You *will* have enough power to be effects no matter your race. Maybe not elite ubber top sheet of the paper stack, but quite solid.

And don't buy drow. You'll be able to unlock that one in game easily enough, honestly.

Also with starting out, don't be afraid to re roll rather than spending money to attempt to respec. There are no bonus for specific age of characters.

*looks at the build you were given* My one issue with it is the strength value of 8. Your strength matters on characters. Not in the aspect of how much can you punch someone. (you are a caster afterall) But in how well you can carry your loot. Once you hit a medium load, you become encumbered and that slows you down. Most players end up thinking the game has just glitched them. Nope, just a game mechanic. As a new player without funds or gear, it will take you a while to get items that will augment your strength enough to make this a non issue.

Also, same name bonus do NOT stack. So your generic +1 stat items that you'll find easily... 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 2.
+1 str and +1 wis = to +1 str and +1 wis.
but
+1 str, +2 str, +1 wis, +1 str = +2 str, +1 wis.
Same name bonus, only the highest value applies. Fortunately there are many types of bonus. Enhancement, luck, "unnamed", etc.
So +1 enchancment str and +1 luck str = +2 str bonus over all.

Duly noted and appreciated.

...now if only I could get used to the non-regenerating HP and spell-points...

Lorianus
08-10-2015, 04:16 AM

I would play a human pale master in that case, because it's the seond best self healing caster behind warforged casters. But be warned, non warforged casters can be a pain on first lives.

What plays a bit like the "glasscanon" style casters have in other games is the mechanic in DDO, but without the Spellpoint struggle. (With "use magic device" you can use "conjure bolts" scrolls. Those stack to 100 and get you 1000 bolts per cast. That's 100000 bolts in one inventory slot.. ass cheap and you can just keep on shooting while the caster get out of spellpoints.) Just stay back, wait until a meatbag etablished aggro and shot it in the back. Sometimes you get the mobs aggro with lucky crits, but that's no problem because it will be dead with the next one anyway :)

A first live pure mechanic is totaly solid even in the late epic levels. Bonuses beside the awsome and unlimited pew-pew are that you get warned when traps are near (very handy as a new player) and you can disable traps. Because you can also find hidden doors and open locked chest you will be always welcome in pugs, even if all you did was getting that juicy 30% XP bonus for the group. The artis dog is kind of lacking anyway... An other bonus when playing an mechanic are the bombs and traps you can use. The DC of web traps is far higher (and easier to get) than the DC the sorccers build above gets. My halfing (halfling get's good self healing and more sneak attack damage) mechanic has this build:

Pure Halfling Mechanic
Rogue 20
True Neutral Halfling

Stats
. . . . . . . .28pt . . Level Up
. . . . . . . .---- . . --------
Strength. . . . .8. . . .4: INT
Dexterity . . . 18. . . .8: INT
Constitution. . 14. . . 12: DEX
Intelligence. . 16. . . 16: INT
Wisdom. . . . . .8. . . 20: INT
Charisma. . . . .8. . . 24: INT
. . . . . . . . . . . . 28: INT

Skills
. . . . . 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Disable . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Open Lo . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Search. . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Spot. . . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Bluff . . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Jump. . . 3. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 2. 23
Hide. . . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Move Si . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Haggle. . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
UMD . . . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Balance . . . . . . . . . . . .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .2 .14
Heal. . . 2. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. . .11
Tumble. . 1. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
. . . . .44 11 11 11 11 11 11 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 13

Feats

.1. . . . : Least Dragonmark: Healing
.3. . . . : Rapid Reload
.6. . . . : Point Blank Shot
.9. . . . : Rapid Shot
10 Rogue. : Improved Evasion
12. . . . : Improved Critical: Ranged
13 Rogue. : Slippery Mind
15. . . . : Precise Shot
16 Rogue. : Opportunist
18. . . . : Improved Precise Shot
19 Rogue. : Skill Mastery
21 Epic . : Overwhelming Critical
24 Epic . : Precision
26 Destiny: Epic Spell Power: Positive
27 Epic . : Watchful Eye
28 Destiny: Doubleshot

