PDA

View Full Version : Slow Mo Mystery

Rig_O_Mortis
07-30-2015, 06:19 PM
Problem:

After approximately 1.5 hours of play, my character will start moving very slowly upon entering a quest and remain slow in any quest I enter until I redo my ship buffs. Up until that point, all is well. Public areas aren’t affected, but wilderness areas are. This is happening to all of my alts.

• I am not unequipping any speed item
• The only ship buff I see involving speed is Chronoscope, and that involves a +40% Enhancement bonus to movement speed while in public areas, and it’s a 4 hour buff
• I know it happens around the 1.5 hour mark because my ship buffs have elapsed that amount of time
• My computer is fast enough to handle the game—i7 solid-state drive

I try to keep up with whatever group I’m with by using haste and expeditious retreat items, but these tend to run out at inopportune times and are only a short-term solution. I tried to outrun a hoard of Abishai in The Devil’s Details last Tuesday after they had killed off my mates, but it’s tough to do when you’re doing a Bo Derek beach run in 10.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome regarding this issue.

AbyssalMage
07-31-2015, 02:16 AM
Problem:

After approximately 1.5 hours of play, my character will start moving very slowly upon entering a quest and remain slow in any quest I enter until I redo my ship buffs. Up until that point, all is well. Public areas aren’t affected, but wilderness areas are. This is happening to all of my alts.

• The only ship buff I see involving speed is Chronoscope, and that involves a +40% Enhancement bonus to movement speed while in public areas, and it’s a 4 hour buff
• I know it happens around the 1.5 hour mark because my ship buffs have elapsed that amount of time

I try to keep up with whatever group I’m with by using haste and expeditious retreat items, but these tend to run out at inopportune times and are only a short-term solution. I tried to outrun a hoard of Abishai in The Devil’s Details last Tuesday after they had killed off my mates, but it’s tough to do when you’re doing a Bo Derek beach run in 10.

The above underlines makes me say you need to submit a bug report. I have noticed similar things but nothing consistent as you report so I have, and will continue, to chalk it up to problems on my end. If I am able to repeatedly reproduce the bug, which I will now keep track of, I am more than willing to change my mind.

EllisDee37
07-31-2015, 02:37 AM
My understanding is that the slowness is WAI; the 1.5 hours of being fast is the bug. Specifically, I've seen it said that the chrono ship buff incorrectly applies in quests as long as you have 3+ hours left on your ship buffs.

I suspect it may have to do with either your guild level or your ship type, as I have never benefited from this bug. Our guild is only around level 109 and we have a plat (not astral shard) ship.

Lonnbeimnech
07-31-2015, 03:44 AM
My understanding is that the slowness is WAI; the 1.5 hours of being fast is the bug. Specifically, I've seen it said that the chrono ship buff incorrectly applies in quests as long as you have 3+ hours left on your ship buffs.

I suspect it may have to do with either your guild level or your ship type, as I have never benefited from this bug. Our guild is only around level 109 and we have a plat (not astral shard) ship.

It's that the time of 1.5 is the default, the extended time of ship buffs (3+ hours) are based on the level of the guild.

The 1.5 hours part of the chronoscope buff works inside quests and is not wai, the extended part (based on guild level) does not.

@op, get some striders.

Dandonk
07-31-2015, 04:50 AM
This is why we can't have good things...

Saekee
07-31-2015, 06:34 AM
I don't suppose you might have encumbrance issues remediated by some buff that expires at that time?

Cordovan
07-31-2015, 10:25 AM
How slow are you talking about? If it's super-super slow, is it possible that you have equipped an old over-level item, and it's being partially mitigated by the ship buff?

Seikojin
07-31-2015, 11:42 AM
There is a bug in the game where ship town buff to speed persists in quests. Namely with monks. Is your character a monk?

Other sources for slowness, weight. Or something that invalidates a class ability.

Rig_O_Mortis
07-31-2015, 12:03 PM
Thank you, all, for taking the time to reply.

...you need to submit a bug report.

It may come to that. I am trying to understand the game better, so that I can do more troubleshooting on my own.

We are level 89; the ship is a Daedalean Kraken. No one else in the guild has mentioned having this trouble, but maybe I just haven't heard about it.

It's that the time of 1.5 is the default, the extended time of ship buffs (3+ hours) are based on the level of the guild.

The 1.5 hours part of the chronoscope buff works inside quests and is not wai, the extended part (based on guild level) does not.

@op, get some striders.

Striders?

This is why we can't have good things...

LOL-well, it's good for 1.5 hours.

