PDA

View Full Version : First FvS

wlmartin
07-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Its my first FvS, unlocked previously and just TR'ed from my rogue.
I went with a high wis, med/high con/cha and rest dump.

My goal at the moment is to re-learn the game after a LONG absense, so I am going to embrace the newbie quests and really teach myself what the game is about again.
I will still be looking for good XP progression and optimizing my experience though.

I don't know the best progression for a caster based FvS from 1-28.
Do I just go sword+board until I pickup decent spells and then just start down that path?
What tips/tricks are good for FvS that arent used to playing one?

Tom116
07-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Its my first FvS, unlocked previously and just TR'ed from my rogue.
I went with a high wis, med/high con/cha and rest dump.

My goal at the moment is to re-learn the game after a LONG absense, so I am going to embrace the newbie quests and really teach myself what the game is about again.
I will still be looking for good XP progression and optimizing my experience though.

I don't know the best progression for a caster based FvS from 1-28.
Do I just go sword+board until I pickup decent spells and then just start down that path?
What tips/tricks are good for FvS that arent used to playing one?

If you have a druid past life, I usually use the biggest weapon I can use to beat down mobs until L3, then flame blade (a wis based scimmy) from the druid PL until L6, swapping it out for whatever you wanted. L6 you start to get decent spells, so from there you can be a caster :)

If no druid PL, just melee through until L6 I guess, or whenever you feel you've got the spells to start killing mobs well :)

Thalone
07-20-2015, 06:12 PM
In addition to the Flame Blade suggestion, there's a list of some nontraditional stat weapons on the wiki (http://ddowiki.com/page/List_of_weapons_with_unusual_attack_or_damage_mods ), but I would not advocate making any special attempt to farm them for the low-level stuff, especially if you can't get proficiency via race/multiclass or Master's Touch scrolls.

My experience with caster FvS is that it is utterly painful until you unlock level 4 spells (Holy Smite) so you can do some decent mass damage. At that point, I would call it moderately frustrating. Remember as a caster, your DCs should be able to get Soundburst to stick, which is +50% damage for six seconds against helpless targets. Then, once you pick up level 5 spells, it's only a little frustrating (Greater Command, Slay Living, Flame Strike). Then when you unlock level 6 spells (Blade Barrier), it's off to the races, and you finally understand why you're playing a divine.

One tip I will give you is that your blue bar on a caster is the way you kill stuff. I would tend to carry pots/wands/scrolls for everything reasonable, instead of dipping into SP to heal/remove status effects/etc. Once you start casting, some DC gear/caster power weapons will be a great help. These can probably be found on your server's auction house.