Enhancements (80 AP)

Mechanic (44 AP)
Arbalester, Tanglefoot, Targeting Sights, Improved Detection, Expert Builder, Hip Flask
Sharpshooter, Awareness III
Sharpshooter, Improved Traps III, Wand and Scroll Mastery III
Sharpshooter, Intelligence
Sharpshooter, Fletching III, Leg Shot, Intelligence
Sharpshooter, Rapid Fire III, Time Bomb III, Sniper, Mechanical Reloader

Assassin (17 AP)
Knife in the Darkness
Sneak Attack Training, Stealthy II
Venomed Blades III, Sneak Attack Training
Critical Mastery III, Sneak Attack Training, Intelligence

Halfling (19 AP)
Halfling Luck, Dexterity, Halfling Luck II
Jorasco Dragonmark Focus III, Cunning III
Lesser Dragonmark of Healing, Break out the Leeches, Halfling Guile
Greater Dragonmark of Healing, Halfling Guile
Halfling Guile

Destiny (24 AP)

Legendary Dreadnought
Extra Action Boost III, Constitution
Damage Boost III, Constitution
Critical Damage III, Haste Boost III, Constitution
Constitution
Devastating Critical
Master's Blitz

Twists of Fate (6 fate points)
Rejuvenation Cocoon (Tier 1 Primal)
Unearthly Reactions (Tier 1 Magister)
Stay Frosty (Tier 1 Shirardi)

Jiirix
08-10-2015, 09:04 AM
I'll just say that I rarely if ever feel like I need extra SPs on a sorc.

That's the same for me NOW. But back when I was new to the game I ran out of spellpoints all the time. Imagen running without those nice +400 SP at level 5 from the vibrant purpel ion stone and no pots at all.

MacRighteous
08-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Stay away from the forums - forget about custom "optimized" builds - forget about WoW - just roll a toon (what ever you want) and play the content. Roll a wizard and a sorc... play them both through Korthos (up to 3rd/4th level) then continue with the one you like better. Use www.ddowiki.com if you get stuck and just have fun with the golden period of DDO... that period when you dont know about bugs and half finished content or the pointless grinds and time/tp/plat sinks - that period that you can never get back if you listen to the forumites because the forums will just make you jaded and suck all the fun out of the game - custom builds are usually for multi life end game toons dependent on gear and "Pa-whar" and knowledge of content - and knowledge of WoW isn't going to help you with any of that.

You basically have two choices - F2P and buy content (because you'll start to need it in your teen levels - that's where saving earned favor TP's come in) or sub and have mostly everything from the gate. Personally I went F2P - farmed TP's - bought content as I needed it - 6 years later I have nothing left to buy - so now I sub for free TPs and just buy hearts and shards /facepalm.

USE WWW.DDOWIKI.COM

Jiirix
08-11-2015, 03:25 AM
If you want to try more classes the you have character slot just test the class on a different server, you get the slots per server. Play it until you reach 50 favor on that server and get a 100 Turbine Points (cross serves, you can spend it on your homeserver) for that. Look into the LFMs now and then to see how many other players are online with you, that way you can find a server with players in the same timezone.

ChaosWolf1982
08-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Stay away from the forums - forget about custom "optimized" builds - forget about WoW - just roll a toon (what ever you want) and play the content. Roll a wizard and a sorc... play them both through Korthos (up to 3rd/4th level) then continue with the one you like better. Use www.ddowiki.com if you get stuck and just have fun with the golden period of DDO... that period when you dont know about bugs and half finished content or the pointless grinds and time/tp/plat sinks - that period that you can never get back if you listen to the forumites because the forums will just make you jaded and suck all the fun out of the game - custom builds are usually for multi life end game toons dependent on gear and "Pa-whar" and knowledge of content - and knowledge of WoW isn't going to help you with any of that.

You basically have two choices - F2P and buy content (because you'll start to need it in your teen levels - that's where saving earned favor TP's come in) or sub and have mostly everything from the gate. Personally I went F2P - farmed TP's - bought content as I needed it - 6 years later I have nothing left to buy - so now I sub for free TPs and just buy hearts and shards /facepalm.