I don't suppose you might have encumbrance issues remediated by some buff that expires at that time?

Good thought. Except for the Banquet Hall buffs, all the others appear to last for 4 hours. I'm not getting any Burdened or Overloaded status warnings, but I'll pay more attention to my carrying capacity. What's really weird is that multiple characters experience this.

Just checked the character I experienced this issue with last Tuesday--she has a "light" load--227.3/870 lbs.

How slow are you talking about? If it's super-super slow, is it possible that you have equipped an old over-level item, and it's being partially mitigated by the ship buff?

It's pretty slow. Is over-level encumbrance exactly what it sounds like-- that you are wearing or using an item that is too high a level for your character? Wouldn't I get a warning, or would an "old" item not trigger one? Also, except for the Banquet Hall buffs, all the others appear to last for 4 hours.

I'll check my characters' inventories and see what I find.

A 2013 thread (cached page only) on over-level encumbrance indicated it was "permanent"; is this true? (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pJWaMN4HWzcJ:https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/432915-ATTENTION-Over-level-item-encumbrance-permanent!/page3%3Fs%3Dae04ebcb764610ca0b1aa14345e9178f+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

Rig_O_Mortis
07-31-2015, 12:07 PM
There is a bug in the game where ship town buff to speed persists in quests. Namely with monks. Is your character a monk?

Other sources for slowness, weight. Or something that invalidates a class ability.

None of my characters are monks (yet). Could you give me an example of something that invalidates a class ability?

Cordovan
07-31-2015, 12:17 PM
*snip*

It's pretty slow. Is over-level encumbrance exactly what it sounds like-- that you are wearing or using an item that is too high a level for your character? Wouldn't I get a warning, or would an "old" item not trigger one? Also, except for the Banquet Hall buffs, all the others appear to last for 4 hours.

I'll check my characters' inventories and see what I find.

A 2013 thread (cached page only) on over-level encumbrance indicated it was "permanent"; is this true? (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pJWaMN4HWzcJ:https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/432915-ATTENTION-Over-level-item-encumbrance-permanent!/page3%3Fs%3Dae04ebcb764610ca0b1aa14345e9178f+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

It - should - give you a warning. This typically happens when someone logs into a character they haven't played in years, and in the meantime some item had its minimum level increased. The effect is permanent until you unequip the item causing the over-level encumbrance. It's slow-as-molasses slow, so is much slower than what you'd get by unequipping an item that gives you a movement speed boost, for example.

Rig_O_Mortis
07-31-2015, 12:32 PM
It - should - give you a warning. This typically happens when someone logs into a character they haven't played in years, and in the meantime some item had its minimum level increased. The effect is permanent until you unequip the item causing the over-level encumbrance. It's slow-as-molasses slow, so is much slower than what you'd get by unequipping an item that gives you a movement speed boost, for example.

No warning. The most recent occurrence was with a character I created four months ago. I just checked her inventory, and there is nothing over-level; in fact, she is woefully under-equipped. When the effect hits, she is really, really slow.

EllisDee37
07-31-2015, 01:37 PM
Quick test:

Roll up a brand new level 1 cleric. Without any ship buffs or gear, run around. Is that the speed you experience after 1.5 hours, or is it even slower than that?

If slower than a brand new character lurching along, it's probably Burden of Sin. Burden of Sin is REALLY REALLY slow. (Burden of Sin is the overlevel item penalty. IIRC, it's roughly the same movement speed as if you're wrapped in chains from a horned devil.)

LrdSlvrhnd
07-31-2015, 02:13 PM
A guildie and I both had this happen a couple of weeks ago... I didn't notice the time, but it was like running in molasses. Not just "Oh, a buff wore off or I removed my striders" slow, but "wading through water" slow. I'm pretty sure we were both on warlocks, and it happened to her about half an hour after me. It cleared up after a bit (fortunately, because I was running out of expeditious retreat clickies! lol) and I haven't seen it since.

Ellis: In my case, it was WAY worse than "level 1 character with no buffs", it was just slooooooooooow.

LevelJ
07-31-2015, 02:18 PM
Problem:

Interesting...and here I thought it was just me lol.

I've had this same bug...annoyed me to death. This occurred on my Warlock, consistently lasting until the 2 hour mark on my ship buffs (I have not isolated which ship buff, but I know it is one of the newer ones). Refreshing them restores 'full' speed until it hits the 2 hr mark again.

Here's the catch...after checking my gear I found out that I have 0% striding. Yet with this 'full' speed I move as if I have approximately 30-40% run speed. The slowness only seems horridly slow to me by contrast, because it's me walking with no striding items.