USE WWW.DDOWIKI.COM

SIX YEARS?! I'm not sure I want to grind my way through a game that long... does it really take that much work to get unlocks without using real money to get enough points for Store purchases?

Missing_Minds
08-13-2015, 12:22 AM
SIX YEARS?! I'm not sure I want to grind my way through a game that long... does it really take that much work to get unlocks without using real money to get enough points for Store purchases?
I don't know about the time frame and point farming, but lets just say while you can get in game points to buy stuff it will take a bit. and if you want a lot of it, oh boy... (yeah, game has content, contary to the long time player posts. go figure.)

Play the game for a few months, and save up some money. Then if you have found you still enjoyed the game, sub for a time. this way you can play with more of what the game has to offer. This will help to show you where you want to spend your points that you have accured, let alone during your time as a vip you'll also be given a stipend of points. Then when/if you are back as a free player, you'll have enough points to buy a few things that would be worth while and useful for you.

P.S. While the wiki is a darn good source for information (and you should use it), there will be times you may not understand something because you don't quite get the underlining game mechanics. By all means ASK. Here or in game itself. Don't avoid the forums just because some people say not to do so.

I have found one of the faster way to get answers is when someone actually says the wrong thing. People so love to correct others. ;) I've abused that a few times in game because I don't have time to explain it myself but see that it gets ignored. So I'd pipe in with wrong information which every single time 2 to 3 other people suddenly decide to speak up and give the correct detailed answers.

btolson
08-13-2015, 01:08 AM
I'll second the advice to play a (probably human) wizard, for the sake of self-healing as an undead palemaster. Using hirelings to keep yourself alive used to work pretty well, but their AI is getting worse and worse. You definitely want to self-heal at this point, and palemasters are pretty much immortal in the majority of heroic content.

While leveling up, refer to this page (http://ddowiki.com/page/Scrolls#Scrolls_not_available_from_vendors) under the section "Scrolls not available from vendors", for the spells you should prioritize taking for free as part of the leveling process.

ChaosWolf1982
08-13-2015, 11:23 PM
I'll second the advice to play a (probably human) wizard, for the sake of self-healing as an undead palemaster. Using hirelings to keep yourself alive used to work pretty well, but their AI is getting worse and worse. You definitely want to self-heal at this point, and palemasters are pretty much immortal in the majority of heroic content.

While leveling up, refer to this page (http://ddowiki.com/page/Scrolls#Scrolls_not_available_from_vendors) under the section "Scrolls not available from vendors", for the spells you should prioritize taking for free as part of the leveling process.

Is leveling my only chance at getting those spells, or is there other ways to obtain them? I mean, I doubt I'll be able to get them all via levelling alone.

Jiirix
08-14-2015, 05:58 AM
Is leveling my only chance at getting those spells, or is there other ways to obtain them? I mean, I doubt I'll be able to get them all via levelling alone.

The rare spells can't be bought at the vendor, but most of them drop ingame. You can still find them, buy them from the AH or get them from our well stacked guild storage ;)

btolson
08-14-2015, 08:16 PM

As above, you can indeed find them in chests (but the odds of getting the ones you need by the earliest time you want them are slim to nil) or buy them from the AH, but in order for them to be on the AH someone else obviously has to have looted them and decided it was worth posting them. 9th level spells are usually easy to find on AH because they drop often in epic content, but 4th, 5th, etc are much more hit-or-miss. It'll just make your life a lot easier if you can get all the rare spells you really care about from leveling.

A good strategy is to buy what you can from the AH before leveling, then filling in the critical blanks when you level.

Endarire
09-17-2015, 10:26 PM
DDO is a freemium game. Turbine wants to equate the spending of money with feelings of pleasure, fun, and excitement/accomplishment. Much of DDO you can get with a monthly subscription. (It's worth it once you finish Korthos - if you still are interested in DDO once you finish Korthos.) WoW has a level barrier where free players can't progress past, but DDO's is less obvious.

Build-wise, I advise Pale Trapper as well. It's simple, it's effective, it's free.