Solution: After leveling my character to 27, I at last took care of the issue by putting on a 30% striding augment. I have had no issues of major slow-downs since, although I think I may still be moving faster than 30% sometimes (it's really hard to tell, I use Haste a lot and with the bug from before, I've trained myself to refresh ship buffs at every opportunity).

If I had to guess, I'd blame the chronobuff...I suppose under certain circumstances it may be working in private areas as well as public, though only for half as long as the standard buff. Not 100% certain though. But yea, assuming you don't have speed or striding enchantments/augment on, those may help fix your problem.

...also, while on the topic of weird ship buff issues, the Devourer Shrine is broken...does not provide any spell power (should give +15 cold and +15 acid).

-Jayron

Seikojin
07-31-2015, 02:41 PM
None of my characters are monks (yet). Could you give me an example of something that invalidates a class ability?

Wearing metal as a druid, or anything outside of clothes/robes for a monk. I think for bards, there may be non-bucklers that would affect your swashbuckler stance. Dunno if that would affect run speed for other bard enhancements on run speed, barbs, or any other class with movement increasers.

Rig_O_Mortis
07-31-2015, 03:11 PM
Quick test:

Roll up a brand new level 1 cleric. Without any ship buffs or gear, run around. Is that the speed you experience after 1.5 hours, or is it even slower than that?

If slower than a brand new character lurching along, it's probably Burden of Sin. Burden of Sin is REALLY REALLY slow. (Burden of Sin is the overlevel item penalty. IIRC, it's roughly the same movement speed as if you're wrapped in chains from a horned devil.)

What a great idea since the term "slow" is so relative. I rolled up a level 1 cleric, and she seems to be going faster than my problem-child character (I have seen this effect in other alts). I don't know if I've ever equipped an over-level item during her lifetime, but she has nothing in her current inventory that is over-level. How do you get rid of Burden of Sin? What is the DDO version of baptism?

..."wading through water" slow. I'm pretty sure we were both on warlocks, and it happened to her about half an hour after me. It cleared up after a bit (fortunately, because I was running out of expeditious retreat clickies! lol) and I haven't seen it since.

Ha-"wading through water" is it! The latest character this has happened to is a level 19 WF arti. I've never seen the effect clear up on its own--just after rebuffing.

Interesting...and here I thought it was just me lol.

I've had this same bug...annoyed me to death. This occurred on my Warlock, consistently lasting until the 2 hour mark on my ship buffs (I have not isolated which ship buff, but I know it is one of the newer ones). Refreshing them restores 'full' speed until it hits the 2 hr mark again.

Here's the catch...after checking my gear I found out that I have 0% striding. Yet with this 'full' speed I move as if I have approximately 30-40% run speed. The slowness only seems horridly slow to me by contrast, because it's me walking with no striding items.

Solution: After leveling my character to 27, I at last took care of the issue by putting on a 30% striding augment. I have had no issues of major slow-downs since, although I think I may still be moving faster than 30% sometimes (it's really hard to tell, I use Haste a lot and with the bug from before, I've trained myself to refresh ship buffs at every opportunity).

If I had to guess, I'd blame the chronobuff...I suppose under certain circumstances it may be working in private areas as well as public, though only for half as long as the standard buff. Not 100% certain though. But yea, assuming you don't have speed or striding enchantments/augment on, those may help fix your problem.

You're right, the WF arti does not have a speed item.

Some of my characters do have speed items that haven't been unequipped during their slowdown. None of my guild mates have expressed a similar problem. Hmm...I'll have to do some more research. *grins*

I appreciate all the ideas!

EllisDee37
07-31-2015, 03:32 PM
Wading through water is (significantly) faster than burden of sin, IIRC. If you've never been chained, it's super duper double-plus slow.

A test for burden of sin:

Next time you get slowed to a crawl, unequip everything so you're completely naked then relog. (Don't wait too long; if you're solo and log out for more than 5 minutes you'll get booted from the quest.) Are you still slow after relogging and still naked?

Further test:

Same thing as above, but do it next to a shrine. This time after getting naked, /death yourself and rez at the shrine. Still slow? Try relogging now, then if still slow /death and rez again.

hp1055cm
07-31-2015, 04:10 PM
Problem:

This happened to me on Argo about 1 month ago but no longer seems to be a problem. I never did determine the exact cause of it, nor am I aware of why it no longer happens. At the time I had a low level human monk character (levels 3-7 maybe) that would periodically revert to slow motion movement speed after awhile until I refreshed my ship buffs, including the Chrono speed buff.
Re-logging would not correct it. Equipping or removing a striding/speed item would not affect my movement. Once I reverted to slow motion it would persist in quests, explorer areas and in public areas.
Refreshing ship buffs always fixed it, albeit temporarily.

*It feels a lot like the over-level item penalty (Burden of Sin) but that was not the cause of it. This was a new, first life character.

The monk is level 11 now and the issue no longer occurs. I am unaware of any reason for it but suspected at the time it had something to do with the Chrono buff. Another Chrono bug I was aware of in which the buff persisted even while in quests did seem to apply to this character. (Though I did not do any extensive testing on it)

Violith
07-31-2015, 04:51 PM
This happened to me on Argo about 1 month ago but no longer seems to be a problem. I never did determine the exact cause of it, nor am I aware of why it no longer happens. At the time I had a low level human monk character (levels 3-7 maybe) that would periodically revert to slow motion movement speed after awhile until I refreshed my ship buffs, including the Chrono speed buff.
Re-logging would not correct it. Equipping or removing a striding/speed item would not affect my movement. Once I reverted to slow motion it would persist in quests, explorer areas and in public areas.
Refreshing ship buffs always fixed it, albeit temporarily.

*It feels a lot like the over-level item penalty (Burden of Sin) but that was not the cause of it. This was a new, first life character.

The monk is level 11 now and the issue no longer occurs. I am unaware of any reason for it but suspected at the time it had something to do with the Chrono buff. Another Chrono bug I was aware of in which the buff persisted even while in quests did seem to apply to this character. (Though I did not do any extensive testing on it)

not really sure if it happened to my other character, but I did notice on my warlock that sometimes it'd get alto slower. usually happened in chain stance (and the switching off and on the stance while moving would occassional fix it), so just figured it was tied to that.

Rig_O_Mortis
07-31-2015, 06:06 PM
Wearing metal as a druid, or anything outside of clothes/robes for a monk. I think for bards, there may be non-bucklers that would affect your swashbuckler stance. Dunno if that would affect run speed for other bard enhancements on run speed, barbs, or any other class with movement increasers.

Ah, I see-thank you for the examples!

Rig_O_Mortis
07-31-2015, 06:09 PM
Wading through water is (significantly) faster than burden of sin, IIRC. If you've never been chained, it's super duper double-plus slow.

A test for burden of sin:

Next time you get slowed to a crawl, unequip everything so you're completely naked then relog. (Don't wait too long; if you're solo and log out for more than 5 minutes you'll get booted from the quest.) Are you still slow after relogging and still naked?

Further test:

Same thing as above, but do it next to a shrine. This time after getting naked, /death yourself and rez at the shrine. Still slow? Try relogging now, then if still slow /death and rez again.

No, wading through water is more like what I am experiencing. I have been chained, and it is not that slow. Your tests are excellent; I will continue to experiment.

J-mann
07-31-2015, 10:57 PM
not really sure if it happened to my other character, but I did notice on my warlock that sometimes it'd get alto slower. usually happened in chain stance (and the switching off and on the stance while moving would occassional fix it), so just figured it was tied to that.

I know that it was once possible to get your character stuck in moving at casting speed (one half normal) as a warlock, but it has supposedly been fixed. Mayhaps you have found some wayward way to still trigger this bug?

xaniri
08-03-2015, 03:43 AM
Most of the people in our guild do get this "slow-bug", as we have nicknamed it, every now and then. We have done a lot of testing but still not really sure about the cause. We believe it is related to the shipbuffs. We are currently a level83 guild with a kraken. Most of the times we get rid of the problem by renewing shipbuffs, that works 95+% of the times, and when it does not I usually switch to another character, do one quest and switch back and have everything back to normal again. It always happen when you step into a quest or wilderness, but most often when you are in a wilderness and step into a quest, which has led us to believe it has something to do chronoscope-buff. It either get removed twice, first when you step into wilderness and a 2nd time when you step into the quest, or we keep the buff while inside most of the quests and only notice it when it disappears while inside quest.
Most of the guild have started to take shipbuffs as soon as they log on, as that seem to help avoiding this problem.

Vargouille
08-03-2015, 10:14 AM
I know that it was once possible to get your character stuck in moving at casting speed (one half normal) as a warlock, but it has supposedly been fixed. Mayhaps you have found some wayward way to still trigger this bug?

As far as we know this was fixed before Warlock ever hit live (aka before Update 26). If someone believes this is happening on Warlocks on live now, please submit a bug report on it, using the link in my signature. (I'm fairly certain we've never gotten any bug reports of this since Update 26.)

Postumus
08-03-2015, 03:05 PM
No, wading through water is more like what I am experiencing. I have been chained, and it is not that slow. Your tests are excellent; I will continue to experiment.

If you're talking about Rhylan, it isn't the burden of guilt. The rest of us would have definitely noticed it.

I've noticed the slow mo effect on some of my guys as well, but never made the connection to ship buffs. I'll keep my eyes on my buffs the next time it hits.

FestusHood
08-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Most of the people in our guild do get this "slow-bug", as we have nicknamed it, every now and then. We have done a lot of testing but still not really sure about the cause. We believe it is related to the shipbuffs. We are currently a level83 guild with a kraken. Most of the times we get rid of the problem by renewing shipbuffs, that works 95+% of the times, and when it does not I usually switch to another character, do one quest and switch back and have everything back to normal again. It always happen when you step into a quest or wilderness, but most often when you are in a wilderness and step into a quest, which has led us to believe it has something to do chronoscope-buff. It either get removed twice, first when you step into wilderness and a 2nd time when you step into the quest, or we keep the buff while inside most of the quests and only notice it when it disappears while inside quest.
Most of the guild have started to take shipbuffs as soon as they log on, as that seem to help avoiding this problem.

I suspect that it is the chronoscope buff. It is giving it's speed bonus while in quests and instances, but not for the entire duration of the buff. It lasts approximately an hour. Try equipping a speed or striding item when this "slow-bug" hits and see if it makes a difference. Because the speed buff works for the entire duration while in public areas, that's why you are noticing it having run out only when you step into a quest or wilderness. Also i'll bet you speed up again when you go back into a public instance.

Rig_O_Mortis
08-10-2015, 10:47 AM

It is sounding more and more like the Chronoscope buff is the source of this issue. The easiest thing, of course, is to just rebuff at the 1.5 hour mark; however, that gets tricky when I'm running with a group--particularly groups that are way more experienced than I am (umm...that would be most groups). As great as the people in these groups have been, I'm trying not to poke the bear.

If you're talking about Rhylan, it isn't the burden of guilt. The rest of us would have definitely noticed it.

I've noticed the slow mo effect on some of my guys as well, but never made the connection to ship buffs. I'll keep my eyes on my buffs the next time it hits.

Rhylan was the latest manifestation; some other alts have experienced this as well. At least Burden of Guilt has been eliminated as a possible cause-thanks.

I suspect that it is the chronoscope buff. It is giving it's speed bonus while in quests and instances, but not for the entire duration of the buff. It lasts approximately an hour. Try equipping a speed or striding item when this "slow-bug" hits and see if it makes a difference. Because the speed buff works for the entire duration while in public areas, that's why you are noticing it having run out only when you step into a quest or wilderness. Also i'll bet you speed up again when you go back into a public instance.

Yes, I do speed up again when I go back into a public area. I recently picked up a Skirmisher's Belt, so I'm hoping that helps.

If the Chronoscope buff is the issue, I find it interesting that some players experience the slow mo, and other don't, and that some characters experience it, and others don't. Another mystery of the universe.

Razor_Wit
08-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Just wanted to chime in and confirm I experience this issue as well. For me, the change in movement speed would be more like having my Phiarlan Time Pendant on in the city and then stepping into a quest with no speed/striders on. Its obvious. For me it occurs just about at 2.5 hours from first receiving ship buffs refresh. Its fixed by refreshing ship buffs.

Frotz
08-10-2015, 01:25 PM
I just noticed that sometimes the old Chronoscope buff isn't being removed from the icon list when I refresh. I never caught an old version running out, so I don't know what if anything happens then.

Rig_O_Mortis
08-10-2015, 11:23 PM
Just wanted to chime in and confirm I experience this issue as well. For me, the change in movement speed would be more like having my Phiarlan Time Pendant on in the city and then stepping into a quest with no speed/striders on. Its obvious. For me it occurs just about at 2.5 hours from first receiving ship buffs refresh. Its fixed by refreshing ship buffs.

That's it! My ship buffs usually read around the 2.5 hour mark, too (1.5 elapsed time). It would be great to have a 4 hour buff for...um...4 hours.

I just noticed that sometimes the old Chronoscope buff isn't being removed from the icon list when I refresh. I never caught an old version running out, so I don't know what if anything happens then.

The Chronoscope buff sounds buggy--yes?